Printer Friendly - Taboo revival?

Taboo revival?
Posted by Gmerchant123 2013-01-27 02:09:06

I know that Rosie REALLY wants to bring this back...but tbh I'm not a fan just curious about it.(it was actually one of the worst shows I've seen next to Dance Of The Vampires)

Taboo revival?
Posted by vegas2 2013-01-27 02:22:51

There's a revival in London right now, and I really enjoyed it. Check the West End board for more comments.

Taboo revival?
Posted by Vespertine1228 2013-01-27 13:07:14

I saw the production in Brixton that's playing now as well. No matter which version you see, it remains a terrific 2-hour musical with a bunch of terrible junk piled on top of it.

I don't think it warrants a revival at this point.

Taboo revival?
Posted by CapnHook 2013-01-27 13:08:31

But I would pay full price for a concert reunion at Joe's Pub.

Taboo revival?
Posted by little_sally 2013-01-27 13:10:17

I would too, CapnHook. Taboo is one of my favorite scores.

Taboo revival?
Posted by Jay Lerner-Z 2013-01-27 15:04:14

Does Ro really want to bring it back, or is the OP talking nonsense?

By the way, whatever happened to Rosie's plans to star in Babes In Arms?

Taboo revival?
Posted by Jane2 2013-01-27 15:32:20

Rosie is the reason it failed here. I loved it, and think it's not too soon for a revival. It didn't last long enough the first time to even count.

Taboo and DOTV are my favorites.

Taboo revival?
Posted by Lloyd321 2013-01-27 16:44:19

I like the Joe's Pub idea!

Taboo revival?
Posted by Scott Briefer 2013-01-27 16:55:50

I had the good fortune to see Taboo on 3 occasions. Each time, I saw the show with different friends. Everyone, including myself loved Taboo.

I am not quite sure why Rosie is credited as being the reason for such a short run. I was under the impression that role went to Michael Riedel.

Taboo revival?
Posted by little_sally 2013-01-27 16:58:35

Rosie wasn't exactly in the public's good graces during its run. (Wasn't it around the same time she was being sued over her magazine and got that infamous haircut?)

Taboo revival?
Posted by ucjrdude902 2013-01-27 16:58:50

I actually think a reworked and scaled back could work.

Taboo revival?
Posted by CATSNYrevival 2013-01-27 17:18:21

I liked the Broadway book that Charles Busch wrote. It was definitely more coherent and cohesive. I don't really understand why that version isn't being done in London. The show had a lot of problems on stage and off, but most of them were off.

Taboo revival?
Posted by Jane2 2013-01-27 17:55:37

I had a conversation with a friend of mine who was a principle in Taboo. They outlined to me what happened behind the scenes,
of course it's just one man's opinion, but the fault lay with Rosie as producer.

Taboo revival?
Posted by CapnHook 2013-01-27 17:57:48

Rosie was a reason why the show failed, but not because of BAD producing. In fact, she put in an amazing effort in cheerleading the show for the press. Her outrageousness is a turn-off to some (her gimmicks are along the line of Ken Davenport), but her passion and spirit was valued.

As the SHOW BUSINESS: THE ROAD TO BROADWAY documentary provided a glimpse into, Rosie was battling both a lawsuit and the press while trying to make TABOO succeed. There is no doubt that it negatively impacted the show, though even if all that mess wasn't going on, who knows if the show would have been received differently. The Boy George audience came. TABOO won over some of the theatre-going audience. It never did get the tourists, however.

It also had STRONG competition that season. It had to battle the hugely successful AVENUE Q, THE BOY FROM OZ, and WICKED.

Taboo revival?
Posted by Jane2 2013-01-27 18:02:41

Capn Hook are you aware of the changes and cuts she made? I remember some of the main complaints in the reviews and she was to blame for a lot of it.

Taboo revival?
Posted by CapnHook 2013-01-27 18:07:49

I'm not, actually. Any links?

I remember that there was some creative friction between Boy George and Charles Busch, and Rosie sided with Boy George. I also remember that Rosie was at one point going to step into the show (no clue what role she would play).

Taboo revival?
Posted by Jane2 2013-01-27 18:16:13

oy. I think when she steps into a show, it comes to a sudden halt. Thanks god she didn't step into Taboo,

No , I have no links because this was a private conversation I had with one person.

I'm resigning myself to "it's over" as far as Taboo goes. I loved that original cast in NY so I want to remember it that way.

Taboo revival?
Posted by everythingtaboo 2013-01-27 18:17:08

Loved Taboo, the original and Broadway versions, faults and all. (And by faults, I mean the books.)

The timing of the show, along with the Riefel assault, didn't help matters, in terms of sales. It definitely put the show in a harsher light when she already had her own public image headaches to deal with.

That said, I'd love to see Taboo in an off-Broadway house, like New World Stages. Or maybe even the Daryl Roth Theatre, and bring back some of the atmosphere of a club. I think some of the biggest problems was Broadway itself -- a lot of questionable decisions have to be made to help keep viable a ten million dollar baby, when it could've/should've been done on a smaller scale.

Taboo revival?
Posted by JohnyBroadway 2013-01-27 18:21:15

Weren't there crazy stories about Rosie's behavior, during the productions rehearsals? The Show business doc showed some great light on the show.

Taboo revival?
Posted by Jane2 2013-01-27 18:26:47

If Rose wants to support theater, I think she's more suited to be an investor in shows rather than producer.

Taboo revival?
Posted by everythingtaboo 2013-01-27 23:58:58

^^^ At this point in her career, I'd agree. But can someone like her do that without drawing attention to it? And in drawing attention, she'd want to make sure anything with her name is of her standard. It's an unfortunate cycle.

Taboo revival?
Posted by Gothampc 2013-01-28 00:13:08

The show died because Rosie was the producer. It's a hard sell to a Broadway audience and when it started faltering, Rosie didn't offer any pricing discounts. She thought the show would sell on her name and Boy George's name, but it didn't.

Taboo revival?
Posted by luvtheEmcee 2013-01-28 11:10:12

The show was messy, but I thought it was beautiful, and always wished I'd had a chance to see it again. It's one of my favorite scores -- and one of the best of its decade, IMO. I'd love to see another stab at it; my dream for this show is actually an immersive, almost site-specific take on it. (And I still want - now even more than I did then - to see Raul play Philip.)

I clearly remember buying my (8th row orchestra) seat for like $50 with a discount code; I'm not sure how I could have done that if she didn't offer any pricing discounts, but okay.

Taboo revival?
Posted by WickedOne2 2013-01-28 14:51:02

While I loved Taboo, I am hesitant about a revival. It needs to be done right. Euan Morton and Raul Esparza were phenomenal. I still get chills when I listen to Petrified.

Taboo revival?
Posted by vegas2 2013-01-28 15:16:05

Luv,

The Brixton revival is both immersive and site-specific. That's what drew me to the show. And I think it works really well.

Taboo revival?
Posted by Owen22 2013-01-28 17:28:46

I do remember a couple years after it had closed, Sondheim was asked in an interview which new shows/writers he liked. He said the only newish show that had interested him was TABOO.