Printer Friendly - Broadway.com Reporting Jeremy Jordan to star in LAST FIVE YEARS film

Broadway.com Reporting Jeremy Jordan to star in LAST FIVE YEARS film
Posted by LYLS3637 2013-02-21 14:48:48

Filming to start later this year.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-21 14:50:09

NOW I can get excited.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-21 14:51:54

Just thinking about Jeremy Jordan singing "The Next Ten Minutes" is already making my panties extremely moist.

Posted by Wynbish 2013-02-21 14:52:05

He's the frontrunner. Didn't they say the same thing about Swift as Eponine?

Posted by madbrian 2013-02-21 14:53:09

I'm glad for him, but I find the fact that Anna Kendrick will be the female lead much more exciting.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-21 14:53:28

says the straight man.

Posted by BrodyFosse123 2013-02-21 14:53:34

Broadway.com has learned that the Newsies and Smash star is the frontrunner to play Jamie opposite Anna Kendrick’s Cathy in the upcoming film version of Jason Robert Brown’s The Last Five Years.

With all due respect, he's a 'frontrunner'. No where in that sentence does it state he is confirmed.

Now back to our regular program, already in progress.

Posted by LYLS3637 2013-02-21 14:56:29

^ No one said it was confirmed.

Posted by bjh2114 2013-02-21 15:03:43

Well this gay man is more excited for Anna Kendrick too. I'm not a huge Jeremy fan.

Posted by LYLS3637 2013-02-21 15:06:53

I was hoping for Aaron Tveit (or in my perfect world, Michael Arden), but I'll take Jeremy over Hollywood stunt casting.

Posted by Johnnycantdecide 2013-02-21 15:08:31

I was really hoping for Joseph Gordon-Levitt but Jermey Jordan is good choice!

Posted by showchoirguy 2013-02-21 15:09:17

Day Made.

Posted by barcelona20 2013-02-21 15:39:26

Perfection! Can they also take over at 2nd stage? Please?

Posted by Michael Bennett 2013-02-21 15:47:13

Except she looks more Jewish than he does...

Posted by dreaming 2013-02-21 15:52:49

You beat me to it, MB. I was going to say that. He doesn't look ethnically Jewish to me (she sure looks more so than he).

Posted by Brave Sir Robin2 2013-02-21 16:39:48

Joseph Gordon-Levitt would be perfec, but I'll take Jeremy Jordan.

Posted by wicked1492 2013-02-21 16:42:34

We have to listen to him strain and scream his way through THIS too?

Pass.

Posted by barcelona20 2013-02-21 16:44:31

JGL could not sing the score. And wicked1492 needs your ears checked.

Posted by Mister Matt 2013-02-21 16:50:51

Well this gay man is more excited for Anna Kendrick too. I'm not a huge Jeremy fan.

Same here. Can't stand his signature WHAYL pop style. Even on Smash, it was insufferable. Pairing him with Kerry Butler and her allergy to consonants would make the film perfectly unwatchable for me.

Posted by RippedMan 2013-02-21 16:57:30

Oof. This is going to be roughs sauce. He looks too young to be having a child and the know how to have been through all the stuff he's singing about.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-21 17:00:59

Well I dare you to suggest anyone who looks even a tad older, as I've tried to do because you'll be met with screams of how they'd be too old.

Posted by sorano916 2013-02-21 17:03:38

He's no longer the frontrunner... he's confirmed to be doing it, per his Twitter.

Its official!! I will be playing Jamie in The Last five Years film!! @AnnaKendrick47 Literally a dream come true :) http://po.st/kkK5Ut
https://twitter.com/JeremyMJordan/status/304712866341208064

Posted by SporkGoddess 2013-02-21 17:05:46

Frick, now I'm really going to find it difficult to hate Jamie. I can't even hate Jimmy on Smash and he's like 1000000x the jerk Jamie is.

Posted by Kelly2 2013-02-21 17:07:10

Eek. Agree with the comments that she looks more Jewish than he does. We'll see though.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-21 17:10:38

Seriously? It's not like we're talking about Carrie Underwood doing YENTL, here.

Posted by ggersten 2013-02-21 17:35:54

I'm curious how Ms. Kendrick will look as a blonde - not that a shiksa goddess has to be blonde - but it does help - and it couldn't hoit.

Posted by Michael Bennett 2013-02-21 17:36:25

Yeah but I mean one of his big songs is "Shiska Goddess," Jordan....that's not exactly Anna Kendrick in the eyes of Jeremy Jordan....

Posted by ggersten 2013-02-21 17:37:41

I did find this picture of Ms. Kendrick which does look more shiksa-ish...

Posted by best12bars 2013-02-21 17:40:01

I gotta say Jordan does nothing for me either. He looks kinda neanderthal. Great for thug roles, but not a romantic leading man, at least to me. Not even in the Clark Gable neanderthal way. More in the Mike Mazurki way.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt, on the other hand ...

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-21 17:41:42

But they're casting people who CAN SING. Count your sweet baby jesus blessings it's not Amanda Seyfried and John C. Reilly!

Posted by Michael Bennett 2013-02-21 17:44:54

They can sing- but outside of that, I don't think they are in any other way really well suited to the roles.

Posted by best12bars 2013-02-21 17:45:59

Jeremy Jordan in "The Last Whiny Years"

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-21 17:48:11

It's impossible to have a grown up conversation with people poopie heads who act like children.

Posted by best12bars 2013-02-21 18:02:14

No, YOU"RE the poopie-head!

I think your loins are doing the talking. He's not right for the part, and he poops his pants. He whines, and he looks like a thug. So there.

Posted by barcelona20 2013-02-21 18:19:50

You can't judge him based on Smash. Judge him based on his theatre work. All of which has been stellar.

Posted by Wynbish 2013-02-21 18:20:41

There's a difference between acting for camera and acting on stage

Posted by barcelona20 2013-02-21 18:26:06

Which is going to be a low-budget indie flick. Regardless, he is acting as being directed. Don't blame him for the train wreck known as Smash which will be ending soon.

Posted by ray-andallthatjazz86 2013-02-21 18:30:37

Let's also remember that this is the same director who gave us such cinematic gems as PS I LOVE YOU, FREEDOM WRITERS, and BEAUTIFUL CREATURES. I'll watch it because I love Kendrick and I love her even more when she sings, Jordan bores me, but regardless I don't expect much from this director if his recent work is any proof (he also wrote the screenplay for that awful movie WATER FOR ELEPHANTS).

Posted by Gothampc 2013-02-21 18:40:39

I'm curious how they are going to film the timeframe in this show. One story goes forward, one story goes backward. Can you say awkward?

Posted by ggersten 2013-02-21 21:05:22

Maybe they'll do it like "500 Days of Summer" with little indicia. Or maybe it will be all date stamped hand held video or computer video blogs so you can see a date. So, each song - which is basically a monologue becomes a video diary entry. "Next 10 Minutes" may not fit within that motif exactly... But it lets you get the date when things are happening on the screen and staying on the screen.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-21 21:06:19

They'll probably start each song with one of them reading the newspaper so we know what date it is.

Posted by Owen22 2013-02-21 22:16:11

I don't think Jordan is that different than Norbert Leo in type. Except better looking. But Norb was VERY sexy in the role and had a nice masculine air to him that I think Jordan will also bring. I'm not a huge, huge fan of his but I think he's pretty damned talented.

And you know, I really never heard a bad word about him on the these boards until he was on "Smash". Where he's doing a fine job. But you queens SOOOOOO love to hate on the show (admittedly somewhat deservedly) it seems to taint anyone on it who isn't named Megan Hilty.

And I too am a gay man thrilled to death Anna Kendrick is in this. Even though, I agree, she seems sorta wrong for the part. But I don't like "Last Five Years" that much anyway...

Posted by JohnyBroadway 2013-02-21 22:21:07

Why not Wesley Taylor or Matt Doyle?

Posted by Kelly2 2013-02-21 22:22:54

Wesley Taylor and Matt Doyle? I mean, you're supposed to believe that Jamie is sexually attracted to Cathy, I think.

For what it's worth, Jordan is incredibly talented and will probably bring a lot to the role, he just wouldn't have been my first choice. :)

Posted by ahhrealmonsters 2013-02-21 22:49:43

I'm now really curious... does anyone know if Anna Kendrick is Jewish? I know Jeremy Jordan is.

Posted by HenryTDobson 2013-02-21 23:23:46

"Wesley Taylor and Matt Doyle? I mean, you're supposed to believe that Jamie is sexually attracted to Cathy, I think."

It's actually called acting. They would be required to ACT like they were sexually attracted to Cathy, which I'm sure they're capable. Let's not have another Sean Hayes scandal on this one...

Posted by Kelly2 2013-02-21 23:26:47

"It's actually called acting. They would be required to ACT like they were sexually attracted to Cathy, which I'm sure they're capable. Let's not have another Sean Hayes scandal on this one..."

I've seen both of them onstage before, and yes in Matt Doyle's case playing straight, and I'm sorry I did not find it very convincing. Regardless of his sexuality, Wesley Taylor just looks wrong wrong wrong for this in my opinion.

Posted by HenryTDobson 2013-02-21 23:32:39

They wouldn't be my first picks either, but to say that they can't act the role because they are not "straight acting enough" is just silly. Both are accomplished actors who have (convincingly) acted straight roles many times in the past.

Posted by Kelly2 2013-02-21 23:34:11

"Both are accomplished actors who have (convincingly) acted straight roles many times in the past."

In your opinion. I have seen them act straight roles and found it about as convincing as a dog with a duck costume on. Different strokes.

Posted by HenryTDobson 2013-02-21 23:35:12

Different strokes, indeed.

Posted by topiflo 2013-02-21 23:45:19

Such insight all around here with these comments!

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2013-02-21 23:48:34

This thread is the best because it's the worst!

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-02-22 08:47:12

Just a quick question...

Which would you prefer?
L5Y Off-B'way Revival Recording OR L5Y Film Soundtrack

I'm sure one or the other would happen if JRB would produce them. I don't think both would happen unless it's a while before the movie release.

Posted by Wynbish 2013-02-22 09:24:36

Off-Broadway, with Betsy and Adam

Posted by The Pud 2013-02-22 11:31:07

"Is Jeremy Jordan Jewish"

What difference would it make if he was or wasn't? Hugh Jackman who is tall, handsome and couldn't be more anglo is playing a short homely Jewish man in Houdini, now that is a stretch.

Posted by Gothampc 2013-02-22 12:51:58

"They'll probably start each song with one of them reading the newspaper so we know what date it is."

I like it!

Posted by chellie 2013-02-22 17:29:47

That "EthniCelebs" link gives me a bit of the creeps. I mean, someone was obsessed with Jeremy Jordan enough to even think to look up his family tree?

Posted by Mister Matt 2013-02-22 17:40:00

Jeremy Jordan is Jewish through at least his maternal grandmother.

Phew! I was afraid he looked way too Unitarian for the part.

Posted by topiflo 2013-02-22 18:46:26

For future reference:
Actors of fully Jewish background: -Logan Lerman, Natalie Portman, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Mila Kunis, Bar Refaeli, James Wolk, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Julian Morris, Adam Brody, Esti Ginzburg, Kat Dennings, Gabriel Macht, Erin Heatherton, Odeya Rush, Anton Yelchin, Paul Rudd, Scott Mechlowicz, Lisa Kudrow, Lizzy Caplan, Emmanuelle Chriqui, Gal Gadot, Debra Messing, Robert Kazinsky, Melanie Laurent, Shiri Appleby, Justin Bartha, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Margarita Levieva, Elizabeth Berkley, Halston Sage, Seth Gabel, Mia Kirshner, Alden Ehrenreich, Eric Balfour, Jason Isaacs, Jon Bernthal.

Actors with Jewish mothers and non-Jewish fathers -Jake Gyllenhaal, Dave Franco, James Franco, Scarlett Johansson, Daniel Day-Lewis, Daniel Radcliffe, Alison Brie, Eva Green, Emmy Rossum, Rashida Jones, Jennifer Connelly, Nora Arnezeder, Goldie Hawn, Ginnifer Goodwin, Amanda Peet, Eric Dane, Jeremy Jordan, Joel Kinnaman, Ben Barnes, Patricia Arquette, Kyra Sedgwick, Dave Annable.

Actors with Jewish fathers and non-Jewish mothers, who themselves were either raised as Jews and/or identify as Jews: -Andrew Garfield, Ezra Miller, Gwyneth Paltrow, Alexa Davalos, Nat Wolff, Nicola Peltz, James Maslow, Josh Bowman, Winona Ryder, Ben Foster, Nikki Reed, Zac Efron, Jonathan Keltz.

Oh, and Ansel Elgort’s father is Jewish, though I don’t know how Ansel was raised.

Actors with one Jewish-born parent and one parent who converted to Judaism -Dianna Agron, Sara Paxton (whose father converted, not her mother), Alicia Silverstone, Jamie-Lynn Sigler.

Posted by CurtainPullDowner 2013-02-23 16:41:21

The only Big Jew I want to see in this role is the adorable Noah Weisberg.
I don't think Jordan is a good choice because of his acting so far, though his material ain't been that great either
My main concern is that it will take a directing genius to make it work, John Cameron Mitchell might have had a shot.
Who is the target audience on this?

Posted by Marnie2 2013-06-17 18:26:16

Looks like this started filming today!

Jeremy Jordan ?@JeremyMJordan
Day one of the last five years!

@MrJasonRBrown I just watched @JeremyMJordan drive 20 feet on a bicycle four times. My work is done here

Anna Kendrick ?@AnnaKendrick47
Cathy and Jamie 4ever #LastFiveYears #DayOne http://instagram.com/p/arTboSqdef/

Posted by Brave Sir Robin2 2013-06-17 19:26:53

I'm cautiously optimistic, depending on the release date. Not sure about the hippie-actress look for Cathy, but this is only one shot of a film with a time span of five years. This could be a big hit as an indie summer film, like Moonrise Kingdom was last year.

Posted by Marnie2 2013-06-18 04:42:37

better photos here

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2343656/Anna-Kendrick-gets-close-hunky-star-Jeremy-Jordan-The-Last-Five-Years-set.html

http://www.justjared.com/2013/06/17/anna-kendrick-jeremy-jordan-last-five-years-set-photos/#more-860103

Posted by StageManager2 2013-06-18 05:37:11

Wow, JJ looks surprisingly attractive and sexy in those Daily Mail photos. He's never done it for me before (I too thought he looked like a neanderthal and thuggish), but I may just have been sold.

Posted by gchris11 2013-06-18 08:30:57

ummmm, I thought this was decided months ago. Old news.
or was it just talked about and not confirmed.

Posted by tazber 2013-06-18 08:31:36

This thread was started months ago.

Posted by gchris11 2013-06-18 08:36:59

Thanks I didn't read the first couple of pages. Just saw today's date and Jeremy Jordan's name. <3 me some Jeremy!!!

Posted by broadway guy 2013-06-18 08:48:45

All I want is a Jeremy Jordan for Christmas.

Posted by gchris11 2013-06-18 08:51:56

I live on 4th street (Where NYTW is) it was fun watching him film SMASH and seeing his sexy ass for like 3 weeks straight right outside my window. The filming was a pain in the ass, but seeing him almost made up for it.

Posted by broadway guy 2013-06-18 08:53:07

Lucky bastard.

Posted by Marnie2 2013-06-18 08:59:40

Apparently they are filming at 43rd -45th and 8th Ave today..........

Sorry,perhaps I should have started a new thread for the filming photos? Thought i was doing the right thing just bumping up the existing discussion of the movie..

Posted by MusicalBoy 2013-06-18 14:28:59

Holy hell Jeremy Jordan in those pictures......

Love me some Anna Kendrick too, but she kinda looks like Ronald McDonald's hippie daughter....who put her in that top?!

Posted by E.Davis 2013-06-18 15:02:28

Is this getting a theatrical release or a premium cable release?

Posted by jpbran 2013-06-18 16:15:24

I wondered about the type of release too... Art-film targeting? Mini-major release? Cable?

Posted by jackieoh 2013-06-18 20:09:37

I have a feeling we're going to be pleasantly surprised by this.

They're both beautiful.

Posted by musicalfool 2013-06-18 20:35:58

I'm pretty sure this is aiming for an "indie" theatrical release. Does anyone know if it will be sung-through or if there is a spoken script?

Posted by Marnie2 2013-06-19 08:12:33

"Does anyone know if it will be sung-through or if there is a spoken script?"

In an interview on Broadway.com Jeremy Jordan said it would be 95% sung through with a few words of dialogue here and there. Although he did say that could change.

More photos from set of Anna Kendrick

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2344263/Anna-Kendrick-dresses-stripy-sweater-stylish-ankle-boots-arriving-set-new-movie-Last-Five-Years-light-denim.html