Profile for ljay889

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld ljay889
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: ljay889
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: 8 - 28
Profile: I love Sondheim

Favorite Show(s): Chicago
Company
Follies
Grey Gardens
Gypsy
Into the Woods
Passion
Sunday in the Park with George
Sweeney Todd
The King and I
West Side Story
Wonderful Town

Favorite Performer(s): Michael Cerveris
George Hearn
Angela Lansbury
Patti LuPone
Luba Mason
Audra McDonald
Bebe Neuwirth
Kelli O'Hara
Ann Reinking
Chita Rivera
Gwen Verdon

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances  Feb 18 2017, 11:43:28 PM

James2 said: "The primary thing keeping me away from this production is the notion of a three-person orchestra playing my favorite musical.  To those who have seen it, how does the music sound with these orchestrations?"

This is how I feel as well. If it see it, it'll be for Norm and Carolee only. I am tired of reduced Sondheim. Thankfully the current Sunday revival has a full orchestra, two pieces larger than the original. 

• SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE in Performances (The 2017 Revival)  Feb 17 2017, 11:17:36 PM

I definitely agree the chromolume won't make or break the show, but it's more of a spectacle in this production, more than ever before. I don't blame others for wanting a good view of it, but it definitely won't ruin the show if it's partially obstructed. 

• Specific question about The revival of Sunday  Feb 17 2017, 08:51:40 AM

Read the performance reviews thread. This is not a concert production. In fact, the chromolume is the most extravagant we've seen on Broadway. 

• SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE in Performances (The 2017 Revival)  Feb 17 2017, 12:16:23 AM

According to Riedel, the production has a $7 million advance. 

http://nypost.com/2017/02/16/broadways-two-best-performances-cant-win-tonys/

• Riedel on Broadway's two best performances which can't win Tony's  Feb 17 2017, 12:12:00 AM

carayip said: "The article implied that Jake prefers money over a chance for awards. But somehow I doubt he actually gets paid much in this production, especially if they really want to recoup."

He publicly commented on this

"But don’t hold your breath for a Tony: The show ends its run April 23, before nominations are announced, so the producers decided to withdraw it from consideration. “These awards are partially about getting attention and

• SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE in Performances (The 2017 Revival)  Feb 16 2017, 05:21:12 PM

icecreambenjamin said: 

Also, I'm pretty positive that After Eight hasn't seen the majority of the productions that he claims to have seen."

I would definitely agree with this. 

• SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE in Performances (The 2017 Revival)  Feb 16 2017, 01:22:18 PM

Jake regarding the Tony eligibility.

The show ends its run April 23, before nominations are announced, so the producers decided to withdraw it from consideration. “These awards are partially about getting attention and making sure people see shows that are still running,” Gyllenhaal notes. “There’s no reason to usurp any of that.”

SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE in Performances (The 2017 Revival)  Feb 16 2017, 01:01:33 PM

The curtain call was JUST added. So Jake looking a little confused is forgivable. 

Also. I respect your opinions, but George isn't a happy go lucky character, I think Jake plays the brooding disconnect very well, I don't feel it's a lack of interest or boredom. And Jake looks great, why should they make George look sexier? The other characters find George attractive, but I don't think he's supposed to be a sex symbol. 

• SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE in Performances (The 2017 Revival)  Feb 16 2017, 01:57:31 AM

You're gonna love it

Another note, they changed the color of Jake's dress shirt in act two to blue, it closely matches the color of Annaleigh's dress, which is a nice touch. It definitely seems that they are tinkering with minor things throughout previews. 

• SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE in Performances (The 2017 Revival)  Feb 16 2017, 01:43:59 AM

No problem! In this seat you will miss some of The Old Lady and the Nurse in the park, as they are partially blocked by Jake at times, but I don't think you'll mind looking at Jake, lol. 

And don't worry about the chromolume, it's a really cool perspective from this seat. 

• SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE in Performances (The 2017 Revival)  Feb 16 2017, 01:30:12 AM

It's always great reading your thoughts, Whizzer! I agree with most of it, although I think I enjoy Ashford's Dot more than you do. I saw both Ben Platt and Jake today and this truly could've been an exciting Tony competition. I really wish this production was eligible, but I understand their reasoning. 

Regarding the second act, funny enough, I have seen comments on social media where people have been enjoying that act better. Like you, I've always connec

• SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE in Performances (The 2017 Revival)  Feb 15 2017, 11:12:42 PM

You are very welcome! I can't wait to read more opinions on this production. 

• SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE in Performances (The 2017 Revival)  Feb 15 2017, 11:04:28 PM

Well that was another beautiful performance. Orchestra c101 is a lovely view. It has a neat perspective of the chromolume but you may need to strain your neck a bit to fully enjoy it. 

The production is getting tighter. Jake and Annaleigh's chemistry is deepening. His voice is getting fuller on certain notes and it's just lovely. 

The projections were functioning properly tonight and they look fantastic.

Penny Fuller stumbled on qui

• SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE in Performances (The 2017 Revival)  Feb 15 2017, 09:32:40 AM

The brilliant orchestrations are by Michael Starobin, not Tunick. The instruments are same as the original production, but they did add a bass and an additional woodwind. 

• SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE in Performances (The 2017 Revival)  Feb 15 2017, 12:31:29 AM

Yes, tomorrow night I'll be in row C on the aisle! 

• SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE in Performances (The 2017 Revival)  Feb 15 2017, 12:20:40 AM

• SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE in Performances (The 2017 Revival)  Feb 15 2017, 12:20:05 AM

"other times it's simply a click for consistency's sake: say, for instance, so the live music lines up to timed lighting/automation cues."

This would certainly make sense as to why he may be wearing headphones for the chromolume scoring. Thank you for the info!

Sally, I also thought it sounded like the orchestra was slightly holding back, but I think it may be a conscious decision to hold back until the "Sunday" finales, as they

• SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE in Performances (The 2017 Revival)  Feb 14 2017, 02:20:07 PM

Somebody posted this on the show's Facebook and I don't think it could be worded any better. 

"A brilliant and honest production of one of Sondheim's beloved classics. Mr. Gyllenhaal and the rest of the company are superb. The simple yet sophisticated production design was the perfect frame to the talented artists that make the stage come alive."

'Honest' perfectly describes this production. It exudes so much warmth. If any of you are going ton

• SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE in Performances (The 2017 Revival)  Feb 14 2017, 10:52:04 AM

MinnieFay said: "This is a production that is best seen from the front mezz.  The first 5-6 rows in the orchestra are good for Act I --- but you're going to miss a major aspect of Act II from those seats."

Do you know If the new chromolume scoring is by Michael Starobin and is it all pre recorded? I know the conductor wore head phones for it which is a sign that at least some of it is pre recorded. 

• SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE in Performances (The 2017 Revival)  Feb 13 2017, 08:07:26 PM

:) I can't explain how powerful "Sunday"' is in this production. The extra chorus members must be filling out the choral arrangement, because the power is staggering. You are in for such a treat! I am so excited to read more opinions this week.