Printer Friendly - Breaking News: Oscars to Pay Tribute to CHICAGO, DREAMGIRLS & LES MISERABLES on Broadcast!

Breaking News: Oscars to Pay Tribute to CHICAGO, DREAMGIRLS & LES MISERABLES on Broadcast!
Posted by Rob 2013-01-25 09:05:49

Breaking News: Oscars to Pay Tribute to CHICAGO, DREAMGIRLS & LES MISERABLES on Broadcast!
Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-01-25 09:10:34

Cool! Wonder what they mean by "tribute"... will members of the films' casts perform songs from those films or other performers?

I bet the soundtracks of these movies will have some (probably not extreme) sales boosts, after the telecast.

Posted by furry_bean915 2013-01-25 09:12:34

Celebration of movie musicals...does Phantom of the Opera not count? Is it because it's a movie OPERA? Just wondering.

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-01-25 09:15:45

I was wondering about the selection, as well. Chicago and Les Mis were Best Picture noms/winners, and Dreamgirls was a high contender for awards, and won some. Phantom probably should get some kind of recognition, whether audiences/critics liked the film or not.

Posted by ucjrdude902 2013-01-25 09:33:13

I've heard rumors of who's performing from a friend who is working on the show. Much like everything they've got big wishes.

Posted by everythingtaboo 2013-01-25 09:51:25

That's a bit bizarre. Craig Zadan and Neil Meron produced CHICAGO, and they have a connection through producing Smash to DREAMGIRLS' Jennifer Hudson. And of course they have to do LES MIS. But otherwise, seems a bit of self-flagellation.

Posted by little_sally 2013-01-25 09:53:44

I really don't see why tribute has to be paid to these three in particular. Of all the movie musicals? (Although, everythingtaboo, that makes a lot of sense.)

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2013-01-25 09:57:25

I think that does have something to do with it, but these were also the films with the "Oscar love," I guess. Zadan/Meron produced Hairspray and that isn't being showcased...

Posted by followspot 2013-01-25 10:00:23

From all indications, the link between those three will be a Best Supporting Actress winner.

Posted by everythingtaboo 2013-01-25 10:02:18

Oscar love makes sense, though you'd think they'd love any opportunity to trot out John Travolta in his revolting Edna drag.

Posted by ucjrdude902 2013-01-25 10:10:39

From what I was told the original game plan (when the idea for a tribute first came up) was to have Renee and Catherine do the finale from Chicago, when they "shoot out" the backdrop that will transition into "It's All Over" from Dreamgirls and if time permits a shortened version of "And I Am Telling You" from there transition into the undecided Les Mis number.

But that was all dependent on who would commit, would they do full costumes, rehearsal time, TV time, etc.

Posted by finebydesign 2013-01-25 10:21:22

Beyonce is on a junket, I would not be surprised if she was part of this.

Posted by Wynbish 2013-01-25 10:25:01

Weird coincidence that Chicago and Dreamgirls received Best Supporting Actress wins, something Les Miserables is projected to do.

Posted by FindingNamo 2013-01-25 10:46:52

Their Best Actor nominee starred in Nine. Not having him do a number is an OUTRAGE and an absolute slap in the face to Rob Marshall.

Posted by Marlothom 2013-01-25 10:48:12

I'd argue that for Chicago and Dreamgirls, the Best Supporting Actress award went to Leading Actresses in the wrong category, But that's a discussion for another day. I hope we get to hear Renee Z, and not Queen Latifah. I

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-01-25 10:53:34

"Not having him do a number is an OUTRAGE and an absolute slap in the face to Rob Marshall."

I can't think of a better tribute to movie musicals than to slap him in the face.

Posted by finebydesign 2013-01-25 10:58:54

I doubt very much Jhud would have beaten Helen Mirren's Queen. Same with CZJ against Kidman in the Hours.

That "supporting actor" category seems like an easier win if you have a standout part. If Anne Hathaway had the Eponine role, I would bet anything that would be the nominee.

Posted by Roscoe 2013-01-25 11:01:43

"I can't think of a better tribute to movie musicals than to slap him in the face."

There's always vivisection.

Posted by Marianne2 2013-01-25 11:05:59

I hope this doesn't turn into the mess that was in 2009 with Hugh Jackman, Beyonce, Amanda Seyfried, Vanessa Hudgens, Zac Efron, and I forget the 3rd guy. That was seriously not good.

Posted by finebydesign 2013-01-25 11:12:28

Marianne2 that's what makes the Oscars the Oscars. It has to be bad.

Posted by bobs3 2013-01-25 11:16:18

"Marianne2 that's what makes the Oscars the Oscars. It has to be bad."

So true, does anyone remember the Debbie Allen years when she used to do all the choreography -- those numbers were so bad they were laughably BAD (especially the costume design montages).

Posted by Roscoe 2013-01-25 11:18:37

I'll never forget Savion Glover trying to tap dance to the score from SAVING PRIVATE RYAN.

Posted by ACL2006 2013-01-25 13:36:01

why just these three?? Maybe include something from Hairspray as well?? Include a classic movie musical - West Side Story, Sound of Music or Grease maybe?? Considering the most of the Les Mis cast should be in attendance, maybe we'll hear "One Day More" from them. Have Hudson come out and sing "And I Am Telling You" & have Zeta-Jones do "All That Jazz".

Posted by madbrian 2013-01-25 15:21:27

Hathaway, CZJ, and Hudson should sing We're Your Dreamgirls.

Posted by Jay Lerner-Z 2013-01-25 15:24:17

Renee Zellweger didn't take part in the 2003 ceremony performance, so I can't see her doing it now. Why would she?

Posted by ucjrdude902 2013-01-25 15:29:47

Easy way to put her back in the public eye.

Posted by Jay Lerner-Z 2013-01-25 15:32:23

Why didn't she take part back then, anyway? Singing live probably isn't her forte.

Posted by bobs3 2013-01-25 15:58:05

Since Streep will be there to present the Best Actor Oscar, I wonder if she and Seyfried will do a number from MAMMA MIA and with a planned James Bond 50th Anniversary tribute in which all SIX Bonds are expected to attend, maybe Pierce Brosnan will join Streep and Seyfried for a number.

Speaking of Bond, Adele seems to be a shoo-in for SKYFALL. It's the best Bond theme song since Carly Simon's "Nobody Does it Better" from THE SPY WHO LOVED ME.

Posted by Brave Sir Robin2 2013-01-25 16:08:15

I'm surprised to see no inclusion of Mamma Mia or Hairspray.

If this were my doing, here would be my idea:
Dreamgirls - Beyonce, Jennifer Hudson, Anika Noni Rose
Dancing Queen - Meryl Streep, Amanda Seyfried, Christine Baranski, Colin Firth, Pierce Brosnan, Dominic Cooper
You Can't Stop The Beat - Nikki Blonsky, Zac Efron, John Travolta, Queen Latifah
All That Jazz - Catherine Zeta-Jones
Don't Stop Believing - Julianne Hough, Diego Boneta, Tom Cruise, Russell Brand, Mary J. Blige
One Day More - Hugh Jackman, Amanda Seyfried, Eddie Redmayne, Helena Bonham Carter, Sacha Baron Cohen, Aaron Tveit, Samantha Barks, and Company

The easiest way to structure it would be one large medley with dancers that are in each number. No major set pieces, but each performer in their character's costumes.

Posted by best12bars 2013-01-25 16:10:04

Just please tell me there will be a fog machine.

I miss Oscar numbers of yesteryear when musical stars got swallowed up by fog machines during their power ballads.

Posted by SonofRobbieJ 2013-01-25 16:20:42

I still fondly recall the semi-naked 'Indians' doing Debbie Allen leaps to honor DANCES WITH WOLVES.

Posted by Visceral_Fella 2013-01-25 16:41:01

Maybe Queen Latifah will perform. It doesn't get better than that.

Posted by best12bars 2013-01-25 16:58:14

Can we get some semi-naked Parisians dancing to One Day More?

Posted by best12bars 2013-01-25 17:00:31

Maybe they can do "Good Morning, Baltimore/One Day More/One Night Only" as a medley mash of all the hours in a day with Rob Lowe and Snow White.

Posted by CapnHook 2013-01-25 19:52:51

One of my favorite Oscar performances was BEAUTY & THE BEAST. They staged full-out production numbers, complete with costumes, sets, an ensemble, and choreography...and this was BEFORE the property came to Broadway. The late Jerry Orbach did "Be Our Guest." I believe Susan Egan was there for "Belle." Can't remember if Angela Lansbury showed up for "Beauty and the Beast."

And if there is to be a tribute to movie musicals, there must also be a tribute to Marvin Hamlisch. With Barbra Streisand performing. And hell, if Babs shows up, why not include FUNNY GIRL in the movie musical tribute? Babs performing TWICE on the telecast? Yes, please.

Posted by thejcm 2013-01-25 20:42:59

CapN: Angela introduced the performance but Jerry and Paige O'Hara actually performed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj6dky_5eQg

I don't remember it when it originally aired (because I was 5...but I discovered it a couple of years ago and remember being impressed that the actual voice actors did the singing).

Posted by CapnHook 2013-01-25 21:05:59

Thanks for the link. I found the other video and Lansbury DID perform the title song, with Celine Dion taking over halfway thru:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JNsn3zlkvo&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Posted by ucjrdude902 2013-01-25 21:17:55

I find it interesting some of you are guessing they'll do performances of shows…they didn't saying they were tributing.

Posted by ucjrdude902 2013-01-25 21:32:40

Those clips are magical by the way. The crowd was loving it.

Posted by ACL2006 2013-01-25 22:51:10

loved those clips. many thanks for posting them!

Posted by sueb1863 2013-01-26 06:37:05

I remember watching the B&tB Oscar performance, that was great! It was cool to see Richard White doing his lines as Gaston. Later on he played Gaylord Ravenal in the Paper Mill Playhouse version of Show Boat with Eddie Bracken, that was on PBS.

Posted by Dave19 2013-01-26 09:10:28

So there will be 2 separate music sections at the oscars?

Adele is performing too, so I guess they will do a nominated songs section with Skyfall and Suddenly, etc.

And then a musical medley/tribute including other Les Mis songs?

I don't believe they will do Skyfall as a solo and then cram "Suddenly" somewhere between "And I am telling you" and "All that Jazz" in a medley.

Posted by Wildcard 2013-01-26 13:15:28

With Zadan and Meron at the helm, these Oscars are supposed to be musical number after musical number.

Posted by CapnHook 2013-01-26 14:12:40

Yes, it will be a music-heavy evening.

If there is a Hamlisch tribute, I expect that this clip will begin the montage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRlhvzfpIS8

Posted by EvanK 2013-01-26 15:14:48

Super excited for this!

Love the B&B oscar tribute.. minus the ATROCIOUS COSTUMES! What the hell is Paige O'Hara wearing?!

Posted by Wildcard 2013-01-26 18:17:54

My favorite Oscar performance was the Aladdin one with Lea and Brad Kane. The sets and production values awed me as a kid.

Posted by Kad 2013-01-26 19:53:56

And then there's the absurd performance of "Friend Like Me" from Aladdin, performed by Nell Carter.

...the Oscars did a big "Musicals are back!!" tribute four years ago, with Jackman and Beyonce and a host of others. So is this, "Musicals are still back!" or something?

Posted by everythingtaboo 2013-01-26 20:58:03

Not based on a stage production, but what about MOULIN ROUGE? It was nominated for several Oscars, including Best Picture, and won a few. But I guess that was 11 years ago, conveniently enough for the producers.

Posted by ucjrdude902 2013-01-26 21:00:37

They are only paying tribute to three they told you.

Posted by Wildcard 2013-01-30 11:14:36

It's been confirmed that Streisand is performing. So I'm guessing it will be the Hamlisch tribute.

Posted by everythingtaboo 2013-01-30 16:50:56

God I miss those crazy production numbers. They really broke up the self-important nonsense and repetitive montages we're stuck with now.

And whatever happened to Brad Kane? I vividly remember that Oscar number thinking "he looks nothing like Aladdin", then his chest chair leaving my suddenly re-thinking some things.

Posted by OperaBwayLover 2013-01-31 20:47:54

Huh. With all these performances, I may have to watch the Oscars this year.

Posted by ucjrdude902 2013-02-03 12:18:19

Well at the "Side Effects" premiere CZJ basically said without saying that she'l be part of the Chicago tribute.

Posted by ray-andallthatjazz86 2013-02-03 13:36:56

That would be amazing! I hope it's true.

Posted by artscallion 2013-02-24 10:19:44

The pic at this story about the Oscars' rehearsal makes it look like CZJ will be singing.

Posted by theatergeek3 2013-02-24 10:24:58

I'm excited for this! I wonder what they will do to pay tribute to the films? Like clips from them or something?

Posted by Emma White 2013-02-24 10:50:41

Super excited about CZJ. Remember how pregnant she was when she sang at the 2003 oscars? They actually had an ambulance waiting outside the entire night in case she went into labour, I kid you not.
Samantha Barks is supposedly singing which is exciting!

Posted by ucjrdude902 2013-02-24 11:05:30

I'm ready to see Barks blow it out of the water. I think if she's told "do what you do" and not "try to not outshine everyone else". She'll be incredible.

Posted by Emma White 2013-02-24 12:29:11

"I'm ready to see Barks blow it out of the water. I think if she's told "do what you do" and not "try to not outshine everyone else". She'll be incredible."

Agreed, 100%.

Posted by WendiReichstein 2013-02-25 23:14:54

How did you end up liking the tribute? I LOVED seeing musical theatre get some love at the Oscars! Almost felt like I was watching the Tony's for a little bit :) The Les Miz performance absolutely blew me away…that ensemble is just spectacular and it was great seeing all of them up there together (especially Mr. Aaron Tveit…). I blogged about the Oscars' musical theatre moments, check it out! It highlights Barbra, Jennifer Hudson, Catherina Zeta-Jones, Les Miz, and Kristen Chenoweth! Last night was definitely a Broadway fan's dream.

http://stagedoordish.com/the-great-wendi-way-episode-4-broadway-takes-on-the-academy-awards/

-Wendi

Posted by boggess 2013-02-25 23:24:08

Is it necessary to promote your blog on every thread that somewhat relates?