Printer Friendly - Pittsburgh Cancels

Pittsburgh Cancels "Catch Me" Tour Engagement.
Posted by sbflyfan 2012-12-06 22:01:22

3 weeks before it opens, due to "low ticket sales."

This is ridiculous. Pittsburgh was the ONLY city in the area getting this tour. Was really looking forward to it.

http://trustarts.culturaldistrict.org/production/34785/catch-me-if-you-can

Pittsburgh Cancels
Posted by Idiot 2012-12-06 22:02:40

It's already with discounters here in Los Angeles. I admit that I have no plans to see it.

Pittsburgh Cancels
Posted by Franciouqu 2012-12-06 22:08:12

Without Norbert Leo Butz would even be worth seeing, saw a clip of the guy in the role and he looks boring

Pittsburgh Cancels
Posted by Huss417 2012-12-06 22:17:06

Really?

Pittsburgh Cancels
Posted by Sinfonian4life 2012-12-06 22:18:31

Really sad as I was looking forward to see it with this new cast. I understand why they did it.

Pittsburgh Cancels
Posted by bobs3 2012-12-06 22:36:54

Nowadays any show that runs a month or two on Broadway, they take out on tour with an inferior cast and low budget set design. Can't they just let sleeping dogs lie?

Now that a LEAP OF FAITH and CHAPLIN tour are being planned, what's next SCANDALOUS and GHOST: THE MUSICAL?

Pittsburgh Cancels
Posted by aasjb4ever 2012-12-06 22:40:19

^Ghost actually announced a tour.

Pittsburgh Cancels
Posted by Markecib 2012-12-06 22:40:21

It's because the PSO did not market this show. It was not part of the Broadway Series. It was also at an awful time of year. This falls on the Symphony for trying to start something and it not working.

Pittsburgh Cancels
Posted by bk 2012-12-07 01:25:19

Market all you like - it wasn't a success on Broadway so what on Earth would lead them to believe it would be a success elsewhere?

Pittsburgh Cancels
Posted by ClydeBarrow 2012-12-07 01:31:33

Just because something isn't a hit on Broadway doesn't mean it won't play well in other markets. Just sayin'...

Pittsburgh Cancels
Posted by RippedMan 2012-12-07 01:51:12

Well, plus most road houses are 3x larger than an average Broadway house.

And i've heard the cast isn't so great. And it's def. a cheap version.

Pittsburgh Cancels
Posted by Plum 2012-12-07 01:53:38

There have been times when a show that died on Broadway got more love in subsequent regional productions. But not every show is the likes of Caroline, or Change.

Pittsburgh Cancels
Posted by TheatreFan4 2012-12-07 01:53:45

Market all you like - it wasn't a success on Broadway so what on Earth would lead them to believe it would be a success elsewhere?

Yeah! I mean like Legally Blonde! Or Frank Wildhorn shows!

Pittsburgh Cancels
Posted by CHOOKA2 2012-12-07 01:55:50

The only clips I have seen of the show are on here and there was no way I would want to even accept a free ticket if Mr Norbert was in it--I had to close my eyes when he appeared,a hunched over,over active,over everything,in your face,sock-it-to-em FBI on speed performance.

Pittsburgh Cancels
Posted by RippedMan 2012-12-07 02:02:31

It's just not a good show, and the songs aren't good. That's about it. At least Caroline, or Change is a good show. So it makes sense the the bigger regional theaters would do it. But I don't see the Guthrie doing their own production of "Catch Me" anytime soon.

Pittsburgh Cancels
Posted by DAME 2012-12-07 02:07:20

This and Sister Act are not selling very well in Los Angeles.

Pittsburgh Cancels
Posted by RippedMan 2012-12-07 02:15:07

I'm sure LA is a tough town to sell a bad version of a good movie.

Pittsburgh Cancels
Posted by Brave Sir Robin2 2012-12-07 03:10:10

Well Sister Act doesn't arrive to LA until July... I got tickets for both of them, as well as Jekyll and Priscilla.

Pittsburgh Cancels
Posted by dramamama611 2012-12-07 03:21:43

Regional theater and touring companies have very different audiences.

There aren't too many shows that are unsuccessful on Bway that draw big audiences while touring: exceptions? of course.

I almost never go to see tours (Boston) I'm in NY often enough that I'd prefer to see shows in the city -- and I find I can see shows cheaper and (in the long run) more conveniently. Between more available dates, which lead to accessibilty closer to my chosen dates, makes NY the better choice for me.

Pittsburgh Cancels
Posted by rosscoe(au) 2012-12-07 03:35:34

Plus the Pantages in LA is huge, they really do need another smaller house.

Pittsburgh Cancels
Posted by emo_geek 2012-12-07 03:53:25

You can't sell anything in LA- we are closing our cirque du soleil (Iris) next month and that got great reviews. I saw it- it was brilliant!

Pittsburgh Cancels
Posted by emo_geek 2012-12-07 03:53:31

/

Pittsburgh Cancels
Posted by muscle23ftl 2012-12-07 11:33:30

The public in LA is used to the best entertainment, and this simply was a terrible show, it didn't even have the "train wreck" appeal. sflyfan, they did you a favor by saving you a drive to PA to see this mess. Trust me!!!
I saw the OBC and although the cast was very talented(they even had Kerry Butler, who is a fabulous singer) and she still couldn't make the songs sound good.

Pittsburgh Cancels
Posted by bk 2012-12-07 11:34:31

Thank you dramamama for pointing out what should be more than obvious - regional and touring are two entirely different things. This show never had a chance for a successful tour, sorry. They're going to learn this lesson the hard way. All shows that close now immediately announce a tour. Some happen, some don't, most shouldn't.

Pittsburgh Cancels
Posted by dramamama611 2012-12-07 11:48:54

I'm going to guess that the theory behind mounting a tour after an unsuccessful run on b'way, is to get the name "out there" to improve the licensing of shows for regional, community and local theater.

We can take Legally Blonde as an example: closed on Bway at a loss. The tour did quite well, and since the rights became available, they are making money hand over fist. Schools and communities are clamoring to do this: lots of female parts and audiences are eating it up.

Granted, lots of unsuccessful shows DON'T find that kind of financial success later -- but they sure are aiming for it!

Pittsburgh Cancels
Posted by newintown 2012-12-07 11:51:53

Who knew Pittsburgh had such good taste?

I think promoters will put any old flop on the road because they believe out-of-towners will pay to see anything, not knowing the difference between good and bad theatre.

I'm glad to see them proved wrong.

Pittsburgh Cancels
Posted by Mercades 2012-12-07 11:54:34

I have to be honest. I didn't understand why they thought this would do well on the road. that's really too bad.

Pittsburgh Cancels
Posted by bobs3 2012-12-07 11:54:42

^ It's true. The promoters call them "rubes" and they believe that anything that has "Direct from Broadway" attached to the advertising will attract paying audiences.

Pittsburgh Cancels
Posted by RippedMan 2012-12-07 14:26:39

It's a non-union tour. They should have hit the smaller markets. Not Pittsburgh, but mabye Harrisburg, etc. The smaller venues will help the show.

Pittsburgh Cancels
Posted by Baiseur82 2012-12-07 21:59:34

RippedMan the show opened in my home town of York, Pa and we are only 20 minutes away from Harrisburg.
I saw the show and thought it was ok. My real question is is this something that happens a lot? Venues canceling a tour this close to when it's supposed to play? What happens to the cast and crew. They just get an unexpected vacation?

Pittsburgh Cancels
Posted by RippedMan 2012-12-08 04:29:47

Unexpected vacation yes, but a paid vacation? Probably not.

Pittsburgh Cancels
Posted by RemlapLBC 2012-12-15 16:04:47

They aren't selling single tickets for Sister Act in LA yet. However, I don't know how many people are picking it in the Flex subscriptions.

I bought a $25 ticket for Catch Me, but I wouldn't pay more than that.

Off topic, except it still the Pantages. Surprisingly, Donny and Marie at the Pantages was far better than I expected which was good as i wasn't in $25 tickets.