Profile for trentsketch

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld trentsketch
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: trentsketch
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Web Site: http://sketchydetails.us
Blog Address: http://sketchydetails.us
Birthday: 9 - 27
Profile: I work as a music director for educational and non-profit theater and as a freelance writer. My main webhub is my entertainment media blog Cue the Media.

Favorite Show(s):

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • What Broadway  Jul 31 2016, 04:57:29 PM

I'd love to see Amour come back.

More realistically, Caroline, or Change.

• Will any of the original Principals be in Hamilton after July 9th?  Jun 13 2016, 05:19:03 PM

A few film sites have posted that Phillipa Soo is going to have a part in Moana. I know a voice acting job isn't going to last forever, but she must have some reason for leaving Hamilton. Who knows what else she has lined up or in the works?

• Theatre pet peeves - from the stage!  Jun 5 2016, 04:27:10 PM

If I'm allowed to, I do keep a bottle of water with me at a show. It is for medical reasons. I drink if I have to and hold the bottle between my feet so I know where it is at all times. When I used to act, I'd have to have water set in both wings and backstage to counteract the dehydration effect of all my prescription medications.

If I'm not allowed to keep water with me at a show, I load up at the water fountain before the show, at intermission, and after the show. Not id

• FROZEN to Officially Hit Broadway  May 28 2016, 11:12:41 AM

It's cute for a theme park show, for sure. The Let It Go staging works for that space. The Olaf puppet is adorable. 

The Broadway version is obviously going to aim for something bigger. It also, at most, needs to run two times in one day, rather than a theme park show that runs a whole lot more than that. I could see them going in that direction for Let It Go, but Elsa's choreography will have more actual set pieces pop up from the stage and fly in. 

Love

• Best theatre magic?  May 11 2016, 10:07:59 AM

I'm a big fan of onstage transformation. One of my favorites with tech was Alan Cumming's Macbeth, where he turned upstage and the three tv screens above the stage became the three witches with three camera feeds. Simple and effective.

Even simpler (but much harder for the actor) was Jefferson Mays' performance in I Am My Own Wife. To craft so many distinct characters with small costume/prop adjustments, physicality, and vocal inflection was mesmerizing.

On the tech

• Can someone tell me the reason why the cats in Cats are played by humans and not cats?  Mar 31 2016, 11:34:11 AM

The real question is why Cats are the only ones represented in the musical Cats. There is no reason that a qualified dog or actor dressed as a dog could not play Grizzabella or Rum Tum Tugger. 

• What makes for an effective revival?  Mar 29 2016, 11:55:54 AM

An effective revival is like any other effective stage production. There needs to be a clear concept based in the script and music. It all comes down to finding an engaging way to connect the audience with the material. No production is ever going to work for everyone, and a revival has the added baggage of living up to expectations of previous successful or well-remembered productions.

The Color Purple revival is effective because of its relative simplicity. The set and costumes force

• Wildhorn's WONDERLAND musical to tour UK  Mar 19 2016, 01:41:07 PM

If they fixed the book, the show could work. Act II on Broadway was a plotless mess with a couple good songs. 

• That Tyler Perry Jesus Musical is still happening  Mar 17 2016, 09:20:48 AM

Hulu's been airing ads on every commercial break for this. All I learned is there's a giant white cross and Katy Perry's "Unconditional" is actually about God. 

• DISASTER! Reviews  Mar 9 2016, 09:52:24 AM

This was always going to be totally hit or miss with the critics. They lucked out in having 4 critics who really enjoyed the show in spite of its flaws. That's enough positive PR to keep the limited run going to its planned closing date. A couple new commercials with positive pulls from the Times emphasizing how funny the show is should keep it afloat.

• Call me odd... most disturbing plays?  Mar 3 2016, 10:51:09 AM

Neil Labute's Autobahn collection is really disturbing, too. One of the plays is about a woman trying to remember the details of her rape. Another involves a young man who suddenly grows to fear her girlfriend when she reveals all the horrible things she did to the last man who tried to break up with her. Wild stuff.

• The Crucible previews  Mar 2 2016, 06:44:44 AM

Yeah, Abigail Williams is an important part of the play, and a memorable one, but it's not a particularly large part. The popular film version used the character more.

• Call me odd... most disturbing plays?  Mar 2 2016, 06:39:33 AM

If you count musicals, as well, Nevermore: The Imaginary Life and Mysterious Death of Edgar Allan Poe

I'm also throwing my hat behind The Pillowman.

• The Crucible previews  Mar 1 2016, 11:44:06 AM

Thanks for the lottery info, good people. Hoping to win for either performance on Saturday. Love The Crucible and a good chunk of this cast. 

• DISASTERPreviews  Feb 26 2016, 08:39:57 AM

Yeah, most schools would cast every single ensemble role as a different actor, plus have non-speaking ensemble for crowd scenes. The style of music lends itself to bigger choreography numbers, as well.

It doesn't matter if the kids don't like the music, being able to say it features songs people might recognize in advertising would help. I mean, the first question I get about any show I music direct for a school is "What songs would I know?" Good or not, full song or s

• DISASTERPreviews  Feb 25 2016, 12:38:44 PM

I do see a licensing future for this at the high school level. Large ensemble cast comedy with minimum set requirements and recognizable songs? Licensing companies love to push jukebox shows because they can charge more and justify it as covering the cost of the individual song licenses. Those factors will get it produced throughout the country for years. It might not be the top money maker, but enough schools wind up in the "we don't have one kid to carry the show, what'll we do

• First Preview of NERDS has been canceled  Feb 18 2016, 06:33:03 AM

Wee Thomas2 said: "trentsketch said: "They paid for a booth at NYCC in 2014 and were doing promotional photos with cosplayers to use in the marketing of the show. I wonder if they plan on still using those a year and a half later? I think they were handing out lens cleaning cloths with their logo on them? 

"

Do we know that they PAID for that booth?

I hope tic

• Carnival Broadway Revival?  Feb 17 2016, 06:38:29 PM

I do love this score, but the libretto is outdated at best. I don't even think you could present the show in a dark enough way to make the ending work. There's not enough depth to Lili to do a grittier interpretation like the '94 revival of Carousel. If someone committed to a revival with a new book, it could work.

But then, why not commit to writing a new show about a young woman joining the carnival and finding love in unexpected places? It's not like the good ele

• First Preview of NERDS has been canceled  Feb 17 2016, 11:51:16 AM

They paid for a booth at NYCC in 2014 and were doing promotional photos with cosplayers to use in the marketing of the show. I wonder if they plan on still using those a year and a half later? I think they were handing out lens cleaning cloths with their logo on them? 

• Cats allegedly headed for big screen  Feb 9 2016, 01:21:00 PM

I actually think a film version could work very well. The whole show is spectacle. A film can go so much further with special effects and locations and just commit to presenting these songs as wild as the original production. It could even have an anthology feel to it, presenting the different songs as self contained short films about the cats singing them, tying them to the junkyard as a framing device. 

Now, I don't think Tom Hooper is the director to go with, but I don't

BROADWAYWORLD TV