Printer Friendly - Comments on Les Miserables movie

Comments on Les Miserables movie
Posted by jo 2012-11-22 18:27:05

Baz Bamigboye of the UK Daily Mail shares what he could from the screening of Les Miserables that he has seen --

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2237100/Les-Miserables-Grippingly-emotional-film-adaptation-looks-like-real-joy-watch.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

>>Hugh Jackman said the film of Les Miserables would revolutionise the way people viewed movie musicals.

The actor plays Jean Valjean in Tom Hooper’s stirring film version of the award-winning musical by Claude-Michel Schonberg, Alain Boublil and Herbert Kretzmer.

When I spoke to him, during filming at Pinewood Studios, he explained why. ‘We sing as we act, rather than lay down songs weeks in advance,’ he said. ‘It makes it much more realistic — particularly with a gritty story like this.’

People lucky enough to be invited to private screenings of Les Miserables this week told me that having the actors sing live, as it were, added a grippingly emotional intensity to the picture (which is already pretty emotional!).

One showing yesterday in central London left the audience moved to tears.

Viewers I spoke to praised the film’s ‘breathtaking’ appearance, and the performance of stars, including Jackman and Anne Hathaway.

They revealed that Russell Crowe, as Inspector Javert, had a scene-stealing moment halfway through which allowed cinema-goers to have a quiet sob.

People who caught yesterday’s screening seemed equally impressed by the younger actors, mentioning Eddie Redmayne’s knockout Marius, Samantha Barks’ moving Eponine, Amanda Seyfried’s touching Cosette, and Aaron Tveit’s enjoyable Enjolras.

And Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter bring the house down as the Thenardiers, unsurprisingly.

I have seen Les Miserables, too, but I’m not allowed to write about it yet, alas.

The fact it’s even ready this far ahead of its January 11 UK opening date (its world premiere is in London on December 5) is a tribute to director Hooper’s tenacity (and that of producers Eric Fellner, Tim Bevan, Cameron Mackintosh and Debra Hayward).

Les Miserables will be a major Oscar and Bafta contender.<<<

Posted by bobs3 2012-11-22 19:36:17

I had a very good feeling that HBC and SBC were going to steal every scene they are in. They were born to play the Thenardiers.

Posted by MattDe 2012-11-22 19:54:07

A very confusing and hard to understand musical in my opinion.

Posted by jimmycurry01 2012-11-22 20:03:43

Really? How so? I always felt like the plot was nicely streamlined and quite easy to follow on stage.

Posted by broadwaydevil 2012-11-22 20:29:48

Javet = cop, Val John = bad guy but maybe good maybe confusing who knows...do not understand? Fanteen = lady but maybe not maybe mommy maybe prostitute. Cosetee = little girl but then big girl very confusing.

War = something like French Revolution, barrikade = something like a fence, Marius = student or not or soldier or confusing, idk.
Enjoorlahs = angry boy, calm down, why so mad?
Gavroche = little boy, so young. Thenardiers = mean, sell poor little Cosetee. Eponeen = crazy, no sense.

Javet gets sad and dies. Val John = turns good. Marius loves little Cosetee. Eponeen is on her own and dies from bad men. Why flags? Confusing.

Who is Victor Hugo?

Posted by GatorNY 2012-11-22 21:13:53

Love this: ".... Aaron Tveit’s Enjoyable Enjolras."

Posted by My Oh My 2012-11-23 07:37:45

As a relentless "Mis" fan since big hair was in style, I can say with some confidence the following are the most popular misconceptions about this musical:

#1 - Without a doubt, the French Revolution thing. In fact, I believe the powers that be actually ran with it back in the mid-90s, and placed slogans such as "History Repeats Itself" in ads announcing return engagements, and other similar mentions of HISTORY. I always thought that was weird and random, even as a history-hating schoolboy. They seemed to allude to that more popular revolution since people are drones and go with what's familiar, "Oh! A musi-cal about the French Rev.? Oh, I studied that in grade school! Letssss goooo!!!"

#2 - Merry-us chooses Cassette over Epoh-9!!!

(Or Marius chooses Cosette over Eponine)

Oh, the outrage. How could he? Except, there was never really this so called suspenseful choice the dude had to make. He didn't even know Eponine was "there,"

"...but he never saw me thereeeeee!"
"One more day all on my owwwwn!"
"On my own, pretending he's beside me..."
"Without me, his world would go on turning!"
"Little he knows, little he sees!"
"Little you know, little you care!"
"He was never mine to lose. Why regret what could not be?
These are words he'll never say. Not to me, not to me. Not for me. His heart full of love. He will never feel this waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay."

Them Eponine words. Some people think she does plenty of whining. I think she doesn't do enough of it considering the silly numbers of people I've encountered over the years who conjure up this imaginary cliffhanger of, "will he? Or will he NOT??? Ooooooh, stay tuuned..." Puh-leeze.

#3 - "This musical NEEDS to be performed using cockney accents...or it doesn't work!!! Deal is off! The show is ruined! Finished! No good!"

As hysterical as that seems, it's fairly common, and I've encountered my share of people insisting that the musical about French folk need be performed using some sort of British accent. That's fine and all, but saying it doesn't work in an American accent, Australian accent, Irish accent? Oh, wait, the legendary Colm Wilkinson is an Irish dude, but he's a unique exception, yeah, cause he's the original. Seriously?

Les Mis has historically been translated to each country's home language and has always adopted even the distinct lower class equivalent dialect of the area it is playing. In England, Cockney happens to denote the lower class, so it is used on the poor and commoners in the play. Doesn't mean it is used as a rule, and performances in America have never adopted the Cockney thing because it isn't a play about British people, and Cockney isn't a known lower class equivalent that is native to us, so using it wouldn't make sense!

#4 - This is only a recent one, but one that is notable to me. What separates this one from the others is a lot of people, even really bright people and long time theatre fans, make the strangest assumptions borne out of this general, gradual getting out of touch with theatrical conventions. Incredibly, more people than I'd like to report take the original production totally literally. It's as if everything is happening seconds after this event and that event. Fantine bemoans life and is a whore literally two minutes later. A few minutes later, she dead.

Apparently, there is a flaw in the original production, that flaw being there is no clear indication of night and day. Er, what?

Oh, it goes on. Valjean is visited by a bunch of spooks at the end of the play, who appear randomly to sing a nice "farewell!" to us all. And people are sobbing because poor Valjean has croaked. The happy reprise send-off is just that, a happy reprise send off. Added on. Last minute. For ****s and giggles. I've had to explain what it OBVIOUSLY is too many times, it's sad really, considering the uplift and inspiration me and gaggles of people get out of that beautiful finale.

It's a play. A stage play, where the limited space offers limited options, but also ample opportunities for creativity. More and more these days, people don't get that, and consider stuff like the revolve in Les Mis some gimmick used to whirl the cast around randomly. Have they really missed out? Theatrical designs are usually enormously evocative and have a way of filling that limited space typically using just a few suggestive elements with the help of a lil' bit of imagination. The imagination thing seems to put people off. It's not like you have to MAKE yourself imagine stuff, LOL. It just happens but you do have to have a theatrical perspective to see it, something that usually comes naturally. I guess not anymore in this reality obsessed culture. Grr. Meanwhile theatre continues to be more real than real to me in a way no film or other medium can.

#5 - "That sad chick on the cover is Eponine."

No, it's not.

Posted by Wynbish 2012-11-23 08:46:20

Please tell me that was not posted because of a troll's post...

Posted by Jon 2012-11-23 09:10:10

So, for the American equivalent of cockney, would it work if the Thernardiers and other "low class" folk spoke with hillbilly accents? Maybe Brooklyn accents? South Boston?

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2012-11-23 09:39:28

I ain't wasting my time reading what seems to be a 5 page rant over a troll's post. Really?!!

Posted by TBFL 2012-11-23 10:32:35

I love the show and seen it way too many times... but the only thing that does confuse people, is when JVJ comes back as the Mayor, it comes out of nowhere.

Posted by OperaBwayLover 2012-11-23 11:18:49

Great post, My Oh My! #1 drives me up the wall; for my undergraduate Capstone research project in college, I chose to discuss the relevance of the women in Les Miserables, the novel. We were required to present our work, with a powerpoint and all. Afterward, most of my classmates came up and said, "Oh, I had no idea that's what it was about! I thought it was just a book about the French Revolution, like A Tale of Two Cities."

I'd like to add one more misconception, albeit a minor one:

#6: "Andrew Lloyd Webber wrote 'Les Miz'!" No he did not. In fact, it's well-documented in Edward Behr's excellent book that 'he clearly didn't like it...(even) offered to refund Cameron the deposit on the theatre." But still, because it's in the category of mega-musicals, everyone lumps it in with his catalogue. A general assumption made by the general public, and it annoys me to no end for some reason.

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-11-23 12:25:18

What most surprises me about the link is a photo of Angelina Jolie smiling.

Posted by jo 2012-11-23 15:28:05

Any tweets ( twitter is allowed, not full reviews) from the first official screening at the Alice Tully Hall, Lincoln Center?

Posted by Fan2 2012-11-23 18:16:28

If interested I suggest going to IMDB since there's a thread over there keeping track of all the twitter postings - from all accounts the movie is a triumph. Everyone gets high marks and some people seem to be surprised by Redmayne. Here's one report
from Roger Friedman at showbiz411.

>>Cheers and a standing ovation this afternoon at the first screening of the film version of Les Miserables. Tom Hooper, Oscar winner for The King’s Speech, has made a thrilling, sensational epic of the legendary Broadway show. This now becomes the Titanic of this year’s awards season, the film to beat. Hugh Jackman is a triumph as Jean Valjean, Anne Hathaway sings the heck out of the film’s big numbers, and Samantha Barks just about steals the film.

Posted by best12bars 2012-11-23 18:30:09

The one going off on Aaron Tveit on those Tweets is apparently his manager. Easy there, hon. Nothing like a shill to taint future opinions. Step away from the cell phone and keyboard now and actually do him a favor. Seriously.

Posted by Michael Bennett 2012-11-23 19:15:46

Roger Friedman is also a paid studio publicist so he must always be taken with a grain of salt

Posted by jo 2012-11-23 19:16:54

Check both the Les Miserables Page on IMDB and the Movie Awards Board also on IMDB ( which is actually a little faster in getting reactions).

Posted by steven22 2012-11-23 19:45:04

My friend's parents in the SAG union and she got tickets to see a screening this afternoon in NYC. She is at a talkback with Anne Hathway and the creative team on the movie. She said the movie was unbelievable and that Anne was amazing as Fantine. Apparently, the creative team on the movie finished editing the movie last night at 2am!

Posted by TBFL 2012-11-23 19:47:00

I really hope Sam gets a 'and introducing....' credit, especially after all the named competition that went up for the part. Its a great role to make her debut in and fingers crossed she gets the recognition.

Posted by steven22 2012-11-23 19:50:53

Just had a thought, Samantha Barks would be a great Elphaba in WICKED. Just time time for the movie....?

Posted by TBFL 2012-11-23 20:03:23

Not a bad idea! Back on the 'id do anything' tv programme, she did attempt defying gravity and wasn't great, but that was a long time ago and she has improved so much since then. If she gets amazing reviews, she could definitely be a contender.

Posted by jdtp12 2012-11-23 21:34:48

This guy shares some of his thoughts. He mentions "I Dreamed a Dream" was all one take. Is he saying it's just one shot with no different angles/cuts? That sounds very intriguing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FElj9Hf4oE&feature=youtu.be

Posted by sueb1863 2012-11-23 21:44:26

He also says one song was cut but doesn't say which one.

Posted by bk 2012-11-24 00:17:04

"Apparently, the creative team on the movie finished editing the movie last night at 2am!"

No. Not possible. And anyone saying that is clearly an idiot, mishearing it, or a shill.

Posted by scripps 2012-11-24 01:59:04

I was at the 7:30 screening tonight and the director, Tom Hopper came on stage to introduce the film and stated that he put the finishing touches on it at 2 AM Thanksgiving morning. I guess he is clearly an idiot, misremembering or poorly shilling his product.

Posted by best12bars 2012-11-24 02:14:26

"Apparently, the creative team on the movie finished editing the movie last night at 2am!"

No. Not possible. And anyone saying that is clearly an idiot, mishearing it, or a shill.

Yes, it's possible, especially with digital media and projection.

bk, where do you get your information?

Posted by best12bars 2012-11-24 02:42:23

Jackman praised Hooper saying he was a real warrior and didn’t think he got more than three hours sleep a night for the past four months in getting the film ready to be seen. Hooper confirmed it. “I finished it at 2AM yesterday and was already screening it today at Alice Tully Hall. I don’t think I’ve ever been more exhausted. But it’s been an extraordinary response. I think they broke into applause 14 or 15 times during the film. I remember the audience breaking into applause near the end of The King’s Speech but this is taking that to a new level. Towards the end of this film today this weird thing happened like a rustling kind of sound. For a minute I freaked out wondering what’s that odd sound on the soundtrack. I looked around and realized it’s the sound of people crying en masse. Rather extrarodinary for me,” he said.

Posted by My Oh My 2012-11-24 09:05:51

"I ain't wasting my time reading what seems to be a 5 page rant over a troll's post. Really?!!"

LOL. Someone mentioned misconceptions about the musical, and I interjected with examples, but you knew that already.

I'm glad you know that reading posts on the internet is still optional. The more you know...

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-11-24 09:13:37

I'm optimistic, but let's not forget. During the first screenings of Dreamgirls, the audience broke into applause a multitude of times as well; sometimes when it was justified; that didn't make it a great movie. Or even a good one.

Posted by lotiloti 2012-11-24 09:21:53

It certainly IS possible to have finished @ 2am that morning. Movies are no longer on film. In the digital world, it is much easier & quicker.It would have only been final tweaks,to complete the DCP. And I do know what I'm talking about.

Posted by wickedfan 2012-11-24 09:23:23

To be fair, Henrik, the first screening of Dreamgirls that received such high praise and wild applause wasn't of the whole movie, but of the first 20 minutes or so (up until either "Fake Your Way to the Top" or "Cadillac Car").

Posted by My Oh My 2012-11-24 09:26:04

Dreamgirls film was too long. I lost interest 2/3 of the way through but that's probably more about the story running out of steam even in the original stage version. I thought they'd fix that for the film. Instead, they made it longer. XD

I wonder what song didn't make it into the Les Mis film adaptation? Which song is more effective on stage and far less so enough on film that adapting it wouldn't make a difference? Don't mind me...thinking out loud.

Posted by Fan2 2012-11-24 09:35:26

It's been reported that the song that was cut is an Act 2 song - don't know if it's a spoiler or not so I won't post it but it's not one of my favorites and sung by Thenardier.

Posted by Movidude742 2012-11-24 09:50:19

I think people usually know the show so well by now that they forget that the playbill included a partial synopsis to fill in the gaps. I don't know if they still do it but it certainly happened on the original Broadway run and the tours of that production. I think they even used some of that text as interstitials in the 10th Anniversary concert

Posted by willep 2012-11-24 11:00:10

Interesting tweet...

"Jeremy Smith ?@mrbeaks
One LES MIZ caveat: went to early screening of THE PRODUCERS in '05 filled with fans of the musical. Walked out convinced it would be a hit."

Yes, a lot of the buzz around yesterday's screenings in NYC is fantastic, but keep in mind most of that audience was primed to like it. It will be interesting when we hear from more people who aren't familiar with the show/story and such and fans already going in.

Posted by Fan2 2012-11-24 11:10:56

There were also a lot of film bloggers/reviewers/critics there who had the same reactions. There are tons of screenings today in LA so there will be a lot more tweets and reviews today.

Posted by ray-andallthatjazz86 2012-11-24 11:24:47

The reason I trust these reactions more than those from fans of DREAMGIRLS or THE PRODUCERS is that people like Pete Hammond, Kris Tapley and, especially, Dave Karger (well known film critics and Oscar bloggers) saw it and were as wowed by the film as the fans. Tapley had been very skeptical about the movie throughout the year, often criticizing what he called a "claustrophobic" feel to the movie and after seeing it, he says he cried and thinks all the actors in the ensemble deserve Oscar recognition. Plus, the film has had amazing buzz for a while now, these early reactions only confirm that.

Posted by scripps 2012-11-24 11:58:34

Concerning Act 2's cut song, "Dog Eats Dog," doesn't make it.

I'd like to see the film again before I make any real criticism but I have to say that the new placement of "On My Own" just doesn't work for me. You now have essentially three songs of Eponine self-pity in a row ("In My Life," "A Heart Full of Love" and "On My Own") and it's just redundant at that point.

If anyone has any questions though, feel free to PM me, I'd be happy to answer.

Posted by little_sally 2012-11-24 12:05:57

For the first time ever, I'm disappointed I won't get to hear "Dog Eat Dog" just because I'm really excited for Sacha Baron Cohen as Thenardier.

Posted by little_sally 2012-11-24 12:05:57

Sorry, double post.

Posted by WiCkEDrOcKS 2012-11-24 12:09:45

Not sure if this link's been posted yet...

Posted by willep 2012-11-24 12:41:33

I'm sad we won't get to see Cohen's take on Dog Eats Dog as well...hopefully it will be a deleted scene on the DVD (Director's cut, perhaps?).

Posted by bobs3 2012-11-24 23:22:40

There is a critics review embargo until December 11 but several reports (Huff Post, Variety, Hollywood Reporter) have hinted that the movie is going to be a critics favorite.

The IMDB is not allowing any audience reviews to be posted yet. (I'm sure it has something to do with that big advertisement on the Les Miserables page -- must have cost a pretty penny.)

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2012-11-24 23:45:15

http://www.hitfix.com/in-contention/tom-hooper-unveils-les-miserables-to-over-the-moon-theater-loving-nyc-audience

http://wearemoviegeeks.com/2012/11/les-miserables-nyc-screening-met-with-standing-ovations-director-tom-hooper-and-cast-cheered/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/23/les-miserables-screening_n_2181475.html

http://collider.com/les-miserables-audience-reactions/213369/

http://collider.com/2013-oscar-preview-best-picture-best-director/213417/

Posted by WiCkEDrOcKS 2012-11-25 00:19:43

http://www.goldderby.com/news/3627/les-miserables-lesmiserables-oscars-entertainment-news-721685394.html

http://www.goldderby.com/news/3626/les-miserables-lesmiserables-oscars-entertainment-news-721694853.html

Posted by CapnHook 2012-11-25 00:20:41

If an Academy member happens to need a +1 for a NYC screening, I'll make myself available to join!

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-11-25 00:27:56

"To be fair, Henrik, the first screening of Dreamgirls that received such high praise and wild applause wasn't of the whole movie, but of the first 20 minutes or so (up until either "Fake Your Way to the Top" or "Cadillac Car")."

Wickedfan, I wasn't talking about the enthusiastic applause-filled reactions during that screening of the first 20 minutes of Dreamgirls (I wasn't there so I'll take your word for it), I was talking about the wildly positive applause-filled audience response during the opening week of the movie at the Ziegfeld (I was there).

Posted by Kad 2012-11-25 01:04:28

I think Gold Derby is underestimating Lincoln.

Posted by bk 2012-11-25 01:17:12

Where do I get my information? Well, from having been in the film business for forty two years now. It is not possible to finish editing at two in the morning and have a screening that night. The film is not MIXED until the editing is locked. Maybe he meant he was adjusting things in whatever master was being shown - that's possible. But that is not what was said HERE - HERE someone said he said they were editing up until the last minute. Not possible. Ever. As stated, once editing is locked, the film is mixed, the image has to be timed and transferred - I mean, someone has clearly misunderstood what Mr. Cooper was saying or Mr. Cooper was either being disingenuous or joking. They also had a screening here in LA so, they managed to get all this done in eight hours and a DCP to LA on top of it all? Laughable, I'm afraid.

Posted by WiCkEDrOcKS 2012-11-25 01:51:25

Agreed. I don't think DJANGO will be a frontrunner to win, though I'm sure it'll be nominated. I would imagine the frontrunners at this stage are ARGO, LINCOLN, LES MIZ, and ZERO DARK THIRTY. Granted, the last two are just a shot in the dark, based on the creative teams behind them and early buzz for LES MIZ. I am very, very excited to hear how the first screening of ZERO DARK THIRTY goes though.

Posted by MattDe 2012-11-25 02:07:06

The master got great reviews surly it will get the Oscar

Posted by Plum 2012-11-25 02:30:27

So did Lincoln, and it's a) more mainstream, b) in more recent memory.

Posted by Jungle Red 2012-11-25 02:32:57

The Les Mis fan reaction is probably going to be overwhelmingly positive. I really can't see anyone thinking this is a bad movie. Even the most die hard Les Mis should be happy that anyone attempted to bring LES MIS to the screen.

I'm curious to know what the non-musical theater, average Joe in Kansas thinks about it. I know, in the last 25 years (give or take), everyone has probably seen LES MIS once so they should know what they're going into...

But there's always that one.

Posted by kyl3fong2 2012-11-25 02:34:11

I've been reading on blogs after today's LA screenings that Eddie Redmayne is now a major contender in the Supporting Actor category too. Glad to hear that as he is a phenomenal actor!

Posted by DAME 2012-11-25 02:34:33

I was at the Academy / SAG screenings of Rent, Phantom, and Nine. All of which received thunderous response at these showings and all of which went on the tank.

Posted by Jungle Red 2012-11-25 02:47:34

I almost walked out of RENT. My exboyfriend wouldn't let me leave.

Posted by Brave Sir Robin2 2012-11-25 02:53:11

I guess I never realized that people did not like DREAMGIRLS. I'd never put it near the same company of RENT, THE PRODUCERS, and PHANTOM OF THE OPERA. I'd rank it with HAIRSPRAY, maybe even CHICAGO.

DAME, when you went to those screenings, did they give any major Oscar buzz to these films? Just curious.

Posted by DAME 2012-11-25 03:11:02

The reason they have those screenings is to get guild and academy members to vote.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-11-25 03:22:05

People really clapped at Nine? Did you get them all high first, Dame?

Posted by Brave Sir Robin2 2012-11-25 03:22:57

Gotcha. Let me kind of rephrase that: did the audience think these were Oscar-worthy films, like people are saying about LES MISERABLES? Or was it just positive reactions because they were crowd-pleasers, like for MAMMA MIA?

Posted by DAME 2012-11-25 03:39:30

At these screenings cast and creative are usually there for questions after. So usually the crowd is pumped. Hard to say what influence it has. That's why buzz from the screenings is not reliable.

And Phylilis, people did clap. And yes .. My row had a attitude adjustment before the movie.

Posted by jimmycurry01 2012-11-25 03:59:38

I am confused by the reaction to Dreamgirls here. The academy seemed to like it quite a bit. It was nominated eight times, with two of the nominations in major categories. It took home two awards of the eight nominations, one in a major category. Why are so many here considering this to be some sort of a critical flop?

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-11-25 08:18:17

I don't think Dreamgirls was a critical flop, only that few would consider it a great film on the scale that Les Mis is being touted by some (and, more to the point, on the scale to which many were touting Dreamgirls). it wasn't a particularly good movie in my opinion. And certainly was not favored to win a best picture oscar; it was not nominated for best picture, direction or screenplay and received nominations in music and technical categories and supporting actress and actor. Its wins for sound mixing and supporting actress were expected.

On another note, if the pretentious, overblown The Master wins best picture, I will personally (fill in vague threat of your choice).

Posted by Someone in a Tree2 2012-11-25 09:39:08

We were at last night's Academy screening in North Hollywood, along with a packed enthusiastic industry audience. In broad strokes, we'd call it a major triumph AND disappointment, as any stage-to-screen adaptation is bound to be.

THE TRIUMPHS: 1. Anne Hathaway and Eddie Redmayne leapt off the screen with spectacular turns, making Fantine and Marius far more honestly moving than I had ever seen onstage. Stunning, both. 2. The opening 40 minutes of the film: from the first image up till the escape to Paris, the screen was magnificently alive, blasting through great scenes one after the next, crammed through with rich character, plot and song at such breakneck speed, it left us breathless. 3. The finale: one brilliant and beautifully inspired stroke from Tom Hooper lifted that tired final reprise onstage into something moving and new onscreen, which I won't spoil here. 4. The live singing: Tom Hooper told the audience nearly 99% of the singing was sung live onscreen, and boy, was he right to insist on it-- a brave new way to make movie musicals come to life again. Every movie musical to come should take notes. 5. The design work: production design, costume, lighting were altogether spectacular ideas and radically different than the choices made onstage. Ravishing and idiosyncratic.

THE PARTS THAT ONLY MET EXPECTATIONS: 1. Hugh Jackman, Amanda Seyfried, Sacha Baron Cohen, Helena Bonham Carter. Exactly as gaunt/ passionate/ comical/ looneytunes as we've come to expect of these folks. All in good voice (though Jackman sings the part less than any onstage ValJean has), all nailing their bits, but they fade from view thinking back.

THE DISAPPOINTMENTS: 1. Regrettably... there's no avoiding that Russell Crowe simply can't play Valjean's antagonist if he isn't equal to Jackman vocally, which he is not. Opaque, passionless, and misdirected throughout (footsteps on a ledge early on to foretell his end are real embarrassments), Crowe doesn't have a chance here. 2. Tom Hooper (or his editors) seemed unable to hold 2 singing characters onscreen at once. "A Heart Full of Love" should be a duet (and then a trio), but is chopped into a barrage of close-up single shots, one after the other. This inability to give us wider takes suggests Hooper was not staging his scenes so much as placing characters in fixed spots and locking cameras to points on the floor to cover them. Where's the swirling camera work of a Joe Wright when you need him? 3. Once we get to Paris, the story slows to a crawl, the song order gets jumbled to smooth over the loss of the intermission, ("Can You Hear the People Sing" slides later and later in the show) and forward momentum all but disappears from the screen. A shame, because the stage show always snowballed to an Act I finale that gave goosebumps every time. 4. "Suddenly", the new song. Oh please. A waste of screen time that stops the show cold.

BOTTOM LINE? Every musical committed to film is reason for rejoicing. Flaws and all, this one is closer to being a great work than most. Gives new meaning to Thanksgiving weekend.

Posted by Kad 2012-11-25 10:34:27

Great analysis.

There is a distinct possibility that Les Mis will become a victim of its own mounting hype.

Posted by dramamama611 2012-11-25 10:50:18

I can't wait for this. As a jewish girl, I can't remember looking forward to xmas day more! I'm certainly hoping that, like Someone in a Tree's review, I am more pleased than disappointed. (Thanks for your detailed thoughts without spoiling!)

Posted by Auggie27 2012-11-25 11:47:36

DREAMGIRLS was so well received by most audiences -- I saw a pretty ordinary house go wild at the Zigfield, about 10 days into the run -- the quibbles now seem almost petty. It's not a great film, or a great show (Bennett made it seem like one) but it entertained many. More than can be said about the bottomless pit that was NINE or the in-your-face, laugh-free PRODUCERS. What sticks is the bizarre idea that Effie is a supporting role, when it had won a Best Actress Tony for The Other Jennifer. (Kind of like saying Rose is supporting because the show is about this girl named Gypsy.) Whatever.

Stage musicals are notoriously difficult to translate, and my guess about the "mix" in the reviews of LES MIZ is a focus on a different subject: the score. It's so demonstrably pop-infused, watch for the knives to come out in some high-falutin' circles. In the theater, such a meld/stylization is accepted. It won't be a problem for some critics, besotted with its use of live singing. But the pop lyrics can run to the banal ("...only been pretending!" crammed into music that doesn't fit always bothers me). For all of the show's fans, there's always been a well of reservations, going back to Frank Rich, whose review was positive but with a kind of snobbishness about the show's uplift and pop-ishness.

Posted by Michael Bennett 2012-11-25 11:59:19

A valid point, Auggie, and probably worth remembering that a lot of the critics in their negative reviews for the film version of NINE took major issue with the source material (of the Broadway musical) ripping in particular the score, which is generally well regarded in theatrical circles.

Posted by ray-andallthatjazz86 2012-11-25 12:00:55

DREAMGIRLS was definitely not considered a critical or financial flop at the time it was released. There was so much buzz around Jennifer Hudson and people were excited to see what was supposed to be "the next CHICAGO." It got the most Oscar nominations that year and the Best Picture snub was a huge surprise. I think, however, that time has not been kind to that movie. Regardless of what each person thinks about the movie, what I've gathered from reading different Oscar-related websites and even this board, is that people generally view the movie as largely unsuccessful. Jennifer Hudson's performance hasn't exactly lived on either, yes she does amazing things with her big song and her voice is unbelievable, but she's hardly a brilliant actress and her film career in the years that came after DREAMGIRLS proved that (remember THE SECRET LIVES OF BEES? ).

Posted by Auggie27 2012-11-25 12:08:57

DREAMGIRLS: Domestic Total Gross: $103,365,956, Worldwide: $154,937,680. Ranked 19th for the year in b.o.

It cost $80 million to make, modest today, but expensive in light of its return.

But RENT (this startled me): Domestic Total Gross: $29,077,547, Worldwide: $31,670,620

RENT cost $40 million to make. It was a major flop.

Posted by DAME 2012-11-25 12:18:07

Tree, We are also seeing at the tv academy. Wasvwondering if they were separating the lines by Guild and how early did you have to be there?

Posted by tazber 2012-11-25 12:34:41

Someone in a Tree, how does Samantha Barks come across?

Posted by dreaming 2012-11-25 12:57:09

Kad-

I think Lincoln will take Screenplay, actress (Sally Field will be in leading I'd think), and maybe director.

I think it's Les Mis v. Lincoln for best picture.

Best actor is a tough category:

Daniel Day-Lewis
Hugh Jackman
Russell Crowe (unless they put him in supporting)
Bill Murray (he has gotten excellent buzz for "Hyde Park on Hudson" and many voters may feel it's his turn)

And I think Tommy Lee Jones will win for his BRILLIANT performance as Thaddeus Stevens in Lincoln (supporting).

So, Kad, I agree that gold derby is underestimating Lincoln. (It was a wonderful film.) I'm sure Les Mis will do well with critics and pick up awards. I tend to wonder if politics could play a role here... (not that Lincoln MIGHT not deserve to win). I think Field and Jones will win for sure. Day-Lewis was amazing; however, he has recently won 2 Academy Awards. Voters may want to spread the wealth.

We shall see.

Posted by best12bars 2012-11-25 13:10:27

For what it's worth, both Sally Field and Russell Crowe are being promoted for "supporting" consideration, not "leading."

I haven't heard much (if any) remarks about Barks, Taz.

Is she not much of a presence or did they whittle her part down or a bit of both? (I admit I am not a fan of her work on the concert taping, but that doesn't mean she couldn't be wonderful in the film with the right direction.)

Posted by peachesr82 2012-11-25 13:15:09

I feel for Hugh Jackman because to get the year Daniel Day-Lewis out Lincolns Lincoln is really tough. Joaquin Pheonix too, but he might have talked himself out of that. You have to wonder if Academy voters might favour Lincoln but Les Mis might do really well, maybe even better, with Bafta and it's pretty got the Globe in the bag.
Presumably they'll push Hoffman supporting for The Master which could push out Crowe or Redmayne but supporting is weak this season. Acting wise, SAG will be the ones to thin the herd I would think, they tend to have a big influence.

Posted by best12bars 2012-11-25 13:19:58

Keep in mind there are only two other actors in history who have won three Oscars. That's not to say Day-Lewis won't join the list as #3, but the Academy knows it's honored him twice before. If any voters are on the fence after they see all the nominees, that won't help him win. If he's a clear choice, however, that's different.

Posted by tazber 2012-11-25 13:20:34

At this point I'm gathering that it's Tommy Lee Jones for the win in the supporting category. But it's still really early.

Also, I think there is going to be a huge amount of love for Silver Linings Playbook. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Robert DeNiro gets a nomination.

I don't think any of the Les Miz people are going to score individual nominations except for Hathaway.

But that's just what I'm gathering from people who have seen all these films.

Posted by best12bars 2012-11-25 13:22:47

I would be shocked if anyone turns in a performance better than Tommy Lee Jones's this year for Supporting Actor.

Posted by Auggie27 2012-11-25 13:24:21

Tommy Lee will be supporting, along with Field, who is likely the competition for Hathaway. I could make a case that Field should be in the Best Actress category (Mary Todd is this film is supporting, but Nurse Rachet was Best Actress?)

Personally, as much as I loved the LINCOLN film, I thought Denzel Washington more deserving of Best Actor that Daniel Day Lewis, admittedly in a much lesser film. Washington is the entire film, and he's fearless. At least he will be nominated. Phoenix is in a film many (me included) found difficult to sit through

Posted by dreaming 2012-11-25 13:53:17

Sally Field will NEVER win if they put her in supporting. Leading actress is a weak category this year. (None of the usual suspects have had remarkable films and Field could easily win there.) Hathaway will win supporting actress. She went through so much for the role (think Natalie Portman and Nicole Kidman and Charlize Theron-they like that kind of transformation for a role). Not to mention I think her role is substantial enough to warrant leading actress.

Posted by Movidude742 2012-11-25 13:54:18

I was working for a movie theater chain when Dreamgirls was out and Every time I was near an auditorium for And I am Telling You, there would be applause from the audience. Every time. Including a month or more into the run

Posted by best12bars 2012-11-25 13:57:07

I saw Dreamgirls twice in movie theatres in Los Angeles. Neither were industry screenings. Both times, they applauded after that song.

Posted by peachesr82 2012-11-25 13:57:09

I get the feeling Jackman is very well liked within the industry, not that Day-Lewis isn't, but if it comes down campaigning and Jackman is willing to play the game it could work in his favour.

Posted by mjroberts972 2012-11-25 14:01:59

I feel like either Redmayne or Cohen will get a suporting actor nomination. I didnt think Redmayne would get one, but the critical praise about him all weekend has convinced me he has a chance at getting a nomination.
And maybe Carter will sneak into the supporting actress category, mainly because it is a very weak category this year.

Posted by dreaming 2012-11-25 14:04:22

Jackman has never won and has been best known as "Wolverine" until now. This role is a departure for him in the film industry, which helps him tremendously.

Another contender who could quietly slip in is John Hawkes for "The Sessions". And if Crowe is in supporting, then Anthony Hopkins will take the other nod for "Hitchcock". I don't envy anyone in this category. It's very strong:

Hugh Jackman
Daniel Day-Lewis
John Hawkes
Anthony Hopkins
Bill Murray

Any one of these men could take it.

Posted by best12bars 2012-11-25 14:04:47

Not only is Sally Field's part not big enough for a leading award, it's barely weighty enough for Supporting.

I think she will definitely be nominated for an Oscar, and possibly could win, but one of the major strikes against her is that she's short one or two substantial scenes to put her in a "lock." That has to do with the writing of the character.

It's not necessarily the size of the role, although that helps. Obviously people have won for five minutes of screen work, though. Sally doesn't have one of those scenes like Judi Dench did in Shakespeare in Love when it suddenly becomes "her movie" and the clocks stop on the walls while she's on screen. That's impact, and you can't judge it with a stopwatch.

Sally either needed more screen time or one of those takeover scenes. She has neither, even if she's damn good.

Tommy Lee Jones, on the other hand, has far more screen time AND several take-over-the-picture scenes.

Posted by best12bars 2012-11-25 14:08:58

Even though I haven't seen Les Miz yet, the part of Fantine is essentially a leading female role for the first half-hour of the film. The part as written is a take-over-the-picture role. That's in the writing, even without seeing Hathaway's work. If she rises to the occasion, it could very well be her year.

And again, you've got Sally Field, a two-time Oscar winner. Only three other actresses in history have won three (or more). Meryl Streep is the only living actress to have three. Kate Hepburn and Ingrid Bergman are the other two (and Kate has four).

Posted by dreaming 2012-11-25 14:09:04

best-what she does is more incredible than Dench who didn't deserve the award for a role barely larger than an extra. She has some powerful dialogue with Lincoln and just transforms seamlessly into the role. As I said, leading actress is a rather weak category.

It's about best actor and supporting actress this year.

I think it'll be split between Les Mis and Lincoln.

(I'd hardly be upset if Hawkes pulls off a huge upset.)

Posted by best12bars 2012-11-25 14:10:06

best-what she does is more incredible than Dench who didn't deserve the award for a role barely larger than an extra.

I completely disagree with that.

Posted by dreaming 2012-11-25 14:15:11

That's your right, best. I loved the film but didn't think Dench deserved an Academy Award for that performance. She won because she's a legend who'd never won before. It's politics.

Posted by leefowler 2012-11-25 14:16:49

First of all, I disagree with people who are comparing the early reaction of this movie to similar positive reactions to the Evita and Dreamgirls movies. The buzz to this feels quite different. And I've talked to some industry people who feel the movie is a triumph. I haven't seen it myself, although I can't wait.

And they've all said that this is a role of a lifetime for Jackman. I think he would probably win the Oscar, both because he's well liked, and it would be a novelty for someone to win best actor for a musical.

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-11-25 14:20:34

Agree that Sally Field as lead would be ridiculous; it is not at all a leading role.

However, I disagree strongly that the role and the performance are not even arguably weighty enough for a supporting oscar. She has at least three critical scenes and several other very strong ones and she rocks in all of them. Her monologue in which she confronts Tommy Lee Jones alone is a Beatrice Straight=style tour de force; but that is hardly her only triumphant moment in the movie. Add to that that she's Sally Field, had to fight like hell to get the role, gained 25 pounds for it, and, perhaps more importantly to the Academy, worked her butt off (pun intended) to lose it in relatively breakneck speed to look fantastically fit for oscar season - and at her age - and you have a definite oscar contender.

Posted by Kad 2012-11-25 14:21:37

Hopkins and Murray will probably lose out on nominations. Hopkins performance hasn't been very well received, and reaction to Hitchcock has been tepid. If anyone from that film gets a nod, it'll be Helen Mirren.

Murray's film has likewise been met with a shrug, and Murray is notoriously not a fan of award campaigning and is generally prickly when it comes to the whole thing.

Posted by best12bars 2012-11-25 14:26:22

dreaming--I'm not sure how old you are, but Judi Dench wasn't a "legend" when she won for Shakespeare in Love. She was one film into her streak of great film parts, but after she made "A Room With a View" in the '80s, she more or less disappeared from the "global cinema" into Brit-coms and the theatre.

It was her work in Mrs. Brown the year before Shakespeare in Love that first put her into the big league. That was her first Oscar nomination, and she was definitely in the running for the award.

She didn't join the ranks with Maggie Smith and Vanessa Redgrave until after Shakespeare in Love and her win.

She's a legend now, but not then. It was not one of those "I can't believe she's never won an Oscar" scenarios. Aside from A Room With a View, she was known in a couple of Bond flicks for playing "M." That's it ... until Mrs. Brown.

Posted by best12bars 2012-11-25 14:29:59

henrik---I loved Sally in the movie, and was very impressed with her work. But aside from her weight gain (pun intended) I just don't think the part was weighty enough, even in those scenes you pointed out. Fine work, yes. Oscar-winning moments, no.

If she wins, I won't cry, though. I thought she was damn good. I would hardly call her a shoo-in though.

Posted by Kad 2012-11-25 14:30:23

As for Jackman- well, it's hard to say. He's certainly well-liked, and charismatic. He can, and will, campaign and work it. But his body of work has been... slight. The Academy may be hesitant to award Jackman, fearing he'll continue to take slight work.

Speculation at this point is largely pointless. Les Mis right now is caught in its pre-release hype mode. It may very well be a triumph. Or it may just merely be... good. And good is fine... but when you're promised a triumph, well..

Posted by dreaming 2012-11-25 14:31:18

Best-I am in my 30s. I've known who Judi Dench was since I was about five.

Kad-They nominate four or five people. Who would you give those other nominations to? (And I thought Murray's word of mouth was decent.)

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-11-25 14:33:54

Best12 beat me to it, Judi Dench was largely unknown in the U.S. and had done few films before Mrs. Brown, and was still not all that well known at the time Shakespeare in Love. She was a stage legend, mostly in England, who also had a very successful Brit television career which brought her a small cult following among Americans.

She, Jessica Tandy and to a lesser extent Helen Mirren are proof that sometimes great actresses only become big movie stars when they are well into middle age or beyond it.

Posted by best12bars 2012-11-25 14:34:20

I remember hearing the ecstatic hype and gush of applause over Sweeney Todd, too.

Then I saw the film.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I'm really pulling for Les Miz. I want this movie to be good and to do well.

But I'll need more than Broadway folks, industry folks, and Aaron Tveit's manager or mother or whatever tweeting away.

I'm trying not to get my hopes too high before I see it.

Posted by Kad 2012-11-25 14:36:52

His word of mouth was decent, but the film has been seen as boring and formulaic. And there's a scene in which FDR gets a handjob, which rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Pun unintended.

Right now, I think the roster will be Day-Lewis, Phoenix, Washington, Jackman, and John Hawkes (of The Sessions).

Cooper may sneak in over Hawkes. Hopkins may, if the Academy is feeling nostalgic for the real Hitchcock and wants to honor a workhorse actor (even if his prime is behind him).

Posted by Plum 2012-11-25 14:43:18

Best Actor is so crowded with perennial favorites this year, plus Cooper and Hawkes...I'm as big a Jackman fangirl as anyone, but I don't rate his chances at a nomination that highly. That said, yeah, he'd probably be a great campaigner. Does anyone not like him?

All that said, overall I believe the "buzz" at these early screenings about as much as I believe political talking heads, and this is a field that's way more subjective than election coverage - we don't even have poll numbers to look at. It's all pretty much BS and the BS that passes for intuition at this point, isn't it?

Posted by Auggie27 2012-11-25 14:45:04

Field's role is on its own terms substantial, with varying scenes of power, humor, emotional depth. To measure it quantitatively, solely in terms of screen time is a mistake. It isn't comparable to the Dench part in Shakespeare in Love, which is more of a rarefied cameo. Mary is her husband's intellectual and emotional partner, her grief informs his, her ideas contribute mightily to his positions and indirectly his strategy. Her role's economy is due in part to the narrow focus of the film's screenplay. Parsing the performance's reception and award potential based on its size seems off point. And as recently as last summer Field was discussed in the industry as a Best Actress possibility.

Posted by dreaming 2012-11-25 14:49:48

John Hawkes will nail the nomination, I think. Too bad "The Sessions" isn't a better known film-he'd have a shot at winning. He's marvelous in the film and is a highly respected veteran.

I do think Jackman may get a nod but I'm not convinced he'll win. When was the last time a musical won leading actor or actress? (Zeta-Jones was supporting). Day-Lewis has some momentum.

I will grant that Washington is a safe bet for a nod. Phoenix ruined his chances.

I don't recall if it's 4 or 5 nominees. If it's 4: Jackman, Hawkes, Washington, Day-Lewis. Add Murray if it's 5.

Posted by best12bars 2012-11-25 14:50:49

Her role's economy is in due in part to the narrow focus of the film's screenplay.

I absolutely agree with that. I'm not faulting Field's work at all.

I maintain the part isn't "big" enough. You can define "big" however you want to with either screen time or impact.

Posted by Kad 2012-11-25 14:59:00

I think you're in the miniority on that one, Besty. Field makes up for the part's small size with the impact she has created in audience and critic alike.

That being said, I do feel, while her nomination is assured, she will lose to Anne Hathaway- who may be Les Miz's surest bet at an acting award.

Posted by best12bars 2012-11-25 15:04:11

I may be in the minority or I may not, but it's still my opinion, and I don't need "the masses" to tell me otherwise. Nor does a tally sheet total negate my opinion.

I haven't seen Hathaway's work, Kad, but it would be great if she's that good.

Posted by dreaming 2012-11-25 15:05:55

Kad-That's what I think. They'll want to reward Les Mis in an acting category.

I think Day-Lewis may win actor and...Lincoln best picture.

Posted by WiCkEDrOcKS 2012-11-25 15:06:28

Yeah, Hathaway will absolutely win, based on her situation alone. She's very well- liked in the film world, she's a previous nominee, she underwent a "body transformation" for the part (which the Oscar voters LOVE), and she's the perfect combination of indie and mainstream (RACHEL GETTING MARRIED/THE DARK KNIGHT RISES). Plus her performance is apparently the acting highlight of the film, which doesn't hurt.

The only thing that may be held against her is lack of screen time. But I think she's a pretty sure bet to win the award this year, just based on buzz and pedigree alone.

Posted by ray-andallthatjazz86 2012-11-25 15:42:29

I don't think lack of screen time is that detrimental to winning an Oscar, though I think you guys are coming from the point of view that so many people have won "supporting' Oscars for leading roles and vice-versa.
Besty, I get what you are saying about Field. I actually think she gives a winning performance (the scene with Tommy Lee Jones is so good and her big dramatic scene with Daniel Day-Lewis is one of my favorite moments in the entire movie), but I also agree that she'll easily get overlooked for other actresses whose roles are much meatier. Anne Hathaway apparently takes over her film when she's in it and it seems like "I Dreamed a Dream" is a highlight of the movie (or for some critics it's *the* highlight of the movie). Helen Hunt is arguably the lead of THE SESSIONS, which gives her an edge over Field. I think Amy Adams is in a similar situation as Field, though Field is given more to play with.
Tommy Lee Jones has to be one of the best performances of the year, but I'd say Philip Seymour Hoffman was equally brilliant in THE MASTER, though again, he has a lead role and not a supporting one, but he's being campaigned for supporting.
Regarding the LES MIZ screening, I contend that there's something about the buzz that feels much bigger than fans screaming and clapping for their favorite movie. I trust Dave Karger, he called THE KING'S SPEECH as the Best Picture winner as soon as he saw it and never changed his prediction, all the pundits had their baskets on THE SOCIAL NETWORK throughout December as the film kept winning the critics' prizes. We know how that went. That's just one example of Karger's predictions working out really well; I'm not saying the movie's gonna win picture but I do think the buzz is legitimate.

Posted by little_sally 2012-11-25 15:49:22

I'm hoping for a lot of award success for Les Mis but I am really, really pulling for John Hawkes for Best Actor. Such an underrated actor whose done great work for years.

Posted by dreaming 2012-11-25 15:49:39

ray-I think the buzz is legitimate. However, I think Lincoln did really well critically, and musicals are tougher sells. I also think films are a reflection of the times and Lincoln coming when it is...isn't an accident...and it's poised to win. (I say actor, supporting actor and screenplay along with picture.)

Posted by tazber 2012-11-25 15:51:17

Here's an early roundup of what some of the trades and "experts" are saying about Les Miz regarding it's Oscar chances:

Reactions to the first screenings of "Les Miserables" are rapturous, all of them confirming that it's a strong Best Picture contender. Many sources seem to suggest that it's now clearly the frontrunner. "Les Miz" was seen by a large audience Saturday at Lincoln Center in New York and it unspooled to a small, select group at the academy's theater in Beverly Hills.
Latest Oscar predix from top experts

"Truly, the crowd was over the moon for the film," wrote Kris Tapley (HitFix) about the Manhattan event. Separately, he Tweeted, "Hathaway wins. GOD. I wept. Film’s a triumph. They’re on their feet here. NYC crowd ate…it…up."

Dave Karger (Fandango) Tweeted, "First #LesMiserables screening went over extremely well. I'd call it a sure thing Picture nominee for Oscar and the probable Globe winner."

HUFFINGTON POST: "The first-ever screening of Tom Hooper's 'Les Misérables' received a rapturous standing ovation …. If other audiences prove half as enthusiastic, Universal Studios could have its first Oscar winner for Best Picture since 2001's 'A Beautiful Mind.'"

DEADLINE HOLLYWOOD, Pete Hammond: "'Les Mis,' one of the few remaining unseen contenders, is now fully in the conversation for real, if not quickly vaunting near or to the top of Best Picture favorites (along with 'Argo,' 'Lincoln,' 'Silver Linings Playbook' and 'Life of Pi') …. I would venture those could include Picture, Actor (Jackman), Supporting Actor (Russell Crowe and/or Eddie Redmayne), Supporting Actress (Anne Hathaway and maybe one of the other women), Director, Screenplay Adaptation, Cinematography, Art Direction, Costume Design, Film Editing, Sound Mixing and Editing, Song (for Suddenly, the one new tune written for the film) and Makeup. It could rack up quite a total if everything falls into place."

MOVIELINE, Frank DiGiacomo: "'Oliver!' was nominated for 11 Oscars in 1969 and won six, including Best Picture and Best Director. 'Les Misérables' is poised to do the same."

HOLLYWOOD REPORTER, Scott Feinberg: "At the very least, 'Les Mis' joins 'Argo,' 'Lincoln' and 'Silver Linings Playbook' in the top echelon of this year's contenders, and puts Universal back in the thick of the race for the first time since 'Frost/Nixon' (200 was in contention five seasons ago. If it wins, it would be the studio's first best picture winner since 'A Beautiful Mind' (2001) …. Hathaway, a Hollywood darling since she blossomed from an ugly duckling into a princess in her breakthrough role, is probably now the frontrunner in the best supporting actress category."

FILM EXPERIENCE, Nathaniel Rogers: "I Dreamed a Dream That The Film Version of Les Miz Would Be Awesome. It came true."

I'm with Besty though. I'm not making any predictions until I see it myself. Maintaining my expectations.

Posted by dreaming 2012-11-25 15:52:54

sally-I'd love to see Hawkes take it. He is a well established, highly talented actor and nails a tough role.

Posted by little_sally 2012-11-25 15:56:31

dreaming, it'll be tough for a relatively unknown actor in a smaller film to beat such big names in such huge movies but a girl can hope.

Posted by tazber 2012-11-25 15:58:59

My opinion (which counts for nothing because I usually guess wrong!) is that it's between Day Lewis and Hawkes.

It's an interesting year as there is no clear front runner in any category. Once the critics awards start flooding in come December things will clarify a bit, but I think they're gonna be all over the place too.

Also, both actors in Amour have gotten early buzz and I expect them to gain traction as the film screens more.

And never count out Tarantino. Jamie Foxx, Cristolph Waltz, and Leonardo DiCaprio could all very squeeze in if Django Unchained is a hit.

Posted by everythingtaboo 2012-11-25 16:37:37

The US promos for Les Mis are driving me nuts. It makes it look like it'll be a great Anne Hathaway movie - until she dies twenty minutes into it.

Posted by little_sally 2012-11-25 16:47:40

I told my brother she probably dies about 20 minutes in and he's like, "That's it!? They're showing her like she's the star."

Posted by Someone in a Tree2 2012-11-25 16:48:06

Belated replies--
DAME: There was only one line at the Academy Screening in North Hollywood, no separation by guilds. We were there an hour early but a number of empty seats suggests everyone in line got in.

TAZBER: Samantha Barks was a competent Eponine, with almost no surprises, grit or uniqueness in her portrayal. She spoke at our screening's Q&A, lovely girl in person, but I think a year playing the part in the West End hurt her chances of finding new insights for the big screen. Also, it's REALLY a thankless part, no?

As for handicapping the cast's chances at the Oscars, Anne Hathaway is a shoo-in for the win for Supporting Actress, besting Sally Fields' formidable job in Lincoln. Eddie Redmayne has my vote for a Supporting Actor nom, but I think both he and Tommy Lee Jones will get whopped by Philip Seymour Hoffman for the win. Poor Hugh Jackman might manage a nomination for Best Actor, but he practically disappears from the second half of the movie, except for that brief episode rescuing Marius. My humble take is he falls short of making the lasting impression that would insure a win. No-one else onscreen will get a mention.

I'm certain Les Miz will get noms for nearly every technical category, with every chance of winning Production and Costume design. I think Tom Hooper will fail to get a director's nom, but a Best Picture nom is certain. (I will be surprised if it wins, however.)

Posted by Someone in a Tree2 2012-11-25 17:14:13

Since everyone seems to be threadjacking the conversation with Oscar chat outside of Les Miz, here's my guess for Oscar noms:

PICTURE: Argo, Lincoln, Les Miserables, Zero Dark Thirty, Life of Pi, The Master, Beast of the Southern Wild, and (wishful thinking) Moonrise Kingdom. Suspect either Lincoln or Argo will win.

DIRECTOR: Ben Affleck, Steven Spielberg, Ang Lee, Paul Thomas Anderson, and Kathryn Bigelow. Guessing Spielberg to win, though I'd prefer Ang Lee.

ACTOR: Daniel Day Lewis (to win), John Hawkes (brilliant), Hugh Jackman, Joaquin Phoenix, Denzel Washington. (Hopkins was embarrassing in Hitchcock. Sorry, Tony.)

ACTRESS: Jennifer Lawrence (to win, and the life force behind Silver linings Playbook), Emmanuelle Riva, Jessica Chastain, Quvenzhane Wallis, and ... God knows, maybe Naomi Watts. Helen Mirren was adequate in Hitchcock but really deserves Supporting if anything.

SUP ACTOR: Philip Seymour Hoffman (to win), Tommy Lee Jones, John Goodman (for Argo), Eddie Redmayne, and Robert De Niro.

SUP ACTRESS: Anne Hathaway (to win), Sally Field, Helen Mirren, Helen Hunt (who should really be in the starring category for The Sessions), and ... Scarlett Johansson who was the best thing in Hitchcock.

Posted by TBFL 2012-11-25 18:45:06

Best - Judi Dench WAS and still IS a living legend. maybe not in the film world, but her theatre work IS the stuff of legend!

But i agree that she won the academy award because she was just spellbinding, which happened because she is a theatre legend :)

Posted by Movidude742 2012-11-25 19:01:46

Just remember that when it comes to Sally Fields and the Academy . . . They like her . . . they really really like her

Posted by Brave Sir Robin2 2012-11-25 19:39:18

I still cannot wait for this movie. Having seen LINCOLN, I think Fantine is a more substantial role than Mary Todd Lincoln, but I think that Sally Field did such an incredible job (especially the "People love my husband" scene!) that she could get an edge. I feel like they will both walk awa with a major award (SAG or GG) then the Oscar will be a toss-up.

Posted by WiCkEDrOcKS 2012-11-25 20:00:36

Sidenote: I would imagine there is virtually no way LES MIZ won't win the Golden Globe for Best Picture (Musical or Comedy). The Golden Globes love awarding musicals.

Posted by Auggie27 2012-11-25 20:03:36

I've enjoyed the serious debate among all posters, and have to agree with Brave SR, that the Fields-Hathaway contest may be down to the wire. Let's see how Hathaway's reviews land. Sally Fields isn't making a comeback in this film, but she's been on TV in recent years. She could still end up the sentimental favorite, even if Hathaway pulls focus during early awards (Globes, SAG). For a deadly dull year at the movies, the year's end is compelling.

Posted by Fan2 2012-11-25 20:08:21

Everything I've read, especially since the LM screenings, says Hathaway should just prepare her acceptance speech. There's not even a mention of Field.

Posted by HBP 2012-11-25 20:31:00

Two things:

Slightly off-topic: Do they check your IDs with your guild member card at the theaters? My relative is a DGA member, but he can't come with me in 2 weeks to catch this at the Lincoln Center AMC. Do you think I could sneak in with his card and a guest?

Back on topic: Are they still doing 10 Best Picture nominees this year?

Posted by WiCkEDrOcKS 2012-11-25 20:40:00

If it's the same as last year, they can nominate up to ten films. THR explains the process here: http://tinyurl.com/d8pmzhm

Posted by My Oh My 2012-11-25 20:50:56

And the orchestra and orchestrations. You know, music? How's that?

Congrats if you even notice the tremendous difference between the two (one is lush and harmonious, the other is a thinned-out, flat concoction of old and new) but, for example: did they use the following orchestration for, say, "On My Own"?

Original Orchestration by John Cameron:

http://soundcloud.com/user5432415/on-my-own-late-2009-preview

Or did they use this one:

"Dynamic" NEW orchestration based on John Cameron's original by Chris Janke, Stephen Brooker, and Stephen Metcalfe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3cILTYyk24&feature=related

It's OK if those of you who saw it can't say exactly which was used. They are approximate enough to non-musical ears that it can be tough. The differences affect the way I perceive the musical, the story, everything. The new version is a reedy, harmony-stripped, cutesy ditty lacking passion and heart. But that's just me.

What they use on the entire thing will make or break this musical film version for me.

Posted by DAME 2012-11-25 21:13:17

HBP; Here in LA they check.

Posted by bobs3 2012-11-25 21:13:41

No one has mentioned Marion Cotillard as being a front runner for Best Actress Oscar. She has been sweeping awards at film festivals for her performance in "Rust and Bone".

If "Les Miserables" had been filmed 8 to 10 years ago she would have made an excellent Fantine.

Posted by HBP 2012-11-25 21:38:03

Thanks, DAME.

As for Marion Cotillard, she is a phenomenal actress and I cannot wait to see her in Rust and Bone. If they filmed Les Mis in French (which might have been stunning), she'd have made a great Fantine. But I think the incongruous accents were part of the downfall of NINE... so I think it may have proven distracting in Les Mis, too.

Posted by GavestonPS 2012-11-25 21:55:42

I'm not proud of this, but I had to dry my eyes by the end of the damn trailer!

Posted by SondheimFan5 2012-11-26 01:08:18

Those who saw it: Have they lowered any keys from the stage version, from what you can tell? (Particularly Jackman's songs/Bring Him Home). How does the orchestration sound under the vocals?

Posted by jacobsnchz14 2012-11-26 10:54:00

New French poster for LES MIZ, which could eventually end up being the final US film poster...

http://www.impawards.com/2012/les_miserables_ver11.html

Posted by kover22 2012-11-26 11:15:28

To Broadwaydevil.....

LOL this post made me laugh!! What a way to sum up a whole cast....Priceless!!!!

When I watch a musical that has been turned into movie form I try to forget the way that I have seen it live.. and just view it as a movie. I realize that it will be different than the actual Broadway musical but I want to enjoy it just the same. This allowed me to enjoy the movie version of RENT and a few others. Its just my way of being able to enjoy both the live version and the movie!!
There is always the seriously wrong casting that makes a movie musical just impossible to watch though ....as in the case with Rock of Ages!! LOL that was just insanely terrible in my opinion!!!

Posted by Someone in a Tree2 2012-11-26 11:49:19

to HPB: Guild cards were not asked for at the screening I was at (Academy, North Hollywood), but ID's are required to prove you're the person whose name is on the list.

Posted by Someone in a Tree2 2012-11-26 11:57:01

Marion Cotillard lipsynced to all of her songs in Piaf, no? Does she actually have a trained singing voice? That's where the Les Miz film sets itself apart from everything that's come before-- live singing throughout. And the cast at our Q&A (Seyfried, Barks and Redmayne) all stressed how challenging it was to stay in top voice for the full 12-hour shooting days when each of their big numbers was shot. A stunning feat.

Posted by broadway guy 2012-11-26 12:36:04

Best Picture:

It's going to be a race between Lincoln Vs Les Miz vs Argo.

Argo is in the lead right now with the critics and experts But It might come down to Les Miz vs Lincoln.

I feel like The Master has fallen into Oblivion.It was a great movie but i think everyone has forgotten about it.

Les Miz will probally get the most nominations out of all of them. Critics seem to Love it and it could go all the way.

My predictions:

LES MIZ (winner)
Argo
Lincoln
Silver Lining PLaybook
Zero Dark Thirty
Life of Pi
The Master
Django Unchained
Beasts of southerwild
Flight

Best Director will Probally be Ben Afleck or Steven S.If Les Miz wins Best Pic I doubt they will give Tom Hooper Best Director.If it Doesn't win than Tom could win but my guess is Best Director will be going to Ben,but Steven S has a great shot also.You know he will put up a Good fight.

Im Confident Hugh will get Nominated For Best Actor.The guy to beat is DDL.When i saw Lincoln i came to the conclusion that his performance is great and the front runner but its not Unbeatable.If anyone is going to Beat DDL it would need to be Jackman. ( all the other contenders were already out and placed below DDL by critics).Jackman had the advantage of being mystery man to come in and pounce on DDL.Now that the movie is out and people have seen Jackman im not so sure he can claw his way to the winner,but he will probally be Nominated. my list:

DDL (winner)
Pheonix
Washington
Jackman
Hawkes.

I thought Bradley cooper was great in his performance and i do think he deserves an Oscar Nomination but its so crowded this year i think he will be out.

The front runner for Best Actress is Jen Lawrence but she could get Knocked down by Chastain in ZD30.Not sure how that willl turn out.Chastain is getting good reviews but no where near the reviews Lawrence is getting. It's an open race for that category.

Hatheway should start Practicing Her Oscar speech now.I know that sounds Premature and Naive but i really think she is going to win.Even the critics are saying it.Sacha Stone who didnt like the film is saying she has won.I did enjoy Lincoln and i Loved sally but I think Anne has it in the bag.sam barks is a question mark.I dont know the likelyhood of her getting a Nomination.

There is talk about Amanda getting a nomination??? is this true?? Im glad she is getting good reviews and no offense to Amanda ( i have grown to like her soft soprano and think she will be a lovely cosette) but her charatcer Literally does Nothing!!!!!! She falls in love,sings 2 songs than Vanishes till the end,Not what i would call oscar worthy.

BEst supporting actor: This is a hard one.Crowe is getting very Mixed Reviews.This is suppose to be his comeback . Eddie is getting GREAT reviews and could possibly snag a nomination instead of crowe.But something tells me crowe will still get nominated leaving eddie out. I have seen all of the top best supporting actor contenders( except crowe and eddie) and here is my list:

Phillip Hoffman ( winner)
tommy lee jones
Robert Deniro
Leonardo Dicaprio ( mystery)
Russel crowe

Alan Arkan is on many lists but i didnt think his role was oscar worthy at all when i saw Argo.He was funny and great but not worthy IMO

Les Miz could possiblly tie Titanic's Nominations,which would be awesome. Im really looking Forward to this movie.Im 90% sure it is going to be a run away Hit.This could be the best Movie Musical since The classic:West Side Story!

Posted by dreaming 2012-11-26 13:16:41

For your consideration, Anna Karenina just received a very strong review from the Times.

It would seem most likely that Keira Knightley would get a nod in the best actress category.

The film's screenplay by Tom Stoppard was also highly praised, as was the direction.

A new entry? Possibly. The Times really liked it.

Posted by theaternut 2012-11-26 13:44:01

To; HBP
At last nights Guild screening they checked union cards, I.D. , and they made you sign in. It might vary depending on the staff.

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-11-26 13:55:03

Amour seems like a likely best picture nominee (as well as for Riva and perhaps several other categories). Richard Gere seems a likely best actor nominee for Arbitrage.

Posted by broadway guy 2012-11-26 14:14:02

Im very iffy on Anna Karenina.Knightly looks good in it but weren't the early reviews on it very mixed-negative? Although I have heard praise for Knightley and Jude law. I could see it being a best picture contender.It willl probally be nominated for many technical awards.the costumes look Beautiful.

I think if best actor was open to 10 nominations than richard gere might have a shot,but it's so stacked this year.

Posted by dreaming 2012-11-26 14:29:48

Broadway guy-It is a New York Times Critic's Pick and received a strong review from them.

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-11-26 14:34:24

You are probably right. Day-Lewis, Jackman, Washington, Phoenix and Hawkes seem like locks. My guesses for the women are Lawrence, Riva, Wallis, Cotillard and Chastain.

Posted by dreaming 2012-11-26 14:41:36

henrik-I don't know who I'd remove from the ladies, but Knightley will get a nod I think.

And I'm not sold on Phoenix-he didn't do himself any favors with his comments regarding the Academy Awards.

Posted by AEA AGMA SM 2012-11-26 14:48:29

"Marion Cotillard lipsynced to all of her songs in Piaf, no? Does she actually have a trained singing voice?"

I'm sure opinions will vary greatly here, but I enjoyed her two songs in Nine. She doesn't seem to have a big huge belt, but, based on what I've heard of Hathaway's rendition of "I Dreamed a Dream" I could imagine she would have done comparable things with the song had she played the part on film.

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-11-26 15:15:44

It's so much more fun at this stage then it is months from now after countless awards have been given out and who and what wins the oscar so often seem like foregone conclusions, i.e. last time.

What would make it a hell of a lot more fun is if 99% of oscar contenders could be seen before awards season. Not to mention that it would make actually going to the movies all year a lot more enjoyable if 99% of the most intriguing features weren't all released in the same 6 week period.

Posted by wickedfan 2012-11-26 15:18:02

Yes, Anna Karenina received a very strong review from the NY Times, but for every positive review of Anna Karenina, there were just as many mixed or negative reviews. It's also dividing audiences. Some have loved it and others have heavily disliked or been confused by it. I found it to be visually stunning, with a surprisingly cohesive screenplay by Tom Stoppard and a very lovely, anchoring performance by Knightley (who could very well be nominated), but Wright's concept keeps the emotions at arms length, giving the picture a fast pulse but slow heart beat.

It'll be interesting to see how it does with at the Globes, SAGs and Critics' Awards. It could very well slip into the ten or so nominees, but that's exactly what it would be doing. Slipping in, not being a shoo-in.

Posted by ChanceEncounter 2012-11-26 15:36:35

really, someone wants to suggest that the biggest downfall of Nine was the incongruous accents? I'm pretty sure the biggest downfall of Nine was that they bastardized a decent musical score made the script absolute nonsense.

on topic.

I didn't see this answered yet but HBP, nothing has been announced to suggest there will be anything but 10 Best Picture nominees. It's the standard now. If it changed you would have heard.

Posted by Someone in a Tree2 2012-11-26 15:56:32

Re AEA AGMA SM: I can assure you that the gorgeous powerful soprano that comes out of Anne Hathaway's mouth in I DREAMED A DREAM puts every one of the limpid vocal performances in the film NINE to shame. Sorry, Marion, you're a wonderful actress but comparing Hathaway's singing instrument to yours is like... well, like comparing Hugh Jackman's to Russell Crowe's. No contest.

Posted by sorano916 2012-11-26 16:17:26

For those who've seen the film, what's the running time?

Posted by broadway guy 2012-11-26 16:29:06

Im glad to hear Anna Karenina got better reviews than i originally thought.

henrikegerman:your guesses for Best Actress are the same ones I have.But if Knightley gets in,i think wallis will be out.Her age is a big detractor for her.

dreaming: What Pheonix said about the oscar race was really brave.I Kinda respected him for it,but than he took it all back and is now starting his campaign.Now i lost a little bit of respect for him.Weinstein must be far up his ass right now.Eitherway im certain he will still be nominated.He might not win but if he doesn't, i dont think it will be because of what he said.If he does not win because of his remarks than maybe the remarks have some bit of truth to them.

Posted by dreaming 2012-11-26 16:39:35

broadway guy-The best actor race is so tight, that Phoenix's previous statements won't be all forgotten I don't think. And if he's nominated and loses, I don't think it is necessarily because of that statement-the category is the toughest it's been in years. (Could we have a tie??? I'd settle for a tie between Daniel Day-Lewis and John Hawkes. My heart says give it to the vet Hawkes who's never won.)

I suspect Knightley will receive a nod.

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-11-26 16:51:06

I have the feeling that Knightley won't be nominated, I also have the sense that if Wallis or Chastain don't get in, Rachel Weisz will be the surprise nominee; good for her if she does, it would be well deserved. I also wouldn't be surprised if Weisz picked up some critics prizes and or the Nat. Board of Review award (which last year went to Tilda Swinton for a similarly fine turn as a woman who's lost everything).

Posted by WiCkEDrOcKS 2012-11-26 16:55:02

For BOURNE.....? No way.

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-11-26 16:58:31

For The Deep Blue Sea.

Posted by WiCkEDrOcKS 2012-11-26 17:03:13

Oh, I was going to say...

I still don't think she'll get a nomination though. I imagine they'd nominate Naomi Watts, Emanuelle Riva, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, or even Judi Dench before Weisz.

Chastain is getting across the board raves for ZERO DARK and the Academy loves nominating kids. At this point, I would guess it'll be
Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings Playbook)
Jessica Chastain (Zero Dark Thirty)
Quvenzhane Wallis (Beasts of the Southern Wild)
Marion Cotillard (Rust and Bone)
Helen Mirren (Hitchcock)
or
Naomi Watts (The Impossible)

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-11-26 17:04:54

"The year’s second new “Anna Karenina” adaptation—and the worse of the two—opens today (it’s the one directed by Joe Wright and starring Keira Knightley). The better, by far, came out in the spring, under the title “The Deep Blue Sea,” and it has nothing to do with Tolstoy. It was directed by Terence Davies, stars Rachel Weisz, and is nominally adapted from a play by Terence Rattigan. The story is of a woman who’s married to a prominent attorney, has an affair with a dissolute young officer, and comes to grief. Which is to say that the movie has everything to do with Tolstoy—indeed, far more than does Wright’s movie."

The New Yorker

Posted by ray-andallthatjazz86 2012-11-26 17:32:28

It's such a crowded year for lead actress. I still think Lawrence is unbeatable--not based on her performance, but on the crazy buzz she's had since the film premiered--though Chastain poses a threat. Still, most reviews say that her character has no backstory or too many dimensions, so I think she'll definitely get nominated but Lawrence will still win. Cotillard would have a better chance if she hadn't just won and if the film had a stronger chance at other nominations; Hillary Swank won five years after BOYS DON'T CRY but that's because her film was the Best Picture winner (I still can't believe she won over one of Kate Winslet's most fascinating roles or even Annette Bening's comedic turn, but that's neither here nor there). I think Wallis will get in, Riva has the raves but I worry the Academy will nominate one of the bigger stars instead. I really do hope Naomi Watts can somehow get in, she should be a winner by now, it's unbelievable that she only has one Oscar nomination. Knightley has a chance of getting in, but she's looking really weak right now given the mixed bag that the reviews for ANNA KARENINA have been so far. It's too strong of a year so some performances will inevitably be left out.
On the lead actor front, I really do think Joaquin Phoenix should win. Day-Lewis, Washington and Hawkes are all great and magnificent in their own film, but Phoenix gives the kind of performance that legends are made of, it's the kind of thing that will be studied in years to come. Some critics compared him to Brando in STREETCAR and it's hard to disagree...interestingly enough, Brando didn't actually win the Oscar for that performance so Phoenix might be on the same boat.

Posted by broadway guy 2012-11-26 17:47:53

dreaming:Your right,Best actor is very strong this year.I dont think Anyone is a total lock for a nomination except DDL.I can't really see a tie Happening but It would be really cool if of all people Hawkes takes the gold. I have not seen "the sessions" so I can't offer much input in that area but The complaint i have heard from Movie Buffs is that the movie is to short for hawkes to really show off his oscar possibilities and give DDL a run for his money.

There is also the question of Hitchcock.How good are Anthony's chances? I have not seen it yet but im looking forward to it.

Posted by DAME 2012-11-26 17:55:03

Saw Hitchcock this past weekend. I now believe I have seen everything but Pi. Hitchcock was entertaining. Anthony Hopkins was fine. Helen Mirren was wonderful. The movie was enjoyable. I really doubt it will do anything in awards season.

Posted by Luscious 2012-11-26 19:29:34

Fandango has the running time listed as 1 hr 47 min. Shouldn't it be longer? If I recall correctly, the stage show clocked in at over 3 hours.

Posted by sueb1863 2012-11-26 19:34:55

The Fandango listing is apparently for an older version.

I've heard LM clocks in at 2:38 with credits.

As for awards, Crowe has no chance. Reactions to his performance are too mixed. If any actor gets a supporting nomination it'll be Eddie Redmayne.

It's a very competitive year and it wouldn't surprise me if Anne Hathaway gets the movie's only Oscar win.

Posted by jo 2012-11-26 19:51:11

Running time is officially confirmed on the Universal Pictures Awards site at 2h 38min.

http://universalpicturesawards.com/#/lesmis

Posted by Luscious 2012-11-26 19:55:07

Thanks. Knew Fandango had to have it wrong.

Posted by broadwaybabytn 2012-11-26 20:13:28

A friend who's seen it says that Jackman is overshadowed by strong supporting performances from Anne Hathaaway and Eddie Redmayne. Just putting that out there.

Posted by CapnHook 2012-11-26 21:14:58

I seem to say this every year, but right now it seems this statement is more true this year than it has been in the past few years: this is one of the most exciting Best Picture races in recent memory!

BEST PICTURE:

Likely:
ARGO
LES MISERABLES
LIFE OF PI
LINCOLN
SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK
ZERO DARK THIRTY

Dark Horses:
ANNA KARENINA
BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD
CLOUD ATLAS
THE DARK KNIGHT RISES
DJANGO UNCHAINED
HITCHCOCK
THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY
THE MASTER
MOONRISE KINGDOM
THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER

Slim Chance:
FLIGHT
THE HUNGER GAMES
HYDE PARK ON THE HUDSON
THE IMPOSSIBLE
THE SESSIONS
SKYFALL

A lot of what I listed in the "Dark Horse" category will soon fall into the "Slim Chance" category. I hope THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER gets nominated, but with a crowded competition field, it's looking less and less a probability.

Posted by broadway guy 2012-11-26 22:55:15

It's such an exciting year for Best Picture.No Movie has it in the bag.Anything can happen.Makes this so much more fun!

sue1863: I wouldn't count crowe out just yet.He is getting mixed reviews but once the embargo lifts he could end up getting great reviews ( or bad ones) we can't really say yet. I also think it just comes down to taste.some critics liked his voice and some critics did not. Both views can be right.Some people don't even like Jackman's voice.Crazy right??!
I think crowe will be recognized more for his acting.I think the acaademy will also give him brownie points for commiting to such a risky movie. He shares a moment with Gavroche that is heart breaking.That tells me that crowe has probally really captured the character.The Moment that I am hearing about may be lightining in a bottle.
Eddie is getting great reviews which could possibly lead to a nomination, but crowe's part is so much more meatier.I am glad that eddie is getting great reviews. If either one gets a nom it will probally be crowe but if eddie sneaks in there and takes it from crowe, more power to him. I dont thnk both will get in but it's possible.If both got in than ARKIN would probally be out.which im totall fine with.

Posted by Someone in a Tree2 2012-11-27 00:35:05

^ Having seen Les Miz, my take is Eddie Redmayne's stunning performance has every likelihood of getting a supporting nom, and Russell Crowe's has virtually none. Size of part is immaterial here; one actor dominates every scene he appears in, one actor fades from view as you're watching him.

Posted by chanel 2012-11-27 09:26:47

Looks like Anne Hathaway will win the Oscar.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/dailymusto/2012/11/anne_hathaway_e.php

Posted by doodlenyc 2012-11-27 09:42:41

There is no effing way she never heard LuPone's version before the film.

Posted by ray-andallthatjazz86 2012-11-27 11:00:34

I don't think Hathaway was saying she had never listened to Patti LuPone's version, it sounds more like she didn't listen to LuPone's version recently until after she finished the movie.
I'm so excited that she might be nabbing an Oscar for this role. Apparently Dave Karger (who had been an avid supporting of SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK) switched his prediction after seeing LES MIZ.

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-11-27 11:25:28

Very surprised that goldderby gives Amy Adams the same odds as Sally Field. Adams is fine in The Master. But Field aced a much stronger role.

Posted by WiCkEDrOcKS 2012-11-27 11:33:24

I love Paul Thomas Anderson's movies, but I thought THE MASTER was one of his weakest efforts. A great premise turned into a stagnant film experience. The three performances should be nominated, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the film itself is shut out of the Best Picture race. At this stage in the game, my vote would go to ARGO.

I wish PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER would be getting more of the Oscar buzz it deserves. What a great movie.

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-11-27 11:49:37

I agree Argo is the best film I've seen this year and, while I'm not a fan of Paul Thomas Anderson's recent efforts, I especially didn't like The Master and also wouldn't be surprised if it does not get a best picture nomination.

Posted by showchoirguy 2012-11-27 12:20:48

All these comments about Perks are making me feel really happy that I'm not the only one who thinks this film deserves a nomination. It would never, ever happen but I think Ezra Miller deserves a nomination.

I saw Flight this past weekend and can report back that it was a decent film. Washington gave a really good performance which will probably get a nomination but will not win. The plane crash sequence definitely made you hold your breath and was cringe-worthy at some points. John Goodman was hysterical is his role, haven't heard any buzz about his performance in Argo.

Posted by Kad 2012-11-27 13:01:47

I'm not a fan of GoldDerby. I prefer The Film Experience, which has a good track record and a typically amusing/enlightening blog to go along with it.

Posted by ray-andallthatjazz86 2012-11-27 15:59:55

Kad, I love The Film Experience, InContention is my favorite Oscar blog but I think GoldDerby is the most comprehensive site in terms of collecting the Oscar experts' predictions. Their odds are based on 26 critics' predictions, which is pretty good (not that it means anything, they're just predictions). I think in general it has the least useful articles you can think of, but I like that part of it.
I guess at this point no one is even pretending to be talking about LES MIZ, so I'll say that I thought THE MASTER was absolutely breathtaking in every way, I loved it and thought the performances were out of the world. However, few of my friends have liked it and it wasn't popular on this board, but I think those of us who loved it really loved it. ARGO was top notch, easily one of the best studio movies of recent years, in my opinion it should definitely win Picture, Director, Screenplay, Costumes, Art Direction, Sound and Editing, I don't think it will but it'd make me very happy if it did. I could also see a LINCOLN for Picture, Argo for Director split or a similar case with LES MIZ replacing LINCOLN. I can't imagine Tom Hooper would win a second Oscar in such a short period of time, and for some reason I don't see them awarding Spielberg with Director again but it could happen.

Posted by DAME 2012-11-27 19:17:59

Bringing it back to Les Mis. I agree with this assessment 100 %.

"I have a barrelful of thoughts to share after having seen "Les Miserables" tonight, but the barricade against reviews has not yet been stormed, so I'll hold many of those musings in secret, much like my past identity as a bread thief named Jean Weisjean. (Shoot - let that one slip.)

Instead, I'll just try to talk about it from an awards perspective, as others have been since screenings began Friday.

Best picture nominee? Fer sure. Best picture winner? Not necessarily, because while it is a film that soars in many places and is rock solid in others, "Les Miserables" also displays enough bumps and bruises to hurt it (and director Tom Hooper) in a close race. Some of the flaws I identified come from comparing it to the musical that I've held near and dear to my heart ever since I saw it Thanksgiving week 1987 in London – no doubt, a huge swath of Academy members have their own personal relationship with the film, and I find it a little hard to believe that they won't nitpick it.

That being said, I also anticipate those who aren't acquainted with the musical having issues, such as with length and pacing. In short, I expect fervent debate about whether "Les Miserables" belongs at the pinnacle of 2012 films.

The best award possibilities for "Les Miserables" reside in Anne Hathaway's performance, which elevates the character of Fantine far above any version I've ever seen, delivering its own kind of seamlessness where musical and reality don't seem like two separate constructs. It's desperately moving work. In a field that features Sally Field ("Lincoln") and Helen Hunt ("The Sessions"), I have no trouble seeing Hathaway as a plausible winner, even if her screen time is much less than Hunt's. In addition, Samantha Banks' Eponine is worthy of the musical's most cherished character if not transcendent – she could be in awards play as well.

On the actor front, there is certainly likelihood for Hugh Jackman to break through that brutal field that also includes consensus leader Daniel Day-Lewis alongside Bradley Cooper, John Hawkes, Joaquin Phoenix, Denzel Washington and more. Supporting actor might be a bit less promising, because the one to keep an eye on is lesser-known "My Week with Marilyn" vet Eddie Redmayne, rather than the more vaunted Russell Crowe or Sacha Baron Cohen. (Tonight's "in passing" note: In a wonderful year for child performers, add another to the list: Daniel Huttlestone as "Little People" leader Gavroche.)

Hooper's chance for Oscar glory on "Les Miserables" might be as good as it was at this time two years ago, before "The King's Speech" thundered ahead and ultimately vanquished "The Social Network." The difference right now is the appearance of a wider field that includes "Argo," "Lincoln," "Silver Linings Playbook" and, if you ask me, "Zero Dark Thirty." I'd throw others in if I had my druthers, but those five are generating the most conversation and the least amount of dismissal. And I still don't see an unadulterated favorite. "

Posted by Wildcard 2012-11-27 19:50:58

Why do we care so much whether this film will win Best Picture or not? It's already very likely that it will be nominated for Best Picture. What matters more to me is whether the film will be a success at the box office. That's what will dictate whether we will likely see more musical films in the future. The Best Picture award is meaningless other than to give kudos to the filmmakers. In recent years, the win hasn't really translated into a significant bump in box office numbers.

Posted by ray-andallthatjazz86 2012-11-27 20:03:50

Wildcard, I mainly care because I think it's important for movie musicals to win Best Picture; lots of studios will make some of these films for the prestige factor but when they fail both at the box office and as Oscar projects, they are discouraged. I don't think that's an exaggeration, I feel like a lot of studios have incredibly short memory and so a lot of projects get made or don't get made based on the success/failure of what the studios deem as "similar films" (of course it's ridiculous a movie like CHICAGO would be considered "similar" to LES MIZ, for example, just because of the fact they both use music). Also, a Best Picture win has a lot to do with the financial success of a movie like this, just look at the success of THE KING'S SPEECH and SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE.

Posted by CapnHook 2012-11-27 20:07:08

It's important for any film to be nominated for Best Picture so that future generations look back to know what handful of films were "best" of the year. Sure, it's all relative and many "best" and "favorite" films go unnominated and may still be remembered, but having a Best Picture nod instantly puts you on the list of "films to remember of 2012."

My sister loves the movies and is working on watching every film nominated for Best Picture and also on the AFI Top 100 list. She has discovered many new favorite films that she would never have considered watching before, merely because she was told that it was the "best" of the year.

Twenty years from now, a new generation will want to look back at what films today we thought were "best."

Posted by My Oh My 2012-11-27 22:40:23

Have never been so torn before:

I wish to slap, slap, slappitty-slap everyone hyping this film up because I've seen what hype is capable of, and it ain't always pretty.

At the same time, I'm elated that it is getting so much overwhelmingly positive press so far.

Why do I care so much? *sigh*

Posted by MrMidwest 2012-11-28 12:54:33

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-11-28 15:03:21

Why do I care so much?

Because of your quite run of the mill level of investment!

Posted by jo 2012-11-28 19:06:50

If you have the interest and the patience -- the official Universal Pictures Awards site shares a massive amount of information in the Production Notes section.

http://universalpicturesawards.com/#/lesmis

Click on Production Notes -- it is a very long read, but a very informative and insightful collection and recollection of many aspects of the filmmaking (from preproduction to filming).

Btw, this site is for the consumption of the awards community.

Posted by DAME 2012-11-28 19:36:36

This is a broadway chat board. This is the first major movie musical in a long time. WHat else should we be talking about? The weather?

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2012-11-28 20:10:45

Thanks to jacobsnchz14 for linking that French release version of the Les Miserables poster. It's really beautiful. Anne Hathaway bears a striking resemblance to the young Patti LuPone in many of the photographs I have seen so far.

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2012-11-28 20:14:53

Here's the one from Japan:

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-11-28 20:37:22

Why is HBC above the title but not SBC?

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2012-11-28 21:09:50

WOW!! LMAO!!!

Posted by DAME 2012-11-28 22:39:58

I love it! This show used to have the most inventive print adds. Anyone have some more?

Posted by michellek45 2012-11-29 10:03:35

There was a great poster floating around tumblr awhile ago of all the international little Cosettes, and it had her doing things like wearing a sombrero and riding a kangaroo. I'll see if I can find it again.

Posted by Auggie27 2012-11-29 11:39:59

Are they not continuing the practice of recent years, nominating as many as 10 films? Does anyone think that it won't be included among 10? And even if it is reduced to 5, it seems more likely to be nominated than not. Barring major critical rejection, which as Dame notes, is a possibility. Since the show itself never achieved consensus (check out the NY Times, infamously), it's hard to fathom the film -- a tougher medium to make musicals play convincing, especially an historical epic with a pop score -- escaping scrutiny. Film critics are also notoriously suspicious of stage plays as movie fodder.

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-11-29 12:07:27

Auggie, I think that every critic knows the musical, and are likely to judge the film on how good an adaptation it is; with those valuing the show being, if anything, a harder sell, than those who will see the source material as a preexisting handicap for the filmmakers.

Posted by saisai 2012-11-29 20:54:24

Just went to a screening today in NYC! I was impressed by Anne Hathaway, Eddie Redmayne and Hugh Jackman's performances. Helena Bonham Carter and Sacha Baron Cohen were perfect as the Thenardiers. Not so impressed by Russel Crowe.

I enjoyed the film overall. I was moved to tears a few times in the movie and couldn't hold back in the last scene. Eddie Redmayne did such a great job I never cared so much for Marius before.

I did not care for the new song either.

Can't wait to see it again and again and again!!!

Posted by Auggie27 2012-11-30 07:24:50

Eric, I was suggesting that a show so known for its ability to wring tears, i.e. perceived by some to be abjectly sentimental, can bring out the knives in film critics. Yes, they all know the source well, but the show's heart on its sleeve sensibility hasn't always won critics. I well remember the reception in London and NY.

Posted by Movidude742 2012-12-01 00:18:42

the running time of the movie (without trailers or exhibitor snipes) is 2 hours 37 minutes. so once it hits theaters it should clock in at just under 3 hours

Posted by beautywickedlover 2012-12-01 00:29:13

"but I think a year playing the part in the West End hurt her chances of finding new insights for the big screen."

That was my concern about casting only one 'Les Miz' veteran in an entire cast of newbies. It could've happened to Lea Michele, who played the role before. In 'The Wiz', not a brilliant film, there were at least two veterans from the stage production, Mabel King and Ted Ross.

ETA: I also forgot that Rex Harrison wasn't the only veteran of 'My Fair Lady' in the film adaptation, Stanley Holloway also reprised his role as Alfred P. Doolittle in the movie.

Posted by Iris Chacon 2012-12-01 13:06:24

So went last night to the screening at the tv academy. 3 minutes into it their digital feed died ( rain related issues I guess). . Audience was sent home. . Will try again on Tuesday.

Posted by theaternut 2012-12-01 19:46:07

With all these industry screenings I guess everyone in NY, LA and Chicago will have seen it before opening day?

Posted by Iris Chacon 2012-12-02 21:15:58

Yes

Posted by SporkGoddess 2012-12-03 14:15:52

I absolutely loved Argo and think it stands a strong chance. My fiance thinks that Les Mis will take the Oscar, though. Haven't seen Lincoln yet.

Posted by sueb1863 2012-12-03 19:43:41

Well, that 1992 ad was only off by twenty years. :)

Posted by EponineThenardier 2012-12-09 14:13:58

Don't know if this has been posted: interview with Hugh, there's a tiny clip of Soliloquy which i haven't heard yet. Around the 1:22 mark

Posted by willep 2012-12-09 14:38:26

Cool, I hadn't seen that one yet. Thanks for posting

Posted by Blockhead24 2012-12-09 19:07:30

If you're in NYC check fandango..there may still be tickets available for the 19th up at Lincoln Center

Posted by MikeInTheDistrict 2012-12-09 19:19:39

^ That screening is at the AMC Loews at Lincoln Square. You don't want to end up going to the wrong theater. :P

Posted by HBP 2012-12-09 20:09:55

Has anyone been to a recent screening? I feel like we haven't heard any info on "Suddenly," yet.

Posted by p.s. 2012-12-10 10:09:30

Has anyone been to a recent screening? I feel like we haven't heard any info on "Suddenly," yet.

Remember all the criticism four years ago that the music of A Tale of Two Cities sounded stolen/copied from Les Miserables?

From the little I hear in this featurette - "Suddenly" sounds musically like an unused song written for ATOTC, now being used in the Les Miz movie.

p.s. I'll be at a screening Wednesday night in Washington D.C.

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-12-10 11:01:54

^So by the associative property of musical scores, since the score of ATOTC sounds like a collection of Les Mis trunk songs, and as Suddenly sounds like an ATOTC trunk song, then Suddenly must also sound like an Les Mis trunk song.

Albeit perhaps something further down in the trunk because it didn't even make it into ATOTC?

Is that what you mean?

Posted by p.s. 2012-12-10 15:24:34

Is that what you mean?

No, it is not what I mean.

Certainly not all of the songs of ATOTC sound like copies of Les Miz songs. From the very little bits of "Suddenly" that I heard, however, my thoughts went back to "Little One" and "Let Her Be a Child" and even "If Dreams Came True."

p.s. I love both shows. I am not knocking Les Miz. But, then again, I didn't agree with all the criticism that ATOTC got at the time.

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-12-10 15:54:19

Got it. Thanks.

Posted by Colle 2012-12-14 13:28:10

For those who have seen the movie, for each of the main or supporting actors, what clips of them would you show at the Oscars if they get nonimated?

Posted by ChanceEncounter 2012-12-14 15:06:25

Saw an awards screening Wednesday and was COMPLETELY UNDERWHELMED. The direction absolutely destroys everything. A musical and is broad and sweeping is boxed in at every turn. I was bored "I Dreamed a Dream" even began. Hooper did not serve the material well.

Posted by HBP 2012-12-18 20:14:08

Anyone going to the screening tomorrow at AMC Loews Lincoln Square? What time do we think people will be lining up for a 7:00 movie?

Posted by MikeInTheDistrict 2012-12-18 22:00:20

I wrote a very long fan review of the film on IMDB. I won't post the whole thing, because it's long (it includes a ranking among other Les Miz films and includes a list of song changes/cuts for those interested) and few will want to read the whole thing, but here is the first paragraph that sums it up:

Contrary to what you’ve heard, this is not an adaptation of the world-famous stage musical. This is a film adaptation of Victor Hugo’s 1862 novel that unfolds through the medium of song. Screenwriter William Nicholson seems to have consciously eschewed any memory of Trevor Nunn and John Caird’s wildly popular staging, and used Boublil/Schönberg/Kretzmer’s libretto as an apparatus through which to convey Hugo’s vast and socially-conscious five-volume novel. The familiar songs are all here. Valjean still has his dark night of the soul, Fantine still sings of lost innocence and love, Javert about celestial orbs, and Marius about a deserted cafe. The students still contemplate the colors of their flag, and the dead still ask us who are living if we will join in their crusade. But the context and settings have been completely and poignantly reimagined. Nicholson’s screenplay, combined with Tom Hooper’s up-close-and-personal direction and a cast who throw themselves headfirst into their roles result in a film that is paradoxically smaller than its stage counterpart, and yet more punctuated in its pathos. Though this meeting of Hugo’s vast and sweeping narrative and Hooper’s stubbornly intimate direction is somewhat uncomfortable at times, I enjoyed every minute of this film.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-12-18 23:53:46

I saw it tonight and it was more or less exactly what I'd hoped it would be. I don't think I would have noticed the excessive use of close-ups if there hadn't already been so many reviews kvetching about it, but for the first twenty minutes or so it was hard not to focus on the close-ups. Because of all the brouhaha about the live singing I found myself focusing on what happened with the voices when shots were switched within a song. And maybe it's just me, but there were certain songs that didn't quite have that same "live" feel, most notably "On My Own." It may just be that Samantha Barks is a more proficient singer than most in it, but something about that song didn't quite sound like it was as live as the rest of the singing.

That said, I really can find very little to complain about. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, particularly if you don't like wall to wall singing or if you're expecting a note for note translation of the stage show. I've always been a fan of the musical, but I'm not so dedicated to it that the various cuts and changes affected me. I've also not listened to a complete recording of it in a long long time, so while I could pick out cuts in verses in some of the big songs, I can't really speak to a lot of the stuff that got cut in some of the lesser moments.

I know a lot of the negative remarks about it have been about Russell Crowe, and I don't know if I was expecting a lot worse due to his mixed reviews, but while I wasn't blown away by his voice, I didn't find him detrimental. I liked "Stars" quite a lot. Most the actors don't have particularly great voices, but that's nothing that irritates me in a movie musical unless they are supposed to be singers. And while this may get me banned, I didn't think Hugh Jackman was particularly strong in much of his singing, particularly anything that required him to go high. Again, it didn't bug me. I thought the best voices by far were Eddie Redmayne and Samantha Barks.

I think the film is going to divide people, musical and non-musical fans alike, but I really enjoyed it and can't wait to see it again.

Posted by eatlasagna 2012-12-19 01:37:56

I too saw a screening tonight and I absolutely loved it. Every rave about Anne Hathaway is deserved.. such a devastating performance

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed Amanda Seyfried as Cosette. I didn't quite like her in the clips but for some reason I enjoyed her in the movie... weird... her acting is also a big plus and she just feels very natural in the role (if that makes sense).

Eddie Redmayne is fantastic as Marius

now I enjoyed Russell Crowe as Javert... I think he sang it the way he acted it... this is a guy who is not supposed to have emotion and is a man of the law... i think his singing was perfectly suitable and I enjoyed him.. his suicide was superb

i enjoyed the changes to suit the film... a bit jarring a first when you're singing a long in your head... but i thought it was well done..

and i am one of those people who didn't quite like the way too many close ups.. it got old after a while... which is why i loved the non camera movement for I dreamed a dream

i hope to see this again

Posted by broadwayfever 2012-12-19 04:04:57

@Mike

I just read your entire review...that was amazing! It was the most detailed and thorough review I've read so far.

Thanks for all the insight.

Posted by millie_dillmount 2012-12-19 06:38:55

So disappointed. I was supposed to go to a pre-screening tonight (someone I knew won tickets) but was turned away due to full capacity.

Posted by singer73192 2012-12-19 08:22:50

Could someone explain what the deal is with the screening at AMC Lincoln Square? Is the public able to get tickets via Fandango? How? THANKS!

Posted by My Oh My 2012-12-19 09:22:41

Mike, I know where you're getting at with the claim that this film adaptation isn't one of the stage musical but rather one of the original novel and all, but I don't buy it.

There is absolutely no question that this film adaptation is mostly one of the stage musical, with details and other larger bits of the novel incorporated. Not being anything like the stage version is the very definition of an adaptation; the film took the shape it did not because it intentionally went in with mostly the novel in mind, but because the medium allows a lot of scenes from the novel to work alongside the musical material. I'm sure everything they added and even rewrote that came directly from the novel was incorporated because it strengthened, deepened, clarified, or enhanced the existing musical material and not for the sole purpose of reinventing anything, as they've claimed in a mostly marketing ploy.

As for the rest of you, I don't know which fans you're referring to when you say that the show's biggest fans will have a problem with this and that cut, snippet, or edit. And there isn't a single diehard fan I've met who insists the film be a clone of the stage musical.

Mike mentioned it, and so have a few others on these boards, that the film completely does away with Trevor Nunn and John Caird's concept and has taken directions never before taken.

Again, it is an adaptation of the stage musical, so of course they aren't going to take the same direction that Nunn and Caird did and their concept wasn't too far from the film's concept, anyway. The difference between the two is one allows a greater amount of detail to be added, while the other works best in a more streamlined fashion.

Posted by gcal 2012-12-19 11:16:05

I saw a preview of the film last night and generally loved it. I got completely swept up in the story and the emotion of the whole thing.

A few minor quibbles:
"On My Own" seemed to come out of nowhere.
I sighed a few times when Hugh Jackman started singing again. Couldn't they have lowered the keys?

And really... that's about it. I thought it was pretty wonderful.

Posted by dtzumbrunnen 2012-12-19 11:40:43

I've seen it twice now, and agree with basically everything that Phyllis posted.

I have no attachment to the musical. I know the big songs, and I've seen the concert version, but I've never been able to get into the story - it's always felt too big and convoluted to me - but this version changed my view.

When it comes to parts I could do without, I would absolutely take more Russell Crowe if I could slow down Amanda Seyfried's insanely fast vibrato. That got on my nerves much more than his singing voice did. But honestly, at that point it's being incredibly nit-picky. This is a great work. The second time around I connected much more to it and may have even shed a tear when Gavroche and Valjean died.

Posted by TheatreDiva90016 2012-12-19 11:50:33

I can't understand what the deal is with people saying it's not the musical. It is VERY MUCH the film version of the musical, just as any film version of any other musical.

Saw it last night and loved it. I also agree with PRS and her report. And I also was surprised by how much I enjoyed Amanda Z. as well as Sasha Baron Cohen. He really could have wrecked the film, but I thought his performance was quite brilliant (same with HBC)

It was a stunningly beautiful film.

I only wish Russell Crow had a little more 'musicality' to him. His singing made me cringe.

Posted by MikeInTheDistrict 2012-12-19 12:00:03

@broadwayfever, thanks! :) Glad you enjoyed it (and actually managed to read the whole thing!).

@My Oh My, thanks for your comments. I've enjoyed your posts on this musical in the past. I think semantics might be obscuring things here. I am most familiar with the word "adaptation" in the biological sense (I'm a science writer). Over the course of generations, an organism responds to a new environmental demands through evolutionary adaptations. Sometimes, these adaptations are slight and what we see is essentially the same animal with slightly different characteristics, as with the brown bear and the grizzly bear. I would say Chris Columbus' RENT and Joel Schumacher's Phantom are good examples of films that are only a few generations removed from their stage counterparts.

Obviously, you're correct in that the film follows the musical's conception of the novel. Otherwise, we'd probably be missing most of the numbers and have them replace with completely different scenes. I felt like Hooper and Nicholson used the libretto as a basic skeleton, but their priority was telling Hugo's story. Why do I say this? I think many people are going to go into the cinema expecting the sense of the relative scale among the characters and the songs to match the stage version. That is not what they're going to get. Look at the thread about the "One Day More" clip. That number in the film is not the showstopper it is on stage, while "Do You Hear the People Sing?" feels exuberant and driven. Eponine's character feels less prominent, Cosette more so, and the barricade is feels much more underpowered and ragtag. Essentially, I'm saying that if you go in with an eye for "Les Miserables: the world-famous story of Jean Valjean" rather than "Les Miserables: the world-famous musical phenomenon", you will be far better rewarded. Anyway, this was just my own impression of the film. Others will obviously see it differently.

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-12-19 12:20:48

Having read the screenplay online, I'd like a simple answer to this question. In what way is the movie at all different from the musical? Unless the script is markedly different than the one revealed online, Les Mis seemed to me to be among the most faithful adaptations from libretto to screen of any stage musical ever. Sure, there were touches here or there from the novel - the set piece of the Elephant monument for instance - and, of course, it is a movie so the form is different than a stage musical (unless it is one of those rare movies that merely tries to replicate the stage experience on film), but I find it hard to believe that - again, if the script is what was released - that there is any other difference at all from the show.

Posted by MikeInTheDistrict 2012-12-19 12:30:25

Okay, perhaps my subjective impression is not really justifiable. The libretto is pretty much 90% the same, but the way it's filmed and the way it's blocked makes it feel very different. I can't really explain it better than i did in the IMDB post. Again, this is probably very subjective and maybe a bit of wishful thinking on my part, as I am a bigger fan of the novel than the musical. Perhaps I wanted to see more of an adaptation of the novel than the musical.

Posted by SporkGoddess 2012-12-19 12:34:56

I'm reading reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. Wow, a lot of critics are majorly slamming this movie.

A lot of them don't seem to understand the original novel, though, either.

Posted by p.s. 2012-12-19 12:40:49

Basically, I'm saying that if you go in with an eye for "Les Miserables: the world-famous story of Jean Valjean" rather than "Les Miserables: the world-famous musical phenomenon", you will be far better rewarded.

@Mike: Thanks so much for that! I saw the movie last week (12/12 in D.C.) and I guess I experienced it as still another of the many different productions of the musical that I've seen. That is, I certainly enjoyed it overall, but kept taking note of the differences and changes and performances as compared to the "standard" (my history of "standards").

My next viewing will be with an eye for the film which tells the world-famous story of Jean Valjean (a select ONE of the title characters).

p.s. 10:00 p.m. Xmas eve.

Posted by Wildcard 2012-12-19 12:50:02

"I'm reading reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. Wow, a lot of critics are majorly slamming this movie.

A lot of them don't seem to understand the original novel, though, either."

I can understand critics not liking the direction or editing. However, when it comes to the material, I think it comes down to people not liking musicals, period. They are unable to suspend disbelief. However, if you put on a cape on someone and make him fly, they are more easily able to accept the premise.

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-12-19 13:16:55

Mike you talk about the feeling of the movie being different and you talk about the movie being most rewarding in terms of telling Jean Valjean's story. But wouldn't you also agree that the musical on stage is - in the way book musicals at their best are - extremely rewarding as a telling of the story of Jean Valjean?

I personally like the stage musical very much because it does tells Jean Valjean's story effectively and by using the vocabulary of musical theater does so with a stirring emotional intensity. Of course the show, like almost any musical, has its champions and detractors. But there is no question that Les Mis on stage is, at its core, a book musical that tells the story of Jean Valjean, his having stolen a loaf of bread out of starvation (the inciting incident), his imprisonment and release, difficulties in being accepted as a convict, return to crime, epiphany from experiencing compassion (via the Bishop's magnanimity) rather than punishment for his wrongdoing, followed by a life of marked success (not achieved on his own - shades of Obama's so-called faux pas - but with the help of others) and civic duty followed by a spiritual life of love and redemption amid the background of political unrest, a country crying out for justice on a national level akin to the justice he finally achieves for himself and those whom he sacrifices for.

All of that is in the show and on the most emotionally reeling terms that musical theater - and, arguably, musical theater alone
- can provide.

How can the movie of the musical succeed without BOTH effectively telling the story (as the show does) and at the same time achieving the singular heightened emotional impact of the musical?

Perhaps it simply doesn't succeed on the second level. If not, why bother? There are countless versions of Les Miserables on screen already and a few of them (Raymond Bernard's 1935 French version, available on HULU's Criterion collection, is a masterpiece) quite extraordinary. Moreover, a musical to work has to achieve that emotionally heightened connection, particularly a musical telling a story as poignant and classic as this one. And, above all, a musical that is sung through or all but sung through!!!

Or are you saying that it does achieve that emotional impact but simply doesn't achieve it with the same musical proficiency one looks for in a solid stage production of Les Mis?

That, of course, presents a very different question.

Posted by TheatreDiva90016 2012-12-19 14:29:29

"The libretto is pretty much 90% the same, but the way it's filmed and the way it's blocked makes it feel very different."

That's because it's a movie. If you are expecting a turntable and belters, you won't be getting that.

It's just as much a film version of the musical as Camelot, Cabaret, Sound Of Music, or any other musical that was turned into a movie.

Let it go.

Posted by ChanceEncounter 2012-12-19 14:56:36

It's a badly filmed version of the musical.

The directing absolutely destroyed it for me. Hooper has seriously never heard of a mid shot

Posted by JP2 2012-12-19 15:18:05

Saw it last night and I also loved it. Had a few nitpicks, but they were just that... nitpicks.

Posted by MikeInTheDistrict 2012-12-19 16:21:23

p.s., I was at that screening, too! :) My initial impression was similar to yours: basically, comparing it to the "standard" version. It took me a few days to really process it and see it on its own terms.

TheatreDiva, I’m confused by your comment. I LIKED the film. My review was positive. I don’t understand why it should bother anyone that I simply saw this film more as an adaptation of the novel (and enjoyed the film all the more for this very reason)? Why does that irk people? Again, I liked the film. Re: Cabaret, I actually don’t consider that film an adaptation of the stage version. I see it as a film that uses Kander and Ebb’s music to tell a story inspired by Christopher Isherwood’s Berlin Stories. And it’s a beautiful film that I love. Same with Milos Forman’s Hair. I don’t consider that a film adaptation of the stage musical. It’s its own creature (which I think is much underrated), that uses the the songs from the musical to tell its own story about the Vietnam-era counterculture.

henrik, I actually consider the musical one of the most successful version of the story. It gets more into its three hours (sometimes even managing to approximate word-for-word Hugo’s own words) than many other versions. (And, somewhere in my review, I mention that I consider this film the second-best adaptation of the novel; second only to Bernard's 1934 version.) It may make more sense if I explain the context of my review. Like p.s., I saw the 12/12/12 showing in D.C. last week. At that time, the film was barely holding onto its 70% “fresh” rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The main criticism from the critics who actually bothered to do their research was that Hooper’s direction alters the material too much:

For example, TIME magazine’s Richard Corliss, who writes: “The earlier movie versions of the Hugo story exploited its epic sweep, and that should be the central advantage a film of the musical has over its stage incarnation... People near me at the Les Miz screening I attended may step forward to testify, “I saw you cry. In fact, I heard you cry.” It’s true. I’m an easy weep. I get misty at beer commercials and puppy videos and when Chris Christie talks about his love for Bruce Springsteen. I’ve sobbed the four or five times I’ve seen Les Miz on stage. And a few times during this movie, I wiped away tears. That’s my problem, and I can live with it. Tom Hooper’s problem is soiling good projects with bad direction. Even if his Les Misérables wins as many Oscars as The King’s Speech did, it’s a habit he really needs to correct.”

And Luke Buckmaster from Cinetology: “Hooper has managed to suck the life out of a magnificent production...”

My initial impression of the film was actually in concert with these criticisms. And perhaps it was colored even more by my fondness for the stage version. Perhaps I was expecting a more literal translation of the stage version (which is unrealistic for a director like Hooper). I was expecting the numbers to have the same relative importance in the film that they do in the stage version. They didn’t. But what Hooper did manage was to focus the story much more on Valjean. As I say in my review, the film feels much less of an ensemble production than the stage version. It feels very much focused on Valjean, and everyone else is sort of playing their part in what is HIS story.

The musical is more broad and sweeping. This film is very exciting, but feels much more focused and smaller. And I don’t think this is an inherent to the nature of the film medium vs. the stage. Certainly, the acting is usually smaller than in the theatre, but there is definitely a way to make “One Day More” the same sort of big moment it is on stage. Another director may have tried to maintain that number’s epic nature. Hooper and Nicholson went in a different direction. For me, that direction takes it closer to the novel and I like that. (This rebellion is small, undermanned, and somewhat chaotic. You get a better sense of that from the film.) But I think many people will go into the cinema expecting the film to maintain the same sense of scale from the stage version. But that doesn’t happen. And I think that may disappoint some people (as evidenced by some of the comments in this thread).

And again, before anyone else mistakes me from a crazed fan who is complaining that this film isn’t exactly like the stage version: I enjoyed the film. :P

Posted by TheatreDiva90016 2012-12-19 17:38:06

We've all seen what can happen when the film a stage musical and don't change much of anything for the film version (Producers, anyone?).

It is NOT a film version of the novel. It's a film version of the musical.

Posted by MikeInTheDistrict 2012-12-19 17:54:13

It struck me in the way you phrased that that it may have been wrong of me to set up a dichotomy and make the two mutually exclusive: perhaps the film is BOTH an adaptation of the novel as well as the musical? You really can't have the latter without the former anyway. It sounds so odd to hear you say that this isn't an adaptation of the novel.

I hadn't anticipated having to so hyper-literal in order not to be misconstrued.

Posted by willep 2012-12-19 23:05:54

Interestingly enough, most of the people I know who have seen it (all musical theatre people) have said that Russell is one of the best performances in the film (he and Anne, specifically). And we all loved the film.

Hugh's Bring Him Home is probably the most disappointing number overall. He just starts it so aggressively, where is the tenderness? And he just looks like he is straining so hard to hit those notes that we know he can hit.

Posted by CapnHook 2012-12-19 23:35:03

Highlight: Anne Hathaway

Lowlight: Tom Hooper's direction

Everything else was in the middle.

Posted by HBP 2012-12-20 00:21:59

Just saw a screening in NY. I thought it was phenomenal. My excitement level dropped down to about a 6 after seeing the preview clips & especially "One Day More," but every actor met and often exceeded my expectations. I was especially impressed by Hugh, Anne and Russell.

Javert's voice annoyed me in the clips and sounded very forced, but he really played the role like a man with a giant stick up his @ss, so I found the voice to be very fitting. Amanda Seyfried's voice was also surprisingly bearable.

As for "One Day More," it felt much more logical and less jumpy when seen in the context of the film. It also serves as a nice transition piece between the pre- and post-revolution scenes without being a big, showy number as it functions on stage.

A wonderfully cast movie. I think more people will enjoy it than won't.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-12-20 00:50:56

I also want to add, and maybe this is semi-spoilery, but the fact that Do You Hear the People Sing comes a little bit later in the movie gives that song a more rousing feel than One Day More. And I don't say that as a bad thing.

Another thing that I felt was that the movie felt a lot more intimate and less of a spectacle than the stage version. Again, I don't mean that as a bad thing. There are a lot of complaints about the direction and the tight shots and, yeah, I get it, but there was an intimacy I felt with it that I wasn't expecting. Valjean's Soliloquy was almost wrenchingly intimate, to point where I think that's where a lot of people are going to start to get turned off.

Posted by NoName3 2012-12-20 02:17:41

"If you remember back in the day, all these Broadway plays and sh_t, dawg. It's a take off on that."

"The freshest part of that video was the elephant's ass," he said. "That and the big ship coming in. That was a cool effect. But the rest of the movie is lameness. I just wanted it to end. That's how I felt about that f__king trailer. Not only is a musical, which is lame as f__k, but it's from France."

Posted by Wildcard 2012-12-20 02:52:31

I saw the film tonight and I loved it. Like many, I was worried about what I would see based on some early critics' reviews and the clips we had been shown. I came into the movie with tempered expectations and I found that as a whole, I was impressed with the movie. Spoilers below --

The film started off "shaky." And I mean that literally. If there was something I would nitpick about the movie, it was the use of hand-held cameras. I thought to myself, have they not heard of steady-cams? Fortunately, as the film progressed, they either used less of this style or I had just gotten used to it. One of the comments other people had mentioned was the use of close-ups. It did not bother me at all like I was afraid it would. In fact, it made the film very intimate even though Valjean's story is an epic one. The other concern I had was of the sets looking like sets; how scenes were lit. While there was a surrealness to the way the movie looked, my concern didn't materialize as I was able to accept the look of the film.

The acting was very good -- all of them. Even the singing was very apt. Fears of Russell's voice or Amanda's speedy vibrato ruining the movie were unfounded. Of course, if you are hoping for the bombastic sing-to-the-rafters style of the Broadway stage (or the Christina Aguilera riffs of the 25th anniversary tour), you would be disappointed. Stick to the concert versions (I'm looking at you Dave19). The songs in the film were sung to tell a story. And did they. The machinations of the characters were clear and it explained why they did the things they did. The lyric changes helped as well. After all, when watching the film, one wouldn't have access to the synopsis from a Playbill.

Fantine's "I Dreamed A Dream" was a tour-de-force. Anne sung and acted it in a way I had never seen before. It was full of emotion. Russell Crowe's "Stars" was prefaced with Javert in prayer. It was not a loud forceful performance. It was sung, in a way, as a prayer and it moved me. "One Day More" was not too exciting when seen by itself. However, in context of the film, it provided a nice build up to what was about to happen. It wasn't as rousing as it is on stage but it wasn't a set-up to an intermission either. The same goes with "On My Own". It didn't have the same impact it did on stage but then again, it was also a quiet number and not a post-intermission rabble-rouser. It was sad but it was intimate. Part of me wished the setting was different. I wanted a more romantic visage. Perhaps see the Seine. But then again, this romantic notion of Paris I had in my head was a result of the Haussmann Plan (look it up). This was not the Paris of Les Mis.

Marius' "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables" was also performed in a way I had never seen before. This was the second act equivalent of IDAD. Eddie Redmayne should be getting as much attention as Anne in a role that onstage is often looked over. One would think that the second act equivalent of IDAD should be "Bring Him Home." This was actually the only song that I was disappointed with. Hugh was very good in the rest of the film. But just as I loved "Stars" having been sung as a prayer, the literal prayer of "Bring Him Home" was a loud aria that seemed out of place in its setting and in the language of the film. As Willep said above, there was no tenderness in it. Other than that, Hugh was very good especially in the first half of the film.

Helena Bonham-Carter sounded nothing like she did in "Sweeney Todd." Thank God! While she still had her occasional falsettos, her voice was fuller and not whispered. Sacha Baron Cohen definitely put his own stamp on the role of Thenardier. He was funny but unfortunately, the Thenardiers' roles were much reduced compared to the stage version. However, I understand why that was done in order to put the focus on the Valjean/Javert story. Speaking of funny, there were two moments when people in the theater laughed. Unfortunately, these were scenes which weren't supposed to get laughs. The first was when Valjean first meets young Cosette. He says "Don't be afraid" then follows it up with "Where do you live?" It was creepy. The second unintentional laugh occurs during "In My Life" when Valjean enters Cosette's room with his shirt wide open. It definitely put a new meaning to their relationship.

I have seen the original production four or five times and the 25th anniversary version twice. I think I can say that I loved the film more. While I missed what they had removed, I was very happy with what they added. It's not a perfect movie but it does not disappoint, especially as a fan of the material. Forget Les Mis as you know it and I hope you would enjoy the film as much as I did. I'll definitely see it again.

Posted by Dave19 2012-12-20 06:55:00

"Of course, if you are hoping for the bombastic sing-to-the-rafters style of the Broadway stage, you would be disappointed. Stick to the concert versions (I'm looking at you Dave19)"

The style you are describing is exactly what Hugh does and what I don't like. I find his performance way too theatrical and I have seen many stage Valjeans giving a much more film-like performance.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-12-20 22:18:52

The more I think about the movie, the more I want to see it again. I can't wait till more people to see it, because I want to hear reactions to things other than clips that keep appearing online.

Some more reflections. It goes without saying that some of it is spoilery. Say what you want, I think as much of the score was kept as could be expected and while there may a few snippets here and there I might have wish they'd kept, it isn't something like Dreamgirls, where all the early word was how they'd kept almost all of the songs and yada yada yada, but really, some of the very best of the score was gutted. I was really impressed with how much of the show is there in Les Mis. I didn't even realize "On My Own" drops the entire first section until the song was almost over. For the 14 year old gay boy who identified so much with Eponine still inside me, I thought Samantha Barks was pretty marvelous.

I really think people are going to fiercely divided over this since people are already divided over the clips. I really hope everyone love it as much as I did. But I'll get if you don't. That's how I felt about Dreagmirls. I felt like that was a lot of squandered potential. If Les Mis misses the mark at times, I don't think it's for lack of vision. I just think it's not the vision a lot of people might have wanted for it.

Posted by ChanceEncounter 2012-12-21 00:45:36

It's is for a lack of vision kringas, the vision so greatly limited by Hooper's poor choices.

But I agree about Barks. She was great.

Posted by EponineThenardier 2012-12-21 17:36:50

How was Hadley Fraser's cameo? And is his moustache as awesome as we've been led to believe? =)

Posted by Dave19 2012-12-21 18:10:07

Phyllis, the begin section of "on my own" is cut?
Where does the song start?

And is the reprise of "I dreamed a dream" still there when Valjean takes Cosette away from the Thenardiers? (There is a duty I must heed, there is a promise I have made, for I was blind to one in need, I did not see what stood before me.....now her mother is with god, Fantine's suffering is over, and I speak here with her name, and I stand here in her place, and from this day and evermore, Cosette shall live in my protection, I will not forsake my vow, Cosette shall have a father now, etc")

Posted by Wildcard 2012-12-21 19:27:03

Hadley has a decent cameo and his facial hair is awesome. Still handsome.

On My Own begins with her saying "On My Own" after she reads Cosette's letter.

And yes, that part with Valjean and the Thenardiers is still there with changes (your mother...)

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-12-21 20:02:34

It starts with "On my own, pretending he's beside me."

I'm wracking my brain but I honestly can't remember if the part you just asked about was in there or not.

ETA- Wildcard beat me to it.

Posted by StageManager2 2012-12-21 20:35:46

ETA- Wildcard beat me to it.

Yeah, by like a half hour.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-12-21 20:38:17

Zing.

Posted by Dave19 2012-12-22 07:03:48

Thanks Wildcard and Phyllis!

And is the part still there when Valjean speaks to Eponine?
(Give that letter here my child, be careful, there's danger in the streets tonight)

Posted by rosscoe(au) 2012-12-22 07:10:45

Just got home from a packed screening in Brisbane Australia, loved some things, hated others. Crowe was a major surprise, On My Own was stunning, Empty Chairs at Empty Tables was heartbreaking. The last forty or so minutes was very emotion.

It's a pity someone like David Lean was not around to direct this, it should have been a grand sweeping 70mm movie or at least widescreen, at times it felt like a chamber piece.

Liked it a lot , just wanted more epic story telling.

Posted by rosscoe(au) 2012-12-22 08:17:02

Should also add that the Continuity in this movie was awful.

Posted by My Oh My 2012-12-22 08:50:41

"And is the part still there when Valjean speaks to Eponine?
(Give that letter here my child, be careful, there's danger in the streets tonight)"

I don't know if that whole scene is still in, but I do know it no longer involves Eponine delivering the letter to Cosette, which is intercepted by Valjean on stage. It now is in line with that scene in the novel where Gavroche is sent to deliver it.

I did a backing track of that moment in the stage version awhile back, and it was a revelation to me.

I thought I knew every last bit of the original orchs but for some reason most recordings that include that scene and all times I've seen it live on stage, there's this acoustic guitar part buried underneath that begins when Eponine sings, "I have a letter, M'sieur, it's addressed to your daughter, Cosette..."

It's hauntingly moody and also beautiful and sad. I intentionally made it very audible in my recreation of that song (guitar part starts @ 01:02):

"The Letter": http://snd.sc/TaPuFW

That's one thing I'm really gonna miss. That whole scene is just so beautifully played out on stage and I've always imagined how awesome it would be on film.

As much as I like it, I am happier with what I've seen and heard of the film. =)

Posted by Dave19 2012-12-22 09:09:27

Thanks My oh my, I agree, it's hauntingly beautiful. I remember this and the "Valjean's I dreamed a dream reprise" as 2 of the most beautiful parts of the show.

Thanks for the clip too, it's beautiful.

But Valjean still reads the letter out loud in the film on that melody?

For the ones who don't know the scene, it's in this clip from 1:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN7zI1WCmbk

Posted by willep 2012-12-22 11:23:28

Yes, if I recall correctly he does still read the letter out loud in with that melody.

Posted by uncageg 2013-02-16 22:44:18

I finally saw it this evening. Hat a voters copy. So glad I did not pay to see it in a theater. Not the worst movie but it put me to sleep near the end.

Saw the stage musical twice and would see it again. The movie just didn't do it for me. I would rather have see "NINE" again. That movie I really enjoyed. JMO