Profile for qolbinau

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld qolbinau
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: qolbinau
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: - - -
Favorite Show(s): Follies
Gypsy
Kiss of the Spider Woman
next to normal
Sweeney Todd

Favorite Performer(s): Marin Mazzie
Donna Murphy
Bernadette Peters

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Jennifer Holliday's decision/backlash- her response on the View  Jan 20 2017, 02:16:07 AM

The woman voted for Hillary and she definitely did not have ill intentions. I wish we could forget and move on.

Lily Allen should sing this at the inauguration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFE6qQ3ySXE

• Effie, I'm tired. It's all over. And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going  Jan 14 2017, 06:18:02 PM

I do find that this board is sometimes consistent with the stereotypes that right-wing people hold of left-wing people (emotions over facts; silencing or trying to silence any differences of opinions; calling sexism/racism/bigotry for behaviours that may not be as black and white as they suggest it to be). I do think this thread was an overreaction (it would have been different had Holliday said she actually supported and voted for Trump - we know that she doesn't). 

But w

• Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/8/17  Jan 13 2017, 06:18:19 PM

Yes I suppose when I look at the overall numbers and the shows that continue to churn through - it does seem to be 'working'.

I just ask myself sometimes how and wonder how long it can go on for.....if I think about some of my favourite shows in recent times (e.g., Follies, A Little Night Music, Grey Gardens, The Scottsboro Boys, The Visit, Bridges of Madison County, next to normal, Matilda, Bright Star, Caroline, or Change), it is crazy how so many of them failed to turn a

• Jennifer Holliday Hasn’t Committed Performing At Trump Inauguration??  Jan 13 2017, 06:03:48 PM

In the NYTimes Holliday was clear that she voted for Clinton. I would certainly cringe if any performer I was a fan of performed at this inauguration, but I see this as a far different situation than if a performer actually held crazy views (see: Christine Ebersole). This is a desperate career move on Holliday's part - I'm personally not sending her to gas chamber for that. 

I was thinking the other day how cool it would be if a performer sang something that was subtle

• Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/8/17  Jan 12 2017, 08:09:07 PM

"if you isolate the frames during which JHud was in the show and extrapolate it to the full run, the show still would not have recouped. "

Can you show that calculation? I'm not sure my quick calculation is consistent with that claim. Though of course such an extrapolation would probably be an overestimation anyway of the revenue as the Jhudd fans may have started drying up over time.

In any case, I do think this is yet another example showing how unsustai

• GROUNDHOG DAY to Take the August Wilson, Spring 2017  Jan 10 2017, 03:08:55 AM

Well for the most part, shows are financial failures - so they don't. But for the successful ones, the sale of more expensive tickets makes it possible - particularly when we are talking about heavily, heavily discounted tickets such as rush seats etc. or lottery tickets etc. 

Of course, that doesn't mean smart producers shouldn't set or adjust the pricing appropriately to account for supply/demand, within reason. But I just feel we need to keep in mind that this i

• GROUNDHOG DAY to Take the August Wilson, Spring 2017  Jan 9 2017, 04:29:56 PM

theatregoer3 said: "Adding to what others have said, I cannot believe the cheapest seat at this show is $98.75 with fees. This is ridiculous.

I paid $60 to see Hamilton when it opened - before all of the hype and before it was hard to get tickets...before there was such a demand. Why are they charging so much for Groundhog?! My seats to Sunday in the Park are cheaper as well and that has Jake Gyllenhaal and Annaleigh Ashford headlining not to mention a well-proven book and

• The Color Purple closing Jan 8  Jan 8 2017, 05:41:21 PM

I never understand why people feel the need to scream over the top of a performance they are apparently enjoying. For example, the last note was completely drowned out in praise. Do they want to hear themselves screaming over it or the actual final note of the performance? 

• What has been the worst January for Broadway closures?  Jan 1 2017, 11:50:26 PM

Call_me_jorge said: "Scarywarhol said: "The early Gypsy closing also robbed us of the ANNOUNCED filming for PBS and DVD. 

2009 was a nightmare. 

"

This upsets me.

"

This greatly upsets me too. We have had at least three filmings of GYPSY in some form or another and every single one of them has been disappointing in some way or another. 

• Sunset Boulevard officially coming back to Broadway  Jan 1 2017, 05:08:36 PM

God, things are still looking a little dire for this show. One month to go and look at all these free seats for the second preview (a Friday night, no less). I hope the show can last its scheduled run.

• discount codes for Hansen, War Paint, and Natasha...  Dec 30 2016, 04:31:35 PM

War Paint seems to be having the same problem as Sunset Boulevard - besides some (who I assume are) dedicated fans buying prime orchestra seats, nothing else is moving/appealing to a wider audience yet. I would expect a discount code before previews start?

• Debbie Reynolds has passed away  Dec 29 2016, 05:56:22 PM

OlBlueEyes said: "The American Heart Association agrees.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/Cardiomyopathy/Is-Broken-Heart-Syndrome-Real_UCM_448547_Article.jsp#.WGWQgVMrJEY

"

Didn't she die from a stroke? It's hard not to think it could be related to be re

• Hello Dolly Commercial  Dec 27 2016, 11:43:03 PM

I personally love the ultra-minimalism of it. Certainly stands out from practically all other commercials. 

• So long matilda  Dec 27 2016, 04:50:47 PM

Amazing show. America is by far #1 for musicals but this is a rare example of a British musical pulling it off. 

A children's musical that doesn't make me want to neck myself, with a meaningful message (if you have a problem in your life - fix it. No need to wait for the 'sun to come up' and win the lottery (aka a rich daddy billionaire)). Valuing intellectual curiosity and education - something that is lost on so many youth today (in my country, at least) &nbs

• The rockettes to perform at the Dons inauguration  Dec 23 2016, 04:18:15 PM

Call_me_jorge said: "For those saying the rockettes should be honored to be performing for the next POTUS, that's not how it works. The potus should be honored the rockettes are performing for him. 

The People shouldn't be honored to be in the presence of the president, the president should be honored to be in the presence of The People, especially The People who didn't vote for him-which is three million more than people who did. 

The

• Is Parade due for a Broadway revival?  Dec 17 2016, 09:30:28 PM

Could Jake G sing this score?

• Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson  Dec 15 2016, 03:28:18 PM

Also, did anyone really love Daniel Evans? 

• Rush tickets are not affordable anymore  Dec 14 2016, 04:21:20 PM

Maybe I am naive about the financial struggles of some people but is $40 really not affordable? Maybe it's not affordable every day or every week. But I can't see how anyone who has a job could not find $40 to occasionally spare and go to the theatre?

• Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson  Dec 14 2016, 04:19:21 PM

Jordan Catalano said: "It won't be the final performance. I find it impossible to believe that they won't announce an extension soon. 

"

I do wonder about this. If so, part of me is annoyed that shows continue to still roll out that old marketing ploy every time (limited run - STRICTLY 10 weeks ONLY). I suppose this production has already used it for the 'one-night only' concert.

• Gyllenhaal and Ashford to open SUNDAY at The Hudson  Dec 13 2016, 11:41:39 PM

After Eight is one of the funniest posters on this forum. I will never ever forget his comment re: fun home that children should be singing about tea, jam and bread. I was laughing out loud at his comment re:  Sunday earlier on in this thread. His skillful melodrama is far more entertaining than the bizarre trolls that can't string a sentence together and post topic after topic. 

Meanwhile, he has probably bought a premium ticket to the first performance of Sunday. I can&