Printer Friendly - Streep 'confirmed' as The Witch in WOODS film

Streep 'confirmed' as The Witch in WOODS film
Posted by ljay889 2013-01-31 19:26:04

http://broadwayworld.com/article/SCOOP-Meryl-Streep-to-Play-the-Witch-in-INTO-THE-WOODS-Film-Arranger-David-Krane-Confirms-20130131

Ugh. Should be CZJ.

Posted by bwayphreak234 2013-01-31 19:27:29

I would prefer CZJ too, but I can't complain about this.

Posted by The Josh 2013-01-31 19:29:12

Not ideal, but certainly not bad. I, too, was hoping for CZJ.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2013-01-31 19:29:31

I'm a fan of Meryl and I'm a fan of Into the Woods, but I'm not quite sure the combination of the two is right.

Posted by Jungle Red 2013-01-31 19:29:43

Nevermind. I read the article. I assumed "film arranger" was some sort of weird term for editor, which I thought was odd, considering that it hasn't been filmed yet.

Posted by Matt Rogers 2013-01-31 19:34:16

Who the hell is CZJ for those not as witty and intelligent as your cocky grand selves?

Posted by sabrelady 2013-01-31 19:35:13

Catherine

Posted by nasty_khakis 2013-01-31 19:35:26

Since we have a giant "name" as the witch, can we PLEASE keep Nina Arianda as the Baker's Wife??? I'll do anything!

Posted by sabrelady 2013-01-31 19:35:32

Zeta.

Posted by sabrelady 2013-01-31 19:35:54

Jones.

Posted by Matt Rogers 2013-01-31 19:36:01

How incredibly helpful of you

Posted by wicked1492 2013-01-31 19:39:56

TONI COLLETTE. That is all.

Posted by Jungle Red 2013-01-31 19:40:38

I almost asked if she could sing, then CHICAGO slapped me across the face.

If you think we're cocky, then why do you stick around?

Posted by jasonf 2013-01-31 19:45:19

More to the point, how did you NOT know who CZJ is?

Posted by Jungle Red 2013-01-31 19:55:29

Hell's going to be fun. Too bad you won't be there. I'm not letting you in.

Anyway, I think Meryl is a good choice. As my boyfriend says about guys I think are cute, but he doesn't, "Seen better, done worse."

Posted by OperaBwayLover 2013-01-31 19:57:00

I'm intrigued about this casting. Since there is now a large 'name' attached to the project, maybe we will get some theatre names in (since Ms. Streep can serve as enough star power on her own) and the movie will be all around fantastic. Kind of excited about the film now.

Posted by Jungle Red 2013-01-31 20:01:45

I'm curious to know how well Streep will work with Marshall. I know Streep is the ultimate professional but it's like pigs vs Unicorns.

And Meryl is the Unicorn.

I'm not sure that makes any sense, but I'm going with it...

Posted by beautywickedlover 2013-01-31 20:07:07

I'm sure Meryl will do a terrific job. If she could handle ABBA music in 'Mamma Mia' and she took opera lessons when she was younger, then I am sure that she be great.

Also, this article at Cinema Blend says that Allison Janney has already joined the film as well. I know that she previously read the role of Jack's Mother.

Posted by GlindatheGood22 2013-01-31 20:09:07

Meh. I'm bored of Streep being in everything.

Posted by bobs3 2013-01-31 20:11:46

Is anyone really surprised by this news? She will be great in the role -- remember she is Meryl Streep. She's got the star power to sell tickets (think Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway star power all rolled into one) and other "A-list" actors will lower their quotes given the opportunity to work with Streep (you may not like her but she is beloved in the film industry -- she is admired and considered an acting goddess by most working actors).

Posted by Jungle Red 2013-01-31 20:18:26

"Meh. I'm bored of Streep being in everything."

Like what? She was in two movies last year and one in 2011. She didn't appear in theaters at all in 2010. On the other hand, she was in three projects in 2009. Mamma Mia! was released in 2008.

So, no, she hasn't been in "everything". You may still be living in 2007, where she released 4 movies.

Posted by OperaBwayLover 2013-01-31 20:22:51

It's kind of sad that some people on the FB post of this story are complaining because they didn't get Bernadette to do it. I love Bernadette as much as the next person, but her performance has already been recorded on film. It's exciting that there will be two interpretations on film for us to enjoy/compare.

Posted by GavestonPS 2013-01-31 20:23:42

Streep also sang Kurt Weill on Broadway in HAPPY END. She can sing INTO THE WOODS.

Now what Zeta-Jones has ever done to make people think she can sing the Witch is beyond me! Yes, I've heard her sing a small role in STREET SCENE and three songs in NIGHT MUSIC; and then there was CHICAGO on film, where I'm told they recorded her practically one note at a time.

None of those roles sounds anything like the Witch in range or timbre.

Streep is perfect, whether you're bored with her or not.

Posted by Jungle Red 2013-01-31 20:27:50

Bernadette is a star, but not on the level that this film needs. Meryl is perfect.

I can't wait for this!

Posted by rosscoe(au) 2013-01-31 20:35:45

So glad they kept CZJ away from this, there really is not a lot of talent in that woman. ( IMO )

Posted by uncageg 2013-01-31 20:35:54

One of my all time favorite shows and scores...and now they ruined the movie, for me. I too am over her in everything, and I like her.

Posted by LYLS3637 2013-01-31 20:38:48

In the words of Cameron Tucker from "Modern Family"...

"Excuse me. Meryl Streep could play Batman and be the right choice. She's perfection!!"

Posted by BWay Fan 2013-01-31 20:39:47

But some of those major roles listed in the reading were replaced..heard about Meryl and Alison Janney but have heard three roles have been signed by different actors that were at the reading

Posted by bobs3 2013-01-31 20:40:22

"Excuse me. Meryl Streep could play Batman and be the right choice. She's perfection!!"

^That's a like!

Posted by EgermanArmfelt 2013-01-31 20:42:35

Goodness please let Nina Arianda play the Baker's Wife!

Posted by GavestonPS 2013-01-31 20:44:47

One of my all time favorite shows and scores...and now they ruined the movie, for me. I too am over her in everything, and I like her.

That damn Streep woman ruins every movie she makes! That's why she hasn't worked since the last PORKY'S sequel! (And I like her.)

Oh, good grief! Go back and listen to what she did with Shel Silverstein's "I'm Checking Out (from the Heartbreak Hotel)" at the end of POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE. No, that isn't the style of singing she'll use for ITW, but listen just as a hint of her range.

Posted by bobs3 2013-01-31 20:46:39

Or "I See Me" from DEATH BECOMES HER.

Posted by Gothampc 2013-01-31 20:47:39

I guess they are going to cut the part in the movie where the witch turn into a beautiful woman cause Streep ain't that beautiful.

Is the witch's music that hard to sing? I thought she had all that patter speak-singing.

Posted by beautywickedlover 2013-01-31 20:49:05

"I guess they are going to cut the part in the movie where the witch turn into a beautiful woman cause Streep ain't that beautiful."

Streep has embraced her age with grace.

Posted by OperaBwayLover 2013-01-31 20:50:03

She may not be beautiful (I think she's lovely), but she can pull off glamorous. It's always fun to see photos of her attending award shows because she always looks amazing.

Edit: The Witch can be glamorous: see the original London production with Julia McKenzie.

Posted by bobs3 2013-01-31 20:51:21

I surmise The Witch will be a combination live action and animation (or as some call it manimation) -- similar to Helena Bonham Carter's Red Queen in Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland".

Posted by beautywickedlover 2013-01-31 20:52:32

"She may not be beautiful, but she can pull off glamorous. It's always fun to see photos of her attending award shows because she always looks amazing."

Exactly and in 2006 she played a glamorous fashion icon in 'The Devil Wears Prada'.

Posted by E.Davis 2013-01-31 20:58:22

This is a role she has really played, so I will be happy to embrace her.

Posted by Gothampc 2013-01-31 20:59:00

"Streep has embraced her age with grace."

I'm not talking about her age. Her nose has always made her face weird.

Posted by GavestonPS 2013-01-31 21:12:58

She herself has always admitted hers is an eccentric beauty, but I have never had a problem believing her to be beautiful, on stage or on screen.

Posted by best12bars 2013-01-31 21:17:26

Not my first choice, but she'll be great.

Posted by ReggieonBway 2013-01-31 21:28:58

I just pray that Anna Kendrick ends up playing Cinderella.

Posted by GavestonPS 2013-01-31 21:32:54

Not my first choice, but she'll be great.

I don't think you understand how this thread works, best12.

It's either champagne or daggers, but you have to choose!

(Just kidding. You are a gentlemen as always.)

Posted by BWay Fan 2013-01-31 22:02:45

Nope Kendrick isn't playing her

Posted by ReggieonBway 2013-01-31 22:05:36

How do you know, pray tell? She did the reading.

Posted by E.Davis 2013-01-31 22:11:31

Does Anna Kendrick have the range?

Posted by Mister Matt 2013-01-31 22:19:00

Not my first choice, either, but she'll still be wonderful. And I'd much prefer Streep to CZJ for this particular role. The role of the Witch doesn't require conventional beauty. She just has to go from hag to glam, which is a snap for Streep. It's all about the Witch's attitude and the designers' styling, not the inherent appearance of the actress.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2013-01-31 22:22:01

There's also no corroboration to this story anywhere on the internet. The only place this is confirmed is in the original article by music arranger guy.

Posted by FindingNamo 2013-01-31 22:25:34

The Gummer girl for the one with the long hair in the tower!!!

Posted by kieranbec 2013-01-31 22:27:33

BWay Fan: you can't taunt us by saying you know and then not tell us. Out with it.

Posted by fingerlakessinger 2013-01-31 22:27:38

This is gonna be fantastic!
And I'm sorry...Streep is "not" beautiful?
LOL. That's funny.

Posted by silent 2013-01-31 22:29:38

I hope this isn't true. Good grief, can someone else in Hollywood get a role besides Streep? She and Anne Hathaway need to stay away from musicals! Or any other "major" star who can barely sing.

Posted by Jungle Red 2013-01-31 22:35:17

Did anyone read my post about her work history? Sheesh!

Posted by Jungle Red 2013-01-31 22:37:25

"Gummer girl"

You mean Meryl's daughter?

Posted by Patti LuPone FANatic 2013-01-31 22:38:16

I sincerely hope Alison Janney's part in the film is soley a speaking part. I'm still in therapy to recover from the shock of hearing A.J. in the 9 To 5 Broadway recording. from RC in Austin, Texas

Posted by Brave Sir Robin2 2013-01-31 22:59:37

Was it 100% confirmed that Sarah Hyland will play Little Red? I heard her sing "Say The Word" at the Kerrigan-Lowwdermilk concert in L.A. and I thought she sounded great!

Posted by larrystyles 2013-01-31 23:41:47

yawn..... more white people

Posted by ThatBitc 2013-02-01 00:50:03

Oh how i cannot wait to read this thread come the films debut!
Other then that. This is a great score and the naysayers are thinking about the feeling that you get from a trained or great singer. Not just throw *BIG NAME AS WITCH* in the role.

I don't care how many times Streep has sung. She doesnt make albums.

The film is already sold!

Posted by ComingUpRoses2 2013-02-01 00:58:04

I have no doubt that Streep will be able to sing the score. If not in the original keys, then in the Vanessa Williams keys (which, sometimes, I like even better. Gives it a darker feel.)

She's not the most ideal choice in the world, but it really is about how they style her. I can see her pulling off the glam as she did in Devil Wears Prada, She-Devil, and Death Becomes Her.

Truly, I'm more concerned with the casting of the Baker and his wife. Those two are the heart of the show and a bad choice can throw the whole show out of whack.

Posted by CockeyedOptimist2 2013-02-01 01:13:36

"Truly, I'm more concerned with the casting of the Baker and his wife. Those two are the heart of the show and a bad choice can throw the whole show out of whack."

I'm with you, ComingUpRoses. Keep Dennis O'Hare far away from this project. And Hugh Jackman for that matter.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-01 01:19:24

"yawn..... more white people"

You do know that's actually a blatantly racist statement, right?

Posted by devonian.t 2013-02-01 02:09:16

my avatar- London witch

Posted by Jungle Red 2013-02-01 02:43:58

The Baker needs to be someone not so attractive. He needs to be adorable and cute but not hot. Hugh Jackman is sexy. It ain't a workin'!

"white people"

Because Black people don't act?

Posted by best12bars 2013-02-01 06:27:01

I'll bet Rob Marshall wasn't exactly excited at the prospect of Catherine Zeta Jones as the Witch. She wanted the part of Claudia expanded in "Nine" and ultimately quit the project because he wouldn't agree to it.

I'll bet he pictured a similar scenario with Into the Woods, and didn't even want to go there. That "loyalty card" got used up during preproduction of his last film musical.

As far as "black people," I think it would be interesting (and I see no reason why not) to cast Jack and his mother as African Americans. I could see Octavia Spencer as Jack's Mother, definitely.

Posted by SueleenGay 2013-02-01 07:27:39

"If she could handle ABBA music in 'Mamma Mia' and she took opera lessons when she was younger, then I am sure that she be great. "

But she COULDN'T handle the ABBA music...even with auto tune. Many people take opera lessons when they are young, doesn't mean they were any good, just that they had an interest and the money.

Posted by best12bars 2013-02-01 07:47:44

Meryl can sing Stay With Me and Last Midnight and Children Will Listen.

Operatic training? This isn't the Ring Cycle or the Queen of the Night's aria.

She'll be fine. And she'll not only bring movie audiences in to see her play the Witch, she'll attract other acting talent who "just have to be in a Meryl Streep movie before they die."

I would look for other A-list actors clamoring to be in this movie now.

Posted by themysteriousgrowl 2013-02-01 07:55:48

This is pretty thrilling news. I hope it's true.

Posted by best12bars 2013-02-01 08:18:01

I'm more interested in seeing her "hag up" and do the Witch's Rap at the beginning. I'll bet she bites into it like nobody has before.

Posted by HoldThatThought 2013-02-01 10:16:04

I think Streep will be fine - you know she'll work it. If you didn't mind her in Mama Mia or Alice at the Palace, then you can't be disappointed. Right?

Posted by doodlenyc 2013-02-01 10:20:00

I think this is great news!! I think she'll be terrific, as usual. I have no problem with Streep getting any job that she does, because she's always great. I wasnt thrilled with Mamma Mia, but it wasnt her fault as much as the direction, which was terrible. I'm still sad she didnt get to play Mrs. Lovett.

She can definitely sing this role. I have no idea why anyone would prefer CZJ.

I do agree that the casting of the baker and his wife are critical. I'd love to see Ewan McGregor and Toni Colette.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-01 10:23:07

I still say it should have been Michelle Pfeiffer.

Posted by Michael Bennett 2013-02-01 10:38:23

I would love to have seen Michelle Pfeiffer as the Witch; I so wish she would get a really prime role at this point in her career - why don't we see more of her?

But as for the semantics of the casting for the film, I know Streep was the first choice and no one else was seriously considered. That is no slam to Zeta and some of the other actors mentioned in this thread (I don't believe there is any bad blood between she and Rob Marshall over her withdrawal from NINE) but Streep is simply the "Hugh Jackman" this project needed to be greenlit. There isn't any other female movie star with the prestige and box office power to compare (Zeta's recent box office has been especially lack luster) and to produce a 100 million dollar musical in this day and age, that is simply what's required to get the financing.

I have heard some rumblings about the other casting and its interesting and makes sense. There have been several very "A" list actors who have been offered roles (or have pursued them) and I think it could end up being rather exciting.

I think Streep by the way, will be wonderful.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-01 10:51:25

"I would love to have seen Michelle Pfeiffer as the Witch; I so wish she would get a really prime role at this point in her career - why don't we see more of her?"

Pfeiffer is on record saying how hard it is for her to get work. It's really sad since I think she's one of the most underappreciated actresses we have.

Posted by Wynbish 2013-02-01 10:54:05

And she played a great witch in Stardust

Posted by PurpleFanta 2013-02-01 11:16:05

I suffered through Hope Springs for Meryl Streep, so I'll happily see her in one of my favorite musicals.

I would be very onboard with Kendrick as Cinderella. I remember when Downton Abbey's Michelle Dockery had an audition tape that was leaked awhile back, and I was really surprised with how strong of a singer she was. I would definitely be happy to see her in a big movie musical.

Posted by Jungle Red 2013-02-01 11:27:42

I love Michelle too but she's already played a terrific witch. I don't know if shed want to play another one. Same with Susan Sarandon.

Posted by broadwaybabytn 2013-02-01 12:27:43

I want Josh Radnor or Stephen Colbert as the Baker. Someone like that.

Posted by madbrian 2013-02-01 13:10:05

I'd love to see Nicole Parker cast as the Baker's Wife.

Posted by beautywickedlover 2013-02-01 13:11:55

Playbill reported that Meryl MAY indeed be playing the Witch, but they did say:

"Playbill.com contacted Tony-winning Into the Woods composer-lyricist Stephen Sondheim, who stated that he had not been informed of any confirmed casting for the film at this time."

http://playbill.com/news/article/174630-Meryl-Streep-May-Star-in-Rob-Marshall-Film-Adaptation-of-Into-the-Woods

The Atlantic Wire and Cinema Blend have also made reports about's Meryl's casting as well.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Meryl-Streep-Head-Woods-With-Rob-Marshall-35460.html

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2013/02/meryl-streep-into-the-woods/61698/

Posted by OperaBwayLover 2013-02-01 13:50:07

Add Amanda Seyfried to the list of people who should stay away from this film.

Posted by EgermanArmfelt 2013-02-01 14:04:01

This screams "Last Midnight" Too bad it was 20 years ago....

Posted by artscallion 2013-02-01 14:12:50

It's a movie, not live theatre. They can make it look like 20, 30 or 40 years ago.

Posted by EgermanArmfelt 2013-02-01 14:21:16

Huzzah! Cause she's hot.

Posted by Michael Bennett 2013-02-01 14:42:04

Well "confirmed" is also matter of semantics- being "confirmed" means having signed a contract-and in Hollywood contracts are often not signed until a week before filming.

Posted by broadwaybabywannabe2 2013-02-01 14:42:50

oh i am sooooo happy to hear that this wonderful musical is finally being made into the next big movie musical...

THE SONDHEIMMANIAC IS BACK!

Posted by CockeyedOptimist2 2013-02-01 14:43:15

Ah, Ewan McGregor as the Baker! Great suggestion!

Posted by beautywickedlover 2013-02-01 14:58:35

I know that Laura Osnes only read the screenplay, but she was cast as Rapunzel I would be very excited to see and hear Streep sing "Our Little World" with her.

Posted by bobs3 2013-02-01 15:16:22

madbrian wrote: "I'd love to see Nicole Parker cast as the Baker's Wife."

Hypothetical conversation in executive suite on Disney lot:

Rob Marshall: Nicole Parker as The Baker's Wife. Whaddaya think?
Robert Iger (CEO of Disney): Rob, are you f**king kidding me? (into intercom) Lily, get Reese's agent on the phone and check her availability!

Posted by ComingUpRoses2 2013-02-01 17:57:44

Actually, Reese Witherspoon might make a darn good Baker's Wife. She was quite a good character actress before she sold out after the Legally Blonde movies.

Posted by kieranbec 2013-02-01 18:02:49

Parker would be excellent.

Posted by Jungle Red 2013-02-01 18:07:49

Maybe Mary Louse Parker!

Posted by E.Davis 2013-02-01 18:07:56

I agree with the whole Michelle situation. Lamia was such a good character and Stardust is such an underrated film.

De Niro is so campy in it.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-02-01 18:13:39

Does anyone know which studio is producing this film?

Posted by E.Davis 2013-02-01 18:16:00

I really wanna say it is Disney.

Posted by EgermanArmfelt 2013-02-01 18:17:23

I thought I was alone in thinking of Mary Louise Parker as the Witch or Bakers Wife. But then I remembed that "No One is Alone"

Posted by Jungle Red 2013-02-01 18:35:56

From the article, it says Disney, but I bet it comes out under Buena Vista and not Disney. They better not change the story. If Act 2 is changed in any way, I'm going to be pissed.

Mary Louise Parker would be FANTASTIC. I love her.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2013-02-01 18:48:57

They can make it look like 20, 30 or 40 years ago.

Maybe they'll do like Mamma Mia and have all those eras happening at the same time!

Posted by beautywickedlover 2013-02-01 18:55:56

"Actually, Reese Witherspoon might make a darn good Baker's Wife. She was quite a good character actress before she sold out after the Legally Blonde movies."

'Walk the Line' was her finest work and I think she could play the Baker's Wife. However, she has not had a major live-action box-office hit since 'Four Christmases'. She just has not been able to choose the right films.

Posted by bobs3 2013-02-01 20:05:21

"Does anyone know which studio is producing this film?"

It is being co-financed by Disney and Warner Bros. Disney will handle domestic distribution and Warner Bros. will handle international distribution. Unless something changes in the interim it will be shot at Warner Bros. Studios in (or near) London.

Posted by WiCkEDrOcKS 2013-02-01 20:11:36

The second I get excited about this, I'm reminded that Rob Marshall is directing and my expectations sort of plummet.

Posted by Wynbish 2013-02-01 20:12:35

How about Kristen Bell for Cinderella?

Posted by Joviedamian 2013-02-01 20:40:07

Well, at least it wasn't Russell Crowe!

Posted by ray-andallthatjazz86 2013-02-01 20:55:00

I'd be so disappointed if Anna Kendrick in fact is not doing this. I got my hopes up, unfortunately and now I don't want to consider anyone else. Bell would be great but I worry that her film career is pretty much dead after so many failures (and HOUSE OF LIES is an awful show).

Posted by Roscoe 2013-02-01 21:51:28

"The second I get excited about this, I'm reminded that Rob Marshall is directing and my expectations sort of plummet."

Tell me about it. Did they learn nothing after NINE?

Posted by adamgreer 2013-02-01 22:42:00

My fear is that Marshall will set the film in a library and the characters will leap out of their books at night while the library is closed to tell the story.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2013-02-01 22:53:22

Slow clap for you, adamgreer!

Posted by bobs3 2013-02-01 23:02:46

adamgreer, if you got a problem with a new vision for INTO THE WOODS, go to Amazon.com and continue living in the past!

Into the Woods (1991)
Bernadette Peters (Actor), Joanna Gleason (Actor), James Lapine (Director) | Rated: Unrated | Format: DVD
4.7 out of 5 stars See all reviews (324 customer reviews) | Like (326)
List Price: $24.98
Price: $12.96 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details
You Save: $12.02 (48%)

In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.
Want it Tuesday, Feb. 5?
Order within 68 hrs 26 mins, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout.
Details
50 new from $8.06 17 used from $7.00 1 collectible from $24.98
Watch Instantly with Rent Buy

Posted by Wynbish 2013-02-01 23:24:33

There's a difference between having an aversion for a "new version" and a "Shit version"

Posted by beautywickedlover 2013-02-01 23:27:21

Most people on here say that they are getting tired of Streep. I'll admit that my mother and I were getting tired of her in the mid 2000's. I didn't see 'The Devil Wears Prada' when it was originally released in theaters because I thought it was a chick flick. However, after watching both Streep in 'Doubt' and 'Mamma Mia' in 2008 my mother and I really started to appreciate her work again. I really enjoyed her the following year in 'Julie & Julia' as well as the voice of Mrs. Fox in 'Fantastic Mr. Fox'. I then finally rented 'The Devil Wears Prada' just to see her performance it of course was fantastic. I also really did think she deserved to win the Oscar for Best Actress for 'The Iron Lady' because she really did carry the film on her for the most part. I'm excited to see her play the Witch.

Posted by WiCkEDrOcKS 2013-02-01 23:40:54

Well I guess the good thing is that there really is virtually no way in hell this could be worse than NINE. I don't walk out of movies in theaters but as soon as Fergie crawled out of a cave in NINE, I was up and out of there, waiting at the customer service desk for my refund. What a disaster.

Marshall did so, so splendidly with CHICAGO. And I do think INTO THE WOODS and CHICAGO are A) better shows and B) more ripe for being filmed than NINE, which I admire but have never really loved. So hopefully he finds his juju again with WOODS. But I'm skeptical. Very skeptical.

Streep should be the least of the dissenters' worries. I'm sure she'll pull it off; she always does. Marshall, on the other hand...

Posted by ComingUpRoses2 2013-02-02 00:52:09

Nine's main issue was the lousy script and a few odd casting choices. With Lapine writing the screenplay for the film, I feel it might be a little more director proof. It's really going to be his concept.

Posted by chris d 2013-02-02 09:39:58

I'm excited about Streep playing the Witch, and I hope they get someone with a good voice to play Jack cuz "Giants in the Sky" is my favorite song from the show. :)

Posted by ray-andallthatjazz86 2013-02-02 12:57:28

There were many issues with NINE, yes the screenplay was awful but Marshall and company made a slew of terrible decisions: they cast a lead actor who seemed like he had never even attempted to sing in the shower or watched a musical before, they cast huge names in roles that were not small enough to be cameos but not big enough to merit the casting (it just created a really unequal balance that the movie never recovered from), and they tried to fit the CHICAGO concept into a completely different musical that didn't need a concept to begin with, but then on top of that, they changed the fact that Guido was working on a movie musical like he is in the stage show so it made absolutely no sense that he'd imagine his life as a musical number when he's not even working on one.
All that said, most directors have huge bombs that are a mess all around. That doesn't make them any less talented. I think INTO THE WOODS is a great fit for Marshall and Streep will finally get to work with Sondheim. I'm excited.

Posted by ComingUpRoses2 2013-02-02 14:43:22

Yes. That's true. I could understand why Guido was having such a hard time making a film when all of her daydreams appeared on the same damn set. I mean, come on, dude. Have some imagination. It didn't help that Daniel Day Lewis had absolutely no charm as Guido. That's what really killed it. It just made the whole film so downbeat. I couldn't understand what these beautiful, sexy women saw in someone so humorless and dull.

Posted by uncageg 2013-02-02 21:04:53

GAVESTON, in respomse to your responding to my comment at the beginning of the thread....... I don't care what range she has, I don't care to see her in the role of she does get it.