Printer Friendly - Spider-Man

Spider-Man "1.0" Material
Posted by Scarywarhol 2013-01-17 01:33:45

Hey guys,

This is a strange request, but if anyone has any pictures (etc.) of Arachne's abandoned costumes, unused set pieces, DEEPLY FURIOUS/THINK AGAIN, etc. from Spider-Man "1.0", it would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you can point me toward any of this. Thanks!

Spider-Man
Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-01-17 01:37:06

I believe those photos are currently being referred to as "Exhibit A".

Spider-Man
Posted by Scarywarhol 2013-01-17 01:41:34

Indeed. And taken off the whole internet, apparently, as exclusive evidence!

Spider-Man
Posted by trentsketch 2013-01-17 08:08:49

There was a video floating around on a Tumblr for a long time of Think Again with the rotating spider leg costume. Never seen video of Deeply Furious (not that I looked too hard). Can't think of any photos of the abandoned costumes or sets, either, as they realized real quick Spider-man, not made up supervillain who steals shoes for love, was the draw of the show.

Spider-Man
Posted by suestorm 2013-01-17 09:32:13

heres the cool Arachne shoe dance!!

http://www.heroesinmycloset.com/2010/12/spider-man-turn-off-dark.html

Spider-Man
Posted by ucjrdude902 2013-01-17 09:59:38

My question is for anyone that saw the "before and after". Were there any drastic changes to the set? Or did they just make it work?

Spider-Man
Posted by LizzieCurry 2013-01-17 10:03:29

I saw it shortly before it went on that 3-week hiatus and then I saw the last preview. I don't remember any drastic changes to the set.

Spider-Man
Posted by suestorm 2013-01-17 10:04:11

i saw both, they took out most of the Arachnes scenes, and the greek chorus.

Spider-Man
Posted by Scott Briefer 2013-01-17 14:25:33

I saw both versions several times. There were some changes to the set:

1. There is an additional "stage" to the suburban neighborhood "pop-up / cut-out" set. With all of the panels open the center folds out to became the car accident that kills Peter's uncle. This final version of this set is no longer shown, but you can clearly see the "seams" where it had folded out.

2. There was a drop that was used for the "Geek Chorus" that is no longer in the show.

3. There was a treadmill that was being used during Peter's big solo. (Not seen, but created a really interesting effect for the actor's performance during that song.)

4. There are several changes to the graphics used on the moving screens, especially in what was the second act.

I am one of the few people who really enjoyed Spider-man v01. I saw it several times before it closed for revisions and then again after it reopened. In my opinion, the show right before the changes was infinitely more interesting. I was extremely saddened and disappointed by the new version. I think the current show is far inferior in almost all ways except the funeral (which has a new set piece - coffin) in the first act. In my opinion, Spiderman v1 was the far better show.

Spider-Man
Posted by suestorm 2013-01-17 14:35:33

I agree with you ART i liked it the first time better. i loved the first MJ better too.

Spider-Man
Posted by Markecib 2013-01-17 14:50:41

I miss the original staging to "Boy Falls from teh Sky." I don't know hoe Reeve made it thru that song every night, but it was impressive.

Spider-Man
Posted by kyl3fong2 2013-01-17 14:54:06

What was the original staging for "Boy Falls From the Sky"?

Spider-Man
Posted by Scott Briefer 2013-01-17 14:59:25

Peter is downstage center (as he is now), but on a treadmill that progressively gets faster and faster. His arc through the song matches the intensity of the speed of the treadmill. It was impressive and very powerful.

There are many changes to the "re-imagined" version that I believe to be less interesting. The comment about whether or not they made the set work, is an interesting one. In some ways, yes, as they didn't redesign most of the physical production, but no as the whole Arachne character no longer "works".

The whole Broadway Spider-man story is a sad one. Julie Taymor had a brilliant vision, but not the organizational skills to get that vision to stage before they decided to bring in live audiences. The show needed to be workshopped and there wasn't the possibility of that because of its technical challenges. Having typed that, Julie Taymor's vision was far more interesting and exciting and had it been a more perfect world, the show she would have ultimately given us, would have been - was - far more spectacular, thoughtful and entertaining.

Spider-Man
Posted by LegallyBroadway2 2013-01-17 16:45:49

Media and scenic elements cut from the show include

1) Sinister Six causing havoc across the globe, versus just new york http://media.prologuefilms.com/movies/smm_sinstereo.ogv

2) Think Again- http://media.prologuefilms.com/movies/SM_ThinkAgain.ogv

3) Later versions of Deeply Furious had a wedding chapel. The sequence existed before as a separate nightmare scene. A spider web drop was also cut, which was primarily used in this song, along with Rise Above.

3) Love Me or Kill Me was originally designed to deploy a "web" over the house, but was cut when due to flaws in the design. This version is before the later use of a web which instead stretched the stage portal. http://media.prologuefilms.com/movies/SM_LoveMeKillMe_v03_np_090211.ogv

4) Boy Falls From the Sky- The treadmill was cut from the song due to the telescoping Chrysler building piece which lifts from the trap immediately after the song. The time spent removing the treadmill from the lift, and rolling the Chrysler piece on, and tethering it to the wire would prove too lengthy. This video, although horribly synced, illustrates the incredible final moment, Peter running through new york. It was an incredible stage picture. Afterward, the Goblin entices Peter to vanquish the remaining villains. The treadmill, still used in No More, can spin as well. http://media.prologuefilms.com/movies/SM_BoyFalls_bug_new.ogv

5) The three lifts on the stage apron are equipped with LED strips on the edges, used in Spider-Man! at the top of Act 2, when the lifts are above deck height. The song also incorporates the LED legs, they flash strips of yellow as Swarm enters, and slide into various positions onto the stage, fading into flashing Spider-Man colors. This is the first time the panels are used in a bold form, unlike Bullying by Numbers when they simply border with pulsing color, matching the cyc. During the fashion show, a drop similar to the POW! BANG! Bullying by Numbers piece was used, comic cutouts of the villains back-lit, exactly like the ones projected in the panels during Freak Like Me today.

6) Geek's splash page

7) The Goblin's hair style changed. The colors of his face changed as well.

8 ) My favorite moment of 1.0 was after If The World Should End. Mary Jane was abducted in a flash of light, and appears far upstage, held by Swiss Miss and another villain. The ramp lifts to a dizzying height. Peter runs up, but alas, he has lost his powers and cannot rescue Mary Jane. He slides to the stage. This can briefly be seen at 47 seconds in this preview video http://www.popscreen.com/v/5WzON/Behind-the-Scenes-at-SpiderMan-Turn-Off-The-Dark

Spider-Man
Posted by Scott Briefer 2013-01-17 16:48:48

Excellent and far more detailed post. Thank you.

Can you find a picture of the final "position" of the street cut out piece with the car crash?

Spider-Man
Posted by LegallyBroadway2 2013-01-17 17:03:26

Unfortunate, I don't have that image..

Spider-Man
Posted by Scarywarhol 2013-01-17 20:09:12

LegallyBroadway, I agree totally that Mary-Jane's kidnap in the 1.0 version was a really incredibly moment; so theatrical. Shame that it had to be changed. Thanks to you and everyone else for the posts.

Spider-Man
Posted by zepka102 2013-01-17 20:54:19

LB2, thanks for all of that! I saw 1.0 in January before they shut it down. While it was a mess overall, I saw potential in what they had. It really was a visually stunning show, they just couldn't get everything together to make it work. I haven't seen 2.0 to compare, but it was great seeing some of these scenes again as envisioned. The set for "Love Me or Kill Me" caused the performance I saw to stop for about 4 minutes as the web net was tangled as they were setting it in place. Momentum was killed, this being the climax of the show.

Spider-Man
Posted by songanddanceman2 2013-01-17 21:35:43

Everything on the clips posted looks far more interesting and darker than what is currently playing

Spider-Man
Posted by Scarywarhol 2013-01-17 21:38:06

Yes; it's easy to forget how truly incoherent it was because visually and conceptually, it was SO much more interesting than what made it. That spinning Arachne costume truly was stunning.

And I really miss the original staging of Boy Falls From the Sky.

The show used to be a huge bowl of human crap with a whole bunch of 24-karat diamonds sprinkled into it. Now it is a bowl of cold, homogenous canned tomato soup that has been left out so long that it has that weird soup-skin on the top of it.

If you follow me.

(Exactly how I felt about the Carrie revival, too.)

Spider-Man
Posted by twinbelters 2013-01-18 00:09:10

Is Swiss Miss still in the show? Love that outfit.

Spider-Man
Posted by Scarywarhol 2013-01-18 11:38:30

She still does. Definitely the best of the Sinister Six, visually; probably got the most of Julie's attention.

Spider-Man
Posted by Sinfonian4life 2013-01-18 22:16:40

Played by Brandon Rubendall!

Spider-Man
Posted by rougeduck 2013-01-18 22:37:45

Think Again is actually an awesome song. I wish it got to be sung by someone who fit the vocal part.

Spider-Man
Posted by DEClarke 2013-01-20 12:20:36

LegallyBroadway2, wow what a collection of materials! IMPRESSIVE! Thanks for sharing. I only saw 2.0. I iwsh they would have kept "Think Again." That number is really fascinating!!!

Spider-Man
Posted by kissynose 2013-01-21 21:15:30

I have seen both versions. I was lucky enough to see the second preview before the original Arachne left. The show was very dark and amazing athough flawed. The original opening with Mary Jane hanging from the bridge with spiderman running towards her was amazing. The new incarnation of the show is a joke. They dumbed it down and gave the green goblin way too much stage time. The orignal plot was more focused on "the Dark" why did they leave Arachne in the show at all?

I was so excited about the reinvention of this show. It had potential. Too bad they took all the artistry out of the show and made it a tourist cirucs.

Spider-Man
Posted by Scott Briefer 2013-01-22 00:01:41

I'm really pleased that we're having this discussion. When Spider-man first began previewing, I saw the show, loved it - with noted flaws, which clearly were going to be worked on - and wrote about it here. I was trashed and even accused of being a shill. (I was so disturbed by the reaction to my liking the show that I actually had my account closed and stayed away for I believe over a year.)

Due to a series of circumstances, I was fortunate enough to see the first incarnation 3 times fairly evenly spaced out over its short run. I saw the huge changes that were being made and even had the opportunity to speak with Julie Taymor about the show (she was extremely nice and very interested in my comments).

I was deeply saddened that she was replaced as I could see the show shaping itself into an intense and magical piece of theatre. However, I was also very curious about the changes, so I saw the show a fourth time a few weeks after it reopened.

I was beyond disappointed. So much of the brilliance that made Spider-man edgy was gone. In fact, I thought there was only one positive additional to the new version - the funeral with the umbrellas and the coffin being lowered into the stage deck. I thought the new dialogue dreadful. Direction and choreography, worse. I thought the change in focus made what was a brilliant beginning now nothing more than an attempt to salvage a breathtaking set and early image. The list of dislikes goes on...

I am thankful for having seen Spider-man 1.0. It was a far more interesting show. For those who saw it very early in it's previews, it was being constantly worked on and it was coming into focus. I believe another few weeks and it would have been awe inspiring. For those who saw it right before the change, you too are lucky to have seen the better version. IMHO.

Spider-Man
Posted by bwayphreak234 2013-01-22 00:10:56

I'm sure people will remember on here that early during previews that I defended Julie Taymor's work and her vision. However, no major changes were made during previews and the glaring problems remained persistent. I know things take time, but Taymor would not and did not make any of the necessary changes even though the extremely long preview period.

Spider-Man
Posted by suestorm 2013-01-22 09:07:50

i did love the first show, but i do remember that the second act was kind of boring compared to the first so that did need fixing. but they probably went too fa.... Idid love that SHOE DANCE, and the song with all the billowy curtains, though i forget what song that was.