Printer Friendly - EVITA closing - producers Epic Fail

EVITA closing - producers Epic Fail
Posted by chernjam 2012-12-17 16:41:48

Was really disappointed reading the "planets couldn't align" to recast the show, so we have to close. Is that one of the stupidest excuses or what? Didn't the producers know months (years?) ago how long their leads were contracted for? I mean, we had to wait for Ricky Martin to be available before we could get this revival in the first place.

The sad thing was, I was waiting to see the show when the leads had left. At $100 a pop, hearing mixed reviews on the leads (Elena and Ricky particularly) I figured, I bought the Broadway recording, so I'd wait to see new cast members for my first visit to Evita.

Well, I just bought tix for early January to see it before it closes. What a wasted opportunity on the part of the producers though.

Posted by newintown 2012-12-17 16:43:29

That's the way it goes, Chantelle. It had a good run, and something else will get a run now. Get your tickets early.

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-17 16:53:33

Why is everyone so obsessed with analyzing the show's decision to close? Seriously, seems like BWW has done a thousand stories about dream casting and gossip lately. Shows close, sometimes casting doesn't work out. C'est la vie.

Posted by little_sally 2012-12-17 17:00:30

Kelly, people are probably disappointed because they were looking forward to who would be cast as replacements. I kind of am but I don't really care about the show closing.

Posted by dramamama611 2012-12-17 17:04:51

Epic fail? In what way? Do you know what their advance sales looked like? Nope. They do. Do you know WHEN they began trying to put together replacements? Nope. But I'm sure they didn't wait until last week.

It comes to this: if they don't feel they are going to make money, it's not worth staying open. Sure, they MIGHT have been able to make a run of it with nobodies -- but that is not terribly likely.

Posted by followspot 2012-12-17 17:08:14

So chernjam, even though you said this on June 26:

"I had pre-ordered the CD (not home, so haven't received it yet) and after reading comments on here for the last few weeks, I wasn't as excited about it. Especially since I was underwhelmed by the 2006 recording. But I've been listening to the stream on AOL all night and really can't wait to see it now...I really love the new orchestrations. Elena sounds great, much better than the live clips I've seen on TV. Martin doesn't sound as edgy as I've come to expect for Che, but he's not bad."

...and this on July 2:

"Been listening to the CD all weekend. I enjoyed it from the stream, but since hearing it on my bose speaker, its been even better...Elena sounds even stronger than she did on the 2006 recording. Martin - he's grown on me, he doesn't sound as edgy as others I've heard (but I take it thats because the production has changed Che's character). The new orchestrations really transformed the score to me."

...you wanted to wait to see the show after Roger and Martin ended their runs the following year because you heard "mixed reviews on the leads (Elena and Ricky particularly)"? And this was somehow the producers' fail?

Huh?

Posted by bwayphreak234 2012-12-17 17:32:58

I'm disappointed, but it had a fairly good run and made some money, and I'm sure it will do well on tour.

Posted by BroomstickBoy 2012-12-17 17:49:16

You've had a good run, I'm sure he enjoyed you. Don't act sad or surprised, let's be friends civilized.

Posted by chernjam 2012-12-17 18:12:54

wow followspot dont know if I should be freaked out over someone paying so close attention to the few times I post or what...

Yes, it was true, I like the Broadway cast recording a great deal. And had planned to see it over the summer. A couple of friends had seen Evita when Ricky was out (I think they saw Max von Essen) and talked about what an improvement he was over when they had seen it with Ricky Martin. As for Elena, there seemed to be a great deal of criticism that her voice wasn't nearly as strong as it once was. So I figured that the broadway recording was good at presenting this cast and was looking forward to seeing who they were going to bring in. Even if they were "unknowns" that can often be a better move than going with a "name."

I'm not a star-struck individual... I'm a fan of the score/show. Don't see how this somehow makes my earlier comments somehow invalid.

Posted by South Fl Marc 2012-12-17 18:15:24

It had a nice run and now it's closing and now a new show can go in. That's the way it should be. The same production should not be open 20 - 30 years. It turns Broadway into Disneyland.

Posted by followspot 2012-12-17 19:30:59

Don't be freaked out, chernjam — all I did was click on your Profile and those two quotes popped up first. Didn't understand why you felt it was an "Epic Fail" on the producers' part to not risk continuing with unknowns after a successful year-long run with marquee names. Seemed even more strange when the last time you posted it was to praise Roger and Martin. But I get it. I kind of did the same thing with Anything Goes — Foster and Grey seemed adequate, but it was a big-ticket show and I decided to wait and see if anyone better eventually replaced them. Finally broke down and saw it with Foster and Grey. Wished I'd waited.

Cheers!

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-12-17 19:32:25

It was an EPIC FAIL because now he can't see it with other actors.

Also, there's an epic lack of punctuation fail in the title of this thread.

Posted by chernjam 2012-12-17 21:46:59

yeah I guess I just find it odd, Evita has been grossing over $600,000 the entire run (even at that lower end when Martin was out) wasn't it kind of short sighted to not have lined people up by now? I mean, I remember Sunset Blvd when Glen Close left - Betty Buckley held her own for a good while. Sure it wasn't the sell out it was, but it did well... and had the production costs not been so outrageous to begin with, the show would've recouped (I think it ended up returning 90% of the investment)

To announce just a few weeks ago that Evita would keep running and then say "we can't find replacements" - I don't know, it just seems bizarre to me.

Just listening to Idina singing Dont Cry for me today really blew me away. And the thought of Sierra and ramin, that would have been amazing

Posted by evic 2012-12-18 00:55:48

Plain and simple, this production stunk to high heaven. It wouldn't matter if they got The King and Queen of Romania to replace. Ricky and Elena were awful and miscast. The original had so many brilliant moments and intelligent subtext- the opening sequence, revolving door,rocking chairs, separate bedrooms for the Perons and numerous others. This had none and some of the direction was laughable. They ran out of latino tourists who wanted to see Ricky. Buenos Noches y Gracias. Y ahora- AL FUERA!!!!!!!! Mr. Martin- King of Broadway??????? More like the King of the Mickey Mouse Club with his ridiculous smiling throughout the show.

Posted by CHOOKA2 2012-12-18 01:55:43

I'm new to making a comment here but do the producers or actually people who know what went/goes on-ever tell the 'real' reason for things?How does one find out the truth or is everything speculation?

Posted by CurtainPullDowner 2012-12-18 02:26:31

Everything you read here is the truth.

I think the problem here and with other star-driven recent revivals is the director failed big time. If the production was great and got people excited about the production along with the stars (King Ricky, Harry Potter and Just Jack!) Then the show would attract Talent and audiences.
We have NO good musical directors with a vision.
It's a different case but as great as Channing was in HELLO DOLLY, the Show was exciting and had a healthy run AC (After Carol).
And PHANTOM runs AC (After Crawford).

Posted by Caring Soul 2012-12-18 18:51:08

There are some winners in the equation, such as Mr. Martin who has enjoyed a bit of a career boost and will be developing a TV deal. As for the producers, they managed to put on a successful run on Broadway, which is no easy feat. It may well be a feather in their cap that they did not drag the thing out forever with a parade of lesser names.

Posted by blaxx 2012-12-18 20:50:19

I'm disappointed, but it had a fairly good run and made some money

It actually lost money.

Posted by chernjam 2012-12-18 22:01:13

blaxx - they haven't determined whether they will recoup or not. Supposedly that was one of the reasons for closing is that if the end of December/January is particularly strong and without risking a re-investment of new cast rehersals/marketing/etc they could come out ahead...

Posted by blaxx 2012-12-18 22:56:29

Still, no recoupment until there is. Right now it is just wishful thinking.

Posted by Movidude742 2012-12-19 10:55:00

If anyone wants to know the issues with this production I point you to spotify and the Forbidden Broadway Evita number form the current production, called Livin' Evita Loca. Covers everything from the world's cheeriest Che Guevara to the fact that The dress gets more applause than Elena does

Posted by CAX 2012-12-19 14:44:17

If only they'd been able to arrange this stunt performance at the end of each show...

Posted by RippedMan 2012-12-19 20:33:42

Saw the show today. I thought the production was pretty - the sets and lighting were top notch. But it just felt.... I don't know. Lacking. Ricky Martin made no impression. I would think almost a year into his run he would have become more comfortable in the role but he wasn't making any choices, and his "Oh What a Circus" felt super slow.

Elena wasn't awful, but def. took some getting use to. Her "There is No one, no one at all...never has been..." bit with Ricky was just awful. She was out of key and their voices did not sound good together.

I get why they chose her, but at the same time, the producers failed to realize that with the success of Wicked and even to some extent Book of Mormon, Broadway is now catering to a certain vocal type. We expect super strong precise singers because of American Idol, etc. So when she can't hit a note, or has some crazy vibratto, it sort of irritates a lot of people. I thought she was fine in the role, but by the end of the show I kept wanting to hear Rachel Potter sing something.

The choreography and the way they used the ensemble was really great, and I loved seeing how the set changed and moved.

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-19 20:37:53

"We expect super strong precise singers because of American Idol, etc. So when she can't hit a note, or has some crazy vibratto, it sort of irritates a lot of people"

No words for how much I hate this trend. It is not healthy or normal to have girls scream-belting Fs 8 shows a week and is a huge part of why we've seen so many actresses who take on shows like WICKED develop serious vocal problems.

Give me someone who I believe disappears into the character and whose voice is suited to the role over some screamy belty chick any day.

Posted by RippedMan 2012-12-19 21:14:27

I'm not pro or con, I'm just saying I could see so many people getting agitated with Elena R because her vocals were different and not standard. It's weird people loved her in London, and hated her here.

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-19 21:15:11

I know, RippedMan, just one of my pet peeves. I personally enjoyed Elena and found Ricky Martin to be the weak link.

Posted by BroomstickBoy 2012-12-19 21:40:09

Her voice has character. That's the point.

She's doing the best she can with a score by a composer who is one of many who hates singers, to an audience that prefers singers over actual well-rounded performers who ACT A SONG.

Posted by RippedMan 2012-12-19 23:39:07

But that's why makes musical theater great. When you meld the two together. A great singer who can act a song. Like Patti Lupone. She gave those songs power. I recently heard her sing "Rainbow High" at her 54 Below concert and she was astounding even now. Whereas Elena R just didn't have that oomph I wanted. And at times I found her acting to be so staged considering she's been doing the show for so long. Like when she goes up the staircase with Peron and they're going every few steps and stopping and "kissing." There was just no passion there, no spark, no nothing. She wasn't even having fun with it. Just hitting her marks.

Posted by CHOOKA2 2012-12-20 01:15:15

Am I the only person who doesn't care if a song is transposed lower to fit the register of someone who is 'perfect' for that role without having to screech? Why is yelling,bellowing,screaming the new way to sing? Maybe offensive,but these reality singing shows 'educate' an audience to scream back everytime someone goes above a middle c or wiggles their arse.I saw Patti play Evita in Sydney-all I can remember is how she took her curtain call bow[which was very balletic]-not the voice.Saw Elena in London-remember everything about her-magnetic/hypnotic performance.

Posted by RippedMan 2012-12-20 01:20:45

Maybe she's hypnotic when she's playing to a crowd that adores her.

Posted by My Oh My 2012-12-20 02:33:44

I love Elena. She is a real triple threat. Her Fantine in the Argentinian production of Les Mis is one of my favorites. The gal could sing beautifully, and I agree she has presence and star quality. But judging by the reviews, she isn't quite such a good match for the demands required for the role of Eva Peron. If so, then she is not alone, lol. It's a tough role.

Posted by THDavis 2012-12-20 11:13:45

I really admired Roger as Eva. I think her dancing was very sexy and her commanding stage presence was great for the role. Personally, I thought her acting was superb and she really helped me feel for this character (although I think she probably gave more truth to the role which lost some of the affection one might feel toward Eva. Maybe not.)

Either way, the only reason I'm upset this is closing is because so many talented performers could have tackled these huge roles and a lot of us wanted to see that. It's not every day you get to see an actress you really admire belt out "A New Argentina."