Profile for jayinchelsea

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld jayinchelsea
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: jayinchelsea
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: - - -
Favorite Show(s):

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Kelli O'Hara & Kelsey Grammer to Star In MY FAIR LADY On Broadway?  Nov 26 2015, 10:04:21 AM

Saw Kelli and Kelsey do the concert some years ago, and they were both surprisingly good. No, Kelli is not totally convincing as a Brit (her undeserved Tony for Mrs. Anna notwithstanding), but she played and sang it extremely well, and Grammer really got it. Perhaps after his on-again, off-again Hook, he would relish a good role. Age appropriate? When has Broadway ever cared much about that???

• Fiddler on the Roof Previews  Nov 22 2015, 09:03:11 AM

No. If I have to read about something to understand it, it doesn't work for me. And I saw no payoff in it at the end. 

• Michael Bennett's Attempt to Fix  Nov 22 2015, 08:55:47 AM

Gaveston, I remember everything you do, except for them climbing over the debris. Great idea, though.

By the way, I just remembered one more production of FOLLIES that I have carefully blocked out, an earlier Eric Schaeffer take on the show at Signature, where, I think, all the characters were already dead and/or playing their own ghosts. Ghastly.

• THE UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG at the Public 1979  Nov 21 2015, 06:30:36 PM

Sweet, very slight.

• Fiddler on the Roof Previews  Nov 21 2015, 06:27:40 PM

Now that it's been explained to me (no one in our group picked up on this), I can see why Burstein was changing into costume. Perhaps I should have read this thread first...

• Michael Bennett's Attempt to Fix  Nov 21 2015, 06:12:38 PM

I've been watching FOLLIES since 1971 at the Colonial Theatre in Boston, 12 times in New York (including one of Hal Prince's several press openings, and the closing night, which is still one of the most amazing theatre experiences I've ever had in nearly 60 years of theatregoing). Also countless productions all over, including the sad stock tour with Vivian Blaine and Robert Alda (Selma Diamond as Hattie, not knowing the words of "Broadway Baby" and letting the company s

• Fiddler on the Roof Previews  Nov 21 2015, 03:32:24 PM

I never attend first preview performances, as there is quite enough to do just to get a show this large up on its feet, but out-of-town guests were only here for the first night, so we bought tickets and went. I will admit I am not amongst those theatergoers who think that FIDDLER is one of the great musical of the last half of the 20th century. Yes, way better than most, but so much of its enduring appeal is based on the original productidon, featuring Zero Mostel and the amazing Jerome Robb

• Discounts for ON YOUR FEET!  Nov 7 2015, 09:37:13 AM

Kind of surprised that there are still so many discounts for ON YOUR FEET all over the web. While the reviews were mixed-to-positive, pretty much all the reviews were written with "Quote me" in mind, and usually after the opening those discounts are pulled. Sure the pr staff for OYF are busily pulling those quotes for full page Times ads, but wondering if that will do the trick. Thoughts?

• OFFICAL: Michael Mayer to Helm West End Revival of FUNNY GIRL, Starring Sheridan Smith  Nov 1 2015, 12:37:10 PM

Very few people writing realize how dull this show is the minute Fanny leaves the stage, and that happens more often than one expects. As it hasn't been done in New York for nearly 50 years, not surprising that most people think that the movie is the template for the show. This isn't the movie, folks; Fanny is off stage quite a bit (maybe just to take an oxygen break), while we sit through interminable other numbers from lesser characters. Through the magic of movies, Fanny

• Dorothy, All of My Laughter  Oct 25 2015, 08:28:25 PM

Ms. Louden came to sing with us when I was a charter member of the NYC Gay Men's Chorus many years ago at Carnegie Hall. Arrived at the dress rehearsal looking like a bag lady, marked her way through her  song (Jerry Herman's comic insult song, "Have a Nice Day" and out she went. She returned at curtain time, glam as all get out, did the song with us, and then knocked everyone out of their seats with "Time Heals Ev

• SHE LOVES ME Casting  Oct 25 2015, 08:14:52 PM

Just as wonderful a musical as anyone could wish for. The original cast, led by Barbara Cook and Daniel Massey, was perfection; you can hear much of it on the OCR, which was one of the first to be released on a double album, and deservedly so (oh if only FOLLIES had been so lucky, but I digress). Have seen the show a number of time since then; one of my favorite productions was at Williamstown Theatre Festival, where Brooks Ashmankas and Kate Baldwin was as touching, funny and charming as cou

• KING CHARLES III Previews  Oct 25 2015, 08:07:24 PM

Sorry to be in the minority, but was mostly unimpressed. Act One nearly had me dozing; Act Two was better and livelier, but this still struck me as another king-and-country, do your best for England soap opera. Perhaps you needed to care more about British politics. Never quite decided if it was a comedy or a drama, so never seemed to be much of either. Piggott-Smith was good, but can see why he lost the Olivier to a better, more interesting actor. As for the play,  it all felt like

• China Doll Previews Thread  Oct 22 2015, 11:50:54 PM

Sethleaf2, I hear what you're saying, but after sitting through the last two Pacino performances on the Broadway stage, I wouldn't pay a nickel for this most self-indulgent and lazy of actors. Yes, he can still do it when he is provoked and inspired (ANGELS IN AMERICA), but the last 20 years of otherwise lazy, mannered, over bloated acting is unforgivable. Not unlike Robert De Niro, he is there strictly for the paycheck, not for his art. And yet patrons still flock to see him, at leas

• KING CHARLES discount code?  Oct 17 2015, 12:29:52 PM

thanks to all, scored my tix for next Thursday, can't wait!

• Happy 50th Anniversary to ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN SEE FOREVER  Oct 17 2015, 12:25:52 PM

One of my favorite shows, for its score and the amazing performance of Barbara Harris, whom I also saw several times in THE APPLE TREE and MAHAGONNY, during its short off-Broadway run. She was remarkable, unlike anyone I've ever seen. Also produced an off-Broadway revival some years ago, featuring the terrific Jennifer Prescott as Daisy/Melinda, and had the pleasure of working with Burton Lane, a great composer and a true gentleman. Kristen was great in the Encores revival years ago,

• KING CHARLES discount code?  Oct 15 2015, 11:33:14 PM

Does anyone have the code? The show has gone off broadwaybox and cannot locate the flyer I had.

• Remembering CALL ME MADAM on its 65th anniversary  Oct 15 2015, 11:56:30 AM

Saw the Tyne Daly one at Encores, and she was great fun (but hard to understand how she inherited two of Merman's signature roles). So glad the film exists so we can all enjoy her performance, which apparently was pretty much what she did on stage.

• On Your Feet! Previews  Oct 6 2015, 08:59:09 AM

WhizzerMarvin, thanks as always for your incisive comments. Whether in the long run, after I've seen the show myself, I agree with you or not, I am so grateful for your measured response. When someone says it is the best show that they've ever seen in their lives, I really have to wonder about their critical capacities. As someone who has been seeing pretty much every show for the past 50+ years, I would never make that kind of statement without having been transformed and transfixed by the m

• what show would you like to see on broadway and never will happen!  Sep 27 2015, 10:07:10 AM

Someone in a Tree2 said: "THE GRASS HARP--

Only know it from the OBC. Amazing songs, but the charm quotient seems way too high for today's audiences to find palatable. And who can match Miss Barbara Cook's shimmery heartbreaking soprano today?

I know it's not the same, but take a look at the Camera 3 production of THE GRASS HARP, only 28 minutes long but features original cast members Carol Brice and Ruth Ford, and about half of the

• Most Overrated Tony Award Winning Best Musical  Sep 27 2015, 10:00:17 AM

yankeefan7 said: "Just curious what Broadway fans think is the most overrated Tony award winning Broadway musicals. For the fun of it, pick one from every decade since you have been attending Broadway shows.

Easy to do:

1960: THE SOUND OF MUSIC (and FIORELLO!, still waiting for a first-class revival), over GYPSY