Printer Friendly - Chairman of Universal Pictures:

Chairman of Universal Pictures: "'WICKED' film sooner rather than later..."
Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-02-21 10:04:07

THR: With Les Mis a hit, why haven't you greenlighted Wicked?

Fogelson: Wicked has been an enormous win for this company [Universal is majority owner of the Broadway musical]. The way it works, we should be in agreement together on when the right time to do this is. But I will tell you I believe that we are collectively moving toward Wicked coming to the screen sooner rather than later.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/universal-chairman-wants-fifty-shades-422217

Chairman of Universal Pictures:
Posted by CarlosAlberto 2013-02-21 10:08:41

This doesn't surprise...especially with the phenomenal box office performance of Les Miserables. WICKED transcends just Broadway audiences...it has a huge fan base made up of a huge demographic which is a good thing because it has across-the-boards appeal. It's not limited to age or gender or people who just go see musicals. That works in the property's favor because it stands to make a lot of money if made...and made well. The hold out to adapt it to film all these years also works in it's favor because it had built up the anticipation for it.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-21 10:10:31

I say this won't happen before 2016. At least Cheno will still be young enough then to play a high school student on film!

Posted by Michael Bennett 2013-02-21 10:34:17

I'm with Jordan. We basically have the "Wicked"concept, sans music, coming to movie theatres in two weeks. Even if that film bombs (unlikely), they'll want to wait a few years before filming something so similar in idea.

I still think they should explore doing WICKED as an animated film.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-21 10:36:12

Only if it's a Miyazaki film.

Posted by bdn223 2013-02-21 10:50:16

The issue a Wicked film now face's is Wizard of Oz fatigue. There will be two films based on the book/1939 film coming out this year. The first Oz: The Great and Powerful a prequel to the original film and Dorothy of Oz an animated sequel. If one of these films, especially Oz the Great and Powerful becomes a blockbuster then the film adaptation of Wicked will be put on hold indefinitely because Universal would not want comparisons to be drawn between the two films by new audiences who are not familiar with the musical. This is similar to the Twilight knock off films. Most recently Warm Bodies and Beautiful Creatures, although they come from different source material the basic premise is close enough to Twilight that general audiences think that they are just producers trying to cash in on the success of Twilight and are turned off by this.
Universal in general will not want to release Wicked with either of these film's fresh in audience's minds. This is similar to Disney/Pixar's animated film project Newt about the last "newt on earth" which was supposed to be realized this year, but after Rango opened in theaters last year to critical praise and commercial success the project was shelved indefinitely. Disney also saw the comparison between two films killing a movie's box office gross first hand with The Wild which was released a year after Madagascar, and similarities between the two films is believed to have killed the grosses of the former.

Although many on here may argue that Wicked is a completely different take on the Wizard of Oz story with an already established fan base, it is still a prequel to the Wizard of Oz just like Oz the Great and Powerful. Because of that is Oz: the Great and Powerful is a hit and spawns sequel(s) a film adaptation of Wicked will be put on the back burner until the film is just a memory, which means probably 5-10 years.

Posted by finebydesign 2013-02-21 11:28:46

I guess we'll see how this new Oz film does, but that business of "But I will tell you I believe that we are collectively moving toward Wicked coming to the screen sooner rather than later. " Is total suit BS.

If that Oz movie is a success (I'd be shocked if it is) maybe we'll see movement on this project. If not, I would also guess 2016-18. Not sure why anyone would rush this.

As far as Oz fatigue. Is "Dorothy of Oz" ever going to get a release? I have a feeling if it does, it is going straight to DVD. The animation looks cheap and I've seen this delayed a few times.

As far as Cheno or Menzel reprising roles, they both already look too old to me. Unless they do some CG version of themselves (which may not be a horrible idea). That said, I can't imagine them not looking for real stars hear ala Beyonce.

Pixar/Disney vs. Dreamworks saw quite a few similar films Antz/Bugs Life, Emperors New Groove/ Road to Eldorado, Shrek/Monsters Inc (both monsters), Shark Tale/Finding Nemo. Finally Wild vs. Madagscar. I think there was also a CG bird movie that conflicted with Chicken Run.

The early CGI films were limited in what characters could be animated so you see a lot of similarities. Mostly it feels like they were two companies with lots of money trying to find the next "big thing." It's neat to see which films succeeded and which didn't and why.

Posted by FindingNamo 2013-02-21 11:32:34

It will make a great companion island to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-21 11:35:45

Is this going to be starring the same Galinda that plays the Indian woman on THE GOOD WIFE?

Posted by mememe 2013-02-21 11:39:23

Any actress who plays either Elphaba or Glinda will be the wrong age at some point during the film. They wont consider this but they could easily have two younger actresses play the roles up until the end of the first half and the original pairing play the elder Elphaba and Glinda (and obviously have the elders in the opening)

Posted by Wynbish 2013-02-21 11:46:33

"Now and Then: The Musical"!

Posted by JoeKv99 2013-02-21 11:53:59

Mememe how much time passes between when we seen Elphaba and Galinda arrive at Shiz and the end of the show?

Posted by bdn223 2013-02-21 11:55:05

Finding Namo
There will be no theme park adaptation of the Wizard of Oz in Universal Studios in Orlando Florida. This is because Disney owns the rights to the theme park attraction adaptation of the original film, which the original book/musical is based off of. Disney and MGM (the original producer of the film) had a shared venture in MGM studios now Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World. Although their contract has expired and Disney decided not to renew it, MGM gave Disney the rights to countinue use their movies in The Great Movie ride where The Wizard of Oz is one of the movies featured. This is why their are "Wicked" attractions in Universal Studios Hollywood and Tokyo, but not Orlando, due to the film already being featured in a Walt Disney World attraction. Disney was also planning on creating an attraction at Dinseyland in the 1970's which fell through, but with their new film prequels I would not be surprised if Disney, not Universal creates a Oz related theme park/land in one of it's current theme parks

Posted by beautywickedlover 2013-02-21 13:43:14

I would like see Katharine McPhee and Megan Hilty play Elphaba and Glinda respectively. Though if it were to happen I hope Hilty will tone down the over-the-top humor that she had during her final months of her first engagement during the Los Angeles sit down production.

Here are my choices for the other parts:

Fiyero: Aaron Tveit or Jeremy Jordan

The Wizard: David Garrison or Tom McGowan

Madame Morrible: Julie Andrews, Meryl Streep, or Carol Kane

Nessarose: Samantha Barks or Taylor Swift (I don't think it would be challenging for her)

Boq: David Archuleta, Nolan Gould, or Logan Lerman

Doctor Dillamond: Timothy Britten Parker

Posted by OperaBwayLover 2013-02-21 14:39:39

A "Wicked" film sooner or later: yeah, sure, just as 'soon' as they see how much Les Mis cleans up at the Oscars. Les Mis is already a bonafide hit, to put it mildly, but you know Universal's also thinking of Oscars. They'd be stupid not to be.

That said, I agree with bdn223's first post. As much as I'd love a "Wicked" film in the near future, I'm concerned that the potential audience will be tapped out due to the two upcoming Oz films. Unless they can find a unique way to market the film- maybe in the trailer, something like "Not the witches you've seen before"- it might be tricky. I say get it to storyboard form, do some early CGI work, and maybe shoot for this for 2015 or 2016.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-21 14:49:43

You guys are acting like the OZ film opening in 2 weeks is going to take away from the box office potential of a film that won't be in theaters for years. That's why I love threads like this. This isn't exactly a DEEP IMPACT/ARMAGEDDON situation.

Posted by TheGingerBreadMan 2013-02-21 16:39:06

I still think they should explore doing WICKED as an animated film.

No. No. No. No. No.

No.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-21 17:03:18

Why? Why? Why? Why? Why?

Why?

Posted by SNAFU 2013-02-21 17:56:21

I think WICKED, as an animated film is an inspired idea! Did you see that rough animation of Defying Gravity that was kicking around a couple years ago? F*cking breathtaking!

ETA: then they could have Eyedina and Cheno play the roles no problemo.

Posted by all that jazz 2013-02-21 19:12:34

^ Absolutely Not!!!
Wicked is to big of a musical and I have been waiting for a very long time to see it filmed, for it to be an animated film.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-21 19:31:52

Does Universal know how you feel about this? You should tell them since you've been waiting so long.

Posted by Playbilly 2013-02-21 19:35:29

Comcast will soon own all of NBC/Universal. If there is a regime change, anything can happen.

Posted by all that jazz 2013-02-21 19:37:52

I respect your sarcasm Jordan, so I'm going to play along.

Yes. They should know because I wrote them a very strong worded letter a couple of years ago specifying that they had to revive Judy garland to play Elphaba alongside Kesha as Galinda.

Posted by ucjrdude902 2013-02-21 19:52:59

I just want Robin Williams as the Wizard and Bette Midler as Morrible

Posted by Jonwo 2013-02-21 19:54:59

I think they could cast unknowns in the roles of Elphaba and Glinda but cast more famous actors in the other roles like The Wizard and Morrible,

Posted by all that jazz 2013-02-21 20:04:45

This could be Universal's biggest success yet, I don't think they'll rely on unknown actresses for the leading roles. They will most likely be mega pop stars which actually, as long as they can sing, wouldn't bother me at all. I can see Lady Gaga as Elphaba.

Posted by Scarywarhol 2013-02-21 20:06:04

The biggest and best film musicals of the last fifty years were animated.

Posted by Auggie27 2013-02-21 20:19:49

How about without songs, like LADY IN THE DARK with Ginger Rogers? That's what OZ looks like: WICKED without the songs.

Posted by all that jazz 2013-02-21 20:32:17

Yes some of the most successful musicals of the past 30 years have been animated, and do we value then as masterpieces?? No. Did they produce any stars? No. Do the actors give award winning performances?? No.

And Auggie27, the most powerful thing in Wicked is the music, without it it would just be another wizard of oz movie.

Posted by Auggie27 2013-02-21 20:40:05

I was being facetious.

Posted by all that jazz 2013-02-21 20:46:28

Sorry Aggie, with some of the posts I've read on this boards, yours seemed perfectly honnest.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-21 20:53:48

"Yes some of the most successful musicals of the past 30 years have been animated, and do we value then as masterpieces?? No. Did they produce any stars? No. Do the actors give award winning performances?? No."

First off, several Disney musicals in the past 30 years are most definitely considered "Masterpieces". Why would an animated movie have to produce stars? Is that the point of them? Is that what you see the point of the WICKED movie being? Do they have to win a lot of awards for them to be good movies? Do only "masterpieces" win awards? Because I can think of a hell of a lot of "masterpieces" where nobody was given any sort of an award.

I think you're a little too attached to the musical of the green girl. Maybe you should just take a step back and let the movie be made (in the next 4 years or so) before you work yourself up in a tizzy about it. Because unless you're working on that film - It's gonna be what it's gonna be.

Posted by Kad 2013-02-21 20:54:38

"Yes some of the most successful musicals of the past 30 years have been animated, and do we value then as masterpieces?? No."

Yeah, no.

Wicked would lend itself very well to animation. And it would probably make more money and a lovelier film for it.

Live action runs the risk of embracing the green screen to death. It's a fantastical world and no filmmaker is willing to make a fantastical world by hand anymore.

That's probably what will happen, though. It's easier. It has precedent for success.

But pooh-poohing an animated film is ridiculous.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-21 20:56:20

Kad, you probably can't name even one animated masterpiece.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-21 20:56:37

See, I told you you couldn't.

Posted by Kad 2013-02-21 20:58:29

DAMN YOU GOT ME. All animated films are for babies and immature morons.

So Wicked could really work as an animated film, then.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-21 21:02:44

But 13 year old fat girls need a REAL girl they drool over and scream "THAT'S ME!!!!!!" to the screen. It's just kind of pathetic if you do it to an animated character, y'know.

Posted by Kad 2013-02-21 21:07:19

As long as that Elphaba is the third replacement Elphaba from the sixth Croatian tour! You know the one! This film will make her a star!

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-21 21:11:06

Well it HAS to be someone who was in the show. Or Anne Hathaway or one of the girls from PRETTY LITTLE LIARS. I mean, it HAS. TO. BE.

Posted by Kad 2013-02-21 21:11:55

If it's Taylor Swift, I will LITERALLY KILL MYSELF AND THEN EVERYONE ELSE.

Posted by Wynbish 2013-02-21 21:14:05

"Fiyero, I just met you, and this is crazy..."

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-21 21:14:31

...but pull my finger, and call me maybe"

Posted by Kad 2013-02-21 21:14:40

You know what, I'd watch the hell out of that.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-21 21:16:00

"Friday, Friday, Flyin' Brooms On Friday"

Posted by all that jazz 2013-02-21 21:36:16

I adore all of the Disney classic specially Beauty and the Beast which was my favorite movie growing up. However I'm an actor and call me elitist or whatever you want to call me, but I believe a film's or a show's heart and soul relies on its performances; even more so with musicals. I think musicals present unique opportunities for actors to express things which they couldn't express if it weren't for the music. That's why they produce such legendary performances like Liza in Cabaret, Barbra in Funny Girl, Jennifer Hudson in Dreamgirls...

Wicked if done right definitely has the potential to deliver such performances and it would really be a shame to lower such a monumental show to animation. If Rock of Ages had a chance, then it should go without saying that Wicked deserves one too.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-21 21:47:30

Of everything I've ever read since I was in preschool, that ranks up there as one of the most ridiculous.

Posted by Kad 2013-02-21 21:52:44

"Lower such a monumental show to animation"?

First off: Wicked's book and lyrics are not advanced enough to be on a Saturday morning cartoon. If anything, animation has to stoop down to Wicked.

Second off: Yeah, you're elitist. A genuinely well-crafted work of animation is no "less" than any other work of art. Watch something by Miyazaki. Watch classic Disney films. Watch something by Henry Selick. Watch WALL-E or Up.

Being an actor is not a valid defense.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-21 21:57:17

Fans of this musical never disappoint as being some of the most illogical human beings ever put on this planet.

Posted by all that jazz 2013-02-21 22:09:54

Jordan, Well judging by the maturity of your posts pre school shouldn't have been too much time ago, am I right?

And could you please enlighten me by telling me which part of my post you found ridiculous so that I can stay awake tionight and reflect upon my stupidity.

Kad, I have watched all of the Disney classics, Walt Disney is one of my biggest idols and I have spent years studying his extraordinary life and legacy. Some of them are pieces of art, like Most of the Pixar movies, but they still can't be compared to live action movies. Yes, of course animators are artists too but an animated character is not able to make you feel what an actor makes you feel, and even if they could they shouldn't. It goes against the very essence of theater.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-21 22:12:01

Ouch. That stung.

Posted by Kad 2013-02-21 22:29:24

But this isn't theater. This is a film.

And what about the scores and scores of terrible live-action films, which easily outnumber animated films? And what about terrible actors, of which many still manage to have a good career?

"Yes, of course animators are artists too but an animated character is not able to make you feel what an actor makes you feel, and even if they could they shouldn't."

That is one of the most absurd things I have ever read on this forum. Congratulations. So people who are moved by animated characters shouldn't feel that way? And therefore, animators shouldn't try?

And what is your idea of the essence of theatre, anyway? Because it seems naive. And narrow-minded. And very young and poorly informed.

I'll tell you what the very essence of theatre is: it's human beings creating something from nothing something that reflects life in front of an audience. It is not to cause an audience to "feel". The feeling happens naturally.

Animation is a human endeavor. Is it no less than live performance. Or writing. Or dance. Or sculpting. Or music. Stop treating it like it's beneath you and maybe you'll expand as an artist.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-21 22:32:33

But this is WICKED, Kad.

This is different.

Posted by Kad 2013-02-21 22:35:45

Wicked is the essence of theatre. Three millennia of the art has led up to it.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-21 22:39:01

It will be cockroaches, Cher & Wicked.

Posted by Kad 2013-02-21 22:40:43

The 2834 cast of Wicked: Cher as Elphaba, and cockroaches.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-21 22:48:32

And all that jazz.

Posted by all that jazz 2013-02-21 22:52:55

I've been deeply moved by animated films, like I mentioned before I love the disney classics. I didn't say that animated characters couldn't make you feel, I said they couldn't make you feel what an actual actor can make feel. Because they're not humans!!! It's like observing a painting, they're beautiful, thy make you think, they make you feel, but it doesn't substitute watching actors onstage. If a person could feel the same watching an image on a screen or a canvas, as they feel watching a play, then there wouldn't be any theatre. People come to the theatre to witness the human experience, which nobody can present better than humans. I'm really not trying to offend anyone, and I don't write this out pride, this is how I truly feel. My passion towards drama is something so big that I haven't been able to figure it out. I could be wrong.

BTW, I'm very aware that wicked is not high art and its not even my favorite musical.

Posted by finebydesign 2013-02-21 22:53:38

"Yes, of course animators are artists too but an animated character is not able to make you feel what an actor makes you feel, and even if they could they shouldn't. It goes against the very essence of theater."

Have you been to theatre? You do understand masks, puppetry and crude forms of animation have been enthralling audiences for THOUSANDS OF YEARS.

Whether its a naked actor on stage or a puppet manipulated by 10-people, if they're good, they can make feel. Animated films totally have this affect. I still cannot rewatch Bambi, and I cried a river in the first few minutes of Up. Animation is very close to theatre, its spoken word, illusion, masks, puppetry.

Posted by all that jazz 2013-02-21 23:11:23

My previous comments reflect where I stand on the issue, they reflect my opinion. Lets just leave it at that. I don't expect everyone to think like me, it's a matter of opinion and taste. I love watching animated films, I enjoy puppetry when done artistically. I absolutely looooved The Lion King on Broadway. Obviously there are animations which are way better than some live action, but to me, PERSONALLY, an animated film would never substitute a live action one.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-21 23:12:53

Ok. Sleep well!

Posted by all that jazz 2013-02-21 23:14:48

Good Night peoplez!

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-21 23:17:59

Dream green!!!!!

Posted by Kad 2013-02-21 23:23:00

Your passion toward theatre as it stands now is not, and will not be, a boon to you.

Posted by all that jazz 2013-02-22 05:45:21

I never said it was, maybe it's a curse. That's just how I feel and though it may be wrong, guess what I like it...

Posted by Kad 2013-02-22 09:51:07

How old are you?

Posted by all that jazz 2013-02-22 09:56:01

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2013-02-22 10:33:20

Umm...so yeah, what about WICKED?

Posted by all that jazz 2013-02-22 10:51:28

Well It's playing at the Gershwin, I've heard it's doing good.

Posted by Wynbish 2013-02-22 11:02:16

Justin Bieber concerts have been selling out. His music must be quality art as well.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-22 11:05:12

Lots of people have read this thread. Must mean it's going to win a Pulitzer!

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2013-02-22 11:31:34

I must say this: WICKED sure has a RABID (as in foaming-at-the-mouth) fan base. It's truly scary. Wouldn't want to be caught in a movie theater full of them. I will wait for the blu-ray release.

Posted by Kad 2013-02-22 11:32:43

You have a lot to see, to learn, and to do. Go see weird theatre, if you can. Downtown, avant-garde, off-Broadway, off-off-Broadway, theatre from other parts of the world- whatever is available to you. Not just Broadway or Broadway tours.

This is not to Jordan, who has seen and done everything and everybody.

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2013-02-22 11:32:58

Well It's playing at the Gershwin, I've heard it's doing good.

Oh, the "brilliance" of high school humor...those were the days.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-22 12:48:58

Jesus, Kad! You make me seem as old as Dollypop! I'm only 34!!

But I WAS there to see Idina come out in her red jogging suit, ruining the entire show with what was perhaps the single most unprofessional thing I've ever seen an actor do.

Posted by Wynbish 2013-02-22 12:53:03

Posted by Kad 2013-02-22 13:11:56

Not old, Jordan. Worldly.

Dollypop is not worldly.

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2013-02-22 13:29:48

^ Bwahahahahah!!! This is mean!

Posted by all that jazz 2013-02-22 13:35:18

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-22 13:47:57

17, huh? Y'don't say.

Posted by Kad 2013-02-22 13:53:11

Target audience achieved.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-22 13:57:50

Sometimes I really do wish I could be 17 again. But then I remember how I used to freak out like a wet cat whenever anyone said anything bad about something I liked and think, "nah, nevermind".

Posted by Wynbish 2013-02-22 14:07:21

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-22 14:31:20

I'd be 17 again if it meant I could hit that.

Posted by Jungle Red 2013-02-22 15:04:43

Totes!

I really don't want a WICKED movie, unless they follow the book. While I enjoy the musical, I hate the story and the Wizard has stupid songs.

Posted by best12bars 2013-02-22 15:04:50

Is it wrong to hope for a Claymation movie?

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-22 15:07:56

I'd be happy with a marionette version if it meant I could see all the kids freak the fvck out.

Posted by best12bars 2013-02-22 15:08:56

They can just use "I Got No Strings to HOLD ME DOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWN!"

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2013-02-22 15:10:14

EL OH EL!!!

Posted by Kad 2013-02-22 15:40:43

I want to see a kabuki Wicked.

Posted by Wynbish 2013-02-22 15:45:55

I want a silent movie Wicked

Posted by Jay Lerner-Z 2013-02-22 15:49:08

I want an all-penguin Wicked.

Posted by Wynbish 2013-02-22 15:52:59

I want a straight-to-DVD 5 dollar bin at Wal-Mart Wicked

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2013-02-22 15:53:56

^ LOVE!

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2013-02-22 15:55:06

You know the all the rabid WICKED fans heads are exploding, right?

*PoP* *BooM* *PoP* *BooM*

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-22 16:37:45

I want a kabuki bukakki WICKED.

Posted by Jungle Red 2013-02-22 16:39:06

The Asians love that!

Posted by Kad 2013-02-22 16:45:27

Throw in some tentacles and I think we could have a real hit.

Posted by TheGingerBreadMan 2013-02-22 16:48:12

If this film is a success, I think Universal Studios Resort should open a WICKED-themed ride. Maybe do it like the Shrek feature they have, a 3D short film with seats that move along with the show.

Posted by mememe 2013-02-22 16:55:15

In response to the question regarding my post...sorry I am late! I guess its up to the film maker how much time passes. Bille Burke is in her fifties as Glinda so it shouldn't hurt the tie in

Posted by mememe 2013-02-22 16:58:37

Forgive me Billie not Bille - and the thing about the theme park is nonsense. The world of Oz is not in copyright. The original movie yes but not the book. Hence WICKED can do what they want as long as they do not include anything that was created specifically for the movie. If they wanted a WICKED ride/park they can have one

Posted by TheGingerBreadMan 2013-02-22 18:41:19

Posted by E.Davis 2013-02-22 19:40:13

Did not know that David Lindsay-Abaire penned the screenplay for Oz: The Great and Powerful. Gives me faith that it will be a good film.

Posted by OperaBwayLover 2013-02-22 19:46:31

Wasn't there talk several years ago of a Wicked movie/tv miniseries that WOULD be based on the book?

Posted by E.Davis 2013-02-22 21:46:59

And Selma Hayek was supposed to be producing it for ABC.

Posted by fingerlakessinger 2013-02-23 03:08:41

^ I think that silently died once the musical became a mega success.
As a WICKED fan, I have to say that many of its fans do not do the majority of us any favors. I have seen WICKED many times and each time, people have been moved to tears by its story (and no, not just tweens, but a lot of adults and elderly people.)
Its just really unfortunate that many fans are....lunatics. Sorry to be blunt but its true. I have never gone to do the stage door for that very reason. Its embarrassing. And coming on here and seeing many "fans" of the show act like morons makes me kind of angry. And it has given WICKED a bad name because of it.
But back to the topic. Universal, in my opinion, has to be careful with this. I think where the true beauty of WICKED comes out is during the darker scenes. If you go back to the original cast, and more recently, the Dutch/German casts, the darker edge of the musical showed. I'm not saying that there aren't fluff moments, because there is. But "No Good Deed", "For Good", "March of the Witch Hunters"," No One Mourns the Wicked" and various others can be truly haunting. And I think in order for the movie to be remotely good, they will have to delve into both aspects of the script, but touch a bit more on the dark side.
Sorry for the grammatical errors. I am hardly keeping my eyes open right now haha

Posted by all that jazz 2013-02-23 08:47:57

If by rabid and lunatic fans you guys meant me, I' sorry to disappoint you but I'm not. Wicked is not remotely my favorite show, I just happen to get very excited every time a movie musical is being made.

Fingerlakesinger, I agree with what you said about the darker themes, that's why they need a director with a clear and innovative vision. As long as he gets real singers and doesn't butcher the score, Tim Burton would be ideal for this project. Afterall he already brought to life, beautifully, another fantasy land, wonderland.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-23 09:32:45

Tim Burton? lol

If they're doing a film that wants to explore the truly dark themes of the story, than get a Del Toro, Cuaron, Fincher, Demme, or to truly bring out the fvcked up world of Oz maybe even Gilliam.

But Tim Burton? LOL

Posted by all that jazz 2013-02-23 10:16:47

Those are all great choices, specially Cuaron.
Yes, Burton might seem too mainstream nowadays, but remember this is a very commercial project, and Burton is one of those few directors who can be considered household names for most of the population. Plus it needs dark elements, but the whole piece can't be dark. I personally really love his style and I think he was successful in transforming the wonderland America knew and loved into something new. Oz is deeply engraved in the American culture as a very particular world so it will be a bit tricky to transform it without taking out the classic elements which the audience already expects.

Posted by Kad 2013-02-23 10:19:09

If Burton's Alice in Wonderland is the bar you want to set for Wicked, well...

If they wanted to explore the darker elements of the story, they'd need to get rid of Winnie Holzman's lousy book, which turned a complex, pitch dark novel into a teen rom-com after school special.

Posted by Patronus 2013-02-23 10:27:08

Burton is a lot of things, but "dark" isn't one of them. He makes Disney films for the goth kids. Nothing "dark" about it.

You want dark? Let's see Darren Aronofsky direct this film. The double-sided dildo dance segment during "Dancing Through Life" would be inspired!

Posted by all that jazz 2013-02-23 10:33:31

No, obviously I want Wicked to be much bigger than Wonderland, but overall I really liked the film. Burton was my first thought, but certainly there are better suited directors for this project.

To be honnest I can't really picture a musical with a song like "Popular" being a dark piece.

Aronofsky is indeed an isnpired choice for this project. He was my first choice for Jekyll and Hyde as well.

Posted by Kad 2013-02-23 10:34:40

Burton used to do dark very well, until about 10 years ago when he decided he could patent his German Expressionist angles and jerky spirals and make bank.

Posted by Patronus 2013-02-23 10:37:40

I like Tim Burton as much as the next guy and while his style is unconventional I can't think of anything he's done that I'd truly call dark.

Unless we're simply talking about using darker shading and camera lenses.

When I dark I think of deep, uncomfortable and eerie.

Posted by somethingwicked 2013-02-23 10:39:32

The most recent rumor has been that Universal is courting Stephen Daldry to direct the WICKED movie.

Posted by TheGingerBreadMan 2013-02-23 10:49:17

I've been wanting this movie to be done for years and I'm seriously going to injure someone if Tim Burton directs.

Posted by all that jazz 2013-02-23 10:59:26

I feel your pain Ginger, that's how I felt about animation.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-23 11:00:33

You kids need a non WICKED related hobby.

Posted by Patronus 2013-02-23 11:14:35

Yeah, something really dark. Like Parcheesi!

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-23 11:17:59

Or some of them hungry ass hippos.

Posted by Patronus 2013-02-23 11:21:36

Or some mo farking Cooties!

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-23 11:22:01

Now THAT'S dark and twisted.

Posted by Patronus 2013-02-23 11:25:48

I just laid it down Burton style, bee yatches!

Posted by all that jazz 2013-02-23 11:30:40

Wicked is not my hobby!! If this thread weren't here I wouldn't be talking about it.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-23 11:32:11

I highly doubt there's a lot of truth in that statement.

Posted by all that jazz 2013-02-23 11:38:12

I'm always obsessed with a different musical, at the moment is Les Mis. I've had my wicked moments but they're usually very brief.

My hobby is tumblr.

Posted by TheGingerBreadMan 2013-02-23 11:39:18

WICKED is not my hobby, theater is my hobby. I just happen to enjoy WICKED. Just like I enjoy other shows.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-23 11:42:54

Well ok!

Posted by best12bars 2013-02-23 11:48:39

I enjoy Wicked and only Wicked. Nothing else matters.

Not even breathing.

If you can't riff while you're strapped onto a cherry picker, I don't even want to know you.

Posted by rorschach37 2013-02-23 11:48:49

I never have, nor will I ever understand Wicked's popularity. I thought it was one of the worst musicals ever to it Broadway.

Posted by best12bars 2013-02-23 11:52:55

^ You seriously don't understand any number of a dozen reasons why it's so popular?

I'm not asking why you don't think it's good either.

Good has nothing to do with popular. All you have to do is turn on your TV for five minutes to figure that out.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-23 12:01:58

"Good has nothing to do with popular. "

They need to incorporate that line into the song.