Printer Friendly -

FROG KISS starring Curtis Holbrook, Stephanie Rothenberg, Chris Hoch, Aiesa De Haas
Posted by Jose 2012-11-28 15:50:20

Hi folks. I’m going to do some promotion for my partner Charles’ musical FROG KISS with music by Eric Schorr.

The cast has just been announced (see Playbill link below) I’m happy to say that Curtis Holbrook will be recreating his award-winning role as the Frog in FROG KISS beginning in January at Virginia Stage Company, Norfolk. The book and lyrics of FROG KISS were written by Charles Leipart, and the music by Eric Schorr.

This “saucy and bawdy” FROG KISS received more Citations of Excellence than any other musical at NYMF 2010, including Curtis' award for "Outstanding Individual Performance."

Joining Curtis (WEST SIDE STORY 2009, XANADU, ALL SHOOK UP, TABOO, THE BOY FROM OZ, HAIRSPRAY film) at Virginia Stage will be Stephanie Rothenberg (HOW TO SUCCEED, 2011-12) as the Princess Clementine; Chris Hoch (LA CAGE 2010, SPAMALOT, SHREK, DRACULA, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST) as King Frederick; Aiesha De Haas (MARTIN SHORT FAME BECOMES ME, CAROLINE OR CHANGE, RENT, BRING IN ‘DA NOISE) as Queen Margot; Katie Lee Hill as Hortense; Preston Truman Boyd as Klaus; and Joseph Anthony Byrd, Paul Castree, Emily Drennan and Diane Phelan are featured as the Tao Masters.

The creative and design team is filled with TONY Award winners and nominees. This production reunites Curtis with alumni of the NYMF 2010 production: Director Kenneth L. Roberson (choreographer of AVENUE Q); Choreographer Lorna Ventura; Music Director Zane Mark (LEAP OF FAITH, ALL SHOOK UP, DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS, NEVER GONNA DANCE, THE FULL MONTY, BRING IN ‘DA NOISE); Orchestrator Daryl Waters (MEMPHIS, THE COLOR PURPLE, BRING IN ‘DA NOISE, JELLY’S LAST JAM, LEADER OF THE PACK). Set Designer is Neil Patel (WONDERLAND, title of show); Costume Designer is Paul Tazewell (STREETCAR 2012, SUPERSTAR, 2012, LOMBARDI, MEMPHIS, IN THE HEIGHTS, HOT FEE, THE COLOR PURPLE, CAROLINE OR CHANGE, ELAINE STRITCH AT LIBERTY, BRING IN ‘DA NOISE); Lighting Designer is Howell Binkley (A CHRISTMAS STORY 2012, SUPERSTAR 2012, HOW TO SUCCEED 2011 and 1995, MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET, MEMPHIS, WEST SIDE STORY 2009, GYPSY 2008, IN THE HEIGHTS, XANADU, JERSEY BOYS, AVENUE Q, THE FULL MONTY, PARADE, GREASE 1994, KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN); Sound Designer is Peter Fitzgerald (PRISCILLA QUEEN OF THE DESERT, LA CAGE 2004 and 1983, BIG RIVER, URBAN COWBOY, MOVIN OUT, 42ND STREET 2001, SWING, THE LIFE, VICTOR/VICTORIA, HELLO, DOLLY! 1995, FALSETTOS, WILL ROGERS FOLLIES, CITY OF ANGELS, GYPSY starring Tyne Daly, JERRY’S GIRLS, SINGIN IN THE RAIN).

Here’s a sample of what reviewers and theatre bloggers said of the NYMF 2010 production:

“...A heck of an entertaining musical comedy by any standards, Broadway included...”

“Sometimes you just need a fun and comical musical to take you away and that is exactly what I found in ...’Frog Kiss’...hilarious and entertaining musical comedy...”

“...Easy to embrace; A perennial, familiar heartwarming tale of acceptance, it is the lyrics and assemblage of characters that bring us originality...Excellent music...lyrics are immensely enjoyable.”

“...The majestically talented Charles Leipart (book and lyrics) and Eric Shorr (music) have taken the well-trodden story of the frog prince, given it a thoroughly modern and zen-like makeover and turned it into the enchanting Frog Kiss.”

FROG KISS plays at Virginia Stage, Norfolk, from January 15 - February 3, 2013. If you’re in or around Norfolk try to catch the Kiss. You will have a fun time. I promise.

I mean, have you ever even seen a tap-dancing Frog?

FROG KISS starring Curtis Holbrook, Stephanie Rothenberg, Chris Hoch, Aiesa De Haas
Posted by Patti LuPone FANatic 2012-11-28 19:19:47

Good luck to Curtis Holbrook (and the cast). He's a fellow Texan from San Antonio (I think). Best of luck....from RC in Austin, Texas