Printer Friendly - manilow on Broadway rush TDF?

manilow on Broadway rush TDF?
Posted by tking001 2013-01-16 00:58:35

Any news on a rush policy for the show yet?
Do you guys think they will have any sort of rush or lotto?
I feel like filling the St. James is a big task that may not be possibly

Also I've noticed it hasn't shown up on TDF yet

Posted by bobs3 2013-01-16 01:50:46

I'm not a fan of Manilow but he has not shortage of fan(atics) and will have no problem filling the St. James. I have a friend in Los Angeles and every time Manilow plays the Hollywood Bowl or does an sit down engagement in Las Vegas she is there with her sister, her mother, and her grandmother and he has no problem filling those venues which are much larger than the St. James.

The fan(atic)s in Westchester, Long Island, New Jersey and Connecticut are already checking bus and train schedules.

Posted by dramamama611 2013-01-16 05:54:28

Considering how they just extended the run, I'd say it is selling damn well -- which means it is highly unlikely that it will appear on TDF. Manilow has a HUGE following, particularly above a certain age of 40 (or so). Manilow was HUGE for those of us that are now in the 40-60 range.

Rush? While anything is possible, I wouldn't be suprised to find out the answer is no.

Posted by mamaleh 2013-01-16 10:31:18

I remember a funny WILL AND GRACE episode in which Grace revealed herself to be a "Fanilow" of the singer. I'm assuming that's an actual nickname for Manilow's fans, although I'd never heard it before.

Posted by Blockhead24 2013-01-17 12:23:59

$20 general rush https://twitter.com/Jordan_Roth/status/291959216346906624

Posted by tking001 2013-01-18 13:55:38

Anyone rush today?
I'm curious how many seats they have? Where they are? and what time people lined up

Also are they selling SRO?

Posted by tking001 2013-01-18 22:29:19

Bump

Posted by WhizzerMarvin TrinaJasonMendel 2013-01-18 22:30:23

I didn't rush it, but I saw the show tonight. I only recognized a handful of the songs. The show lasted 90 minutes and was well-planned/structured. He clearly loves his fans and singing his songs.

His fans really are something else. I mean totally, totally CRAZY, yet fun. There were two gay guys in one of the boxes who had choreographed moves to all the numbers! (One of my friends swore they were plants, but I think they were just fans. The woman behind me keep throwing her boa around my neck and rubbing my shoulders too! There were a lot of 50 year old women who were screaming, swooning and God knows what else.

If you're a fan I bet you'll go nuts for this. Even this non-fan was entertained and amused.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-01-18 22:43:13

Is it worth $700?

Posted by WhizzerMarvin TrinaJasonMendel 2013-01-18 22:49:19

It was worth the $50 I paid for it.

As far as special events go I still liked Mike Tyson better, but this was way better than Frankie Valli.

Posted by tking001 2013-01-18 22:50:32

Are the $50 balcony seats worth it?
I feel like Barry will look like an ant from the balcony of the Barn of the St. James

Posted by WhizzerMarvin TrinaJasonMendel 2013-01-18 22:54:49

I was in the rear mezz so I can't comment on how he looks from the balcony, but in general the balcony at the St. James sucks.

Posted by tking001 2013-01-18 23:12:09

Is the rear mezz worth the $50
or would I be better with the $20 rush

Posted by WhizzerMarvin TrinaJasonMendel 2013-01-18 23:23:20

If you're a fan spend the $50. If you're just going out of curiosity than I'd go with the $20 rush.

Posted by whatever2 2013-01-18 23:42:42

Jordan: no, but you avatar would be. :)

Posted by RippedMan 2013-01-19 02:51:30

Was there a set and like tech elements or was it just a plain ol' concert set up?

Posted by ArtMan 2013-01-19 10:09:07

Not a huge of Manilow, but have seen him in concert twice in the last couple of years. First time, paid $20 for a $100 ticket. Last time were free. As already mentioned, he does put on a good show and his fans love him. However, I did a search on his setlist, and the show he did in Washington on January 11, was almost identical to the last show I saw a year and a half ago. So it seems he doesn't change it up too much. BTW, tking001, I wouldn't sit too close. Barry is another celebrity, who has ruined his face with plastic surgery. Unless, he has had his last work redone, he really looks strange. Such a shame, at one time a handsome man.(IMO)

Posted by wdwfreak 2013-01-19 10:39:07

For anyone wondering about the seat location for rush it is partial view orchestra and there are about 16-20 tickets per performance.

Posted by mridley2 2013-01-19 11:20:27

A friend and I rushed this morning for the show. We were the first to arrive at 7am. Arriving that early might have been overkill but we had limited availability to see the show. Next ppl in line started arriving closer to 8 and by 10am everyone in line received rush tickets even though a few last minute arrivals weren't even aware of rush tickets until we informed them what the queue was for.

Anyway all of us in line received tix--great!--and there was even 1 ticket remaining after the queue had been exhausted.

Box office confirmed 16-20 seats for EVERY performance--including opening night january 24th--located in far left or right ORCH rows D.E,F considered "partial view."

Posted by musicman_bwayfan 2013-01-19 18:38:50

How's the stage door? Any merch?

Posted by oasisjeff 2013-01-20 01:32:22

I went today at 4pm, just to ask how rush has gone, and ended up buying a seat in row G, partial view. I couldn't see the video screen toward the back of the stage, and a lot of the band, and when he would play a few songs on the piano, he was out of my line of sight, except for his right hand on the top keys. But he rarely even played a whole song there, usually a verse or so, then he was back out front and center. I'd say you see Barry for 85-90% of the show perfectly.

It seemed to be very similar to the 90 minute show I saw him do in Vegas 2-3 years ago.

LOTS of merch.

Posted by musicman_bwayfan 2013-01-20 02:44:39

Any posters at the merch table?

How much were the partial view seats?

Posted by Phantom of London 2013-01-20 09:42:23

I passed TKTs at 7:30 at Times Square and still saw it up on the board for 50% off, so tickets not selling, the producers have shot themselves in the foot by charging such high prices and putting 'ordinary' punters off.

50% off is that for the premium tickets or regular tickets?

Posted by yankeefan7 2013-01-20 14:16:00

Jordan - why did you always bring up the $700 price thing? Yes, it is crazy to us maybe but obviously somebody is willing to pay it. I believe I read there are a few rush seats available that are cheap and doubt the other seat prices are that crazy in today's concert market. IMO - I have seen many great concerts from McCartney, Springsteen, Zepplin, Stones, The Who, Billy Joel, Sinatra etc and even they were not worth that much money.

Posted by yankeefan7 2013-01-20 14:30:01

ArtMan - see clip below from show. Right at the end you get a brief closeup shot of his face and you are right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtOphCkTwL4

Posted by broadwaydevil 2013-01-20 15:36:22

Yankeefan - I'm not sure that tickets are selling that well. Every performance has been at TKTS for I think 50% off and rush has been easy. Sure, it's early in the run, but contrast this to Hugh Jackman last season who had no problems filling the house.

Posted by yankeefan7 2013-01-20 15:42:53

Broadwaydevil - OK. So that probably means that people are not buying the $700 seats so maybe Manilow is learning a lesson. I remember when the new Yankee Stadium opened and seats up close to field were some ridiculous price (around $1,000). Seats wound up being empty and price was eventually lowered. I believe it is still crazy but still it is not as bad as original price.

Posted by Dollypop 2013-01-20 16:34:49

Would someone please describe the show curtain? I won't go to this unless it's really nice. Also, is the Playbill still in color?

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-01-20 16:40:25

The show curtain is black, like Elizabeth's soul.

Posted by ArtMan 2013-01-20 17:40:32

Yankeefan7, there were pictures from the stage door from yesterday up on BW latest headlines. You really get a good close-up of him. I don't see the heading anymore.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-01-20 17:42:01

Did he stage door?

Posted by ArtMan 2013-01-20 17:44:07

There were pictures of him signing after his performance. If you know how to do the search on the headlines, you will see them.

Posted by oasisjeff 2013-01-21 01:44:51

Sorry, I don't recall if there were posters. But I did buy a magnet specifically with a logo of this Broadway run, so possibly?!

Partial view is the same as rush, $20, day of show.

I'm unclear what the $700 ticket refers to, since the top price I've seen if $350 to get a prime seat on Saturday shows? Also, I can't imagine they are doing poorly if they extended the shows two (or three?) more weeks. The Fanilows were out in full force the other night, and these are cheaper and more intimate tickets than when he was in Vegas at the Paris... which isn't saying much, considering it's Vegas.

Posted by MickSeven 2013-01-21 18:38:36

Saw the concert Saturday- row Q of the mezzanine and enjoyed it having been a fan for 30+ years. He did a nice job of fitting 23 songs into 90 minutes.
I was pleased to pay $60 with fees, the row in front of me would have been $110 and only 4 rows in front $200.

Did anyone sit in the balcony? How would center balcony be vs. being all the way on the side of the rear mezzanine (asking because I am considering going again, sat in rear mezzanine, but center)