Profile for qolbinau

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld qolbinau
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: qolbinau
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: - - -
Profile: I'm an Australian male, but travel to NYC and catch shows occasionally.

Favorite Show(s): Follies
Gypsy
Kiss of the Spider Woman
next to normal
Sweeney Todd

Favorite Performer(s): Marin Mazzie
Donna Murphy
Bernadette Peters

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • American Psycho was SNUBBED  May 4 2016, 05:45:12 PM

Mister Matt said: "A lot of good stuff got swept away in the tsunami.

Not really.  Various shows were nominated for various categories.  American Psycho received nominations in some categories and not others.  It was not nominated for Best Musical or Best Actor.  Is a show considered "snubbed" because it was nominated for Tony's, but not all the categories someone may have wanted?  If so, then nearly every show is "snubb

• American Psycho was SNUBBED  May 3 2016, 06:30:13 PM

HogansHero said: "re AP's grosses-they are not perilous like some shows. They are within budgeted reserves for this point in time. Now is when a producer has to show what they are worth. See,e.g., Finding Neverland.

re outrage and the like: this is a theatre board. Outrage is in context. No one here labors under the belief that any of this is actually "important" unless they have skin in the game or a job on the line. Anyone who thinks the world has too many

• American Psycho was SNUBBED  May 3 2016, 08:57:06 AM

Not even best score? Sad.

• The 2016 Tony NOMINATIONS Thread  May 3 2016, 08:34:25 AM

Is it starting late or is it just me?

• Tony nom rants  May 3 2016, 08:23:34 AM

Bernadette Peters was robbed!!!

• The Official 2016 Tony Awards Thread  May 3 2016, 07:55:04 AM

I hope Bernadette gets recognised for her wonderful performance in FOLLIES.

• Does anyone think Shuffle Along might beat out Hamilton at the awards this year?  Apr 30 2016, 09:03:58 PM

Randomlink1 said: "qolbinau said: "If Hamilton did not win Best Musical it would surely be the biggest upset in Tony history. I just can't imagine it happening. Perhaps I'd enjoy seeing it happening if only to witness the response on this forum.

"

Calling Hamilton if it didn't win the big award the biggest upset in Tony history is a huge overstatement. Keep in mind great shows such as Gypsy, Into the Woods, West S

• Does anyone think Shuffle Along might beat out Hamilton at the awards this year?  Apr 30 2016, 08:47:48 PM

If Hamilton did not win Best Musical it would surely be the biggest upset in Tony history. I just can't imagine it happening. Perhaps I'd enjoy seeing it happening if only to witness the response on this forum.

• Broadway.com awards  Apr 30 2016, 08:27:41 PM

Sunny11 said: "But why do fans  get invested in certain shows/performers? Broadway wouldn't exist without a  paying audience so should their opinions be valued?

"

I think so, but I'd be more interested if the awards were representative of theatre goers. I think these awards are probably more representative of younger, internet-savvy types - but Broadway has quite an aged audience. This is same effect how if you only looked on th

• Which musical should Lincoln Center revive next?  Apr 30 2016, 04:52:58 AM

icecreambenjamin said: "I'd still love to Mandy Patinkin and Bernadette Peters tackle the leads.  I think that Andrew Keenan-Bolger would make a great Tobias and I'd love to see Len Cariou come back as Judge Turpin.

"

That would be a dream come true!

• Tony-Worthy replacement performances?  Apr 29 2016, 11:20:28 PM

mikem said: "Going back to Marin Mazzie in Next to Normal, I think she did a very good job, but part of the brilliance of Alice Ripley's performance is that with the way she sang, it all seemed barely in control, that at any point, it could all fall apart.  I thought that really worked for the character, and I really missed that when seeing Mazzie.  (I should add that I don't think Ripley was truly having trouble keeping things together; I think it was a b

• Roundabout to bring in Stauntons GYPSY?  Apr 26 2016, 11:31:35 PM

TotallyEffed said: "Let the Bernadette as Lovett thing go. She wouldn't be able to sing the score 8 shows a week.

"

So this particular issue has been discussed a lot in this thread:

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.php?thread=995481

But not to derail even this thread further (sorry all), I don't think it's as simple to d

• Roundabout to bring in Stauntons GYPSY?  Apr 26 2016, 08:28:02 PM

"Are you being just a teensy bit drama queen if you don't get what you want?"

Haha I'm obviously being intentionally dramatic for comedic purposes. I'd still be interested to see Staunton in the role, though I would be disappointed knowing that it would therefore never happen with Bernadette though (at least on Broadway).

"Has she talked about SWEENEY TODD publicly? It would make sense, it's one of the few Sondheim leading ladi

• Roundabout to bring in Stauntons GYPSY?  Apr 26 2016, 06:28:39 PM

Sorry but Staunton is NOT first in line to play Lovett in New York. I don't know if I could handle it mentally if that happened. Bernadette has been waiting in the wings to play the role for a long time. 

• Kelli O'Hara to depart King and I April 17, Marin Mazzie joins cast May 3  Apr 26 2016, 04:05:15 AM

Marin described her cancer as "in remission". Perhaps it will unfortunately come back to haunt her in future, but my understanding is that at the moment she has indeed been able to overcome her illness and will not be in the same situation as say Roger Rees who was very much fighting for his life while in The Visit

• Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets  Apr 25 2016, 06:14:43 AM

Oh sorry I didn't mean it like that. What I mean is, in my opinion premium seating only works when there actually demand for a show. Holding a bunch of prime orchestra seats that don't get sold until the last minute at a cheap price is a bit annoying for those that would have been willing to buy them at full (non-premium) price because they end up getting 2nd-tier seats or not purchasing tickets at all because they are dissatisfied with the seats available. I suppose many people who b

• Riedel on Hamilton $995 premium tickets  Apr 25 2016, 04:38:08 AM

I said this in 2011 (i.e., BOM days) but I can't see how this kind of economics is healthy for the wider Broadway economy - when people are spending thousands to see one show I can't see how they'd afford to or have much interest in seeing multiple shows (i.e., their 'budget' on Broadway shows would be spent). Though I have no actual evidence to suggest it is a negative thing for the wider broadway economy, and Hamilton is clearly bringing people to the theatre that probab

• Evita vs Hamilton  Apr 24 2016, 10:45:54 PM

I can't judge the productions, but in terms of the score I'd have to give it to Hamilton. I've always wanted to like Evita because there is a perception that it's ALW's best score, and while it has its moments, to me I just can't get into the melodies (except the obvious songs like Don't Cry for Me and Rainbow High). I don't know why, but it often feels jarring to me and I find Eva's part in particular to be very screechy/unpleasant. To me, it sounds like a

• Great casting replacements  Apr 23 2016, 08:42:39 PM

Also, Vanessa Williams in Kiss of the Spider Woman!

• I LOVE LUCY DURACK  Apr 23 2016, 08:08:03 PM

hahaha, would anyone here even know who she is? I enjoyed her in Wicked and Legally Blonde, but I am not convinced she can break the model of ditzy blonde girl and her voice seems to be very strained these days. When she sang "For Good" with Chenoweth at the Sydney Opera house, it was a little awkward to compare them. 

BROADWAYWORLD TV