Printer Friendly - Comments about Newsies?

Comments about Newsies?
Posted by mmFan 2013-02-13 15:30:37

Can someone describe Newsies? It wasn't in my radar to see it, but it was recommended and the music seems quite catchy. I do tend to like more modern fun musicals where you walk away singing the songs. For when we're coming, I only see a small amount of good seats (i.e. I like to sit near the front) but will consider paying for premium seats if it's really worth it.

So any comments are welcome...good or bad

Comments about Newsies?
Posted by rorschach37 2013-02-13 15:47:27

I enjoyed it when I saw it last summer. IMHO, Jeremy Jordan was the main reason to see it, but I hear Corey is quite good. The story is pretty simplistic and not very developed, but the music and choreography are both great. While I would recommend seeing it, I certainly wouldn't recommend paying for premium seats.

Comments about Newsies?
Posted by Hank 2013-02-13 15:51:11

The setting is the 1899 New York newspaper vendors strike, but other than that it indeed a fun musical, with amazing choreography. It's based on Disney flick, but by no means just another kids show. The fact that it's selling so well is an indication of it's huge popularity and broad apeal.

Comments about Newsies?
Posted by Gink 2013-02-13 15:56:44

My 13 years old daughted and grandfather loved it. Older teen son and I admired the acrobatics but just thought it was okay. Some of the songs are very catchy, and they have grown on me as my daughter had the cast recording playing in the car repeatedly. We fast foward Pulitzer's songs.

Comments about Newsies?
Posted by macnyc 2013-02-13 16:00:51

You can get good seats in the mid-mezzanine that aren't that expensive, and see really fine from up there. In fact, I would recommend the mid-mezzanine over the rear orchestra. The Newsies action fills all three levels of the stage (it's kind of like a metal structure), so you don't want to sit under the overhang in the orchestra.

I love Newsies. Great music, wonderful, exciting dancing, good story.

Comments about Newsies?
Posted by DAME 2013-02-13 16:06:24

I have seen it twice. I actually like the new kid better than Jeremy. But they are actually quite interchangeable. The second time we got fantastic 3rd row orchestra, right of the center aisle seats thru tkts. It was on a Monday night. I have a feeling that most of the prime seats become regular priced when it is closer to showtime.. and if your lucky those seats are up for half price at tkts.

Comments about Newsies?
Posted by macnyc 2013-02-13 16:17:55

^^^ Good point! In the orchestra, I wouldn't sit any farther back than row L.

Comments about Newsies?
Posted by mmFan 2013-02-14 07:53:49

Thank you for the comments. It sounds like a good one and think we're going to try and see it. Does the show sell out? I know there are discount codes but from what I've seen you need to buy closer to the date so am worried that if we wait, the close seats will be gone . But the premium cost is quite $$$. We'll only be in NY for a couple days so we'd see it either a Sat night or Sun matinee.

Comments about Newsies?
Posted by Phillytheatreguy10 2013-02-14 09:18:03

Try Playbill.com for discount codes, just sign-up (for free) to become a member of The Playbill Club, also gets you other perks, discounts, hotel discounts, etc. And yes, the show sells out regularly! It's well worth it!