Printer Friendly - The Stephen Sondheim Theatre

The Stephen Sondheim Theatre
Posted by fashionguru_23 2012-10-31 00:32:01

Does anyone know what is going on with the theatre? Are there any shows lined up? I would have thought Drood would have went in there, but it went to Studio 54.

Posted by Quiche2 2012-10-31 00:50:50

No, Drood did not take that theater.

Posted by lupone76 2012-10-31 01:01:57

The next revival of Gypsy will be coming in. It will have a rotatng madame Rose. Alternating between Patti, Bernadette, Betty and Tyne.

Posted by fashionguru_23 2012-10-31 01:29:16

Is it Gypsy or Patti Lupone Gypsy?

Posted by iWannaBEaSedaris 2012-10-31 13:49:19

Why would anyone want to stage anything in this excuse for a theatrical space? It has all the charm of a mobile home, and is half as stylish. The theatre's biggest and best feature is it's women's bathroom. It's such a shame that there was a chance to create another wonderful home for modern Broadway musicals, and what we got was a highschool auditorium in the basement of a New York City high rise.

If I was the architect, I'd be ashamed. If I was Roundabout, I'd use it for High School theatre programs to come and put on smashing productions of The Music Man and Hello Dolly while their parents sell home baked good at concessions and the football team throws popcorn from the balcony.

Posted by artscallion 2012-10-31 13:55:12

iWannaBEaSedaris doesn't like it.

Posted by aasjb4ever 2012-10-31 14:05:11

…I like the theatre…

Posted by TheatreKid3 2012-10-31 15:29:10

Count me in with the people who don't understand the hate for this theatre's design. The one time I was inside it, I thought it looked great. I think many are just hating the concept of modern theatre design in general. I also don't understand the hate for the Marquis.

Posted by qolbinau 2012-10-31 15:33:03

I agree. I like the Marquis, and I like the Sondheim. If these are so bad, can anyone give an example of a 'good' 'new' theatre?

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-10-31 15:40:59

You should be ashamed!

Posted by qolbinau 2012-10-31 15:47:21

Also adding to this, perhaps it's a product of my generation, but sometimes I think old theatres might be more a detraction than a benefit.

Now, don't get me wrong, sometimes an old theatre can create a really nice atmosphere (e.g. I wouldn't have wanted to move NIGHT MUSIC from the Walter Kerr).

But (here a photo from a popular local theatre), do I really want to be seeing something like this when I am watching WICKED? I feel the reflection of light from the artefacts can just be a distraction at worst, or unnecessary at best.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2012-10-31 15:48:22

The design of the theater makes whatever is onstage completely unwatchable which is sad since sometimes there are good things there but they are surrounded by ugly things that take you away from a production you're trying to watch and it's like you're trying to concentrate on your boyfriend having sex with you but you can't get Richard Grieco (80's/early 90's Richard Grieco, not the lizard he's turned himself into) out of your head.

Posted by RippedMan 2012-11-01 01:28:17

For me, I'm an actor, and I think being in a theater - for me - is a very spiritual experience. I love hanging out before the show and seeing all the details in the house and knowing the history of the space, etc. It's tough with a modern theater because usually no money was spent on design. It's just a boring black space. The Sondheim is ugly on the inside. I don't like the layout or the design or the use of the Henry Miller's old pieces. It just looks thrown together and cheap. And the marquee outside is sooooo freaking tiny.

Posted by forgetmenotnyc 2012-11-01 13:31:17

I love theater design, as well - but have never been led to find the Sondheim Theater necessarily UNappealing? (I suppose I have only been there twice.) It's unusual that it's subterranean - with orch. at the lowest level. The back of the balcony is close to the stage though - so that is a positive in terms of contemporary theaters. About the only thing I agree to on most opinions here is the poor Henry Miller/Sondheim theater street presence. The facade is landmarked so that maybe why more hasn't been done to expand signage somewhat?

The 1st Bway theater that I was ever in was the Gershwin (then called The Uris) & it was a huge disappointment to me. Thankfully I got myself into a beautiful old jewel box space the next day & it squashed my disillusionment.

The question posed here earlier "Name a contemporary Bway theater that you do like?" is a good one? Here are the 7:

Sondheim (even though utilizing a little of the old Henry Miller Theater, we can safely call it a new contemp. theater rather than a restoration, right?;

Circle in the Sq.;

Foxwoods;

Gershwin;

Marquis;

Minskoff;

Vivien Beaumont.

(The Friedman would be considered more of a restoration than a contemp. theater, right?)

So, are some of us bemoaning the lack of historical character in our beloved industries newer spaces that are not antique? Or, after pondering the specific list, is the consensus that Sondheim theater is the worst of the contemporary ones? I say not. I even say it's one of the best of these.

Posted by JRybka1611 2012-11-01 13:37:47

can someone post some pictures so we can see why people had it so much.

Posted by forgetmenotnyc 2012-11-01 13:45:40

You can find a few pics on the site of the architectural firm who handled the redo at http://www.cookfox.com/project.php?id=Stephen-Sondheim-Theater