Printer Friendly - Cinderella at Macy's Parade

Cinderella at Macy's Parade
Posted by behindthescenes2 2012-11-22 13:01:31

Saw this - those are some truly butt-ugly costumes. U-G-L-Y, you ain't got no alibi, they are hideous. That stupid tiara on Cinderella - go back to design school. It looked like Helen Keller was given braille images and this is what she came up with. Actually, she was a genius so she might have done better. What was that Fairy Godmother dress? Looked like a reject from Little Mermaid Ursula character.

Posted by bwayfan4ever2 2012-11-22 13:12:39

I also was not impressed by the costumes especially the Fairy Godmother dress and Cinderella's crown which I wouldn't even describe as a tiara. Brought to mind an egg beater.

Posted by bwayphreak234 2012-11-22 13:16:19

I LOVED the costumes. I thought they were stunning.

Posted by BwayTday 2012-11-22 13:19:46

They were gorgeous. I loved the detailing on Fairy God Mother's dress. The rest of the ensemble gowns could use a little more of that detail.

Posted by aasjb4ever 2012-11-22 13:20:22

I also thought the costumes were gorgeous. Victoria Clark’s Fairy Godmother costume was beautiful.

Posted by bwayphreak234 2012-11-22 13:22:51

^ THIS <3

Posted by coryografer 2012-11-22 14:08:00

I too thought the costumes were great. The entire look of the number was charming and fresh. Remember, they tell us this will not be the Cinderella we remember from the past. I wish everyone connected with the show a long and successful run.

Posted by SNAFU 2012-11-22 14:10:31

Freaking butt ugly, amateurish looking costumes. Looked like Fairy Godmother was carrying a portable Dutch Oven.

Posted by bdn223 2012-11-22 14:14:51

I saw them in person and all I have to say is that Cinderella's costume designers name is being enscribed on a Tony Award as I type. They were beatiful and you can see how much effort went into each one.
Victoria Clark's gown is more character based and since according to press releases Margo(The Fairy Godmother) will be more aloof and much more of an outcast the "ugly" color choices make sense since she shouldn't have a sense of fashion.

Posted by Wishing Only Wounds 2012-11-22 14:20:32

I didn't mind the dresses but I hated the "Tiaras".

Posted by JohnyBroadway 2012-11-22 15:02:07

They were gorgeous, especially the ball gowns! This will be one smashing revival. Fingers crossed for a cast recording.

Posted by zepka102 2012-11-22 15:07:04

I didn't mind it, but I was kind of surprised by the simplicity of Laura's ball gown. It makes me wonder if these are the finished products or they just wanted to give us a small taste? After all, it's Cinderella. We wouldn't want to give away the big magical gown she wears!

The headpieces were interesting. They remind me of a Cinderella book I had in my classroom last year... very similar design. I guess we'll have to see how the rest of the design is to see how it all fits together.

Posted by beautywickedlover 2012-11-22 15:15:23

The crowns/tiaras that Julie Andrews, Lesley Ann Warren, and Brandy wore were all simple and very nice looking. I hope they make some changes to Laura's. After watching the videos at the musicals website, it seems that they gave Victoria Clark a forest looking costume. I am not sure how I feel about it. But I really enjoyed the performance and I really hope to see the show on my planned trip to NYC this spring.

Posted by SNAFU 2012-11-22 15:21:06

The gowns were monochromatic and boring. From what I could see clumsily crafted.

Posted by BwayTday 2012-11-22 15:34:19

I honestly can't see how anyone could think of Victoria's dress as anything but interesting and stunning. I wish the other dresses had that kind of flair but they all looked really nice while moving.

Posted by Jungle Red 2012-11-22 15:35:35

Any take any screenshots?

I want to see!

Posted by JohnyBroadway 2012-11-22 15:52:02

I will say, I am a bit biased to the gown in the last national tour. It was very similar to Brandy's dress in the film. The new dress is more like princess Giselle's from Enchanted. I do give the company props for performing 2 months before previews, I know Newsies did a sneak peek last year, but they had already done an out of town try- out.

Posted by CurtainPullDowner 2012-11-22 15:53:19

And Santino looked like a good lookin' guy in a tux, not a Prince.

I thought the dresses were ugly also.

Posted by Fire and Music 2012-11-22 16:01:40

I really liked the ensemble costumes. However, Cinderella's crown has got to go. What even is that? I did like the crown on the Fairy Godmother, though, probably because it has a character-y feel. I also don't particularly like Cinderella's gown, but I wouldn't say that I hate it. The way I picture Cinderella, the gown should be big and sparkly; somewhat like Glinda's bubble costume, but bigger.

Posted by degrassifan 2012-11-22 16:32:14

"The headpieces were interesting. They remind me of a Cinderella book I had in my classroom last year... very similar design."

Same here! They reminded me of a similar design in the book, "Cinderella, or the Little Glass Slipper" by Marcia Brown. Is that the book you are talking about?

Posted by behindthescenes2 2012-11-22 16:32:44

If the Tony goes to this designer, then it would be for the worst design, and that would make sense. Since, many times, Tony awards go to those who don't always deserve the award - it has to do with politics in the producing world and the money that the show on the road might bring it - NOT for talent. Sometimes the talent wins, usually if that person is on a road show money maker. If that were the case Jan Maxwell would have won ages ago. Welcome to show Business!
And the guy playing the Prince? Yet another gay Prince? oh well....

Posted by undercoveractor 2012-11-22 16:49:07

Good Lord! Some of you need to chill out! They haven't even officially gone into rehearsal yet for the actual production. As someone who was in auditions for this production and has read and studied the new script, the 'Fairy Godmother' costume makes sense. That character is different than what you may be expecting, so hang on until you are able to judge the costume in context. My guess is also that the Prince will not be in a simple tux, and the ensemble costumes will all be more elaborate with wigs, accessories, etc.....I seriously doubt that the majority is built yet, much less fitted and altered.
One last thing..the approach to this production is VERY different, so if you are expecting a rehash of the Julie Andrews, Lesley Anne Warren, or Brandy versions in terms of content or design, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. This is not That, but if you keep your minds open, who knows, you may love it on it's own terms.

Posted by MattDe 2012-11-22 16:51:08

they are stunning costumes

Posted by ljay889 2012-11-22 16:55:00

Yeah, some people really need to chill the F out. The production doesn't begin until January.

Posted by MattDe 2012-11-22 16:56:04

I also do not think they are the final code. The dress designers might be reading the board and redoing some of them. But it would be a big mistake. These are Susan's right

Posted by behindthescenes2 2012-11-22 17:03:52

Funny how people become very defensive on criticism of elements presented to the public, especially when they are supposed to be on a professional level - broadcasted on national television and coming to broadway. If these costumes were not finished, then they should not have presented it as such. The odd thing about a personal opinion, it is personal, and not yours. I haven't said a word about other positive opinions about the costumes on this thread, even though I don't agree. If someone likes them - great, wonderful. Just let others have the right to say they don't like what they see without saying "you need to chill the "F" out. Suddenly it is not about a critique of what was presented, but a critique and admonishment on those who dare to comment that it wasn't to their liking.

Posted by BwayBaby18 2012-11-22 17:10:24

I was most upset by Cinderella's ballgown... it just had no shape, no layers, no texture... it was very flat. The Ensemble were fine i hope they get a little more trimming out done to them.

Posted by TheatreDiva90016 2012-11-22 17:13:07

The Godmothers dress was... Different. I cant figure out if i like it or really hate it. They should have done a little more with her make up. She looked terribly washed out.

The ballroom dancers costumes were dull compared to it.

I didn't think they belonged in the same production.

Posted by OperaBwayLover 2012-11-22 17:27:28

I liked the dress designs, but I was a bit disappointed in the color choice for Cinderella's gown. My first thought when I saw it was, "wait, didn't the Lesley Ann Warren production have a white gown too?" I get that white represents purity and innocence, and Cinderella certainly has those traits, but I would have liked to have seen something new.

I did like the Fairy Godmother's gown, though. Unusual and certainly eye-catching, at least to me.

Posted by Visceral_Fella 2012-11-22 17:44:05

"Yet another gay Prince? oh well.... "

And? What does that have to do with anything? He's an actor. His sexuality doesn't inhibit his capability to play a person in love.

Posted by Mildred Plotka 2012-11-22 17:47:14

Perhaps they were put together for the Parade and aren't the final version?

Posted by dexter3 2012-11-22 18:17:25

Holy crap.

Wait till the show opens everyone.

Rarely does a show do such a public performance with costumes and staging almost 2 months before opening. It's quite possible they rented some of those costumes for the parade. Probably not Cinderella's or Godmother's, but still, chill out on the hating. Let's see how it works as a whole.

Posted by bjh2114 2012-11-22 18:20:55

Since, many times, Tony awards go to those who don't always deserve the award - it has to do with politics in the producing world and the money that the show on the road might bring it - NOT for talent.

Yah... that William Ivey Long. What a hack. *eyeroll*

Posted by cdgunzz97 2012-11-22 18:27:00

The only thing I'm disappointed about is the lack of Marla Mindelle's presence.

But other than that, this production looks like it's going to be very successful (or at least I hope it will be).

I also hope that they aren't finished with those costumes. I really like Victoria Clark's dress but if they were trying to create a "wow" factor with Laura's dress, they need to add more to it.

Posted by Joviedamian 2012-11-22 18:41:25

The Prince is gay? NO way!

Posted by CATSNYrevival 2012-11-22 19:12:04

From what little they have revealed so far, I'm not looking forward to the book at all, but I'm completely sold on the cast and the music. If those are to be the final arrangements they're going to use they were not too bad, and I thought Victoria Clark was simply stunning.

The costumes, however, were hideous and far too literal for my taste. They looked like the sort of elaborate period style clothing that you see on shows like The Tudors, which is fine, but I prefer a much more outlandish and other worldly approach like the design for the last US tour with Eartha Kitt. Those costumes were very colorful, cartoonish and downright hilarious and I loved them.

Posted by CurtainPullDowner 2012-11-22 19:20:31

We are commenting on the presentation, not the show.

The Prince is not gay, just sensitive, if he was gay his outfit would be more ornate and decorated.

Posted by behindthescenes2 2012-11-22 19:41:07

CurtainPullDowner, you are funny and quick! As far as the previous "eye-roll" person, i never said a name, and yes, if you see the history of the awards and who was nominated and who actually won, it might surprise you as to the politics and money that comes into play. If you knew that you wouldn't necessarily roll your eyes...anyway the prince reads gay, didn't say he was gay..oy vey!

Posted by bjh2114 2012-11-22 20:43:26

If you think the design awards are political, you're an idiot. The show awards and acting awards? Maybe. The writing awards? Sure. The design awards? No. The voters always end up picking either the most memorable design or the design for a show that is sweeping the awards. Nobody is winning a design Tony because they make money for road producers.

Posted by zepka102 2012-11-22 21:22:56

degrassifan, sorry for taking so long to get back (you know, Thanksgiving and all), but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same book. It's exactly what the costumes and especially the headpieces reminded me of.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's not the finished product costume-wise. They're not doing anything wrong with giving us a taste of what's to come. I'm sure a lot still will be tweaked between now and when it starts. Otherwise what are they going to do the next 2 months, twiddle their thumbs? I can't wait to see what comes of this. It's the show I'm most looking forward to.

CATS, did we get anything from the book? Everything we saw we already know if we grew up knowing the Julie Andrews or Brandy Cinderella's.

Posted by behindthescenes2 2012-11-22 21:35:59

Dear BJH - does that stand for blowjob from hell? Please, producers will do anything to claim an award to promote their show be it design, starring or otherwise so they can sell tickets and help their marketing. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. You sound and must the one of the many bitter OLD theatre queens that knows absolutely everything and everything about theatre and your opinion is the law. Again attacking someone personally says so very much about you. Just drink your tonic and take your pills and you'll be better in the morning. Just stating the obvious with the Tonys for the last 15 years or so.

Posted by ljay889 2012-11-22 21:39:27

^ Who are you? Your snotty and "know it all" tone is ugly. Stay in the chorus.

Posted by behindthescenes2 2012-11-22 21:44:58

Again to the ultra sensitive and those who have difficulty understanding English, only an opinion and not fact. You can attack me all you want, doesn't make my opinion any less valid. And, your opinion of me or name calling is not important.

Posted by beautywickedlover 2012-11-22 21:49:06

This is the last time that I will bring this up but because Cinderella is wearing a white dress and small crown, the way that the White Witch from 'Narnia' looked came immediately to my mind. If they keep the crown they I wouldn't be surprised if fans of the 'Narnia' books and films who go see this production will think, "where have I seen that crown and white dress before?"

Posted by bjh2114 2012-11-22 21:59:55

Dear BJH - does that stand for blowjob from hell?
Good one.

You sound and must the one of the many bitter OLD theatre queens that knows absolutely everything and everything about theatre and your opinion is the law.
Nope. 25. And I think all opinions are valid if they're based on anything of semi-realistic evidence.

Just stating the obvious with the Tonys for the last 15 years or so.
OK. Let's dance. Going back 15 years takes you back to 1997. Since you know so much, I'd like for you to tell me what design award winners won based on politics rather than merit or popularity. I'll wait for your list.

Again to the ultra sensitive and those who have difficulty understanding English, only an opinion and not fact.
So 1) it's ok for YOU to insult people but not vice versa, and 2) you say it's not fact but rather only opinion, but then you say that you say it is a fact based on the past 15 years. So which is it? Fact or opinion? I'm still waiting for that list.

Posted by ljay889 2012-11-22 22:02:12

So 1) it's ok for YOU to insult people but not vice versa

Bingo.

Posted by Kad 2012-11-22 22:27:38

While design awards are typically swept up in a major sweep, major sweeps like that aren't exactly common- and, in most cases, there are clear frontrunners... like every other category. I personally can't think of an egregious Best Costume Design award given out in the recent past.

Posted by undercoveractor 2012-11-22 22:27:47

Who needs reality TV for silly, ridiculous drama, when we have this thread. LOL. Yikes.

Posted by Visceral_Fella 2012-11-22 22:59:13

"Stay in the chorus."

@ljay889 Yesssssssss! ::snaps::

Posted by ljay889 2012-11-22 23:05:57

Posted by orangeskittles 2012-11-22 23:08:36

Does anyone else remember Cheyenne Jackson's All Shook Up wig?

Calm down, people. Things can change.

Posted by behindthescenes2 2012-11-22 23:11:31

oohhhhhh burrrrn..lol...you are way too serious..i don't have to justify myself or my opinion at all. There are sweeps, just look at the show The Producers? you might remember that..the featured star awards were unjustified considering Full Monty featured actors should have won...and costuming for that show was just copying the movie - nothing original there..just an example. 25 going on "i live for the theatre" life what will you do when you turn 30? hahahahaha. I do believe you started the whole insult business with calling me an idiot. I didn't state anything other than my opinion originally and never stated that if someone actually liked the costumes that they might just lack taste and the ability to discern what is good design and what isn't, and in fact i would not state it even though i might think it. You can wait on that list honey. I could provide it, but I won't and no amount of insults or you trying to goad me into doing it will make me and your mock outrage and indignation is funnier than you realize. :), and then after that just boring.

Posted by bjh2114 2012-11-22 23:51:47

oohhhhhh burrrrn..lol
Uh... what burn? Nothing I said was a burn. It was a request for proof.

i don't have to justify myself or my opinion at all
In fact, you DO if you want to be taken seriously.

There are sweeps, just look at the show The Producers? you might remember that..the featured star awards were unjustified considering Full Monty featured actors should have won...and costuming for that show was just copying the movie - nothing original there
OK so many things about this. 1) A SWEEP is different than a political win. A political win is someone winning for a reason that has nothing to do with the show or the show's reputation (for example Mike Nichols winning this year for Death of a Salesman). 2) I agree that Full Monty should have won the supporting actor awards, but we were talking about design awards here. Design awards aren't political. That was the original point. You have yet to address this fact. 3) The Producers winning Best Costumes (whether you agree with it or not) was heavily expected. It was nominated against Follies (whose costumes were awful), 42nd Street (whose costumes were fairly standard), and Rocky Horror (whose costumes were not only basic but also a copy of the movie/previous productions). The Producers winning wasn't an upset or undeserved by any stretch of the imagination.

25 going on "i live for the theatre" life what will you do when you turn 30? hahahahaha.
What does this even mean? It doesn't even make sense. For the record, I'm a teacher. I enjoy theatre as a hobby/pastime, but I hardly live for the theatre.

I do believe you started the whole insult business with calling me an idiot.
I didn't deny calling you an idiot first. I was just drawing attention to the fact that you're a hypocrite.

I didn't state anything other than my opinion originally and never stated that if someone actually liked the costumes that they might just lack taste and the ability to discern what is good design and what isn't, and in fact i would not state it even though i might think it.
Really? Because I'm pretty sure you implied that costume designers often win for reasons other than merit. And that's simply not true. I did not comment on your taste at all. I couldn't care less that you thought the costumes were ugly. They weren't my favorite by even a long shot. I was commenting on your sweeping comment about designers winning unjustly, which is just uninformed. Period.

You can wait on that list honey. I could provide it
Really? Could you? Because I'm pretty sure you couldn't.

but I won't and no amount of insults or you trying to goad me into doing it will make me
Yah, REALLY good save. Allow me to break out the eyeroll again. *eyeroll*

and your mock outrage and indignation is funnier than you realize.
Well I guess I'm Mr. Funny then. And I'm ok with that.

Posted by secondstar2theright 2012-11-23 00:52:47

I actually liked the godmother's dress/gown. Cinderella's dress however is a different story. There was no wow factor. And the fact that it was so white made me think of a really bad wedding dress. And the tiara, aside from looking quite weird, was so wiggly.

Posted by degrassifan 2012-11-23 03:19:44

Haha, it's all good zepka102! Happy Thanksgiving! Yeah, I figured it was probably the same picture book because that's exactly what I thought when I first saw the crowns.

It's also the show I'm looking forward to the most. I think it will do very well! As for the book CATS is referring to, there are videos and character descriptions online that pretty much tells us what the story will be about. The book is basically the Cinderella story but expanded with new characters (such as Jean-Michel) and new situations (Cinderella saving the prince, one stepsister being nicer than the other, etc). From the descriptions I've seen, it's pretty much a combination of the Perrault story, Ever After, Ella Enchanted, and Douglas Carter's Beane's imagination. I think it will be pretty awesome!

As for Cinderella's ballgown, I really like it. In most versions, her dress is either white (Disney's Cinderella, Julie Andrews, Lesley Ann Warren, Ever After, Hilary Duff's Cinderella, etc) or blue (Disney's Cinderella, Brandy, ABC's Once Upon a Time), so I'm not surprised her dress is white here. Plus, in an unused version of "In My Own Little Corner" reprise, Cinderella sings "I am dancing in the palace of all places. And, my gown is like a cloud of snowy white." So, maybe they added that back in?

Posted by TrulyOutrageousJem 2012-11-23 07:07:24

I thought the choreography and the performance was lovely and I am very excited for this production. I already have my tickets for previews. I actually thought the ensemble gowns were lovely and I liked Cinderella's gown as well. I had the same thought that the Fairy Godmother's dress looked like it was a cast off from The Little Mermaid, but I liked it. It was fun and ridiculous. I did NOT like the tiara's they were wearing. They looked like center pieces you could pick up from Party City plunked on their heads. They don't move well and are very distracting. Nor did I like the men in their generic black tuxedos... That doesn't seem very period to me and it seems a bit cheap. And Prince Charming needs a wig. That crazy messy supercuts curly hair is not Prince Charming. My family (who know nothing about theater but are going to see the revival with me) were really disappointed in the performance because they thought the costumes were so ugly. Hopefully the creative team is listening to this feedback because the average joe is going to be the crowd that sees Cinderella and if they hate the look they aren't going to waste their money. IMO - Prince Charming needs to be replaces and get rid of those tiaras NOW.

Posted by best12bars 2012-11-23 08:11:39

I'm glad the prince didn't look like a Ken Doll, or rival Cinderella in the "pretty" category. He was attractive and seemed to have great chemistry with Laura during their song. And they sounded terrific together, too.

I loved the Fairy Godmother's costume. All the layers and textures. It didn't bother me at all that she looked a bit washed out ... or ghostly ... or etherial. It works fine for the character.

As for the chorus and even the prince, they were all wearing the same black tux with tails. Maybe that's a "final decision," but it seemed to me like they just wore it for the parade. Also, we have no idea what the set and lighting would do to the scene. Together, they may work beautifully.

Of all the numbers I saw in the parade, this was by far my favorite.

Posted by mc1227 2012-11-23 08:35:56

I didn't mind the costumes that much. I actually loved the colors and the affect of movement when they were dancing. What did bother me was the "prince". This guy should be playing an accountant. They need a taller and better looking actor for this role. Aside from that, I am very excited about this production.

Posted by Wynbish 2012-11-23 08:42:37

I think Santino is definitely more than handsome enough. And his voice... I mean...

Anyways, I know people don't share my opinion, but perhaps this Prince is different enough in this new version to warrant casting against type.

Posted by uncageg 2012-11-23 09:20:45

It was better than I expected and piqued my interest in the show, which is what they were there to do. If my fairy godmother was Ms Clarke, I'd be a happy camper. The dress was different but fun. Really liked it after she moved around in it.

Posted by SamIAm2 2012-11-23 09:41:22

In my entire life, I have never seen a community so eager to devour its own young. I just don't get it.

Posted by behindthescenes2 2012-11-23 10:23:18

A sweep can be political whether you like it or not. Again, just a matter of opinion on this, designs that copy another designers costumes isn't really designing. It is hard not to believe that some sort of decision wasn't agreed upon to give the Producers all of the awards.

1. Who are you to demand anything from me? Nobody, so whether your decree of my being taken seriously or not decides if I am to be taken seriously is of no importance or of no gravity.

2. Your "eye-roll" and calling me a hypocrite - who cares?

3. Enjoy your hobby. I just hope your black and white world will help you find satisfaction in an all too-gray world.

Photos
Posted by macnyc 2012-11-23 10:24:54

Sorry for the poor quality, but you should be able to see enough of the costumes to get the drift.

Photos
Posted by macnyc 2012-11-23 10:25:51

Photos
Posted by macnyc 2012-11-23 10:26:42

Photos
Posted by Wynbish 2012-11-23 10:26:50

I like it, and it will move really well on stage

Photos
Posted by macnyc 2012-11-23 10:27:19

Photos
Posted by CurtainPullDowner 2012-11-23 10:37:10

I love the Osnes, but she needs to eat a sandwich.
Santino is much cuter than that pic, and Vicky's dress is ALL over the place.
(eating the young, and middle age too)

Photos
Posted by TheatreDiva90016 2012-11-23 11:20:36

After seeing these shots, I think the Godmothers dress needs a high collar. And that 'youthful' hair style is not doing her any favors.

And all of that pleating will be a bitch to maintain.

Photos
Posted by ajh 2012-11-23 11:43:16

Alot of this thread is hilarious! Who knew CINDERELLA of all things could be so divisive?!! Must say, I thought the clip was enchanting and made me really look forward to seeing the show in its entirety. Even got a bit teared-up...and yes I was sober. Had I been drunk my reaction would have been like at Billy Elliot or something..... :)

Photos
Posted by best12bars 2012-11-23 13:14:37

I love the fairy godmother costume. It looks like she was born out of a flutter of leaves or maybe an ocean full of seashells. Definitely "of nature," which I think is appealing and (for me) far more interesting that Vegas sequins. It can probably look very different under changes of light and color.

Cinderella's crown is reminiscent of John R. Neill's illustrations of Glinda or Princess Ozma in the original Oz books. Love that.

Photos
Posted by degrassifan 2012-11-23 13:35:51

Apparently, the musical will take place in a forest, and Marie (the fairy godmother) lives in the woods, which explains her costume. Plus, there was a video about the characters and it stated that Cinderella and Marie were in tune with nature.

Photos
Posted by Smaxie 2012-11-23 14:28:52

I had heard that lot of the costumes were pulled from various sources for the Parade appearance, as the show's costumes are not entirely built yet - which is not surprising for a show that doesn't begin performances for another two months. I wouldn't expect that any of the costumes - principals included - are finalized yet. Given all of that, I think it was a successfully put together sequence.

Photos
Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-11-23 14:47:43

I saw Ursula when I saw Victoria Clark, too. It's not really an insult. She just looked like she should playing Ursula.