Profile for jayinchelsea

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld jayinchelsea
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: jayinchelsea
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: - - -
Favorite Show(s):

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • MOTOWN Will Conclude Broadway Run Early on July 31  Jul 22 2016, 02:02:01 PM

Do not understand how this show ran so long, and then came back. The epitome of what's wrong with jukebox musicals (55 songs? Holy s**t!), with a totally homogenized evening of watered-down songs that all of us over 50s know really well, but with no real sense of any song or period at all.

Good riddance.

• James Corden - general perceptions?  Jul 22 2016, 01:44:45 PM

Just before his TV success, Corden was seriously considering playing the lead in a revival of KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN, not to add to the metrosexual aspect being discussed. Sad he didn't do it, he would have been brilliant, and he would have gotten all the pathos and humor of the role, and sang it beautifully. 

• MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?  Jul 22 2016, 01:41:23 PM

Kelli was great in the concert version of MFL several years ago with Kelsey Grammer, but LB is probably a better choice now, and is a much better comic actress. Just saw Elizabeth Stanley in the tour of  BRIDGES and she found far more humor than Kelli did (of course, Kelli sang it like a dream).

• Cats Previews  Jul 22 2016, 01:35:11 PM

Unless the critics are honest this time around, you can bet that CATS will indeed be here forever. The Times gave the original production a very large pass. It is a one-song score (and I liked that one song more when Puccini wrote it first). Is there any question at this point that ALW is a hack? Each show he has written has one hummable song, and a great deal of dross. Even SCHOOL OF ROCK has only one song ("You're in the Band"

• THE HUMANS: really?  Jul 17 2016, 12:32:14 PM

I've been going to the theatre for more than 50 years now, and I'm still astonished that this play has garnered so much praise. When I saw VIRGINIA WOOLF as a kid, I certainly didn't get it all, but in subsequent viewings, I came to understand its importance as a milestone in theatre. Don't think I'll come to that "aha!" moment with THE HUMANS. I have seen countless variations on the "dysfunctional family" theme over the years, many of them far more int

• Jamboree - What A Mess  Jul 17 2016, 12:25:09 PM

I've read all the comments, and frankly left me confused. I had a good time, it was fun, great to see Sutton and Jonathan, loved the opening, loved most of what they did (not the Fred and Ginger, though), and still think Jeanine is extraordinarily talented. Like most of the new material. Thrilled that I was there. Sorry!

• THE HUMANS: really?  Jul 16 2016, 07:03:55 PM

Now that THE HUMANS has been pronounced the great play of this millennium, is there anyone else out there who found it a 95-minute cliche? We've seen these kitchen-sink dramas over and over for countless years, what makes this one so special? I never cared for or about these characters, not from beginning to end. Extremely well-acted, to be sure, and Mantello certainly stages it well on an atmospheric set. And although Karam is a favorite playwright (loved SPEECH AND DEBATE and SONS

• THE FRONT PAGE discounts?  Jul 12 2016, 04:15:45 PM

Thanks, got the code and the tickets I wanted!

• THE FRONT PAGE discounts?  Jul 12 2016, 10:54:17 AM

Tickets for this starry production have been for sale online for weeks now, and the box office is now open, but surprisingly sales are very slow. I've already bought my full-price tix, but need to buy more for family. Any news on whether there have been or will be discount flyers for this? Please post and/or pm me, thanks!

• Funny Girl UK  Jul 6 2016, 11:43:20 PM

Trying to plan my trip to London in early September, but am I now worrying about seeing the understudy to the understudy? I don't see any reason to wait until "no later than July 11" when this really is a crapshoot as to who will be playing Fanny. Calling Lainie Kazan!

• LCT'S KING AND I closes on June 26th ~ Discount Code  Jun 19 2016, 12:06:46 PM

I was sorely disappointed when I saw the original cast of TKAI shortly after it opened. Kelli, who was so magnificent in THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA and BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY, was less so as Anna, and the less said about Ken Wantanabe the better. But I love Marin, so I took a chance, and what a revelation it was. She was as good as she ever was, in splendid voice, and Daniel Dae Kim was great as the King. The whole production felt richer and more focused. If you can (and now that we know

• Tony's in light of Orlando shooting.  Jun 12 2016, 05:55:52 PM

Today's news is heartbreaking. But yes, the Tonys are important to so many of us in the the LGBT world, and the fact that the show will be dedicated to the victims and their survivors makes it that much more important that each of us tune in, say a silent prayer and continue to spread the message of love and community, regardless of the haters out there.

• Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!  May 21 2016, 12:58:26 PM

Why does SWEET CHARITY get dragged out every once in a while? I love Sutton, and would go see her do just about anything, but SC is a not-very-good show with some great songs and Fosse choreography, but not much else to recommend it. Is musical theatre so bereft that it has to serve up the same old tired shows? Don't think so.

• Remembering A TIME FOR SINGING on its 50th Anniversary  May 21 2016, 12:50:53 PM

Yes, I saw the original production. And while it can't hold a candle to the film, it was an enjoyable show, with some lovely songs and performances (Shani Wallis, Tessie O'Shea). And after having only the scratched-up vinyl to listen to, it's great that the show album is now available online, to be discovered by a whole new audience.

• New Conservatory Theatre's ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN SEE FOREVER  May 19 2016, 11:43:46 AM

Saw the initial revisal at Vassar, it was a total mess, made no sense. In the early 90s Burton Lane gave us the chance to do the original show, with some book changes, as part of our Opening Doors season on Theatre Row, with the brilliant Jennifer Prescott as Daily/Melinda. What the show has going for it is the duality of Daisy/Melinda, and the amazing score. The changes to the book in this new version are far worse than the original, imo.

• 'She Loves Me's' Zachary Levi dishes on the Tonys, Tom Hanks & 'Hamilton'  May 19 2016, 11:29:34 AM

He is just the coolest guy. I know it won't happen (I expect the HAMILTON guys to cancel each other out, and Danny Burstein to take the award), but for me, the best thing about the SHE LOVES ME revival is Zachary's performance. I saw the original many, many years ago, and i will never forget it, but Zachary as Georg is the true heartbeat of this production. His work is simple and true and unforgettable.

• Create The  May 12 2016, 12:03:51 PM

There IS precedent for nominating a "replacement" actor, when Larry Kert  was nominated instead of Dean Jones in the original production of COMPANY many years ago. So it has happened before, and no reason why it shouldn't happen again. Poor Tony nominators, having to see all those shows just to qualify. My heart bleeds for them...

• Way too early 2016 Tony predictions  Apr 28 2016, 12:27:32 PM

I have reviewed ViniFromBrazil's list and here are my comments (and yes, tonight's opening of SHUFFLE ALONG may clarify these guesses):

Outstanding Play
    1. The Humans
    2. Eclipsed
    3. King Charles III
    4. The Father
    (Therese Paquin was terrible, most critics agreed, and is not getting nominated for anything, imo)

Outstanding Musical
    1. Hamilton
    2. Waitress

• Roundabout to bring in Stauntons GYPSY?  Apr 27 2016, 07:12:15 PM

I've been watching GYPSY since the original production with Merman (who was amazing), through every New York revival, and I was still blown away by Staunton. One-note? Hardly. If you only saw the youtube finale, then you haven't seen one-tenth of what she did. I still think it's the best musical ever written, and that Staunton can stand tall against all the other Roses.

• Riedel on Psycho and Tony noms  Apr 27 2016, 06:59:18 PM

I think Miranda will be nominated, but will not win. He will get so much other "love" for the show and his writing of it, and his performance is certainly the weakest link in that chain. Personally, I loved Levi most of all, but think Burstein will take the top honor.

BROADWAYWORLD TV