BROADWAY CLOSINGS - call it!

keb2
Stand-by
Posted: 6/21/12 at 06:34pm
17 in the Ghost orchestra plus the conductor, and 27 in the cast including swings. Apparently it may go on tour, also, though I guess that doesn't have much bearing on how long it stays on Broadway. I imagine they'll use the UK sets if it's still open in NY once it starts touring.
Bwaydide92
Featured Actor
Posted: 6/22/12 at 12:04pm
Did JCS ever officially announce? They said that if business didn't approve they would be closing, but they never made the official announcement.
oasisjeff
Broadway Star
Posted: 6/24/12 at 12:36am
JCS was official the next day.
Now t/d/b/a haterobics on here.
Bwaydide92
Featured Actor
Posted: 6/24/12 at 12:44am
Wow, I must have missed that. I just heard about the possible closing then that they were issuing refunds
taboo123
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/24/12 at 02:49pm
Next batch of predictions:

**Ghost
**The Lyons (is that limited engagement? not sure)
and I'm going to go out on a limb and say
Memphis.

Side note:
Rock of AGes -has shot up in sales to almost 100% the last 2 weeks- the film has given it decent publicity, or at least spiked curiosity...
bdn223
Broadway Star
Posted: 6/24/12 at 03:00pm
The Lyons already announced its closing Sunday July 1st
If Ghost doesn't announce by the end of this week, it is going to run the summer

Memphis is either going to close come October when Pascal and Glover's contracts are up...or they are going to try extend them through the Holidays and it will be the first show in over a decade (Ragtime and Jekyll and Hyde) to run for nearly three years and never recoup its investmen. It won't be the longest run at a loss though, which still goes to Rock of Ages(which still has another 2-3year left in it) which has ran for nearly 4 years and still hasnt recouped it's investment
Fosse76
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/25/12 at 03:59pm
Memphis is ecpected to close after the holidays, though it doesn't look promising that it will make it that long.
Chicago Star
Leading Actor
Posted: 6/25/12 at 04:02pm
I'm guessing
Ghost
Memphis
and War Horse
TheaterBoy7777
Broadway Star
Posted: 6/25/12 at 04:08pm
Ghost's running cost must be under $600,000. For 9 weeks during the run they have been in the $500,000's. I can't imagine they would do that many weeks in the red.... I thought we might see a closing announcement this past week but perhaps it will run the summer.

edit:9 weeks not 10
Checkout my Broadway Marquee Page! www.BroadwayFlasher.com
Updated On: 6/25/12 at 04:08 PM
wicked4l
Leading Actor
Posted: 6/25/12 at 11:19pm
From what I've heard from someone who works at the theatre, GHOST is planning on being there through the summer.
taboo123
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/26/12 at 01:14pm
so was jesus christ superstar
Pammylicious
Broadway Star
Posted: 6/26/12 at 04:22pm
Ghost is offering a discount code on Facebook until July 27. I think they will be opened for the entire summer.
Rainbowhigh23
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/26/12 at 04:27pm
I've been getting lots of emails for Ghost discounts. There is no way they would close now with the summer season just beginning - the tourists will flock to this show and Sister Act.
tphiliboy152
Stand-by
Posted: 6/26/12 at 07:39pm
Memphis is closing August 5th.

Anything Goes has been moved up to July 8th.

I am honestly shocked and upset with both. Unlike a lot of people, I actually really enjoyed Memphis and would like to see the Broadway company.
Shows Seen: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Wicked Chicago, Mary Poppins, Grease, Lion King x3 (Broadway & Tour), The Phantom of the Opera, Wicked Broadway x6, Les Miserables National Tour, Next to Normal National Tour, The Addams Family, Newsies, Sister Act x2 (Broadway & Tour), Warhorse, Jekyll & Hyde National Tour, Catch Me If You Can National Tour, American Idiot National Tour, Wicked 1NT x23, We Will Rock You National Tour, Pippin, Porgy and Bess National Tour, If/Then, Beautiful: The Carole King Musical, Les Miserables Broadway Revival
DAME
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/26/12 at 07:42pm
Can't wait to see what goes next at the Shubert.
HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
taboo123
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/26/12 at 09:08pm
http://broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-News-Tony-Winning-MEMPHIS-to-Close-on-Broadway-August-5-West-End-Production-Coming-Soon-20120626

damn we're calling it good!

memphis wasn't even in the dialogue until just this weekend and there we go.
frogs_fan85
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/27/12 at 03:21pm
GHOST is on TDF for much of the next three weeks.

As was said in a few other threads, they might benefit from the spate of recent closings and pick up sales that would have otherwise gone to those now closed shows.
EponineAmneris
Broadway Legend
Posted: 6/27/12 at 03:39pm
I predict that GHOST will be next.
"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS
Bwaydide92
Featured Actor
Posted: 6/30/12 at 10:50pm
Ghost must have an insanely low weekly nut if it expects to make it through the summer. Sales really haven't improved at all even with the mass of closings and all the discounts they're offering. I expect it to post within the next few weeks. I don't see it going beyond July.
THEATRICAL100
Featured Actor
Posted: 7/1/12 at 12:19am
I agree with bwaydide. Any discount eligibility dates can be disregarded at any time. Ghost doesn't seem like it'll last past early July, but they'd have to post a notice soon.
Marla: I have to go sing about a life I never led.
keb2
Stand-by
Posted: 7/1/12 at 01:36am
I was at Anything Goes today, and while the show is in fantastic hands (just as good as, if not better than when I saw it in November), I understand why they're closing. About half the mezzanine was empty (I couldn't see the orchestra). Also, I think the matinee audience was asleep! My friends and I were the only ones laughing at some (very funny imo) parts of the show. So I understand why they're closing—I'm just sad about it. Here's to a wonderful tour, though!
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
Posted: 7/1/12 at 01:53am
Did Anything Goes recoup?
"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
keb2
Stand-by
Posted: 7/1/12 at 02:28am
Anything Goes is a Roundabout show, so it's not-for-profit. I don't think recouping is relevant?

see p. 2 of this book: http://www.sc.edu/uscpress/books/2010/3907x.pdf
bwayphreak234
Broadway Legend
Posted: 7/1/12 at 02:38am
^ Thank you!!!
"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
Idiot
Broadway Star
Posted: 7/1/12 at 02:53am
"Ghost must have an insanely low weekly nut if it expects to make it through the summer."

Well, computers aren't union.
bdn223
Broadway Star
Posted: 7/1/12 at 11:01am
BwayPhreak The issue with Anything Goes as well as all non-for-profit hits and misses is that if they announce their recoupment then they are openly admitting that they are making a profit off the show which would possibly void their tax exempt status.
Non profits have a budget per season that is based off donations and subscribers. Any "profit" made off a show/season isn't used for a year because they already budgeted the following seasons. This is why is you look at roundabout they only do a big budget musical revival every 18 months instead of every year in hopes that they can build up funds from one show to make another.

Page: