NYTimes article on ONCE Fan (95+ times)

AEA AGMA SM
Broadway Legend
It's so ironic, Clyde; like rain on your wedding day, or a black fly in your c****nay.
Did you know that every day Mexican gays cross our borders and unplug our brain-dead ladies?
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
She's been on twitter since February 2009. That's not a huge number of tweets for someone who's been on that long, honestly.
"Don't patronize me, alright?" - BroadwayStar4
orangeskittles
Broadway Legend
"The article in and of itself makes it different from someone like Joel."

Pick up the Rent book. Turn to page 133. (Or do a page search on Amazon.) Now, tell me again how this article is so much different than Joel.

Just because the article invites critcism doesn't mean people here need to be the ringleaders and pick apart things tweet counts for fodder. You've been around here long enough to know not to cast stones in glass houses, Winston. How many times have you seen Phantom, by the way?
Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
SonofRobbieJ
Broadway Legend
^ Yes. That. That in a nutshell.

It KILLS me that people are judging the choice she's making with her life...saying that she's opening herself up to criticism by doing the New York Times article.

But here's the thing. It is YOUR choice to make a comment and judge. YOU are making the choice to do the criticizing to which she's opened herself by doing that article. I mean...you don't see that? No one is forcing you to act like raging Cunts. If she's opened herself up to criticism by doing the article, you sure as Shit have opened yourself to criticism by behaving in such a way.
Eris0303
Broadway Legend
Assistant Managers are usually full-time. And retail shifts usually change from week-to-week, that's why I was not sure how she has time to a see show so often.

I was a part-time assistant at a children's clothing store. She could easily be part-time. I always found the time and the money to go to at least one Phillies game per homestand back then. And, yes, people judged me for going as often as did. But, I loved it there and wouldn't trade those days for anything in the world.

There will come a day when she won't be able to do this so I don't blame her for taking advantage of it now. My life has changed since my retail days and I haven't been to a Phillies game since 2011.
"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".
Updated On: 2/12/13 at 11:17 AM
After Eight
Broadway Legend
"She seems sad and stressed by the backlash"

That's the saddest thing about this whole story.

Here was a person who was not hurting anyone, thoroughy enioying what she was doing, who now ends up being saddened by the comments of others. That is sad.

At the very least, I would have expected more support and understanding from fellow theatre-lovers on a theatre chat board.

I hope that this will now in no way spoil her joy in doing what she is doing.
winston89
Broadway Legend
Orangeskittles,

The article is different because it opens up Aimee in a more public forum then the Rent book did. The only people who would ever pickup/buy the Rent coffee table book are those who are either already theatre fans or fans of the show. Furthermore, I have been open and honest with the fact that, while I do enjoy enjoy seeing shows more then once, I have never cared enough to keep a running tally, nor am I someone who has to see the same show on a weekly bais to the point where I know the front of house staff/members of the cast on a semi personal level.

The point that I have made earlier in this thread is that I can relate to people who see shows frequently or have a favorite show. In the interest of full disclosure, Once does happen to be one of my favorite shows. But, I don't love it enough (or any show for that matter) to go back week after week like clockwork. If/when I do go back to see a show again, there is often a lengthy break between the performances I attend. And, with regards to Phantom, I've been there like, three, four times over the years. So, your argument there clearly holds no water.

And, lastly, like I said, when you put yourself out there in a public forum, you're opening up yourself for criticism of the good, bad and ugly verity. And, this thread has run the gamut of all possible kinds of criticism. Some are valid questions, some are people sticking their nose where it doesn't belong. But, everyone here on a public forum is entitled to say what they want to say. And, I should add, that no one ever really says that someone is being hurtful when they tear apart a Broadway actors performance in a given show or when they tear apart a show that they don't like. Reason being is that, if you put yourself out there, you need to realize that there can be inadvertent negativity that comes along with it. Not saying that I agree with it or saying that it is good. Just saying that it's a natural consequence of putting yourself out there in a public forum.
"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll
After Eight
Broadway Legend
"And, lastly, like I said, when you put yourself out there in a public forum, you're opening up yourself for criticism of the good, bad and ugly verity."

Criticism of what? She's done nothing wrong. Her life is not being offered up to paying customers for their approval, like a play or performer is. Nor is she answerable to anyone for her behavior but herself.
Kelly2
Broadway Legend
"Criticism of what? She's done nothing wrong. Her life is not being offered up to paying customers for their approval, like a play or performer is. Nor is she answerable to anyone for her behavior but herself."

There was an article written about her and a very popular show in a major newspaper. People discuss the content of articles they read. That's pretty normal. If she did not want to be a part of that discussion, she could easily have turned down the opportunity.

I don't think she did anything wrong by doing the piece, but to say it cannot be discussed critically or that every comment made must be a supportive one is very silly.
"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Broadway Legend
Can I judge her for misusing apostrophes on her Twitter feed? She called the people of BWW Bettie's.

ETA: Now the tweets are protected. She's on to you, Bettie's [sic]!

Updated On: 2/12/13 at 01:09 PM
After Eight
Broadway Legend
^

I think it's no one's place to judge her, even though anyone can say whatever they wish on a public forum.

It's also not very nice.
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Broadway Legend
I just feel like using apostrophes incorrectly is just about the most egregious and unforgivable error someone can make. That and saying "myself" instead of "me" or "I."

Love the sinner, hate the sin.
basketcase
Featured Actor
Whether she opened herself to criticism or not, can we all agree to stop beating this dead horse? Picking apart her grammar and Twitter usage seems like just as much of a waste if time as you all seem to think her waiting in line for Once tickets is.
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
What does she tweet about?
Brian07663NJ
Broadway Legend
was interested in reading as well, went to look but she has since made her tweets private.
Up next: Apr 01 Hedwig and the Angry Inch; Apr 05 Charo at RamsHead OnStage; Apr 07 Lady Gaga at Roseland Ballroom; Apr 13 Amaluna next to Citi Field; Apr 18 Disney Junior at MSG Theatre; May 06 Aladdin; May 13 Artpop Ball Lady Gaga at MSG; Jun 07 Varekai in Bridgeport, CT Jul 12 1:30pm Side Show; Jul 12 8:30pm Fantasia w/National Symphony Orchestra; Aug 16 The Visit: Williamstown Festival
KylePKJP
Stand-by
A lot of people on this thread seem to have a case of protesting too much. Perhaps Aimee's enthusiasm for Once strikes a little TOO close to home for them and their own obsessiveness/posessivenes over a show.

If this is what brings her happiness who cares? A lot of you need to pi$$ off with your opinions and worry about what is going on in your own backyard.

No one person's happiness is nor needs to be the same as the next. Where do some of you even get off speculating on any mental health issue you think she may have? Out of ALL the crazies in the world to be concerned about, some of you are overly, unfairly and disturbingly concerned with the work schedule and free time use of this woman.

She gets out. She gets into the city. Girl got more of a life than you do. Think about that.

Updated On: 2/12/13 at 02:57 PM
Brian07663NJ
Broadway Legend
Perhaps her tweets would be interesting to understand what she found facinating each night she attended like when first nighters discuss just that one performance. Possibly her tweets would show how she noticed characters develop over time, actors growing into the role, etc. Not many people can do that but she can. So reading her tweets would not necessarily be bashing her but to show an interest into what she might be witnessing that others do not have time to invest like she has.
Up next: Apr 01 Hedwig and the Angry Inch; Apr 05 Charo at RamsHead OnStage; Apr 07 Lady Gaga at Roseland Ballroom; Apr 13 Amaluna next to Citi Field; Apr 18 Disney Junior at MSG Theatre; May 06 Aladdin; May 13 Artpop Ball Lady Gaga at MSG; Jun 07 Varekai in Bridgeport, CT Jul 12 1:30pm Side Show; Jul 12 8:30pm Fantasia w/National Symphony Orchestra; Aug 16 The Visit: Williamstown Festival
Kelly2
Broadway Legend
There's now a Twitter movement to get this thread taken down for "personal abuse" against Ms. Aimee. Lordy. Well, it was fun to read while it lasted.

Unfortunate that someone so willing to use their "love" of a show when it benefits them is so unwilling to have a dialogue about the issues she raised.
Updated On: 2/12/13 at 04:38 PM
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Wait. A "Twitter movement"?
yes, you
Jordan Catalano
Broadway Legend
It's like a bowel movement but without the smell.
Kelly2
Broadway Legend
Yeah, there are a few tweets I've noticed being RT'D around from I guess friends of hers (?) and the like calling for the thread to be reported to BWW for abuse.
BeadleDeedle
Understudy
Wow. What kind of abuse has been seen in this thread? Some people are so touchy.
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
I can think of a few shows I'd see as many times as I could if the means were available. I bet most of us would. The judgy immature mean-girl bitchiness sounds like a bunch of Southern Baptist suburban soccer moms with nothing else to do.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Morgaine885
Featured Actor
I still don't think there is anything too nasty/terrible on this thread.

It was called a 'Character Study.' Obviously, the NY Times saw something about this girl that was unusual and newsworthy, and therefor, sparking conversation.

I'm sorry she's upset, but if she's really secure with herself and why she goes to the show all the time, then it should be water off a duck's back. I don't find the "she needs a life" comments bad...I mean, don't we all hear that in regards to something at some point in our lives? Knowing too much about celebrities, watching Real Housewives, whatever.

The fact that she's so upset and thinks this is all abusive in anyway speaks volumes that she's not that secure with herself. If she was, she'd laugh at it.

Updated On: 2/12/13 at 07:06 PM
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Broadway Legend

Some are saying this thread has gone a step too far. Like Aida.

FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
It's nice that Gay/Straight Alliance has a new goal to work towards.

Shut it down! Shut it down! Shut it down!
yes, you

BROADWAYWORLD TV