Comscore

'The King and I' characters and roles.

On_Avenue_Payt Profile Photo
On_Avenue_Payt
Chorus Member
Posted: 8/17/09 at 10:37pm
I've only seen the movie, and I know the stage show is different. So, for someone who has seen the show or read the script, can someone tell me how much the male characters in the show actually have to do in terms of amount of lines and stage time?

King
Kralahome
Lun Tha
Louis
Chululongkorn
Phra Alack
Capt. Orton
The Interpreter
Sir Edward Ramsey

Thanks in advance.
"I'm afraid this offer comes off the table... at midnight tonight." "...maybe the worst bluff I've ever seen." "Even the members of GOBIAS could agree on that one."
Jon
Broadway Legend
Phra Alack and The interpreter are tiny roles andcan actualy becombined. Capt. Orton is only in the first scene. Ramsey has 2 scenes in Act 2.

The first five roles listed are all large and similar to the film. One of Lun Tha's songs was cut in the movie. Also, Louis and Prince Chulalongkorn have a reprise of "A Puzzlement" which was not in the movie.
zackyboy
Swing
Hi by any chance you remember which scene the interpreter came out?

Thanks.
Jon
Broadway Legend
Posted: 4/12/12 at 11:05am
The Interpereter is in the first scene, when the Kralahome cones to meet Anna on the ship.
JohnyBroadway Profile Photo
JohnyBroadway
Broadway Legend
Captain. orton appears in Act Two during the processional.
Jon
Broadway Legend
Maybe in some production you saw, or were in. However, there is no "processional" in the script, and Capt. Orton does not appear after the first scene.

Advertisement