Profile for qolbinau

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld qolbinau
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: qolbinau
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: - - -
Favorite Show(s): Follies
Gypsy
Kiss of the Spider Woman
next to normal
Sweeney Todd

Favorite Performer(s): Marin Mazzie
Donna Murphy
Bernadette Peters

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • A Broadway Musical That Got A Foreign Culture Right?  May 28 2017, 01:27:54 AM

Kiss of the Spider Woman.

Just kidding.

• WAR PAINT - The Original Broadway Cast Recording  May 27 2017, 10:10:59 PM

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

• WAR PAINT - The Original Broadway Cast Recording  May 27 2017, 08:36:17 PM

MrsSallyAdams said: "I've just finished my first listen. I was focused on catching the lyrics when I saw it in Chicago. A few more listens and I'll be able to focus on the melodies and orchestrations.

Cons: I miss "A Woman's Face" and hate the chicken noises in "Dinosaurs." The leads get three ballady duets. They are lovely but I miss a brassy Bosom Buddies / Little Me / There's Always a Woman face off. 

• Overrated Musicals Of The Last Ten Years  May 27 2017, 06:25:35 PM

rosscoe(au) said: "It's interesting that some have just listened to a recording and than class the show overrated.

"

See your point but sometimes I wish I had stuck to the recording! I love the Hamilton cast recording but was utterly disappointed in seeing the show, which to me now feels like a machine with a thousand replacements and understudies that don't seem to have any connection to the show beyond executing what they are told to do

• Well, hello, Patti (LaBelle)!  May 27 2017, 06:20:23 PM

nasty_khakis said: "Lupone is willing to replace. She replaced in Master Class and actively campaigned to replace CZJ in A Little Night Music but Trevor Nunn felt she was all wrong for the role. 

I think she'd replace in this, but would probably demand the same deal Bette is getting (money, cars, perks) and shoot herself in the foot. But the point is moot since Herman said she was too ethnic, whatever that means.

Also, why would they n

• WAR PAINT - The Original Broadway Cast Recording  May 26 2017, 10:35:36 PM

She's coming she's coming she's coming She's herrrrrrrrerereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. 

It's even better on the recording because people aren't clapping over her singing. 

"Not now Mr Lewis. Have they had the Vienna youth mask? My exclusive Vienna youth mask". 

"I am proof that time isn't keeping score, behind the red door". 

We have not had better diva worship in a long time.

I wonder

• Has dreamgirls been confirmed?  May 26 2017, 08:50:09 PM

Dreamgirls: 2018 Broadway Revival starring Amber Riley's understudy. 

• WAR PAINT - The Original Broadway Cast Recording  May 26 2017, 07:18:13 PM

I'm not a fan of the music of Dinosaurs but it does have a clear dramatic purpose. Do we think even the message is a bit too heavy-handed? (Trying to understand if the criticism is about the message or execution, or both). The idea that they are from another era/haven't caught up with the times is a pretty clear theme with or without the song. 

• Riedel on Groundhog Dog possibly being in trouble  May 26 2017, 09:40:32 AM

In what reality is it hovering at 1 million Riedel? 

• WAR PAINT - The Original Broadway Cast Recording  May 25 2017, 06:25:23 PM

Due to timezone differences I've listened to the whole recording - it's a great recording. To my ears the orchestrations sound sublime (have they been expanded?) and we do seem to be moving further and further away from the years between 2004-2010 (approx). where cast recordings sounded so flat and sterile. 

I don't know if it will win any new fans, but there are definitely a bunch of great songs in my opinion that will make for some repeat listening: "Behind

• WAR PAINT - The Original Broadway Cast Recording  May 25 2017, 12:52:20 AM

I loved War Paint but if you haven't seen Sunset go! That orchestra and Glenn's performance cannot be missed! 

• WAR PAINT - The Original Broadway Cast Recording  May 24 2017, 09:11:10 PM

They won't perform it, but I honestly would feel incredibly embarrassed for anyone involved in Come From Away should their show have to follow a performance of "Pink" at the Tony Awards (or as much as I love her, if Bette Midler had to perform after the War Paint performance). I'd metaphorically pat the Come From Away team on the head and give them kudos for their cute show and heartfelt message, but it is a little bit like amateur hour in comparison.

• Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/21/17  May 23 2017, 06:06:30 PM

ljay889 said: "Mildred Plotka said: "I think War Paint is also appealing to women with the subject matter. Makes for a great girls night out.   

"

This is absolutely a contributing factor. 

"

Yes. I think Patti (in particular) and (perhaps) Ebersole's names have probably helped lift this off the ground and given it some great momentum - but the grosses have been so high

• WAR PAINT - The Original Broadway Cast Recording  May 22 2017, 06:19:50 PM

If they follow the recent trends could we expect an NPR stream any day now?

• Bette Midler: Why it took 50 years to return to Broadway ... and my 'unforgettable' visit with Carol Channing  May 21 2017, 10:24:38 PM

After Eight said: "A very interesting interview.

I was particularly struck by Midler's comments on what happened to the musical:

" "It changed considerably. It wasn't musical comedy anymore. It was more musical theatre. It became much more serious. I wanted musical comedy."

So did I. So did many. So did 99.9999% of the theatregoing public, no doubt. But our wants mattered not. Indeed, it was because of o

• Petition to get Majestic Theatre Renamed for Hal Prince  May 20 2017, 11:28:42 PM

madbrian said: "No disrespect intended toward Mr. Prince, but I think we need to name theaters after women. How about the Ethel Merman, or the Angela Lansbury?

"

Did either of those two women make as large a contribution to the American theatre than Hal Prince?

• La LuPone gives her unvarnished opinion of Donald Trump  May 20 2017, 08:35:59 PM

beltingbaritone said: "Maybe a silly question: where is the full interview? Has it not been released yet, or was it pulled off Broadway.com?

"

I can't find it either - and it looks like it might have been pulled off YouTube? (someone linked me to the full interview I believe and the link doesn't work anymore). 

• SUNSET BOULEVARD  May 20 2017, 08:34:35 PM

I would be curious to see Buckley but would be very skeptical if she could still sing the score (I saw her recently and I must admit I barely recognise her singing voice). I guess the same could be said about Glenn but no one had high expectations for her singing voice - for Buckley to see the decline might be a little bit sad to me. 

• La LuPone gives her unvarnished opinion of Donald Trump  May 20 2017, 07:40:33 PM

adamgreer said: "qolbinau said: "icecreambenjamin said: "Liza's Headband said: "I have zero issue with LuPones comments and agree with them. That being said, I would hope you'd all offer the same support of free speech to those conservative/republican entertainers out there (a small number exist).  I have no tolerance for hypocrisy and double standards -- so let's hope you all afford the same allowance to entertainers of an opposing po

• La LuPone gives her unvarnished opinion of Donald Trump  May 20 2017, 07:14:12 PM

icecreambenjamin said: "Liza's Headband said: "I have zero issue with LuPones comments and agree with them. That being said, I would hope you'd all offer the same support of free speech to those conservative/republican entertainers out there (a small number exist).  I have no tolerance for hypocrisy and double standards -- so let's hope you all afford the same allowance to entertainers of an opposing political view, as infuriating as many may find it. I