Profile for AwesomeDanny
Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld AwesomeDanny
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: AwesomeDanny
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: 8 - 14
Favorite Show(s): A Chorus Line
Billy Elliot
next to normal
Sunday in the Park with George
The Light in the Piazza
West Side Story
[title of show]

Favorite Performer(s): Laura Benanti
Michael Cerveris
Kristin Chenoweth
Judy Garland
Cheyenne Jackson
Patti LuPone
Audra McDonald
Idina Menzel
Lea Michele
Jessie Mueller
Alice Ripley
Sherie Rene Scott
Aaron Tveit

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • The Humans  Oct 1 2015, 02:49:51 AM

The play was extremely well-received in its world premiere in Chicago last year, directed by the (tragically) recently deceased PJ Paparelli. As a big fan of Karam's writing, and this play in particular, I am glad to hear your positive reactions. I love how Karam makes an essentially plotless story so compelling by weaving in a building sense of suspense into the proceedings. The characters he crafts are so believable, relatable, and lovable. I consider Karam to be among the ver

• Sweet Bird Of Youth Revival?  Sep 19 2015, 05:47:51 PM

^ There were massive and lengthy scene changes occurring in the intermissions of that production. I assume those dictated where they placed the intermissions.

• Sweet Bird Of Youth Revival?  Sep 17 2015, 03:09:05 PM

EricMontreal22, that was indeed the case with Cromer's production. The first act was left in its original state, but the second act consisted of just the first scene of act two in the published script, relocated from the cocktail lounge to (if I am remembering correctly) a pier at or near the Finley residence. The third act of Cromer's production consisted of the second scene of act two and the entirety of the third act in the published script. The only thing that didn't work for

• Sweet Bird Of Youth Revival?  Sep 17 2015, 02:49:20 AM

To clarify for Mr Roxy, a production was announced for Broadway a few years back with David Cromer set to direct Nicole Kidman and James Franco in the lead roles. That production fell through, but Cromer was able to stage his production in Chicago with Diane Lane and Finn Wittrock in those roles. The production was very well-received and sold remarkably well, but no transfer occurred. I am glad it worked out the way it did, as Lane and Wittrock were better than I could imagine Kidman and

• Bare  Sep 2 2015, 08:34:19 PM

LYLS3637 said: "It's very successful in a few areas. It was "It Gets Better" before there was "It Gets Better." "

Is there really anything in the show that suggests that things get any better? It's a depressing two hours with an even more depressing conclusion.

• Crucible Revival  Aug 6 2015, 06:53:49 PM

I'm not much of a fan of Van Hove's work, but everything else about this so excites me. I don't mind if Proctor is significantly younger than he historically was as long as it makes sense within the world created onstage. It's historical fiction; I don't mind if some details are fudged. But the most exciting thing about this, for me, is Phillip Glass's score. I am very much looking forward to hearing thoughts on what will probably be a very divisive production.

• The most frequently produced high school plays and musicals- by decade (fascinating list!)  Aug 1 2015, 06:12:59 AM

I know that West Side Story is generally understood to be a staple of high school drama programs, but I have never actually known anyone whose high school did the show. It requires a lot of men with dance ability, and so few high schools have that.

It's nice to see lots of very strong shows that can really inspire a love of theatre on this list. However, seeing favorites of mine produced so commonly also makes me very nervous--as Gaveston said, there's nothing like a

• Who Deserves a Broadway House Named After Them?  Jul 29 2015, 05:05:43 AM

Tennessee Williams, without a doubt. Edward Albee, Thornton Wilder, Lillian Hellman--all deserving names.

• Stop dressing like crap!  Jul 28 2015, 10:02:54 PM

I do try to dress decently when I see plays, but I never care what fellow patrons wear--I'm there to watch the show, not my fellow audience members. Dress codes at performances recall the pre-Wagnerian days when attending a performance was as much a social event as it was entertainment. By turning off our phones, we are agreeing that we only care about what is happening on stage.

When Vincintelli (a person I continually grow to loathe with each word she says) closes

• Evita 2006/2012 Revival  Jul 18 2015, 06:13:32 PM

I saw her alternate, Christina DeCicco, in the role, and i thought she was wonderful. Ricky Martin was, as everyone keeps repeating, very underwhelming as Che. I loved this production's staging and design for its willingness to part from the cartoonish Hal Prince staging that has been reproduced for decades. This was the first production of Evita I have seen in which it seemed that someone actually realized that the show is set in Argentina. The orchestrations sounded more Latin and the

• Angela Lansbury in Driving Miss Daisy on PBS  Jul 18 2015, 05:48:39 PM

I have to disagree with you. I was disappointed with this production, but having seen what I thought was a wonderful production of the play not quite two years ago, I am tempted to say the fault lies in this production and its performers. I could not believe Angela Lansbury as southern or Jewish, and I frequently had trouble understanding what James Earl Jones was saying. They played their scenes in a very slow, almost melodramatic manner that really didn't work for me. I was never able to co

• The Wild Party Opens This Week  Jul 16 2015, 02:53:03 AM

I'm disappointed to hear that those two songs that really, really work (and you can't say that about much of the score) are gone, and nobody has mentioned anything about further development of the minor characters. Of course, on Lippa's last musical, Big Fish, he cut a song that worked really well ("The River Between Us") and left an embarrassingly awkward clunker untouched ("Showdown," anyone?).

I imagined that Sutton would be miscast, and the video clips (which, gra

• Amy Morton back to Broadway  Jul 10 2015, 05:21:54 PM

She's a regular on Chicago PD, so that would kind of get in the way. She did just direct a play at the Atlantic Theatre Company, though, and she is directing a reading of a new play at Steppenwolf this summer.

• So What Musicals Should Jake Gyllenhaal Do?  Jul 3 2015, 02:12:38 AM

I would love to see him take a stab at Bobby (whatever happened to that gay Company? Did anything come of that reading?) or maybe Guido Contini. I would see him do Floyd Collins, as well. In addition to the previously mentioned roles, of course.

• The Wild Party: Lippa vs LaChiusa  Jul 3 2015, 01:59:47 AM

A year ago, I was almost completely unfamiliar with both versions, but now I have been lucky enough to see a production of each version in recent months. I much prefer LaChiusa's version. The score is grounded in the period much more, and it's a dream for a music geek like me. All the mixed meter, dissonant harmonies, and that one crazy moment with eight completely different vocal lines layered on top of each other... it really makes Lippa's score seem tame by comparison. Also, stru

• SPEECH AND DEBATE by Stephen Karam to be filmed in Mississippi?  Jul 1 2015, 10:03:15 PM

Is this for the film adaptation that was announced way back when the play was running off-Broadway, which we have heard nothing about in the past seven or eight years? If this is actually going forward, I would be thrilled. I think Karam is one of our finest young playwrights, and Speech & Debate would make a wonderful indie comedy.

• Your favorite shows you've seen in 2015 so far  Jul 1 2015, 09:56:48 PM

I have seen 62 shows so far this year (including student productions). Here are my top ten (all in Chicago)

1. Mr. Burns (Theater Wit)

2. Balm in Gilead (Griffin Theatre)

3. The Hammer Trinity (House Theatre)

4. The Diary of Anne Frank (Writers Theatre)

5. Sondheim on Sondheim (Porchlight Music Theatre)

6. Airline Highway (Steppenwolf)

7. The

• Entertainment Weekly's 50 Best Plays (and 10 Greatest Musicals) Over the Past 100 Years  Jul 1 2015, 03:46:53 AM

"You're a constant marvel. Nobody under the age of 70 like The Skin of Our Teeth."

Speak for yourself. I'm very far from that age, and I adore that play.

I think it's ridiculous that this list ignored Cat on a Hot Tin RoofAll My SonsThe Normal HeartYou Can't Take it With YouPrivate Lives... I understand there are limited slots, but are The Lieutenant o

• A View From the Bridge to Broadway  Jun 29 2015, 09:21:13 PM

"I saw the NT live and thought Phoebe Fox' accent was horrible. I do hope the cast decide to work on their accent a bit more. "

Yes, that bothered me, but not nearly as much as the choice not to have Rodolpho use an Italian accent. Marco did have his proper accent, which made it all the more confusing.

• Fun Home - Deaf Accessibility  Jun 29 2015, 03:17:00 AM

Yes, that link is the script of the show. Just make sure when you order, you select "Acting Edition" at the side of the page, instead of "Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic (Graphic Novel)" which is the graphic novel upon which the musical is based (which is a great read I'd highly recommend, but not the script you are looking for).