Profile for jayinchelsea

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld jayinchelsea
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: jayinchelsea
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: - - -
Favorite Show(s):

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • FALSETTOS to be extended?  Dec 1 2016, 01:29:27 AM

Any word if FALSETTOS might get extended? I know Christian Borle would be leaving for CHARLIE, but perhaps there might be a great replacement waiting in the wings...

• Les Liasons Dangereuses  Dec 1 2016, 12:01:56 AM

I intensely disliked the earlier Broadway production, especially Lindsay Duncan, who I found weak and ineffectual in the role. Thought the film was great, although Malkovich was perhaps a tad too slimy, but Glenn Close was as good as she has ever been. Liked the current production a lot, saw it at a late preview, and was surprised at its lackluster critical reception. 

• Lloyd Webber's Best Work?  Nov 11 2016, 01:55:43 AM

The ones he didn't write.

• A BRONX TALE Previews  Nov 4 2016, 01:17:04 PM

Not surprised by these early comments, but more concerned than ever that Jerry Zaks has been handed the directing reins on HELLO, DOLLY! Yes, it's an old-fashioned show, but in the best sense, and while it doesn't necessarily need a lot of shtick added to it, a brilliant comic director like John Rando would have been a much more interesting choice.

• Hedwig in Los Angeles!  Nov 1 2016, 08:16:34 PM

Just got my tickets for 11/25, can't wait to see Lena and Darren tear up the place!

• SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews  Nov 1 2016, 08:14:50 PM

And although most Sondheim shows barely pay back their investors, and business generally falls off after we Sondheim fanatics have been three or ten times, this would be very different. Audiences would flock to see Jake in a musical (yes, even a Sondheim musical), so come on, producers, get on the ball!

And yes, how amazing a recording would be. Of course, we know someone on this site has already made a recording, right? Don't be shy...

• 2017 NBC Live Musical is  Oct 28 2016, 01:02:39 AM

JLo is 56...hmm...how about Tommy Tune as Albert again?

• Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway  Oct 27 2016, 12:58:48 PM

Imo, the show is garbage, is not made any better by Glenn Close (whose small vocal range doesn't help), and frankly is hardly worth bothering with. 

• SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews  Oct 27 2016, 12:57:02 PM

Back in 1984, when SUNDAY was being introduced at Playwrights, I moved heaven and earth to get in to one of the performances. I had a tiny relationship with Steve (I was a charter member of the NYC Gay Men's Chorus, and he had not only worked with us twice, a master class in itself, but had given us leave to do all and any of his work at no charge), and wrote to him, begging for a ticket. He put me on a waiting list, but it didn't happen (and as we all now know, there was only on

• LES LIAISONS DANGEREUSES Previews  Oct 23 2016, 11:27:59 PM

Great production, great acting across the board. Paid full price (discounted seats were not good), but even in the second row mezzanine center, sometimes had trouble hearing the dialogue. And I think the ending (POSSIBLE SPOILER?) should have been exactly as it was in the film, since both this adaptation and the screenplay were by Christopher Hampton. Still very worth seeing.

• FALSETTOS Previews  Oct 23 2016, 11:15:23 PM

I have seen all parts of this show over the years, from the earliest incarnation, IN TROUSERS, through MARCH OF THE FALSETTOS, FALLSETTOLAND and finally FALSETTOS. Yes, I love the show, but I admit that I wonder how much resonance it has to LGBT or non-LGBT audiences who know little or nothing of the age of AIDS. For me, having lost my husband and most of my friends to AIDS, and having been a member of the NYC Gay Men's Chorus during this terrible time, it is impossible to watch this beau

• Where are the comments on previewing shows?  Oct 15 2016, 11:38:13 AM

This seems to be a pattern, but why have the comments about THE CHERRY ORCHARD and FALSETTOS and PLENTY stopped being posted? After the first few previews (which are not always indicative of how good or bad a show may be), no one bothers to post comments. I'm seeing later previews of these shows, and had been looking forward to hearing more comments about how these shows are doing, now that their preview periods are in full swing. Come on, fellow Chatboarders, give out!

• WAR PAINT on Broadway  Oct 14 2016, 05:27:09 PM

Mister Matt said: "It was the highest-grossing show in the history of the Goodman Theater in Chicago.

I'm not surprised considering the tickets were the highest priced in Goodman history as well, which makes mention of the grosses nothing more than a sensational marketing ploy.  The real evidence would be in the net income (if any).  It's clear that a lot of money went into the design and God knows what the star salaries were.  The current p

• WAR PAINT on Broadway  Oct 13 2016, 10:53:46 PM

A dull, third-rate show with a mediocre score, and two divas in search of a musical. And this is coming to Broadway? Lupone and Ebersole were great, but cannot sell enough tickets in an extended run unless this show is extensively rewritten, especially the songs. Hope I'm wrong, and that it turns out great, but my trip to Chicago to see this was a waste of time and money.

• Will Amber Riley led DREAMGIRLS transfer to Bway?  Oct 8 2016, 07:13:19 PM

It's a pretty amazing rendition, she's already been on Broadway in AFTER MIDNIGHT (why doesn't that show up in her Broadway credits?), and a revival of DREAMGIRLS would be heaven, especially with her as Effie. If the London reviews are really good, watch for a transfer...

• PLENTY previews  Oct 6 2016, 01:33:10 PM

I love this play, paid Stubhub prices to get tickets, and think Ms. Weisz should be fantastic. Hope it will be in good shape by Sunday's matinee.

• Jake Gyllenhaal in Sunday in the Park  Oct 4 2016, 11:31:20 AM

SO glad I worked so hard to get these tickets. Became a member, was on their silly "queue-it" line, and when my number came up, there was an error, and I was pushed back to the end of the line! I was on the phone to the member office immediately, and though no one answered, left an impassioned message about what happened. Amazingly, they called back in three minutes, and offered me any tickets I wanted for the extension! As I am leaving NYC on the 26th, this worked out perfectly. Ha

• FALSETTOS Previews  Oct 1 2016, 12:36:30 PM

Thanks, Whizzer, going on the 21st, can't wait! 

• FALSETTOS Previews  Sep 30 2016, 10:27:37 AM

Whether or not I always agree with Whizzer on his opinions, I totally respect them, and have been waiting impatiently for his take on the new FALSETTOS. I too adore this show, and saw it many times (and had the privilege of appearing with the four principals, as a charter member of the NYC Gay Men's Chorus, when they performed "Unlikely Lovers," not a dry eye in the house). So yes, my hopes remain high that the current production can achieve the same level of emotional involveme

• Holiday Inn Opening Very Soon  Sep 27 2016, 08:54:51 AM

Roundabout seasons always have their ups and downs, but with the comments about THE CHERRY ORCHARD (which I foolishly bought advance tickets for, yipes) and HOLIDAY INN (which is clearly meant to be a cash cow for them, but sounds pretty bad), there is no way I will consider becoming a subscriber again.

BROADWAYWORLD TV

HAIRSPRAY LIVE! Latest - TV: Good Morning Baltimore! HAIRSPRAY LIVE! Star Maddie Baillio Visits the City
Backstage with Richard Ridge
JERSEY BOYS' Mark Ballas
Backstage Bite
Thanksgiving Special!
Turning the Tables
Randy Rainbow w/ FIDDLER Cast
  Chewing the Scenery with Randy Rainbow
CHEWING THE SCENERY-Randy Rainbow Checks in with Liza Minnelli to Chat HAIRSPRAY LIVE!, Pence & More!
KID CRITICS
KID CRITICS at BLUE MAN!
BROADWAY SESSIONS
Open Mic'ers Bring It All to Broadway Sessions!

Advertisement