BroadwayWorld.com
Profile for LuminousBeing
Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld LuminousBeing
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: LuminousBeing
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: 4 - 20
Favorite Show(s):

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Happy Musicals vs Sad Musicals  Jul 20 2015, 10:21:33 PM

"I think MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG, while an inherently flawed musical somewhere in it's construction, has a juxtaposition of emotions I've never found in another show that's solely due to it's unusual structure. Having the jaded cynics age backwards into hopeful young dreamers is frisson enough, but specifically the "Not a Day Goes By (Reprise)" which manages to feature not just the repurposing of a couple's bitter demise into the (soon-to-be-thwar

• Happy Musicals vs Sad Musicals  Jul 20 2015, 10:06:38 PM

And I never thought that way about A Chorus Line's ending. That is amazingly interesting!"

Have you ever seen a professional production of this show performed live? Its tone is incredibly different as a complete work seen live compared to just listening to the cast recording (especially the OBC).

• Happy Musicals vs Sad Musicals  Jul 20 2015, 07:27:32 PM

"A Chorus Line" is something like that as well.  The finale number "looks" so happy, and "sounds" so happy, but if done correctly, it should make you cry.

"Follies," too, toes the line between happy and sad brilliantly--especially if you're just listening to the cast recording. So many upbeat songs compared to ballads, but even the "happy" songs read "sad" on stage if the production is a good one. "Mirror, Mirror," I think is the best example in that show.

• Fun Home Standing Room?  Jun 11 2015, 12:58:03 AM

I stood for "Fun Home" about a month ago. I agree with the other posters that it's an extremely comfortable standing room experience as they go, and that the view is spectacular. It's easily worth the $30!

• The Official 2015 Tony Awards Viewing Party Thread  Jun 7 2015, 10:43:39 PM

YES, Michael Cerveris!

• The Official 2015 Tony Awards Viewing Party Thread  Jun 7 2015, 09:30:29 PM

I guess Judy and Sydney split the votes. I was rooting for Sydney, but Ruthie Ann Miles was fantastic and Tony-worthy.

• Favorite Pro Shot Versions of Stage Musicals?  May 22 2015, 08:12:42 PM

Going back to the original question for a moment: one of my favorite proshot performances was of "Contact." I know many here aren't fans of the show, but I first saw it through an old VHS copy made by a friend years after the Best Musical controversy, and absolutely loved it. The third act does for me emotionally what "Company" takes the full length of a show to accomplish (and I LOVE "Company!).

• Official Broadway merchandise Sale!  May 21 2015, 08:36:13 AM

PMed you.

• On the Twentieth Century Audience Opinions and Stage Door Info  Mar 24 2015, 12:27:36 PM
    I saw James Moye's first performance, so my opinions are based on having seen the show during that somewhat tumultuous time for the cast. Like VintageSnarker, I understand there's love for the show here, and I certainly don't want to spoil it for anyone. All theater love is good love, and in this case, I simply don't share it for this show.

Overall, I didn't enjoy "On the Twentieth Century," and was even fairly bored during much of it--especially the big production numbers, which I felt
  • The King and I in May  Mar 16 2015, 10:35:24 PM
    "Fun Home" and "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" are not to be missed!
  • King & I Rush?  Mar 16 2015, 10:31:27 PM
    Thanks for the confirmation: at least I'm not crazy! Do you think that given that they're often misleading, that my contacting Customer Service would help me at all?
  • King & I Rush?  Mar 16 2015, 10:28:16 PM
    This isn't specifically about rush, but I thought this post made more sense here than in the "King and I" previews thread.

I purchased LincTix today for a performance in mid-May. When I selected the ticket, the description stated "this seat is in the first row from the stage." When I received the confirmation e-mail, however, the seat listed was J-113, which is not only not in the front row, but is on the very extreme side (the row ends at 112, so 113 is likely quite obstructed). Since
  • Silly question from a tourist  Feb 12 2015, 01:08:36 PM
    Sometimes after a last show, creatives may come out and make a speech or something, but there isn't anything markedly different in terms of the quality of the show. The audience might be a little more enthusiastic. Overall, I wouldn't say that the last show of "Cabaret" will be markedly different than any other performance, but because it's Alan Cumming, and because it's "Cabaret," it will be a great experience. Keep your tickets, and enjoy your trip!
  • Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread  Feb 12 2015, 12:42:58 PM
    I think the production is making a great decision, JMC is doing the best thing for his health, and it's indeed gracious and professional of MCH to take up the mantel for the week. It's just unfortunate for those of us who live out-of-town and cannot exchange tickets. Like I said, that's live theater for you. And MCH is FANTASTIC in the role and worth seeing!
  • Bad Theater Behavior  Feb 12 2015, 12:40:11 PM
    "Cabaret" had the worst audience behavior I've ever experienced. I was lucky enough to get a pair of HipTix before the cast change. The people sitting in front of me talked, waved at the cast (from mid-mezz--not sure why they though they'd be seen), bopped along to the music, and even blatantly filmed the Act II opening number with their cell phones until I tapped the prime offender on the shoulder and asked her to stop. It wasn't just the mezz, either: whole numbers were drowned out because th
  • Official JCM as Hedwig (2015 Edition) Thread  Feb 12 2015, 12:13:34 PM
    Count me as one of the folks headed to NYC next weekend specifically to see JCM. (I've seen all the other Broadway Hedwigs, all of whom were fantastic in their own ways!) At least we have the movie! Of course I'm disappointed, but that's theater for you, whether you like it or not.
  • Curious Incident Rush  Feb 5 2015, 04:38:41 PM
    When I rushed this show in August (third in line at around 8:00 a.m.), they gave the first rush tickets to the right box farthest from the stage, and subsequent tickets were given to the boxes closer (the sightlines are better farther back). I assume they then moved to the left boxes and started from the rearmost box. While this is a tech-heavy show, most of the action takes place center stage, and anything missed on the extreme ends is brief and Christopher is narrating everything he is doing
  • Mezzanine at St. James  Jan 12 2015, 11:34:53 PM
    I was lucky enough to get front-center Mezz seats for "Side Show" through TDF, and they were phenomenal. Have a great time!
  • SIDE SHOW closing January 4th  Dec 11 2014, 11:21:49 PM
    Such a shame. Luckily, I was able to get TDF tickets for this Sunday.
  • New York Trip Advice/Questions  Sep 17 2014, 05:03:05 PM
    Hedwig!

BROADWAYWORLD TV