Printer Friendly - JEKYLL & HYDE Moves from Rodgers to Marquis; Dates Set

JEKYLL & HYDE Moves from Rodgers to Marquis; Dates Set
Posted by Rob 2013-01-22 09:15:11

Posted by TheGingerBreadMan 2013-01-22 10:07:13

Wow. The troll a few weeks back was right.

Posted by lupone76 2013-01-22 10:25:48

Truly looking forward to this. Loved the original and saw it numerous times. The truth is though that the original barely filled the then Plymouth which is a much smaller house than the Marquis. I even thought the Rodgers was too large for this. My pick would have been the Atkinson. Well, it's a limited run and I wish them the best of luck. Hopefully the devoted Jekkies which kept the original going and Deborah Cox and Constantine fans will fill the seats. I for one am a fan of the show and Ms. Cox. Constantine and his hammy schtick I could do without.

Posted by bjh2114 2013-01-22 12:01:05

Do we think this means Cat on a Hot Tin Roof might extend in an effort to try and score Scarlett another Tony nomination?

Posted by Cupid Boy2 2013-01-22 13:09:05

I believe I read in another thread that an extension would not be possible due to Scarlett's commitment to the second Avengers film, which will begin filming immediately following the closing of Cat On A Hot Tin Roof.

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-22 13:10:41

Why such a short run? Are they continuing to tour the production after?

Posted by RippedMan 2013-01-22 13:10:42

This seems like a bad move. The Rodgers at least has some character and adds to the creepy feeling of the show. The Marquis is just like a touring house.

Posted by BeadleDeedle 2013-01-22 13:23:10

Agreed. The coloring and minimalist design of the Marquis will probably highlight the IMO unattractive and uninteresting Jekyll and Hyde set.

And I'm kinda confused still. Is this going to just be the tour production planted into the Marquis, or are they changing design elements and/or casting?

Posted by philly03 2013-01-22 13:36:10

Its the tour production - contracts through August, if its a hit it will extend. No casting changes. Very few changes have been made from the original few weeks (after seeing it in Philly last), but there's still time to do some more tweaking (and can be expected for the Broadway run).

Its also always misrepresented that the show didn't "sell" in its original run - the attendance was fine, even very good in the middle years after Linda/Christiane/Bob left, but it was often discounted with Pimpernel or Civil War together, if I remember correctly. The theatre being small didn't help the (expensive) operating costs - it wasn't a very smart choice of a theatre.

Posted by NOB88 2013-01-22 14:29:05

The tour has been doing very well on attendance - usually full house. They have been playing venues that seat 3,000+

A few of the actors in the show (not the leads) did a M & G a few weeks back and they said the production would start doing some tweaking in LA and during previews.

Posted by qolbinau 2013-01-22 14:47:26

Still.This is Broadway, this is Frank Wildhorn, this is the Marquis. With a 0% success rate, I hope he can finally make it this time...

Posted by massofmen 2013-01-22 14:48:43

i remember the last time a wildhorn show was in the marquis...

Posted by bwayphreak234 2013-01-22 15:57:19

I think this will fit well into the Marquis. The Marquis is similar to the barns the show played on the road. When I saw it in San Diego, the production fit very well into a large modern theatre.

Posted by philly03 2013-01-22 16:29:09

I agree this is a good fit for the Marquis.

It needs a good tweaking for some numbers that I thought would've changed by the time it reached Philly, particularly the finale (directed like the most overdramatic soap opera) and "Bring on the Men." Can't believe the ridiculous "Facade" reprise following "Murder" still existed, and was surprised they didn't add more humor to the murders as seen in the past productions.

But on a positive the tour has been selling terrifically, as said above. Surely a mixture of the title/legacy and the new stars.

Posted by PlayItAgain 2013-01-22 16:44:44

i.e Scarlett filming Avengers 2, she's not filming Avengers 2 she's going into pre-production on Captain America: The Winter Solider

Posted by bjh2114 2013-01-22 17:47:16

That's not how you use "i.e."...

Posted by musikman 2013-01-23 09:18:58

Yes, the tour will be starting back up after the Broadway run, though which cast members stick with the show remains to be seen.

Like any tour that isn't Wicked/Lion King/Les Miz that sells out no matter where it goes, this tour has been having some really good weeks, and some really "eh" weeks. Not sure how that will bode for Broadway.

Posted by ACL2006 2013-01-25 16:59:25

if it is indeed selling very well on the road, a three month Broadway run at the Marquis may not be long enough. I see this getting extended until Labor Day(to start at least).

Posted by philly03 2013-01-25 17:16:08

Leads have contracts through August 24 .

Posted by Jersey Girl2 2013-01-25 23:38:34

>>>Leads have contracts through August 24

Where did you read this?

Posted by RippedMan 2013-01-26 02:35:15

I don't doubt it will run for a little while. I mean, I think he's a great choice for Dr. Jekyll. I'm worried about the direction. He's not a good director. And second, what made the original's weekly running cost so high? It didn't seem like it was such a big set or anything.

Posted by philly03 2013-01-26 13:05:20

The lab set and Jekyll's parlor were large pieces, which entered and exited by hydraulics. Cast of 26 (then celebrity casting)... Current cast is still 23, however.

Take in mind that the theatre (Plymouth-then, Schoenfield) is not all that large to begin with and they were skating by quite frequently from sales and operating costs.

I think Calhoun has done a decent job, but I wouldn't really pin this as a "revisal." There are some obvious "why would he do that"s in there.

Posted by RippedMan 2013-01-26 13:08:58

I just don't see him handling "gritty" material very well. Bonnie and Clyde was such a whitewash of what it could have been.

Posted by g.d.e.l.g.i. 2013-01-27 00:35:46

Their desire was to create a leaner, meaner version of the show with this tour. Problem is they changed some things that didn't need to be fixed; for example, they cut a whole subplot that didn't even take up that much space by the time the show reached Broadway the first time. Nonetheless, I await the result.

Posted by DEClarke 2013-01-27 02:26:25

Yes, the tour will be starting back up after the Broadway run, though which cast members stick with the show remains to be seen.

I've seen no mention of carrying the tour on post-Broadway. The whole point of the tour was to have a 25 week out of town tryout in different markets. The tour extended. I think to 30 weeks.

I think they hope to have the show in NYC as long as possible. They may have announced a closing date for NYC, but I think they hope to extend it if the market is there.

Posted by bwayphreak234 2013-01-27 02:29:26

I don't see the tour starting back up...

Posted by Jersey Girl2 2013-01-29 19:25:25

JEKYLL & HYDE: Sizzle Reel
://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=K5G4SbCA8kI#!

Posted by rorschach37 2013-02-13 09:57:28

Have there been any changes made to the show as the tour continues? I remember reading that when it started in San Diego "No One Knows Who I Am" and "Girls of the Night" were included in the score, but when I saw it in DC those songs were absent. I'm hoping they do make a few changes for the better before it reaches Broadway.

Posted by bwayphreak234 2013-02-13 10:02:08

^ I saw the show in San Diego and neither of those two songs were in the show.

Posted by rorschach37 2013-02-13 10:07:35

Oh....I must've been misinformed. Thank you!

Posted by philly03 2013-02-13 15:21:37

Calhoun is in LA (with Frank Wildhorn) to tweek some more; Calhoun hasn't been with the tour since Philadelphia week after Christmas.

Posted by rorschach37 2013-02-13 15:43:37

That's good to hear. I enjoyed the show when I saw it at the Kennedy Center, but I was a little underwhelmed. Hopefully the shows flaws will be perfected by the time it reaches the Great White Way.

Posted by lupone76 2013-02-13 15:55:46

Can't believe you just said Great White Way!!! How corny!!!!

Posted by rorschach37 2013-02-13 16:04:10

???

Posted by TheresaG 2013-02-13 16:07:12

I also was a bit underwhelmed when I saw this show at the Kennedy Center. But then when I saw it a few months later in Providence; I was wowed by it. There were changes made that helped. I been a bit disappointed with Deborah Cox in DC. Singing wise, she was fine, but the acting needed some work. In Providence her acting was clearly enhanced. Constantine tightened up some of the Hyde action which was also good to see especially during Dangerous Game. From what I read, the process of changing and enhancing is continuous while they are on the road.

This show should do really well at the Marquis.

Posted by Pauly3 2013-02-13 22:49:31

I saw the show early on in La Mirada and San Diego - and now the first night in LA. Not a lot that is obvious has changed, but wow the performances were REALLY good. Constantine had some mic issues and had his voice briefly give out during the softer/slower part of "Take Me as I Am", but he was nothing short of pretty damn incredible thereafter. I thought his acting was improved, and he seemed more comfortable as both Jekyll and Hyde - and the differences between the two were not insignificant. Pick on "This Is The Moment" all you want, but Constantine sang the hell outa that one. As a complete performance, he has made a believer of me....he is talented and a great fit for this show.

Deborah Cox was out of this world good! And I don't mean just a little bit. I already had a very high level of appreciation for what she has done in this show, but she was scary good last night. Her acting was perfect - I wouldn't know how to suggest improving on it. Sounds like I'm gushing a bit too much. I'm not. I hadn't planned on seeing the show more than once while in LA, but I gotta go back just to see her again.

The entire cast was great, and I strongly suggest they give Teal Wicks more to do! She is a fantastic Emma. I sat up in the mezzanine, which I usually do not care for, but found the visuals and sound to be excellent (minus the mic issues). I have never been a true Jekkie, but I very much like this revisal.

As for differences from early in the tour, I thought the pacing of most of "Bring On The Men" was too swift early in the tour but now think much has been slowed down sufficiently. I think maybe the ensemble is more involved now too, but I'm not sure of that either. I definitely went from not being much of a fan of this song to now liking it much more. The first lines sung before merging into the confrontation, back at Jekyll's home, were started in Lucy's room. I don't remember that being the case initially, but I liked it here. The smoothness of the show seemed, well more smooth.

My lone criticism is with a few transitions when going from spoken lyrics to song. It seems obvious to me to have a little patience between the two. As an example, I would have Lucy not start singing "Sympathy, Tenderness" until after Dr. Jekyll starts treating her (or actually touches her). That would be two or three seconds! I don't remember this being objectionable previously, so maybe the conductor jumped the gun a bit?? Maybe more glaring is in "Someone Like You". Have Lucy wander and wonder for three seconds and then start the song. Perhaps it's just me, but I think a few seconds here and there would be worthwhile.

I'm not usually a critic....I must be getting into this show too much!

Posted by ACL2006 2013-02-13 22:55:11

I wonder how soon they'll announce an extension through August 25?

Posted by VernonGersch 2013-02-14 14:14:21

review in LA TIMES this morning is less than stellar.

How did they get here? Nobody is suppose to be here...

Posted by NOB88 2013-02-14 21:06:22

That guy ^^^ needs some geritol.

This reviewer and I saw the same show.

Posted by Jersey Girl2 2013-02-15 16:17:36

I agree NOB. I like this line- "Constantine Maroulis as Henry Jekyll and Edward Hyde was simply brilliant"

We all look at things from a different perspective.
One article praises Mr Maroulis' voice the other says he "seems to be having some trouble managing his voice"
The tour attendance has been great. I guess the critics can say what they want, if it sells tickets -it's a success!

Posted by Wildcard 2013-02-15 16:59:46

Saw the show last night and thought it was decent. It's not necessarily my favorite score but it works. The female leads gave the best performances. Deborah Cox was vocally divine as Lucy. I can't help but compare her to Linda Eder whose voice was magnificent. I felt that Deborah's version was earthier (and in a way, more appropriate to the character). The sets, for what they were, were pretty good of a show this size.

The biggest flaw in the show for me was Constantine as Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde. I saw him as Drew in Rock of Ages and enjoyed his performance there. However, in this show, his rock-sensibility took me out of the setting of the show. Comments of people around me (and with whom I agree with) was that he was very screechy. Yes, he gave a good performance but it was more apt for a rock concert than this particular musical. Same goes with his American Idol-style riffs. They really ruin his big songs. Likewise, there wasn't much of a distinction between his Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I wanted to see more of a dichotomy. He looked and sounded so grungy as Dr. Jekyll that he might as well have already been Mr. Hyde. I overheard a person a few seats away from me say that he couldn't connect with the character and couldn't care less if Dr. Jekyll had just died midway through Act 1. Likewise, a friend I went with said, mimicking the character, "Oh, let me put on my glasses and that way you'll know I'm supposed to be the good guy. I'm like Clark Kent that way."

Posted by PirateSmile 2013-02-15 17:24:29

Hmmm... I've seen the show on tour three times, and in none of them was Constantine's voice ever screechy. His lyrical tenor Dr. Jekyll was wonderful, and so light and brilliant when necessary, very ethereal. His Hyde was growly-low and on the edge of scary. In the shows I saw (DPAC), no one would have thought those voices were the same. For one show I was sitting in a group of season-ticket-holders, a family who were there just because those were "their" seats, not because they knew anything about the production, and a couple of them were whispering "Is it the same guy?" "I think so, but he looks and sounds so different!"...

About the two songs, "Nobody Knows..." and "Girls of the Night", those are on the new concept album this touring cast recorded before going out on tour, but are not in the show. Conversely, "Murder" and "Façade" are not on the recording, but are glue that connects the main characters' scenes in this stage production. I liked both of those running bits.
I have never seen any of the previous stage productions, nor even any of the movies, so my opinion is of this "revisal" only. And I really think it is amazingly interesting and wonderful. The two leads are like superheroes, making story out of nothing at all (love the minimalist utilitarian sets too, but I'm a techie...).

Just re-read Wildcard's post above, and I don't get how anyone couldn't really feel the emotion that Dr. Jekyll projects as he spirals downward in health, both physical and mental.
As he is on his last sane brain cell in the lab near the end, he gives the line about having pity for Hyde, for his great love of life, a line that is from the original novella, and it unravels me every time.

This is such an interesting and awesome production, taking a 100% tragedy story and making it into an actual musical, I have great respect for that even being attempted.

Posted by DAME 2013-02-15 17:26:00

The show is a bore. Sorry.. but it is nothing but junk.

Posted by PirateSmile 2013-02-15 17:31:15

Have you seen this version? I thought there was never a dull moment...
Perhaps never having seen any of the other renditions, I base my opinion on the novella alone, and this, with its added love stories and human interests, makes the CSI approach of the book come alive.

Posted by theaternut 2013-02-15 17:36:20

I was there Wednesday night.

Posted by DAME 2013-02-15 17:37:13

I went to the opening at the Pantages here in Los Angeles.

Posted by Wildcard 2013-02-15 17:41:34

Perhaps that's my problem with it… I saw the original staging and felt that this revival didn't really improve upon the original production. The actors, while good in their own right, paled in comparison to the originals.

Posted by RippedMan 2013-02-15 18:18:26

Is the Marquee up in NYC yeT?

Posted by NOB88 2013-02-15 19:14:56

For me, Maroulis is definitely not the flaw in the show - he is the best part of the show. Also loved Deborah Cox - am now a big fan of her. Teal Wicks was also very good but she did not give me chills when she sang like Maroulis and Cox both did.

Here is another glowing review published in the Huffington Post:

Posted by Wildcard 2013-02-15 19:33:19

I was also disappointed by how they handled "Confrontation." That should have been an acting showcase. Instead, it became a screamfest. Boo!

Posted by bwayphreak234 2013-02-15 20:35:42

As much as I absolutely ADORE this production, the confrontation scene was tacky.

Posted by Wildcard 2013-02-15 21:20:49

Fortunately, the confrontation scene would be easy to fix. The question is whether the actor is up to the challenge

Posted by Jersey Girl2 2013-02-15 22:04:22

I did not see the original, my SIL did. She has always loved the show. She thinks Confrontation is much better the way it is now. She thought the original was almost comical to watch.

Posted by LJ2 2013-02-15 23:10:12

I went to Youtube after reading this thread and seeing all of the thoughts on how the previous interpretation of Confrontation was staged. After viewing some of them, it's apparent it was one of those things where you had to be there to get it. Also, the YouTube videos are out of context so that may also have something to do with how I'm seeing them. I have to agree the staging in these videos do come across as comical.

Posted by emo_geek 2013-02-16 04:03:05

I just saw the production at the Pantages after seeing it at La Mirada months ago. It is in MUCH better shape. Finally worthy for Broadway.

Posted by emo_geek 2013-02-16 04:03:05

I just saw the production at the Pantages after seeing it at La Mirada months ago. It is in MUCH better shape. Finally worthy for Broadway.

Posted by TheaterBoy7777 2013-02-16 14:27:55

No marquee yet just passed the Marquis

Posted by DEClarke 2013-02-16 17:49:56

As much as I absolutely ADORE this production, the confrontation scene was tacky.

I concur. My review of it in Houston tackled that issue. And the slipping in and out of accent by Deborah Cox. Hopefully, she's fixed that by now.

Posted by TheatreDiva90016 2013-03-03 02:05:48

I just got back from seeing it.

I left at intermission.

Dreadful.

Have fun with it, New York!

Posted by TheresaG 2013-03-03 13:22:37

TheatreDiva, what was wrong with the show that caused you to leave at intermission?

Posted by TheatreDiva90016 2013-03-03 13:54:14

I know the script has never been perfect, but it's just so clunky.

The direction left a lot to be desired. It was hard to tell who was singing what is the ensemble scenes.

Deborah sounded hoarse and was having vocal problems. Her acting was dull as dish water. The little blonde playing her best friend was more interesting to watch.

Constantine has no idea how to act. His mike was so hot that I could hear every breath. His level was always higher than those around him, but yet I couldn't understand a word he sung. His singing technique of scooping up to notes made my head want to explode.

The orchestrations were terrible. Nothing sounded like it should have and most of the songs were totally unrecognizable to me, and I did a production of it last year.

Teal was the only thing I enjoyed. Her singing was beautiful, and it was obviously stronger that his. I think if everyone on stage had risen to her level, they would have had something.

The physical production was enjoyable. I liked the idea of the stacked books. The projections became distracting and the portraits were unneeded and strange. I was told how they did the confrontation and, had I stayed, I probably would have yelled at the stage.

The few murders in Act 1 were silly. His first victim looks like he was just pushed down and the flipped over and died. No terror. No suspense.

I'm glad it's giving some people work. That's about the nicest thing I can say about it.

Posted by NOB88 2013-03-03 14:30:38

I loved this production from A - Z. I thought it was stunning. I loved Teal in the show but, for me, she would come in 3rd after the two leads. It seems that people that hate this show still love Teal. That says A LOT to me. This show is not for everyone. I am so glad it is for me. Can't wait to see it again on Broadway.

Posted by TheatreDiva90016 2013-03-03 14:41:45

"It seems that people that hate this show still love Teal. "

Maybe that's because, of the three leads, she's the only me that has star quality on the stage.

Posted by lachlanw88 2013-03-03 14:46:53

I saw it last Wednesday night and thought it was Wonderful! I have seen many many shows mostly musicals and as a performer myself I think everything was great!! Constantine, Deborah and Teal are stunning, acting and sets are very good and the singing is great, only a couple of minor things I would fix but I would still give it a 10/10 and love the music, New York will like it I am sure :)

Posted by Brave Sir Robin2 2013-03-03 15:05:49

I predict Constantine and Teal will get Tony nominations, with Deborah likely. I saw it in La Mirada and thought the only major flaw was the Confrontation. It was a good idea, but it was done in such a cheesy way.

Posted by LJ2 2013-03-03 16:08:54

I saw the show twice. Enjoyed it the first time, loved it the second time.

Teal was beautiful and her voice was fantastic. Deborah was also beautiful and I loved her take on Lucy and her earthy voice. Constantine was awesome. His Jekyll was sincere and earnest in his quest to help his father. His Hyde was scary yet totally sexy. I can totally see a Tony nod for Constantine.

Posted by Jersey Girl2 2013-03-03 16:46:34

We all see things differently but to say Constantine can not act is a stretch. IMO Teal has an absolutely beautiful voice, she sings effortlessly. Although something was missing, She didn't make me care about the character.
I see a Tony nomination for Constantine.

Posted by TheresaG 2013-03-03 17:07:57

"The few murders in Act 1 were silly."

There is only one murder in Act 1 and that is the bishop. It's not just a flip over, its very intense. If you are referring to when Hyde knocks the person over and takes the cape, that wasn't a murder as I understand the script.

Constantine is fantastic in this show. His acting brings an interesting and complex level of characterization to Jekyll. His downward spiral as a sane man realizing how much Hyde is a part of him is a wonder to see unfold.

Posted by TheatreDiva90016 2013-03-03 17:27:55

No, he had a first victim. He entered from SR and crossed to SL as Hyde pushed him up into one of the unit pieces. He then fell back laying down on the steps up into the unit. Face up.

And the guy he took the cape and cane from wasn't killed. He just ran off stage. Another mistake, IMO. Why let a victim go?

Have you actually seen it, or are you just going by what it says in a script?

Posted by bwayphreak234 2013-03-03 17:37:58

And the guy he took the cape and cane from wasn't killed. He just ran off stage. Another mistake, IMO. Why let a victim go?

I noticed this too when I saw the show. I was hoping that was something they would have fixed by now.

I LOVED this show, but the Confrontation was a little much. This was the only time during the show that I felt the projections were tacky and cheap. Up until that point they worked very well with the simplistic design.

Posted by Jersey Girl2 2013-03-03 17:46:53

>>>Why let a victim go?
That person meant nothing to Hyde. It was the Board of Directors that he was after. Jekyll despised them for turning him down but couldn't act on it. As Hyde he got his revenge.

Posted by TheatreDiva90016 2013-03-03 17:50:01

If Hyde is nothing but evil, he should have killed the guy.

You say the guy meant nothing to him, so he should have died.

If not, then this become a revenge musical.

Posted by Jersey Girl2 2013-03-03 18:16:33

The experiment had just begun, that was the first time Hyde had emerged. Maybe the evil intensified each time he injected the chemicals?
Interesting observation.

Posted by TheatreDiva90016 2013-03-03 18:21:07

Well, they go on and on about the separation of good and evil (to the point of nausea), so, if Hyde is all evil, he should think nothing of killing anything that gets in his way.

I mean, he ends up killing Lucy....

Posted by TheresaG 2013-03-03 18:52:09

"Have you actually seen it, or are you just going by what it says in a script? "

I saw it twice and was under the impression that the only murder in the first act was the Bishop and it was for the reason Jersey Girl mentioned above: he was out for revenge on the Bd of Directors.

Remember that is the part of Jekyll that comes out through Hyde. His contempt for being turned down by the phonies who are on that Bd. of Directors get his anger but he cannot act on it as Jekyll. But as Hyde he can. His relationship with Lucy is also Jekyll acting out what he could not do in polite society through Hyde. But when he kills Lucy, the experiment is "out of control."

Posted by Jersey Girl2 2013-03-03 18:57:56

It is evil to assault and steal from someone.
SO if Hyde murdered that guy it would have made more sense for you? I try not to over analyze, usually once the lights go down I just sit back and enjoy the show.

Posted by Back Row 2013-03-04 10:38:23

It will be interesting to see how this show is received in New York. Wildhorn is quite a polarizing figure. People either love him or hate him. The same is true of Constantine. Criticism or praise for both tends to be consistently over the top, completely out of proportion with where their work should measure if judged objectively. And it also seems that Calhoun has become somewhat of a favorite target for some critics as well. In a situation like this, the actual quality of the production becomes almost secondary when it comes to speculating about critical or audience reception. Wildhorn and Maroulis devotees will prop it up at the box office regardless of what the critics think, and the critics will see it as another opportunity to reinforce previously held opinions about some of the principals involved in the production. The only shock would be if critics and audiences end up being on the same page.

Posted by TheresaG 2013-03-04 14:47:49

"The only shock would be if critics and audiences end up being on the same page."

Let's hope the critics delete the same tired reviews they have in their databases for Wildhorn and give a fresh look at this revival. Broadway is changing and this show is a good example of a change to a show that might have been beat up years ago by the critics. It is appealing to an audience that is willing to see a show with a bit of a rock edge to its music; but one that has a composition and score that still is good solid musical theater.

Back Row, it doesn't seem like you feel there is value in the work of Wildhorn, Maroulis, or perhaps even Calhoun. If they have that many "devotees" are they not the theater attending public? Who says what they like is so low ranking? Maybe its just different from yours.

Posted by Back Row 2013-03-04 15:35:45

It's not that I don't feel there is value in their work. It's just that the real value is hidden somewhere under layers of consistent criticism or over the top praise. I suppose that is true with the work of a lot of artists, but I was just pointing out that with this particular show, there will be people on both sides who will have difficulty divorcing themselves from preconceived notions about certain principals in the production, or from previous incarnations of the show, to the point where the quality of the production becomes less important to its ultimate success or failure than the preconceptions of its fans or critics.

Posted by TheresaG 2013-03-04 16:25:18

Thanks for clarification Back Row. We seemed to have been trying to say some of the same things just differently. It will be interesting to see how this plays out when the show hits NY.

Posted by TheaterBoy7777 2013-03-08 16:25:54

No marquee yet but saw this today..

Posted by elphaba.scares.me 2013-03-09 03:09:02

TheatreDiva, thank you...I was starting to feel like I'd lost my mind.

They've done some cool things with this production, but to call it a "revisal" is preposterous.

Teal was wonderful in a rile that she almost succeeded in making "not thankless."

Cox was an absolutely dreadful actor, although she is beautiful and has a nice voice. Could they not spring for a dialect coach?

Biggest surprise was Constantine. Trust me when I say that I've never been a fan, but I thought his characterization was interesting. Played It like an addict, instead of someone possessed by the devil. I can live without ever hearing most of these songs again, but he sang them well and I liked his acting choices.

That said, this is going to be killed...or worse, completely dismissed, in NY. Sad to see Wildhorn ruin all of his Bonnie & Clyde goodwill with a lame staging of this musical...billed as something that has been significantly rewritten (it has not.)

With a stronger Lucy, this might have worked. Then again, Lucy has never hinged on whether the person playing her was a strong actor. So maybe I'm wrong.

I really don't enjoy posting negative things about any show. But in this case, save your money, y'all.

Posted by philly03 2013-03-09 03:20:02

I actually think most people will like Deborah Cox. Her accent is entirely off, but who in this production is using a "good" accent or an accent fluid with the rest of the cast? No one.

(Linda Eder - NOT an actress by any major stretch was nominated for all the major awards in '97 apart from the Tony Award)

While I'm not expecting great reviews either, nor is this an actual "revisal" apart from orchestrations and underscoring (besides "Murder" rewrite, in fact this production is much like the second national touring cast), I think Constantine is a great Jekyll/Hyde, apart from when Jeff Calhoun allows him to "show off" to the audience, particularly "This is the Moment."

That being said, Calhoun will be seeing the show in Chicago to make some tweaks, and of course, the short preview period in New York.

Posted by TheaterBoy7777 2013-03-26 13:55:24

Snapped a few pictures with my Iphone.. a little blurry

Posted by ACL2006 2013-03-26 14:00:41

Those marquees look nice. The show is rumored to be selling very well, I have to wonder when they'll announce the extension into August.

Posted by DEClarke 2013-03-26 14:27:21

I actually think most people will like Deborah Cox. Her accent is entirely off, but who in this production is using a "good" accent or an accent fluid with the rest of the cast? No one.

I'm sad this hasn't been ironed out over the 25 week tour...

Posted by AntV 2013-03-26 22:35:57

You sure it's selling really well? Looking at some dates there are a lot of empty seats in that big theater.

Posted by ACL2006 2013-03-26 23:01:53

KEY WORD: rumored.

Posted by bwayphreak234 2013-03-27 01:11:01

The marquees look great!!! The Marquis may not have the best front of house marquee, but I love how shows that play there really go all out with promo material! I hope this sells well. I loved this show and thought that all three leads were great!

Posted by CATSNYrevival 2013-03-27 01:37:03

Personally, I don't think it will extend. If it even is selling well now, it's selling because of the title and the two leads. We know the critic's reviews won't be good, and since even fans of the show are split on this production, I can't imagine the word of mouth being much better than the print reviews. Last time the show survived because of the enthusiastic word of mouth from the fans.

Posted by bwayphreak234 2013-03-27 01:42:16

I just looked at some dates on Ticketmaster... It's not selling.

Posted by WithoutATrace 2013-03-27 10:32:08

Two weeks before previews began for EVITA, if you checked ticketmaster, you probably would have noticed that most seats had been sold for all preview performances - and a majority of those sold at full price.

Looking at ticket sales for the first week of previews for JEKYLL & HYDE, I have a feeling this will have to be comped out...and even that is going to be difficult. There are SO MANY empty seats.

I hope to be there on Friday, April 5, but I do not have high hopes for this production.

Posted by RippedMan 2013-03-27 11:19:36

True, but I feel like they just put up the marquee, etc. So maybe people didn't realize it was even playing, etc.

I don't mind the marquee but feel the font choice is very cheesy and tame. The one without their pictures looks so boring, and this shouldn't be a boring show. If they can't spend some money and creativity on the poster design, then I have no hope for the show.

Posted by TheatreDiva90016 2013-03-27 11:37:14

It's been touring across the country for months. People know its coming.

Posted by LizzieCurry 2013-03-27 11:51:32

I was in the Marquis this weekend and there's nothing inside to indicate J&H is even playing there. All the signage is outside.

Posted by WithoutATrace 2013-03-27 12:19:29

"I was in the Marquis this weekend and there's nothing inside to indicate J&H is even playing there. All the signage is outside."

...and previews begin in 9 days. This is very poor producing. Oh well. This will flop as hard as WONDERLAND did.

Posted by CATSNYrevival 2013-03-27 15:05:23

^Can a limited engagement really flop? Most limited engagements aren't even mathematically able to recoup their millions in such a short amount of time.

The production certainly looks cheap enough. I hope they've at least come close to recouping on the road.

Posted by DEClarke 2013-03-27 15:11:23

Did they do anything on that back walkway wall (like where the EVITA poster was repeated in various colors or where DROWSY had the gigantic poster)?

Posted by WithoutATrace 2013-03-27 15:18:15

THE BLONDE IN THE THUNDERBIRD started as a limited engagement of a few months. It closed after 9 performances. FLOP.

ELLING started off as a limited engagement of a few months and ended up playing only 9 regular performances. FLOP.

So, in my mind, yes, a limited engagement can flop!

Posted by LizzieCurry 2013-03-27 15:31:14

Did they do anything on that back walkway wall (like where the EVITA poster was repeated in various colors or where DROWSY had the gigantic poster)?

It's still a mirror, at least as of last night (I think that's when I last passed through the exterior).

Posted by DEClarke 2013-03-27 15:36:31

^-- Thanks! I guess they'll keep the mirror. With the staging of "Facade" they could put a clever little quote from that song on it and keep it a mirror too...

Posted by RippedMan 2013-03-27 16:04:07

People don't know it's coming to Broadway. Just because it's been touring doesn't mean anyone in NYC knows or care.

Posted by ArtMan 2013-03-27 18:49:39

Parlament House in Orlando is advertising Deborah Cox for, Friday, May 31, for Gay Days. I guess she will be missing at least Friday's performance and maybe Saturday matinee. You would think once you made it to a Broadway stage, that would be priority for her. Seems strange to do a booking like that, while your show is on Broadway.

Posted by TheatreDiva90016 2013-03-27 19:02:54

"People don't know it's coming to Broadway. Just because it's been touring doesn't mean anyone in NYC knows or care."

People who know theatre know its coming. Deborah And Constantine both have their own fan bases, and they know its coming.

And you seem to care, plenty. What makes you think no one else does?

Posted by DEClarke 2013-03-27 21:07:10

TheatreDiva, people who follow theatre know its coming. That could be said for any city in the US. Even though NYC is home to Broadway, I think assuming that multitudes of people know what is running or will soon be running on Broadway is erroneous.

I love the art of theatre, but it is NOT a hugely popular art amongst the multitudes and masses in or outside of NYC. Yes, it's popular here, but this is a niche website.

Theatre and the art of theatre has been replaced by film and television for the masses. Therefore, there probably is a lot of truth in the statement that people don't know it's coming. Considering the general person may be clueless that it is returning to NYC in a few short days.

Posted by TheatreDiva90016 2013-03-27 21:11:02

It's nice that you 'think'...

I never said 'multitudes of people', I said people who know theatre and are fans of the leads know that is coming.

Posted by DEClarke 2013-03-27 21:14:26

You can retract the claws. You and I agree, and that's okay. There is no denying that "people who know theatre and are fans of the leads know that is coming." However, RippedMan was clearly talking about people in general,as in the multitudes and masses.

Posted by TheatreDiva90016 2013-03-27 21:32:41

I'm glad you figured that out, but I don't need you explaining other people's posts to me.

kthanksbuhbye

Posted by RippedMan 2013-03-27 23:42:57

Yeah, you misunderstood or misinterpreted.

I meant the general masses coming for vacation. They go off of what is on TKTS. They don't know what's playing or what's "good." They rely on posters and advertisements. And they only just put up their marquee. Evita has been closed since January. Why wait so long?

Posted by WhizzerMarvin TrinaJasonMendel 2013-03-27 23:50:24

I know Jekyll & Hyde is coming, but I'm also constantly forgetting it's coming in. When I'm reminded it's one of those, "Oh yeah, that show is this season moments."

There isn't a lick of advertising anywhere. I haven't seen an ad on a bus, in the subway stations, on tv- anywhere. I think a poster just went up in Shubert Alley, but that's the only place I can think of.

The show is definitely flying under the radar and getting swallowed up by everything else this season.