Printer Friendly - Casting actors in roles of the opposite sex

Casting actors in roles of the opposite sex
Posted by backwoodsbarbie 2013-01-23 16:01:22

I'd love to see Sherie Rene Scott as Emcee in Cabaret...imagine the facial expressions!

Posted by Mister Matt 2013-01-23 16:10:53

I'd love to play The Baker's Wife in Into the Woods.

Posted by TheGingerBreadMan 2013-01-23 16:27:05

I've always wanted to play Elphaba.

Posted by henrikegerman 2013-01-23 17:55:46

And I shall marry the miller's son!

Posted by Visceral_Fella 2013-01-23 18:25:00

I will play the Witch in Into the Woods one day.

Posted by ComingUpRoses2 2013-01-23 18:59:05

And I always wanted to be Madame Rose in Gypsy, Mrs. Lovett in Sweeney Todd, and the Witch from Into the Woods...and Sally and Phyllis in Follies, Desiree in A Little Night Music...

I don't know if it's true, but there's a rumor that they were considering a male witch for the 2002 revival of Into the Woods. I could actually see that one working the easiest in terms of switching genders. Wouldn't change the story that much at all.

I don't think a Mr. Lovett would really change the story that much either if it was done that way.

Posted by christhefish 2013-01-23 19:04:18

I really think a version of Company where Joanne and Larry are a gay couple could be astonishing.

Posted by Visceral_Fella 2013-01-23 19:04:33

A guy would be great I think. Imagine a RuPaul esque transformation. That would be everything!

Posted by ComingUpRoses2 2013-01-23 19:42:48

Didn't they do an all gay male version of Company a few years ago at some college or something? I remember heard that Sondheim actually signed off on it, too. I would have to have seen it. It sounds like a neat idea.

Posted by AEA AGMA SM 2013-01-23 20:21:15

No, Sondheim did not sign off on the all-male at NYU a few years back. He and his lawyers sent a cease and desist letter.

Posted by EgermanArmfelt 2013-01-23 21:06:24

If only Anne Egerman had a certain body part.... Oh well. Bernadette Peters as Bobby in Company

Posted by ComingUpRoses2 2013-01-23 21:06:49

I thought he signed off on it. Hmm...oh well.

Posted by little_sally 2013-01-23 21:08:21

I've always wanted to see a female Judas in JCS.

Posted by Jon 2013-01-23 22:47:23

Billy Porter was strongly considered for The Witch in the ITW revival around ten years ago.

The current Pippin has a female Leading Player, and there have been many female Emcees in Cabaret.

I've seen men in drag play Mother Burnside in Mame, Miss lynch in Grease, and of course there are the shows written to have men play women, like Hairspray and Ruthless.

There was a production of Into the Woods in Philadelphia years ago which was done in the style of a British "panto" - with Jack played by a girl, and Jack's Mother and Cindererella's sepmother played by men.

Many productions of Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella have cast men as the two stepsisters.

Posted by henrikegerman 2013-01-23 23:21:26

Yes but the leading player in Pippin is one of those roles that exists outside time, place and gender, no?

Posted by ghostlight2 2013-01-23 23:24:55

Ally Sheedy played Hedwig.

Posted by wicked1492 2013-01-24 00:20:52

I've seen a man in drag play Mark's Mom in RENT. Really added like 7 layers to the already complex character.

Posted by michellek45 2013-01-24 01:53:42

So far people are talking about making clear changes to both libretto and music to fit someone playing the opposite gender. I wonder if anyone has seen a contralto or countertenor playing a male or female role (respectively) without the music being transposed, with the audience supposed to be believing that the character is a boy, not a boy being played by a girl, done so that if you didn't look at the name in the program you wouldn't realize the actor was of the opposite sex. Do you think this could work?

Posted by BroomstickBoy 2013-01-24 02:20:01

I will play Sally Bowles one day. I think a man can play her without changing a thing in the script. Except I'd be cutting Cliff's solo and adding "Maybe This Time".

Posted by ComingUpRoses2 2013-01-24 11:30:34

Sally would be another good one. There could always be a Sal Bowles.

Posted by JoeKv99 2013-01-24 11:56:44

Would Sal still get an abortion?

Posted by Wynbish 2013-01-24 12:06:35

I wonder if anyone has seen a contralto or countertenor playing a male or female role (respectively) without the music being transposed

Posted by ComingUpRoses2 2013-01-24 12:35:02

Probably no abortion for Sal. LOL! They'd have to work that out.

Posted by michellek45 2013-01-24 12:58:59

Cool! Thanks for the link, Wynbish.

Posted by BroomstickBoy 2013-01-24 15:13:12

I'd play it as a man playing a woman. Sally isn't supposed to be a good singer, and she was said to have a low, husky voice, so the singing wouldn't be an issue, and nothing would have to change in the script, so no unintentional hilarity would ensue.

Posted by Mister Matt 2013-01-24 15:19:04

Billy Porter was strongly considered for The Witch in the ITW revival around ten years ago.

Having seen him in Kinky Boots, it's a blessing that didn't happen.

Posted by JoeKv99 2013-01-24 15:25:54

OK seriously DO YOU understand that Sally being pregnant and having an abortion are two serious, pivotal moments in the show? And don't you think trying to make Sally a man in drag might not undercut the power of the Emcee donning drag for the goosestep number?

Posted by Mister Matt 2013-01-24 16:11:33

But putting a man in drag is so EDGY! It makes every show so much deeper and darker and modern and hip and unique and innovative and EDGY! Even the edges have edges! It's edgier than dice in a game of Dungeons and Dragons!

It's like when you add "The Musical" to dramatic or horror movie title to turn it into a satirical comedy. That automatically makes it HILARIOUS! And EDGY!

Posted by Dave19 2013-01-24 16:47:56

I would love to see a man playing Ursula in the Little Mermaid.

There are many roles where gender doesn't matter. Teen Angel in Grease is one of them. Even Jennifer Holliday played that.

I also think there are a lot of productions, such as Peter Pan, where a woman plays the role of a boy.

Posted by JoeKv99 2013-01-24 16:50:02

Divine was the inspiration for Ursula so I could see that.

Posted by nasty_khakis 2013-01-24 16:54:04

I want to say at some point they offered the role to Harvey Fierstein to replace on broadawy. Could be wrong though.

I know a man in drag played Ursula at the Muny last year. Just can't remember who.

Posted by christhefish 2013-01-24 16:54:26

Paul Vogt played Ursula and the Muny two summer ago...

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/152514-PHOTO-CALL-The-Little-Mermaid-With-Patti-Murin-Paul-Vogt-and-Francis-Jue-at-the-Muny

Posted by BroomstickBoy 2013-01-24 19:17:33

Um, I'm edgy. I eat raw cookie dough.

PS - I would've liked to have seen Brian Charles Rooney play the witch. He makes a pretty lady and no transposition necessary.

Posted by suestorm 2013-01-25 09:03:37

i dont know, reminds me too much of Tyler Perry

Posted by ghostlight2 2013-01-25 09:41:14

"Divine was the inspiration for Ursula so I could see that."

Is that true, Joe, or are you joshing? I mean, I can see it (I mean that literally), but it just seems so unlikely.

Posted by AEA AGMA SM 2013-01-25 11:49:28

It is true, ghostlight. Disney animators are great at finding inspiration for their characters, especially physical traits, from real-life sources. I have also heard that Joan Collins was also credited as having a hand in the inspiration, and if you watch the two close enough together you'll also find a good amount of inspiration drawn from Madame Medusa in The Rescuers. (It's also not uncommon for the animators to borrow from themselves and other animators. Look at Little John in Robin Hood, after all, he was just Baloo recolored brown.)

Posted by darquegk 2013-01-25 12:07:15

Robin Hood was constructed almost completely from recycled animations.

Nathan Lane as Mama Rose would be great, I think, no irony intended.

Posted by JoeKv99 2013-01-25 16:46:23

Would I lie to you?

Posted by ComingUpRoses2 2013-01-25 17:01:51

I could see Nathan Lane rocking Madame Rose, too. Actually, he did a rather smashing "Worst Pies in London" for an Angela Lansbury tribute, too.

Posted by ghostlight2 2013-01-25 17:31:49

"Disney animators are great at finding inspiration for their characters, especially physical traits, from real-life sources."

I knew that, but you get my confusion concerning the dichotomy of the innocence of Disney, and the...Diviness of Divine, yes?

"Would I lie to you?"

Well...

...but seriously folks - I did not know that. Thank you.

Posted by taylor_kras 2013-01-26 15:30:50

I think Eponine should be played by a male. It makes sense why Marius never realizes the affection from his best friend and also why ValJean calls him "boy".