Printer Friendly - Breaking News: MARY POPPINS to Close on Broadway March 3, 2013; ALADDIN Next at the New Amsterdam Theater?

Breaking News: MARY POPPINS to Close on Broadway March 3, 2013; ALADDIN Next at the New Amsterdam Theater?
Posted by Rob 2013-01-07 16:58:52

Breaking News: MARY POPPINS to Close on Broadway March 3, 2013; ALADDIN Next at the New Amsterdam Theater?
Posted by Jordan Catalano 2013-01-07 17:07:33

Well, I'm sorry for two of my friends who are in the show but other than that...

Posted by TheGingerBreadMan 2013-01-07 17:22:49

HOLY SHIZ WHAT THE CRAP

Posted by beautywickedlover 2013-01-07 17:30:47

'Mary Poppins' had a very long and respectable run but I will be sad to see it go. I am looking forward to 'Aladdin' and I think this is why Disney might have delayed the Diamond Edition Blu-Ray from this year to next year.

Posted by Overkill 2013-01-07 17:31:44

It had a really great run. SO excited that Aladdin may be coming!!! It's about time, really. I hope they're still working on it, though. I liked a lot of the changes they made to the story/score, but there were some things that just didn't seem right to me.... Iago being a human, for one.

ANYWAY - I really hope that Jonathan Freeman reprises Jafar, as well as John Tartaglia as the Genie! So ready to see him back on Broadway.

Posted by TheGingerBreadMan 2013-01-07 17:33:56

^^
I second Tartaglia.

Posted by beautywickedlover 2013-01-07 17:36:33

I second Freeman. He's so talented. I'll never forget his, "I'm afraid it's time to say goodbye to Prince Abubu."

Posted by WiCkEDrOcKS 2013-01-07 17:40:21

Is this ALADDIN gonna have that 3-D shIt in it? Ugh.

Posted by Brave Sir Robin2 2013-01-07 17:48:23

Mary Poppins was a great show and had a very solid run. Hopefully, this opens up the show to regional productions.

I am grateful that we're not getting Dumbo, but I hope they get someone to tweak Aladdin in order to make it a more tight show with an elaborate Disney flair. Especially considering the other regional productions have been produced by other companies. Of course with Disney producing, I have the feeling that this could be visually stunning! Will Disney do an out-of-town tryout?

And considering they've done in-house flying for Poppins, what is there to renovate?

EDIT: I know this will never happen, but maybe they ship the sets to California, cut the show to 45-minutes, and re-open Mary Poppins in Disney California Adventure?

Posted by Wildcard 2013-01-07 17:52:48

James Monroe Iglehart was very good as the Genie. Would love to see Adam Jacobs as Aladdin as well.

I wonder if anyone here managed to catch either of the initial US productions and the Manila production which I believe was the most recent staging of the musical. Per my understanding, the Manila staging included elements workshopped after the US debut. I'm just curious how it managed to hold up.

Posted by ucjrdude902 2013-01-07 17:54:57

Am I the only one shocked by this? They need to seriously rework the script for Aladdin if they're using that regional one.

Posted by Wildcard 2013-01-07 17:59:45

Well, if Aladdin really does take over the New Amsterdam, I hope they actually make the magic carpet fly. Putting it on a cherry picker is not really flying (sorry Elphaba). Mary Poppins flying into the auditorium was always fun to see.

I'd love to see the show use some puppetry as well. Jafar turning into a genie should be magical. In Seattle, nothing really happened. At least in Manila, they used some wirework to make him fly. It would be cool to see him at least become intimidating as the evil Genie.

Posted by ucjrdude902 2013-01-07 18:01:45

Also, renovations? Didn't Disney drastically renovate the place before they moved in the first place?

Posted by AnythingGoes23 2013-01-07 18:06:17

It's true. It was on the cards from last year they decided it.

Posted by JohnyBroadway 2013-01-07 18:09:44

We'll never forget you Mary Poppins! Is there a chance Aladdin will be doing a pre- broadway tour? Our local presenters here in Portland, OR did a survey last year about future offerings and Aladdin was listed.

Posted by Mr Roxy 2013-01-07 18:11:51

They may wind up with a Tarzan or Little Mermaid.

Posted by fashionguru_23 2013-01-07 18:22:02

I'm just going to put it out there, that Mary Poppins/Disney hasn't announced officially that its closing yet. It probably well be, and it was a great show for Disney. However, this is just in the current "rumours" and "reliable sources" stages. Tickets are currently on sale until August 18th, 2013.

Posted by theaterfan862 2013-01-07 18:28:42

I know it is a long shot but would like to see Mary Poppins transfer to either the Marquis or the Neil Simon. I picked those two theaters because they are or will be empty by the time Mary Poppins closes and they are both Nederlander theaters(past Disney shows have been in Nederlander theaters).

Posted by winston89 2013-01-07 18:31:02

I will not take this as fact until Disney releases a statement. As of right now, it's just a rumor stated by Ridel in the Post. Now, I know that many of you here think that if he says something it's true. But, I can think of several situations in recent years where he said something was going to happen and yet it didn't.

Even if it's true, I can't think Disney would want to keep their only Broadway venue closed for long. So, if they do close they would most likely have something in the cards to replace it.

Posted by Hank 2013-01-07 18:33:26

I think renovations will be for the most part technical, making things and people fly. That seems to be the ticket these days. And maybe a fresh coat of paint here and there.
I'm not much into Disney shows, but with Robin de Jesus and John Tartaglia, I'll be there, and can't wait!

Posted by little_sally 2013-01-07 18:36:15

This just feels like it's going to be another Beauty and the Beast situation.

Posted by Mr Roxy 2013-01-07 18:37:29

Maybe it can go to New World Stages scaled down of course.

Posted by fashionguru_23 2013-01-07 18:38:32

Little Sally, I totally agree with you.

Posted by Visceral_Fella 2013-01-07 18:38:42

I agree Wildcard I know it's not easy, but I want them to try and do something with Jafar as Genie if Aladdin Transfers. I was so disappointed when I saw The Little Mermaid and there was no big scary Ursula at the end. The way that the giant was handled in The Public's Into the Woods, can make those moments cool and exciting.

Posted by ucjrdude902 2013-01-07 18:39:00

I'd be shocked if de Jesus comes to Broadway as Aladdin. No where near the star potential for this show.

Posted by Jonwo 2013-01-07 18:44:10

Mary Poppins closing doesn't surprise me as its numbers outside of holidays haven't been great, its had a fantastic run and a success for Disney and Cameron Mackintosh.

Posted by darquegk 2013-01-07 18:45:00

If the show is roughly the same in structure as the past regionals, Aladdin won't need to be a big name or even a major veteran- the real "star" roles per se are Jafar, Genie and the Three Wise Guys.

Posted by everythingtaboo 2013-01-07 18:49:38

I do find it hysterical that BWW would post something still technically unofficial as fact. Remember when they would delete threads before the closing was actually posted? I hope Thomas Schumacher does a big FU and extends it just a few more months.

Posted by emida 2013-01-07 18:54:49

So excited about Aladdin!

The movie holds a special place in my heart and I hope they'll do something interesting with it! There's so much potential there and I hope it turns out great!

Posted by broadwaydevil 2013-01-07 19:02:22

This sounds eerily reminiscent to when Disney closed their long-running major success, Beauty and the Beast at the Lunt, to make room for The Little Mermaid what would become a major flop.

I was never a fan of Mary Poppins but it's had a very good run and even in recent months the grosses have been softer but far from terrible. I just don't see the justification for closing, making major, potentially expensive renovations to the New Amsterdam, for another musical that hasn't had a tryout anywhere that's been universally loved.

Posted by Kad 2013-01-07 19:05:17

"Remember when they would delete threads before the closing was actually posted?"

...and then post the same story as an article?

Posted by Phantom of London 2013-01-07 19:21:30

I agree about Beauty and the Beast closing, to make way for the beleaguered The Little Mermaid, which just drowned in the Lunt.

Anyway aren't we due another Aida revival?

Posted by Blockhead24 2013-01-07 19:39:40

Hmm https://twitter.com/nicolasdromard/status/288432701843836930

Posted by ucjrdude902 2013-01-07 19:40:53

That doesn't mean anything. The cast might just not know yet.

Posted by ClydeBarrow 2013-01-07 19:46:22

This article says March 3rd and Riedel is saying April 3rd. Not sure about all this.

Posted by rosscoe(au) 2013-01-07 19:51:15

Dead horse, yes.

But Disney needed to bring Hunchback in first

Posted by PitPro2004 2013-01-07 19:58:42

**yawn** They're swapping out an umbrella for a rug. Big deal.

Posted by TheGingerBreadMan 2013-01-07 20:01:13

I highly doubt that this is true.

EDIT: I checked, and Theater Mania has it listed as an open run.

Posted by Wildcard 2013-01-07 20:04:26

If Aladdin were to come to Broadway in its current state, I think it needs a smaller theater to succeed.

Posted by TheGingerBreadMan 2013-01-07 20:06:52

Wildcard, I agree 100%. Eugene O'Neill would be ideal, but seeing as though BOM sells out almost every week, there is no chance of that happening.

Posted by frogs_fan85 2013-01-07 20:09:05

That's probably a typo on Reidel's part as April 3rd is a Wednesday.

Posted by everythingtaboo 2013-01-07 20:23:08

"That doesn't mean anything. The cast might just not know yet."

The justification of deleting closing announcements thread used to be because sometimes people here knew before the cast was officially informed. I guess the sensitivity doesn't exist anymore.

PS Still not official, "Breaking News" indeed.

Posted by Jonwo 2013-01-07 20:26:04

If Aladdin is going to be large scale then it's more than likely going to go into a large theatre. I imagine there will be another out of town tryout as I imagine the show won't be exactly the same as the Seattle run.

Posted by TheatreKid3 2013-01-07 20:26:39

I highly doubt this is true. They had just announced Dromard was temporarily replacing Gavin Lee in his leave of absence to go back to London and do TOP HAT for a bit, with what sounded like Gavin having the intention to return to the production after a few months. I really don't think that Disney would make the BEAUTY mistake twice. POPPINS is still doing really well for them, and I personally think the New Amsterdam is too big for ALADDIN at this point (unless, as Jonwo said, Disney makes ALADDIN into a huge spectacle - which they should).

I also agree that HUNCHBACK should be here already.

Posted by Jonwo 2013-01-07 20:34:42

If it were to close, I would have thought August would be more likely so that they can get the last few months of good sales, renovate the New Amsterdam between September-October then reopen with Aladdin in late October/early November.

Posted by TheGingerBreadMan 2013-01-07 20:53:30

They've been making 1mil a week over the holidays, and not too much less normally. It would be stupid to close this for ALADDIN. It is a fun regional show, but I can't see it doing well on Broadway. If this is true, I agree with many others, this is BEAUTY all over again. Close a hit (or at least semi-hit) for a flop. I hope Disney isn't stupid enough to make this mistake twice. They will feel absolutely ridiculous.

Posted by TheatreKid3 2013-01-07 20:57:40

From what I read, the rumor was that ALADDIN would open in the Spring of 2014. I think that is a good move for them to open closer to the peak in award season. But, I don't think it makes sense for the New Amsterdam to sit dark for almost a year. They should run POPPINS until early/late August and capitalize off the summer one last time - if they are truly going to close it. Then, renovate the theatre during the fall and winter, then open ALADDIN in April.

However, I think POPPINS still has a lot left in it and should remain open to avoid losing a major hit for a potential flop. At this point, I think it would be in Disney's best interest to try and put ALADDIN in another Nederlander house that is open. The Neil Simon is currently vacant, but it would have to sit empty for over a year unless they want to open earlier - and I don't see the Nederlander's going for that. Their best option would be to take the Lunt-Fontanne back, should MOTOWN tank, or maybe even the Marquis (but that is a similar situation to the Simon).

Posted by ucjrdude902 2013-01-07 21:05:48

I like the Lunt idea.

Posted by TheatreKid3 2013-01-07 21:10:52

I really do think it would be the best fit. But they may want the Amsterdam because the Mezz overhang is so far back, meaning they could fly the carpet over more people and at a greater distance from the stage.

Posted by Jonwo 2013-01-07 21:11:00

Poppins could transfer to the Neil Simon or Marquis and they could one of the existing touring sets but I wonder if Disney has discussed this option with Cameron Mackintosh because it's his show too as well as the possibility of closing it.

Posted by ACL2006 2013-01-07 21:12:45

I'll add and say, if anything, keep Poppins their until Labor Day. If Motown tanks, move it to the Lunt or to the Neil Simon if it remains vacant. Poppins still does good business, even during the slow seasons. Aladdin likely wouldn't be ready until Spring 2014 anyway.

Posted by winston89 2013-01-07 21:15:53

The only way Poppins can come close to fitting into another theatre is if they redo the sets and use the touring ones. The show is a big show as far as sets are concerned, and it works in the New Amsterdam because that theatre is a big theatre in terms of backstage space.

Posted by CapnHook 2013-01-07 22:01:55

Is POPPINS' running costs THAT high to justify closing? I would think it could make more money running 1-2 additional years without a loss. Either they have plans to transfer POPPINS, or they just don't want to milk the show any longer and put fresh material on stage.

How much of the score is original? Would it be eligible for Best Score like Newsies was?

Posted by beautywickedlover 2013-01-07 22:17:16

I still miss 'Beauty and the Beast' to this day. Some people said that the show was getting a little dusty, but it has always been a timeless musical. It was very faithful to the film and the new songs were wonderful. Sierra Boggess and Sherie Rwne Scott were the only good things about 'The Little Mermaid'. The whole production was just a mess.

Posted by AEA AGMA SM 2013-01-07 22:31:57

Mary Poppins is probably a fairly costly show to run. You have a pretty large cast, including a good number of children, a good sized orchestra, and a very large crew. In addition their insurance costs are most likely a good deal higher than a lot of other shows due to the flying.

Posted by GlindatheGood22 2013-01-07 22:33:37

Sad. I really loved it when I saw it years ago. Not sure I would have the same reaction now but glad for a good, healthy run.

Posted by bdn223 2013-01-07 23:01:44

I feel bad for Gavin Lee. He has been with the show since it opened in London, opened the show on Broadway, did the tour and then came back to broadway. He just took off for a few month to do Top Hat in London for a few months and was to return to Mary Poppins over the summer. I honestly wonder if Disney will try to bring him back for the final show.

Posted by Jonwo 2013-01-07 23:19:05

I imagine Mary Poppins just makes its running costs during the quieter periods then make money during the holidays.

I'm sure Gavin will come back to do Bert if the show does close, I wouldn't be surprised if Laura Michelle Kelly or more likely Ashley Brown come back as Mary.

Posted by JBroadway 2013-01-07 23:49:03

that wouldn't be very nice for Dromard. He was supposed to go until August, His run would already be drastically cut short if it closes. Do you think they would cut it short even more just to bring Gavin back?

Posted by Blockhead24 2013-01-08 00:16:08

^ no disrespect intended to Lee but I really hope not

Posted by fashionguru_23 2013-01-08 03:27:09

Its possible. Disney brought Donny Osmond back to Beauty And The Beast for the final show, to play Gaston. I could see it happening again.

Also, Kelli O'Hara was brought back for 2 weeks

Posted by KirbyCat 2013-01-08 03:35:03

Could you imagine if Kelli O'Hara played Mary?
Ignore me, this is just my sleepiness talking... but still. Kelli O'Hara.

Posted by Briaansmith 2013-01-08 05:23:16

Kelli O Hara and Disney???

Posted by winston89 2013-01-08 06:49:40

If they contract Dromard and the show is supposed to close, they can pay him what they promised him but still have Lee go on instead. It's not uncommon and done all the time.

However, I still think that until there is some official word from Disney, I am not sure that this is going to happen. After all, The New York Times was basing their report on something that Riedel reported in The Post, and we all know he is so reliable (said sarcastically.) I think that this was poor journalism on The Time's part to not wait for a more official source before reporting it as truth.

Posted by Brian07663NJ 2013-01-08 08:40:15

Anything can happen if you let it.

Posted by EponineAmneris 2013-01-08 08:41:02

Let's all just wait and see IF MARY POPPINS closes and IF ALADDIN takes it's place

I saw a link on YAHOO! about this, too, but yeah... Rumors always get reported as fact before the facts are known.

Posted by little_sally 2013-01-08 10:17:53

If this was just a rumor, don't you think Disney would've come out and killed it by now?

Posted by gstrus2 2013-01-08 10:27:37

If Poppins does leave on March 2, will Disney push to get Aladdin in there before this years Tony's or will they wait until next season?

Posted by Phantom of London 2013-01-08 10:33:40

Disney is such an immense massive organization, that with Mary Poppins they aren't concerned with making such small profits $20.000 - $100.000 a week, means nothing, they rather gamble on Aladdin being the next The Lion King and make $1m a week profit from Broadway + tour + London + other productions.

If the show tanks like Tarzan or The Little Mermaid, then that’s business, Disney is big enough to cover it, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Posted by ucjrdude902 2013-01-08 10:41:55

Couldn't agree more Phantom. Personally if done right I think this could be a massive hit for Disney. In my opinion it's one of the few Disney movies that is loved by boys and girls. Girls want to be Jasmine and boys want to be Aladdin. Unlike TLM which is catered to one, or Tarzan which is catered to another. If done right, produced well, and from the get go it gets a good buzz it'll work.

This is my issue with Disney when they get 100% invested in something you get pure stage magic, for instance TLK and BATB. But when they half heart do it like Tarzan it flops. My issue with TLM was that it looked like a little more expensive Disney parks show.

I wouldn't mind seeing Disney sign a long lease for the Lunt and it make it another Disney house much like the New Amsterdam has become.

Posted by everythingtaboo 2013-01-08 10:44:48

Still no actual news on this "Breaking News", BWW? Hmph.

Even if it does close, I really can't imagine it closing so early. With all the spring break and school groups that come into town in March through April, it's not like Lion King or Newsies will have enough room to accommodate everyone stuck without a show, it would be a huge disservice.

The whole thing sticks, because now Poppins unfairly has this sword hanging over its head.

Posted by beautywickedlover 2013-01-08 10:51:01

Variety has even reported it.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118064296/

ETA: Now even Entertainment Weekly has written an article about this rumor.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/01/08/disney-aladdin-broadway/

Posted by TheatreKid3 2013-01-08 11:08:49

Also, I would like to make the point that, if Disney is planning on bringing HUNCHBACK to Broadway in the near future, I think it should be the show going into the New Amsterdam. It will more than likely be a huge mega-musical like POPPINS and definitely fill the space. I can also see, though, that they might want a more well-known/classic show in their main & largest house as HUNCHBACK's darkness might dampen its youth appeal.

I second the notion on Disney acquiring the Lunt! Lol

Posted by seanmcdona2 2013-01-08 11:14:20

Does it not seem odd to keep a theatre dark for nearly a year? They're talking about closing Poppins in Spring 2013 and opening Aladdin in Spring 2014? Just seems a bit odd to me unless they'v plans to put another small show in for a bit... not likely though

Posted by Blockhead24 2013-01-08 11:16:55

the articles say that they'd be renovating

Posted by everythingtaboo 2013-01-08 11:26:11

This whole thing is out of control. It's all based on this one article. If it's Riedel, it's likely right in some respect, but it's all based on this one article and not one single lick of additional evidence. But everyone is running with it and adding their little bit to it. I for one am shocked.

Posted by ucjrdude902 2013-01-08 11:31:26

People, give it up. Hunchback will not becoming to Broadway. It's not a hit for Disney. Let's all move on.

Posted by ACL2006 2013-01-08 12:32:04

still nothing official. and ticketmaster still has tickets on sale through August 18. August 18 seems like a more realistic closing date if it's to happen. no need to keep the theater dark for a year.

Posted by bdn223 2013-01-08 13:16:00

I think the issue most people have with Mary Poppins closing and the way it was leaks including myself, is that it was done with poor taste akin to Bonnie and Clyde's producers telling telecharge to yank ticket sales after December 30, 2011 without notifying the cast, and letting them find out via message boards. We all knew Mary Poppins was going to close in the next year or so to make way for Aladdin since the New Amsterdam is already equipped with all the riggings for flying, but we did not expect it to happen like this. I don't think we have ever hear of a ong running show to closing in March especially when a new tenant is not expected for at least a year. If Disney were to currently annouce a closure for June or August I think we would all be more accepting. Another thing that surprises me is that they are not waiting a year for Newies to establish itself as a long runner if it can, before throwing all of their ad money into Aladdin. We all know that Disney can sit on a show for years and the show can still retain all of its buzz unlike the typical Broadway show, so the fact they are not waiting and working on Aladdin is a surprise especially since it was panned in its out of town tryout.

The only senario I can currently see for Aladdin is Disney pulling a Spiderman on purpose and doing an extra long preview period starting in the fall, closing down post Christmas to rework the show then reopen come March officially opening in April. Just like Spiderman I don't think with the size of special effects they want will be feasible in doing a true out of town tryout because it would be to it being to expensive to install in another theater for a month jus to have to take it down and move it into the New Amsterdam.

Posted by frogs_fan85 2013-01-08 13:24:36

It's probably not official yet because they won't be able to tell the cast until before tonight's show. Then it'll be announced by Disney.

Posted by everythingtaboo 2013-01-08 13:49:29

That just makes a bad problem worse, with cast members saying on social media that they're not closing. It also makes this thread sad that it's been left open, when normally they're yanked immediately for the same reason (cast not notified yet).

Posted by ucjrdude902 2013-01-08 14:24:56

Now there is talk of a new "major" creative partner. Julie Taymor? Jk.

I'd like to see Mulan on Broadway personally.

Posted by Wildcard 2013-01-08 14:46:45

Some new info…

Posted by ucjrdude902 2013-01-08 14:50:45

Good to hear that.

Posted by Jonwo 2013-01-08 14:53:11

I suspected that the Seattle production of Aladdin wasn't going to transfer to Broadway in its current form, it is similar to Aida which had a tryout in Atlanta then reworked then had another tryout in Chicago before transferring to Broadway.

Posted by Skywalker3 2013-01-08 15:02:05

I've had a backstage tour at the Prince Edward theatre London during the Mary Poppins run. And believe me, it was very small and they didn't have that much backstage space.

So I think it's possible the move Mary to the Marquis theatre with this set!

Posted by Thparkaly 2013-01-08 15:19:15

Ashley Brown just posted this on her facebook:

"I've been waiting 2comment on the closing of @MaryPoppins bway until I got the go ahead. As we all assumed it is true.My heart is heavy! But the show had an amazing run and I feel fortunate that I got to start off this amazing journey. I will carry those special memories in my heart forever. Au Revoir!"

Posted by finebydesign 2013-01-08 15:25:17

I'm guessing Poppin's will get an "extension".

Posted by Princeton Returns 2013-01-08 15:25:30

Actually Phantom I wouldn't be so sure on London getting Aladdin, unless they pull something truly special out of the hat. Unlike America, we have versions of Aladdin (ok not the Disney version) performed in panto every Christmas at half the cost of West End prices complete with flying carpets. When Beauty opened in London it suffered some panto comparisons (unfairly in my eyes) and only managed 3 years (i think). The Disney name, while big, is not AS big as in America. The Lion King offers something truly unique in terms of staging and storytelling. Would a family of four spend nearly £400 on tickets to see something not a million miles from what they could see in their local theatre at a fraction of the cost, I'm not so sure.

Posted by Jonwo 2013-01-08 15:29:19

I imagine Disney want Aladdin to be their next big hit both on Broadway and internationally, The Lion King and to an extend Poppins was their last major hit. Newsies, while a hit on Broadway is an unknown property elsewhere so Disney may be a bit cautious to transfer it overseas whereas Aladdin is a known property.

Posted by LizzieCurry 2013-01-08 15:30:21

Interesting:
"My heart is sick for my friends in Mary Poppins. Playbill & Facebook is not the way to find out you are loosing your job."
https://twitter.com/JoshLamon/status/288734342165958656

Posted by AnythingGoes23 2013-01-08 16:12:37

Newsies is West Emd bound for 2014 if all goes to plan and a theatre found

Posted by Jonwo 2013-01-08 16:19:18

'Newsies is West End bound for 2014 if all goes to plan and a theatre found'

That's good to hear, I imagine Disney will want to get the National tour up and running first before concentrating on the West End plus finding a theatre as well.

Posted by TheatreKid3 2013-01-08 16:20:15

Should ALADDIN come to Broadway, I really hope Tartaglia doesn't reprise his role as Genie. He did a good job, but he played Genie as ALADDIN's sassy gay friend - and that isn't "Genie" at all.

'Newsies is West End bound for 2014 if all goes to plan and a theatre found"

^ I really hope this is true, but do you have a source?

Posted by ACL2006 2013-01-08 16:21:03

I'll second what Josh Lamon has said. If Disney had known about this getting leaked yesterday, I imagine they might have told the cast on Sunday. Still wondering when it's exact closing date will be and if Disney would possibly transfer it to a different(slightly smaller) theater.

Posted by TheatreKid3 2013-01-08 16:27:08

Even though Disney is so large they don't have to be concerned with losing the revenue from MARY POPPINS, I still think the show has a few good years left in it. I hate to see it go - and I say that with POPPINS being one of my least favorite Disney shows. If Ashley Brown said it was true on twitter, though, I think all the debate can rest.

I like what the poster a few pages back said about Schumacher giving the press an FU and changing the closing date. This was really handled in poor taste. Though, I have to give Playbill some credit - their article was the most tastefully written - never alluding to the idea POPPINS' closing was a certainty.

Posted by LizzieCurry 2013-01-08 16:31:24

Ashley also retweeted Josh Lamon. Ugh, poor cast.

Posted by finebydesign 2013-01-08 16:41:32

Mary Poppin's can keeps the lights on for sure, but the profits aren't that great for Disney (they're split with CM). That show is going to make a killing in regional productions.

Posted by Kad 2013-01-08 16:56:32

I'm hearing that Poppins will close, the theatre will undergo renovations, and Aladdin will emerge NEXT spring.

Posted by ucjrdude902 2013-01-08 17:04:10

Rumor has it cast meeting called tonight.

Posted by bdn223 2013-01-08 17:08:37

My heart goes out to the cast!! Honestly when Disney did the switcharoo with Beauty and the Beast and The Little Mermaid the entire cast knew well in advance of the closing annoucement except for Annneleise Vanderpool who found out tight right before her first performance, according to Ms. Vanderpool. Beast. Also annouced a July closing in January, 6-7 months vs. less than 2 months for Mary Poppins. I understand Mary Poppins has run half as long as Beauty, but still a long running show deserves a proper send off, and not to be the butt of Reidel's column.

Posted by Tag 2013-01-08 17:15:01

Yes the cast didn't know, but why should they have? It was a leaked story and not initiated by Disney. The cast would have been told if yesterday's announcement was official.

Posted by finebydesign 2013-01-08 17:17:19

Also Disney isn't the only producer here.

Posted by bdn223 2013-01-08 17:25:29

True but i can't see Mr. Makintosh leaking this either especially when he understands the mechanics and personal emotions when it comes to the closing of a long running show. I can only see him accidently leaking this in a Les Miserable movie interview, where he is focused on Les Miserables, that when ge was possibly asked about Broadway and Poppins, the fact that the cast hasn't been informed yet, slipped his mind. The leak was probably an intern, but still.

Posted by ucjrdude902 2013-01-08 17:36:34

A friend of a friend in the ensemble said that apparently the cast was informed to be there an hour before curtain. I'm thinking its either to inform the cast or clear up rumors.

Posted by Kad 2013-01-08 17:37:08

Either way, it's going to be awkward!

Posted by Jonwo 2013-01-08 17:54:09

I agree, it would be unlike Cameron Mackintosh to leak about the closure of a show he's involved in but I'm sure he would be consulted by Disney/Tom Schumacher first about closing the show on Broadway.

It's weird it's not been given a long closing notice, the original London production of Poppins had a six months notice.

Posted by JohnyBroadway 2013-01-08 18:31:38

I do feel bad for all involved, considering the fact it would leak out from Disney. I do hope Schumacher gives the press the big finger.

Posted by TheatreKid3 2013-01-08 18:39:24

IT'S OFFICIAL:

Just announced on MARY POPPINS' Facebook:

"Thank you for giving us six sensational years on Broadway, but the time has come to bid farewell to New York City. We hope to see you one last time before our final performance on March 3rd."

I must say I'm a little surprised.

Posted by blaxx 2013-01-08 18:56:03

I don't know why people feel bad for Gavin Lee. He was involved with this show for over a decade.

I feel worse for Bianca Marroquin. First she gets cast to replace Roger in Evita and the production closed. Then she took Mary Poppins in hopes to be the next Broadway replacement, now she's SOL. She just can't catch a break.

Posted by TheatreKid3 2013-01-08 19:29:24

POPPINS' final performance has no tickets available in the Orchestra or Mezz. They must be making a big event out of it.

I hope they get a special Playbill made for it as well.

Posted by JohnyBroadway 2013-01-08 20:19:10

On the bright side, Disney will have over a year of Aladdin campaigning for Aladdin.

Posted by ucjrdude902 2013-01-08 20:59:40

Cast is hurt and pissed for obvious reasons if you ask me.

Posted by ClumsyDude15 2013-01-08 21:28:33

I'm betting you there'll be a "by popular demand" extension - with either Laura Michelle Kelly or Ashley Brown returning along with Gavin Lee.

Posted by ACL2006 2013-01-08 21:38:35

I just don't see the need to close it March 3 and leave the theater empty for about a year. Hoping ticket demand increases and we see a nice extension.

Posted by ClumsyDude15 2013-01-08 21:42:39

ACL - I totally agree. Why would Disney miss the chance for one more big boost before going out with a bang? Why would Disney let it's own theater sit dark for a YEAR when it could have Mary Poppins run through another summer, get a final hurrah, and then close it later on down the line to make room for Aladdin.

It just baffles me that a company like Disney wouldn't think of such a concept when closing one of it's pretty big hits.

Posted by frogs_fan85 2013-01-08 21:48:20

Perhaps they've planned out a timeline for the renovations and that much lead time is required?

Having worked on long term capital renovations in a theater, I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility that a year is needed (depending on the type of work that is going to be undertaken).

Posted by ClumsyDude15 2013-01-08 21:49:56

That's entirely possible, it just seems really weird.

Posted by Jonwo 2013-01-08 22:15:19

The Prince of Wales Theatre in London closed to be renovated, that took under a year so it's possible but wasn't The New Amsterdam refurbished between The Lion King closing and Mary Poppins opening back in 2006. I do think it's possible it'll extend due to increase in ticket sales, it happened before when Les Mis announced its closure on Broadway only to extend another two months when ticket sales jumped.

Posted by Jonwo 2013-01-08 22:15:19

The Prince of Wales Theatre in London closed to be renovated, that took under a year so it's possible but wasn't The New Amsterdam refurbished between The Lion King closing and Mary Poppins opening back in 2006. I do think it's possible it'll extend due to increase in ticket sales, it happened before when Les Mis announced its closure on Broadway only to extend another two months when ticket sales jumped.

Posted by zamedy 2013-01-08 22:37:14

'It's run will put it right between HAIRSPRAY and AVENUE Q on the list of Broadway's longest running shows.'

Interesting. Who'dda thought.

Posted by beautywickedlover 2013-01-09 00:24:24

I will miss 'Mary Poppins'. I do have high hopes for 'Aladdin' since it is a great film. But I really do hope that it does not turn out to be like 'The Little Mermaid'. It was a mistake to close a timeless musical like 'Beauty and the Beast' for a mess of show, which its only redeemable things were the women originating the roles of Ariel and Ursula.

Posted by JohnyBroadway 2013-01-09 00:35:48

I hope they include " To Be Free"

Posted by Wishing Only Wounds 2013-01-09 01:15:07

Add me to those who think this will be a repeat of the Beauty and The Beast fiasco...

Posted by PlayItAgain 2013-01-09 01:29:02

Aladdin will be open before Xmas... just fyi....

Posted by Tag 2013-01-11 20:07:01

^But not in New York

Posted by beautywickedlover 2013-01-11 20:26:03

^ Where will the next tryout run be?

Posted by JohnyBroadway 2013-01-11 21:10:36

Papermill perhaps? They had such great success with them with Newsies! Or maybe a pre- national tour. Last year our local presenters here in Portland, Or did a survey to patrons about future offerings. Aladdin was one of shows listed in the survey.

Posted by Jonwo 2013-01-11 21:28:34

If it's going to be big scale, it'll unlikely be somewhere like Papermill, They used Seattle for the pilot production but I doubt they'll use the same theatre or city twice, maybe San Francisco, Chicago or Los Angeles.

Posted by Jonwo 2013-01-11 21:28:34

If it's going to be big scale, it'll unlikely be somewhere like Papermill, They used Seattle for the pilot production but I doubt they'll use the same theatre or city twice, maybe San Francisco, Chicago or Los Angeles.

Posted by ClumsyDude15 2013-01-12 03:47:17

So, if Aladdin isn't coming right in, does that mean Poppins is sticking around for a bit, then closing further down the line?

Posted by Phantom of London 2013-01-12 12:08:52

'I just don't see the need to close it March 3 and leave the theater empty for about a year. Hoping ticket demand increases and we see a nice extension.'

I would of thought the producers would of held on until Labor Day, but theatre renovations do take a long time and the nature of the story of Aladdin, will mean the show is quite technical with flying, so Disney would want to be in the theatre quite early to test these out and would need a extensive rehearsal period like Spiderman did.