Printer Friendly - Tear jerking moments in shows

Tear jerking moments in shows
Posted by Younger Brother 2012-11-04 17:29:48

(I believe there may have been a thread on this a while back, but I can't seem to find it so - )
What are some moments in shows that make you teary eyed? The Letter in The King and I and the Act 1 finale of South Pacific (or at least, LCT's production) are moments that always seems to get me. Also 'Till We Reach That Day from Ragtime

Posted by hushpuppy 2012-11-04 19:08:43

Yes, the KING AND I always gets me too. There was a lovely little musical, A CLASS ACT, that was steamrolled by all the publicity surrounding THE PRODUCERS, that featured a song, 'The Next Best Thing to Love', sung by Randi Graff, that destroyed me. Also, THE SUMMER OF '42 had a song in the second act, 'The Promise of the Morning' that always got me going. But then I get weepy at the finale of 'HELLO, DOLLY!' Sometimes I think if I'm not teary-eyed at some point in a musical, I'm not having a good time.

Posted by SNAFU 2012-11-04 19:12:51

In a well directed production, Quixote's Death to Cervante's call to face the Iquisistion is a major tear jerker!

Posted by Scarywarhol 2012-11-04 19:15:17

Much of the second act of Grey Gardens, for me.

And even though I loathed the production, watching Carrie leave in her prom dress in the recent revival got me.

Posted by pinoyidol2006 2012-11-04 19:18:56

Sarah's death in Ragtime.

Posted by SNAFU 2012-11-04 19:19:00

Scary, agree with Grey Gardens, from "Choose To Be Happy" to the end!

Posted by zepka102 2012-11-04 19:36:32

Marin Mazzie's Diana pretty much had me choked up for most of the second act of Next to Normal

Posted by jnb9872 2012-11-04 19:48:07

Speaking of Lincoln Center, WAR HORSE. Just, the whole damn thing, really.

Maybe I'm a bit of a psychopath, but I don't find myself tearing up when most audience members seem to. I find some moments gasp-worthy (the sudden mid-air silk dance in BRIEF ENCOUNTER), or breath-taking (a moment of such sadness like the "Who Knows Where the Time Goes?" sequence at the end of JERUSALEM last year), but choking up tends not to be my first impulse.

That said, besides WAR HORSE, I'll second (or third) the moment in RAGTIME between "President" and "Till We Reach That Day." The revival, with it staged such that Coalhouse streaked across each lever of the tiered stage and down every staircase while shrieking, was absolutely stunning in that moment. I also found myself choking up when I saw MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG and "Not a Day Goes By" was reprised in Act II, and then cursing Sondheim for making me choke up at such a horribly beautiful, fated-to-be-tragic happy moment. INTO THE WOODS, meanwhile, has a murderer's row of "No More" into "No One is Alone" into "Children Will Listen" at the finale that could draw tears to anyone's face.

Posted by Jim3 2012-11-04 19:52:08

The Scottsboro Boys cakewalk scene

Posted by michellek45 2012-11-04 19:54:23

The instrumental in Les Miserables after everyone's been killed at the barricades gets me every time. For some reason I didn't get teary during "'Til We Reach That Day," but I choked up during the finale when Mother calls Coalhouse, Jr. and he runs across the stage. Also the end of Shenandoah when Robert comes in during church service.

Posted by wicked4l 2012-11-04 20:06:41

Paul's monologue in "A Chorus Line"
Also
Depending on who's in the cast, Fiyero and Elphaba's dialogue about "beauty" and "looking at things another way" towards the end of the show.

Posted by OperaBwayLover 2012-11-04 20:34:28

"The Circle of Life" from Lion King got me both times I saw it.

Posted by Quiche2 2012-11-04 21:10:14

Defying Gravity from WICKED (Mostly final verse when Elphaba flies)

I Am Africa from BOOK OF MORMON

Beauty and the Beast from BEAUTY AND THE BEAST

Memory from CATS

Anytime any of my idols gives a curtain speech on their final performance of a show... Ex: I literally cried watching Nicole Parker (I think...may have been a different Elphaba) give a speech for Megan Hilty on her last WICKED performance.

Also I cried when Andrew Rannells left BOOK OF MORMON. No speeches or anything, but he cried on stage during "Tomorrow is a Latter Day" and he was holding a bouquet of roses for the curtain call, and hugged all of the other cast members. I forget which one, but one of the Elders starting bawling on stage.

Posted by little_sally 2012-11-04 21:14:35

You've all mentioned some great ones already but Sunday and Children and Art from Sunday always get me.

The end of Passing Strange (basically from the mother's death on) really hit me too.

Basically the end second half of the second act of Piazza as well.

Posted by quizking101 2012-11-04 21:25:54

In HIGH, when Kathleen Turner's character realizes she is no longer able to help the drug addict and that he is a lost cause, and just walks away with a blank face, leaving him to die in the alley.

The ending scenes of "Wit", after Dr. Bearing delivers her final monologue.

"True Colors" scene in PRISCILLA

The end of Act II in SOUTH PACIFIC

The ending of "Ghost"..."It's amazing, Molly. The love inside, you take it with you."

Posted by fingerlakessinger 2012-11-04 21:28:35

Passion-"Loving You"
Next to Normal- Almost entire end of Act 2
The King & I- The king's death
Man of La Mancha- His death
(lots of death lol)
The Secret Garden- "Where in the World" and "How Could I Ever Know?"
Titanic- "We'll Meet Tomorrow" "Finale"
Wicked- "Defying Gravity" "For Good" and "Finale" "I'm not that Girl" if done right
Chess- The moment when Florence realizes she was tricked
So many moments to choose from really.

Wow...I forgot Ghost...That entire thing had me in tears.

Posted by ashley77 2012-11-04 21:29:03

I went to see Next to Normal the first time without knowing what the show as about and myself and my three companions were gross sobbing before intermission

Posted by Broadwayboy2631 2012-11-04 21:36:07

The last ten minutes of Who's Afraid... always gets me.

Posted by justoldbill 2012-11-04 21:50:17

Many years ago, St Bart's in NYC did a brilliant production of ALLEGRO directed by Tom Briggs. As written, when Joe Jr. leaves his father's medical practice to move to Chicago, he (of course) takes his medical diploma with him. This particular production made a point of his taking along his shingle. Of course, the pay-off was at the end of the show when Joe Jr. returns home and re-hangs his shingle under his father's shingle, embracing his father to the chorus' full-out "One Foot, Other Foot", an amazingly powerful moment- one that still gets me when I think about it.

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-11-04 21:50:21

C.C: EFFIE, I HAVE A SONG AND ONLY YOU CAN SING IT THE WAY IT SHOULD BE
EFFIE: I'VE WAITED SO LONG TO HEAR YOU SAY THAT TO ME SAY IT AGAIN! SAY IT AGAIN!
C.C: EFFIE, SING MY SONG THE WAY IT SHOULD BE!

Posted by OKBroadwayFan 2012-11-04 21:55:46

Billy Elliot- Mum's Letter
Ghost-final scene

Posted by showchoirguy 2012-11-04 22:11:10

West Side Story- Tony's Death
Catch Me If You Can- Goodbye. Aaron Tviet was absolutely breathtaking! His emotion in the song was so real.
Newsies- Santa Fe. Jeremy Jordan and his belting. Also, the scene where Crutchie gets beaten.
Evita- Don't Cry for Me, Argentina, You Must Love Me, the ending of Dice are Rolling, and Lament. Cannot express my love enough. In the revival, I bawled from the end of Dice are Rolling until the end of Lament.
Porgy and Bess- Mostly because of Audra's Voice.
Ghost- With You and the Finale. Not an amazing show, but it hit right in the feels.
Carrie- The ending just gets you. The revival, of course.
Godspell- Finale. Breathtaking.
Next to Normal- In I Am the One/ You Don't Know, when Diana sings her You Don't Know towards Dan, I die.

Posted by justoldbill 2012-11-04 22:28:50

Almost every time New York is finally moved to the YEA column- can't be beat.

Posted by NYadgal 2012-11-04 22:31:14

Fable - The Light in the Piazza

Especially as performed by Victoria Clark.

Actually, the whole show. Brilliantly moving. I cried each and every time I saw it. It remains one of my most cherished Broadway memories.

Posted by sephyr 2012-11-04 22:49:27

Definitely Fable...when she gets to the "Look...look" part near the end and the piano is descending. It's...breathtaking.

I cried during Sister Act when the nuns came to sis. Mary Clarence's defense against the goons. It was a beautiful moment.

Rent, I'll Cover You Reprise gets me everytime. Your Eyes too.

Les Miserables, I Dreamed A Dream.

Not a show but in A Star Is Born (Barbra), With One More Look at You/Are You Watching Me Now always gets me. The heartbreak in her voice was epic.

Funny Girl's My Man is a heartbreaker too. Especially as sung by THE funny girl herself.

Into The Woods, Children Will Listen is a beautiful moment too.

Sunday in the Park With George, Move On definitely moves me. Especially the build up to "And the light...moving on...we do not belong together."

Posted by RENT_is_Wicked2 2012-11-04 23:23:16

Act 2 of Les Mis. "On My Own", "A Little Fall of Rain", the Barricade, and the finale to be exact. I cry like a baby EVERY TIME.

Also, "For Good" from Wicked

"Finding Wonderland" from Wonderland (Don't know why, it just happens)

Posted by uncageg 2012-11-04 23:30:35

When Princeton hugs Christmas Eve and says "I miss Nicky". Also the very last line of the show.

The last part of "Lot's Wife"

For Good

Bring Him Home

Posted by Kad 2012-11-05 00:04:55

"The I Love You Song" always gets me.

Posted by Idiot 2012-11-05 00:43:19

Les Miserables from about 15 minutes in, on.

Posted by JohnyBroadway 2012-11-05 00:52:54

The Lion King- I lose it everytime the giraffes make their entrance during circle of life.
Billy Elliot- Billy's final exit through the audience. Giuseppe Bausilio received a minor standing ovation during this moment when I saw the show on tour.
Mary Poppins- Spoon Full of Sugar Reprise, her final flight, and curtain call bow.

Posted by Mercades 2012-11-05 01:01:40

I'll cover you reprise. RENT.

Kills me .

Posted by allofmylife 2012-11-05 05:53:42

Any production of "Guys and Dolls" I choke up during "My Time of Day" which I think is the most beautiful melody I have ever heard and also whenever I hear the slow dance portion of "On Your Toes" which I think is the most evocative music of the 1930s, my favorite decade. I wake up with a smile on my face everyday knowing I'm working on a film set in that period.

Posted by Dr. Kitchell 2012-11-05 06:42:43

The final scene of "Camelot" gets me every time. From Guinevere's goodbye to the knighting of Tom of Warwick as the Offstage Chorus is singing the title song and Arthur is shouting "RUN".......I am a weepy mess.

Posted by Dr. Kitchell 2012-11-05 06:42:59

The final scene of "Camelot" gets me every time. From Guinevere's goodbye to the knighting of Tom of Warwick as the Offstage Chorus is singing the title song and Arthur is shouting "RUN".......I am a weepy mess.

Posted by Jon 2012-11-05 06:58:13

Earliest in a show: The Bishop giving Valjean the candelsticks in Les Miz.

Best Act I Finale tearjerker: The final tableaux of "Sunday" in SITPwG.

Most Melodramatic: Sweeney's "OH NO!" on discovering the identity of the Beggar Woman.

Shmaltziest: The end of The Fantasticks:
Fathers: "Look! They've come back! Leat's tear down the wall!"
Narrator: "No! Leave the wall. You must always leave the wall."
... folowed by reprise of Try to Remember.

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-11-05 08:04:51

So many scenes from FIDDLER, including the first and second act curtains and "Chavale".

Posted by winston89 2012-11-05 09:20:13

Typically for me, if I see something in a show that makes me tear up, and then revisit it I don't tear up again. I think that this is because part of what makes me tear up is the element of surprise that is lost when I revisit something.

However, there are two things that come to mind that made me tear up multiple times despite knowing that they were going to come.

Those two moments were Paul's Monolauge in A Chorus line as well as the final scene of Ghost.

Posted by doodlenyc 2012-11-05 09:32:15

The last time I remember crying at one moment in a show was the end of "Still" from Titanic.

Curtain calls can still choke me up.

Posted by AngelorPhantom1359 2012-11-05 09:38:42

We Do Not Belong Together - Sunday in the Park
No One Is Alone - Into the Woods
Finale of Les Miserables
Finale of Phantom of the Opera

Not quite a musical, but the last scene of End of the Rainbow had me in tears.

Posted by LizzieCurry 2012-11-05 09:39:35

Quiche2: I was also at Andrew Rannells' last performance, and oh man, that was a tear-fest. It was Rory O'Malley who was totally bawling on stage; I felt so bad for him since he was pretty much doing the same thing a few days earlier at Josh Gad's last performance.

To answer the OP's question, I didn't like Ragtime all that much and found myself surprised that I was tearing up at little Coalhouse's entrance!

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2012-11-05 09:40:27

The end of TITANIC gets me every time. Even just listening to the cast recording makes me tear up.

Posted by Wynbish 2012-11-05 10:13:06

Titanic, definitely. As soon as they come in with "We'll Meet Tomorrow", instant chills

Posted by Wilmingtom 2012-11-05 10:59:54

@justoldbill, I remember that production of ALLEGRO and that ending was a killer! The whole thing was remarkable for such a "troubled" show.

"Move On" invariably has me in tears.

Posted by ucjrdude902 2012-11-05 11:10:32

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it but if not I'd like to add LaChanze pouring her heart out with "I'm Here". I bawled.

Posted by singaboutlove 2012-11-05 11:45:55

Beautiful City from Godspell, the end of the second act of Next to Normal, and The I Love You Song in Spelling Bee all get me every single time.

Posted by Patti LuPone FANatic 2012-11-05 11:58:28

Marvin singing "What More Can I Say" from Falsettoland. Michael Rupert brings tears to my eyes as he sings about his lover Whizzer. There's a YouTube clip that I've seen. from RC in Austin, Texas

Posted by KBroadway232 2012-11-05 12:03:55

"ill cover you" reprise in rent
end of "if you were gay" Ave q
war scene and end of Cyrano de bergerac
Bess leaving in Porgy and bess

Posted by JBC2 2012-11-05 12:08:36

"Eiffel Tower" in The Blue Flower (as sung by Teal Wicks rather than the version on the CD, which was not a cast recording). The pain of Maria's loss was felt with every step she took up the stairway.

Posted by Buddy Plummer2 2012-11-05 19:50:14

Oh, where to begin:

In GYPSY (or the recent revival atleast), Gypsy beginning to laugh as Patti stares up at the ROSE sign, and bulb by bulb, it begins to fade

Pretty much all of the second act of ONCE, for sheer beauty of the staging, the music, and Cristin Milioti's heart-wrenching performance.

However, the sinlge moment that gets me every. single. time.: the Swan Lake ballet in BILLY ELLIOT. One of the most beautiful moments in theatre today. Period.

Posted by jayinchelsea 2012-11-05 23:26:37

Yes, the last performance and the final moments in the last revival of SITPWG, as the audience was screaming, we were all sobbing, as was Steve Sondheim across the aisle from us, and Daniel Evans, tears streaming down his face, holding up his hand to the audience to get out his final line (White, a blank page or canvas...)

Never to be forgotten.

Posted by strummergirl 2012-11-05 23:44:20

I cried during "Gold" in Once and pretty much lost it during the ending, though I agree a lot of the second half had me teary-eyed throughout, even as somebody who saw the film and knew what was going to happen.

I teared up in many parts of Billy Elliot though it has been a while to pick out a particular part except when Billy reads his letter for his mother.

A.LOT. of the Color Purple. Seriously, I prepared and was still unleashing buckets of tears.

I cried when George 'killed' Martha's son and all was revealed. I cried when Honey found out through George what Nick has said behind her back, the betrayal is so palpable.

Fiddler when Tevye feels betrayed by Chava being with Fyedka and when he says goodbye to Hodel when she leaves for Kiev.

Posted by timesboylive 2012-11-06 09:55:53

two words........ "Hi, Dad"

Posted by mpd4165 2012-11-06 14:22:12

Black Watch: The movement sequences, especially the letters from home and especially the end. I was just trying to keep in control.

In the Heights: Alabanza to the end of the show.

Next to Normal: Oddly lost it during There's a World, and was just done the rest of the show.

Sunday in the Park w/ Jason Danieley and Carmen Cusack: Beautiful and Children and Art to the end.

Metamorphoses: Saw it at Lookingglass weeks ago, still with me.

The end of The Color Purple, which I do with the movie as well.

Posted by MimiJudith 2012-11-06 15:20:08

"Another Winter in a Summer Town" from Grey Gardens. My eyes would burn with tears every time I watched Christine Ebersole sing that song.

Posted by ggersten 2012-11-06 16:02:40

Light in Next to Normal.
Chava-Tevye confrontation and then at the end.
But, Kim's suicide is the big tear producer. Between the music and the lyrics and....I need to go get a kleenex.

And then of course there's that story about the producer watching the opening of Annie crying at the end twice: first because it was a wonderful show and second because he realized he had no money invested in it.

Posted by rja16 2012-11-06 16:39:18

In The Heights- From when abuela claudia dies to the end

Posted by Eponine3 2012-11-07 10:50:10

I am currently playing "Chava" in a production of "Fiddler".. I was almost overwhelmed when we started to work on the "Chavaleh" scene where Tevye rejects Chava. I have come to really embrace that moment.. it is so powerful.

Posted by AC126748 2012-11-07 10:56:13

WIT. Helen Stenborg reading The Runaway Bunny to Kathleen Chalfant. Just thinking about it puts me on the verge of tears.

Posted by scripps 2012-11-07 21:45:16

JOURNEY'S END. Saw it four times and like everyone else sitting in that sparsely filled theatre (a crime), completely lost it at the end.

CYRANO. The finale.

SITPWG. Move On.

SOUTH PACIFIC. This Nearly Was Mine and the finale.

But my favorite would have to be BILLY ELLIOT. I walked in, expecting the show to be nowhere near as good as my friends in London were proclaiming it. I was turned off my the cast recording, the preview audience surveys and the $140 top ticket price on weekends. I bought a ticket in the rear mezz, just to say I saw it and then "Solidarity" happened, and then the "Letter Song," then the "Angry Dance," and then all of act two. Even Michael's big number brought tears to my eyes. I couldn't believe how wrong I was. I love those moments in theatre.

Posted by CapnHook 2012-11-07 22:25:58

Sadly, overexposure to theatre has made me very difficult to be emotionally moved. However, in those rare productions where the execution of lyric, music, staging, timing, and design all blend into such a moment, I do find myself coming to tears every now and then. No show has executed such a moment as NEXT TO NORMAL.

NEXT TO NORMAL:

NATALIE: "Dad? What the hell, why are all the lights off? Where's Mom?"

DAN: "She's...gone."

NATALIE: "Oh. So it's just you and me now, huh?"

All this and into the song "LIGHT" then until the the final WHITEOUT. SOBBING.

AIDA:
Second to last scene, where Aida and Radames are in the tomb, and the black borders box them in.

COMPANY:
Towards the end of "Being Alive" I become breathless and tears stream.

RENT:
"I'll Cover You (Reprise)" makes me lose it.

Posted by Patti LuPone FANatic 2012-11-07 22:38:59

What More Can I Say? from Falsettos. Poignant. from RC in Austin, TExas

Posted by ucjrdude902 2012-11-07 22:44:29

My first Broadway show, Hairspray. Darlene Love "I Know Where I've Been".

Posted by Fan123 2012-11-08 08:15:21

The Most Happy Fella - when Tony sings the final version of 'I Don't Know Nothing About You' to Rosabella.

Billy Elliot, again - first hearing the line "we will always stand together" in the opening number, with the foreknowledge of how things would end. Also when Billy's dad's workmates give him money.