Printer Friendly - Equity Question

Equity Question
Posted by dramamama611 2012-12-22 13:21:04

With a trend seeming to develop of touring productions making a stop on B'way, I was wondering: Does anything about their contract change? Is it just considered "another stop"? Or do they re-negotiate a contract since they are now "on broadway"? Lots of the actors seem to add in their bio that this is their b'way debut -- so it just makes me wonder.

Thanks in advance to anyone that knows! (And apologies if this has been asked -- I couldn't find anything in the search)

Equity Question
Posted by julesboogie 2012-12-22 14:34:24

Good question. I would assume it would be in the best interest of the producers to have them sign a broadway contract. Since this is the point of origin for most tours, producers then would be able to pass on paying per diem.

I also would assume that equity would not let people work in broadway houses for... lets say SETA contract prices (less than half). Which is what most tours are out on these days.

Equity Question
Posted by matineeidol2013 2012-12-22 20:42:42

To my knowledge, contracts are re-negotiated for a Broadway tour stop.

I remember reading the casting call when the Jekyll and Hyde tour was announced; if I remember correctly the call said that when the show stopped in NYC, pay was bumped up to the Equity Broadway Contract minimum. This leads me to believe contracts are completely re-negotiated for a Broadway stop on a tour.

Equity Question
Posted by AEA AGMA SM 2012-12-23 01:35:59

A full renegotiation of the contract would not necessarily need to take place. Rather there would most likely be an additional rider that, depending on the foresight of the producers, may even be negotiated and signed at the time of the initial contract signing. Additionally there are clauses already in pkace in both the Tiered Production and SETA contracts that cover a "stop" on Broadway, essentially bringing anyone who is making below Production contract minimums up to that pay level. I also believe that the actors do not participate in profit overages while they are on Broadway, since they are essentially on the full production contract for that length of time (but I would need to double check that before I would say it with absolute certainty)

Equity Question
Posted by dramamama611 2012-12-23 01:41:24

Hmmm, interesting AEA. I KNEW you'd be able to shed some light on this -- thanks for taking the time to answer.

Equity Question
Posted by AEA AGMA SM 2012-12-23 02:07:36

Always happy to help

Equity Question
Posted by bdn223 2012-12-23 11:30:52

When the Hair tour stopped on Bway, the NYTIMES reported no additional capital needed to raised and that the actors did sign new contracts for the run, but that production was also just a stop on the tour, so for shows like Bring it On and Jeckyll and Hyde it may be different since they were "sit down" stops at the end of their respective tours.

Equity Question
Posted by PReeves2 2012-12-24 01:08:34

wonder what happened with Fela! then? Broadway, then tour, then back to Broadway as a stop on tour.

Equity Question
Posted by PReeves2 2012-12-24 01:08:40

wonder what happened with Fela! then? Broadway, then tour, then back to Broadway as a stop on tour.

Equity Question
Posted by dramamama611 2012-12-24 06:18:05

Off B'way -- One Contract
B'way -- 2nd Contract
Tour -- 3rd contract, with the provision AEA discussed that would cover a b'way stop.

Equity Question
Posted by tourboi 2012-12-24 13:33:43

Also, under some contracts, if you play your point of origin, they're not required to pay you per deum. So renegotiating to a Broadway contract to avoid paying per deum wouldn't make sense and would likely cost even more.