Printer Friendly - re: Fired ANNIE to be on this season of American Idol

Fired ANNIE to be on this season of American Idol
Posted by Yankeefan007 2008-12-04 08:11:37

Well she's certainly grown up...

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12042008/news/nationalnews/hey__annie_get_your_fun_142596.htm

re: Fired ANNIE to be on this season of American Idol
Posted by MrMidwest 2008-12-04 08:28:27

Her voice is still terrific.

Posted by BrodyFosse123 2008-12-04 09:11:08

Her name is Joanna Pacitti:

Posted by popular_elphie 2008-12-04 09:23:21

Ahhhhhhhh I love her song on the Legally Blonde soundtrack.

Good luck to her.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2008-12-04 09:24:10

So AI has completely thrown out any pretense of this being a competition for non-professionals, right?

Posted by jennamajig 2008-12-04 09:31:52

^^Pretty much, I think. The last bit of the article linked above actually mentions something about that. How they never claimed to be an amateur competition and the contestants much just meet the age requirements and not currently be signed with any label.

Either way, if she can sing, best to her. She still has to win over the voting tweens.

Posted by BrodyFosse123 2008-12-04 09:37:22

As was the case with last year's Carly Smithson (who had been signed with MCA before AMERICAN IDOL) , talk about this coming season's AMERICAN IDOL is that it is laden with a few 'plants' again, including Raquel Houghton (Dane Cook's ex-girlfriend) who was a former member of the band The Valli Girls that was signed to Sony/BMG and Joanna Pacitti, who was previously signed to A&M Records and Geffen Records.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2008-12-04 09:39:58

I mean, I get not wanting just any schmo off the street, because who wants to listen to a season filled with Carmen Rasmussens and Antonia Whateverhernamewas, but - like someone else pointed out in that comments section - Little Orphan NotAnnie has been at this for over a decade.

Posted by Reginald Tresilian 2008-12-04 09:49:19

I'm waiting for Celine Dion to make the final two, competing against Jon Bon Jovi.

Posted by jennamajig 2008-12-04 10:16:57

^^Now that might actually get me to watch the finale of AI for the first time in years.

Posted by Jane2 2008-12-04 10:23:49

LOL Reggie!

Posted by BroadwayBound115 2008-12-04 15:39:10

wait a minute! I saw her in concert. I own her cd. she even signed the insert. I saw her when she opened for Nick Lachey on his what's left of me tour. she has got a great voice!

Posted by Dein Herr 2008-12-04 15:46:22

Carmen Rasmussen! Whose only legacy may be the constant presence of that horrific song from Coyote Ugly somewhere in my brain for the past several years.

Posted by StockardFan 2008-12-04 15:51:39

HAHAHA, Reg!!!

Posted by Kelly2 2008-12-04 16:05:13

I love her song on the LB soundtrack too! :) She's great.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2008-12-04 16:08:37

I didn't realize they let Carmen Rasmussen sing publicly again, Dein. Her voice sounded like a sheep's bleat put through a vocoder.

Posted by Calvin 2008-12-04 16:12:09

A cross between Kelly Clarkson and Pat Benatar?

Isn't that like saying that something's color is somewhere between burnt umber and brown?

Posted by Auggie27 2008-12-04 16:22:01

She's got that wild-kohl-eyed, white-trash look that is always represented by somebody on IDOL. Give her a shot, she'll do
a screechy Whitney-esque "Tomorrow" and Paula will be lead sobbing fromt he building. Seeing her grown up isn't as shocking as that little girl from the Carrey GRINCH movie ("Where Are You Christmas?") turning into a GOSSIP GIRL.

Posted by Calvin 2008-12-04 16:22:54

The over-under that she sings "Alone"?

Posted by jennamajig 2008-12-04 17:07:48

Simon pretty much hates the idea of letting any contestant sing a showtune ever again, so "Tomorrow" would probably be out. Then again, I'd give her more props for adding a Mariah Carey touch to "Maybe." It would be awful no matter how good a voice, but more of a challenge.

Posted by PRFRMR20 2008-12-04 18:10:53

She's hot! :P

Posted by CurtainPullDowner 2008-12-04 18:35:15

What's a vocoder?

Posted by alliez92092 2008-12-04 19:25:44

Forgive my ignorance, but why was she fired?

Posted by WishingOnlyWounds2 2008-12-04 19:34:12

Because they like her understudy more.
Crazy, right?
Joanna got sick and the understudy they got, Britney was supposedly "better", I disagree.

I personally think it was a publicity stunt, trying to copy what happened with the production in the 70s.

Posted by RoxieRose4 2008-12-04 19:34:20

For shock value.

Posted by nexttoelectric 2008-12-04 19:42:41

Yeah they changed the rules before last season from only allowing people who had NEVER had a record deal to people who CURRENTLY do not have a record deal.

Posted by BrodyFosse123 2008-12-04 20:47:20

I heard from sources that she was fired during ANNIE's pre-Broadway tour due to her crazy meth and alcohol abuse. She would stay out late at night after performances with several crew members (and pit players) and would miss morning rehearsals, etc. Most days she was so trashed that she physically couldn't go on for matinee performances. The producers' gave up on trying to have her mother intervene (she claimed that she was intimidated by Joanna) who refused to help them. Her understudy went with no problems so they did what they had to do.

Posted by B3TA07 2008-12-04 20:47:48

I hope Taylor Swift is on it again!!!!1

Posted by ljay889 2008-12-04 21:35:03

I heard from sources that she was fired during ANNIE's pre-Broadway tour due to her crazy meth and alcohol abuse.

- Where the heck do you come up with these things?

Posted by Jon 2008-12-04 21:41:08

I used to chat with her in the old AOL Playbill chatroom around 1996/97. Her user name was "ZapJo", a combination of her name and the name of the dog, "Zappa", who was originally cast as Sandy, but was alkso fired. She adopted him.

Posted by B3TA07 2008-12-04 21:48:14

"Where the heck do you come up with these things?"

Besides, if she were on meth, wouldn't she still be awake to do a matinee? Then she could crash and get up in time for the evening performance.

Posted by ljay889 2008-12-04 22:03:09

For those who saw it, did the younger/smaller replacement work any better?

Posted by thejoeyOshow 2008-12-04 22:33:11

She sued for 50million? Did the revival even make that much? I mean really...

Posted by thejcm 2008-12-04 23:07:23

All I know is that her understudy/replacement had one wonky tooth that drove me crazy when she would talk during that interview someone posted.

Posted by Salene 2008-12-05 06:06:32

For those who saw it, did the younger/smaller replacement work any better?

I saw both and liked Joanna MUCH better.

Posted by StockardFan 2008-12-05 08:22:10

How old was she that she was on meth?

Posted by Tom1071 2008-12-05 09:24:54

"She sued for 50million? Did the revival even make that much? I mean really..."

The lawsuit was also against Macy's. Their argument was that she was cast as a result of a contest and that she won her role fair and square and therefore Macy's (who was a sponsor) and the producers were in breach of contract by dismissing her. They settled out of court for an undisclosed amount.

Andrea McArdle and several of the former Annies refused to go to opening night because they were horrified that they fired Joanna because it wasn't an issue of talent. They just liked having a smaller child in the role. They felt it tugged at the heart strings a little more.

Posted by LizzieCurry 2008-12-05 10:12:09

There's a lot of info in this book, actually: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Broadway-Tails/Bill-Berloni/e/9781599213538/?itm=1

Posted by erinrebecca 2008-12-05 10:14:37

"She sued for 50million? Did the revival even make that much? I mean really"

People can sue for whatever insane amount of $$ they want. That doesn't mean that they're going to get anywhere near that amount.

Posted by Jon 2008-12-05 11:45:44

The fact that Nell Carter was only about five foot one and Joanna was almost as tall as her didn't help matters.

You want to make the kids look small? Hire taller adults!

Posted by supportivemom 2008-12-05 12:23:25

That is pretty interesting that this girl is not an amateur. Are there not 12 pure amateurs in America that could be on this show? Anyway, I remember seeing that Barbara Walters segment and the MTV segment. Even though she has been a professional- I'm kind of rooting for her. She deserves a break this time!

Posted by HOUFlip04 2008-12-05 12:30:30

So what ever happened to the girl who replaced her? Brittny Kissinger? Anyone know?

Posted by LizzieCurry 2008-12-05 12:32:39

http://www.brittnykissinger.com/home.html

Posted by HOUFlip04 2008-12-05 12:38:59

Thanks! I knew I could count on you, LizzieCurry! Maybe she should go on AI too and battle it again with Joanna. hehehe.

Posted by clever name 2008-12-05 12:41:43

When I clicked on that link I thought the dude was Britny. I was like..yikes!

Posted by birdboy782 2008-12-05 12:48:50

ATTN MODERATOR

Jon-

Can't imagine any circumstance where it would be appropriate to post a performers personal e-mail/contact info on a thread..

As for Joanna, very excited for her. Thought she was very special in the show--and was appalled at "letting her go"...she was so authentic and loveable. And a HUGE voice.

Posted by LizzieCurry 2008-12-05 12:52:25

I remember that handle, though. She posted to other boards and said who she was, so it's not like it was completely private. I doubt she's using it over a decade later.

Posted by me2 2008-12-06 12:25:02

I always felt like her parents should have prevented the "firing" from becoming a big deal (i.e. appearing on ROSIE) because it looked really bad. I'm glad things are going well for her. Just because you're not right for ONE part doesn't mean you're not right for other parts.

Posted by RoxieRose5 2008-12-06 12:48:01

Can't imagine any circumstance where it would be appropriate to post a performers personal e-mail/contact info on a thread..

You mean her chat room screen name from ELEVEN YEARS AGO??

ANDREA MCARDLE and several of the former Annies refused to go to opening night because they were horrified that they fired Joanna because it wasn't an issue of talent.

Hypocrite....

Posted by dg22894 2008-12-06 17:20:47

What track was she on in Legally Blonde?

Regarding Annie-Joanna-Brittny-AI
Posted by BWAYROCKS 2009-01-07 17:21:25

Hi.

The real controversy around Joanna being fired from ANNIE was that she was let go with virtually NO notice - and it was done very "sneakily". Alexandra Kiesman was Joanna's understudy, and had been since the pre-Broadway tour kicked off four months prior to the firing. One night in Boston, Joanna got bronchitis and was advised by a doctor NOT to perform. Instead of putting Alexandra on, the powers that be put on Brittny - a then 8 year old who was playing "July" and was NOT an Annie understudy. So... the girl MUST have been coached/rehearsed behind the scenes to be ready to go on as Annie. It was just done very deviously. Producers claimed "Joanna and the role" never came "together" --- it certainly couldnt have taken them 100+ performances to figure that out. They just wanted publicity and Nell Carter also had a say in it -- she wanted a "small child" to play Annie. But... all aside, I really hope Joanna does well on AI --- she has a gorgeous voice. I do not really like her outfit choices as of late, but her voice is still gold.

Posted by Fosse76 2009-01-07 17:47:21

"Graced with brilliant musicality marked by agile vocals that sustain both angelic delicacy and dynamic power, Brittny is able to transcend generations with a versatility to be savored by all ages."

Her humility is refreshing, isn't it! I too thought at first the guy in the photo was her...and that SHE was the one with the fake meth addiction!

Posted by theaterlover45 2009-01-07 21:57:16

I don't know if this was posted already but this breaks my heart. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc693cU4Sfg&feature=related

Posted by dg22894 2009-01-21 20:18:16

she was good but I'm surprised they did not do a whole segment on her being a fired Annie before she auditioned.

Posted by provocation 2009-01-22 02:11:37

I find it amusing Adam Lambert, a previous understudy for Fiyero, is also on this season's Idol. I love them both. I own Joanna's album, as well. I hope they both make the top 12. They really are fantastic vocalists.

Posted by somuchtodo 2009-01-22 07:43:06

The Annie on the current tour has just been let go after a month...

Posted by Fosse76 2009-01-22 10:53:44

"The Annie on the current tour has just been let go after a month..."

I am beginning to think that the powers-that-be are purposely doing this for free publicity...I didn't even know there was a current tour!

Posted by snowskittle 2009-01-22 13:47:10

So...Joanna was supposedly a meth addict and out all night when she was...what...eleven or twelve? This is ridiculous.

Posted by LansburyLuPone 2009-01-22 21:57:58

I remember being so outraged when they fired Joanna from "Annie" because the next morning the radio kept playing a sound clip of her sobbing over it. I always felt that if the child playing "July" could be elevated to the role of "Annie," then the child hired to play "Annie" should have at least been allowed to play "July" - and still be in the show on opening night. It was heartbreaking what they did to Joanna...so I hope she ROCKS on "American Idol" and wins it hands down! If you're out there, Joanna, LIVING WELL IS THE BEST REVENGE!

Love,

Lansbury LuPone