Printer Friendly - GLENGARRY GLEN ROSS Reviews

GLENGARRY GLEN ROSS Reviews
Posted by LimelightMike 2012-12-08 01:10:38

Today is Saturday, December 8, marking the official opening night performance of the Broadway revival of David Mamet's Glengarry Glen Ross, the Pulitzer Prize-winning play about sharks in a real-estate office, at the Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre, having begun previews on October 19, during the astute direction of Daniel Sullivan.

The cast is led by Al Pacino with John C. McGinley, David Harbour, Richard Schiff, Jeremy Shamos, Bobby Cannavale and Murphy Guyer.

Here's how the modern classic is billed: "The stakes are high at a fly by night Chicago real estate office: 1st prize — a new Cadillac, 2nd prize — a set of steak knives, 3rd prize — you're fired!," according to production notes. "Glengarry Glen Ross slices to the core of the American dream and exposes the depths people will go to stay on top of the game. Mamet himself worked in a real estate office in Chicago in 1969 setting up appointments for salesmen, and the play is influenced by the cutthroat politics he encountered."

Posted by CapnHook 2012-12-08 01:12:52

Should mention that reviews won't be printed until Monday.

Posted by Mike3 2012-12-08 22:21:09

Just curious...why no notices until Monday if the show opens tonight?

Posted by Mike3 2012-12-08 22:21:10

Just curious...why no notices until Monday if the show opens tonight?

Posted by wecrazy 2012-12-08 22:28:49

Newsday is positive

Posted by wecrazy 2012-12-08 22:31:27

Ben Brantley is Negative

Posted by wecrazy 2012-12-08 22:35:27

Not as much a review as a commentary and negative complaint.

Posted by ontheboards2 2012-12-08 22:44:17

Rather Newsday is positive

Posted by April Saul 2012-12-08 22:48:44

I just read the Newsday review, and didn't think it was negative. But Brantley's sure was!

I have to admit that I enjoyed both the Liev Schreiber/Alan Alda revival and this Cannavale/Pacino one, but Ben makes some good points...it is less an ensemble piece with Al involved, and Shelly is so disheveled that it's hard to believe he was ever a "machine."

Still...Cannavale and Pacino were just so damn watchable!

Posted by wecrazy 2012-12-08 22:53:00

April, i found the Alda/Schreiber production riveting.

Posted by kidbroadway2 2012-12-08 23:34:04

The Alda/Schreiber version I saw was imo better than the film.

Posted by NewYorkTheater 2012-12-09 02:11:41

Posted by winston89 2012-12-09 03:26:01

Mike3,

Capnhook meant that they wouldn't be printed till Monday, they would still be available online.

The New York Times releases some of its Sunday only sections on Saturday to those who get home delivery. This includes the arts section and this means that even though the play opened on a Saturday, the arts section for Sunday was already out by the time opening came. So, the next available day for it to show up in print will be Monday.

I am not sure if other papers do anything similar.

Posted by Knowitall 2012-12-09 19:07:02

Jeffrey Richards has lost it

Posted by jas1234 2012-12-09 20:41:09

What does that mean? I understand the investment is almost recouped and investors have received 90% already. The real failure of Richards and his partner Jerry Frankel is "Virginia Woolf" which hasn't found an audience and looks to be a failure.
That's the one on which they may have lost it.

Posted by RippedMan 2012-12-10 14:21:28

I'm sure they take on shows like this so they can in turn produce artsy shows like Virginia Woolf that are more of a risk.

Posted by aaronb 2012-12-17 06:22:39

Thought the show was brilliant. Second only this year to DEATH OF A SALESMAN: "With papery skin and thinning gray hair, through which he is constantly running his fingers, Mr. Pacino often behaves like an elderly man at a bus station who has forgotten where he is and where he’s going ... Later, when he briefly believes he is back, he skips across the stage, wagging his tongue and narrating 'war stories' with the fervor of an expert raconteur. 'I’m eating her crumb cake,' he tells Roma (Bobby Cannavale), lapping up the mimed dessert as well as his colleague’s enthusiasm."