Profile for qolbinau

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld qolbinau
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: qolbinau
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: - - -
Favorite Show(s): Follies
Gypsy
Kiss of the Spider Woman
next to normal
Sweeney Todd

Favorite Performer(s): Marin Mazzie
Donna Murphy
Bernadette Peters

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Idina as Mama Rose?  Sep 24 2016, 11:24:30 PM

At least the show might have a chance of making money this way. Her vocal style is quite inconsistent with anyone who has played the role in the past - I'd be curious to see but I don't know if it's a vocal style I'd want to see applied to this score. 

• Bette's Dolly Cast Uninspired?  Sep 24 2016, 11:22:06 PM

BWAY Baby2 said: "Big Girls Don't Cry- and yes ALL lives matter- and I think Black Lives Matter is an offensive group name.

"

I don't necessarily disagree with the idea that maybe we are getting a bit too 'PC' these days, but in the specific case of Black Lives Matter the slogan is not 'Black Lives Only Matter' or 'Black Lives Matter More' it is simply 'Black Lives Matter', in the same way th

• Just listened to  Sep 23 2016, 12:14:31 AM

Not to repeat myself as I've said this a few times, but the one couple I'd love to see take over these roles are Marin Mazzie and Jason Danieley. For novelty Jere Shea should come out of retirement and play the husband. 

• Vocal Dubbing in the Film Version of INTO THE WOODS  Sep 23 2016, 12:08:23 AM

I haven't actually listened/looked for the dubbing yet, but it would help explain why Streep sounds so good at these songs. A real shock after Mamma Mia! 

• Just listened to  Sep 22 2016, 11:38:30 PM

I dragged myself along to this show a few weeks after previews started because I knew I could get a cheap rush ticket, expecting to hate it because of awful marketing, no hype and knowing nothing about the source material. Was really, really blown away and couldn't stop thinking about the show the whole night. Was really happy when it won the Tony for best score. 

• re: Bernadette Peters as 'Dolly' in HELLO, DOLLY  Sep 21 2016, 11:13:55 PM

CindersGolightly said: "Oh qolbinau, I adore your passion for Bernadette so very much. It makes me so happy to see you talk about her. For your sake alone, I hope she's the alternate. What a thrilling Dolly she'd be.

"

Thank you. I know it might come across as a bit pathological sometimes, but I'm just a fan of her actual work. I don't, for example, even follow her twitter and I've never met her. I've only stage doored her

• re: Bernadette Peters as 'Dolly' in HELLO, DOLLY  Sep 21 2016, 07:57:09 PM

Yes, I could imagine an argument for not wanting to the alternate to start until after opening to keep the press on Bette (if the alternate is well known). At the same time, if it's someone like Bernadette and they have her start after opening it's also not a good look if someone were to re-review the show completely centred around Bernadette (whereas, if she started before opening the worst that would probably happen is someone might say in a review that they prefer Bette's alter

• re: Bernadette Peters as 'Dolly' in HELLO, DOLLY  Sep 21 2016, 06:26:52 PM

ACL2006 said: "regardless of who it is, they're not doing the matinees. Their one performance a week will be on Tuesday evenings & then filling in for any of Midler's scheduled vacations.

"

Is it this simple? There seems to be changes in schedule. For example, Tuesday nights are being sold in March and April but not Sundays. I hope to God the alternative starts from week 1 and not after opening. 

• re: Bernadette Peters as 'Dolly' in HELLO, DOLLY  Sep 21 2016, 09:05:09 AM

I never get some of the criticism either. People seem to criticize the state of her voice frequently yet somehow give a pass to divas who can't sing at all either late in their career or ever (e.g., Channing,  Stritch, Chita etc.) - I find it very bizarre. But I assume the general public are still on board given her frequent concert dates and given she holds the record of starring in the highest-grossing week of any Sondheim show ever on Broadway. 

• Leona Lewis Leaving  Sep 20 2016, 10:52:37 PM

Mr. Nowack said: "In Steve's defense, I had not heard this.

I don't follow those loooong replacement speculation threads that start practically before a show even begins its run.

"

I do find it interesting that in this case the search may have begun before the show did even begin its run. What kind of notable actress would be available with less than 3 months' notice?

• re: Bernadette Peters as 'Dolly' in HELLO, DOLLY  Sep 20 2016, 10:39:25 PM

Valentina3 said: "Mr. Nowack said: "Would a star, near-legend, of Bernadette's status really take such a position?"

I love her just as much as the next queen (probably more, I still cry whenever I listen to "Hang The Moon", but she's hardly a legend outside of theater community. 

"

It's true that up

• Hello, Dolly  Sep 20 2016, 09:41:07 PM

I don't understand it either. The only thing I can think of is that by dribbling tickets out you prevent ticket scalpers from gobbling them up all at once. 

• re: Bernadette Peters as 'Dolly' in HELLO, DOLLY  Sep 20 2016, 07:04:29 PM

And Broadway rumors have it that Bernadette Peters might be the one to play Hello, Dolly! when star Bette Midler can’t make it. If so, their ad campaign should be “Feel The Bern.”

Michael Musto:

http://www.out.com/michael-musto/2016/9/19/there-are-now-officially-too-many-drag-qu

• Hello, Dolly  Sep 20 2016, 04:59:06 PM

A few days ago I pm'd someone in this thread who appeared to know who the alternate was and asked whether it was Bernadette (pipe dream). There was no reply. Could mean nothing, but could also be confirmation if they don't want to disclose who it is. 

• Hello Dolly breaks first day ticket sales record  Sep 20 2016, 04:57:10 PM

nasty_khakis said: "It does get tiring to hear about box office records/house records/ etc when it's 99% ticket price increases. You can say Avatar is the highest grossing movie of all time, but Gone with the Wind technically sold more tickets, just at a dime each.

"

Of of course there is an important factor but I also get tired of hearing this because the fact that people are willing to pay those prices means something too. If

• Hello, Dolly  Sep 20 2016, 04:51:06 PM

I'll cry for her. 

• Hello, Dolly  Sep 20 2016, 04:44:02 PM

If Bernadette is their alternate, I really would have to consider that maybe there truly is a god. Or I'm the luckiest theatre goer in the world. 

• Bette's Dolly Cast Uninspired?  Sep 20 2016, 12:24:36 AM

LizzieCurry said: "qolbinau said: "It's Hello Dolly, not Hello Delores.

(just kidding). 
    "

???

...I'm not even sure what you were attempting here.

"

That's fine. For those that did get it: please note I am only joking of course. I have reserved a slot in my show calendar to see (hopefully) Audra, Queen L, Whoopi, or whoever is the alternate. I don't know if I'm in a minor

• Bette's Dolly Cast Uninspired?  Sep 18 2016, 10:51:42 PM

It's Hello Dolly, not Hello Delores.

(just kidding). 

• Hello, Dolly  Sep 18 2016, 06:09:47 PM

For one of the Saturday nights in April Telecharge is still saying no premium tickets are available. Are they actuay sold out or not released?

BROADWAYWORLD TV

Backstage with Richard Ridge
Back to Falsettoland w/ OBC - Passing the Torch
Backstage Bite
TV Exclusive: BACKSTAGE BITE with ALADDIN's Rodney Ingram!
Turning the Tables
Binge on TURNING THE TABLES!
  Chewing the Scenery with Randy Rainbow
TV:-LuPone's Autobio - Lands EVITA!
KID CRITICS
TV: KID CRITICS Swept Away at PHANTOM
BROADWAY SESSIONS
BROADWAY SESSIONS Goes 'Back to School' Tonight