Printer Friendly - Any thoughts on Ann by Holland Taylor?

Any thoughts on Ann by Holland Taylor?
Posted by macnyc 2012-11-26 12:32:29

I'm interested in seeing this, and I'm wondering if tickets will be discounted. I know Holland Taylor is a big name, but the Vivian Beaumont seems like a large venue for a one-woman show. (At least, I think it's a one-woman show.) Has anyone seen it?

Posted by Owen22 2012-11-26 12:43:53

Yes, that the show is taking up valuable "big stage" space at the Vivian Beaumont. What the f*ck are they thinking?????

Posted by Deena Jones 2012-11-26 13:11:48

Agreed Owen...

Posted by broadwaydevil 2012-11-26 14:15:18

I saw it in Chicago and it is phenomenal! Holland Taylor is incredible as well.

That said, I would imagine it will have trouble filling the Beaumont. Since Lincoln Center is a producer though and War Horse is playing to half empty houses, I guess they figure they can fill the house with subscribers at first and maybe get some Tony buzz to fill the house for a while.

Not sure why they wouldn't look into somewhere like the Booth which LCT has used in the past for smaller-scale productions like Other Desert Cities. Is the Booth available in the Spring after Virginia Woolf closes?

Posted by americanboy99 2012-11-26 16:14:03

I was so excited for this before reading this review (http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/a-texas-icon-roars-again-ann-richards-the-subject-of-ann/2011/12/21/gIQALsjSAP_story.html) but hopefully that's not how I will feel as well. Still looking forward to it and I love any excuse to make it to the Vivian Beaumont.

Posted by theaternut 2012-11-26 16:54:52

Really? She is a name? I know she is well respected in the Lesbian community. But a name?

Posted by macnyc 2012-11-26 17:00:31

She's no Tom Hanks, but she's done quite a lot.

The Wash Post review wasn't THAT bad, I thought.

Posted by uncageg 2012-11-26 17:02:32

Saw a readinng and really enjoyed it.

Posted by DAME 2012-11-26 18:57:08

Being a name and having done quite a lot are two different things.

Posted by TalkinLoud 2012-11-26 20:06:12

They obviously didn't have a show ready to go into this space, so why let it sit empty?

Posted by macnyc 2012-11-26 20:29:10

I guess that's a good point, but I'm wondering if the theater will be intimate enough or could be made to feel intimate to properly showcase a one-woman show. I guess we'll see soon enough!

I described Holland Taylor as a big name on the basis of her role on Two and a Half Men, which has been one of the top-ranked shows on TV for all of its eight-year run. It's not a lead role, of course, but she makes an impression.

Posted by Owen22 2012-11-27 11:38:13

I am only upset for the already stated reason about using the Beaumont stage for an intimate one person show. I love Holland Taylor AND Ann Richards, and am looking forward to the show. But I'd bet it would be a lot more enjoyable if it wasn't in a cavern.