Profile for jayinchelsea

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld jayinchelsea
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: jayinchelsea
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: - - -
Favorite Show(s):

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!  May 21 2016, 12:58:26 PM

Why does SWEET CHARITY get dragged out every once in a while? I love Sutton, and would go see her do just about anything, but SC is a not-very-good show with some great songs and Fosse choreography, but not much else to recommend it. Is musical theatre so bereft that it has to serve up the same old tired shows? Don't think so.

• Remembering A TIME FOR SINGING on its 50th Anniversary  May 21 2016, 12:50:53 PM

Yes, I saw the original production. And while it can't hold a candle to the film, it was an enjoyable show, with some lovely songs and performances (Shani Wallis, Tessie O'Shea). And after having only the scratched-up vinyl to listen to, it's great that the show album is now available online, to be discovered by a whole new audience.

• New Conservatory Theatre's ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN SEE FOREVER  May 19 2016, 11:43:46 AM

Saw the initial revisal at Vassar, it was a total mess, made no sense. In the early 90s Burton Lane gave us the chance to do the original show, with some book changes, as part of our Opening Doors season on Theatre Row, with the brilliant Jennifer Prescott as Daily/Melinda. What the show has going for it is the duality of Daisy/Melinda, and the amazing score. The changes to the book in this new version are far worse than the original, imo.

• 'She Loves Me's' Zachary Levi dishes on the Tonys, Tom Hanks & 'Hamilton'  May 19 2016, 11:29:34 AM

He is just the coolest guy. I know it won't happen (I expect the HAMILTON guys to cancel each other out, and Danny Burstein to take the award), but for me, the best thing about the SHE LOVES ME revival is Zachary's performance. I saw the original many, many years ago, and i will never forget it, but Zachary as Georg is the true heartbeat of this production. His work is simple and true and unforgettable.

• Create The  May 12 2016, 12:03:51 PM

There IS precedent for nominating a "replacement" actor, when Larry Kert  was nominated instead of Dean Jones in the original production of COMPANY many years ago. So it has happened before, and no reason why it shouldn't happen again. Poor Tony nominators, having to see all those shows just to qualify. My heart bleeds for them...

• Way too early 2016 Tony predictions  Apr 28 2016, 12:27:32 PM

I have reviewed ViniFromBrazil's list and here are my comments (and yes, tonight's opening of SHUFFLE ALONG may clarify these guesses):

Outstanding Play
    1. The Humans
    2. Eclipsed
    3. King Charles III
    4. The Father
    (Therese Paquin was terrible, most critics agreed, and is not getting nominated for anything, imo)

Outstanding Musical
    1. Hamilton
    2. Waitress

• Roundabout to bring in Stauntons GYPSY?  Apr 27 2016, 07:12:15 PM

I've been watching GYPSY since the original production with Merman (who was amazing), through every New York revival, and I was still blown away by Staunton. One-note? Hardly. If you only saw the youtube finale, then you haven't seen one-tenth of what she did. I still think it's the best musical ever written, and that Staunton can stand tall against all the other Roses.

• Riedel on Psycho and Tony noms  Apr 27 2016, 06:59:18 PM

I think Miranda will be nominated, but will not win. He will get so much other "love" for the show and his writing of it, and his performance is certainly the weakest link in that chain. Personally, I loved Levi most of all, but think Burstein will take the top honor.

• Thank You for all the Bullsht  Apr 22 2016, 11:26:03 AM

The show doesn't work at all, except for Benjamin Walker. It is flat and undistinguished. To call this a masterpiece is hilarious. I went because of Duncan Sheik's work on SPRING AWAKENING, and was totally disappointed. And stop beating on Jesse Green, one of the few really good critics working today. 

But hey, other shows have run with lesser reviews, so you never know.

• Carousel at the Houston Grand Opera  Apr 16 2016, 11:24:04 AM

Apparently this is the same production staged by Rob Ashford in Chicago last year. Steven Pasquale and Laura Osnes were great, the production was terrible. How does Ashford keep getting hired? He has ruined three of my favorite shows (PROMISES, PROMISES, HOW TO SUCCEED and now CAROUSEL) and yet he keeps getting new jobs. How does this happen???

• AMERICAN PSYCHO Previews  Apr 16 2016, 11:18:02 AM

I stand corrected, a big hit at the Almeida. That doesn't excuse the show's lack of entertainment, nor its sledgehammered idea of "humor" (Helene York for a Tony? omg). And yes, Alice Ripley IS a Broadway star, and yes, it's always great that she's working, but please, do not tell me how "happy" she is to have what amounts to three walk-ons. I can only assume that the role was bigger originally, and had been cut down during rehearsals and/or previ

• AMERICAN PSYCHO Previews  Apr 15 2016, 11:30:56 PM

There is something wrong when the best songs in a musical are the real ones from the 80s. Don't get me wrong, love Duncan Sheik's work for SPRING AWAKENING, but his score here was a lot of white noise. As was the show itself, imo. Every few moments we got another 80s reference to laugh at, but that palled pretty quickly. Aside from Benjamin Walker, who sings really well and looks amazing, there were no real performances here, because it was just one cliched character after anothe

• Waitress Previews  Apr 15 2016, 09:45:40 AM

One long, pleasantly tuneful, forgettable cliche. And we have Jessie as a musical doormat once again, only this time the Tony prize will not be awarded to her (yeah, never got over Kelli NOT winning for BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY), when it belongs to someone else (Cynthia Erivo, get ready). Each of the stock characters does and says exactly what you expect them to; this is one long predictable ride to the finish. The best moment belongs to the amazing Chris Fitzgerald, who has less than nothin

• SHE LOVES ME through the years  Apr 2 2016, 10:14:22 AM

I've been watching SLM since it first opened in 1963 with the dream cast led by Barbara Cook, Barbara Baxley, Daniel Massey and Jack Cassidy, beautifully directed by Harold Prince. Although mostly loved by the critics, the show did not catch on and only made it to 300 performances. I've seen it many times since then, and must confess to being bewildered by the raves for the current production, directed and staged within an inch of its life, as though it were afraid the audience might

• The Robber Bridegroom (Previews)  Mar 9 2016, 08:14:47 AM

Great fun, far more wild and woolly than I remember the original being, and that would be thanks to Timbers' direction and the terrific cast. Not as keen as many about Kritzer, who chews the scenery (a la Mary Testa and Jackie Hoffman in XANADU), and sometimes seems to ad lib her shtick, while the other actors wait for her to stop. Yes, the audience laughed a lot and loved her, just felt she had watched one too many Carol Burnett shows. And yes, "Sleepy Man," a favorite song tha

• Remembering WAIT A MINIM! on its 50th Anniversary  Mar 9 2016, 08:04:43 AM

A great show, and a great OCR to remember it by. I admit I hadn't thought of it in a while, but looking back on its 50th anniversary is quite wonderful, and thanks for all those great memories (and photos).

• THE ROYALE (previews)  Mar 6 2016, 09:55:29 AM

I liked it more than I expected to, boxing is of no interest to me. But the cast was very good and well-drilled (although the clapping got on my nerves), and as it progressed it became more interesting. At around 45 minutes in, I thought "where is Montego Glover?" And shortly after she appears, and she was very good. The play is couched at times but worth a view, especially with the high level of acting.

• Carnival Broadway Revival?  Feb 17 2016, 10:25:11 AM

Totally disagree with the opinion that the show couldn't work today. It has been some years, but Disney did a workshop of it a while back, and Roundabout did a wonderful semi-staged reading with Howard McGillin and Sarah Uriarte Berry around the same time. There was a production in DC some years ago, but that never materialized here either. It is a beautiful show, a great Bob Merrill score, Gower Champion staged a truly magical production in the 1960-61 season (the Encores production real

• HUGHIE Previews  Feb 9 2016, 02:37:26 PM

Have seen the play twice in my lifetime: many years ago with the great Jason Robards, and then some years later with Ben Gazzara, also a fine actor. I can understand why actors like this play, it is really a very long monologue. Sure Whitaker will be fine, but don't need to see it a third time.

• Brian Bedford has passed away  Jan 13 2016, 11:05:19 PM

I first started watching Brian Bedford when we were both young, in 1963 in Peter Shaffer's THE PRIVATE EAR, and he was wonderful, funny and touching. And luckily, I got to see him every time he returned to Broadway over the years, including his Tony Award-winning SCHOOL FOR WIVES. A great actor who will be sorely missed by anyone who knew his work. RIP.

BROADWAYWORLD TV

COUNTDOWN CLOCK