Comscore

Musicals for high school production (large cast)

arielle_<3sjb
Swing
1. This sucks but, somehow I can't log into my second account, so don't hate on me, because no... i do no "<3sjb" ... i was like 10 (in my mind. and unfortunately in grade.)

2. My school is looking for a musical this year because my director can't seeem to find one. We need one that has a large cast and many roles. Can anyone help name a few? We're pretty desperate, especially us seniors. Thank you
Updated On: 1/11/10 at 06:14 AM
ggersten
Broadway Legend
Go to the MTI Website or the Samuel French website and search around. Not knowing the size of your school, the talent levels of males and females - whether you can get enough boys - do you have people who can handle choreography - and any political considerations - it's kind of hard to make a suggestion.

If your director is having a hard time coming up with a musical, perhaps the director is not as interested, in which case, the directing is probably not going to be very good. Or giving the director credit, the talent levels at the school of which s/he is familiar won't support many large musicals.

It's a little confusing why the seniors are "desperate" If they really love theatre, they must have some shows in mind. Perhpas the director has vetoed those choices. It would help to know that as well. I would have the seniors get together with a wish list and go that way.

MTI Website
Updated On: 1/11/10 at 08:04 AM
Square Peg2 Profile Photo
Square Peg2
Understudy
I think the right answer for any school production is The Pajama Game. Large cast, lots of roles, all of which are super fun, and great score.
arielle_<3sjb
Swing
Thanks for the website, that will help a lot!
We're pretty equal for male and female -perhaps more female- and we have a great choreographer in the senior year aswell. So basically it's up to him, if he wants to do one or not. He's just saying that he can't think of one. Which is kind of ridiculous because I know there's a ton out there... we're just having a hard time coming up with a decent list.

And though the seniors are desperate... not all of them "know" theatre, or have a wide range of musical knowledge. So they've been asking me, and as you can see I'm having some difficulty too.

Square Peg, I competely forgot about The Pajama Game! Thank you!
Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
Broadway Legend
ILuv2shop531 Profile Photo
ILuv2shop531
Broadway Star
Hmmm maybe Thoroughly Modern Millie?
IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
Broadway Legend
Titanic!

Tough score, and some potentiality difficult technical elements, but there are at least 25 named characters in the show, if not more.

You also would need a lot of men.
"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards
Updated On: 1/11/10 at 03:10 PM
bwaylvsong Profile Photo
bwaylvsong
Broadway Legend
Anything Goes!
romgitsean
Broadway Star
Pippin? Better yet...Urinetwon?

Edit: Depending how good the talent is...Beauty and the Beast, maybe? Aida? The Pajama Game is a really good idea. It's a fun show.

Most shows on MTI's website are decent.
Recent Broadway and Off-Broadway:: Carrie, Merrily, Ionescopade
Next On The List :: Clybourne Park, Once, Streetcar, BOM
Updated On: 1/11/10 at 03:55 PM
Larcen26 Profile Photo
Larcen26
Understudy
Actually one of the best shows I have seen for a High School lately is "All Shook Up"

It is funny, and the music isn't all that complicated. And there are something like 6 male and 6 female roles that all have their own solos and/or individual scenes...it is surprisingly good for a High School.
Baritone in search of a role in a new musical...
arielle_<3sjb
Swing
Pgenre - and the joke never gets old.
though i'd rather shoot myself in the face. :)

I have Titanic, Thoroughly Modern Millie, and Aida on the list but I'll be adding All Shook Up and Anything Goes.
Thanks a lot everyone! :)
I'll know the fate of our musical by the end of tomorrow
AEA AGMA SM Profile Photo
AEA AGMA SM
Broadway Legend
Joseph is always a very popular choice in high schools, as is Godspell.
Did you know that every day Mexican gays cross our borders and unplug our brain-dead ladies?
karen24 Profile Photo
karen24
Leading Actor
My son's high school is very big on music and arts and they do a big musical every year, and sometimes a smaller one in the spring as well. This year the big show is "Guys and Dolls." Here are some of the ones they've done in prior years:

Les Miserables
Fiddler on the Roof
Beauty and the Beast
West Side Story
42nd St
Camelot
A Chorus Line
Little Shop of Horrors

"Les Mis" is quite challenging vocally (although they did do the student version, which cuts out a few of the more complicated singing parts) but it can accomodate a *huge* cast. "Fiddler" is always fun, the kids really seemed to enjoy that one. We moved here after the others had been done but I've heard from my son's friends that "Beauty & the Beast" was kind of a pain because of the costume requirements (I think they rented some of them, but that can get expensive.)
Hope this helps!
Maggie-the-schnoodle
ILuv2shop531 Profile Photo
ILuv2shop531
Broadway Star
Fiddler on the Roof?
& that's great, let us know the out come!
arielle_<3sjb
Swing
Karen24 - thanks! I love Les Mis and Fiddler, they're two of my favorites. He already said he won't do Les Mis, but I did suggest Fiddler on the Roof. It's just difficult because we can't do a musical that has been put on by any of the schools around here from the last few years (including a number on your list). And those often happen to be the best.

TILuv2shop- thanks also! i texted him some of the ideas and his reply as "we'll see" - don't know what that means. We're having a meeting tomorrow.
Maceman91
Stand-by
Back to the 80's (MTI) is a wonderful show for high schoolers! It has songs everybody knows, brings in a crowd, and is just fun! My school has done a multitude of shows and this was BY FAR the most enjoyable show I have ever been apart of. Oh! We sold out all 4 shows we put on and two of them sold out days before the show opened (300 seat theatre).
ooliveros Profile Photo
ooliveros
Broadway Star
Disney's HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL ONSTAGE
Regional Director
Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
Broadway Legend
My high school usually did shows with large ensembles, if that is what you are looking for.

Some examples I can think of off the top of my head:
Mame
Fiddler on the Roof
Once Upon a Mattress
42nd Street
The Music Man
Annie
Guys and Dolls
Carousel

And lots of others.
"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates
kristinchenofan570 Profile Photo
kristinchenofan570
Stand-by
My school is doing The Wedding Singer and we have over 70 kids in the show..it's really good for a big cast because they're a lot of smaller roles plus ensamble
Remember when drama was only on the stage?
AwesomeDanny Profile Photo
AwesomeDanny
Broadway Legend
Another good licensing site to look at it Rodgers & Hammerstein Theatricals at rnh.com. They have fewer than MTI, but they license Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals along with many others, including the Andrew Lloyd Webber ones, I believe.
gypsy4 Profile Photo
gypsy4
Broadway Legend
heres the list of show my high school has done!

Li'l Abner
Grease
Anything Goes
Fiddler
Kiss Me kate
Guys and dolls
Crazy For You
OKLAHOMA

and were currently doing Godspell.
CrazierThanYou Profile Photo
CrazierThanYou
Chorus Member
Once Upon a Mattress is usually a very popular choice. Very flexible cast, lots of female roles and an easy show to learn. :)

- Love and Respect
ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
Broadway Legend
INTO THE WOODS. But only if you have singers who can handle the score.
arielle_<3sjb
Swing
So, the musical is on. We're all very excited!
Looks like it's going to be either Cats or Tommy...
Thanks for all your suggestions anyway!
Dantes
Broadway Star
Fame
Footloose
former sadm2 (wink)
MusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
Broadway Star
STAY AWAY FROM KATZ. KATZ, KATZ, KATZ!!!!!

My prayers are with you at this time - you'll never live to tell the tale of doing KATZ. It's almost as bad as WYKUD.

xoxo

(Go with TOMMY.)
When I think about you, I touch myself.

Page:

Advertisement Advertisement