Printer Friendly - How Can Anyone Who Loves Music Enjoy Musicals

How Can Anyone Who Loves Music Enjoy Musicals
Posted by MKunkel 2013-01-12 10:30:39

I just found this article and I thought it be an interesting topic of discussion.
http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/david-sexton-how-can-anyone-who-loves-music-enjoy-musicals-8445520.html

Posted by Dave19 2013-01-12 10:40:30

Singing a song is ALWAYS acting, telling a story.

So he does not like singing and music in general?

That's good, but a matter of taste.

Posted by jasonf 2013-01-12 14:08:13

Sounds like a five year old whining "but I don't LIKE it, so why would ANYONE like it!" On top of that, it's condescending and superior - kind of disgusting, really.

I'd love to hear what he considers to be "good" music. I'll bet you I don't like some of it. Does that make me worse than him?

What an ass.

Posted by Dave19 2013-01-12 14:17:14

I bet the music he likes is in some musical somewhere too.

Posted by ratherbewhaling 2013-01-12 14:21:01

to quote laura benanti "When people vehemently hate musicals I wonder what horrible thing happened to them as children."

and he better not be a liverpool fan

Posted by Outoftowner2 2013-01-12 15:44:03

Don't like musicals..then don't go to them. Don't like football, then don't go to the match. Don't like chicken, then don't eat it. Don't like coke, then don't drink it.
People who do like musicals aren't going to stop liking them because you don't approve. I do wish there was a way to win your approval though, it seems so important...to you.

Posted by RaisedOnMusicals 2013-01-12 15:55:43

I actually wonder why you actually posted the link to that pretentious bunch of crap on this board. Think many are going to say hey, you know, he's right?

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-01-12 16:24:01

I actually wonder why you actually wonder why he actually posted that on the board. Maybe it was to actually start a discussion about something that was actually written?

Posted by hermajesty 2013-01-12 16:29:49

I totally agree with David Sexton, a good, honest report

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-01-12 16:31:55

So one of Broadway World's most useless trolls agrees with him. Good to know.

Posted by yankeefan7 2013-01-12 16:33:24

What is so interesting, he just does not like musicals and seems to think the people who went to see the movie "Les Miserables" don't have musical taste. People who love musicals don't think everything is great and probably are the biggest critics. It is all a matter of taste, too each their own.

Posted by hermajesty 2013-01-12 16:41:56

Just because you have posted thousand of posts on here does not make you superior, it just makes you come across as a sad **** that has nothing better to do than be online all day.... Sad

Posted by hermajesty 2013-01-12 16:56:52

Troll, just because I never agree with your opinion. You know, others do have opinions that may just not agree with yours. Your ego is massive, god help you

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-01-12 17:00:23

Bitch, please. You know that I could care less if we disagree. But the fact is that you are a troll here who has never contributed anything worthwhile or substantial to any conversation.

Posted by hermajesty 2013-01-12 17:14:28

In your opinion, that is. Grow up and consider that others may disagree with how you think, that doesn't mean to say that I am wrong or right, it's just a different opinion to yours. How can you be so arrogant as to think only your opinion matters on here?

Posted by hermajesty 2013-01-12 17:22:41

No, people like you bore me to death because your ego tells you that you are always right....I.e.... You're a narcissist big time

Posted by hermajesty 2013-01-12 17:23:30

Even your avatar tells me that, that is how you wished you looked

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2013-01-12 17:27:43

Well, the Sexton piece is like le troll de resistance so trolls of a painful Black Swan-like feather, I guess.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-01-12 17:28:36

Well if my avatar tells you I wished I looked like that, than yours tells me you wish you had a heart.

Posted by hermajesty 2013-01-12 17:35:17

You have set your mind that I am a troll and nothing I say can change that. I do not seem to be able to have an opinion on here but back to the subject, I agree with the report. You say you couldn't care less about my opinion so stop replying to my posts

Posted by Jay Lerner-Z 2013-01-12 17:37:06

hermajesty, why do you always use "gay" as a pejorative?

Posted by hermajesty 2013-01-12 17:38:11

Pejorative?

I am never that as I am gay myself

Posted by henrikegerman 2013-01-12 17:38:25

Overall the piece itself is perfectly respectable as it explains why he doesn't like musicals and opera (and many people don't). It's the headline that's objectionable because it is completely unpersuasive and insulting to those who disagree with him (and many people do).

Posted by PalJoey 2013-01-12 18:22:34

His essential premise is flawed:

The very idea of having people acting and then singing at the same time, and quite possibly dancing too, repels us.

People acting and singing at the same time--dancing, as well--has it roots in the most ancient of storytelling. It is as human as laughing or crying.

The way he employs the irritating British habit of speaking in the first person plural makes the rest of his column unreadable...to those of us who are intelligent appreciators of good writing and performing.

When British people speak in the "Royal We," Americans think they're pompous blowhards. When Americans fall into it, they just seem pretentious.

To quote some British queen, "We are not amused."

Posted by GavestonPS 2013-01-12 18:51:05

Thank you, Joey. I too would find Mr. Sexton's argument more compelling if he seemed even vaguely aware that the "non-musical" is a mere blip on the timeline of theater history.

Or if he acknowledged that only European cultures split up music, dance and drama and sent them to separate buildings.

Or even if he noted that all art is based on conventions, even Naturalism. (No, Mr. Sexton, people in real life don't live their lives always facing the same wall or movie camera. You're just used to that convention.)

Or that Verdi and Puccini wrote the popular musicals of their eras.

Or that more contemporary opera composers (Bernstein, Weill) also wrote for the popular stage and yearned for Broadway hits.

Posted by hermajesty 2013-01-12 18:53:50

To me Les Mis is the kings new clothes. Russell Crowe is mediocre as is Anne Hathaway. She just can't sing, a sweet soprano but struggles

Posted by GavestonPS 2013-01-12 19:03:18

Among the hit European poperettas of the past 30 years, LES MIZ is my favorite. But that may be faint praise and disliking it is a matter of personal preference.

Complaining that actors sing and dance is just ignorant.

Posted by hermajesty 2013-01-12 19:13:49

Yes it's my favourite too but with the right talented cast but the film unfortunately isn't cast correctly IMO

Posted by Reginald Tresilian 2013-01-12 19:27:58

It's a breathtakingly stupid article. Stupid and poorly written--a master class in begging the question. "This art form I don't like is inferior because the ones I like are superior."

What's great music? Classical? Jazz? Baroque? R&B? Let's guess classical. So Salieri is inherently better than Gershwin? What's great drama? Anything wherein no one sings? So "Star-Spangled Girl" is automatically better than "Gypsy"?

And hermajesty, I know you say you're gay, but are you truly unaware that you attempted to use it now as an insult?

Posted by hermajesty 2013-01-12 19:39:07

In your opinion Reg. Stop being judgemental.

Posted by GavestonPS 2013-01-12 19:43:24

It's a breathtakingly stupid article. Stupid and poorly written--a master class in begging the question. "This art form I don't like is inferior because the ones I like are superior."

Indeed, and how interesting that Sexton compares LES MIZ to grand opera! Has he listened to Top 40 radio lately?

Posted by Reginald Tresilian 2013-01-12 20:34:06

Hermajesty, if you are sincerely saying you didn't toss "gay" into your description of Jordan with the hope of wounding him, then I sincerely apologize.

Posted by SporkGoddess 2013-01-13 00:30:37

"People who love musicals — and we have to confront the gruesome fact that there are such people, 60 million of them having paid to see Les Misérables on stage around the world — don’t care so much. They just want to be pumped up with emotion by any means, lacking perhaps any interior life of their own."

Pfft, those plebes and their wanting music to inspire "emotion" in them. That's not what music is for!

Posted by Kad 2013-01-13 02:44:24

Wait, hermajesty- you totally agree with the article? So you hate musicals and don't really understand how anyone can enjoy them?

The article, as Joey and Reg have pointed out, is not only idiotic- but patently insulting.

But I suppose I'd rather have no interior life than have one as miserable as Sexton's.

Posted by WestEndAndy 2013-01-13 04:11:00

There are some very stupid, self-satisfied, opinionated people out there and some of them are critics.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2013-01-13 04:14:16

I have quite the dark and twisted interior life.

Posted by aaronb 2013-01-13 05:16:16

Those of us who don't like musicals deserve a better, less condescending voice.

Posted by DEClarke 2013-01-13 17:36:47

Hermajesty, I'd like to point out that Jordan and I disagree on this board (i.e. I think Daphne Rubin-Vega has not aged well.). Yet, I have never been called a troll. So, your argument that he calls you a troll just because you disagree is not valid.

Posted by PTOPhan 2013-01-13 18:38:59

Ladies and gentlemen, name-calling takes a lot of time and bandwidth that could be better used for calling third parties names, such as the critic who wrote the article under discussion. [JUST KIDDING AROUND.] For the record, I don't think "gay" should have pejorative connotations, but, unfortunately, some people use it that way. As far as calling someone a "troll," I'm not sure that anyone who seriously wants to discuss theater is really a troll, even if they try to rile people up. I tend to think of "trolls" as people who hang around boards to which they have no connection or interest for the sole purpose of insulting or annoying people --for example, calling people "libtards" on a left-oriented site or hurling anti-Semitic epithets on a Jewish board. Just my two cents.

Posted by Kad 2013-01-13 19:51:21

If they seriously wish to discuss theatre, then they can't also want to just rile people up.