BroadwayWorld.com
Profile for qolbinau
Edit Your Profile |

Click to Enlarge
Member Name: qolbinau
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: - - -
Profile: I'm Australian (23-Male), but travel to NYC and catch shows occasionally.

Favorite Show(s): Follies
Gypsy
Kiss of the Spider Woman
next to normal
Sweeney Todd

Favorite Performer(s): Marin Mazzie
Donna Murphy
Bernadette Peters

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • THE VISIT cast recording out digitally today  Jun 30 2015, 10:58:18 PM

I'm so disappointed they didn't really include any of Chita's dialogue around the testimony etc... 

Also, it's so funny that "I must have been something" young Anton sings the big note (cf. first preview). 

• Gypsy recording ratings  Jun 30 2015, 07:30:47 AM

Like fine wine, olives and uncircumcised penises, Bernadette's voice is an acquired taste. 

From the NYtimes

"Working against type and expectation under the direction of Sam Mendes, Ms. Peters has created the most complex and compelling portrait of her long career"

"What may be the angriest, most disturbing version ever of 'Everything's Coming Up Roses.'

• Gypsy recording ratings  Jun 30 2015, 06:37:08 AM

I would rank them:

LuPone (great lead performance, supporting cast and quality)

Peters (great lead performance, decent supporting cast)

Lansbury (great lead performance, terrible orchestrations)

Merman (I prefer the way the stars above try to 'act' the role)

Imelda (I don't find anything particularly interesting about this recording)

Daly (terrible lead vocal performance on record

• Next to normal  Jun 28 2015, 02:37:35 AM

If I were listening to a truncated version of Next to Normal, I'd select the following songs (if you're looking for an even briefer selection, I've "**" my four favourite)

Prelude/Just Another Day**

My Psychopharmacologist and I

I Miss the Mountains**

You Don't Know/I Am the One**

I'm Alive

I Dreamed a Dream/There's a World

How Could I Ever Forget

Maybe (Next to Normal)

So

• Marin Mazzie and Judy Kuhn  Jun 28 2015, 02:32:06 AM

"If you make the keys low enough anyone can belt, so I mean technically, but no."

I'd like to see any legit Soprano belt the final "Eve Was Weak" note that Mazzie did or the few notes at the end of "Back to Before". I agree that Mazzie's belt is not quite that of say LuPone or Buckley's (at her peak), but there is something more unique about her voice than can be explained by simply lowering the notes, in my opinion.

• Dames at Sea Casting  Jun 27 2015, 03:01:55 AM
    "but DAMES AT SEA will likely cost about half the price to run. Much smaller theater, a cast of just 6 and much smaller orchestra. Probably around 400K a week would be my guess."

Have Broadway nuts increased exponentially? Just four years ago FOLLIES apparently cost 650k a week to run, and that was a massive production in terms of cast and orchestra. Next to normal with a cast of 6 was only 250k a week to run, approximately.
  • Marin Mazzie and Judy Kuhn  Jun 26 2015, 08:00:15 PM

Marin Mazzie IS a belter. That is what's so impressive about her voice. It's so versatile. 

• Kelli O'Hara out tonight?  Jun 14 2015, 04:40:33 PM

Great to her that O'Hara and/or her Tony Award appear to be a little bit of a draw. 

• Adam Lambert turned down Hedwig  Jun 12 2015, 09:33:27 PM

Wait, so is JCM actually Hedwig (i.e., is this show autobiographical?)? Or is that just another figure of speech that doesn't really make that much sense? 

• Hamilton ticket prices-seriously?  Jun 11 2015, 08:00:03 PM

At the end of the day, this industry will not survive on TDF prices. I suppose as an individual it's difficult to really make a difference (though no single rain drop ever thought they were part of a flood), and maybe it is indeed the case that some people simply cannot afford it. Also, I have on occasion paid dirt cheap prices to see a Broadway show because I wasn't particularity keen to see it at the time.  However, I do still feel a bit of conflict knowing that it's a bit hypocri

• Hamilton ticket prices-seriously?  Jun 11 2015, 06:43:18 PM

Well I disagree completely, I think the experiences are completely different setting in the Mezz vs the Orchestra. The sound is worse (sometimes over-amplified), the view is worse (it's harder to see facial expressions) and the audience I've found can misbehave much more in the mezz vs the Orchestra.

I personally don't think it's elitism, but simply wanting to have a good time. I see the value in paying a ****load of money to see Angela Lansbury 2 feet away in Driving Miss Daisy, o

• Best Live Performances You've Ever Seen  Jun 6 2015, 03:44:38 AM

I feel incredibly lucky to have seen the following live performances (not in any particular order):

Angela Lansbury in Driving Miss Daisy and A Little Night Music

Bernadette Peters in A Little Night Music and Follies

Marin Mazzie in Next to Normal

Alice Ripley in Next to Normal

Kelli O'Hara in The Bridges of Madison County

Amy Morton in August: Osage County

Geoffrey Rush - A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The For

• Dream Mama Rose's  May 31 2015, 02:50:40 AM

"I hate to sound like I'm ordering the kids off my lawn, but Mary Testa is 59 and Judy Kaye is 66! I think Judy walks on water, but I doubt she gave birth in her 60s!

Even Merman was only 51 when she opened in the role."

Surely being 51 years old in 1959 is a lot different to being 51 years old over 50 years later, in 2015. 

• This is why Brits monopolize broadway....  May 28 2015, 05:26:38 PM

I think New York theatre IS the pinnacle of new musicals in the world (including Broadway and off-Broadway). No other city is even close to competing, including London. And I say this as a dual Australian/British citizen (I.e., I'm not a patriotic American).

• THE VISIT to offer $19.75 seats through June 7th  May 22 2015, 11:44:35 PM

I really think there is no hope for this show financially any more, unless it wins Best Musical. However, I am so glad they recorded this and I hope everyone involved is proud of their efforts. Has the Lincoln Archive stopped by yet? 

• The Movie The Visit versus the Musical The Visit  May 22 2015, 11:39:05 PM

"In the movie, however, a pregnant Claire brings her lover to court to prove paternity. In order to get out of marrying Claire and marrying wealthy, the lover hires two men (with a bottle of brandy) to lie in court and say they slept with Claire many times. They ran her out of town in shame and she became a whore in Trieste where she married the wealthy Mr. Zachanasian."

I believe this is recounted in the musical...

• SUNSET BLVD with Donna Murphy?  May 20 2015, 05:18:49 PM

Bernadette's voice is a thousand times stronger than Alice Ripley's at the moment. If Glenn Close can sing it, Bernadette can sing it. I know I'm bias but reports of Bernadette's lack of vocal ability are highly exaggerated, in my opinion. She can still belt, and she still has a wide range. She isn't in the same category of people whose voices are severely limited due to ageing or other reasons (e.g., Alice Ripley, Chita Rivera, Elaine Stritch, Angela Lansbury etc.). She is no LuPone tho

• 2010 Tony for Best Actress in a Musical  May 7 2015, 06:54:40 PM

Did Barbara Cook really say that? Makes me annoyed/bitter, given she was barely able to sing the song around the corner in Sondheim on Sondheim at the same time CZJ was singing it (although I suppose some people think that's the 'point' of the song, but still). 

That Tony performance was unfortunate. CZJ's performance will not go down in history as an iconic performance IMO (cf. Alice Ripley in N2N etc.), but it was warm, funny and elegant/glamorous. I miss that revival! 

• How long will The Visit last?  May 6 2015, 05:28:35 PM

Below the belt? I just mean descriptively. When theatre attracts an older audience, and the star of a theatre show is >80, it follows that many of the fans may be no longer be living. That's a bad thing, if I were to provide an evaluation. 

• How long will The Visit last?  May 6 2015, 04:19:15 PM

I do think a lot of Chita's fan base must literally be dead. 

BROADWAYWORLD TV