Printer Friendly - Should I listen to the Book of Mormon soundtrack before seeing it?

Should I listen to the Book of Mormon soundtrack before seeing it?
Posted by ElizabethT27 2013-02-28 10:20:30

I'm seeing Book of Mormon next week, and I can't decide if I should listen to the music first. I don't want to ruin the jokes before seeing it live, but I also don't want to be lost because I don't know the music. Help please!

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-28 10:23:26

Well....do you go to the movies without knowing all the lines from it first?

Posted by BOM 2013-02-28 10:24:53

I would not. I saw it right before the OBCR was even out. While the show will still be funny if you do, it will be even funnier if you don't. Some songs have shock value and if you already know its gonna happen then it takes away the shock value obviously.

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-02-28 10:25:40

Welcome to BWW... :)

PS Change the word "soundtrack" to "cast album"... it's irksome for some people. lol.

If you want to enjoy the show, especially going into it not knowing anything about it or the music, listen to it as soon as you leave the theatre. lol.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-28 10:27:58

I know a girl who went to see PHANTOM OF THE OPERA without knowing any of the songs and she died.

Should I listen to the Book of Mormon cast recording before seeing it?
Posted by LizzieCurry 2013-02-28 10:30:25

I would suggest not listening to the CAST RECORDING at all before you go. I saw it before it came out and the surprise made it even better.

Posted by D2 2013-02-28 10:37:25

"PS Change the word "soundtrack" to "cast album"... it's irksome for some people. lol."

Yes, it is, because considering how OCD so many people here are about who plays what when in which company, what show curtains, scenery and views from particular seats are like, and which classic shows NEED revivals, which FLOP shows NEED revivals, and which beloved icons of the stage NEED a Tony Award, is it too much to expect you know the difference between an OBCR and a "soundtrack?"

( Said he, tongue firmly in cheek )

Posted by Wynbish 2013-02-28 10:39:57

What LizzieCurry said reminded me of the disclaimer John Lithgow recorded for the Dirty Rotten Scoundrels album.

Go unspoiled.

Posted by ElizabethT27 2013-02-28 10:41:14

Thanks to the people who responded. I don't know everything about Broadway, and maybe instead of being "irked" over using one wrong word you should be glad new people are exposing themselves to theater. It's not that big of a deal.

Posted by Hanna from Hamburg 2013-02-28 10:47:37

I purchased the cast recording several weeks before seeing it. I didn't listen to ANY of it (not even 1 song) before seeing the show and I'm SO glad I waited. Don't give into the temptation to listen before seeing the show. I think the payoff will be worth the wait.

Posted by Wynbish 2013-02-28 10:54:02

You already know two songs because they were on the Tonys, right?

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-02-28 10:55:36

Didn't mean anything negative by it, Elizabeth. Just letting you know because of experiences I've seen on the boards before.

Posted by D2 2013-02-28 10:56:42

"It's not that big of a deal"

Oh yes it is.

So is the over misuse of the word "of."

Posted by LizzieCurry 2013-02-28 10:56:46

Don't be defensive, Elizabeth -- just take it as education!

And enjoy a great show!

Posted by lenstersf 2013-02-28 10:56:49

Agree...don't listen to it. You might miss a few words here and there, but I think you'll enjoy it more if it's all a surprise.

Posted by mmFan 2013-02-28 12:22:36

I downloaded the songs prior to seeing BOM last year, but that's just a personal preference. I didn't find it ruined the story or took away any of the jokes, but for me, I like to know the music beforehand as I tend to enjoy the show a bit more...plus, previewing the music gives me an idea if I want to see the swho in the first place...but again, it's a personal preference

Posted by bobs3 2013-02-28 14:15:59

If you listen to recording before seeing the show you will enjoy it (the album) but if you wait until after seeing the show let me tell you, you will be in for some of the most hilarious and enjoyable moments you will ever see on the Broadway stage (there are people on this board that just don't get Matt Stone-Trey Parker humor but they can go f**k themselves).

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2013-02-28 14:49:29

(there are people on this board that just don't get Matt Stone-Trey Parker humor but they can go f**k themselves).

How?

Posted by bobs3 2013-02-28 14:53:00

Posted by bobs3 2013-02-28 14:54:54

How?

If you are that curious about how to, I'm sure Eric Cartman could suggest a way!

Posted by ken8631 2013-02-28 16:21:37

First of all - welcome!

Secondly, I am jealous (want to see it, but still too much $$$).

And lastly, I agree with those who say listen to it AFTER seeing it.....

Posted by GoshGeeGolly 2013-02-28 17:10:23

No, do not do that.

Posted by Playbilly 2013-02-28 20:40:31

Don't listen to the soundtra---uh, cast recording. You won't be seeing them anyway

Posted by luvtheEmcee 2013-03-01 10:46:11

Another vote for no. You only get to be surprised once! Let it be at the theater.

Posted by twinbelters 2013-03-01 11:07:49

If you have an opportunity to hear it with fresh ears, then do that. You can always listen to the recording after and see the show again!

Posted by ABB2357 2013-03-01 15:52:46

I also vote no - it was torture not to listen before I got to see the show, but once I did I was so glad I waited.

Posted by willep 2013-03-01 15:59:19

I agree with everyone else, don't listen to it. I was fortunate enough to see the show during the first week of previews, so I didn't have this problem, but I was still SO glad that I went in "blind".

Posted by beensince1987 2013-03-01 16:59:18

Same here. Don't. Also if you could help, read as little as you could. Less you know the better. Also they don't list song titles in Playbills, they give away a lot. Maybe you should know what Mormons can't do nor have, that would be helpful.

Any show you go see, you often miss things so don't worry about that.

Posted by KylePKJP 2013-03-01 17:47:04

You're not going to be hurt either way, really.

I listened to it and thoroughly enjoyed it but, with some material out of context (barely any dialogue in the OCR), felt I was a little lost.

When I did see it, and those holes were filled in, I found it all the more hysterical. I could go back and listen to the recording again and enjoy it even more.

I really don't think it will spoil anything for you but if you have the willpower hang on a bit longer.

*Edited for my crappy spelling

Posted by Metfan2 2013-03-01 19:38:38

Definitely do not listen. A most, the first song which has been on TV (Tony's) but nothing else, especially not at the end.

Hello!

Posted by theatergeek3 2013-03-01 20:34:22

First and foremost, welcome to BWW! Second, I wouldn't listen to it. I think it would be fine if you did but I think you would like it better if you didn't because it adds an element of surprise. Enjoy the show!
Theatergeek3

Posted by GavestonPS 2013-03-01 20:39:21

Elizabeth, I haven't seen the show, but I have the CD and in addition to what people have said about it giving away some of the jokes, I would add that the score is very tuneful and "accessible". That's not a criticism; I'm just saying you won't have any trouble appreciating the music at first hearing.

(I.e., it's not like a PACIFIC OVERTURES or PASSION where one might need to listen to the score many times to "get it".)

Oh, and welcome to BWW. Yes, I'm glad whenever a young person discovers an interest in live theater.