Profile for ljay889

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld ljay889
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: ljay889
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: 8 - 28
Profile: I love Sondheim

Favorite Show(s): Chicago
Company
Follies
Grey Gardens
Gypsy
Into the Woods
Passion
Sunday in the Park with George
Sweeney Todd
The King and I
West Side Story
Wonderful Town

Favorite Performer(s): Michael Cerveris
George Hearn
Angela Lansbury
Patti LuPone
Luba Mason
Audra McDonald
Bebe Neuwirth
Kelli O'Hara
Ann Reinking
Chita Rivera
Gwen Verdon

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Arden Directing 'Merrily' in LA  Dec 5 2016, 11:43:23 PM

the music sounds like '70s lounge music you try to ignore when you're on a cruise.

Wow, really? It's not a very strong show, but the score has three of Sondheim's (arguably) best melodies, "Not a Day Goes By," "Good Thing Going," and "Our Time." Don't think I've ever seen many complaints about the score. 

• Philadelphia's Academy of Music seating..partial view  Dec 4 2016, 10:32:20 PM

Thanks for the info! Does buying tickets directly at the box office save the convenience fees? 

• DEAR EVAN HANSEN Reviews  Dec 4 2016, 10:19:31 PM

Is there any discount code or rush/lotto for this?

• Ives and Sondheim at the public theater  Dec 3 2016, 03:41:04 PM

We've been tracking its progress here.. 

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.php?thread=1077313#4592103

• Jennifer Holliday to join THE COLOR PURPLE  Dec 3 2016, 12:43:29 AM

Yes, it's a very honest performance. She's never self indulgent, and she respectfully sings the score without overdoing the vocal riffs and tricks. I wish I could see her again, but I won't get the chance. 

• Philadelphia's Academy of Music seating..partial view  Dec 2 2016, 09:24:19 PM

Can I trust that a seat labeled  LIMITED COMFORT will only affect leg room? It mentions nothing about the view being obstructed, only leg room from the placement of the column. 

• Jennifer Holliday to join THE COLOR PURPLE  Dec 2 2016, 08:50:05 PM

I was utterly shocked by how much I enjoyed her performance, I was so impressed by her acting. Also, the "piss god off" line was definitely there, I'm not sure why it might've been missing in past Holliday performances. 

Maybe it was from being in the front row, but it was the most connected I felt to the production out of the 4 times I've seen it. Bre Jackson was stunning, and had wonderful chemistry with Holliday. Also Carrie Compere has grown SO

• SWEET CHARITY Revival  Dec 2 2016, 08:23:15 PM
    but I wished for more of a gritty interpretation

Good thing you missed the 2005 revival. It was a  hodgepodge of bubblegum, from the sets and costumes to the orchestrations and the rewrites. This revival is more faithful to the original production, but it's not a home run. It has the potential to be better, they need to fix the ending, and hire a new orchestrator. 

• Jennifer Holliday to join THE COLOR PURPLE  Dec 2 2016, 02:51:38 PM

I saw the show again on Wednesday and Jennifer Holliday became my favorite of the three Shugs in this revival! I fell in love with her interpretation of Shug. She was quirky, mysterious, but most of all she played it with so much warmth, more than Hudson or Headley. It was such a genuine performance, and I have such a new appreciation for Holliday and her great talent. If you haven't seen Holliday's Shug yet, make time to see her! 

• Cynthia Erivo off days  Dec 1 2016, 11:17:53 PM

I saw the matinee yesterday and Bre Jackson was absolutely stunning. Her Celie is in the Erivo/John Doyle mold, but she adds her own touches throughout, it's absolutely not a copycat performance. I was so impressed by her, more than I could have imagined. 

Also, it may be surprising, but Jennifer Holliday became my favorite of the three Shugs in this revival! I fell in love with her interpretation of Shug. She was quirky, mysterious, but most of all she played it with so

• Two Bye Bye Birdie Broadway Cast Recordings?  Dec 1 2016, 10:43:00 PM

I actually always felt Chita is vocally stronger and feistier on the London recording. 

• SWEET CHARITY Revival  Dec 1 2016, 07:40:32 PM

I saw this last night and liked but didn't love it. Sutton was extremely well cast and is certainly giving a star performance, she is absolutely the main reason to see the show. I really enjoyed the set, it actually worked quite well.

The good: preserving more of the original book than the 2005 revival, using the original staging with "Marvin" in the Soliloquy, adding Charity to Big Spender (fantastic change), and creating an entertaining "I'm a Brass Band" without a brass band

• The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]  Nov 30 2016, 12:51:02 PM

I finally saw Hamilton last night for the first time and was very impressed by the cast, but is the general conseus that Lexi Lawson is the weak link? Her performance was very underwhelming and it felt like a throwaway role until the finale when I finally felt something for her. Otherwise, Javier, Brandon, Mandy, and Nicholas Christopher were pretty amazing, none of them felt like replacements. 

• The IN THE HEIGHTS Film Adaptation Thread  Nov 29 2016, 12:47:45 AM

In an interview with Deadline.com, Miranda reiterated previous reports that the Weinstein Company has the rights to In the Heights,and Jon Chu is going to direct. But, referring to co-librettist Quiara Alegria Hudes, he said, “That one is in Quiara’s court right now, Quiara is working on the screenplay as we speak. The Weinsteins’ track record is really goo

• Arden Directing 'Merrily' in LA  Nov 29 2016, 12:12:01 AM

Nice to see that they have 12 pieces playing the Tunick orchestrations. 

• Gypsy transferring  Nov 26 2016, 12:45:22 AM

Her age doesn't bother me at all, it's the psychosis she plays from start to finish that comes off forced and unpleasant. Also,the weakened choreography, weakened orchestrations, and claustrophobic physical production really does not make me want to see this transfer. 

• Gypsy transferring  Nov 25 2016, 09:02:32 PM

Arthur is turning in his grave. He would have been horrified by this production. 

• Last I Heard...  Nov 21 2016, 11:59:14 PM

What the hell is happening? 

• SWEET CHARITY Revival  Nov 21 2016, 10:23:58 AM

Sutton is giving a star quality and possibly award winning performance. I am sure they can work the production around her performance for a transfer, which some of the critics suggested. 

• SWEET CHARITY Revival  Nov 21 2016, 10:14:15 AM

If anything, the biggest complaint seems to be the orchestrations. I see no reason why they couldn't up the amount of musicians to 10 for a transfer. They should really look at Joseph Joubert who did a magical job with 7 players in the Color Purple revival. I know Campbell is well respected and talented musical director, but Joubert is a more experienced orchestrator, although MMC's Company orchestrations were pretty fantastic. 

BROADWAYWORLD TV

HAIRSPRAY LIVE! Latest - NBCUniversal to Offer Inclusive Viewing Experience of HAIRSPRAY LIVE!
Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement
Backstage with Richard Ridge
JERSEY BOYS' Mark Ballas
Backstage Bite
Thanksgiving Special!
Turning the Tables
BWW TV LAST MINUTE with Randy Rainbow Congas to ON YOUR FEET!
  Chewing the Scenery with Randy Rainbow
Randy Rainbow Checks in w/ Liza to Chat HAIRSPRAY, Pence & More!
KID CRITICS
KID CRITICS at BLUE MAN!
BROADWAY SESSIONS
Open Mic'ers Bring It All to Broadway Sessions!

Advertisement