Printer Friendly - CHESS Back to Broadway with Josh Groban?

CHESS Back to Broadway with Josh Groban?
Posted by macbeth 2013-02-04 12:48:27

http://broadwayworld.com/article/InDepth-InterView-Josh-Groban-Discusses-ALL-THAT-ECHOES-Album-Live-Concert-Event-Plus-CHESS-on-Broadway-GLEE-More-20130204

PC: What a revelation - and what fantastic news!

JG: At this point, though, I am just not sure what show it will be - maybe it is CHESS, maybe it is something else. I think that, deep down, I want it to be a show that I can introduce to people - and I think that a show like PHANTOM is just so famous and so prolific.... You know, it usually takes a couple of things to get me maybe-interested in a lead role; the first is if the music is brilliant, which, in that case, I think it is. The second thing is if I can show something new to an audience - something that they didn't know they wanted or something they didn't expect. That's what I remember from the shows that I loved the most when I was kid - people sitting down and not knowing what really to expect and then just walking on air afterwards. That would be my ideal experience for the audience to have.

PC: CHESS just sold out its Off-West End mounting coming up - it seems primed and ready for a big Broadway revival, don't you think?

JG: It's so brilliant - it's just so great. Tim Rice and I actually just had lunch in New York not too long ago and he is really dying to find a way to bring it back to Broadway. I told him that I would personally love to work with him hand in hand in making that happen soon. As you know, and as they talked about in that article in The New York Times recently, with shows trying to make it to Broadway, a million things could happen between now and then that could prevent it from happening.

Read more about InDepth InterView: Josh Groban Discusses ALL THAT ECHOES Album & Live Concert Event, Plus CHESS on Broadway?, GLEE & More by broadwayworld.com

Posted by ACL2006 2013-02-04 12:57:13

it would sell on Broadway if put in the right house. Groban's a name, but nobody really knows what Chess is. It should come over in a limited run and go from there.

Posted by Rockyfan2000 2013-02-04 14:50:12

I hope not. I didn't care much for him in the London concert.

Posted by Rockyfan2000 2013-02-04 14:50:13

I hope not. I didn't care much for him in the London concert.

Posted by darquegk 2013-02-04 14:51:00

If this comes back to Broadway, will they finally reinstate one of the European scripts and complete the legal battles that forced the American/Broadway script to be performed for years?

Posted by little_sally 2013-02-04 17:35:03

I really, really hope this happens.

Posted by #1Elphie 2013-02-04 17:47:39

Me. Too. I would absolutely love this show to return to Broadway.

Posted by Rockyfan2000 2013-02-04 18:16:00

I would love it to return too but without Josh Groban.

Posted by little_sally 2013-02-04 18:18:22

I doubt this show would succeed on or even find the backing for Broadway without a name in the cast. Josh Groban has a wonderful voice, and I'd rather see him in it than someone like Ricky Martin as the Arbiter.

Posted by fingerlakessinger 2013-02-04 19:16:20

I want this.
I want this with Josh, Adam and Idina. Yes. I said Idina. No shame there haha. But if not Idina, then Julia.
Actually...I don't think I could choose between the two :/

Posted by RippedMan 2013-02-04 19:48:42

Put this in the Music Box or one of the smaller houses, let it sell out and work on word-of-mouth. It doesn't need to be a big show. It's a pretty simple show, and it's got that whole "from the creators of Mamma Mia" tag line too.

Posted by broadwayjim42 2013-02-04 19:55:27

I'll take Josh and Adam but please no Idina. She ruined the Royal Albert Hall CD for me. Still haven't played the thing the whole way through.

Posted by little_sally 2013-02-04 20:01:05

Agreed, broadwayjim42. I love Josh's vocals on that recording but I cannot listen to his duets with Idina.

Posted by fingerlakessinger 2013-02-04 22:24:20

I disagree with that. I found her to be amazing. She made "Nobody's Side" a favorite for me. Her voice can be polarizing though.

Posted by bjh2114 2013-02-04 22:57:55

Her Nobody's Side is atrocious. It pales in comparison to Julia Murney's version.

Posted by fingerlakessinger 2013-02-04 22:59:48

That's your opinion. In my opinion (and others) its a great rendition. I can't choose between Idina's and Julia's though.

Posted by Rabekriegerin 2013-02-04 23:19:40

... and I read this 30 seconds after I protested to my best friend that if this ever mounted a fully staged production within driving distance, I'd be there in a heartbeat. Reeling a bit over here from the idea.

I wouldn't even begin to speculate casting, though, obviously, I'd love to see Drew as the American [again!], unlikely as it seems.

Posted by bwayphreak234 2013-02-04 23:22:47

Please not Josh Groban. PLEASEEE NO.

Posted by wonkit 2013-02-04 23:29:53

Like Josh Groban. Like CHESS. But not together.

Posted by Owen22 2013-02-05 13:25:06

Actually Josh Groban was the ONLY thing I liked about the London "Chess" concert. Hated Idina and Pascal (admittedly Idina more).

But what I most hate is the HORRIBLE dramaturgy of the European, Tim Rice approved "Chess". And of course he approves of it, it incorporates every f*cking song he wrote for the piece even though half of the songs are completely undramatic (for instance the show starts four times, giving us places and events and third tier character points of view that stall the show to the point it really never recovers).

Say what you want about the Richard Nelson Broadway book, at least it created some real characters you cared deeply for and moved the show along in a tensely narrative way. Trevor's direction in both the London and Broadway versions also hampered the piece (though he basically inherited the London production) but at least on Broadway he wanted to tell a coherent story.

Posted by luvtheEmcee 2013-02-05 13:32:31

I thought the London concert paled in comparison to the 2004 Actor's Fund concert. But man, I would love to see Chess come back.

Posted by Wynbish 2013-02-05 14:29:48

The London Arbiter... *shudder*

Posted by newintown 2013-02-05 14:37:03

Sincere question: why would it sell now, if it could only sell 68 performances back in 1988? I saw that one, and don't think that the production sabotaged the work (although that's often the argument offered to explain a show's failure).

Posted by OperaBwayLover 2013-02-05 15:07:35

I'm for it. He has a nice voice, and there's no harm in it being a limited run to start off with. I second RippedMan's idea.

Posted by DEClarke 2013-02-05 15:13:49

I like the London Concert with him. I'd hope they could get Adam and Idina back. Oh and Keri too! If they didn't, I don't know if I'd care too much about it.

Posted by rosscoe(au) 2013-02-05 15:37:01

Keep that screaming banshee that is Idina away from this!

Posted by luvtheEmcee 2013-02-05 15:48:07

If this happens, I'd love to see Adam back in it too, though I'd also understand if people/the powers that be feel like they're ready for something new. He's expressed interest a couple of times in working on a new or revised incarnation of the show, though, so that could be interesting.

Posted by Kad 2013-02-05 15:52:43

Groban is the only reason this would happen.

Posted by Princeton Returns 2013-02-05 15:55:29

I saw it at the Albert Hall and while Groban has the voice he is not an actor. Adam PAscal was very good (despite sound issues during the whole thing) and Idina was pretty bad, she really struggled and that wasnt helped by the sound problems

Posted by LYLS3637 2013-02-05 16:13:02

I know I'm in the minority, but I loved Idina in the London concert. At the very least, she's a much more interesting performer than the "Arbiter" and "Walter". Kerry Ellis' voice is gorgeous (arguably more suitable for Florence than Idina) but she's not a very dynamic stage presence.

Posted by uncageg 2013-02-05 17:55:26

No more Groban.
Just....no more.

Posted by Mister Matt 2013-02-05 18:04:50

Her Nobody's Side is atrocious. It pales in comparison to Julia Murney's version.

I feel the exact opposite. The recording I heard, Murney was constantly struggling during all her belt numbers and severely off pitch. It was painful to hear.

Posted by Rockyfan2000 2013-02-05 18:11:23

No to Josh. No to Idina. There are other actors/singers out there who can do a much better job!

Posted by Amalia Balash 2013-02-05 18:29:34

Josh Groban is fun to follow on Twitter and I don't have strong feelings either way about him in a Broadway revival of Chess. What I do have strong feelings about is the need for a book that makes sense. I like a lot of the songs, but have never been moved by the underlying story.

Posted by Tateh 2013-02-05 23:32:02

Love Groban CD´s, but not him in Chess again please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by fingerlakessinger 2013-02-05 23:48:18

Idina's "Heaven Help My Heart" is gorgeous IMO.

Posted by g.d.e.l.g.i. 2013-02-05 23:55:08

Saw the perfect book for this online -- a dramaturge named Wayne Rossi really did a number on the Broadway libretto, making it perfect for use in amateur productions, straightening out many of the more complicated elements. It plays very well. (PM if interested.)

Posted by Phantom of London 2013-02-06 06:01:11

You would need a big name to play Freddie and Florence therefore making the project have high weekly running costs.

Posted by EponineAmneris 2013-02-07 08:56:47

I LOVE CHESS. I LOVE Josh Groban and Adam Pascal. I love Josh and Adam in CHESS.

I... like... Idina. I ... dislike... her in CHESS.

But I am 100% for a revival with whoever LOL