Printer Friendly - Other Desert Cities- Mark Taper Forum

Other Desert Cities- Mark Taper Forum
Posted by TheatreFreak05 2012-12-28 19:29:26

I don't know if anyone still looks on this board (sad) but I just saw Other Desert Cities last night and I wanted to say: if you're in the L.A. area PLEASE go see this wonderful production! There's one more weekend left and I might go see it again. It really is a beautiful play with some amazing performances.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2012-12-28 19:30:32

A couple people still look at the board.

Posted by AC126748 2012-12-28 19:39:42

Wish I could see it--the cast looks great.

Posted by someone.else's.story2 2012-12-29 16:56:24

Going next week and I can't wait!

Posted by rosscoe(au) 2012-12-29 20:48:30

Saw it last weekend, a great cast. Enjoyed the show very much. About to head out to see Anything Goes.

Posted by someone.else's.story2 2012-12-30 16:39:40

Have fun! I really enjoyed it :)

Posted by TheatreFreak05 2012-12-30 16:44:44

Oh whoops... I thought I put this on the L.A. board haha

Posted by Auggie27 2012-12-30 19:33:25

I have a friend who adored it, and went back a second time. I hear the company is extraordinary, new things found, and that Jeannie Berlin is terrific in the Light part.

Posted by DAME 2012-12-30 19:59:05

I hated it. But other wi me really loved it. However that is what I get for going to a matinee in LA.

Posted by someone.else's.story2 2012-12-31 10:28:47

Is there an LA board? I didn't even know that one existed!?!

Posted by Idiot 2013-01-02 03:53:43

I'm with you Dame. It was bad. Even when picturing Channing and Lavin, I can't help but think that the flaws in the writing were evident in NY as well -- but this misdirected version accentuated the problems with the script.

I'm wondering if anyone but Albee should be allowed to write dysfunctional families anymore.

Posted by chrisampm2 2013-01-02 04:09:32

TheatreFreak, since you said PLEASE, I went to Other Desert Cities. I liked it much until the confession. The actors are fine. A solid production. Thanks for the heads up.

Posted by mallardo 2013-01-02 12:20:37

I liked it too - the second act saved it - although Jeannie Berlin was not on the same level as the other actors. Robin Weigert and Robert Foxworth were the standouts.

Posted by AC126748 2013-01-02 13:24:01

I'm surprised to read so many criticisms of Berlin. On paper, she seems perfect.

Posted by Idiot 2013-01-02 16:38:09

Berlin was just.... odd. Honestly, it kind of works for the character. But since the playwright decided to have her sit at a table for most of the second act with one line, who can blame her?

Posted by nealb1 2013-01-02 18:20:01

I'll be seeing the show on Sunday night, the closing performance. Really looking forward to finally seeing it. In all my many travels to NYC every year, I just never saw it. You try to see everything on a theatre trip, but just can't.

Posted by Kad 2013-01-02 18:22:42

Idiot, the faults of the text were all-too-apparent to me in NY. Even Judith Light couldn't make me turn a blind eye.

Posted by Idiot 2013-01-02 20:17:53

^ The confirmation is appreciated Kad.

Posted by keb2 2013-01-04 16:49:06

I liked Jeannie Berlin, I thought she was quite funny in the role, but it was difficult to understand her at times.

Posted by brettarnett 2013-01-04 16:57:49

Last friday, the 28th. A cell phone went off during Act 1, maybe even two times I don't remember but Robert Foxworth came back on stage to scold the audience about turning your cell phone off. Initially I thought he was going to pull a Lupone as he kept breaking character and angrily staring into the audience. It was at a crucial moment sadly when JoBeth's Character that she will basically never talk or see her daughter if she publishes the book. I had read the play last year and enjoyed it on stage. It took me a while to warm up to Robin Weigert's interpretation of her role as I didn't imagine it as "nerdy" (that's the only way I can think to describe it). But I felt like she kind of over did the crying at the 2nd act reveal as I, nor anyone who was with me could hear what anyone else was saying.

Posted by someone.else's.story2 2013-01-05 12:51:50

I have been excited to see this for so long and I have to admit, I was a bit underwhelmed. I found Weigert rather annoying and never warmed up to her. To me, Foxworth and Weston were the standouts.

I felt it was an okay script, but not the marvel it has been touted as. I kept imagining (and wishing) for Channing. And, I wasn't a hug fan of the direction. Wish I could have seen the original as I may have liked it better. Sorry to be a downer...I really wanted to,love it, but I just didn't.

Posted by My Oh My 2013-01-05 13:24:31

The L.A. board is a ghost town. I didn't know about it until about a year ago but don't even take a look anymore because it's depressing seeing threads created 2 years ago at the top, lol.