Printer Friendly - Samantha Barks as Elphaba?

Samantha Barks as Elphaba?
Posted by TheGingerBreadMan 2013-01-05 11:02:51

I saw that someone photoshopped her green and put it on Instagram. I personally think that this is a great idea. She has the pipes, based on her performance of "On My Own". Thoughts?

Posted by kieranbec 2013-01-05 11:52:42

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFzu6RhRyJo

Posted by bdn223 2013-01-05 11:54:30

Honestly if I were her the last thing I would currently be doing is being a replacement in Wicked. She should be trying to use the buzz around Les Miz to kickstart a film or TV carear and comeback to theater if that does not pan out. Although I think she would make a great Elphaba. If she establishes herself in Hollywood within the next few years and Wicked's producers/creative team finally think its time to for the film adaptation she could be a top contender for Elphaba, since out of all "Hollywood" actresses only Lea Michele and Samantha Barks seem likly enough to have the pipes for the role, and I think we all know who will be easier to work with.

Posted by ucjrdude902 2013-01-05 12:08:13

Well it would be ideal for her to get herself into the movie and turn it into a "And Introducing Samantha Barks as Elphaba" like they did with Dreamgirls. Even though personally, I want Anna Kendrick to play the part.

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2013-01-05 12:15:30

She wouldn't get billed as "and introducing", WICKED wouldn't be her first film.

Posted by Phantom of London 2013-01-05 12:21:36

Wow do you think Samantha is now big enough to take over a starring role in a Broadway show or star in a new show on Broadway?

Posted by EgermanArmfelt 2013-01-05 12:32:13

Samantha as Elphaba and Kendrick as Glinda?

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2013-01-05 12:33:30

Lea Michele as Elphaba and Amanda Seyfried as Galinda

Posted by EgermanArmfelt 2013-01-05 12:35:45

Imagine if they do the live singing like they did for Les Miz. That Elphaba would have a lot of fun singing multiple takes of that F in Defying Gravity

Posted by ucjrdude902 2013-01-05 12:45:45

Mmm, personally I could see Kendrick pulling off the disgruntled and hurt character better then sweet baby faced Barks. Not to mention Anna's bone structure is ridiculous.

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2013-01-05 12:47:25

Yes because, you know the only real requirement to be in any film is bone structure.

Posted by ucjrdude902 2013-01-05 12:48:29

Don't recall saying thatÂ… Sounds to me someone is offended I don't agree with their opinion. Sorry if I think Amanda (who I like) sounds like she's gargling water while she is singing. I was only stating that the green would look well on her in MY opinion.

Posted by Wilmingtom 2013-01-05 12:49:33

No one should be asked to belt an F. Never sing louder than beautiful!

Posted by steven22 2013-01-05 12:52:51

I think she would be great for the movie version of WICKED.

Posted by Gothampc 2013-01-05 13:02:42

I know the material is not popular, but I would like to see her do Giulietta in Aspects of Love.

Posted by little_sally 2013-01-05 13:16:04

I think this is the best suggestion for the role I've heard yet. They could always cast bigger names for Morrible, the Wizard, Fiyero, etc.

Posted by ucjrdude902 2013-01-05 13:22:26

I would still love to see Robin Williams as The Wizard and maybe Shirley Maclaine as Morrible. If not Maclaine I wouldn't mind seeing Helen Miren, Susan Sarandon, Meryl Streep or Glen Close if they go for the big Oscar style movie and not a summer blockbuster.

Posted by faithzilla 2013-01-05 13:46:47

Wow she would make a wonderful Elphaba for the movie. I have to agree though, there's no way she could belt that song over and over for every take. They'd probably be smart to record it in this case.

I don't think that Defying Gravity video is anything special, but that is from 2008. She's obviously a much stronger vocalist now.

Posted by SondheimFan5 2013-01-05 13:46:49

As Stephen Schwartz has said: The future film Elphaba and Galinda are probably in High School right now and we probably haven't even heard of them yet.

Posted by faithzilla 2013-01-05 13:57:11

The problem is, producers and the like are going to want big names, right? Will these future stars have to make a name for themselves in film first?

Posted by little_sally 2013-01-05 15:03:58

I think you could cast unknowns because Wicked is such a recognizable commodity.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2013-01-05 15:08:00

I wish Dreamgirls had never given Jennifer Hudson the idiotic "and introducing" credit.

Posted by faithzilla 2013-01-05 15:10:46

I hope they'll be willing to cast unknowns! If anything they can throw some names into the roles that are slightly easier to sing, like Morrible and The Wizard.

Posted by CHOOKA2 2013-01-05 15:44:17

I agree 'little_sally'--I think 99.9% of people going to see Wicked don't care who is in it-they just want to see the show.

Posted by My Oh My 2013-01-05 16:40:33

Well, they care to see the show...filled with belting Godesses and riffing rifflers. How did Wicked ever get associated with riffing, anyway? I've yet to hear anyone truly riff in that show at all. People are so ignorant about music and anything involving notes and just...ugh, lol.

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2013-01-05 18:00:40

I think you could cast unknowns because Wicked is such a recognizable commodity.

If that were true then Les Miserables, a much more recognizable commodity would have been cast with unknowns.

Posted by ucjrdude902 2013-01-05 18:01:26

How about Dakota Fanning as Glinda and Hailee Steinfeld as Elphaba?

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2013-01-05 18:02:05

I wish Dreamgirls had never given Jennifer Hudson the idiotic "and introducing" credit.

Why? Did it really effect you that much?

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2013-01-05 18:04:18

I agree 'little_sally'--I think 99.9% of people going to see Wicked don't care who is in it-they just want to see the show.

Yes boo boo of course, because you actually went out and took a poll and that's the figure that came up. Uh huh. Sure.

Posted by faithzilla 2013-01-05 19:18:29

The thing about Wicked is that it was a complete phenomenon with young people. I'm currently 20 and I remember the complete fanaticism surrounding it by ALL people- not just the theatre kids. And 70% of these kids could not tell you that it was Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth they were singing along to. And 85% probably couldn't name 10 other musicals. So I have to agree that people of MY generation are going to be seeing it regardless of who's in it.

However, like I said before, they will need to pad a cast of talented unknowns with some big names. They could get relatively unknown actresses for Elphaba and Glinda, but then everyone else needs to be fairly famous.

Posted by DEClarke 2013-01-05 19:27:55

If that were true then Les Miserables, a much more recognizable commodity would have been cast with unknowns.

But the difference is you shouldn't take younger children to LES MIS. You can take a 6-9 year old to WICKED with no fears.

Posted by ucjrdude902 2013-01-05 19:29:27

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there something in the contracts of Menzel and Chenoweth that they got first dibs on the movie if they wanted it. I thought I heard they negotiated this once they were in the show and it "blew up" and a movie was expected to come quickly.

Posted by ljay889 2013-01-05 19:35:15

Well, they care to see the show...filled with belting Godesses and riffing rifflers. How did Wicked ever get associated with riffing, anyway? I've yet to hear anyone truly riff in that show at all. People are so ignorant about music and anything involving notes and just...ugh, lol.

Lol, we finally agree. I've been saying this for years. What they do is not riffing. The one who probably came the closest to riffing the score was Shoshana Bean, and it sounded disastrous, in my opinion. REAL/traditional riffing and melisma can be found in Jazz, R&B, gospel, and soul music. Not the score of WICKED, lol.

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2013-01-05 20:12:37

If you want to hear riffin' on WICKED songs then get Aretha Franklin to record it....she'll riff and melisma that sucka till yo ears bleed!

Posted by ljay889 2013-01-05 20:39:48

Exactly, lol. Or Patti LaBelle.