Printer Friendly - Breaking News: SCANDALOUS Cancels Today's Matinee; Carolee Carmello on 'Brief' Vocal Rest

Breaking News: SCANDALOUS Cancels Today's Shows; Carmello on Vocal Rest
Posted by Rob 2012-11-14 10:21:16

Breaking News: SCANDALOUS Cancels Today's Matinee; Carolee Carmello on 'Brief' Vocal Rest
Posted by showchoirguy 2012-11-14 10:25:15

Is the score this demanding? Hoping for a speedy recovery for Carolee!

Breaking News: SCANDALOUS Cancels Today's Matinee; Carolee Carmello on 'Brief' Vocal Rest
Posted by Jordan Catalano 2012-11-14 10:37:52

She does havea lot of singing and yelling/preaching.

Posted by newintown 2012-11-14 10:42:10

It's ridiculous how much singing fortissimo at the top of her range she does in this show - it feels like she never stops. A clear symptom of ignorant/sadistic composers/arrangers.

Posted by egghumor 2012-11-14 11:53:35

The good news for Ms. Carmello is that she'll probably need to perform the show/sing the score only a few more times after the reviews come out. Then she can get LOTS of vocal rest.

Posted by Rob 2012-11-14 12:02:36

Update: http://broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-News-Update-SCANDALOUS-Cancels-Both-Wednesday-Shows-Carolee-Carmello-on-Vocal-Rest-20121114

Posted by eperkins 2012-11-14 12:05:22

Yes she sings EVERY! SONG! LIKE! THIS! I'm surprised she's lasted this long.

Posted by frogs_fan85 2012-11-14 12:18:07

I was supposed to go tonight... I'm not that upset about this.

Posted by Holster2 2012-11-14 12:18:40

"The good news for Ms. Carmello is that she'll probably need to perform the show/sing the score only a few more times after the reviews come out. Then she can get LOTS of vocal rest."

What a disgusting post. Do you not realize that if and when this show closes, a lot of people will be losing their jobs? Shame on you for making a joke about this. I don't care if this show is the worst thing to hit Broadway in years, which I highly doubt having seen Elling a couple years back.

Posted by Dangerous Jade 2012-11-14 12:25:16

I hope the show doesn't close Friday - would love to see it then.

Posted by Sauja 2012-11-14 12:31:30

Oh, calm down, Holster. The show is incredibly under-attended and the grosses are in the toilet. No one working on this show is likely to feel that they have job security right now, and I bet many of them are able to joke about it themselves.

Of course it's unfortunate when talented people end up out of work, but it's also just reality that isn't beyond the realm of potential humor.

Posted by egghumor 2012-11-14 13:05:59

Lordy! If I were making jokes about the victims of Hurricane Sandy or the suffering people of Darfur, I would certainly deserve such wrath, but this is COMMERCIAL theater where shows open and close on a very regular basis. Jeez, I worked on Broadway. The show closed after seven weeks and I moved on. Broadway is not sacred territory. Far from it, in fact.

From what folks are reporting, I doubt George Hearn is going to crying in the unemployment line. If anything, he'll likely feel liberated.

Posted by MimiJudith 2012-11-14 13:06:18

Could it possibly be that Carolee is not in need of vocal rest but that, instead, the show is still going through some final tweaks before tomorrow's opening or the show is actually not going to open at all?

Posted by frogs_fan85 2012-11-14 13:07:59

Tweaking the show now wouldn't affect the reviews as critics have probably already seen the show.

Posted by MimiJudith 2012-11-14 13:10:21

Ah, good point, frogs. So could it be that they are just not going to open the show at all? I don't know anything about what kind of vocal rest is needed, but I suspect that one day is not enough.

Posted by californiasnow 2012-11-14 13:25:16

Probably obvious question: Do the cast, crew, etc. still get paid for today's performances?

Posted by loliveve 2012-11-14 13:36:00

I'm surprised that they had shows scheduled for today with opening being tomorrow-- don't most shows have a day off prior to opening?

Posted by Bettyboy72 2012-11-14 13:42:21

Doesn't she have a Standby? This is very odd and very costly. I was hoping to see this today.

Posted by Baiseur82 2012-11-14 13:44:54

Bettyboy I was thinking the exact same thing! Why not have the understudy go on and NOT cancel 2 performances! Isn't this standard practice?

Posted by smallworld 2012-11-14 13:46:53

I'm wondering the same thing. With two understudies for the character of Aimee, I'd think (and hope) they'd be ready to go on in case of things like this... Wow. I really do wonder how much longer this show is going to last.

Posted by iluvtheatertrash 2012-11-14 14:23:25

There are surely critics who were supposed to attend today. IF she really is in need of a rest, I suspect that they didn't want to put an understudy on for the sake of critics, considering Carolee is the ONLY reason this show has a life.

Posted by FishermanBob 2012-11-14 14:31:18

As to why understudies did not go on...According to Playbill.com:

Playbill learned that understudies have not been rehearsed to a point of immediate readiness during the Broadway preview process, which began Oct. 13.

They open TOMORROW. Talk about amateur hour.

Posted by dreaming 2012-11-14 14:37:32

But for previews, much of the time is spent in rehearsals and re-working the material. Given the changes which supposedly have been made, I can imagine why the understudies may not have been prepared.

It appears that Carolee Carmello may get a longer break than she bargained for-although Kathie Lee Gifford has money and may be able to bankroll the show for a bit.

Posted by CurtainPullDowner 2012-11-14 14:39:38

Drunkie Lee should go on, book in hand. I would pay to see that!
She has to know the show, by now.

Posted by ucjrdude902 2012-11-14 14:49:50

A friend of a friend is in the ensemble. He's trying to get the scoop now.

Posted by tazber 2012-11-14 14:50:45

At this point not opening is probably the best thing they could do.

It would save everyone a lot of embarrassment.

As far as employment goes, I think it's been mentioned in just about every thread regarding show closings that it's just part of the job.

Posted by iluvtheatertrash 2012-11-14 14:51:56

We're hearing around my office (a news outlet) that it will not open. Obviously I can't confirm anything (or reveal my source for obvious reasons), so take this as you will.

Posted by ucjrdude902 2012-11-14 14:52:06

Being on Broadway is 50% performing and 50% finding the next job.

Posted by ljay889 2012-11-14 14:54:59

Wow, if it really doesn't open, I can't wait to see how Kathie Lee spins it on her show.

Posted by FishermanBob 2012-11-14 14:56:35

@dreaming, I can understand an understudy not being ready earlier in the preview run, but the day before opening, I would expect that at the very least, the understudy for the lead should be ready to go. It opens tomorrow and I doubt the understudy will magically become ready in the next 24 hours. Are they going to cancel performances every time a lead can't go on once the show opens? People from out of town spend money and make travel plans based on seeing a show. To not have understudies ready the day before opening strikes me as really bad form.

Posted by eperkins 2012-11-14 14:56:45

Interesting if it doesn't open. But if critics have already seen it - and I'm sure they have - they will surely review it anyway. So "not opening" will not save them from the poor reviews that are surely to come. Does anyone here know what they would gain by not officially opening?

Posted by FishermanBob 2012-11-14 15:02:07

Why would critics post a review if a show doesn't open? Isn't the whole point of their reviewing a show to tell the public what they thought so the public can decide whether to see it? If the show doesn't open, what's the point of reviewing it?

Posted by ucjrdude902 2012-11-14 15:03:39

Friend says, "As of now. Public knows what we know. There are whispers of course of what's happening. Rumors of us being Spidermaned, I'll let you know tho".

Posted by egghumor 2012-11-14 15:03:55

as far as I know... they gain nothing from not opening... tax breaks, etc., plus Carolee Carmello and company are likely to be spared, perhaps even praised.

Posted by eperkins 2012-11-14 15:07:01

I have certainly seen shows decide not to open (but keep running) so they don't get reviewed, but the critics post the reviews anyway. Perhaps if they do close down to "rework," a la Spiderman, critics will hold off. But I doubt they will hold off forever. KLG should give it up. Why pour more money into this at this stage?

Posted by wickedfan 2012-11-14 15:13:11

The difference between Spiderman and this is that the Spiderman producers kept postponing the opening weeks before, not the day before. Announcing a postponement now would do no good. Everything's been reserved (guest list, after party, press coverage) and most of it paid for, not to mention the critics have seen it and their reviews are being edited as we speak. As egghumor said, they gain nothing from not opening tomorrow.

Posted by Huss417 2012-11-14 15:18:09

They posted this on their Facebook page about an hour ago.

Scandalous on Broadway
TUNE IN ALERT! Tomorrow morning, the Today Show will get SCANDALOUS! We have a special surprise for you, that will air during the 8:00 AM hour.

Posted by dreaming 2012-11-14 15:19:25

Yeah, the surprise is that they're not opening.

Posted by Michael Bennett 2012-11-14 15:22:59

If an above the title star is injured and has to withdraw from the production, there is the possibility that insurance would cover the premature closing of the production. That's essentially what happened when Tommy Tune broke his foot and had to withdraw from 'Busker Alley.'

If the creative time wanted more time to fix the material, they could simply delay the opening. The only time that critics have reviewed a show in advance of an actual opening that I'm aware of are for SPIDERMAN and a 1970s musical called SARAVA, which both pushed the accepted boundaries of the preview period beyond anything credible (SPIDERMAN had 182 previews / SARAVA had 38 previews in a time when most shows opened after 3 or 4 previews). SCANDALOUS could easily push out previews by another couple of weeks if that were their perogative.

Regarding whether the papers would actually post reviews if the show were cancelled; my guess is that most of the major papers would not. Producers do sometimes know in advance what a review is going to be from certain publications, and I've known of a couple of instances in which the papers agreed not to publish negative reviews upon reviewing replacement casts, at the request of the producers.

Not sure if any of that is at play in this situation; but it does seem likely that both performances today would have been major press performances given tomorrow's opening night.

Posted by eperkins 2012-11-14 15:32:56

Last ditch effort? In all fairness, I'm going out on a limb here and say that KLG probably has no idea how bad the show is. She has worked on the material for so long and is so close to it, she has probably lost all perspective. And I'm sure none of her friends, family and co-workers are telling her anything different. She obviously believes in the material. So, in a way, I'm glad she is doing everything she can to promote the show. Better to go down fighting, n'est pas?

Posted by Playbilly 2012-11-14 15:44:02

Is Kathie Lee Gifford the Mitt Romney of Broadway? Denying the inevitable signs of defeat?

Posted by eperkins 2012-11-14 16:10:12

"There are none so blind as those who will not see."

Posted by SKAcasting1127 2012-11-14 16:22:20

I think Kathie Lee should go in as Aimee for tonights performance. Maybe, that is the surprise?....

Posted by dreaming 2012-11-14 16:25:32

For tomorrow, ska. I was thinking of that.

Posted by ljay889 2012-11-14 16:27:15

Hasn't Kathie said that there's no way she could handle this role?

Posted by dreaming 2012-11-14 16:28:53

Well, maybe she'll suddenly be able to handle it if ticket sales need a boost.

Posted by eperkins 2012-11-14 16:29:49

She did say that, but it might put people in the seats!

Posted by SKAcasting1127 2012-11-14 16:32:49

I was just being stupid....but....the show might sell out for one night to see that.

Posted by egghumor 2012-11-14 16:40:23

Kathie Lee to the rescue! She will now steer the Titanic safely ashore -- DAMN THE CRITICS Full Speed Ahead!(whether an empty house, or not!)

Posted by newintown 2012-11-14 16:41:36

That would be a gorgeous disaster of mythic proportions. Anyone lucky enough to attend could dine out on the story for the rest of their lives, like someone who actually saw Florence Foster Jenkins live.

Unfortunately, they would probably also be driven to put their eyes out and pour cement in their ears.

Posted by SKAcasting1127 2012-11-14 16:43:03

^^ HAHAHAHA! ^^

Posted by egghumor 2012-11-14 16:43:47

LOL x 10!

Posted by dreaming 2012-11-14 16:47:37

I dunno. I don't think it's such a silly proposition. I'm willing to bet people already think she's in it and aren't too pleased to find out she's not.

Posted by egghumor 2012-11-14 16:54:22

Very good point, I have to say, dreaming. DREAM ON! Lick my c---, Ben Brantley!

Posted by eperkins 2012-11-14 17:12:14

You guys are such scamps! And no, that wasn't a lyric from the show. I don't think. Could have been.

Posted by ClydeBarrow 2012-11-14 17:49:06

I'm just glad there is finally something scandalous about the show because the plot sure as hell isn't.

Posted by TheatreFan4 2012-11-14 20:34:26

What a disgusting post. Do you not realize that if and when this show closes, a lot of people will be losing their jobs? Shame on you for making a joke about this. I don't care if this show is the worst thing to hit Broadway in years, which I highly doubt having seen Elling a couple years back.

Using that logic restaurants that serve awful food, has an awful presence, and a not so nice staff shouldn't close because it'll put people out of work.

Posted by temms 2012-11-14 20:55:20

But what about jobs for the people who actually create the shows? Sure, actors and stagehands and musicians will all keep their jobs if a show runs, but what about the new directors and composers and lyricists and librettists and choreographers and orchestrators and marketers and sound designers and graphic designers and scene shops and costume shops and all those people who are employed when a new show comes in?

Why is it merely the people who do the show day-to-day whose jobs we should be concerned about? Do you think that only the shows that are open now are the only shows that should ever play Broadway, because otherwise people would "lose their jobs"? Why do you hate the people who actually create the shows so much that you wish for them to never have any work again?

Posted by Huss417 2012-11-15 08:11:44

Scandalous on Broadway
Tune in NOW to the Today Show for a SCANDALOUS surprise! It will happen during the 8:00 AM hour, so be sure you don't miss it!

Probably going to give away the empty seats in the Rear Mezz for tonight.

Posted by anmiller07 2012-11-15 08:20:09

I just went on ticketmaster to see exactly what seats they have left for tonight, which is supposed to be Opening Night and saw this little tid-bit, which I love...

SCANDALOUS is recommended for children at least eight-years-old. If your child is able to sit through a film in a movie theatre, they will enjoy seeing SCANDALOUS.

Posted by Huss417 2012-11-15 08:25:15

Last night when I looked there were a lot more open seats in the Rear Mezz then what is showing right now. I would say there was easily 50-100 more seats open.

Posted by KirbyCat 2012-11-15 08:59:37

So, what was this SCANDALOUS surprise?

Posted by Baiseur82 2012-11-15 09:16:07

Kirby I came here looking for the same news! Whatever it is I guess it's not that big because its not on here, playbill or even the Scandous Facebook page!

Posted by anmiller07 2012-11-15 09:23:26

Disappointing. They can't even do announcements right.

Posted by Mercades 2012-11-15 09:26:13

While all these conspiracy ideas are lovely, maybe juuust maybe Carolee was... VOCALLY TIRED. being in a rehearsal/preview process with press and constant changes and she's not the lead but the STAR and she has a family, might have taken a toll on her body?

I have no affiliation with the show before you all start thinking I'm Kathie Lee. I just think a bone can be thrown every once and a while . Jeez.

Posted by Huss417 2012-11-15 09:32:18

From reading the Facebook info it sounds like they did a behind the scenes segment.

Posted by TheaterBoy7777 2012-11-15 09:35:25

I was able to catch the today show segment. Hoda took a backstage tour, met some of the cast, and interviewed Kathie Lee. There was also show clips and Aimee history/clips but I didn't catch an announcement. It's interesting that future performances are not available on TDF.

Posted by tazber 2012-11-15 09:46:32

So is this mess opening tonight?

Is Carolee going on?

So many questions!

Posted by egghumor 2012-11-15 09:50:09

tazber, we're having great difficulty getting answers to these hard questions as Kathie Lee has announced she's on sympathy vocal rest.

Posted by NOB88 2012-11-15 10:10:27

Oh yes, it's opening.

KLG: "I hope it lasts forever and that it touches everyone's heart"

The best part was the almost naked guy in his dressing room.

Carolee seems like a really nice person.

KLG spent a lot of time thanking the Today Show cast for their support.

Posted by TheaterBoy7777 2012-11-15 10:17:44

They repeated the segment during the 10am hour

Posted by iluvtheatertrash 2012-11-15 10:25:22

Just tried to get rush, but was willing to spend up to $60 on a ticket, for tonight. They had nothing to sell me... But they did say it was open to the public. So, I'm not quite sure what that's about unless they papered the hell out of it.

Posted by little_sally 2012-11-15 10:37:37

She wants it to touch everyone's heart? I really feel like theres's nothing heartwarming about it. At least Leap of Faith had that going for it.

Posted by Huss417 2012-11-15 10:44:43

@iluvtheatertrash

Odd that they had nothing just pulled up row N in the mezz with a promo code for 42.00 and there are a few more seats up there as well. Last row Row U is 29.50 with promo code.

Posted by iluvtheatertrash 2012-11-15 11:24:07

How bizarre...

Posted by GleekOut 2012-11-15 12:29:18

Doesn't she have an understudy?

Posted by newintown 2012-11-15 12:33:36

She has two: Alison Luff and Billie Wildrick. Both are significantly younger than Carmello (and significantly younger than the character, except in early scenes). And given the ridiculous bulk of impossible material piled on top of Carmello, I would doubt that either could successfully step into the show ever.

Posted by runaways 2012-11-15 14:22:10

Alison Luff is Carolee's understudy? I'd see that--her voice is phenomenal.

Luff sang an awful song Kathie Lee wrote on the Today Show, but it was worth listening to just to hear her voice.

Posted by allamarane 2012-11-15 14:42:23

Billie Wildrick is pretty fantastic, too! But yes, significantly younger than Carolee.

Posted by oasisjeff 2012-11-15 16:12:29

A good Times Square dinner pairing for those going to see Scandalous:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/dining/reviews/restaurant-review-guys-american-kitchen-bar-in-times-square.html