Printer Friendly - Performers You Used To Like, But Now...Not So Much.

Performers You Used To Like, But Now...Not So Much.
Posted by Patti LuPone FANatic 2012-12-04 20:11:46

I hope my Friend of Dorothy card is not revoked, but I'm starting to not like Ethel Merman. Whenever I listen to her on Sirius XM on Broadway, her voice is coming across as annoying. I mean, I used to like her strength and power, but there's really not much variety in her musical approaches. I understand her appeal and all throughout the years, but Ethel's voice is now more of an irritant than anything else. from RC in Austin, Texas

Posted by Idiot 2012-12-04 20:16:31

Confession: LuPone's book made me like her a tiny bit less.

Posted by CATSNYrevival 2012-12-04 20:47:58

Tony Vincent. Not after his JCS twitter bashing.

Posted by Emmaloucbway 2012-12-04 21:00:38

Morgan James, but I never REALLY liked her. The worst was after the Into the Woods incident.

Posted by broadwaydevil 2012-12-04 21:11:15

Agree re: Tony Vincent. He used to be one of my favorite young actors and now he's gone off the deep end and I haven't liked him in much recently (including that awful appearance on the Voice.)

Posted by GlindatheGood22 2012-12-04 22:25:03

I was a huge Sutton Foster fan during Little Women (I know. I was twelve.) but now I think I'm bored with her.

Posted by Roomba 2012-12-04 22:28:14

Came here to say Sutton Foster but was beat to the punch. I used to be enamored with her, and now I'm just "meh" on her in terms of being surprised.

Posted by givesmevoice 2012-12-04 22:31:46

I was never a huge Sutton fan, but I certainly was a much more enthusiastic audience than I am now. Anything Goes was a disappointment for me, and I'm kind of just over her whole ~dorky~ persona.

I also used to be a huge Bernadette Peters fan, and no longer am.

Posted by FindingNamo 2012-12-04 22:34:15

Madonna.

Posted by TonyVincent 2012-12-04 22:41:02

Agreed on Tony Vincent. Chose my username after him in my ignorant youth. Soured on him during his shrieking episodes on the Voice, and my disillusionment was only confirmed with Twittergate.

Posted by eatlasagna 2012-12-04 23:12:07

I agree with givesmevoice on Sutton... I mean I still like her but not as much.. same goes for Kristin Chenowith for the same reason...

Posted by ggersten 2012-12-04 23:37:26

Idina Menzel
Was neutral about Matthew Broderick, but now, don't like.

Posted by CurtainPullDowner 2012-12-04 23:47:08

The Pone.
I was pretty crazy about her years ago, but then she became a shrew to work with and a broad caraciture of herself.
I want the old girk back.

Posted by BroomstickBoy 2012-12-05 00:04:56

Kristin Chenoweth.

I believe she has a wonderful voice, and I loved her on Pushing Daisies and GCB, but not much else. And she has ruined her face with all the plastic surgery.

She looked her best between the Kudisch and Wicked years.

Posted by SNAFU 2012-12-05 00:12:58

Namo made me LOL!

Posted by After Eight 2012-12-05 08:40:21

Mark Rylance.

Excellent in Boeing-Boeing.

Obnoxious Tony Award speech.

Fussy and self-conscious in La Bete and Jerusalem.

Posted by AC126748 2012-12-05 08:49:27

I have similar feelings re: Rylance. BOEING-BOEING felt like a breath of fresh air. Then LA BETE seemed like tired schtick. And JERUSALEM was more feat of endurance than performance.

Posted by Roscoe 2012-12-05 09:30:01

Mark Rylance. Saw him in London do RICHARD II, marvelous. Saw him in Brooklyn do MEASURE FOR MEASURE, marvelous. Saw BOEING BOEING, marvelous. Then LA BETE, then JERSUSALEM, and I'm not sure I'd bother seeing him again.

Posted by madbrian 2012-12-05 09:33:46

Matthew Broderick. Although he was terrific in his guest role on Modern Family, I don't like much of his recent work. And he was such a terrific young actor.

Posted by artscallion 2012-12-05 09:38:22

Kristen Chenoweth and Bernadette Peters. I used to be a huge fan of both. Now I think they're overused...and in all the wrong parts.

Posted by EponineAmneris 2012-12-05 09:58:42

Sad to see Matthew, Patti, Bernadette and Kristin's name in this thread

But to answer the thread... As much as it (sort-of) pains me... Idina Menzel. Perhaps now that I am older and can REALLY listen and pay attention, her terrible technique and "one-trick pony" style is, well... boring.

Posted by Mattbrain 2012-12-05 10:02:35

I'm sure Mr. newintown has a list a mile long.

There that's my dig out of the way.

In all seriousness, I'll start with the ones most people have brought up the most, namely Patti. I still enjoy her in performance but when she's bitching about the sound system in theaters in interviews, it's like, "Just man up and take a damn Tylenol."

As for Tony...yeah, Twittergate.

Never even got around to liking Morgan James. Heh.

One that most people probably won't bring up is German musical theater actor Uwe Kroger. He was like THE number one star in Germany and Austria years ago but around '08 or '09 or so...he blew out his voice. And he's still tryin' to keep up his career. And it's sad.

Can't respect Hunter Foster and Jen Cody too much these days. Or Christopher Seiber for that matter.

John Lloyd Young...need I say more?!

Natascia Diaz...all you have to do is read her quote in The Theater Will Rock and/or look at her Facebook page to know she is a nightmare to work with and totally full of herself.

With Sutton, it was the complete opposite for me. I don't like Millie or Little Women but she started to grow on me after Drowsy. Even enjoyed her in Anything Goes.

Posted by Wynbish 2012-12-05 10:05:54

Adam Pascal

I was young. I was foolish. I was a huge Aida fan and wanted my Radames.

Posted by AC126748 2012-12-05 10:15:19

Maybe if I worked in the performance/production sphere of theatre I'd feel differently, but I don't think I've ever stopped liking a performer because of their personality. I try to separate talent from personal behavior.

Posted by newintown 2012-12-05 10:34:41

" I'm sure Mr. newintown has a list a mile long."

Bitch.

I can only think of 2, and they were already named - Bernadette and Chenoweth. I don't hate 'em, I just don't enjoy their performances as much as earlier. Chenoweth has become pretty shrill and hysterical, and Bernadette is resorting to over-acting to mask an aging voice.

So - ha! You're negative list is longer than mine.

Posted by jdrye222 2012-12-05 11:34:05

I have tons of them, but just a couple ---

Sutton Foster - loved her in MILLIE and thought she was boring in everything since.

Michael Cerveris - great in ASSASSINS, but now he's almost embarrassingly bad in EVITA

Liz Callaway - as she gets older, it's more and more clear she can't act AT ALL, even while singing and sounding glorious

Posted by little_sally 2012-12-05 13:53:45

I used to love Hunter Foster and Michael Cerveris around the time of Urinetown and Assassins but now I feel like Foster hasn't given a decent performance since then, and Cerveris is just doing very poor variations of his performance of Booth.

Norbert Leo Butz is becoming incredibly one-note to me as well.

I've also grown to dislike Idina Menzel's voice. It's nothing personal, nor does it have anything to do with her fans or her role in Wicked either.

Posted by Patti LuPone FANatic 2012-12-05 14:04:49

Does anyone agree with me about Ethel Merman? Her voice is annoying to me now. from RC in Austin, Texas

Posted by greensgreens 2012-12-05 14:53:13

I think it's fascinating how much these performers' personalities and personal lives are coloring peoples' choices. I rarely give a care about what someone does in their personal life or what they're like to work with (obv. I'm not in the industry, just a fan). I only care about the quality of their performance.

That being said, Bernadette hasn't really done anything that has interested me in years. And it pains me to say that.

Posted by PalJoey 2012-12-05 14:59:17

If this doesn't restore your love for Merman nothing will:

http://youtu.be/-kdggcQhysQ

Posted by givesmevoice 2012-12-05 15:12:27

That being said, Bernadette hasn't really done anything that has interested me in years. And it pains me to say that.

I think the thing for me is that she's just being a very static performer and personality. I wish she'd let her...acting style and choices mature as she did. I totally understand why people aren't fans of LuPone's, but one thing that keeps me interested and engaged with her is the sheer variety of projects she's done over the years. Peters isn't branching out and growing as a performer in the same way, in my opinion.

Posted by fingerlakessinger 2012-12-05 16:34:37

Colm Wilkinson. I'm sorry, when I was younger I used to LOVE the 10th Anniversary Concert of Les Miserables. Now, when I hear him sing he sounds so pretentious or something. I can't put my finger on it, but the way he sings just annoys me. Along with his acting. He has become one of my least favorite male Broadway stars.

Posted by jakebloke 2012-12-05 20:18:45

Patti Lupon FANatic: I totally agree with you on Ethel Merman.....tho I've always found her annoying. But I kind of feel the same way about Patti Lupone. Sure, she can sing, but its just not pleasant to listen to.

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-05 20:24:39

"I think it's fascinating how much these performers' personalities and personal lives are coloring peoples' choices."

As much as sometimes you try to separate the personal from the performance, sometimes certain people are just very unsavory, or you have had experiences with them that are hard to forget about. I think most people who work in this industry struggle with figuring out where the line is. However, I certainly understand how certain sour personalities or profoundly upsetting experiences, especially when you are working or interacting with an idol of yours, can take away from enjoying that person onstage.

Posted by BroomstickBoy 2012-12-05 22:16:59

Awww, thanks for the Merman clip PalJoey.

I love when she duets with Miss Piggy in that episode.

Posted by Rabekriegerin 2012-12-05 23:34:54

Mattbrain - I'll join you with Uwe. Not that I like his old performances any less, but I don't enjoy him today the way I did when I first discovered his work. This is a big thing for me, as he was my gateway into the German theater world. (I added Vienna to an overseas trip specifically because he was playing there. Certainly worth it - the man still has incredible stage presence, despite what has befallen his voice - and doubly so because there began my love affair with Drew Sarich's vocal instrument.)

Some of the others have already been mentioned, and for the last few, I hesitate to name them. Because they still are great, and I do still enjoy them, just not nearly as much as I once did.

Posted by Thparkaly 2012-12-06 01:10:05

Nathan Lane has been getting on my nerves for a while now. I feel as if he is Nathan Lane playing Nathan Lane playing a role. I don't think I've ever said that mans name that many times either.

Posted by someone.else's.story2 2012-12-06 10:16:41

I've got to agree on Colm Wilkinson! I enjoyed him when I was younger but now, his over singing and weird enunciation just seems pretentious. I feel pretty much the same about Mandy Patinkin. He seems like a parody of himself these days and also has a strange, fake sounding way of pronouncing and over enuncination.

I also am not on the Sutton train )I find her *okay* but rather bland and certainly overrated.

And, to me, Kristen Chenoweth seems somewhat like Patinkin in that she has become a parody of herself as well and sorely lacks in both acting skill and range. I thought she was okay I'm Wicked but I haven't liked her work much since.

Posted by Wynbish 2012-12-06 10:20:18

I was in awe of Sarah Brightman because I was in awe of the Phantom OLC recording. But now, with her singing through a Zoolander face and odd choices for song material, not so much.

Posted by Bettyboy72 2012-12-06 11:40:34

I think in today's media culture performers personalities are much more known. I think celebs should try to cultivate some level of mystique. For example, I HATE Saturday Intermission Pics on Twitter. I don't want to know what people do between acts. Makes most actors look like attention starved morons-especially Max Von Essen laying out naked. WTF? Get a life.

I'm really over Cheno and Menzel-over their shrill voices and Cheno's careening into camp. She's better than that.

Mandy Patinkin-just yuck, yuck, yuck.

Karen Olivo-have attempted 6 times to see her. She was never there. I think that speaks volumes to her. She's dead to me.

The TOS gang. Lovely, but completely self absorbed by their own percieved wit. Their last show was not well recieved but they begged for money to record it because they believe their message is so important. That show will not have a life after their little run. A cast recording is self serving. They need to move on.

Posted by Nettik 2012-12-06 12:10:40

Sutton Foster, for sure. I love her voice on the OBC of Thoroughly Modern Millie, but find her grating pretty much anywhere else.

Posted by taboo123 2012-12-06 12:27:07

Idina Menzel
Kristin Chenowith
Tony Vincent

Posted by Kelly2 2012-12-06 13:44:47

"I think in today's media culture performers personalities are much more known. I think celebs should try to cultivate some level of mystique. For example, I HATE Saturday Intermission Pics on Twitter. I don't want to know what people do between acts. Makes most actors look like attention starved morons-especially Max Von Essen laying out naked. WTF? Get a life."

OMG, thank you for saying that. This is why I don't follow performers I don't know personally, to me it completely ruins the illusion. I don't want to know that you have bad gas from your Chipotle while I'm watching you belt for your life. Thanks though!

Posted by Auggie27 2012-12-06 13:50:47

Mr. Broderick. And I feel guilty about it, because I thought he was a wonder in his youth, up through his Leo, which was for my money the more compelling of the two lead performances in PRODUCERS. But I find his work in his current show not so nice, and I don't get it. It's subjective, this unkind appraisal but: to my eyes, at 50 he's still holding on (far too) tightly to the boyish shtick, and I find it impossible to watch without seeing all the huffing and puffing and push.

Posted by fingerlakessinger 2012-12-06 16:38:11

Mandy! I forgot about him. Yea I don't like him!

Posted by Franciouqu 2012-12-06 19:58:54

Kristin is the most amazing person on earth

Posted by Franciouqu 2012-12-06 20:05:43

AC126748 I must be have imagined Mark Rylance winning a Tony for Jerusalem , it must have been a dream. I will today start taking my medication for something that clearly did not happen as I must be going insane and imagining things that did not happen.

Posted by Huss417 2012-12-06 23:30:44

Really? Is that a promise?

Posted by Wynbish 2012-12-07 00:13:09

Is it arsenic? Doesn't it need to be?

Posted by FishermanBob 2012-12-07 00:56:56

John Wilkes Booth. Loved him in everything but then after that thing with Lincoln, just can't get into his performances now.

Of the current crop, I'll vote for Sutton. Her twangy singing has worn thin for me.

Posted by KylePKJP 2013-02-24 18:17:16

Going with Kelly2 BettyBoy re. Max Von Essen.
Another nude shot of him in yesterday's SIPs.
Dude sure has a starving for attention/confidence problem.
He seems like a douche. BUT I have never met him and he may very
well be a great guy.

Posted by Emma White 2013-02-24 20:28:49

I used to love Idina Menzel but now I can't stand her.

I was a big Patti Lupone fan for a while but I've kind of gotten over her and, as someone else said, her book bothered me a bit.

I still love Sutton Foster but her voice doesn't transfer well to recording, I find. I have the 2011 Anything Goes soundtrack but I can't really listen to it too much because her voice starts to irritate me. (She's an amazing dancer though!)