Printer Friendly - Anyone Ever Actually Have a Vodka Stinger?

Anyone Ever Actually Have a Vodka Stinger?
Posted by GlindatheGood22 2013-01-26 14:05:02

I tried one on Christmas Eve. I love minty things - my new favorite drink.

Posted by Jay Lerner-Z 2013-01-26 14:09:02

Yes. They are not pleasant.

Posted by best12bars 2013-01-26 14:09:46

I tried one for the first time during these past holidays, too. Vodka and peppermint schnapps. I thought it was okay. I enjoy them separately, but together it was more like Wriggly's chewing gum mixed with lighter fluid.

Posted by Jay Lerner-Z 2013-01-26 14:10:37

Yeah, mine tasted like Listerine.

Posted by GlindatheGood22 2013-01-26 14:11:30

The one I had was vodka and white creme de menthe. Everyone I was with hated theirs.

Posted by best12bars 2013-01-26 14:14:49

I know you can also make them with creme de menthe instead of peppermint schnapps. I was hoping that might be better than the one I had, but I see here that it's probably not.

Posted by lupone76 2013-01-26 14:30:02

And what does this topic have to do with theater?? Shouldn't this thread be in the off topic section??

Posted by OKBroadwayFan 2013-01-26 14:34:35

"...another vodka stinger" from Ladies Who lunch---Company

Posted by PalJoey 2013-01-26 14:38:32

I had one the before going to see Company at the Philharmonic, the first one I'd had in years and years.

It tasted just like I remembered: like toothpaste with vodka.

I still don't know why Sondheim has Joann drink them...

Posted by CapnHook 2013-01-26 14:38:33

lupone76, say that to Elaine Stritch.

Posted by Reginald Tresilian 2013-01-26 14:41:46

But does Joanne actually drink them, or just the other ladies who lunch?

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2013-01-26 14:43:37

She does. She orders one in the scene leading up to the song.

Posted by backwoodsbarbie 2013-01-26 14:45:46

I occasionally have one for Mahler.

Posted by artscallion 2013-01-26 14:46:08

When I was younger, my drink of choice was a Seven Stinger...Seagram's Seven and white creme de menthe. I loved them. But I think the Seagrams mellowed the Listerine taste more than vodka would.

Posted by lupone76 2013-01-26 14:59:10

Oops... Sorry all. My fault, I totally forgot the Company reference. I feel really stupid now.

Posted by best12bars 2013-01-26 15:05:22

I think the only reason Joann drank them was so she could rhyme her cocktail with zinger.

Posted by Reginald Tresilian 2013-01-26 17:33:21

She could have had a lady finger: gin and cherry brandy.

Might be a toss-up as to which sounds nastier, though.

Posted by Reginald Tresilian 2013-01-26 18:11:58

Although having "another lady finger" when you're singing about actual ladies might mentally lead the audience down an unexpected path.

Posted by givesmevoice 2013-01-26 18:15:22

I thought you meant a lady finger as in the sponge cake, and was wondering if then she'd be ranting because she was on a sugar high.

Posted by Addison D. 2013-01-26 18:52:54

Stinger--phonetically and in terms of imagery-- is hard and bitter. I don't think it's a random word choice at all.

Posted by ghostlight2 2013-01-26 18:55:51

Does anyone think that Sondheim has ever made a random word choice?

Posted by henrikegerman 2013-01-26 20:34:33

Joanne never says she drinks them. Ever. But she's not just singing about herself. She's singing about the girls who just watch.

As a group.
And with respect to the vodka zinger not to each member of that group; others, as she notes, drink Scotch. At least when they get depressed.

I don't think she's talking about women who would - retch! - mix Scotch with vodka stingers - while they are having their little jests and delivering their brilliant zingers.

She also sings about women who sit choosing hats.

Which she certainly would never do, or would not still do.

Posted by Kad 2013-01-26 20:55:21

Could it also mean vodka as a stinger- as in, an ending punctuation to something?

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2013-01-26 21:04:30

Depsite what Henrik says, Joanne does indeed order two more bourbons and vodka stinger before she sings the song.

Posted by Jungle Red 2013-01-26 21:26:07

I remember her ordering them for herself as well but I've only seen the Doyle version. I don't know what Elaine did.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2013-01-26 21:43:55

She ordered one, too.

Posted by MarkBearSF 2013-01-26 23:49:12

A few years ago, we had some friends over for the PBS airing of the Company revival and I headed down to the Castro beforehand to buy some creme de menthe. Evidently it's such an old fashioned liqueur that I had to try a liquor store, two grocery stores and a wine shop until I found a bottle in the second wine shop (and the last chance within a half-mile radius)

By the way, that bottle hasn't been touched since that evening.

Posted by Jungle Red 2013-01-27 00:14:44

Out of curiosity, which wine shop?

I live in San Francisco too.

Posted by After Eight 2013-01-27 01:26:24

"By the way, that bottle hasn't been touched since that evening."

If you can find a bottle of white creme de cacao, you can make a grasshopper cocktail. Much better than a vodka stinger. Or you can pour a little over vanilla ice cream.

Posted by henrikegerman 2013-01-27 09:57:44

"Depsite what Henrik says, Joanne does indeed order two more bourbons and vodka stinger before she sings the song."

Oh. Nevermind.

Posted by MarkBearSF 2013-01-27 15:30:09

I think it's called "Village Wines." It's on 19th St, West of Castro, next to Spike's Coffee & Teas.

Posted by Jungle Red 2013-01-27 15:47:25

Oh! I've never gone in there, but I used to go to Spike's all the time.

Posted by PalJoey 2013-01-27 15:52:59

Here is Joanne's speech preceding "Ladies Who Lunch." The italics are the original stage directions and the capital letters are the original emphasis:

===

LARRY: (Laughing) Joanne, I love you when you're jealous. Kiss me.

JOANNE: I hated dinner. I hated the opera, and I hate it here. What I need is more to drink--and look at Bobby, how desperately he needs another drink. (The waiters enter again. The female patrons are seen seated at various tables) Here they come again. SIR! DRINKS HERE--TWO MORE BOURBONS AND A VODKA STINGER! Do you know that we are suddenly at an age where we find ourselves too young for the old people and too old for the young ones? We're nowhere. I think we better drink to us--the generation gap. WE ARE THE GENERATION GAP! (The other women in the club turn and stare at her) Are they staring at me? Let 'em stare--let 'em, those broads. What else have they got to do--all dressed up and with no place to go.

LARRY: What time is it?

JOANNE: In real life? Will somebody get us another drink? (At this point each of the four waiters delivers a round of drinks to the table) Oh, you did. So aggressive. (To the other women) STOP STARING! (There is a blackout on the nightclub, leaving her alone in a spotlight; she turns to the audience) I'd like to propose a toast. (She sings.)

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2013-01-27 15:56:39

But she never says that vodka stinger is for her! Maybe it's for Larry!

Posted by PalJoey 2013-01-27 16:02:56

I think it's lazy writing on Furth's part, retro-fitting the mention of the Vodka Stinger in Sondheim's lyric into the script, without considering for a second that in Sondheim's lyric, Joanne is not singing about herself but the Girls Who Just Watch, who have another Vodka Stinger after coming up with another reason not to move and another brilliant zinger.

By putting it into the dialogue, he turns Joanne into someone who drinks Vodka Stingers.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2013-01-27 16:05:49

I guess I always took that verse about the girls who just watch to be about Joanne, though.

Posted by Yawper 2013-01-27 16:13:15

Creme de menthe isn't old fashioned but it might be more of a cold weather area item. It's used in a lot of hot drinks.

Posted by Addison D. 2013-01-27 16:24:19

Doesn't Joanne see herself as one of the Ladies?

Posted by Jungle Red 2013-01-27 16:43:56

I don't think so. The speech, along with the song, makes me think that the women who have lunch, and wear hats, are older than she, and she doesn't consider herself to be old.

What do you serve vodka stingers in anyway? Martini glasses? Maybe I've watched CAMP too many times, but I always think of Joanne drinking out of a martini glass.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2013-01-27 16:48:37

In the Lincoln Center production, Patti drinks hers out of a martini class.

Posted by PalJoey 2013-01-27 16:49:00

Posted by Wynbish 2013-01-27 16:52:19

I thought of Camp too, when Anna indicated her glass when singing, "another vodka stinger".

Posted by Addison D. 2013-01-27 17:09:37

Huh. I always read her saying "I think we better drink to us" and then moving directly into 'the Ladies Who Lunch' as implicitly putting "us" in with "the Ladies"...

Posted by Princeton78 2013-01-27 17:11:45

I can tolerate one every once in a while, but you've REALLY got to be O.K. with a minty taste.

Posted by PalJoey 2013-01-27 17:27:32

I don't think the connection is that literal. Who would be the other usses? Larry and Bobby? The women in the club who are staring at her?

If anything, "us" refers to all those in the generation gap she mentions.

I think it's meant more figuratively than literally.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2013-01-27 17:35:05

Yeah, I'm with PJ on the "us" being Bobby and Joanne, the Generation Gap. But I'm still confused about whether or not the consensus is that Joanne sees herself as one of the ladies.

Posted by Kad 2013-01-27 17:36:17

Yeah, cream de menthe isn't at all hard to find in NYC. It's no creme de violette.

Posted by After Eight 2013-01-27 19:07:14

^

Actually, cream de menthe might be hard to find in NYC. Creme de menthe is probably easier.

As for creme de violette: Yum. Yum squared, even.

As for Joanne, what does it matter if she drinks vodka stingers or not? She knows how to down 'em, whatever's in her glass.

Posted by GlindatheGood22 2013-01-27 19:45:37

I've always thought Joanne to be an alcoholic, but watching the Philarmonic DVD I caught Bobby's line, "I don't know what to make of the fact that you only drink with me."

So what does that imply?

Posted by artscallion 2013-01-27 20:58:35

Any stinger I've ever had has been served in a rocks glass... But maybe they serve them differently to ladies.

Posted by Gothampc 2013-01-27 20:59:49

"Evidently it's such an old fashioned liqueur that I had to try a liquor store, two grocery stores and a wine shop until I found a bottle"

Interesting. Remember in Tales of the City, when Dee Dee comes to speak to Mary Ann, Mary Ann offers her creme de menthe and Dee Dee asks if it's white?

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2013-01-27 21:02:09

Glinda, maybe because of Elaine Stritch's attachment to the role?

Also, I think that line was part of one of Furth's later additions to the script, like Larry's "I wish you could meet Joanne sometime."

Posted by chewy5000 2013-01-27 22:01:08

I always assumed that she started the song toasting all the other women, but by the end realises that she is one of them too. Which could explain her behaviour.

Posted by MarkBearSF 2013-01-27 22:37:25

EXACTLY. What starts as a gimlet-eyed (to mix drink metaphors) view of the "other" ladies who lunch, in the final verse, she turns her criticism back upon herself.

Posted by SonofRobbieJ 2013-01-27 23:36:43

If the verse about the girls who just watch isn't about Joanne, then the scream after the worlds 'vodka stinger' becomes very difficult to motivate and just plain self-indulgent...instead of self revealing.

Posted by PalJoey 2013-01-28 00:01:35

I agree with that she's one of the girls who just watch. I just can't see her drinking Vodka Stingers.

Posted by WOSQ 2013-01-28 13:46:34

Have I ever had a vodka stinger? Please, they were my drink of choice when Stritch was playing Company in 1970-71. I was quite young then. You can have them on the rocks or straight up and they come in a regular glass most of the time.

One vodka stinger and you have a nice buzz.
Two and you're real jovial.
Three, you're blotto.
Four (and I only did this once) and you're knocked up, irregardless of gender or age or proclivity. Seriously. You have to find Planned Parenthood.

Joanne drinks vodka stingers because it tells the audience she is bombed in the scene. This is a strong but still girly drink.