BroadwayWorld.com
Profile for ljay889
Edit Your Profile |

Click to Enlarge
Member Name: ljay889
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: 8 - 28
Profile: I love Sondheim

Favorite Show(s): Chicago
Company
Follies
Grey Gardens
Gypsy
Into the Woods
Passion
Sunday in the Park with George
Sweeney Todd
The King and I
West Side Story
Wonderful Town

Favorite Performer(s): Michael Cerveris
George Hearn
Angela Lansbury
Patti LuPone
Luba Mason
Audra McDonald
Bebe Neuwirth
Kelli O'Hara
Ann Reinking
Chita Rivera
Gwen Verdon

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • THE KING & I Reviews  May 24 2015, 01:03:31 AM

Yup, I thought the same thing. Wish this production would have left the Overture alone. 

• THE KING & I Reviews  May 24 2015, 12:35:25 AM

I agree. Why in gods name include The Royal Bangkok Academy over the act 1 finale and Lovers reprise??

• THE KING & I Reviews  May 24 2015, 12:21:38 AM

No Hello Young Lovers reprise is honestly unforgivable....

• THE VISIT to offer $19.75 seats through June 7th  May 23 2015, 10:33:44 PM

Nelis' voice is much stronger, but he does not throw himself into the role like Rees does. Still a good performance though.

• THE VISIT to offer $19.75 seats through June 7th  May 23 2015, 11:56:58 AM
    If true, that is awful news. I hope he's ok. He's wonderful in the role. I wonder if we'll get an annoucement on Tuesday?
  • The Movie The Visit versus the Musical The Visit  May 22 2015, 11:59:25 PM

"I believe this is recounted in the musical..."

Yup, basically. In the musical, Claire threatened to report how Anton had wronged her but he told her that he had friends who would falsely testify against her, and they did. The trial is reenacted with gruesome staging between the Eunuchs and Young Claire. Seems pretty similar to the movie. 

• THE VISIT to offer $19.75 seats through June 7th  May 22 2015, 11:27:49 PM

WTF is happening???

• Worst Experience Right Now at MATILDA  May 21 2015, 11:32:16 PM

There was a large school group in the loge at yesterday's matinee of THE KING AND I. Aside from hearing one or two "shushes," they were shockingly well behaved. I did not even realize a school group was there until I was leaving the loge.

• THE VISIT to offer $19.75 seats through June 7th  May 21 2015, 01:16:45 AM

Maybe "I Will Never Leave You?" I still think the beautiful choral number "Look At Me" would've been best. 

• THE VISIT to offer $19.75 seats through June 7th  May 21 2015, 12:49:16 AM

Whoa, a week! Chita gave Nelis an extra bow at curtain call, and gave him a kiss on the lips, lol.

I am praying with you, Jordan. She is just extraordinary. As John Kander mentioned at the talkback, it's astounding to see a legendary dancer play a role where she has to stand still for the most of the performance. It's an expert example of subtlety in a role where many actresses would turn it into camp. 

• THE KING & I Reviews  May 21 2015, 12:31:21 AM

I finally revisited the production today after seeing the first preview. Overall, the production is obviously much smoother and tighter, and clocks in right under 3 hours. Watanabe's diction has improved a lot. Some lines still get lost, but his singing is MUCH better now. 

Kelli's performance is even lovelier. She sounds absolutely glorious, and delivers a nuanced and honest performance. Unfortunately the role is not very flashy, which may ultimately hurt her Tony chances.&nb

• THE VISIT to offer $19.75 seats through June 7th  May 21 2015, 12:20:15 AM

Not sure what's wrong with Rees, but I believe he's been out for several performances. 

Tom Nelis did a very commendable job. It was a bit jarring to hear the character with an American accent, given I am very used to Rees in the role. Nelis is obviously a much better singer, and the songs did sound better with his voice. He also manages to get more laughs at some of his lines. Rees uses every fiber in his body to portray a broken man, and I adore his character choices. Nelis

• THE VISIT to offer $19.75 seats through June 7th  May 20 2015, 10:40:40 PM

It wasn't announced how to purchase them . I assume there will be a press release in the morning. I'm almost positive that Tom Kirdahy said it will be the entire balcony and rear mezz. I'd probably go with rear mezz. 

If you've been on the fence about seeing this show, this is a great opportunity.

• What song will they do at the Tonys?  May 20 2015, 10:14:50 PM

ATC says Fun Home will do Ring of Keys. Lucas is wonderful but I think it will be similar to the mistake Grey Gardens made by having Ebersole do Revolutionary Costume. It's hard to sell a solo on that huge stage. 

• THE VISIT to offer $19.75 seats through June 7th  May 20 2015, 10:09:25 PM

Announced at tonight's exciting talkback with John Kander and Lin Manuel Miranda was that the show will offer the entire balcony and rear mezz for $19.75 through the Tonys. The show is struggling so it makes sense to create some incentive for those seats that aren't selling.

talkback was wonderful. Kander and Miranda have been close friends for several years. There was also special appearances by Chita and John Doyle.

Also, Tom Nelis is still on for Roger Rees and

• Alex Sharp vs. Steven Boyer  May 20 2015, 12:10:52 AM

I agree, Cooper won't win, but he delivered an absolutely heart wrenching and powerful performance. 

• Audra's Vocal Range  May 19 2015, 11:26:38 PM

She does not acknowledge categories or boundaries in music. She is often called a mezzo soprano. 'I'm not,' she said. 'I have a chest voice and I can sing very low, but my tone, my timbre is more that of a lyric soprano. I can't stand categories. I'm like always hopping around, I mean not for the sake of hopping around. I just don't want to be boxed in.'

http://www.nytimes.co

• Alex Sharp vs. Steven Boyer  May 19 2015, 08:47:30 PM

^ SMH, because you are serious. 

I saw Taylor Trensch who I thought was very good. But Steven Boyer blew me away. I do hope to eventually catch Sharp.

• Fun Home- Comparing Albums  May 19 2015, 04:38:24 PM

Weird. Mine lists Emily for everything. 

• Fun Home- Comparing Albums  May 19 2015, 03:55:14 PM

My iTunes copy definitely lists Emily Skeggs. 

BROADWAYWORLD TV