Printer Friendly - LES MISERABLES Film Official Reviews

LES MISERABLES Film Official Reviews
Posted by ray-andallthatjazz86 2012-12-06 11:31:40

There are a million LES MISERABLES threads, but I thought it'd be nice to have a thread with official reviews from the critics in the spirit of LightlightMike's opening night threads.
Here's Variety with a mixed-to-positive review:

Hathaway's turn is brief but galvanic. Her rendition of "I Dreamed a Dream," captured in a single take, represents the picture's high point, an extraordinary distillation of anguish, defiance and barely flickering hope in which the lyrics seem to choke forth like barely suppressed howls of grief. Hathaway has been ripe for a full-blown tuner showcase ever since she gamely sang a duet with Jackman at the Oscars in 2009, and she fulfills that promise here with a solo as musically adept as it is powerfully felt.

This sequence fully reveals the advantages of Hooper's decision to have the thesps sing directly oncamera, with minimal dubbing and tweaking in post. As carefully calibrated with the orchestrations (by Anne Dudley and Stephen Metcalfe) in Simon Hayes' excellent sound mix, the vocals sound intense, ragged and clenched with feeling, in a way that at times suggests neorealist opera. A few beats and notes may be missed here and there, but always in a way that serves the immediacy of the moment and the truth of the emotions being expressed, giving clear voice to the drama's underlying anger and advocacy on behalf of the poor, marginalized and misunderstood.

Hathaway's exit leaves a hole in the picture, which undergoes a tricky tonal shift as Valjean rescues Fantine's young daughter, Cosette (Isabelle Allen), from her cruel guardians, the Thenardiers. Inhabited with witchy, twitchy comic abandon by Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter, not terribly far removed from the grotesques they played in "Sweeney Todd," these innkeepers amusingly send up their venal, disreputable and utterly unsanitary lifestyle in "Master of the House," a memorably grotesque number that also marks the point, barely halfway through, when "Les Miserables" starts to splutter.

As it shifts from one dynamically slanted camera angle to another via Melanie Ann Oliver and Chris Dickens' busy editing, the picture seems reluctant to slow down and let the viewer simply take in the performances. That hectic, cluttered quality becomes more pronounced as the story lurches ahead to the 1823 Paris student uprisings, where the erection of a barricade precipitates and complicates any number of subplots

Posted by ray-andallthatjazz86 2012-12-06 11:42:49

The Hollywood Reporter is mixed-to-negative, saying that the Broadway show opened to "generally bad reviews" and showing a general dislike for the source material like some people predicted:
The first thing to know about this Les Miserables is that this creation of Claude-Michel Schonberg, Alain Boublil and Jean-Marc Natel, is, with momentary exceptions, entirely sung, more like an opera than a traditional stage musical. Although not terrible, the music soon begins to slur together to the point where you'd be willing to pay the ticket price all over again just to hear a nice, pithy dialogue exchange between Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe rather than another noble song that sounds a lot like one you just heard a few minutes earlier. There were 49 identifiable musical numbers in the original show, and one more has been added here.
Greatly compounding the problem is that director Hooper, in his first outing since conquering Hollywood two years ago with his debut feature, The King's Speech, stages virtually every scene and song the same manner, with the camera swooping in on the singer and thereafter covering him or her and any other participants with hovering tight shots; there hasn't been a major musical so fond of the close-up since Joshua Logan attempted to photograph Richard Harris' tonsils in Camelot. Almost any great musical one can think of features sequences shot in different ways, depending upon the nature of the music and the dramatic moment; for Hooper, all musical numbers warrant the same monotonous approach of shoving the camera right in the performer's face; any closer and their breath would fog the lens, as, in this instance, the actors commendably sang live during the shooting, rather than being prerecorded.
With Hooper's undoubted encouragement, the eager thespians give it their all here, for better and for worse. The “live” vocal performances provide an extra vibrancy and immediacy that is palpable, though one cannot say that the technique is necessarily superior in principle, as it was also used by Peter Bogdanovich on his famed folly, At Long Last Love.

Posted by Kad 2012-12-06 12:01:42

I thought there was a review "embargo" until next week?

Posted by ray-andallthatjazz86 2012-12-06 12:04:16

I thought so too but a lot of the time Variety and Hollywood Reporter posts the review early. We probably won't see more until next week.

Posted by willep 2012-12-06 12:14:53

The Daily Mail gives it five stars.

Posted by Franciouqu 2012-12-06 16:09:27

Very Mixed Reviews, You know you hear great word of mouth like on a movie and people say its the greatest thing ever. And then very mixed reviews happen. You kind of feel like you have been lied to.
Everyone Said it will get the Oscar and now that is so unlikely it makes me sounds foolish for paying any attention to that. Like the Master I was told it will get great reviews and it did.

Posted by E.Davis 2012-12-06 16:55:08

Mixed Reviews do not necessarily knock it out of OSCAR contention.

Posted by ReggieonBway 2012-12-06 17:02:21

Having seen the film, I'm not getting what critics are getting their panties in a bunch over concerning the camera work - I thought the closeups were incredibly powerful. I guess my cinematic tastes aren't sophisticated enough to hate things like that.

Posted by DAME 2012-12-06 17:58:21

Audience response has been wonderful. Granted.. these are over pumped screening audiences. I think ( and we will see ) that mainstream reviews will be favorable.

Posted by FANtomFollies 2012-12-06 18:22:42

i think it's also important to remember that many critics simply aren't fans of the source material. I've loved almost everything I've seen of the film so far.

Posted by Auggie27 2012-12-06 18:39:13

Re Oscar: one word, CRASH.

But this movie would have to be a masterwork to please everyone. The original material was always weighed negatively (by some) for its bald dependency on pop to create emotional resonance. It's damn near impossible to explore it anew with that wall of pop-infused, open-throated venting coming at you for nearly three hours. It can be glorious in its melodic impact, especially to the die-hards, but it's always been a period piece married to a kind of Euro-pop sensibility that some people found wearying in its sameness. Putting it on film wouldn't change those hearts and minds. To me these reviews point up the issues in the material more than Hooper.

Posted by Franciouqu 2012-12-06 18:53:03

The Master Will win best Picture

Posted by WiCkEDrOcKS 2012-12-06 19:08:28

^ No way in hell....all due respect.

Posted by songanddanceman2 2012-12-06 19:23:55

UK press

The Independent - Rave
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/reviews/first-night-review-les-misrables-directed-by-tom-hooper-and-starring-anne-hathaway-8390395.html

The Telegraph - 5 star rave
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/filmreviews/9727469/Les-Miserables-review.html

The Guardian - Mixed, 3 stars (very silly review)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/dec/06/les-miserables-review-first-look

The Sun - Positive
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/4684894/les-misrables-review.html

The Mirror - Positive
http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/going-out/film/les-miserables-review-uplifting-blockbuster-1476672

Posted by broadwaybabywannabe2 2012-12-06 19:26:42

thx willep for posting the Daily Mail review...I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE THIS MOVIE...

and p.s. THE MASTER was the most god-awful movie i have seen since BENJAMIN BUTTHOLE, that brad pitt piece of ****...no offense to brad pitt mind u...:)

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-12-06 19:29:11

Add me to the voices who think an oscar for The Master would be a very bad choice as well as highly unlikely. Not that I think Les Mis winning is likely either.

Posted by songanddanceman2 2012-12-06 19:30:28

Reading all the reviews it would appear that the ones who dont like it dont seem to like the musical/musicals or the fact it's all sung through

Posted by Franciouqu 2012-12-06 19:35:23

I listen and only listen to the Guardian thank you

Posted by broadwaybabywannabe2 2012-12-06 19:35:43

the "buzz" here in Hollywoodland is that LES MIS will get a ton of Oscar nominations, and may win for the artsy stuff it does well...sets, costumes, cinematography, but will most likely not win any actual acting or directing awards...it's a tuff year when even LINCOLN may not win Best Picture...

Posted by songanddanceman2 2012-12-06 19:39:42

Well i would be very surprised if Hathaway does not walk away with an Oscar, her reviews are incredible

Posted by Franciouqu 2012-12-06 19:57:12

I do not think it deserves even to be nominated

Posted by Plum 2012-12-06 19:57:33

Hathaway's biggest challenger is probably Sally Field.

Anyway, while I'm devouring every review I can get my hands on, what I'm really looking forward to are the reviews from critics I read regularly enough to understand and respect - AO Scott, David Edelstein, and the like. "Some random person from a UK tabloid" isn't quite as good a source of information on the actual movie. (As opposed to building a mental picture of critical consensus.)

Posted by Someone in a Tree2 2012-12-06 20:02:28

@ Bwaybabywannabe: to a fellow west-coaster, I second the big thumbs down on THE MASTER-- vastly overpraised by critics and looks like it won't reap more than a couple of nominations either (it's time in the sun is past). However I take great exception to your dismissal of BENJAMIN BUTTON!! Loooooved that film to death! Any movie that took the pains to recreate the Act II dream Ballet in Carousel was already great in my book.

But we digress...

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2012-12-06 20:04:58

BENJAMIN BUTTON is one of the great achievements in film to date.

Posted by DAME 2012-12-06 20:08:44

I think it is the year of ARGO.

Posted by Franciouqu 2012-12-06 20:11:21

Actually The Reader was and Milk I was so upset that Slumdog won best picture

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2012-12-06 20:11:22

PARENTAL GUIDANCE will sweep the awards this season. Everybody knows it.

Posted by Idiot 2012-12-06 20:14:22

"Mixed Reviews do not necessarily knock it out of OSCAR contention."

True 'nuff. Ask TITANIC.

Posted by rorschach37 2012-12-06 20:20:04

"Mixed Reviews do not necessarily knock it out of OSCAR contention."

NINE had absolutely dreadful reviews and it was nominated for how many awards?

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2012-12-06 20:23:03

Dear God, I'm hoping LES MIS isn't as horrifically atrocious as NINE was.

Posted by Kad 2012-12-06 21:00:14

Eh, we're now entering the hype backlash time for Les Mis. Then there'll be backlash to the backlash. Etc.

Posted by ray-andallthatjazz86 2012-12-06 22:11:27

I don't think reviews have everything to do with getting an Oscar for Best Picture, CRASH is a really good example; however, I do believe that for movie musicals reviews are very important. At this point, I honestly don't think it will win at all.
I will defend THE MASTER though. Easily one of the most incredibly acted films I have ever seen and just a wonderful work of art in every way. I think its reputation will live on.
Kad, I couldn't agree more. It's crazy how quickly it is for a movie to get raves and then immediately get backlash before it even opens! I agree with your comment on the Oscar thread that it has a lot to do with the internet.

Posted by bobs3 2012-12-06 22:32:09

"Eh, we're now entering the hype backlash time for Les Mis. Then there'll be backlash to the backlash. Etc."

I haven't seen the film yet but I knew the backlash was predictable.

Posted by StageManager2 2012-12-06 22:35:20

True 'nuff. Ask TITANIC.

Yeah, but Titanic became a box office and cultural phenomenon. They weren't going to deny Titanic anything after the bucketload of money it made and the impact it had. Les Miz would need to do equal business to be in serious contention for the biggie categories.

Posted by Idiot 2012-12-07 02:21:51

^ We don't know yet what LM will do at the box office. It may well be a blockbuster, too. It certainly appeals to the same people that made Titanic a phenomenon.

Posted by Dave19 2012-12-07 05:54:12

That Hollywood Reporter review is actually full of compliments. Even the singing abilities of all the actors are praised. Also the "live technique" is praised.

The negative points are a matter of taste in this case.

"director Tom Hooper has turned the theatrical extravaganza into something that is far less about the rigors of existence in early 19th century France than it is about actors emoting mightily and singing their guts out"

I'm really glad about this. This is a big part of the success of the musical and why I love it so much. The film is extremely raw and authentic already. There is absolutely no point at all in trying to go even further with that.

"Although not terrible, the music soon begins to slur together to the point where you’d be willing to pay the ticket price all over again just to hear a nice, pithy dialogue exchange between Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe rather than another noble song that sounds a lot like one you just heard a few minutes earlier"

Again, a matter of taste. I love the fact that it's sung through, but if you don't understand this artform, or if you're longing for normal dialogues, then you shouldn't go to a musical. When I watch a normal film, I'm always longing for music but to put that in a review would make no sense, that's just naive. I guess you just have to understand the emotion through music and singing. If you cannot do that I suppose it all sounds like a blur for you.

Posted by tazber 2012-12-07 06:18:29

Whichever way its awards fortunes unfold will certainly be interesting to watch.

At the industry screenings it received very enthusiastic responses. The awards gurus (Gold Derby, EW, etc.) had their Oscar reporters canvass the audience and by all accounts Les Miz was considered a lock for a best pic nomination (the links with those reports are in the Oscar thread over on the OT board if anyone is interested) along with Lincoln, Zero Dark Thirty, Life of Pi, Silver Linings Playbook, and Argo.

If Les Miz is a commercial success it will probably maintain its awards momentum.

As I recall Nine was immediately pegged as a disaster from the very beginning. The early industry screenings' word of mouth was so toxic that by the second week of screenings the theaters were almost empty. Even the Weinsteins, who never give up, realized how bad it was and reduced the number of screens it was to play on once it went wide.

Best picture aside I think Hathaway is a definite contender for a nomination as are the tech elements.

Posted by madbrian 2012-12-07 06:47:46

I loved Lincoln, but I thought Sally Field was the weak link in an otherwise extraordinary movie. Her performance was exactly what I would expect of her playing that role, an 1860s version of M'Lynn.

Posted by Iheartchipotle 2012-12-07 09:44:21

If THE MASTER wins best picture, I'd never trust the Oscar voting process again. That was, by far, the worst movie I have ever seen. And I've seen some clunkers. Painful to watch. Absolutely dreadful.

Not sure about Les Miz's chance at winning BP, but it will certainly get a few. I hope it is great--and will see it regardless of reviews--but it is a musical musical. Little dialogue. And even with stunning visuals, performances, there are many who can only handle so much singing in a movie. I'd venture to guess most men that don't already love live theater.

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-12-07 10:00:10

My problem with "The Master" is that it is about a bond between these two characters and whether that bond survives.

I didn't believe that bond, didn't understand what it was based on (spiritually, sexually, emotionally?) saw no evidence of it and certainly didn't care whether it survived or not.

Phoenix's grandstanding in this empty context is not just impressive acting, it's "IMPRESSIVE ACTING!" Hoffman is asked to counter this with control and restraint and gives a far more effective performance. Exactly what Adams is doing here is as failingly oblique as her costars.

But, hey, if it's me, if I just didn't get it, if it's something more than a pretentious shell, then I'm perfectly willing to hear why I failed to grasp something of real value.

Mihai Malaimare, Jr.'s cinematography is quite good. And the production elements are strong. But a grand movie - whether it's a traditional epic or a challenging modern one - has to offer something more than mere opulence.

Madbrian, I disagree with you strongly about Field's Mary. I was expecting the kind of predictable performance you describe but I saw something very different, surprisingly specific and well-focused, fiercely intelligent, hearty without being the least bit trite, and very memorable. She and Day-Lewis played their scenes together beautifully. And her big scene with Jones is great fun grounded in real heartbreak and pluck.

Posted by The8re phan 2012-12-07 10:03:04

Is Les Miserables - the movie this year's West Side Story or Cabaret?
Probably not... but it's thankfully not this year's Rent, Phantom, or Nine either

Posted by broadwaybabywannabe2 2012-12-07 11:47:27

Jordan C. u are probably the funniest member here...i actually think ROAD TRIP will win Babs her second Oscar for acting...LOL...but seriously Seth Rogan and Babs look to have great screen chemistry...

Posted by WiCkEDrOcKS 2012-12-07 12:01:26

Many pundits are predicting that its very possible that THE MASTER could get shut out of Best Picture nominees altogether.

It will NOT win Best Picture. At this point, the momentum is clearly leaning towards ARGO (which is a fantastic film and equal critic/audience-pleaser; doesn't hurt) and ZERO DARK THIRTY (which has yet to get a bad review from major critics but will be a tough commercial sell). But LES MIZ still absolutely has a shot at this stage.

Posted by Okiekat 2012-12-07 12:26:30

I read these boards quite often, but have never posted a comment.
I've seen the film and think it's very good. Highlights for me: Eddie Redmayne, Samantha Barks, Sacha Baron Cohen and Aaron Tveit. I also think Flight will get a Best Picture nomination along with Denzel for Best Actor.

BTW, WICKEDROCKS, I always appreciate your reviews.

Posted by Kad 2012-12-07 12:35:22

Backlash for Les Mis was inevitable because of the ridiculous publicizing of the responses to the first screenings. People don't like being told to expect a masterpiece and then get something that's merely good.

The Master was divisive amongst Academy members and audiences. The fact it lost momentum so quickly is a bad sign. It may manage a nomination. ...May.

I think the big three of the year are Argo, Lincoln, and Zero Dark Thirty. I still think Affleck's got his Best Director award in the bag due to his career comeback as a successful director (Spielberg is Spielberg, and Hooper and Bigelow are both very recent recipients), but I'm not sure if Argo will take the prize. I feel like some people may react negatively to Argo's final and fictional chase sequence.

Posted by finebydesign 2012-12-07 12:47:43

Life Pi is wonderful, not sure it's a favorite by anyone but it's a great film. I think Les Mis has a good chance at winning quite a few.

The Master is a disaster, I cannot believe I paid and "sat" through that.

Posted by Auggie27 2012-12-07 12:50:19

100% in agreement with henrik on THE MASTER. The movie is gloriously appointed, beautifully shot (wide screen, circa the 50s), scored, and to a point, stunningly acted. But it's built on sustained sort of creative self-indulgence -- with a complete disconnect from audience expectation, or satisfaction. These two men and their tumultuous (ultimately non-) relationship are offered up without any seeming awareness of what might make this story meaningful for those of us held hostage for almost 2 1/2 hours. The lack of genuine catharsis of any kind -- it all comes to very little -- makes the journey, or rather for us, ride, taxing, intellectually exhausting and emotionally unfullfilling. And the patently improvisational style to many scenes, which feature repetitive acting-class exercises in actor vs. act (the jail cell sequence exhibit A; fire and music vs. fire and music, and a lot of property smashing) never build, never have the shape required by drama. Yet is framed as if created with precision -- a stylistic paradox, so much messiness and odd formality at the same time.

To be fair, I stayed invested for over an hour, mesmerized in part by the admittedly riveting work by the two stars. But finally, their "work" shows, and not in a good way. We become more aware of actors demonstrating their craft than illuminating character, story, ideas. There is no real story. Events pile up, lavishly doctored with period detailing and texture, yet the bigger picture isn't really much of a picture, finally. I wanted to be swept away, or at least deeply disturbed -- bothered by what happens or does not. I would've been happy to be shaken, irritated, angered. But ultimately, I felt next to nothing. It feels bloated and empty, "artistic" in the sense of artists huffing and puffing to show their street cred.

Posted by JP2 2012-12-07 13:42:54

Every negative review I've read so far seems to be bashing the stage show itself. I didn't realize Les Miz was so hated.

Posted by Plum 2012-12-07 16:44:04

Well, it's cheeseball. I think it's mostly good cheese, myself, but that's probably colored by the fact that I first saw the show when I was ten or so. :) Other people are put off by that enormous pop earnestness - and people who are suspicious of musicals in the first place are going to be especially put off by one like Les Mis. It has no irony.

Posted by Michael Bennett 2012-12-07 17:41:19

I was at early Academy screenings of PHANTOM, NINE and DREAMGIRLS and they all played like gang busters to standing ovations and ecstatic buzz. I seem to remember one of the popular Oscar pundits declaring after the PHANTOM screening that the Best Picture Oscar Race was all wrapped up.

How does this happen? Well, for starters, when they happen, movie musicals are often the most anticipated films of any season they appear in. That anticipation usually heavily plays into the film's favor for the early screenings, which are usually for audiences highly familiar with the stage productions and who go in with a bit of a less than objective eye (the frequent Q&As with the cast doesn't hurt either!) and let's face it, watching movie musicals in this day and age feels like an event - they are big and loud and exciting to watch - and even the worst of the past decade have had some individual moments that have been thrilling and heart palpating cinematic. It's not hard to see why audiences, in the moment, react the way they do, even if the total is less than the sum of its parts...

And with the exception of CHICAGO, all of the stage to screen movie musicals in recent years have been based on theatrical material that has been heavily scrutinized by film critics (most of the negative reviews of NINE complained heavily about the movie's music and lyrics, which of course are mostly hold overs from the stage production). I think CHICAGO's innate cynicism helped ward off the general snarkiness a lot of critics have towards the medium.

And yes, LES MISERABLES on stage has routinely received mixed-negativexs reviews: from the London premiere at the RSC right up to the recent Broadway revivals. It has always been a musical that wears its sentimentalism on its sleeve.

If the movie is is a hit, it will be (critics be damned) because it scores with general film going audiences in the same way that turned the stage show into such a global phenom.

Posted by WiCkEDrOcKS 2012-12-07 18:48:43

I think I'm the only person who didn't like LINCOLN. The acting was strong and the climactic amendment passage scene was pretty rousing, but I thought the movie was a total chore to sit through. And I was surprised, being a pretty big fan of Spielberg and, particularly, Kushner. I'm surprised it's caught on with audiences as well as it has.

Posted by Kad 2012-12-07 18:58:13

I'm surprised Mamma Mia! has not really been mentioned. Despite critical drubbing and scorn from theatre fans, it went on to make over $600 million worldwide. That is nothing to sneeze at.

Posted by JimCo 2012-12-07 19:20:58

THE MASTER was pretentious, long. The acting was very good, but the movie was big yawn.

Posted by Plum 2012-12-07 19:30:42

Wickedrocks, I wasn't nearly as into Lincoln as I'd hoped to be either. I recognize the quality of the cinematography and the acting - Tommy Lee Jones, especially - but it ended up being underwhelming.

Posted by eatlasagna 2012-12-07 19:41:47

i liked LINCOLN well enough... but as I've told people... it was just such a drama... there was just so much talking (which I know, it's a drama and there's going to be just lots of it), but for some reason this one felt so different... the dialogue wasn't propelling things forward or making "action"... it was just talking and talking... i can't quite explain myself so eloquently regarding this...

Posted by WiCkEDrOcKS 2012-12-07 19:46:18

Right. It was extremely well-shot, well-acted, well-designed, well-edited, etc etc. But I was just...bored for 90% of it. I found it to be a pretty pretentious slog, for the most part. And I heard multiple people bemoaning how underwhelmed they were as I left the theater. As I said, its box office longevity is very shocking to me. I personally am surprised a film like LINCOLN would have such a widespread appeal and strong word of mouth when a film as charming and entertaining as THE ARTIST barely managed to make $40 million in its entire run.

(Yes I understand the subject matter of LINCOLN is inherently going to pique interest in moviegoers, whereas something like THE ARTIST has more of an uphill climb ahead of itself from the get-go.)

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2012-12-07 21:33:21

I have no worries. This movie is gonna pack them in and it's gonna get award recognition. I am so looking forward to this. IMO the best musical movies as of late have been Chicago...Hairspray...Dreamgirls...Mamma Mia and I am betting the house this one will be up there if not top them.

Posted by MikeInTheDistrict 2012-12-07 23:12:30

A somewhat optimistic article from the Times on this film as an opportunity to help revive the ailing Working Title Pictures: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/07/movies/awardsseason/working-title-films-looks-to-les-miserables-for-oscars.html?ref=movies&_r=0

Posted by peachesr82 2012-12-08 04:08:49

5*'s from the Telegraph.

Do you hear the people sing? Stand outside any cinema in just over one month’s time and you will. Tom Hooper’s screen adaptation of Les Misérables is a heart-soaring, crowd-delighting hit-in-waiting: the Mamma Mia it’s all right to like.

This adaptation of the long-running stage musical, itself based on Victor Hugo’s epic tale of romance and revolution in 19th century France, is Hooper’s first film since The King’s Speech (2010). It is as broad and sturdy as the shoulders of its twinkling-eyed star Hugh Jackman, who plays the reformed thief Jean Valjean – yet amid the bombast, it comes as close as a £40 million musical can to intimacy, thanks in part to an extraordinarily deeply-felt performance by Anne Hathaway as Fantine, a seamstress who falls into prostitution.

Everything about the film is enormous, from Claude-Michel Schönberg’s cannon-fire score to its bladder-twitching two-hour, 40-minute running time. Every last frame is rocket-launched at the back row of the cinema.

As in the stage production of Les Misérables, most of the dialogue is sung, not spoken, and Hooper’s masterstroke is to treat it as speech, not singing. The cast’s vocal performances were recorded on set as live rather than lip-synched to studio tapes, and this gives the music a vital, corporeal presence within the film: it’s like watching real,physical stuntwork instead of computer-generated trickery.

This also allows Hooper’s camera to zero in on his performers’ faces during the big, tremulous, heartfelt numbers, which in Les Misérables is all of them. When Russell Crowe’s Javert wrestles with his iron conscience, we can see the struggle behind his eyes. Eddie Redmayne and Amanda Seyfried play the lovers Marius and Cosette, and their duets are a miraculous clash of pouts and cheekbones.

Isabelle Allen and Daniel Huttlestone will thaw hearts as the young Cosette and the street urchin Gavroche, while Helena Bonham Carter and Sacha Baron Cohen play it grotesquely, even Burtonesquely broad as the villainous Thénardiers.

But the showstopper is Hathaway. When she half-sings, half-sobs I Dreamed A Dream, hair cropped and eyes shining like Maria Falconetti, Hooper captures her performance in a single, unblinking, breath-catching close-up. This will be the clip they show before she wins her Oscar.

Les Misérables is only Hooper’s fourth feature, and his directorial style is still bedding in: some big, comic-book camera angles feel a touch over-egged, as does the extraordinarily shallow focus he uses in close-up. But he marshals the spectacle so spectacularly that it hardly matters. Hooper’s screenwriter William Nicholson (Shadowlands) has judiciously tinkered with the song order, which makes Les Misérables feel not only definitive, but utterly cinematic. You leave with not one song in your heart, but ten.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/filmreviews/9727469/Les-Miserables-review.html

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-12-08 10:09:53

I am surprised Lincoln is doing so well box office wise as well. It is certainly talky. Personally I wasn't bored. Kushner's well crafted script, the topicality of the political machinations, and the assured presence of James Spader (who deserves but won't get an oscar nod), Michael Stuhlbarg, Jared Harris, Hal Holbrook and, in very small roles, Adam Driver, Colman Domingo, etc, among many others, kept my interest. My only - albeit predictable - gripe was Spielberg not knowing when to quit and going for the uberschmaltz only a couple of times (but in such unfortunate ways) near the end when so much less would have been so much more. But I still think it's a very fine film.

Posted by Huey's Pop 2012-12-08 10:41:25

I echo your review of The Master. Upon leaving the theater, my memory of the previous 150 minutes was permanently erased.

On the other hand, I saw Hitchcock last week, and can't stop thinking about it.

Posted by WiCkEDrOcKS 2012-12-08 10:57:26

I enjoyed HITCHCOCK as well! It's certainly not without flaws, but I was pretty moved by Alma and Hitch's relationship by the end. Hopkins and Mirren deserve nominations, but I fear they'll both be shut out.

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-12-08 11:00:21

Hitchcock is exactly what it should be, no more or less. Satisfying goofy fun with heart and a cast who understands exactly what they're doing.

Posted by jayinchelsea 2012-12-08 14:00:11

If Rachel Weisz (whom I love) is giving the best female performance of the year (check out New York mag), then anything could happen. I think Helen Mirren has a good chance for a nomination (an Oscar darling in a very weak year for women), as does Jessica Chastain if the film does well.

Posted by broadwaybabywannabe2 2012-12-08 14:28:09

i just Googled "reviews for LES MIS" and got a whole page filled with negative to luke warm reviews of the film, from all over the internet...as of this moment i am stopping myself from reading anymore reviews until i see the movie for myself...

and btw LINCOLN is so far THE BEST MOVIE of 2012 from all that i have seen, and if it finishes #1 for the year for me, i will be happy...by far THE BEST MOVIE Speilberg has made IMHO...TONY KUSHNER should get another Pulitzer Price for the screenplay...:)

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-12-08 16:17:55

Why exactly is this being considered a "very weak year for [leading] women".

Marion Cotillard, Jennifer Lawrence, Emannuelle Riva, Quvenzhane Wallis, Jessica Chastain, Rachel Weisz, Keira Knightley, Linda Cardellini, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Helen Mirren, Maggie Smith, Emayatzy Corinealdi, Judi Dench, Meryl Streep, Greta Gerwig and Naomi Watts.

What are they chopped liver?

Sure, many big movies didn't have leading ladies, and not all of the above listed have even a slight chance of a nomination. And some are in movies that have been little seen (so what? last year Demian Bichir was nominated for a relatively little seen movie; no one argued it was a weak year for leading men).

At least six of the best actress possibilities are stars of movies that could possibly get multiple nominations in major categories including perhaps best picture: Lawrence, Riva, Chastain, Wallis, Knightley and, perhaps to a lesser extent, Watts.

And Chastain is the lead, and the only lead, in what now looks to be the frontrunner for best picture.

The last year a movie with even a nominated female lead won best picture was 2004 (Million Dollar Baby, Swank won the oscar). Consider the years since then:

2005: Crash won, no female lead (granted, there was no lead in Crash). And no other female leads in the other four nominated movies: Brokeback, Capote, Good Night and Good Luck and Munich.

2006: The Departed won, no female lead. And of the four other nominated movies only one (The Queen) had a female lead (the others were Babel, Letters from IwonJima, Little Miss Sunshine).

2007: No Country for Old Men won, no female lead. Of the also nominated Atonement, Juno, Michael Clayton and There Will Be Blood, two out of four had female leads (Atonement, Juno).

2008: Slumdog Millionaire won, no female lead. Of the also nominated Benjamin Button, Frost/Nixon, Milk and The Reader only The Reader had a female lead.

2009: The winner, The Hurt Locker had no female lead. Also nominated Avatar (no female lead), The Blind Side (female lead), District 9 (no female lead), An Education (female lead), Inglorious Bastards (no female lead), Precious (female lead), A Serious Man (no female lead), Up (animated, no female lead), Up in the Air (no female lead).

Out of ten nominated best pics, 3 had female leads (each scoring a best actress nod).

2010: The King's Speech won (no female lead). 4 out of the 10 nominated movies had female leads (Black Swan, The Kids Are All Right (two female leads), True Grit and Winter's Bone. 3 of them had best actress nominees, the other had (True Grit) had its lead nominated as supporting.

2011: Of the ten nominated movies (The Artist - winner, The Descendants, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, The Help, Hugo, Midnight in Paris, Moneyball, The Tree of Life and Warhorse) only one (The Help) had a female lead (it had two actually). OK, maybe Bejo could be considered lead which would bring it to 2/10.

To repeat: Last year, 1/10 of the ten nominated movies had a female lead.

One could argue this is a pretty damn good year for women in leading roles. Certainly there have been many years that were a lot worse.

Posted by ray-andallthatjazz86 2012-12-08 16:47:01

Henrik, I love you. That was my immediate reaction when I read the comment about it being a "very weak year for women." In what context? As Henrik pointed out, there's a range of brilliant performances; I will say that in my opinion there's great performances by women *every year*, whether the Oscars want to recognize it or not. This year is no exception, there's so many wonderful performances all around. Mirren is only one of a number of actresses in the U.S and abroad (it's shocking to me how little people recognize world cinema sometimes) giving fantastic and very different performances in film.
I loved THE MASTER, it was one of my favorite movies of the year and one of the most affecting films I have ever seen. However, like I've said before, most of my friends and clearly, most everyone on this board absolutely hated it so I don't expect it to do that well at the Oscars. I will say that I'd vote for Joaquin Phoenix's unsettling performance whatever year it was on, I found it to be one of my all time favorite lead actor performances.

Posted by bdn223 2012-12-08 17:02:22

It isn't considered a strong year for leading actress because Meryl Streep is not in contention (yes she did Hope Springs, but she had to pay for Mamie and Ben's wedding somehow= she did do Hope Springs for the $$ and not the art).

In reality there were no big female driven films this year, (the Help, Julie and Julia, Eat Pray Love or even Bridesmaids). Yes there was The Hunger Games and Twilght, but other than those two name another major film this year with a female protagonist.

Most films this year with female leads were indepent films meaning very few people saw them. There is no real "omg did you Meryl Streep in The Iron Lady" this year compared to men with a must see performances by Daniel Day Lewis, Hugh Jackman, and Bradley Cooper.

Posted by BWNUT 2012-12-08 17:08:36

I'm with people who do not get "Lincoln". It's a slog, a chore to sit through. I admired the photography, production design, costumes and all that technical stuff but the movie as a whole was just dull and too talky. And LONG. There were some stretches that felt like I was watching C-Span (maybe I'm just not into all that legislative stuff). The family drama was more interesting to me but it felt like it was just shoehorned into the story. How the assassination was presented was a big letdown. But I was certainly mesmerized by DDL's performance. It's fascinating to watch his acting choices: the mannerisms, facial expressions, the voice, even his gait. And talk about the eyes as the window to a man's mind and soul. He WAS Lincoln. His performance certainly is the one to beat.

Posted by Kad 2012-12-08 17:20:00

There were wonderful performances from leading actresses but none that really seem to get people thrilled and talking. There's no Streep v. Davis. There's nothing arousing passionate support.

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-12-08 20:06:28

"Yes there was The Hunger Games and Twilght, but other than those two name another major film this year with a female protagonist."

Anna Karenina, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Zero Dark Thirty, Rust and Bone, Amour, The Impossible, The Deep Blue Sea, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, Quartet, Hope Springs, and several others (see my message below).

Posted by bdn223 2012-12-08 23:11:48

Of those films only Hope Springs is not an independent film.

Posted by My Oh My 2012-12-09 10:13:15

I still find the "Oscar buzz" incredibly obnoxious because it all seems very knee jerk; the criteria used so far in determining nominees is a joke. Might as well have a nomination for "Epicness" and a special Oscar for "Les Miserables," because it's, well, "Les Miserables."

I love this musical too much to limit my options to "it sucks" or "OMFG, OSCAR!" As long as I like it, but if I don't, get ready for a million ranty rants! ROFLMFO! XD

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-12-09 11:32:45

"Of those films only Hope Springs is not an independent film."

And that's a significant distinction because.... (especially in the era of the Weinsteins and well into their fourth decade)

Posted by Kad 2012-12-09 11:42:09

He meant "major" motion picture, as in major box office success. None of those films you mentioned, henrik, will gross particularly well- most Americans may only be vaguely aware of them.

Posted by tazber 2012-12-09 11:50:29

There were wonderful performances from leading actresses but none that really seem to get people thrilled and talking. There's no Streep v. Davis. There's nothing arousing passionate support.

This.

We're talking in the context of awards prognostication, not in the context of quality performances.

The other 3 acting categories already have front runners and horse races. Lead actress seems to be missing any one or two performances that have people talking.
"Weak year" is referring to buzz, not quality.

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-12-09 11:50:49

OK, but prestige awards movies don't always mean major bucks, and the relative lack of female-driven big bucks movies is hardly anything new. It still doesn't explain the buzz bout this being a weak year for leading women.

Not to mention it would not be surprising if Silver Linings Playbook or Zero Dark Thirty are hits, right? To be added to the bigtime girl power of Hunger Games and Twilight. Sure, less blockbuster than those movies, but hey big pulp movies like those are generally not awards fodder.

Posted by Plum 2012-12-09 11:54:13

So basically, what's wrong isn't female performances but the categorization of what constitutes a "buzzworthy" one to movie pundits? Wow, I'm gonna need a moment to contain my surprise.

Posted by tazber 2012-12-09 12:02:00

Nothing is "wrong" with anything. There just hasn't been a lead actress performance that galvanized the critics like some past years.

I mean, can you mention a lead female role that has everyone talking about it in terms of winning an Oscar like Daniel Day Lewis or Anne Hathaway?

Chastain, Cotillard, and Lawrence have all been mentioned, but not with the same level of excitement that the other category's contenders have.

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-12-09 12:05:18

I think the problem is that the casts of most movies are majority male. On top of that, the movies most people want to go see are not necessarily what the film community deems of sufficient quality to vie for awards, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

As to what's buzzworthy in terms of the best of the movie season, well that's a great deal about marketing. As evidenced by the discussion of what will win by a multitude of people - myself included - who haven't seen a great many of the contenders.

Posted by tazber 2012-12-09 12:11:10

Yes! It's 100% about marketing, henrik.

That's what I trying to get across. There are a lot of amazing lead actress performances but for whatever reason the Hollywood machine hasn't latched onto one particular role this year.

That's where I'm coming from when I mention "buzz". I don't mean there was a lack of strong female characters on display this year.

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-12-09 12:23:08

Right. But not latching on to a single performance is a good thing; and it could well change by the time the guild awards get going, leading to the end of the season boredom.

Posted by ray-andallthatjazz86 2012-12-10 12:21:47

David Edelstein from New York Magazine seems to have hated it (and again, heavily criticizes the source material, pointing to one of the worst lines of dialogue in the show: "I'm Javert/Do not forget my name"):

The tasteless bombardment that is Les Misérables would, under most circumstances, send audiences screaming from the theater, but the film is going to be a monster hit and award winner, and not entirely unjustly. After 30 or so of its 157 minutes, you build up a tolerance for those it’s-alive-alive-alive! close-ups and begin to admire the ­gumption—along with the novelty of being worked over by such a big, shameless Broadway musical without having to pay Broadway prices. The authors (there are four credited screenwriters) have pared down Victor Hugo’s great wallow of a novel to its dumb, pious moral (Christian forgiveness always wins, though you might not live to break out the Champagne), but the show has been audience-tested for decades and defiantly holds the screen, much like its French revolutionaries at the barricades.
Hugo’s hero, Jean Valjean, is played by Hugh Jackman, who is shockingly emaciated in his first scenes as a prisoner—I mistook him for Ron Moody’s Fagin. Jackman is, of course, an old hand at musicals and looks great when allowed to grow his Wolverine sideburns. He can play Valjean’s unwavering goodness without being a simp. But he’d have come off better if he hadn’t been forced to sing at the tippy-top of his register—and higher. On the other hand, no transposition would have helped Russell Crowe as the lawman Javert, Valjean’s unyielding antagonist: His voice is tight and comes from the head, the sound of a foghorn ending in a wheeze. But he stands and delivers his ­numbers—I can’t believe I’m using this adverb—manfully, and I salute him. It can’t have been easy for an untrained singer to handle Claude-Michel Schönberg’s awful recitativo, which does not—unlike Schönberg’s near namesake, Schoenberg—have the excuse of being purposefully atonal. “And I’m Javert?/?Do not forget my name!” would have crumpled a lesser man on the spot.

Posted by themysteriousgrowl 2012-12-10 12:29:27

I agree with Edelstein as often as I disagree with him, but he’s a smart critic, and his review is dispiriting.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2012-12-10 12:31:55

Growl, where in the hell have you been?

Posted by themysteriousgrowl 2012-12-10 12:36:17

I'm here! I'm here!

Busy at work = less posting, but I read every day!

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2012-12-10 12:50:52

Excuses are like (_o_)'s...

Posted by tazber 2012-12-10 13:29:46

I have to say that I always hate that line too. Watching Crowe deliver it in the clip that's circulating however was the first time it ever sounded like a real line and not needless exposition.

Posted by MrMidwest 2012-12-10 14:40:41

Dave Poland:

"I am not a moron. I can deal with building the factual reality in my head when the style of the film decides against being literal. But that is what is so much the failure of Les Misérables… it wants it both ways. It wants to be profoundly intimate, suffering in extreme close-up, the singing-on-the-set choice (the endless hype about which has turned it from “choice” to “stunt), and shooting almost completely in singles and tight doubles. Edit. Edit. Edit.

But the material is HUGE and EPIC and MELODRAMATIC.

So the effect of director Tom Hooper’s is like looking at Mount Everest through the wrong side of the binoculars."

http://moviecitynews.com/2012/12/review-les-miserables/

Posted by kidbroadway2 2012-12-10 21:06:14

If all these reviewed are indeed true, props to the P.R team for Les Mis. After that premiere performance, they convinced a lot of people this had serious BP potential.

Posted by NYC4Life 2012-12-11 01:07:35

Maybe it is because I live in new york and go to a lot of screenings but Jennifer Lawerence and Jessica Chastain are getting phenomenal buzz. Chastain is winning awards left and right.

Posted by Kad 2012-12-11 01:30:45

Of course they are in New York. Much of the rest of the country hasn't seen Zero Dark Thirty and Silver Linings Playbook is performing, at best, modestly.

This has actually been an outstanding year for women in film. Brave, Twilight, The Hunger Games, Prometheus, and Snow White and the Huntsman were massive box office successes and all had female protagonists.

But again, Best Actress is typically one of the most closely followed categories- it's one of the few that people get very passionate about. Arguably more than the other three acting categories, I think. But right now no one is especially passionate. If Jennifer Lawrence beats Chastain, or vice-versa, it's not going to ignite the blogs. As of now.

Posted by best12bars 2012-12-11 09:08:01

I remember this same thing happened recently to "Dreamgirls" and to "Nine," where film critics pointed out major flaws in plot and dialogue from the original source material.

It's hard for Broadway fans to realize their beloved stage show is being criticized and raked over the coals in some cases as much as the film itself, particularly when the complaints are aimed at the original stage songs, dialogue, and plot construction.

EDIT: I have to say this about "Zero Dark Thirty," the latest critics' darling. If it's anything like The Hurt Locker, I will hate it. I think that movie is the single dullest Best Picture winner in history, and that's going all the way back to the early talkies. It's redundant and lets the "importance" of the subject matter pass for good storytelling and filmmaking.

If Kathryn Bigelow strikes again with that approach, count me out, big-time.

Posted by themysteriousgrowl 2012-12-11 09:18:38

I'm totally with you on "The Hurt Locker," bestie. I'm cautiously optimistic about "Zero Dark Thirty" because I love Jessica Chastain with every fiber of my being, but I'm really hoping she changes up her style. "The Hurt Locker" wasn't an awful movie, but it was a snooze.

Also, that David Edelstein review has been classed by RottenTomatoes as "fresh." So, you know... what?

Posted by Plum 2012-12-12 00:46:34

Arguably, you can summarize Edelstein's review as "it wasn't my thing, here's why, but I think it's going to be a huge soppy hit anyway". Arguably. :P

Posted by WiCkEDrOcKS 2012-12-12 19:47:24

I usually agree with Lisa Schwarzbaum's reviews, so this makes me nervous. She gave it a "C" and says it made her "long for a guillotine."
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20620444,00.html

Posted by Tony2600 2012-12-12 23:09:01

I think Lisa Schwarzbaum is spot on and is being quite generous in giving it a”C”.
Just got back from a screening at the DGA and have to say the film is pretty awful.
Tom Hooper seems to have directed his actors to project their dialogue/songs to the third mezzanine of Radio City Music Hall while holding the camera twelve inches from their face.

Posted by Kad 2012-12-12 23:45:53

Attention, everyone, we have gone from a backlash watch to a backlash warning.

Posted by Mattbrain 2012-12-13 07:51:28

Schwarzbaum also gave Battleship a B+. Just sayin'.

Posted by Dave19 2012-12-13 08:10:44

I shouldn't pay too much attention to Lisa Schwarzbaum's review.

The only 2 things she mentions are the fact that Russel Crowe can't sing broadway style. That's true and we knew that from the beginning, that's the fault of the filmmakers.

And that Fantine looks happy when she sings about her glory days.
I'm glad she does.

But if that's all you can come up with after having seen the film I wonder what she has been doing while sitting in the cinema.

Posted by best12bars 2012-12-13 08:15:56

That Schwartzbaum review is transparent. She seems hung up on the Awards buzz and hype, mentioning it not once but several times, and clearly it clouded her perspective watching the film. She also admits to hating the stage musical in her final paragraph. So it didn't stand a chance with her.

EDIT: I admit to chuckling over her "Captn. Crunch" comment about Crowe's wardrobe, though. Hey, that was the style back then ... for both Javert and Crunch!

Posted by JP2 2012-12-13 09:02:22

Unfortunately for these negative reviewers, they're not the ones voting for awards. Critics Choice, SAG, and now the Golden Globes have given the film nominations in all the big categories. The Oscars will be no different.

Posted by best12bars 2012-12-13 09:09:18

The guild awards are the only real early indicators, and even they aren't foolproof.

Posted by OperaBwayLover 2012-12-13 11:04:03

Wow, that EW review was awful. Absolutely nothing but snark, and not even funny snark at that. I respect that she didn't like it, but she never even explained WHY. Why bother writing a review if you can't at least give some reasons?

This is why I stay away from reading most reviews. As an English major, I'm all about the necessity of 'why.' :-p

Posted by best12bars 2012-12-13 11:10:06

There's enough "why she didn't like it" in there ... barely ... but you have to dig for it among the repetitive incensed reactions to the Awards hype (which has nothing to do with the movie itself and a critic should be smarter than that) and her bias in hating the stage show, which she should have mentioned up front, not in the very last paragraph.

It was a weak review, weak opinion, and badly written as well.

Still, it's her opinion. She didn't like it. So be it.

Posted by themysteriousgrowl 2012-12-13 12:46:02

She’s a crummy critic to begin with. There may be loads of valid complaints about the movie, but I’m certainly not taking any of her observations with less salt that I put in my oatmeal this morning. (I put way too much salt in my oatmeal this morning; I’m not sure what that does to the metaphor.)

Posted by best12bars 2012-12-13 12:55:03

It did make me wince though.

I think I need some water now.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2012-12-13 13:00:11

I had oatmeal as well but put 6 packs of Equal in it. To each his own, I suppose.

Posted by StageManager2 2012-12-13 13:02:00

Jordan, your post almost put me in a diabetic coma. Six packs?!

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-12-13 13:04:47

Not all big categories. Tom Hooper's direction not scoring a golden globe nod is not insignificant.

Posted by themysteriousgrowl 2012-12-13 13:06:58

Of Equal?!

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2012-12-13 13:09:54

Yes. I'm from the south. We prefer things so sweet that you northerners pass out just thinking about it.

Posted by wickedfan 2012-12-13 13:10:26

Tim Burton was nominated for a Golden Globe and won the National Board of Review Award for Sweeney Todd, yet was not nominated for the Oscar. Anything's possible.

Posted by WiCkEDrOcKS 2012-12-13 13:23:02

I really think the top Oscar is between LINCOLN, ZERO DARK, and ARGO. I think at this point, the critics are a little too divided over LES MIZ. But if it proves to be a huge sort of "last minute" box office hit of 2012, it could turn around.

I wonder if it'll win the Golden Globe. I'm guessing yes, since the GGs love musicals and love any movie that is ridiculously larger than life, which LES MIZ seems to be.

Posted by madbrian 2012-12-13 13:36:45

I think Silver Linings Playbook will be tough to beat for the comedy/musical Globe.

Posted by StageManager2 2012-12-13 13:41:52

I agree, madbrian. I haven't seen Silver Linings PLaybook although I've heard great things, but I assumed it was drama for some reason. Before the announcements this morning, I thought Les Miz had Picture Musical/Comedy and Actor Musical/Comedy in the bag, but SLP and Cooper could give them a run for their money.

Posted by best12bars 2012-12-13 13:59:13

If I had to use my power to see the future, I'd say Les Miz will get expected Oscar nominations for Picture, Actor, Supporting Actress, Art Direction, Costumes, Sound, Sound Mixing, Editing, Song, and Makeup. And maybe .... director.

I think it stands a good chance of winning Supporting Actress and Sound.

I would throw in Art Direction, but I have a feeling that will be the sole award for Anna Karenina ... with a possible second win for Costumes (but I think Lincoln will take that one).

EDIT: And that is based on hype, word of mouth, and hype, and also hype. Which is how the Oscars work.

Posted by newintown 2012-12-13 14:10:02

The complaints in this thread about Lincoln being long and talky remind me of the dilettante Emperor's complaint in Amadeus: "Too many notes!"

The movie is long, and the characters do talk; it's also a fascinating and well-done work about a fascinating person and period in our history (usually taught reductively in our schools, in order to be quickly and easily digested by tiny children).

When exactly did "long" and "talky" become only bad?

Posted by best12bars 2012-12-13 14:44:44

I loved Lincoln's length!

*waits for dirty giggles*

Actually, I've sat through 85-minute films that felt like weeklong marathons, and 4-hour epics that breezed by.

I had no urge to check my watch during Lincoln.

Posted by best12bars 2012-12-13 14:48:10

By the way ...

I overheard a loud woman in a restaurant say to her friend, "I think I'm gonna cut my hair like Anne Hathaway in Les Mizzeralle."

Posted by ray-andallthatjazz86 2012-12-13 14:51:29

Besty, that's what is so impressive about LINCOLN, the script, direction and acting were so engaging that I never felt like it was a long movie (until the last 10 minutes of the film or so), it just works so well. It felt like watching an amazing play, I was too enthralled to check my watch. And I completely agree, there's films that are less than 90 minutes and they feel eternal, I wanted to claw my eyes out watching CARNAGE, it felt like I was watching a 5 hour movie, nothing about it worked.
From these reviews LES MIZ looks like it'll be a nominee in some categories, but it's certainly not going to receive the kind of accolades LINCOLN, ARGO and even SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK.

Posted by newintown 2012-12-13 14:56:18

It does seem that the predictions of many, based solely upon early trailers, that Les Miz would be the Second Coming of Chicago were perhaps a bit premature.

Although I've little-to-no doubt that it will be better than those Phantom or Rent movies.

Posted by SonofRobbieJ 2012-12-13 14:58:02

LINCOLN is what Kushner does best: take political thought and deliberation and turn that into action.

Ever since reading Bright Room Called Day, I've been fascinated by political theater in which the debate is the driving force. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but in the hands of a master (and I would argue that Kushner is THE master of this particular type of writing) it becomes far more thrilling than any action film.

Posted by best12bars 2012-12-13 15:00:02

ray, I agree about the final minutes of Lincoln.

Without giving much away ...

SPOILER, BUT NOT REALLY TOO MUCH!!!

The film should have faded slowly to black as he walked down the stairs after his last line. That was a beautiful moment and a perfect, bittersweet, and profound way to do it.

Posted by broadwaybabywannabe2 2012-12-13 17:28:22

i 've seen SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK, and i think it is a wonderfully acted movie, but i was checking my cell phone time many times during the movie...***SPOILER ALERT****...i knew from the very first moment they met that they would get together by the end...it was only a matter of time...

so i do not see it getting BEST FILM over LES MIZ...the GLOBES love musicals more than comedy...for god's sake they gave SWEENEY TODD the BEST FILM award in it's catagory...

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-12-13 17:42:27

"SPOILER, BUT NOT REALLY TOO MUCH!!!

The film should have faded slowly to black as he walked down the stairs after his last line. That was a beautiful moment and a perfect, bittersweet, and profound way to do it."

Agree. But without what happens just before then: Stephen Henderson's watchful gaze as if he knows what is about to happen. You just knew it was only a matter of time before Spielberg's signature discrete cheesiness would betray the consistent intelligence of Lincoln. The next ten minutes are almost sufficiently imprudent to spoil what came before them.

But, thankfully, only almost. On balance, it's a very fine movie.

Posted by Kad 2012-12-13 18:34:30

I seriously hope the screenplay for Lincoln gets published, because I would love to just read it on the page.

I think Les Miz may get the Globe, because the Hollywood Foreign Press loves two things: stars and bigness.

Posted by StageManager2 2012-12-13 18:41:19

Well, they did give it to Evita over Fargo and Jerry Maguire, both Best Picture Oscar nominees, and Madonna over Frances McDormand, eventual Oscar winner, so I can see them giving it to Les Miz and Jackman over Silver Lining's Playbook and Cooper, respectively. (Hathaway goes without saying.)

Posted by Kad 2012-12-13 19:08:47

Hathaway is the surest award bet right now. Even the film's detractors and doubters are lavishing praise.

Posted by Auggie27 2012-12-14 07:55:09

The Lincoln screenplay has been semi-published. Everyone in the WGA got it this week with the screener. It's a "for your consideration" styled publication (though not marked thus) but suggests a real edition looms large. It's 126 pages, and extraordinarily dense, predictably.

Posted by madbrian 2012-12-14 08:45:36

I think Tommy Lee Jones is about as solid a lock as Hathaway.

Posted by bobs3 2012-12-14 09:34:29

^^
So is Daniel Day Lewis unless John Hawkes or Bradley Cooper pull an upset (like Adrien Brody-"The Pianist" did in 2002 when Day Lewis was considered the frontrunner for "Gangs of New York").

Posted by WiCkEDrOcKS 2012-12-14 10:25:46

I think Leonardo DiCaprio could pose a major threat to Best Supporting Actor. He's only gaining traction at this point, plus he's been nominated a crapload of times before and generally well-liked in the film community.

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-12-14 10:39:04

Isn't DiCaprio going to have competition from his Django costar Waltz?

Posted by WiCkEDrOcKS 2012-12-14 16:37:03

I personally don't think so. I think it'll be a bit of a shocker if Waltz is even nominated, actually. With extremely strong competition from Jones, Hoffman, DeNiro, Arkin, Goodman (in both ARGO and FLIGHT), Bardem, and even Eddie Redmayne & Ezra Miller, I would imagine Waltz will be shut out as (based on what I've read and heard) DiCaprio has the flashiest, hammiest, and most entertaining role in DJANGO.

Posted by mpd4165 2012-12-14 16:58:13

Don't be so sure. As critics awards continue to be announced, the supporting actor winner from Django has been Waltz over DiCaprio. This, plus both being nominated at the globes, gives both traction toward Oscar noms. I'm personally loving this awards season because it's all over the place and surprises may be in abundance when the Oscar nominations are announced.

Posted by ray-andallthatjazz86 2012-12-17 13:38:50

Another scathing review, this one from The Wrap:

Jackman over-articulates, over-gesticulates and pretty much over-everythings. Worse still are those moments where, rather than singing all his dialogue, he has to transition from speech to song within the same line. (“We’re leaving now, PACK YOUR THIIIIIIINGS!”) Even his “Bring Him Home” paled next to the version performed by that actor who came to Dallas 20 years ago, raising nary a hair on the back of my neck.

Hathaway, meanwhile, takes every opportunity to suck all the oxygen out of “I Dreamed a Dream,” the number that is this show’s “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going.” Earlier in the film, Fantine sells some of her back teeth to a shady dentist who promises to leave her “enough to bite.” Clearly, he also left her enough to gnash. It’s a ghastly, eyelid-fluttering, self-serving, sympathy-begging performance; Oscar voters are guaranteed to eat it up.

And then there’s poor Russell Crowe, who’s had success as a vocalist with his bands 30 Odd Foot of Grunts and the Ordinary Fear of God, but singing in a bar band and belting quasi-operatic Broadway songs are two very different things. He’s giving it his all but falling short throughout; you can tell from the strain that he’s singing on his tippytoes.

The one performer who stands out is Sasha Baron Cohen, who cuts through the rest of the film’s noble masochism with the grungily cynical “Master of the House.” (Helena Bonham Carter is lazily cast as the innkeeper’s shrewish wife.) But even Baron Cohen wears a bit thin by the fourth reprise or so.

Posted by ray-andallthatjazz86 2012-12-17 13:38:51

Another scathing review, this one from The Wrap:

Jackman over-articulates, over-gesticulates and pretty much over-everythings. Worse still are those moments where, rather than singing all his dialogue, he has to transition from speech to song within the same line. (“We’re leaving now, PACK YOUR THIIIIIIINGS!”) Even his “Bring Him Home” paled next to the version performed by that actor who came to Dallas 20 years ago, raising nary a hair on the back of my neck.

Hathaway, meanwhile, takes every opportunity to suck all the oxygen out of “I Dreamed a Dream,” the number that is this show’s “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going.” Earlier in the film, Fantine sells some of her back teeth to a shady dentist who promises to leave her “enough to bite.” Clearly, he also left her enough to gnash. It’s a ghastly, eyelid-fluttering, self-serving, sympathy-begging performance; Oscar voters are guaranteed to eat it up.

And then there’s poor Russell Crowe, who’s had success as a vocalist with his bands 30 Odd Foot of Grunts and the Ordinary Fear of God, but singing in a bar band and belting quasi-operatic Broadway songs are two very different things. He’s giving it his all but falling short throughout; you can tell from the strain that he’s singing on his tippytoes.

The one performer who stands out is Sasha Baron Cohen, who cuts through the rest of the film’s noble masochism with the grungily cynical “Master of the House.” (Helena Bonham Carter is lazily cast as the innkeeper’s shrewish wife.) But even Baron Cohen wears a bit thin by the fourth reprise or so.

Posted by Dave19 2012-12-18 06:28:20

I have 2 questions for the people who have seen the film;

Is the "lalalala" part, reprise "castle on a cloud" still there? Followed by the reprise of "I dreamed a dream" where Valjean sings "Now her mother is with god, Fantine's suffering is over"?

And does Amanda Seyfried sing the hight note in "A heart full of love"? And how does it sound?

Thanks

Posted by WiCkEDrOcKS 2012-12-20 11:25:31

Yet another bad review from a critic I usually agree with, Michael Phillips. He gives it 1 and a half stars out of four. These reviews, on top of the very, very disappointing "One Day More" clip are making me very nervous... http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/movies/sc-mov-1221-les-miz-20121220,0,6890419.column

Posted by StageManager2 2012-12-20 11:31:57

Here's the audio of Crowe's "Stars" if anyone wants to dare:

http://ianjonbourgandethanfreeman.tumblr.com/post/38351966936/stars-russell-crowe-no-tagging-reblogging

Frankly, he sounds like he's in a karaoke bar. haha

Posted by SporkGoddess 2012-12-20 13:01:30

Yeah, a lot of these reviews seem to have issues with the musical itself and even plot points from the original novel. I would also argue that they seem to be misunderstanding some of it (for instance, why Javert commits suicide).

But the concern that Hooper shoots an epic story too intimately is a valid and huge issue to me.

It also sounds like this movie is just a tearjerker, and the way the critics are talking it's like Oskar Gold from American Dad. That kind of concerns me as well because Les Mis should inspire some tears and a lot of emotion, but IMO it shouldn't be a sobfest either.

Posted by WiCkEDrOcKS 2012-12-20 16:07:40

http://www.richardroeper.com/reviews/lesmiserables.aspx

Richard Roeper, on the other hand, gives it an A. He calls it a "triumph" and the best movie musical of the decade.

And the NY Post is positive with three stars out of four; basically, he loves Hathaway, Jackman, Redmayne, Barks, etc, but thought the constant close-ups (which many critics seem to be taking issue with) and constantly larger-than-life direction are too overwhelming and hinder the film.

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/movies/les_miserables_may_cause_weeping_Y3Ra6snZsgWBxC0SPhW5vJ?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=Movies

It should be noted that the other NY Post film critic, Kyle Smith, ranked LES MIZ as his #1 film of the year.

Posted by all that jazz 2012-12-21 09:02:46

Ok, so I have been literally forcing myself not to watch any of the leaked videos. I'm beyond obsessed with Les Mis!!! But I'm posting because I'm sick of people trashing on movies like RENT, Phantom, Nine and someone even dared to mention Evita! I kind of understand the phantom hate but why Rent? In my opinion it’s a gorgeous film which brings tears to my eyes every time I see it. Evita is just a masterpiece, why would anyone hate on it? (My guess is Madonna, whom I loved) And Nine was the first musical I saw which actually made me cry!!! I was fourteen years old when I saw it and it was the first adult musical I ever saw. It made me solidify my aspirations as an artist, and I still get Goosebumps every time I see it. Why all the hate towards these movie musicals? We should be grateful they're still filming musicals in this era of bad taste and no appreciation for the arts.

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-12-21 10:20:19

Why do some people get sick about people disagreeing with them about movies or shows? It comes with the territory. People respond differently to different things and different ways of presenting those things. I'm curious why some can't simply accept this as part of the deal: people who care passionately about performance are going to disagree. There's no way around it and no reason to get sick about it.

If we didn't have different opinions, what would be the purpose of coming to places like bww to discuss our impressions? Or of reading professional critics, who are just as likely to disagree with each other as we are, in reviews?

I disagree with you about the movie of Evita (not that I would trash it, but I don't think it's very good) but it doesn't sicken me to read your rhapsodic review of it or the review of someone who likes it less or far less than I did. Similarly, there are things that I love that many people have trashed. Rather than being distressed by others not sharing my opinion, it's interesting to me to discuss why we came away with different impressions of what we had seen.

It's a movie. Sharing our views should be fun. It's not as if we are discussing going to war.

Posted by My Oh My 2012-12-21 20:53:42

I have no problem with your love for movie musicals I felt were just OK like Rent, AllThatJazz.

I do wish you'd put a little more effort in explaining why we shouldn't say what we really feel, should settle, and be grateful for whatever bone is thrown at us. You'd think with someone of your passion, you'd at least give a good explanation. As of now, I gather you are upset that we are saying anything negative about works from an art form we obviously love and are more than just a little bit grateful for. And your criteria for determining quality is number of tears? Emotion and tears? Onions make me tear up every time and they make me feel very big emotion (pain in the eye). Of course, I'm being ridiculous. But I know that.

I like my bones with meat on them, btw.

Posted by JP2 2012-12-21 21:14:20

Rolling Stone is a rave and gives it 3.5/4 stars.

"No one expects gutsy filmmaking in a musical. But that's just what King's Speech Oscar winner Tom Hooper delivers in Les Misérables. The massive 1980s stage smash is adapted from Victor Hugo's even more massive 1862 novel spun around the 1832 Paris student uprising. There's no spoken dialogue! Everyone sings! All the time! For nearly three hours! Think rock opera, like the Who's Tommy. If that drives you nuts, screw off and see the stupid Twilight finale again."

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/les-miserables-20121221#ixzz2Fk7flIBR

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2012-12-21 21:54:23

Love that last part you posted from the review! haha.

Posted by ray-andallthatjazz86 2012-12-22 01:21:28

No one expects gutsy filmmaking in a musical.

Love that Rolling Stones liked it, but this quote bothered me. Have they not seen a movie musical like ever? Off the top of my head WEST SIDE STORY, SINGIN' IN THE RAIN, CABARET, MOULIN ROUGE and CHICAGO all have moments of risky, complex and "gutsy" filmmaking, and that's just to name a few. I hate so much the way that people, particularly film critics who you think should know better, have this completely inaccurate idea of movie musicals as generic, conventional and safe.

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-12-22 10:29:31

Peter Travers likes almost everything.

Posted by darquegk 2012-12-22 13:01:12

All That Jazz and Chicago are the kind of "gutsy" that Rolling Stone appears to be referring to here- high-art, somewhat experimental films.

It's not that Les Mis is a good movie that is "gutsy," nor the level of performances. It's the "gutsy" use of highly experimental film style and techniques- live singing, Tom Hooper's famously-idiosyncratic shooting methods, and the dramatic reinvention of a pop-operetta score as "spoken dialogue, sung."

Posted by songanddanceman2 2012-12-22 13:13:12

It would appear quite a few of the negative reviews just don't seem to like musicals or indeed understand them. To say Hathaway sucks the oxygen out of the song is silly, if anything she gives it heart and power rather than doing it as the typical broadway belt song. One of the big critics here in the uk hated it, he also hated Chicago, Hairspray, Dreamgirls etc, all films that got stellar reviews here.

Posted by Dave19 2012-12-22 16:47:17

I was thinking, because they recorded the live vocals with a boom microphone, which had to be quite close to their faces, could that be the reason for the many close-ups?
A wider shot would mean a much bigger distance from boom to face.

Posted by Someone in a Tree2 2012-12-22 17:21:12

I'd read somewhere that the singing was generally recorded with body mics that were digitally removed in post. The long closeups were certainly an aesthetic choice, not a result of technical limitations with mics.

Posted by My Oh My 2012-12-22 19:08:00

I also don't buy that the musical has seen a dramatic reinvention in this so-called dialogue-singing innovation.

Why do people just repeat things without first thinking about whether or not they believe them, and why?

I know the powers that be have been cheering their stunning insight and ingenious innovations that are redefining the whole genre forever, but I'm willing to forgive them since they have a multi-million dollar film to pimp and business to tend to.

But, really, does anyone REALLY believe anything groundbreaking in terms of how the performances are approached by the actors is being introduced to the world via the film version of Les Mis?

Speak-singing is hardly new and they don't do it here in a mystically special way. They speak sing at times, yes. They also act at the same time. And sing, they also sing on top of that. I admit, it's impressive.

But not new or groundbreaking and it doesn't somehow cause it to magically divorce itself from its theatrical roots.

This film celebrates the theatre, theatrical techniques, live performance, all things that live theatre has already mastered and can do in its sleep. I don't see the rationale in deeming it more special because it's on film, and especially, that it somehow is no longer theatre.

It IS theatre...adapted.

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2012-12-22 21:22:46

I completely agree with that assessment My Oh My.

It's all hype to sell the film. I mean when all is said and done (or sung or sung/talked) they really didn't re-invent the wheel.

Posted by CHOOKA2 2012-12-23 02:35:50

I had a good cry at the end.
Negatives-Russell Crowe-Good God-that wasn't singing, Amanda,looks pretty-too shrill and wobbly voice,;Samantha looked too much like straight out of American Idol[sounded good]Hugh had his moments but never realised his part only has one good song;those close ups--couldn't look.Master of the House--dreadful--so much business going on detracted from the song-the STAR-Eddie Redmayne saved the show-award him something.
To sum up--why bother,leave these things on stage where they belong oh and Aron Tevit I thought--finally, someone who can actually sing

Posted by Dave19 2012-12-23 09:10:33

My Oh My, I completely agree.

"But not new or groundbreaking and it doesn't somehow cause it to magically divorce itself from its theatrical roots."

It IS theatre. And the speak/singing, acting through song, make it real and film-ish has always been there. In fact, I have seen many stage Valjeans give a much more film-like performance than the theatrical Hugh Jackman.

They try to twist it around. They try to give the "film method" a subtle and realistic image, because in theatre everything is too big, while in fact theatre is often extremely subtle and Hughs performance in the film often lacks subtlety and nuances.

Posted by ljay889 2012-12-23 12:30:57

I find it interesting that the SWEENEY TODD film had far more positive reviews than LES MIS currently has. But Sweeney only received 4 Oscar nominations. LES MIS seems to be a more "lovable" and heartwarming piece - so I can see it getting more Oscar love.

Posted by JP2 2012-12-23 12:38:59

"To sum up--why bother,leave these things on stage where they belong oh and Aron Tevit I thought--finally, someone who can actually sing"

I'm gonna let you in on a little secret - and this may come as a surprise, but the stage show does indeed still exist. Though, perhaps even that should have been left as a book, where it belongs.

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2012-12-23 14:12:28

For all the above the title box office names in this, for all the talk of Anne Hathaway's revelatory version of "I Dreamed A Dream" (which was everything it should be...and then some), I will have to say that the two that impressed me THE MOST and ALMOST WALKED AWAY with this film were: Eddie Redmayne and Samantha Barks. Beautiful performances from both!

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-12-25 10:36:56

Strangely, The Times Review mentions Bogdanovich's They All Laughed as an example of a musical that used live singing. Dargis obviously meant his At Long Last Love. Dargis found Jackman's performance to suffer most from Hooper's approach.

Meanwhile many critics who don't like the movie seemed to have gotten the same memo: anticipate that the movie, in spite of their objections, has oscar written all over it, and drive the point home.

Posted by Auggie27 2012-12-26 18:32:47

I've talked to a number of people who've had my impression: I liked the movie, but also see the logic and sound reasoning around every objection raised in the reviews. As far as movie-making goes, it's an acceptable adaptation, with distinctive performances; yet it's also a long slog of a film, unrelenting and even monotonous at times. That lovely early moment with the the wind blowing a single object -- and us -- toward a new location and the future is a rare bit of cinematic sleight of hand that isn't employed later. We get a lot of business and claustrophobia when the story calls out for some breathing room around its set pieces. For me, at about the hour and forty-five point, the pile-on of death told through tearful songs starts to wear us down. We're captive because we're emotionally engaged, and the music is still coming at us, all familiar, sometimes soaring, yet sometimes repetitive in extreme. If the film had more visual variety, some still and quiet moments that matched a couple of early ones (how I'd love another honest exterior, with real sky framing something small and therefore more precious to us in the audience), if it stopped jumping and pushing and reminding us of its relentlessness, we might feel less oppressed by the sheer weight of it all. At nearly two hours and forty minutes, without a break (the intermission in the theater more appreciated, now), it's a heavy excursion, no matter how melodic and heart-tugging. And I'm long a fan of the stage show, having seen it at the Barbicon 3 weeks into the very first London run.