Profile for qolbinau
Edit Your Profile |

Click to Enlarge
Member Name: qolbinau
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: - - -
Profile: I'm Australian (24-Male), but travel to NYC and catch shows occasionally.

Favorite Show(s): Follies
Gypsy
Kiss of the Spider Woman
next to normal
Sweeney Todd

Favorite Performer(s): Marin Mazzie
Donna Murphy
Bernadette Peters

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Which musical should Lincoln Center revive next?  Jul 31 2015, 03:42:32 AM

"Ragtime may have been revived in 2009, but it was a pretty drab production that nobody really remembers."

So interesting for me to hear this summary of it. Back in 2009, I'm pretty sure people on this forum generally loved that revival and were pretty sad to see it close early.

• Hamilton didnt do it for me !!!  Jul 24 2015, 10:42:15 PM

Question: do you need to know anything about American history to enjoy this show?

• Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/19/15  Jul 22 2015, 02:44:35 AM

A couple of years ago there was a perception on this forum that shows would revert to B&W to save money in tougher times. However, obviously Fun Home is not going through tough times. I suppose they are just being economical. 

• The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...  Jul 20 2015, 04:01:04 AM

Chita's singing was obviously not her best work, and definitely something that is excused for her age. It's funny because I used to think her voice sounded strained in "Spider Woman", but listening to it again recently - she sounds like an absolute powerhouse compared to her vocal performance in THE VISIT.

However, (admittedly only having mostly heard rather than seen her performance), she was doing a fine job acting (both while singing and not), which is such a challenge for

• Revised CARRIE on Broadway?  Jul 14 2015, 06:36:03 PM

Given that some of the score is actually really good (the new In, Those Boys, Eve Was Weak, When There's No One, Carrie come to mind), I do somewhat disagree that the story is one that simply cannot be musicalised. I feel the problem is just that the writing is often poor at times.

I'm really thankful for the recent recording and Marin Mazzie's performance in particular. I personally feel the time has come and gone, and it's time for the show to be left behind in regional/community

• Javier Munoz Will Be Alternate in HAMILTON on Broadway  Jul 14 2015, 06:31:52 PM

"the particular problem is that Hamilton simply has no inventory with which to effect exchanges so all that offering them accomplishes is to make already disappointed people disappointed for a second time. And since anyone can easily sell their tickets at a profit if they want to, this is truly a no harm no foul situation"

I appreciate your persistence trying to explore the issues, but I'm not sure I can really buy the argument that the issue is they "don't want to ma

• Christiane Noll and Hugh Panaro in the Bridges tour?  Jul 13 2015, 10:57:15 PM

YES broadwayindie. Marin Mazzie and Jason would be my dream casting. 

• Roger Rees  Jul 13 2015, 07:53:33 AM

The Visit was filmed for the NYPL archives, without Roger Rees though .

• Roger Rees has departed The Visit  Jul 12 2015, 06:01:06 AM

The first post of this thread is a bit awkward in hindsight...

• Roger Rees  Jul 11 2015, 12:19:23 AM

Oh my god

• Javier Munoz Will Be Alternate in HAMILTON on Broadway  Jul 9 2015, 04:11:36 AM

I'd like to just discuss the word 'entitlement' briefly because I wonder if the emotion behind this word is making the situation seem to be something it's not. The thoughts about stage doors prompts me to make this comment. Basically, I do not think people are 'entitled' to see a performer in the sense that if they pay $100 it's their god-given right to see someone perform in front of them. I especially do not think that people are entitled to see a performer at a stage door (I pers

• Javier Munoz Will Be Alternate in HAMILTON on Broadway  Jul 8 2015, 07:16:20 PM

Similar to the previous discussion, that kind of comment is of course just an "asterix"-type disclaimer they would use to cover themselves in case it does happen because they don't want to lose revenue. But let's not pretend that they are not selling the specific cast, particularly the stars. Otherwise, why even announce the cast or put it on their website*? They should do it theme park style where you really are just turning up for the show and don't even know who the cast are.

• Javier Munoz Will Be Alternate in HAMILTON on Broadway  Jul 8 2015, 06:57:03 PM

And that is my point - they make that absolutely clear up front because they are disadvantaged financially any other way. I would say that in such a situation they haven't necessarily 'deceived' me (unless they knew in advance), but I would actually say they have 'wronged' me because they aren't providing the service that they said they would.

• Javier Munoz Will Be Alternate in HAMILTON on Broadway  Jul 8 2015, 06:41:45 PM

That point is extremely arguable. People in this thread alone have been complaining about Javier's performance-style in comparison with Lin-Manuel Miranda. And the service is more than simply a performance, but also features that are irreplaceable (e.g., the novelty of seeing a writer star in his own show). 

People keep using the word 'entitled' here in a negative context, I think it's a great word to describe this situation. Consumers should be entitled to see

• Javier Munoz Will Be Alternate in HAMILTON on Broadway  Jul 8 2015, 06:30:47 PM

"The only "rule" is the one on the ticket, which forms a part of the contract between buyer and seller, which states very explicitly that there are NO refunds or exchanges."

I guess at the end of the day I am less concerned with what they are obligated to do, and more concerned with what they 'should' do. When a show is suggesting they are providing a certain level of service but can't due to no fault of the consumer, why should the consumer suffer? 

• Javier Munoz Will Be Alternate in HAMILTON on Broadway  Jul 8 2015, 04:14:10 AM

"Simple fact of the matter is NO ONE'S name is over the title. The Theater, Box Office, The Producers, Ticket Master do not owe you anything. You took your chances when you bought your tickets."

I do find that whole "name above the title" thing a bit silly. Shows clearly can and do sell tickets based on cast members regardless of whether they are above the title or not. It works when it is convenient for the show to advertise a star below the title, but of course as s

• Spring Awakening is coming back to Broadway. But when and where?  Jul 8 2015, 04:07:05 AM

I wish the producers and cast success. It makes me feel so good that they are trying to showcase this production to a wide, mainstream audience. 

I don't know much about sign language, but it really does seem kind of beautiful/an artistic expression in this context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zSggUTZZGU

• Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/5/15  Jul 7 2015, 08:38:11 AM

I've posted this similar before, but how could FOLLIES cost 600-650k to run in the Marquis theatre with that cast and that orchestra, and Gentlemen's guide also cost $600,000? Now, I suppose FOLLIES was 4 years ago but still. Are prices increasing exponentially? 

• THE VISIT cast recording out digitally today  Jun 30 2015, 10:58:18 PM

I'm so disappointed they didn't really include any of Chita's dialogue around the testimony etc... 

Also, it's so funny that "I must have been something" young Anton sings the big note (cf. first preview). 

• Gypsy recording ratings  Jun 30 2015, 07:30:47 AM

Like fine wine, olives and uncircumcised penises, Bernadette's voice is an acquired taste. 

From the NYtimes

"Working against type and expectation under the direction of Sam Mendes, Ms. Peters has created the most complex and compelling portrait of her long career"

"What may be the angriest, most disturbing version ever of 'Everything's Coming Up Roses.'

BROADWAYWORLD TV