Profile for jayinchelsea

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld jayinchelsea
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: jayinchelsea
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: - - -
Favorite Show(s):

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • re: Worst Revival Ever  May 17 2017, 11:53:23 PM

The ON A CLEAR DAY revisal with Connick. Nothing could have touched the original with Barbara Harris and those amazing songs, but this was abysmal in every way.

SITPWG at Roundabout? Glorious.

Yes, MATTRESS was a complete misfire, a total bore.

• Pacific Overtures previews  May 1 2017, 04:53:47 PM

I appreciate reading the differing opinions of Doyle's work on the show, and I assume that Sondheim and Weidman have agreed to them. Doyle is a variable talent, imo; he truly brought THE COLOR PURPLE to life, but his work on THE VISIT, which I saw years ago at Signature and loved, did not help the piece at all.

PACIFIC OVERTURES is a difficult show; over the years I have come to admire and even love it. I am seeing it later this month, and am hopeful that this version respects

• Cate Blanchett as Margo Channing in ALL ABOUT EVE  Apr 28 2017, 02:21:36 AM

Hopefully this will die where it begins. The director is not the second coming, and why doesn't he pick on someone else, for example, Neil Simon? His work reminds me of theatre 20-odd years ago, when every "serious" play ended with deconstruction. Nothing really revolutionary, just pretentious. And no, Arthur Miller would not have applauded what has been done, and neither would Joe Mankiewicz.

• CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018  Apr 17 2017, 03:12:06 PM

Sure that Henry and Mueller will be fine, but have been hoping that someone would do CAROUSEL with Pasquale and Osnes, who were amazing in the Lyric Opera production. And if that had not been totally misdirected by the awful Rob Ashford, we would have gotten this much sooner. Here is the clip from youtube of the "bench scene" from Chicago, and watching it makes me wish for Steven and Laura to do these roles.

https://www.yo

• Pacific Overtures previews  Apr 14 2017, 03:34:41 PM

I am so heartsick to hear these comments about PO. While it is not my favorite Sondheim show (I've been watching it since its tryout in Boston in 1975), it sounds as though Doyle has eviscerated the show. And I love watching the original on youtube. Hoping that Weidman can effect some changes on what Doyle has wrongheadedly wrought.

• Why Did Wicked Lose Best Musical?  Apr 14 2017, 03:12:07 PM

The PR folk at AVENUE Q ran a brilliant campaign, and it rightfully won over WICKED, which is a loud, bloated musical loaded with Stephen Schwartz anthems (yes, I like "For Good" too, but not much else). AVENUE Q, may I remind everyone, is still running, albeit off-Broadway, after doing 2534 performances on Broadway, and it has already racked up several thousand more at New World Stages. So take that, WICKED!

• THE LITTLE FOXES Previews  Apr 7 2017, 11:55:22 AM

For a bit more background on this play: I saw the famous Mike Nichols staging at Lincoln Center back in the 1960s, and Anne Bancroft as Regina and Margaret Leighton as Birdie were memorable (as was George C. Scott as Ben). The next major production with Elizabeth Taylor was better than anyone expected (her non-award-acceptance speech at the Tonys was hilarious), and although Maureen Stapleton as Birdie was the standout, Taylor held her own. The last LC production with Stockard Channing as Reg

• WAR PAINT Reviews  Apr 7 2017, 11:35:46 AM

After reading all the reviews, this sounds pretty much like the show I saw last year in Chicago. Long, uninvolving book, pedestrian songs, dull musical staging. It's about the women, and while they are both terrific, there's really nothing for them to play but stereotypes. Reviews were better than expected, but once the target audience has been exhausted, who's going to plunk down full price for this show? And stating that it's better than DEH...what kind of drugs are you on?

• CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews  Mar 31 2017, 01:51:30 PM

Well, even if the show is as bad as many of you say it is, and it gets correspondingly negative reviews, I still think it could have a successful tour. Look at the dreck of FINDING NEVERLAND, which somehow managed to last on Broadway despite negative reviews, and is now touring the country. There is a pre-sold element to this show, thanks to the book and the movie, and kids will want to see it.

• Sunday in the Park with George performances  Mar 30 2017, 04:14:48 PM

There has to be a recording of this production! And better yet, a video, perhaps for Broadway HD? It would be a shame if this isn't preserved for all of us and for future audiences. Yes, the original was glorious, and the last revival broke my heart (I cried so much at the final performance, we sat right across from Sondheim, we were all sobbing). But please keep posting about this!

• Aaron Tveit yes, CBS All Access NO!  Mar 22 2017, 05:45:25 PM

Love Aaron Tveit, have ever since NEXT TO NORMAL, but will not watch THE GOOD FIGHT, even with this great cast. I am outraged that CBS started the series on network TV, but now you have to pay to watch the rest of it on their cable station. Just think, now we can pay to watch 641 episodes of BIG BROTHER, bfd.

Aaron, come back to Broadway, we miss you!

• PRESENT LAUGHTER Previews  Mar 17 2017, 01:24:36 PM

Frankly, kind of surprised that the play is being revived again; the last revival at Roundabout was only seven years ago, and was no great shakes (nor was the Langella revival back in 1996). As I am now living out of NYC, and so many shows are coming in the next few weeks, my days of seeing everything are over, and PRESENT LAUGHTER is not on my list.

• HELLO, DOLLY! Previews (seat locations)  Mar 16 2017, 11:50:56 AM

I first saw DOLLY as a Brooklyn teen back in January, 1964 (and my tickets said DOLLY: A DAMNED EXASPERATING WOMAN, the original title, I should have kept those stubs), and two weeks later won a school lottery and saw Channing again, and this time met the wonderful Alice Playten (she had gone to school with my "date". Thus began my "DOLLY odyssey" which included Betty Grable, Pearl Bailey (several times) and Ethel Me

• WAR PAINT Previews  Mar 7 2017, 05:46:20 PM

Also saw this in Chicago, and expected it to be good trashy fun. It was not. It was dull and predictable, and the only "laughs" it got were from Patti's accent and malapropisms. I was not a fan of GREY GARDENS, although Christine in the second act was very special. Sounds as though little has improved since Chicago, when I saw the show at a Saturday matinee, filled with older women and a few gay men. The audience response was polite but tepid; even the final "confrontation&

• Student Tix  Feb 18 2017, 03:46:02 PM

Very curious to hear about this new production, which sounds as though it might be aimed at Broadway with its starry cast. Starts previews tonight at ART in Boston, anyone going to be there?

• NIGHT OF THE IGUANA at ART  Feb 18 2017, 03:44:27 PM

Reposted, sorry!

• SIGNIFICANT OTHER Previews  Feb 18 2017, 03:39:59 PM

Saw this at the Pels, and was surprisingly underwhelmed by it. Felt like one long cliche about being a 20-somenthing gay man, surrounded by a group of callow, selfish girlfriends. Went because of the subject matter and the mostly rave reviews. I love Barbara Barrie, so glad she is still active and amazing. but can't think of any other reason to see this again. Meh.

• THE PRICE Previews  Feb 18 2017, 03:33:30 PM

Saw the original (and thanks to Jim Brichu for his recollections), and frankly forgot that I didn't see David Burns in the play. But Harold Gary was great, and basically "stole" the show from the other actors. This is not one of Miller's better plays, as noted earlier. Noticed no one has mentioned Jessica Hecht, not one of my favorite actors and variable, to say the least. How was she?

• SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE in Performances (The 2017 Revival)  Feb 18 2017, 01:15:51 PM

Interesting to read the pans given by some to this production (and in the case of AfterEight, to the show itself), after it has rightly been given "masterpiece" status by most who have seen it, either in the original, the brilliant London production at Studio 54, or in this recent revival. Yes, I'm one of those people who start crying at the first notes, and seeing the City Center production was amazing, and can't believe some of the criticism I'm reading on this si

• SUNDAY IN THE PARK withdraws from Tony Eligibility  Feb 5 2017, 02:13:22 PM

Look, SUNDAY is a great show. It was great in its initial run, the first revival with Jenna and Daniel was amazing, and the recent concert version was breathtaking. Let's all be glad that we have this chance to see one of the great musicals of the 20th century, which is happening because of Jake, and stop carping at him, rather than being grateful. A whole new audience will get to see why this show is held in such high regard, and for many people, is considered Sondheim's masterpiece.