Printer Friendly - Jim Henson's Four Broadway Project That Never Happened

Jim Henson's Four Broadway Project That Never Happened
Posted by Johnnycantdecide 2013-01-07 12:41:19

My two favorite things are theater and Jim Henson. I love learning the history of both of these things and I love when they intercept with each other.

If anyone is interested, I wrote a little article on my blog about four of Jim's attempts to get something on Broadway or collaborate with Broadway's top talent. It includes planned collaborations with Andrew Lloyd Webber and Sondheim!

I thought I would share if any of you are interested!
http://jonjonlewis.tumblr.com/post/39937659088/jim-hensons-four-broadway-projects-that-never-happened

Posted by darquegk 2013-01-07 15:49:16

This is only a corollary, but there was a production a few years back called "The Muppets: Live!" which was exactly that- a big, elaborate tribute to Muppet history complete with a live Muppet show muppeteered by the official Henson crew, with lots and lots of celebrity cameos.

Jon Voigt showed up in a chicken suit, that eccentric-voiced British comedian who played Leo Bloom in London did a prop-comedy routine, very standard Muppet gold.

Posted by Johnnycantdecide 2013-01-07 15:52:49

Yep! It was at Muppetfest in 2001! If you type "Muppet Show Live" into yourube, you will find it!

Posted by Overkill 2013-01-07 17:39:16

Theatre and Jim Henson are my two passions, as well! I'm so surprised at myself for not knowing about these things, though! Minus Into the Woods - this is news to me. lol Thanks for posting this! I even followed you on tumblr. :)

Jim could've done so much more. I really believe that entertainment on television as a whole would be a lot different today if he were still around. Not to mention some of the amazing things we would have gotten out of the characters that we know and love already... So sad.