Profile for jayinchelsea

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld jayinchelsea
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: jayinchelsea
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: - - -
Favorite Show(s):

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • LES LIAISONS DANGEREUSES Previews  Oct 23 2016, 11:27:59 PM

Great production, great acting across the board. Paid full price (discounted seats were not good), but even in the second row mezzanine center, sometimes had trouble hearing the dialogue. And I think the ending (POSSIBLE SPOILER?) should have been exactly as it was in the film, since both this adaptation and the screenplay were by Christopher Hampton. Still very worth seeing.

• FALSETTOS Previews  Oct 23 2016, 11:15:23 PM

I have seen all parts of this show over the years, from the earliest incarnation, IN TROUSERS, through MARCH OF THE FALSETTOS, FALLSETTOLAND and finally FALSETTOS. Yes, I love the show, but I admit that I wonder how much resonance it has to LGBT or non-LGBT audiences who know little or nothing of the age of AIDS. For me, having lost my husband and most of my friends to AIDS, and having been a member of the NYC Gay Men's Chorus during this terrible time, it is impossible to watch this beau

• Where are the comments on previewing shows?  Oct 15 2016, 11:38:13 AM

This seems to be a pattern, but why have the comments about THE CHERRY ORCHARD and FALSETTOS and PLENTY stopped being posted? After the first few previews (which are not always indicative of how good or bad a show may be), no one bothers to post comments. I'm seeing later previews of these shows, and had been looking forward to hearing more comments about how these shows are doing, now that their preview periods are in full swing. Come on, fellow Chatboarders, give out!

• WAR PAINT on Broadway  Oct 14 2016, 05:27:09 PM

Mister Matt said: "It was the highest-grossing show in the history of the Goodman Theater in Chicago.

I'm not surprised considering the tickets were the highest priced in Goodman history as well, which makes mention of the grosses nothing more than a sensational marketing ploy.  The real evidence would be in the net income (if any).  It's clear that a lot of money went into the design and God knows what the star salaries were.  The current p

• WAR PAINT on Broadway  Oct 13 2016, 10:53:46 PM

A dull, third-rate show with a mediocre score, and two divas in search of a musical. And this is coming to Broadway? Lupone and Ebersole were great, but cannot sell enough tickets in an extended run unless this show is extensively rewritten, especially the songs. Hope I'm wrong, and that it turns out great, but my trip to Chicago to see this was a waste of time and money.

• Will Amber Riley led DREAMGIRLS transfer to Bway?  Oct 8 2016, 07:13:19 PM

It's a pretty amazing rendition, she's already been on Broadway in AFTER MIDNIGHT (why doesn't that show up in her Broadway credits?), and a revival of DREAMGIRLS would be heaven, especially with her as Effie. If the London reviews are really good, watch for a transfer...

• PLENTY previews  Oct 6 2016, 01:33:10 PM

I love this play, paid Stubhub prices to get tickets, and think Ms. Weisz should be fantastic. Hope it will be in good shape by Sunday's matinee.

• Jake Gyllenhaal in Sunday in the Park  Oct 4 2016, 11:31:20 AM

SO glad I worked so hard to get these tickets. Became a member, was on their silly "queue-it" line, and when my number came up, there was an error, and I was pushed back to the end of the line! I was on the phone to the member office immediately, and though no one answered, left an impassioned message about what happened. Amazingly, they called back in three minutes, and offered me any tickets I wanted for the extension! As I am leaving NYC on the 26th, this worked out perfectly. Ha

• FALSETTOS Previews  Oct 1 2016, 12:36:30 PM

Thanks, Whizzer, going on the 21st, can't wait! 

• FALSETTOS Previews  Sep 30 2016, 10:27:37 AM

Whether or not I always agree with Whizzer on his opinions, I totally respect them, and have been waiting impatiently for his take on the new FALSETTOS. I too adore this show, and saw it many times (and had the privilege of appearing with the four principals, as a charter member of the NYC Gay Men's Chorus, when they performed "Unlikely Lovers," not a dry eye in the house). So yes, my hopes remain high that the current production can achieve the same level of emotional involveme

• Holiday Inn Opening Very Soon  Sep 27 2016, 08:54:51 AM

Roundabout seasons always have their ups and downs, but with the comments about THE CHERRY ORCHARD (which I foolishly bought advance tickets for, yipes) and HOLIDAY INN (which is clearly meant to be a cash cow for them, but sounds pretty bad), there is no way I will consider becoming a subscriber again.

• Bette's Dolly Cast Uninspired?  Sep 25 2016, 11:03:35 AM

Count me in as one who is thrilled with the casting (just saw Taylor Trensch this summer as Tyler Clementi in POSTER BOY, he was great and will be a great Barnaby, assuming he can dance), but also sort of shocked that there is NO diversity at all. That is so wrong in 2016, particularly when we have Trump and his kind to contend with. In the 60s a big deal was made when Pearl Bailey and company came to do the all-black version; have we really not moved forward at all? Colorblind casting should

• Just listened to  Sep 25 2016, 10:45:55 AM

I first saw the show at Williamstown, and because my husband hated the book and film so much, he refused to go with me. It totally killed me, and even without Kelli (the show had been written for her, but she was very pregnant at the time it played at WTF), Elena Shaddow and Steven Pasquale were amazing, and I remember being angry that Shaddow wouldn't get the chance to repeat it on Broadway. Of course, Kelli was magnificent (and I believe that Shaddow was her unlisted standby, is that co

• THE FRONT PAGE Previews  Sep 25 2016, 10:31:53 AM

I love John Slattery, but isn't he a bit old to be playing Hildy? He's only a few years younger than Nathan, and certainly reads older. But hey, glad to hear other posters think he's really good.

• Imelda as Rose coming to NY?  Sep 25 2016, 10:29:05 AM

Heard a rumor that one of the not-for-profts, either MTC or Roundabout, might bring in this production of GYPSY as part of their season. Of course, the great Imelda has just been announced for Martha in WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? in London. Any news?

• Laura Linney and Cynthia Nixon alternating in LITTLE FOXES  Sep 25 2016, 10:26:22 AM

Very intrigued by the double casting, both terrific stage actresses. Yes, I saw Stockard in that last revival, and her white trash performance was totally wrong. Best thing about that production was Brian Kerwin. I actually liked Elizabeth Taylor's movie star performance years ago, with the  great Maureen Stapleton as Birdie. And still fondly recall the great Mike Nichols production at Lincoln Center many years ago, with Anne Bancroft, Margaret Leighton and George C. Scott, amazing.<

• THE FRONT PAGE Previews  Sep 25 2016, 09:52:42 AM

I am now totally confused. Which part is Nathan playing? Is he Walter? Is Micah Stock playing Hildy? Would greatly appreciate someone posting a cast list from the playbill or wherever. Frankly, the producers have been very secretive about casting, other than listing all the actors above the title. Audiences will be mightily disappointed that Nathan doesn't enter until the end of Act 2. I keep thinking of the film HIS GIRL FRIDAY, and how perfectly cast, written and played it was, and how

• WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread  Aug 23 2016, 11:49:13 AM

LeTigre said: "Perhaps, JayInChelsea, you're just a curmudgeonly old queen. Obviously, the word of mouth--perhaps among women-- is fueling the hot box office; it's the highest grossing show in the theater's history.

• Guys and Dolls w. Rebel Wilson to Broadway?  Aug 19 2016, 12:22:23 PM

There was an amazing one-night concert performance at Carnegie Hall two years ago with a great cast: Nathan Lane, Megan Mullally, Sierra Bogess and Patrick Wilson. Now that's the cast that should do a revival! There are some clips from it on YouTube. 

• LES LIAISONS DANGEREUSES discount?  Aug 15 2016, 11:37:33 AM

Surprised that I haven't received a flyer on this. Is it selling that well? Anyone out there know if discounts are being offered? Thanks!

Backstage with Richard Ridge
Back to Falsettoland w/ OBC - Passing the Torch
Backstage Bite
BWW TV Exclusive: BACKSTAGE BITE with Katie Lynch and PARAMOUR's Ruby Lewis!
Turning the Tables
Randy Rainbow w/ FIDDLER Cast
  Chewing the Scenery with Randy Rainbow
SPAMILTON Takes Over at Broadway Sessions!