Printer Friendly - Can someone explain this picture?

Can someone explain this picture?
Posted by Will42 2013-01-15 13:09:30

Why is Lauren Bacall holding an Academy Award at the Tonys? I assume its Maggie Smith's.

Posted by artscallion 2013-01-15 14:09:51

This is backstage at the 1970 Tony Awards ceremony at which Lauren performed "Welcome to the Theatre" from Applause. She won the Tony that year for Best Leading Actress in a Musical.

Maggie was a presenter that year. I have no idea what the Oscar is doing there. Two thoughts...
- I believe there is an Oscar-like award used in the show, Applause (though I could be wrong about that) Maybe it was on hand for their Tony performance.
- Maggie had just won her first Oscar for Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. Maybe she brought it along as her date?

Here's another pic from the same moment...
[IMG]

Posted by Will42 2013-01-15 14:16:59

Thank you! Yeah, Smith won the Best Actress award for The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie just a week earlier. So I guess she brought it with her that night.

Posted by artscallion 2013-01-15 14:28:06

It seems also that since Maggie did not attend the Oscars to accept the award because she was in a play in New York at the time, perhaps there may have been some business about giving it to her that night? It's a funny little mystery.

Posted by jv92 2013-01-15 21:14:21

Betty's probably saying, "Tony hell! That should be MINE, you bitch!" in that picture. She looks so glamorous in that dress, too.

Posted by mamaleh 2013-01-16 00:14:31

In the B&W photo above, I recognize Tammy Grimes and Fritz Weaver. But I can't quite place the guy at far left. Anybody know?

Posted by Far From Home 2013-01-16 00:55:08

Maggie Smith did not attend the Academy Awards on April 7, 1970 when she won for "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie" because she and husband at the time, Robert Stephens, were appearing in "Beaux Stratagem" at the National Theatre in London. Alice Ghostley accepted the Oscar. Maggie and Robert did fly over for one day on April 19 to attend the Tony Awards and present a special Tony to Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontanne. Maggie's Oscar had made its way from California to New York and it was presented to her backstage by Lauren Bacall.

Posted by artscallion 2013-01-16 06:54:57

Thanks, FFH!

Posted by Mr Roxy 2013-01-16 07:14:41

The guy on the left may be Cleavon Little

Posted by artscallion 2013-01-16 07:33:34

Good call, MrR. Little won the tony for Purlie that year.

Posted by Will42 2013-01-16 07:47:52

Thank you!

Posted by mamaleh 2013-01-16 08:40:09

I saw PURLIE back in my student days; I guess I don't remember what he looked like out of the cowboy paraphernalia he wore in BLAZING SADDLES. He's squinting a bit, so maybe that's why I don't recognize him--unless it's not him. But why else would he be posed with those present? Must be him.

Posted by artscallion 2013-01-16 09:06:13

It's definitely Little. I went back to the page I'd originally found the photo on. Here is the caption...

"Tony winners, from left, Cleavon Little, Lauren Bacall, Tammy Grimes and Fritz Weaver pose at the 24th Annual Tony Awards ceremony at the Mark Hellinger Theatre in New York City, April 19, 1970. Little won best actor in a musical for "Purlie"; Bacall won best actress in a musical for "Applause"; Grimes won best actress for the revival "Private Lives"; and Weaver won best actor in a dramatic role for "Child's Play." (AP Photo)