Profile for qolbinau

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld qolbinau
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: qolbinau
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: - - -
Favorite Show(s): Follies
Gypsy
Kiss of the Spider Woman
next to normal
Sweeney Todd

Favorite Performer(s): Marin Mazzie
Donna Murphy
Bernadette Peters

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread  Jul 24 2016, 05:48:16 PM

schmoe said: "  I saw the show for the second time last night, after seeing it on 6.30.16.  After that show, I really liked it and thought that it needed few changes.  Seeing it last night, some small changes have been made for the better, but I still think that it is missing something.  This time I was not as aware of the two men not having enough to do.  The whole show has picked up the pace, which I suppose is natural, but it lacks some tension or stakes.

• Prince of Egypt Concert - Long Island  Jul 22 2016, 10:15:05 PM

I am always conflicted about this issue. At the end of the day, acting is acting. But there really does seem to be an issue with discriminating against POC when casting roles on Broadway and elsewhere, so we shouldn't be limiting their opportunities ESPECIALLY for roles that are POC. My ultimate wish though is that POC aren't just expected to only play POC roles. I want to see a black (for example) Rose, Mrs Lovett, Diana, Sally, Desiree etc. why do they only seem to cast POC peo

• MOTOWN Will Conclude Broadway Run Early on July 31  Jul 22 2016, 12:27:14 AM

I hope that War Paint doesn't transfer before the spring, mainly because I'm not confident that this is the best time of year to open a show. They will miss the summer rush and could open in a slower period (e.g. September/October), then will have make it past the winter till when I can see it haha (in the Spring). That said, with this particular cast and opening at a time where there isn't much competition, maybe it will be fine.

Grief has Dear Evan Hansen though - so

• MOTOWN Will Conclude Broadway Run Early on July 31  Jul 21 2016, 10:37:49 PM

CindersGolightly said: "qolbinau said: "LOL WOW!

It's interesting that the first time round they did quite well. But it doesn't seem like any tour that stops off on Broadway along the way does well. Hair, Bring it On, Motown, An Act of God (ok, this is not quite the same as the other three, so willing to concede if someone wants to challenge that). Are there successful examples? 
    "

"Bring It On" was a limited run that got

• MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?  Jul 21 2016, 10:35:39 PM

Do we know if this will be a new LCT production (if it happens) or a transfer of the Julie Andrews-directed production (Opera Australia)?

Not that it really means anything, but Opera Australia took to the LCT South Pacific around Australia. I wonder if they'd import something from overseas. 

• MOTOWN Will Conclude Broadway Run Early on July 31  Jul 21 2016, 10:33:01 PM

RE: Hair Broadway tour stop in the summer of 2011. I don't think there is any financial criteria that would suggest that venture was a success:

http://www.broadwayworld.com/grosses/HAIR

Playing to half-empty houses on severely discounted or papered tickets for practically every week. 

• MOTOWN Will Conclude Broadway Run Early on July 31  Jul 21 2016, 10:13:56 PM

LOL WOW!

It's interesting that the first time round they did quite well. But it doesn't seem like any tour that stops off on Broadway along the way does well. Hair, Bring it On, Motown, An Act of God (ok, this is not quite the same as the other three, so willing to concede if someone wants to challenge that). Are there successful examples? 

• Spamilton  Jul 20 2016, 06:45:39 AM

haha, "I want to be in the film when it happens" sounds pretty funny.

• WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread  Jul 19 2016, 06:25:40 AM

Ouch Nytimes . Positive for the two leads though and certain moments. 

• WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread  Jul 18 2016, 10:45:28 PM

KnewItWhenIWasInFron said: "Forgot to mention that I attended a pre-show talk on Saturday and the speaker indicated that was the first frozen performance (and that they were "out of rehearsal time", which would make sense since it opens tonight. Take it with a grain of salt, since he also said that no one knows if the show is going to Broadway and that Christine Ebersole was the original choice for her role. (On

• Javier Muñoz Love Thread  Jul 16 2016, 09:21:01 PM

Does anyone know how long his contract was? (1 year from July?)

• Javier Muñoz - the most famous replacement actor in Broadway history  Jul 16 2016, 03:08:18 AM

broadwayguy91 said: "For those who caught victor victoria on broadway when Liza Minnelli replaced Julie Andrews , how was the response like at the time? I read somewhere that LIza helped to drive up ticket sales , but I would love to read any first hand accounts. I presume that Liza would have been considered a 'famous replacement'

"

The grosses are on record. In 1997, the strongest weeks were the 4 that Liza were in the show. <

• Javier Muñoz - the most famous replacement actor in Broadway history  Jul 15 2016, 06:38:09 PM

Yes let someone get recognition when they deserve it. I find Jordan to be extremely funny too and he makes it fun to be here. 

• Javier Muñoz - the most famous replacement actor in Broadway history  Jul 15 2016, 05:59:14 AM

According to Playbill, when Miranda left a few days ago Javier became "the most famous replacement actor in Broadway history."

I'm putting this claim up there with that ridiculous idea that Hamilton is the only good musical in the last 50 years.

Will journalists say anything to get attention and cash in on the Hamilton hype? In decades to come people will roll their eyes at this claim. Well, maybe they'll say "Javier who", first.

I

• Stripped down versions of big musicals?  Jul 14 2016, 10:35:34 PM

I'd like to see do Doyle do A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC where not only do the characters play instruments, they are instruments. Desiree can sing "Send in the Clowns" to 'Frederick', the double bass with an off-stage vocalist. I expect a very graphic sex scene with Desiree and the double-bass. 

Desiree: Isn't it rich

Frederick: Are we a pair

Desiree: Give me your bow

Frederick: Don't stick it in there

• George Takei in Doyle's PACIFIC OVERTURES  Jul 14 2016, 10:29:23 PM

Exciting!!

• Cats Previews  Jul 14 2016, 08:28:39 AM

CATSNYrevival said: "TaylorF221 said: "The show was fantastic. I mean it is the CATS we know and love, but some of the new elements really bring the show to another level."

Without Growltiger it's not the Cats I know and love.

"

I love that it has taken 12 years old for your screen name to become relevant here haha :P.

• Daveed Diggs Set to Depart HAMILTON on Friday  Jul 13 2016, 09:42:33 PM

I don't deny that there are probably a small group of fans who are less interested in the show without the OBC...but I do agree with HogansHero that the vast majority of people interested in the show are interested in just that...the show. Hamilton is like any of the giants before it (e.g., Book of Mormon; Wicked; Chicago; Phantom etc.) - it's the show itself not any specific individual that is responsible for its popularity. It will continue to survive and sell out for years to come.

• WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread  Jul 13 2016, 06:36:42 PM

So I’ve ‘heard’ a couple of songs from the show. I don’t think I’ve had the experience necessary to provide too many thoughts (and feel free to stop reading there if you feel so inclined), but I will say that the leads seem very appropriately cast and the material highlights their strengths. I couldn’t imagine a “La Cage revival” situation (not that it ever happened anyway) where the leads would ever want to (or at least, could ever want to) swa

• Daveed Diggs Set to Depart HAMILTON on Friday  Jul 13 2016, 05:44:51 PM

Curious why morale would be bad backstage of this incredibly successful show. The only negative thing I can think of (which is consistent with trpguyy) is that it must feel a bit unfair for them to see so much cash coming through and only receive a tiny amount given they probably feel partially responsible (and are) for its success. This is the only thing that could explain unusual behaviour like a Tony Award winning lead actor suggesting on Facebook he might not be part of the OBC

BROADWAYWORLD TV