Printer Friendly - The Other Place

The Other Place
Posted by uncageg 2012-12-12 16:57:30

Attended the first preview ast night. Looked for a thread but couldn't find one in search.

Laurie Metcalf is giving an incredible performance. What makes it better is that the show itself is good and has a wonderful cast. I was riveted for 80 minutes. Really like what they do for walk-in. The ushers were hving a time of it trying to stop people from walking into the theater.

The Other Place
Posted by SonofRobbieJ 2012-12-12 17:03:49

I just grabbed a ticket on TDF for next Wednesday. I had the honor of seeing her do Long Day's Journey in London this year. She's just ferocious on stage and I'm so looking forward to this.

The Other Place
Posted by uncageg 2012-12-12 17:31:11

Sonof, she left us breathless. She has to be emotionally wiped out after every show. It is just amazing how naturally she does what she does. I don't want to give anything away for those who haven't seen it. And get there when they open the inside doors to the theater.

The only problem was the sound, but it was the first preview and I am sure that will be adjusted. Had to strain to hear at times.

Very cool set and visuals also. Love what they do with the set mear the end. She has a Tony nomination wrapped up.

The Other Place
Posted by iluvtheatertrash 2012-12-12 18:02:16

Very curious to hear about this pre-show business. I saw it off-Broadway and was blown away. I wonder how different it is...

The Other Place
Posted by uncageg 2012-12-12 18:11:34

***POSSIBLE SPOILER***

This may be how it has been done..when you walk in, she is sitting in a chair center stage. Just watch her.

The Other Place
Posted by WhizzerMarvin TrinaJasonMendel 2012-12-12 19:28:32

I saw it last night too, and saw it off-Broadway as well. The text seemed exactly the same, and so did the physical production. What has gotten better, if you are willing to believe me, is Metcalf's performance. She was damn near perfect before and now is impossibly brilliant. A fearless performer if there ever was one.

I was actually exhausted and cranky when I went last night, and although the show is far from a lighthearted affair Metcalf's performance was like a balm for my spirits.

I do like the play, and in fact I preferred it more on second viewing. Off-Broadway it felt like the play was written as an acting showcase for a talented leading lady. Last night I was more involved with the story and the beauty of Metcalf's performance felt more in tandem with the text. This is not just an exercise to watch an actress lose her mind.

Robbie- I'm insanely jealous of you having seen her Long Day's Journey, and as good as she is in this I wish they transferred that instead, if for no other reason than the selfish fact that I wanted to see it.

The Other Place
Posted by WiCkEDrOcKS 2012-12-12 19:43:19

Wait, what happens pre-show?

The Other Place
Posted by WhizzerMarvin TrinaJasonMendel 2012-12-12 19:54:38

When you walk in the theater Metcalf is seated in a chair, legs crossed and waiting. I don't think she fidgeted once, but her expression is anxious and troubled. It sets an ominous mood.

The Other Place
Posted by WiCkEDrOcKS 2012-12-12 19:57:20

Interesting. I'm really intrigued by this show, even though I know next to nothing about it. Very excited to see Metcalf.

The Other Place
Posted by tobiasragg 2012-12-12 20:03:00

So unbelievably excited to see this in Jan!

The Other Place
Posted by jdrye222 2012-12-13 02:53:41

I saw this off-broadway, and I thought Metcalf was absolutely stunning. If she does not win a Tony for this, I will be very surprised. And yes, I don't understand how she maintains that kind of focus for the entire 30 minutes before the show "starts".

I'm excited to see this incarnation. I found the play to be so interesting, but I thought that the supporting actors were very very weak, especially the younger girl, who I guess is a different actress this time around?? (Very wise choice if so).

I love that one of the "buzz" plays this season is a brand new playwright we've never heard of, even if the play is not perfect. I expect no matter what the reception is, we will be hearing from Sharr White more and more.

The Other Place
Posted by iluvtheatertrash 2012-12-13 09:50:33

Thank you. I do remember that now, from the Off-Broadway incarnation. Very excited to see this again. Her performance is one for the history books.

The Other Place
Posted by uncageg 2012-12-13 13:46:33

Whizz, she does move but you have to catch it. She actually has some device in her hand that she is looking at and using but only for a short bit. She also shifts in the chair but seems to end up back in the same position she was in when the doors opened.

The Other Place
Posted by iluvtheatertrash 2012-12-13 14:09:40

If I recall correctly, she was looking at her Blackberry when at the Lortel.

The Other Place
Posted by uncageg 2012-12-13 14:14:28

That makes sense. She was doing something with it and I thought it was a calculator at first. I think she even went into her bag at one point. It was brief though. It was interesting to hear the gasps and the conversation falling silent when the doors first opened to those who were already waiting. It set the mood.

The Other Place
Posted by WiCkEDrOcKS 2013-01-04 23:16:38

I saw this tonight and I liked it a lot. Is it heavy-handed? Absolutely. Melodramatic? Definitely. But for some reason, it got to me and struck a nerve in me. I cried at the end, and I didn't feel as though my tears were being wrung out of me. I felt like the prior hour and fifteen minutes had really earned my reaction. This is mainly due to Ms. Metcalf's simply faultless performance. This is a marathon for her and she kills it; she is exceptionally wonderful in this show. The rest of the cast, truly, is great as well. They are able to take some scenes and lines that are admittedly cliche and almost make them sound legitimate.

It's not a phenomenally well-written show, but it's a phenomenally performed and mounted one, with strong direction from Mantello. I enjoyed it quite a lot. A lot more than I expected to.

The Other Place
Posted by Mr Roxy 2013-01-04 23:45:41

Seeing it tomorrow night. The opening is like Red was with Molina sitting in a chair. Last saw Metcalf in Brighton Beach.

The Other Place
Posted by newintown 2013-01-05 10:05:34

It's a good play with great performances. I enjoyed it enormously both downtown and up. The recasting works well (although I enjoyed the downtown cast as much).

The Other Place
Posted by OrdinaryJukebox 2013-01-05 10:54:50

Must rush this! Must rush this soon!!!

The Other Place
Posted by little_sally 2013-01-05 15:45:07

I really, really need to see this soon.

The Other Place
Posted by GlindatheGood22 2013-01-05 16:25:50

Do we think Metcalf can beat Amy Morton come Tony time?

The Other Place
Posted by uncageg 2013-01-05 21:36:34

I now have to see Amy Morton because at this point I am thinking, just give Metcalf the Tony and be done with it.

The Other Place
Posted by bjh2114 2013-01-05 22:11:17

Metcalf will definitely be nominated, but The Other Place closes and The Assembled Parties opens at the Friedman in March. Have people won after their shows closed in February? Absolutely. But in most of those cases, those people were the sole, heavily favored frontrunners. Julie White over Angela Lansbury (Julie had rave reviews and was the breakout stat that year) and Cynthia Nixon for Rabbit Hole (in a year that saw no other women really shine post-February) are the obvious examples. But Amy Morton is giving such an equally blazing performance as Metcalf that if Virginia Woolf is still running, Morton definitely has the edge. But let's not also forget Cecily Tyson who could prove a true contender as well.

The Other Place
Posted by FrontRowFirst 2013-01-06 15:07:40

Just got back from a trip to NYC (saw eight shows). The Other Place was definitely at the top of my favorites list. When the show concluded, I just had to sit in my seat and settle back into real life because the show carried that much power. Laurie Metcalf is a true force on that stage.

In a stroke of luck, there was a talkback after the show and all four actors participated. The younger actress, Zoe Perry, took over the role for the Broadway run and was also jut great in the show. Really caught my attention. In the course of the talkback, Laurie Metcalf pointed out how much she enjoyed acting alongside her real life daughter - which was a surprise for the audience as the playbill mentions nothing about the relationship of Metcalf and Perry as mother and daughter.

I highly recommend checking this one out.

The Other Place
Posted by Owen22 2013-01-06 17:27:59

Laurie Metcalf...Oh. My. God.

!!!!!!

The Other Place
Posted by macnyc 2013-01-06 18:57:57

I agree, Laurie Metcalf, OMG! Such a devastating performance. She left me and my friend in tears. However, having been fortunate enough (thanks to BWW recommendations) to also have seen Virginia Woolf, I don't think anything will take away the Tony from Amy Morton. Not. Going. To. Happen. Two consummately talented actresses. A delight to behold.

The Other Place
Posted by wonkit 2013-01-06 19:09:20

Saw Metcalf in LONG DAY'S JOURNEY in London. Sobbing at the end of the performance. Looking forward to seeing hr in this play SOON.