Printer Friendly - Staged reading of MOBY DICK musical happening tonight...

Staged reading of MOBY DICK musical happening tonight...
Posted by themysteriousgrowl 2013-02-22 12:24:17

It's possible few others will give two shi+s about this, but the West End recording of MOBY DICK is one of my favorite things ever, and I've only just heard about this reading.

Does anyone know anything about this? Is it public? Is it soft against your face? Will there be a way to get any reports of details after it happens?

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/175260-Tony-Sheldon-Leads-Industry-Reading-of-Moby-Dick---A-Whale-of-a-Tale-Musical-Hoping-to-Harpoon-New-York

Posted by doodlenyc 2013-02-22 12:32:08

I love that recording and think Sheldon is PERFECT!

Posted by Mister Matt 2013-02-22 12:33:03

I've been a fan of the recording since it was released and would love to see a big-budget production. I can imagine Chris March having an absolute blast designing for that show.

Posted by ghostlight2 2013-02-22 12:33:52

I'd pay to see that.

Posted by TBFL 2013-02-22 12:37:37

I saw Moby Dick 4 times in its brief London run and it wasnt given the chance to build an audience. I think it could have been alot more successful had it been alowed to run longer.

Tony Sheldon is a perfect fit for the Headmistress, and is actually very similar to Tony Monopoly (also Austrailian) who played it in London.

I love the show and score, but im not impressed with some of the rewrites and changes made to the score.

Posted by themysteriousgrowl 2013-02-22 12:55:59

Do you mean the new revisions (that may be included) in this version?

Or the revised "American" version available for licensing here?

Because the changes in that one are pretty abysmal.

Posted by Mister Matt 2013-02-22 13:06:39

The American version is a lifeless hack job.

Posted by Scripps2 2013-02-22 14:06:29

I enjoy the recording rather more than I enjoyed the West End production and, having sat through it, I can understand why it didn't find an audience.

Wasn't it supposed to have been cleaned up for West End audiences after its out-of-town tryout in Oxford?

It certainly felt that way - the smut didn't come thick enough or fast enough.