BroadwayWorld.com
Profile for AwesomeDanny
Edit Your Profile |

Click to Enlarge
Member Name: AwesomeDanny
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: 8 - 14
Favorite Show(s): A Chorus Line
Billy Elliot
Cabaret
Company
Evita
next to normal
Ragtime
Rent
Sunday in the Park with George
The Light in the Piazza
West Side Story
[title of show]

Favorite Performer(s): Laura Benanti
Michael Cerveris
Kristin Chenoweth
Judy Garland
Cheyenne Jackson
Patti LuPone
Audra McDonald
Idina Menzel
Lea Michele
Jessie Mueller
Alice Ripley
Sherie Rene Scott
Aaron Tveit

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago  Apr 24 2015, 11:50:10 PM

If I remember correctly (I don't have my copy with me), in Finishing the Hat, Sondheim made a comparison between Billy Bigelow's "Soliloquy" and Sweeney Todd's "Epiphany" pointing out how both are big solo numbers in which the lead character vows to take extreme ends for their children occupying the penultimate song slot in the first act.

• Theater in Chicago  Apr 24 2015, 01:58:11 AM

Bad Jews doesn't start until tomorrow night. If you're asking for "must-see shows" you won't get a lot of consensus, just as all of the "what should I see for my trip to New York" threads spiral into thousands of suggestions. Look at reviews (The Chicago Tribune is my preferred site, though Chicago Reader and the Sun Times both have thorough coverage) and look at what sparks your interest. There's always so much quality work going on I'm sure you'll see stuff you really like (and at

• Pulitzer goes to Between Riverside and Crazy  Apr 20 2015, 04:13:56 PM

I haven't seen any of these plays yet, but I am disappointed by the lack of Airline HighwayThe Humans, and Luna Gale, each of which I thought was strong enough to take the award.

I'll be looking forward to the Steppenwolf production of Riverside next year--fascinatingly, this award means that Steppenwolf's entire season this year is from Pulitzer Prize-winning writers: Guirgis and Baker's award-winning plays are joined by ne

• CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago  Apr 14 2015, 10:19:05 PM

^Yeah, it's still the standard for opera houses not to use amplification.

• CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago  Apr 14 2015, 10:11:39 PM

"Okay, less aggression. That's my point. The Broadway production doesn't have to use those designs. I'd put down money that part of getting Carousel financed in an out-of-town at the Lyric was Rob Ashford agreeing to go to Houston and direct. I mean, why would he go to direct a co-production between two opera companies? I'm sure he has a lot of love for Carousel, but brother doesn't exactly need to pad his resume.
    And if it comes to that - maybe they wi

• CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago  Apr 13 2015, 02:58:34 AM

Wow, that clip of the Hytner production is really incredible. Sally Murphy really captures an independent spirit unsure of how to enter romance after being known as such a character. These things I felt were lacking in Osnes's performance. The way that scene is played in that clip, there is such fear as they approach the prospect of love, it's really dark and chilling. I can now really understand why that production was praised so highly. It really portrays the complexity of these charac

• CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago  Apr 13 2015, 01:50:39 AM

Wickedfan, I love that you made the Stanley/Stella comparison because that was exactly what I thought when seeing this production. In fact, I left saying I would love to see Pasquale as Stanley. I felt that this production really emphasized that Carousel is so much about desire. Particularly the setting in the depression created a feeling of helplessness which would later transform into... well not quite regret, but perhaps sense of curiosity that felt worthless (hence

• CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago  Apr 12 2015, 09:37:17 PM

I saw this afternoon's performance, and while I thoroughly enjoyed it, I wouldn't give it the "bring this straight to Broadway!" endorsement. Stephen Pasquale was as glorious as I hoped, but I was not quite in love with Laura Osnes's performance. She was fairly plain and conventional for someone commonly described as "a queer one"--I felt like the qualities that make her a perfect ingenue got in the way of this role. She gave a lovely "What's the Use of Wondering?" though.

Rob Ashf

• Jesus Christ Superstar  Apr 11 2015, 03:26:14 PM

I've seen this current production in Chicago, and I can't think of anything any reasonable person would find offensive. It's a rather straightforward production, nothing particularly edgy. Unless your friend is fundamentalist, it should be fine.

Enjoy this production! There are some nice staging choices, and in the role of Mary Magdalene, Danni Smith is giving an amazing performance, as she always does. Not personally my favorite production Theo Ubique has done in recent years, but

• Theater in Chicago  Apr 8 2015, 08:55:24 PM

According to the reviews and a couple opinions I've heard, The Upstairs Concierge is not worth your time. My favorite plays currently running in Chicago are Griffin Theatre's Balm in Gilead playing at The Den Theatre in Wicker Park, Theater Wit's Mr. Burns, Writers' Theatre's Diary of Anne Frank, and The House's The Hammer Trinity. All were wonderful productions I would happily see again.

• CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago  Apr 8 2015, 07:51:19 PM

No, nothing high-concept to be concerned about, just a slight shift in setting.

• My Fair Lady amateur rights problem  Apr 8 2015, 01:26:53 AM

I definitely saw a college production two years ago. Also I don't see why they would suspend amateur rights but not professional rights. It seems to make more sense to do it the other way around.

• CAROUSEL at the Lyric Opera in Chicago  Apr 8 2015, 01:05:24 AM

Excited beyond belief to see it on Sunday. Everything I hear makes me more excited about it. I hear that Rob Ashford has a thoughtful concept that will shed a different light on the abuse (but, of course, I won't reveal what that is).

• Seating at The Bank of America Theater and the Civic Opera House in Chicgao  Apr 4 2015, 06:10:37 PM

I've sat on the far sides of the Bank of America, and usually some of the action is cut off, but nothing too bad. I sat very far to the side for Book of Mormon a couple years ago, and I only missed maybe 30 seconds of action.

At the Lyric, I've never sat in the boxes, but they're not off to the sides--they're actually more of a loge than traditional box seats. On the Lyric Opera website, if you click on seats for a performance, you can see a picture of the view f

• AIRLINE HIGHWAY Previews  Apr 3 2015, 06:01:52 PM

The show did not run 2:10 in Chicago. At the start of previews, it ran a little over 2:30, and 10-15 minutes were shaved off by the end of the run. So I wouldn't think that they added any time.

I'm also curious to know the extent of the revisions. I loved the play and found it to be incredibly well directed and acted. There are many characters who don't necessarily advance the central plot, but fill out the atmosphere and draw you deeper into the world. Think kind of like Balm in G

• Signature Theatre Announces its 2015-2016 Season-What do you think?  Mar 30 2015, 02:38:55 PM
    Gary Griffin's staging of Road Show is really incredible. I'm so glad to hear that it will be seen again. There was so much genius in that production.
  • New Plays at the Tonys  Mar 29 2015, 02:40:48 PM
    "Of course no one knows much about Airline Highway"

That's a stretch as it played a successful 2 1/2 month run at Steppenwolf, where thousands of people saw it. Look up the thread about it on this board or look at the official reviews. I personally loved it and saw it twice, and I know many people who passionately adored it, but a lot of people felt ambivalent. A rather similar reaction to the playwright's earlier work Detroit. I'd say Disgraced has a better shot at a nomination, but it
  • 2015 Pulitzer Prize Predictions?  Mar 26 2015, 08:59:55 PM
    I was in the (admittedly small) camp that adored The Qualms, but I have to say that it's far from Pulitzer material. I could easily see The Humans or Airline Highway taking it. If I were on the selection committee, the three plays I would award would be Airline Highway, The Humans, and Our Lady of Kibeho. Then again, I thought Smokefall, Belleville, and Mr Burns were the most fabulous plays of the past few years, and I have never understood Annie Baker's appeal.
  • What Is The Best City In The USA (New York excluded) For Theater?  Mar 13 2015, 07:18:39 PM
    How long of an answer do you want? First, you have the top-tier equity theatres, led by the 5 Tony-winning ones: Goodman, Steppenwolf, Chicago Shakespeare, Lookingglass, and Victory Gardens. Then you have mid-size equity theaters like Court and American Theatre Company, or Writers Theatre in the north suburbs. And then there's also Timeline, which does great, incredibly intimate equity work. The suburbs also have a few really great musical houses--Drury Lane Oakbrook, Marriott Lincolnshire, and
  • Equity and the 99-seat plan  Mar 13 2015, 03:25:49 AM
    I did a search, and I can't believe this hasn't been discussed here yet. I'm not going to pretend I am well-versed enough in the economics of theatre and unions to explain what is happening, so I will leave this article:

http://www.backstage.com/news/la-99-seat-theaters-say-revenue-isnt-full-picture/

I find what's going on here alternately fascinating, tragic, and infuriating