BroadwayWorld.com
Profile for trentsketch
Edit Your Profile |

Click to Enlarge
Member Name: trentsketch
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Web Site: http://cuethemedia.tumblr.com
Blog Address: http://cuethemedia.tumblr.com
Birthday: 9 - 27
Profile: I work as a music director for educational and non-profit theater and as a freelance writer. My main webhub is my entertainment media blog Cue the Media.

Favorite Show(s):

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Whats next for Jasper in Deadland?  Jul 16 2015, 07:21:30 PM

It wouldn't be expensive to produce, no, but I think it's just a little too small for Broadway. If they amp it up to play on a larger stage for a larger house, it could lose a lot of its magic.

I'm a fan of the piece. I'd love to see it live on. I don't know if the numbers make sense for anyone to step in and try a Broadway run. 

• Lion King Question  Jul 5 2015, 12:38:00 PM

Definitely see it. The spectacle is worth it if you haven't before. Beautiful costumes, orchestrations, and choreography. It was already mentioned, but the new songs are definitely the highlights. He Lives In You Reprise is just so beautiful.

Is it the most amazing show ever? Absolutely not. It's theater for children done on a grand scale. That's not a bad thing. 

• AMAZING GRACE Previews  Jun 28 2015, 10:39:52 AM

Another one here who looks for Whizzer's reviews because they're fair and well-written. He always justifies what he says. Anyone claiming Whizzer only wants to write harsh, negative reviews has not read a single other review he's ever posted on this site. His first preview raves have gotten me to see a good number of shows and even some of his more negative reviews have intrigued me enough to pick up a ticket. 

I had little interest in Amazing Grace before and now know I will

• High School Productions Nowadays  Mar 8 2015, 10:13:54 PM
    There are a ton of great high school theater programs in this area. Summit always puts on a great production.
  • Why does the witch have to climb Rapunzel's hair?  Jan 30 2015, 09:34:18 AM
    Obviously she had to climb Rapunzel's hair so that she couldn't use hair actually as yellow as gold for the spell at the end of Act I. Can't miss out on Jack's one moment of genius in the entire show.

It's a plot contrivance that I have no problem with. So much of Into the Woods' set up comes from the original Grim Brothers' Rapunzel that I just accept it. All that vegetable garden and curse stuff comes from the story, too.
  • ITW in IMAX?  Jan 11 2015, 10:03:07 PM
    They did spend the money on an enhanced audio release in select theaters. Much better use of money than formatting it for IMAX.
  • Wall Street Journal writer admits to leaving most shows at intermission...  Dec 9 2014, 07:01:48 PM
    We're not misreading what she wrote. She brayed out an editorial about being a naughty little minx, sneaking out of theaters at intermission and hoping that the PR people who gave her free tickets don't catch her. Now why would she be afraid of being caught leaving? Maybe because she knows that a media critic comped tickets to a theatrical event is expected to watch the whole thing?
  • Wall Street Journal writer admits to leaving most shows at intermission...  Dec 9 2014, 10:23:03 AM
    As someone who dreams of getting invitations to write about Broadway shows (and has been blacklisted by one company for writing a negative review of a show they invited me to review), I can safely say this woman disgusts me. She is not a theater critic. However, she has undermined her credibility by bragging about how she doesn't bother to see most of the shows she's comped on all the way through. What else does she skip out on without fully experiencing?

This isn't a case of disagreei
  • -  Dec 4 2014, 07:13:17 PM
    It's okay. We'll just have to Tweet and Instagram to bring Tinkerbell back to life. If #TinkerbellShouldLive trends in 5 minutes nationwide, she get's a happily ever after.
  • Ugg-a-Wugg: Thanksgiving Parade 1979  Nov 29 2014, 10:46:54 AM
    Quite a few things lovebwy. For one, they cast a bunch of white actors to play natives. That wouldn't be so bad if they then didn't give them red leggings and tops, paint their faces red (to make them redskins), cover them in war paint, and dress them like stock Native American characters in a western. Ugg-a-wugg and the other nonsense language is the lyrical equivalent of writing a show with Chinese characters and having them sing ching-chong over and over. The choreography is very well execute
  • re: Side Show Previews  Nov 4 2014, 12:06:42 PM
    They were clear about casting two standbys in the Side Show call in August. It's probably like somethingwicked said: one of the standbys is choosing to go uncredited in the Playbill.
  • Was the Lauren Ambrose funny girl revival gonna be a flop?  Oct 13 2014, 08:42:55 AM
    I recently music directed a production with a very beautiful Fanny. We used makeup to exaggerate her features and kept the costumes a little ill-fitting. She passed for the character just fine.
  • Bizarre Tony nominations  Oct 11 2014, 08:55:11 PM
    And the chairs in Scottsboro Boys were also designed specifically to meet the needs of all the staging. They didn't just stack random chairs for sets; they were built to be arranged in the various configurations by the actors onstage.

See, a bizarre nomination would have been [Title of Show] for Set Design since it literally is four chairs and a keyboard onstage. Scottsboro Boys is a very different beast, indeed.

Regarding Contact, it's not produced/revived anywhere becaus
  • The Last Ship previews  Sep 29 2014, 09:59:57 AM
    Seeing it next week. Very excited.
  • HARDEST MUSICALS TO STAGE  Sep 23 2014, 05:35:40 PM
    Shrek actually is challenging to stage. You need to do the Fiona transformation sequences very quickly. Plus, there's the giant dragon, Lord Farquaad's absurd height, and the dozen or so fairy tale creatures who pop in and out throughout the show. It's not such a ridiculous choice.

I'd go for City of Angels, myself. The dual role-cast, black & white versus color, aspect is a challenge, for sure. Then there's the two transformations in the middle of "You Can Always Count on Me" and all t
  • Question about Funny Girl (specifically Cornet Man)  Sep 4 2014, 02:39:41 PM
    Act I is much better than Act II. Act II would need a lot of fixing to stand up to scrutiny without megawatt stars in every named role for a revival. Even then, the interminable business deal scene leading into Nicky's Reprise of Don't Rain on My Parade (another misstep in itself) is deathly. Rat-Tat-Tat-Tat goes on way too long and the one-two punch of Who Are You Now and The Music that Makes Me dance is a guarantee of sleeping audience members.

I have faith in a revival, but it's goi
  • If you could Supervise a Revisal...  Sep 1 2014, 08:47:46 AM
    I have to agree with the Little Women choice. I music directed a production a couple years ago and the bones are very good. It needs some tweaks and a commitment to one conceit. Is it Jo, now a grown writer, telling her story through her prose or is it Jo, a young woman, growing up and becoming a writer? Both stories can be told, but the balance doesn't sit quite right between the two angles. The writer aspect peaks at the beginning of Act II and doesn't return until The Fire Within Me. That's m
  • When will they announce the full cast for Side Show?  Aug 27 2014, 11:47:30 AM
    I know there was an Equity call for Violet/Daisy standbys and male/female swings last week. Might be the cause of the hold up.
  • The Last Ship One Day Flash Sale  Aug 25 2014, 01:24:44 PM
    Thanks for the head's up. I picked up tickets for October 9 since I'll already be in the city for NYCC and everything shuts down at 7PM that night. Plenty of time to grab a quick dinner and get to the theater.
  • Most Misguided Interpretation You've Seen?  Aug 25 2014, 07:20:34 AM
    The Taming of the Shrew, reset in a 1950s diner because reasons. The director, a friend, could never explain why she did what she did. She just said "it worked so well" when asked to explain her reasoning.

BROADWAYWORLD TV