Printer Friendly - PHANTOM OF THE OPERA SIERRA BOGGESS TICKET FOR SALE

PHANTOM OF THE OPERA SIERRA BOGGESS TICKET FOR SALE
Posted by emmarb 2013-01-01 15:26:26

I have a ticket listed on Stubhub for January 25th -- the night before the big PotO gala. The show stars Sierra Boggess and Hugh Panero. It is Row L center orchestra and listed on Stubhub for only (edit) $185.

If you have an opinion on the price, I'd be happy to hear it.

I am unable to use the ticket due to rehearsals for a show I wasn't cast in at the time I bought the ticket.

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-01 15:34:24

That's a bit above face value, isn't it? Why are you trying to make a profit off selling tickets to theatre lovers? Gross.

Posted by emmarb 2013-01-01 15:39:34

I'm not trying to make a profit. I'm actually getting back exactly what I paid for the ticket. Unfortunately Stubhub takes a commission out of the sale price. So in order not to lose money on the ticket, I have to sell it above what I bought it for.

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-01 15:40:58

You're charging above face value for the ticket. I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to advertise tickets for sale on here above face value. There are many places to sell tickets that don't charge a commission for the listing, message boards being one of them.

Posted by emmarb 2013-01-01 15:42:46

I looked at the guidelines and did not see anything about advertising tickets. Again, I'm not making a profit off of this ticket. I wanted a reliable way to sell the ticket to make sure I didn't get scammed by a random person on a message board.

Posted by frogs_fan85 2013-01-01 15:53:01

Considering that through today Phantom is having a winter sale where orchestra seats are $85-75 depending on the day of the week, you may be hard pressed to get anyone to spend more than double that.

Posted by emmarb 2013-01-01 16:01:58

I wasn't aware of that sale. Thanks for telling me. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I just don't want the ticket to go to waste and since it was a present from my parents, I don't want their money to be wasted.

Posted by frogs_fan85 2013-01-01 16:07:59

You probably will have better luck selling it much closer to the performance date as the availability decreases and the ticket prices are return to their normal levels.

Posted by jimmycurry01 2013-01-01 16:12:03

As much as I love the show, I hate to admit, that is way too expensive for a ticket to Phantom. Start with the face value on the ticket, then take the best offer. If it was a gift, any amount paid is at no loss to you, and better than the ticket going to waste.

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-01 16:14:07

So wait, the ticket was a gift and you're still upcharging for it? Are you planning on giving the money back to your parents? I hope so...

Posted by dramamama611 2013-01-01 16:20:13

The ticket is hers. So would any money she gets from it.

Sheesh.

Posted by emmarb 2013-01-01 16:23:43

Wow, you guys are awfully harsh considering you don't know me or my circumstances.

As I said, the ticket was a gift from my parents. I would obviously give the money back to them or use it to buy a comparable ticket at a time when I can use the ticket. I'm selling the ticket because otherwise it would be an empty seat and (a) a person wouldn't get to see the show and (b) my parents' money would be completely wasted.

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-01 16:42:14

Maybe I'm being harsh, but ticket reselling is one of my biggest pet peeves ever. It's way too common that people get ripped off.

Posted by emmarb 2013-01-01 17:22:16

I'm not ripping anyone off. They're getting what I'm advertising and nothing more, nothing less. They have the choice to buy the ticket or not. Save your preaching for situations where it actually applies instead of attacking other people.

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-01 17:23:24

$195 to see a show that you can see for 70$ is a massive rip-off. But there's a sucker born every minute. I hope you find him.

Posted by emmarb 2013-01-01 17:27:58

It's a center orchestra seat during the gala week. Believe me, if there were $70 tickets for that seat, I'd have found them at the time when the ticket was bought. Thanks for your continued nastiness though; each of your posts bumps up this thread so more people can see it and consider the ticket.

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-01 17:32:06

You are very welcome.

Posted by dramamama611 2013-01-01 17:35:23

Mind you, only one person has been "harsh" on you. Others are just giving you info and here's a little more:

Same performance, same row (albeit not in center orchestra -- but would be the same price) including charges 96 bucks. No code needed.

I wonder where your folks purchased this ticket and how much in fees they paid, if you are only bumping the price to cover the commission StubHub charges. (And then you need to school your parents a bit on where to buy tix.)

I think you will have a hard time selling this as there are plenty of tix available for much less.

Posted by emmarb 2013-01-01 17:42:43

I agree, most have just been trying to be helpful and I have responded as such.

Center Orchestra is more expensive than side orchestra seats. The commission Stubhub takes is quite a bit. Something along the lines of $30, I think. I'm well aware of where to buy tickets cheaply but as it was a gift, they wanted to buy it well in advance and for that specific show because I'm a big Sierra Boggess fan.

As I said above, I ended up being cast in an unexpected show in NY and can't use the ticket anymore.

Posted by justoldbill 2013-01-01 17:47:28

Has Sierra Boggess actually been confirmed for these performances, or is Boggess bogus?

Posted by emmarb 2013-01-01 17:49:19

She's been confirmed for months. She's doing a 6-week run and that week is the beginning of it because of the gala which occurs on January 26th.

Posted by PTOPhan 2013-01-01 20:35:37

Enmarb, you will probably be able to sell the ticket at the price you're seeking. Tomorrow, the Phantom gala sweepstakes ticket winners will be announced. All of the losers will be trying to beg, borrow, or steal a ticket to one of Sierra's performances. As far as the sale for $70, I saw Phantom twice in November ten days apart when I was in New York working on hurricane Sandy relief. The center orchestra seats in rows F and I think J were running about $185 at the box office for a Saturday night and $135 for a Thursday. I'm quite sure that the $70 tickets were for seats towards the back of the theater.

I know that this idea isn't supposed to work, but it may be worth a try: Have you thought of attempting to trade the ticket in? They may be willing to do it at the Majestic box office because you're in the business and because they'll almost definitely be able to sell the seat.

Good luck with the sale and with your new show!

Posted by frogs_fan85 2013-01-01 20:45:33

I'm quite sure that the $70 tickets were for seats towards the back of the theater.

Or the Row A center aisle seat that my friend got for a Friday in February.

Posted by emmarb 2013-01-01 20:45:39

Those were my thoughts as well.

Thank you!

Posted by ArtMan 2013-01-01 21:45:36

Kelly2, you were recently selling promotional items that you probally got for free, on ebay, for a nice profit. For example, the Priscilla pingpong. Don't be such a hypocrite!

Posted by JohnyBroadway 2013-01-01 21:56:20

Who buys full price phantom tickets anymore? Codes have been issued for years.

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-01 22:02:22

...Selling memorabilia that I no longer have room in my home for is a bit different than marking up a ticket by 50$ or more.

Posted by ArtMan 2013-01-01 22:23:08

How so? When I got my Priscilla pingpong, it cost me nothing. (I immediately gave it away to a kid for FREE who would have enjoyed it more). If this promotional memorabilia didn't cost you anything, then any price, especially your prices, is a huge markup. It's not different. Its how you choose to look at it. You're giving the OP a hard time for doing the same thing.

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-01 22:27:02

And unlike personal property, which one is allowed to buy and sell at their discretion, there are laws regarding the markup allowed when reselling tickets. I believe in New York you are only allowed to sell for face value + 20%. Which would put this seat above that minimum. I believe StubHub is exempt for legal reasons I don't claim to know, but if she were selling this ticket as a private citizen in New York, the price she is charging is not even legal.

Posted by frogs_fan85 2013-01-01 22:30:28

The markup percentage law was repealed in New York years ago.

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-01 22:32:08

Well that's my bad then! I was unaware. In general, I am 150% opposed to ticket reselling because I believe it restricts access to entertainment based on who can afford it the most as opposed to who desires to attend. Ticket prices for theatre are unreasonable enough already, to try to use someone's fandom or love of a show to upcharge them makes me upset and very sad.

I'm sorry if anyone feels I'm being harsh, but anyone who has spent a long time seeing live music or theatre will have dealt with the irritation of StubHub and their ilk.

Posted by Marianne2 2013-01-01 22:36:21

^ I agree with you there. It happened with the 12/12/12 concert. People got greedy and were trying to sell some of those tickets for tens of thousands of dollars. I'm 99% sure most of the profit people made from those tickets were not going to Hurricane Sandy relief efforts.

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-01 22:37:58

Marianne2, I had heard that. I overheard someone talking about how they had paid over 2000$ for a ticket on some broker website but it was "totally worth it". I couldn't believe it.

Posted by winston89 2013-01-01 23:58:43

Kelly, I think that you're wrong in that you're giving the OP grief for doing something that you have done yourself. As it has been pointed out, there is nothing wrong from a legal standpoint with the original poster selling the ticket for whatever price he wants to. Just like there is nothing wrong with selling merchandise online or buying it at whatever price you wish.

The markup law in New York is a thing of the past, and the orignal poster is nowhere near the venue so it's not like he or she is breaking the law by selling a ticket right outside the venue.

On a different note, I know that with the 12/12/12 concert, Stubhub was vocal in saying that they were donating any money that they would have made from ticket sales right to the Robin Hood fund. And, that they were encouraging sellers to do the same and there were many who did.

I know that there is nothing against the law right now with reselling tickets in NY state. Sure it sucks that people are price gouging but they are allowed to do so. If you don't like the price of a ticket on stubhub, don't buy it. Just like if you don't like the price to a Broadway show that's being sold on telecharge or Ticketmaster don't buy it. It's your choice.

Posted by Kelly2 2013-01-02 00:27:09

I'm happy to pay full price when the show is worth it. That money goes to the production. Resold tickets, especially at a markup just goes in somebody's pocket. I don't play that game.

I have a similar problem with people stealing cast recordings on the internet and then complaining about shows not being recorded. Perhaps if there was someone buying from the actual point of purchase...

Posted by dramamama611 2013-01-02 05:56:20

Its exactly the same thing. Justify it as you might, but anything you mark up past the purchase price (or free) isn't going into the originators hands, either. Why do YOU deserve the extra money, but not the ticket holder?

ESPECIALLY since she is only adding the stubhub fees onto the price of the ticket. (I'll take her at face value for that.) Just because you can get a similar ticket NOW for less, doesn't mean full price wasn't paid when her parents bought the ticket. And yes SHE is entitled the money from the tickets. IT WAS A GIFT.

Posted by lightguy06222 2013-01-02 13:23:24

good luck.

i got a ticket day-of for the 10,000th performance. for free.

granted, I guess this is a bigger milestone. but I'm sure if I wanted, I could find a ticket... for WAY less than what you're asking.