Printer Friendly - All-Black STEEL MAGNOLIAS Film In The Works

All-Black STEEL MAGNOLIAS Film In The Works
Posted by Jordan Catalano 2011-10-11 16:18:04

http://broadwayworld.com/article/Kenny-Leon-to-Direct-STEEL-MAGNOLIAS-Remake-Featuring-All-Black-Cast-20111011

WHAT. A. STUPID. F'IN. IDEA. What's the point?? The original film is (in it's own way) iconic so why remake it (with an all-this or and all-that cast or anything)? Hey Kenny, if you want a film to showcase the talents of 7 talented black actresses, how about WRITING SOMETHING ORIGINAL?

Posted by Gothampc 2011-10-11 17:57:56

M'Lynn - Viola Davis
Truvy - Loretta Devine
Ouiser - Whoopi Goldberg
Clairee - Phylicia Rashad
Shelby - Anika Noni Rose
Annelle - Erica Hubbard

Posted by AC126748 2011-10-11 18:00:07

While I agree with Jordan that I'd rather see six talented women of color in a new work, Goth's cast isn't half bad.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2011-10-11 18:01:52

That cast is like FOR COLORED GIRLS 2: WHEN THE MAGNOLIAS AREN'T STEEL ENUF

Posted by themysteriousgrowl 2011-10-11 18:27:50

All I know is black people DEFINITELY don't talk like that in the South. You can take that to the bank.

Posted by somethingwicked 2011-10-11 18:43:35

Remember that this is a television movie for Lifetime, not a feature film.

While most of the (well cast) women on your list are very much within the realm of possibility, Gothampc, I don't see Viola Davis being one of them, as phenomenal as she'd be.

Posted by E.Davis 2011-10-11 18:43:47

As much as I think this an interesting idea, they original is too iconic.

Posted by Bettyboy72 2011-10-11 18:44:08

WTF? What's with all the remakes? Aren't there any talented god d@#ned writers in the universe. Write some new s@#t!

This movie is a legend. LEAVE IT ALONE!

NO!!!!!

Posted by ChiChi 2011-10-11 21:34:46

I have to agree. I get really sick of "An all THIS cast" or "And all THIS cast." If they REALLY have to do this, I think it would be a nice change if it was a mix of ethnicities. Doing it the other way is just so segregating.

Posted by SNAFU 2011-10-11 21:50:59

It is not that there aren't original writers out there with new stuff , the problem is the Producers. They want to be sure to spend money on things they know people will identify with and not lose money. Even made for TV movies are as expensive as hell to make and the money people don't want to lose cash.

Posted by Bettyboy72 2011-10-11 22:21:11

Well producers are morons then. Dont they realize that people will go see new works if they are brilliant and well produced. Find fresh talent and make new things happen. Its the same thing they do on Broadway-mounting known quantity titles, most of which end up failing.

Most of these remakes dont make that much money.

Posted by Donthatecongratulate 2011-10-11 22:25:38

it was bad with white people, and it's going to be bad with black people.

Posted by Play Esq. 2011-10-11 22:40:56

This could work.

Capitalized histrionic statements aside, I for one think a great cast could make this a worthwhile project.

Goth: I would see your cast, in anyway shape or form, in a heartbeat.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2011-10-11 22:48:03

I'll totally watch it. I mean, I own the dvd and all, and I totally queened out over it when it came out when I was in ninth grade, but I really don't look at it as some sacrosanct piece of art. Also, years later when I was watching the the movie and its special features on the dvd, the whole affair started to seem a little mawkish to me. I know he based it on his sister and all, but it just seemed like overkill to know they shot the movie in the actual hospital where she died and had actual nurses who had been there as extras and stuff. Shelby's life seems a lot less romantic to me now and just a lot more foolish and deliberately wasted.

But I will say that the thought of Loretta Devine as Truvy could make me queen out like I did when I was 14.

Also, I was in an all-male production once, and there's just no taking it seriously after that.

Oh! Paula Patton as Shelby! That's my vote.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2011-10-11 23:09:24

Let's not forget this is a tv movie. So...think "TV Stars". Keisha Knight-Pullliman as Shelby, Marla Gibbs as M'Lynn and Jackee as Ouiser.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2011-10-11 23:12:47

Two seconds ago, a friend of mine also suggested Jackee. Maybe as Clairee? Loretta Devine still works for a tv movie. And I think Paula Patton would come cheap.

And I don't know if you are kidding or not about Keisha Knight-Pullium, but she'd be great! Have you seen her? She grew up redonkulously beautiful.

I think Marla Gibbs would be a better Ouiser. I think Angela Basset would be a good M'Lynn. I'm sure she'd do tv.

Haters gonna hate, but I want this to happen so bad.

Posted by undercoveractor 2011-10-11 23:24:38

Just my opinion, but I am tired of seeing 'all black casts' of shows originally conceived differently. The fantastic actresses discussed in this thread should absolutely be working and working in material up to their talents, but just adapting material to fit a specific race does not work for me. My personal feeling is that if you want to feature a group of actors of one race, or speak to a specific racial experience then WRITE A NEW PIECE THAT SPEAKS TO THAT!

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2011-10-11 23:28:00

Keisha did grow up VERY well. Even as a crack ho in MADEA GOES TO JAIL, she was beautiful.

An I would like to hear Jackee say "Ouiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiser"

Posted by Play Esq. 2011-10-11 23:38:17

Why? Why not just use that same piece?

This ain't Shakespeare...oh wait, there too reversed casting is used (read: not just color-blind). And seriously: if you don't like it, don't watch it. Will I be seeing this season's "Streetcar"? Proabably not, unless I read something worthwhile about the production. Did I enjoy some of the performances in the recent ""Cat on A Hot Tin Roof"? Yes.

The point: you have a choice. It's F'in LIFETIME for crying out loud! Get me a good cast, and I'm there. Otherwise, I won't waste the time finding the channel. (My choice.)

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2011-10-12 00:35:13

I feel like this being Lifetime, Jill Scott may wind up making an appearance.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2011-10-12 00:38:38

And Meredith Baxter in blackface.

Posted by dreaming 2011-10-12 10:43:41

Does anyone else think Oprah might be tapped for one of the roles? (Truvy?)

Posted by blacktie 2011-10-12 10:57:14

M'Lynn Eatenton (Phylicia Rashad/Angela Bassett/Oprah Winfrey/Lynn Whitfield/ Sheryl Lee Ralph)

Truvy Jones (Jackee Harry/Jenifer Lewis/Niecy Nash/Regina King/Taraji P. Henson)

Ouiser Boudreaux (Jenifer Lewis/ Anna Deavere Smith/ C. C. H. Pounder)

Annelle Dupuy –Desoto (Tasha Smith/Paula Jai Parker/Paula Patton)

Clairee Belcher (Phylicia Rashad)

Shelby Eatenton Latcherie (Patina Miller/Montego Glover/Brandy Norwood/Tamera Mowry/Keisha Knight Pulliam)

Drum Eatenton (Delroy Lindo/Glynn Turman/Danny Glover)

Spud Jones (Mykelti Williamson/Rockmond Dunbar)

Jackson Latcherie (RonReaco Lee/Keith Robinson/Derek Luke/Cory Hardrict)

Posted by SonofRobbieJ 2011-10-12 11:11:14

Considering the first film is kinda terrible, I'm all for trying anything that might make this story the least bit interesting.

I have never...NOT ONCE...been moved by this story. Maybe an all-black cast might change that. I like to cry over black women, so here's to hoping.

Posted by Gothampc 2011-10-12 11:30:56

Fun trivia fact: Steel Magnolias has already been on tv. They tried to do a Steel Magnolias tv series. Elaine Stritch was Ouiser, Cindy Williams was M'Lynn, Sally Kirkland was Truvy, Polly Bergen was Clairee. I remember seeing the pilot episode and thought it was horrible.

I think some of you don't like the show because the movie was mediocre. (Sorry, but Julia Roberts can't act. And I remember thinking her epileptic and Sally's "Drink your juice, Shelby" were funny when they shouldn't have been.)

The show works very well onstage when you have wonderful actresses.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2011-10-12 11:37:36

"Sorry, but Julia Roberts can't act"

Was that something you came up with on your own or did Fox news do a piece on that so it's now what you believe?

And if I didn't despise you enough before as the insignificant miniscule maggot puss filled scum feeding off the lowest form of shlt on the planet, I hate you even more now.

Posted by julesboogie 2011-10-12 11:42:04

Im sure black people are just as tired of all white casts of everything as you are of the handful of things that have been done this way. Its so easy to say "Write something new!" Its alot harder to get something new + all black produced. Or have you noticed any all black (majority black or heck even equally black), harry potters or twilights? Please forward the links if you have.

Maybe if we get some good all black casts of something that sells... there will be some new stuff written. How about going along for the ride!

Posted by AC126748 2011-10-12 11:48:48

Maybe if we get some good all black casts of something that sells... there will be some new stuff written.

Well, there's already interest in projects with all/majority black casts if this is being produced. It doesn't seem that far off to question the decision to do an all-black version of an old play rather than commissioning something new. But STEEL MAGNOLIAS is a play where race doesn't matter--it makes no difference whether the characters are all white, all black, or a mixture of both. So it might be good in that way.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2011-10-12 11:49:27

Jules, I think that's a load of crap, for the most part.

These "all-whatever" productions are based purely on the casts they're able to assemble which, for the most part, would sell if it was a revival of a typically white, asian, black, indian, whatever play as it would as a new work. I'm talking theater here, but I'm sure that the cast Leon will get for this Lifetime Original Movie (three always scary words) will be a big enough draw to get viewers to tune in regardless of what the movie actually is.

"Her Magnolias Were Too Steel: A Mothers Courage" premiering in March, only on Lifetime following an all new "After the Runway".

Posted by julesboogie 2011-10-12 11:56:34

But youre talking about the difference between the black audience tuning in and the black audience plus everyone else. Susan Q Housewife is not tuning in to life time to see Loretta Divine. She'd be tuning in to see Steel Magnolias with a twist. Its a gimmick...but hopefully the gimmick will make way for other projects.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2011-10-12 12:01:54

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2011-10-12 12:03:53

How do you know? That's a fairly racist argument you're making saying that the average person won't tune in to see black actors, only recognizable works. My mother is a white woman in her late 50's who will watch anything Phylicia Rashad, Loretta Devine, Alfre Woodard, Kimberly Elise (after her amazing TV Film THE LORETTA CLAIROBNE STORY), Halle Berry, Angela Bassett and a whole list of other black actresses do, and not because she knows the work, but because she likes the actors. She also watches Lifetime religiously, so that'll help.

Posted by SonofRobbieJ 2011-10-12 12:12:23

Really, Jordan?

Your mother sat through Catwoman?

I call Bull****...for the sake of your mother's good name.

Posted by julesboogie 2011-10-12 12:13:25

the racist card already. Um keep in mind im arguing FOR this movie and everyone watching it.

You can look at the movies, plays, musicals, and any other form of media we have. If all black anythings were as lucrative as the twilights and such. Dont you think we'd see more? And more new things? People will make what sells, what makes the most, and what reaches the masses. While loretta mat be reaching your mom, she aint reaching the masses...as brilliant as she is.

And your mother must be awesome and forward. But she is definitely not the norm.

Posted by julesboogie 2011-10-12 12:14:18

CATWOMAN was a mess.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2011-10-12 12:19:42

"But youre talking about the difference between the black audience tuning in and the black audience plus everyone else"

Yes, I'm calling that statement racist. And saying "Youre pulling the race card already" doesn't make what you said NOT a racist statement. You're implying that "everyone else" will not watch black actors.

And yes, CATWOMAN was not a great film. But like GIGLI, it's a movie that's become fun to make fun of and call a total waste because the critics hated it (some of which hadn't even seen them), when in reality neither of them weren't half as bad as they're made out to be.

Posted by SonofRobbieJ 2011-10-12 12:32:40

I don't think that statement is in the least racist. I actually think there's a point to it. There are generally two types of genres: black films aimed squarely at the black audience (think much of Tyler Perry's output) and black films aimed at a more diverse audience (think The Help, The Color Purple, etc.) Now, of course, there is overlap. There are white people that enjoy a good Tyler Perry vehicle. But one can't deny that this dichotomy plays out in the marketplace. What I find fascinating is that the black films aimed at black audiences tend to deal with contemporary issues, while black films aimed at white and black audiences deal with historical periods where the tension between whites and blacks was...let's just say 'high.'

The thing I find interesting about a black Steel Magnolias is that it may find a crossover appeal that doesn't really have anything to do with 'racial issues.' And, unlike Precious, which was unrelentingly dour and brutal, Steel Magnolias is generally upbeat...even with the dead daughter.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2011-10-12 12:47:43

Right, but we're talking about a frickin' Lifetime movie here. Not a BET original movie or a film that will only play the small underground black film festivals. This is a movie that will be targeted to every color woman on that channel.

Posted by SonofRobbieJ 2011-10-12 12:53:16

Right. That was kind of my point. Now I'm confused by what you're arguing.

Posted by julesboogie 2011-10-12 12:57:22

Call it what ever you want Jordan. I never once stated that everyone who isnt black wouldn't tune in. I said Susan Q Housewife (the target audience of Lifetime) isnt tuning in BECAUSE its Loretta Divine. Shes tuning in to see Steel magnolias and while she is there she will recognize that Viola Davis is amazing. Oh and hey isnt she in a movie right now. Maybe ill go see that too.

Back to topic. Youre ignoring the point. Why do we not have a blockbusters like Twilight featuring a majority black cast? If that is what people are running to see dont you think greedy people in Hollywood would be tripping over themselves to make it? These all black or all anything casts are gateways to spoon feeding to the masses what the rest of us all ready know.

More all black cast please.

2 and a Half Black men
2 Broke black Girls
The Game of Black Thrones

More asian stuff

Asians in the Outfield
Throw Asian Mama from the train

and so on and so forth.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2011-10-12 13:00:17

I'm confused too. My mind is a little all over the place right now.

I took the above post as saying that a white audience won't watch a film with all black actors/actresses when I was saying I think that's simply not true. Granted, I find these "all whatever" casts of things a little racist on their own, but that's another story.

My point was that THIS particular film is a Lifetime movie that's going to appeal to pretty much any woman or gay man of any color since that's who it will be targeted to.

Posted by SonofRobbieJ 2011-10-12 13:05:43

I don't have a problem with all-black casts, in general...but for this pieces, I actually think it could add something that I always feel is missing from the text. I don't know what that something is...maybe I'm wrong. But I'm excited to see it.

And yes...my point was that, in general, contemporaneously set black films seems to be aimed squarely at the black demographic. This film (with it's familiar title and the strong emotions stirred up by it) will be a contemporary black film that doesn't deal with racial tensions that is aimed at the broadest demographic possible. And I find that noteworthy...and kinda praiseworthy.

Posted by sarcadam88 2011-10-12 13:16:52

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388500/

Posted by julesboogie 2011-10-12 13:29:42

"My point was that THIS particular film is a Lifetime movie that's going to appeal to pretty much any woman or gay man of any color since that's who it will be targeted to."

Um yeah. Thats what i was getting at. All for very different and specific reasons. The outcome being (hopefully) that more projects can be greenlit.

Posted by jimmycurry01 2011-10-12 13:36:55

I don't know that I would call the original film iconic. The Wizard of Oz is iconic, The Sound of Music, even A Christmas Story I would call iconic. Steel Magnolias was a good 80's chick flick with bad 80's hair. I love it for what it is, and doubt a TV remake will hurt it.
As for the all black casting, I don't think it is a big deal. We know the source material, we know that the source material can cater to everyone, the race of the actors in this case won't make much of a difference. Being on Lifetime, this is catering to all women (and gay men). I am not expecting this to be a Tyler Perry flick, with comedy that goes over my head because I am in the wrong demographic, its just another decent chick flick.

Posted by Gothampc 2011-10-12 13:59:56

"And if I didn't despise you enough before as the insignificant miniscule maggot puss filled scum feeding off the lowest form of shlt on the planet, I hate you even more now."

I didn't know Julia Roberts read this board. I guess she became interested in Broadway when she did Three Days of Rain and just continued posting here.

Hey Jules, when you get to the level of acting of your contemporaries like Kyra Sedgwick let me know.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2011-10-12 14:11:48

God, you're stupid.

Posted by Roscoe 2011-10-12 14:51:46

When I saw this announcement, I was afraid that it was being done by Tyler Perry, with Madea as Ouiser Boudreaux.

And I'm sure that Perry is smashing his head against the wall at not having had the idea to do exactly that.

Posted by julesboogie 2011-10-12 15:05:53

"Hey Jules, when you get to the level of acting of your contemporaries like Kyra Sedgwick let me know."

I dont know what else to gleam from that except that you think im a middle aged white woman. Was there anything else?

Jordan was that stupid comment for me?

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2011-10-12 15:10:53

Goth wasn't talking about you, he was referring to me being Julia Roberts and calling me "Jules" instead of Julia. He truly is one of the stupidest people you'd ever come in contact with.

Posted by julesboogie 2011-10-12 16:31:53

ah thx for the clarification

Posted by crewdude 2011-10-13 17:39:51

"(Sorry, but Julia Roberts can't act. And I remember thinking her epileptic and Sally's "Drink your juice, Shelby" were funny when they shouldn't have been.)

I won't get in to a discussion of Ms. Roberts' acting chops. BUT you should know that Shelby is not epileptic. Shelby was diabetic. You don't get a kidney transplant for epilepsy.

Posted by Freedomme 2011-10-13 19:25:47

Ummm, did anybody clear this with Sondheim?

Posted by stone_blue 2011-10-13 22:47:04

@crewdude yup, you also don't treat epilepsy with juice. that comment was making me twitch...which now strikes me as an unfortunate colloquialism in this context.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2011-10-13 23:17:11

Posted by Starcarolina 2011-10-13 23:19:08

Uh,oh....

Posted by Gothampc 2011-10-14 12:53:13

"BUT you should know that Shelby is not epileptic. Shelby was diabetic."

Sorry you are right. But I still think that her performance borders on the comic as PRS's picture indicates. I saw this show originally off-Broadway and I don't remember it being unintentionally funny.

Posted by uncageg 2011-10-14 12:59:49

I won't be spending money to see this in the theater. I may rent it from Netflix. I agree, leave it alone. The original is iconic. Take some good black actors and maybe try for something original that may become an iconic picture.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2011-10-14 13:05:21

It's gonna be on Lifetime, baby! You won't even need to leave the house!

I'm still down with this. I really hope it happens!

Posted by SonofRobbieJ 2011-10-14 14:12:57

I grant that the films is iconic. But it still isn't good.

Maybe the black actresses can make this material work better than the miscast originals.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2011-10-14 14:23:19

What if the original cast did it in blackface?

Posted by SonofRobbieJ 2011-10-14 14:33:10

I'm there.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2011-10-14 14:37:01

They'd also have to dress in Solid Gold-esque clothes and say things like "jive turkey" and "Honkey" all throughout.

Posted by themysteriousgrowl 2011-10-14 14:48:31

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2011-10-14 14:50:01

And instead of a seizure, Shelby does the moonwalk.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2011-10-14 14:51:34

I wish it was on today!

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2011-10-14 14:54:43

And Jonah Hill (in drag AND blackface) must play Annelle.

Posted by Patash 2011-10-14 15:18:55

Not to hijack this thread, but has anyone yet found out the cast of the all white remake of A Raisin in the Sun?

Posted by doodlenyc 2011-10-14 15:20:14

"Annelle, I'm trippin'!"

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2011-10-14 15:27:04

How can a script that often sounds like it was written by cribbing slogans off the buttons pinned to an eighth-grade girl's purse NOT be considered a classic?

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2011-10-14 15:48:21

If you don't have anything nice to say, come join the republican party!

Posted by ChiChi 2011-10-14 22:49:56

I think it's funny how many people are dissing the original movie. I remember people talking about how awful the revival cast was on Broadway compared to the movie cast.

Posted by My Oh My 2011-10-15 00:44:35

I rented the film a long time ago on a whim and, yes, it did make me whimper and sob like a babe without its mother. I loved that it made me sob 'n laugh at the same time when they were at the cemetery and the Olympia Dukakis character grabbed MacClaine and said, "Here! Hit Ouiser!!!!" I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it as I was initially resistant to watching it and my gut feelings are rarely THAT wrong, LOL.

The all-black/purple/yellow/pink/lavender/tri-color thing can be irritating, especially when it's obvious it's a gimmick, but this sounds great. One of the things that, apart from the moving tale, is a feature worth noting in the work itself are the potential for varying takes on the same roles due to their rich characterization.

So it also points out we are not equal, as blacks are apparently different enough to warrant another go on film. You could view it that way or just view it for what it is, which is likely more a way of showing just how similar we are that an all-black variation of the story won't hurt a bit and could even offer an interesting perspective worth experiencing for ourselves.

I doubt the intention here is to top the original. But if it does, then so be it, and I'm certain it will have something to do with the performances rather than anything to do with race.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2011-10-15 00:52:03

I'm just glad that nobody on this thread has resorted to cheap jokes like "Drink your 40, Shelby".

Posted by Mister Matt 2011-10-15 15:04:32

I'm still bemused by the comments demanding that Lifetime should do something different and write something original. Um...isn't that what they're known for? That's their schtick. And if anyone has ever seen their original work, why ask for more?

Posted by AC126748 2012-03-19 14:46:54

Casting is announced:

Jill Scott as Truvy
Queen Latifah as M'Lynn
Phylicia Rashad as Clairee
Condola Rashad as Shelby
Alfre Woodard as Ouiser
Adepero Oduye as Annelle

Too bad Phylicia and Condola aren't playing mother and daughter here!

Posted by jpbran 2012-03-19 14:59:30

Remake of "Steel Magnolias" starring Queen Latifah, which is set in a beauty shop, much like the movie "Beauty Shop" which is set in a beauty shop and stars Queen Latifah.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-03-19 15:05:48

Although I'd have loved to see Loretta Devine in this, this is a pretty good cast. I'm looking forward to it.

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2012-03-19 15:39:25

Condola Rashad as Shelby.

Nepotism, much?

Is Debbie Allen directing it as well.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-03-19 15:40:49

If she's half the actress her mother is, I don't care about the nepotism at all.

I just reread this thread. I don't even remember calling Jill Scott for this, but I did!

Posted by AC126748 2012-03-19 15:44:12

Nepotism or not, Condola Rashad is a phenomenal actress.

Posted by SonofRobbieJ 2012-03-19 16:02:46

Yeah...the nepotism charge against Condola Rashad seems a titch misplaced.

Posted by jimmycurry01 2012-03-19 16:31:37

This is an exciting cast. I can't wait to see this.

Posted by Gothampc 2012-03-19 21:39:07

I could see Queen Latifah as Truvy, Ouiser or maybe Claree. But as M'Lynn? That's miscast.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-06-08 19:12:16

Entertainment Weekly has a couple of pictures from the set in the new issue, but they aren't online yet (and my scanner isn't working).

Posted by TheatreDiva90016 2012-06-08 19:20:44

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-06-08 19:33:59

Thanks Diva, and your fancy ipad screen cap!

Posted by TheatreDiva90016 2012-06-08 19:45:13

Anything for you, Pookie.

Posted by Bettyboy72 2012-06-08 19:53:38

Sorry-Oscar nod or not, I think Latifah is an awful actress and there's not a maternal thing about her. Was Lynn Whitfleid not available?

I think Latifah's big screen career is drying up anyway. Her latest flicks have all been duds.

I was really hoping for Loretta Divine and Diahann Carroll in this, but oh well.

Posted by TheatreDiva90016 2012-06-08 20:00:04

Where in the hell is Jennifer Lewis or Loretta Devine?!

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-06-08 22:31:49

I like Latifah as an actress. Maybe her career is drying up, I don't know, I don't care. I'm looking forward to this.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2012-06-08 22:37:17

I didn't realize that my Alfre was in this!

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-06-08 22:55:26

We can "why wasn't so and so in this" all night long.

Loretta Devine
Paula Patton
Angela Bassett
Chandra Wilson
Vanessa Williams
Whoopi Goldberg
Regina King
Taraji P Henson
Gabrielle Union

I can go on, but the point is there are a finite amount of roles in this and, no matter what BettyBoy is grousing about, none of them are slouches in the acting department. While I whole-heartedly agree there are were some unusual choices casting-wise, but I don't think any of them are wrongly suited for this. A Lifetime remake of Steel Magnolias.

Posted by ucjrdude902 2012-06-08 23:26:40

I love Gabrielle Union, actually I love that whole list. Paula Patton I feel doesn't get enough work, hopefully not being part of the next couple of MI movies it'll get her some more work.

Wasn't Whoopi approached and she turned it down due to The View schedule? I thought I read that some where or something.

Posted by Bettyboy72 2012-06-09 00:11:54

I'm sorry to disagree with you Phyll-you know I love you, but IMHO Latifah plays everything, including her Pizza Hut, Cover Girl and Jenny Craig commercials like a lesbian basketball coach. I don't think its possible for her to shrug her shoulders or****her head or squint anymore than she already does. I actually made a drinking game out of it.

I'll probably play it during Steel Magnolias.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-06-09 00:14:00

If you're sorry to disagree with me, then don't disagree with me! I'm kidding. I'm sorry you don't like her, but maybe she'll surprise you in this.

Posted by Bettyboy72 2012-06-09 00:45:12

BWW censored my saying c-ck her head. I wrote the word c-ck and it appeared with little stars on it. Hmmmm......

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2012-06-09 01:34:20

I wast trying to figure out what the **** was. Shlt her head makes mo sense so I was confused.

Posted by ghostlight2 2012-06-09 08:36:49

"I didn't realize that my Alfre was in this!"

So now it's ok?

"BWW censored my saying c-ck her head."

Can you still type c****ay?

Posted by ghostlight2 2012-06-09 08:38:30

Guess not. Shame. I like a nice white wine.

Posted by TheatreDiva90016 2012-06-09 09:59:20

And I like to suck cock.

Go figure.

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-06-09 18:43:05

Love AC's idea of Jill Scott as Truvy.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-06-09 18:51:54

Jill Scott is playing Truvy.

Posted by ray-andallthatjazz86 2012-06-10 00:06:53

Condola Rashad was Fucking brilliant in the original production of RUINED, for which she won a Theatre World Award, and she was recently nominated for a Tony for STICK FLY. I think she has a great career ahead of her regardless of who her mother is or not.
I'm with PRS, the cast of this looks brilliant all the way, I haven't even seen the original movie or read the play, but I'll definitely be watching this version just based on the cast, and will probably end up finally checking out the feature version.

Posted by Playbilly 2012-06-10 00:10:42

They're using the screenplay as the guide as opposed to the play, but I'm not sure who's playing the Tom Skerritt character.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2012-07-03 13:05:27

Doesn't look half bad. However, I still don't see the point in remaking this and Queen Latifah looks like she'll give us two hours of enough emotional overacting to last me the rest of my life.

Posted by Rumpelstiltskin 2012-07-03 13:33:46

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Queen quoteth Kelly.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-07-03 14:09:56

I want to see it even more now.

Posted by TheatreDiva90016 2012-07-03 15:34:16

They had to stick a Beyonce' reference in there?

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-07-03 15:39:45

I think it was in Alfre Woodard's contract.

Posted by Roscoe 2012-07-03 16:34:08

Alfre Woodard's participation means I'll at least give this a look, but I'll DVR it and FF to her scenes.

It looks like a Tyler Perry movie, frankly. I'm surprised Perry didn't option STEEL MAGNOLIAS and cast Madea as Ouiser.

Posted by somethingwicked 2012-07-03 17:52:41

How can it look like a Tyler Perry movie, Roscoe? Because it's an all black cast? Most of the lines in the trailer are the iconic ones straight out of the original, so to say something so narrow minded is completely off base.

I, for one, think it looks great. We'll see when we're given the finished product.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-07-03 21:01:20

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2012-07-03 21:29:43

I fvcking love you, Phyllis Rogers Stone.

Posted by E.Davis 2012-07-03 21:29:43

Why is it a problem to have a Beyonce reference? It takes place in present day.

Also I love that Woodard's design is similar the Maclaine's.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-07-03 21:36:53

If it's verbatim then people would complain about that.

And thank you, Mr. Catalano.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2012-07-03 21:42:16

When I was a kid I could do a spot on impression of Miss Millicent Torkelson. I almost started to cry when I met Connie Ray after NEXT FALL.

Posted by Wynbish 2012-07-03 22:49:30

^Remember when Dorothy Jane was in Romeo and Juliet with Riley? Where it was set in the old west?

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2012-07-03 22:57:15

I asked Connie if the show was ever coming to DVD and she said they're talking about it so I'm really hoping I can relive them all soon!

Posted by jimmycurry01 2012-07-04 18:12:58

This definitely does NOT look like a Tyler Perry movie.

Posted by degrassifan 2012-07-04 19:02:28

"How can it look like a Tyler Perry movie, Roscoe? Because it's an all black cast? Most of the lines in the trailer are the iconic ones straight out of the original, so to say something so narrow minded is completely off base."

Agreed. Like, wtf? What does a Tyler Perry movie look like anyway?

By the way, I don't see it as a remake. I see it as a new adaptation of the stage play.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-07-04 19:21:08

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2012-07-04 20:36:02

This will turn an entire new generation of young boys into screaming queens.

Posted by nasty_khakis 2012-07-04 23:22:51

You mean it will turn an entire generation of boys into the down low?

Posted by Roscoe 2012-07-05 11:34:33

Sorry to offend, folks. But it looks like a Tyler Perry movie to me -- full of heavy emotional glycerine-tear pyrotechnics, hand on hip sassy one-liner one-upmanship and heavy female bonding, and it all looks very slick and over-produced and overworked. Of course, the original is pretty well like that, too, but it at least had the saving grace of Sally Field's really visceral performance that managed to transcend the soapsuds, and I'm not thinking that Queen Latifah is quite at Fields' level as an actress. If it was the great Alfre Woodard in the role, that'd be another story, but she's playing Ouiser.

And of course, it is just a trailer. I may be wrong -- it may be a towering work of sheer dramatic genius.

Posted by Visceral_Fella 2012-07-05 15:02:10

It's only offensive if one lets it become that. The Tyler Perry comment doesn't have to be taken negatively. While my eyebrow raised at the comment as well, the poster didn't necessarily say that the Tyler Perry element is a bad thing, so don't take it that way. It only has that negative weight if one allows it to.

Posted by SonofRobbieJ 2012-07-05 15:07:28

"it may be a towering work of sheer dramatic genius."

Impossible. It's Steel Magnolias, which is just basically a Tyler Perry movie in whiteface. Which is why I raised an eyebrow here. The Perry factor is a feature, not a bug.

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-07-05 23:44:59

The lifetime coming attraction looks very good. No matter how one feels about the premise concept (I have no problem with it btw), it appears to have been brilliantly cast. Jill Scott, Phylicia Rashad, Queen Latifah, and Alfre Woodard all look terrific.

Posted by henrikegerman 2012-07-05 23:45:06

The lifetime coming attraction looks very good. No matter how one feels about the premise concept (I have no problem with it btw), it appears to have been brilliantly cast. Jill Scott, Phylicia Rashad, Queen Latifah, and Alfre Woodard all look terrific.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-08-21 16:02:09

Posted by doodlenyc 2012-08-21 16:11:50

I'm not getting Woodard as Oiser. I guess she wanted to stretch herself? I love her so much, but it just seems odd. I'd much rather her as M'Lynn.

I cannot NOT smile when I see Jill Scott.

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2012-08-21 22:24:04

I love, love, love, loooooove Jill Scott!

Did I mention I love Jill Scott? Well. I do!

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-10-02 16:41:50

Posted by MrMidwest 2012-10-03 09:22:58

The cast will be on The View today.

Posted by Broadway Bob* 2012-10-03 09:42:56

From the article posted above - "She notes there was a 1992 CBS movie based on the same material and she was credited as a co-producer."

What 1992 CBS movie was based on Steel Magnolias?!?!?

Posted by Lavieboheme3090 2012-10-03 09:45:56

It was a failed TV pilot.

Posted by Broadway Bob* 2012-10-03 09:52:14

OMG! I must see this NOW!?!?

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-10-04 15:08:06

Three more days! I cannot wait!

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2012-10-04 19:31:14

Info on the 1990 television version of STEEL MAGNOLIAS. The cast included Cindy Williams as M'Lynn, Polly Bergen as Clairee and Elaine Stritch as Ousier

Posted by Caring Soul 2012-10-05 02:03:02

Oh My. What a raucous group that must have been.

Posted by ClydeBarrow 2012-10-05 02:39:28

That failed TV pilot sounds 1,000,000 times better than this dreck.

Posted by Lavieboheme3090 2012-10-05 09:03:18

Well I am certainly glad that we can still all judge it before it even airs.

Posted by themysteriousgrowl 2012-10-05 09:06:16

Of course we can. They're black, and they've gone and blacked up a perfectly white play. If we can't judge that sight unseen, what have we come to?

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-10-05 13:47:49

I hope this opens the door for Lifetime to do more All-Black remakes of things, if only to upset certain white people!

Posted by Jungle Red 2012-10-05 14:06:02

I can't wait for these!

All black version of

GONE WITH THE WIND and...
THE BIRTH OF A NATION!!

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2012-10-05 16:06:27

Im hoping for an all Philipino remake of FINAL DESTINATION 3.

Posted by Jungle Red 2012-10-05 19:46:52

I want an all white version of The Color Purple but with Irish accents.

We'll call it the Color Green.

Posted by JulesReverie 2012-10-06 02:38:22

Though a tiny part of me is curious to see an all black version of Les Miserables set in 1930-50s Jim Crow south

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-10-07 17:58:37

Haters gonna hate, but I can't wait till tonight! T-minus three hours and counting!

Posted by strummergirl 2012-10-07 18:08:56

It got a decent grade, a B, and write up from The AV Club.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-10-07 18:12:10

EW gave it a B+ and had some nice words for the Queen, but that's the only review I've seen.

Posted by Jungle Red 2012-10-07 18:45:02

The Queen is going to be the Queen.

As Oprah would say, "This is a role she was BOOOOORN to PLAAAAAAAAAAAAY!"

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2012-10-07 18:51:18

Well Oprah just did a masterclass episode with two extreme homophobes so I don't really care to hear anything she has to say for a little while.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-10-07 19:53:24

Just over an hour! Although, I probably won't start watching it until an hour or so after it starts.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2012-10-07 20:23:30

Is it racist to hope Queen Latifah throws herself on Shelby's coffin and screams "Not My Baby!!"?

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-10-07 20:36:02

I don't think so. Also, thanks for the spoiler alert! Jeesh!

Posted by Jungle Red 2012-10-07 20:55:50

I wonder if the moved the big house in the beginning of the movie to the projects.

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2012-10-07 21:55:37

^ I fail to see the humour. Fvckingracistretard

Posted by Jungle Red 2012-10-07 22:18:47

Ya win some, ya lose some.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-10-08 01:11:57

Anyway, did anyone else watch? It mostly lived up to my expectations. I thought the Queen was just marvelous and I thought all the other ladies were great, too. I feel like Phylicia Rashad had the least amount to do and it took me a while to warm up to Jill Scott, but all in all, I loved it.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2012-10-08 01:34:52

I'm taping it now and will watch it tomorrow. I will say thatI can't wait for someone to do a YouTube mashup of the two movies.

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2012-10-08 08:53:43

In my opinion it was a MAJOR snoozefest. If ain't broke, don't fix it.

Posted by Auggie27 2012-10-08 10:43:49

Have to agree. Not really funny, and though well enough acted, almost devoid of real surprise. I would've cast Alfre Woodward as M'Lynn. Latifah was okay, but the role didn't seem an easy fit. Woodard is much closer to the Harling idea of this mother (saw the originals, Rosemary Prinz played the role on stage). As with the original film, however, it was too busy by half. It's one thing to open up a claustrophobic play, another to make sure it's constantly moving. A lot of the stuff with the men felt distracting. The strength of the material lies in the beauty shop scenes, and whenever that's trusted the story's point of view is sharpened. It's about what happens there, and everything else becomes boilerplate and far soapier than any moment in those salon chairs. Nothing wrong with this adaptation, but nothing to make it required viewing (or invite multiple viewings).

Posted by SonofRobbieJ 2012-10-08 10:50:16

There were some unkind words for Condola Rashad in some of the reviews...and I thought she was the best thing in the movie. Completely unsentimental. A little flinty. She was terrific.

Posted by taboo123 2012-10-08 10:58:12

i do not understand the love for Queen Latifah.
She is tone-deaf, has no emotion in her face and delivers her lines in every movie the SAME EXACT way... there is no tone, quality or dimension to any of her performances.
you can look at Living Single-Chicago-Hairspray-Steel Magnolias and Taxi- and her countless horrible films and it's all the same emotionless toneless diatribe.

The only good thing she did was her first rap song in 89' 'Ladies First'-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLB5bUNAesc

and even in that- she's using that same lifeless monotone delivery

I have no idea why she keeps getting work.

Posted by BrodyFosse123 2012-10-08 11:13:08

I have no idea why she keeps getting work.

Because she wisely produces the projects she's in. She is one of the producers of this Lifetime adaptation of STEEL MAGNOLIAS.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2012-10-08 12:42:40

STEEL MAGNOLIAS is the gay GONE WITH THE WIND. You just don't mess with it.

Posted by SonofRobbieJ 2012-10-08 12:58:20

STEEL MAGNOLIAS is terrible. Just terrible. It will never, ever be good. Not in any iteration. Black, white, Asian or other. It's just dreadful. I mean...I like it. The same way I like Funyuns.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-10-08 13:44:42

I don't understand the non-love for Queen Latifah. But then again, I don't understand the love for The New Normal, so there you go.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2012-10-08 13:55:04

Latifah is not a good actress. She's had some good performances in a few films (SET IT OFF being her best, by far) but every movie he does she just seems extremely uncomfortable and totally unwilling or unable to "let go" and really become the character she's playing, so they all seem the same and very one-note. There are films where it works for her, like in that hilarious BRINGING DOWN THE HOUSE or even CHICAGO where she doesn't need to display a range of emotions. But when asked to do that, I feel she completely fails.

Posted by CarlosAlberto 2012-10-08 14:00:41

I have to agree that SET IT OFF was by far Latifah's best performance.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-10-08 14:02:04

Clearly you guys have never seen Last Holiday.

Posted by tazber 2012-10-08 14:05:10

I love the Queen too. She's one of those personalities that doesn't really need to "act". She just needs to do a sassier version of herself and I'm happy

You know who is an excellent actress though? Mo'nique.

Seriously, her performance was volcanic and ultimately heartbreaking in Precious.

That ranks near the top of completely unexpected turns I've ever seen. I had no idea she had it in her. I wish she'd act more.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2012-10-08 14:05:17

Baby, you know I don't eat nothin but my Lean Cuisine.

Posted by somethingwicked 2012-10-08 14:13:15

I found Latifah incredibly effective playing very much against type in STEEL MAGNOLIAS. I was skeptical when I heard she was playing M'Lynn and not Truvy, but she really pulled it off.

For the record, I'd say her best work was a few years ago in the HBO movie LIFE SUPPORT, where she won a Golden Globe for playing a recovering drug addict who becomes an AIDS activist in the black community.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-10-08 14:16:27

Well, I'm sorry more people didn't like the movie or don't like the Queen, but that doesn't change how I feel. Like Robbie, I don't take the original version too seriously, but I'm not going to take offense at those who didn't like this.

Posted by SonofRobbieJ 2012-10-08 14:36:30

For the record, this is the only version that made me cry.

Now...that may be because of the whole extended 'Let's take her off life support' hitting a little too close to home. But, in general, I felt that this version was much less folksy and home-spun. It felt more 'real.' Mostly because of Condola Rashad (really...great performance). But I was surprised by the depth of what Latifah brought. But only a little...I kinda thought she had it in her.

But can someone confirm something for me? Was the budget so completely blown by the casting of the six women that they had to go to the local homeless shelter to cast all the men??? Every man in the movie was TERRIBLE. I mean...'hasn't mastered a working sense of English' TERRIBLE.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-10-08 15:01:32

I liked Condola Rashad a lot too, and felt the same way you did, about her not deserving the reviews she got.

The men were kind of weird, but it took me a while to notice because I was kind of thrown when I realized that this was more or less a remake of the original screenplay than the original play. There was something really off-putting about Drum at first and I thought Spud kind of looked like Seal. Annelle's guy (Sammy? I think) was pretty hot, though.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2012-10-08 15:13:04

I think at LEAST Sam Shepard should have played Spud again.

Posted by BwayBaby18 2012-10-08 15:38:08

I think the cast was fine. The problem I had is that it was so rushed and serious. Part of the reason the film works so well is you can see that they are having a good time and it feels like it is happening in front of you. As opposed to We need to trim 20 minutes out of this to fit in commercials.

Posted by Auggie27 2012-10-08 15:53:07

Yes, for me, tonally, it was somewhat lacking in the joyousness that Harling made the centerpiece. Humor isn't Leon's specialty, and I think the fear that it could turn into slice of Tyler Perry ville made it all a bit reverential. A little more fun, a little less respect wouldn't have hurt. Though it's critical to set up the emotional stakes with the daughter, it's easy to "play the ending," and miss out on the comedy.

But minor reservations. The film did its job, didn't it? I think more people genuinely enjoyed and were moved by it, and will continue to be. It's not faint praise to say it ended up what many expected. Surely that was a goal. Who wants to bet that it has some of the highest ratings in Lifetime history? I think it would've done a smash-up job at the box office.

Posted by somethingwicked 2012-10-08 16:04:11

You're right about it being a ratings winner, Auggie- 6.5 million people tuned in, which made it the most watched original programming on Lifetime in over five years. It also scored off the charts in all the key demos. A big success for everyone involved.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/lifetimes-steel-magnolia-remake-premieres-big-with-6-5-million-viewers/

Posted by SonofRobbieJ 2012-10-08 16:05:36

Here is why I hate Steel Magnolias.

As I was watching this movie, one of my best friends in the world turned to me during the hospital scenes and said, 'I mean...it's so weird...here's a guy who's only been married to her for a little bit, but he gets to sign off on turning off her life support...but it's the mother who's been there the entire time, taking care of her.'

This friend, mind you, was in the hospital with me every day when I was signing those same forms for the man with whom I spent 8 years of my life. After I got over the initial, 'Are you really Fucking saying this to me????' I realized that THAT is exactly what this movie wants you to feel. That men cannot handle these moments. That it's women who do all the heavy lifting, and men will just wilt under the pressure.

I've always been bothered by the raising up of women at the expense of men in this property (at least as a film...I don't think it's as obvious on stage). But these days? I find it offensive.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2012-10-08 16:12:35

Latifah should have taken the forms and started to smack him with them so they get into a knock down fight on the floor and only after security pulls their bloody bodies away from each other do they realize they've unplugged Shelby's machine. They stand there for a moment and give each other a wide eyed look before breaking out into spontaneous laughter and embracing, knowing they've shared a moment that will bond them for life.

Posted by Phyllis Rogers Stone 2012-10-08 16:13:38

Well, I do think that is what it wants you to think (the stage show, too, since M'Lynn recounts the details of letting Shelby go to the women in the parlor) and yeah, it's a flaw of the work. But I always figured that it must have been how it happened it Robert Harling's life, since the Shelby story is a shrine to his sister.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2012-10-08 16:16:37

So you think Robert Harling is really Chi Chi and that his sister was really his cousin?

Posted by SonofRobbieJ 2012-10-08 16:18:25

I think...because there are no men in the stage show, that it generally seems far more palatable. Once you introduce the characters of the men, they kind of need to act the buffoons in order to make the story work.

I felt that the first time I saw the movie...and that one had skilled actors like Skerritt and Shepard and McDermott. But that ragtag collection of hobos and insurance salesmen who were 'acting' in the new one? It made it all the worse.

Posted by Auggie27 2012-10-08 16:25:50

Absolutely agree about the addition of the men. They're not part of the original concept, and the narrow focus and the salon-based point of view -- the story's strengths, rather than a liability - make the men feel shoe-horned in. It's impossible to reconcieve the material and make these guys multi-dimensional (and thus worth our time), without scaling back the very heart of the material, its female-based POV. The previous film didn't make a persuasive case for the guys with attractive stars; these fellas, as duly noted in this thread, were low on charisma, charisma and presence requirements to make their cameo-like participation palatable.

Posted by SonofRobbieJ 2012-10-08 16:29:51

^ Interesting point. And it speaks to what star casting (or at least 'familiar actor' casting can do). If you have a role that's underwritten, casting a known actor shades the role immediately. Some of the work can be done just through casting because the audience will already have preconceived feelings about the actor. When you cast nobodies (who also aren't particularly skilled) you turn a liability into something almost fatal.

Posted by Jordan Catalano 2012-10-09 00:03:52

I'm watching it now and the biggest problem I'm having is that the cuts are extremely fast and it sounds like everyone is constantly talking over each other so they can get all the dialogue into 90 minutes. It's really distracting.

Posted by Mildred Plotka 2012-10-09 01:06:24

I made it thorough about half an hour, which I think was more than generous.

Posted by Auggie27 2012-10-09 11:39:46

If comedy is tragedy plus time, then Jordan's point about this adaptation is ever more astute. We got ample tragedy, precious little comedy. The filmmakers' fear of turning this into a Tyler Perry movie stifled the comedic instincts of everyone involved. (To me, ironically, it only made the film feel like the last 25 minutes of a Tyler Perry movie, when the can't-we-just-love one another moral patina bathes the farce in Life Lessons.)