Advertisement

Profile for qolbinau

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld qolbinau
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: qolbinau
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: - - -
Profile: I'm an Australian male, but travel to NYC and catch shows occasionally.

Favorite Show(s): Follies
Gypsy
Kiss of the Spider Woman
next to normal
Sweeney Todd

Favorite Performer(s): Marin Mazzie
Donna Murphy
Bernadette Peters

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • AMBER RILEY TO STAR IN DREAMGIRLS ON THE WEST END  Feb 5 2016, 05:36:58 PM

"You can't really put Jennifer Hudson in a list with Hugh Hackman and Russell Crowe. At the time of dreamgirls Jennifer Hudson was no where near those two in fame. Also I thought her Effie was beyond remarkable. She had that sheer talent when Hugh Hackman and Russell Crowe didn't."

Exactly, even comparing Hugh Jackman with Russell Crowe is a bit offensive (for Hugh Jackman). Those three actors are all so different, at least in terms of vocal ability. Jennifer

• West End taking away all the great revival musicals  Feb 5 2016, 05:21:04 PM

Yes. The West End do produce some great musicals (e.g., Matilda - acknowledging that it didn't exactly start in the West End, although neither did Billy Elliot). However, Broadway and New York more widely are absolutely the centre of the world for the production quality, innovative musicals. It's a great achievement and a badge that should be worn strongly and proudly. I am so proud of the creative output of this great city (nb. no patriotism at all, I'm an Australian and British

• Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/31/16  Feb 1 2016, 04:31:59 PM

We've had this discussion before, and I still maintain that obviously unless budged for a NFP cannot sustain ridiculous losses - the money has to come from somewhere. 

• Bette Midler will be raking in the $$  Feb 1 2016, 01:27:03 AM

It is a lot of money, and I doubt she 'needs' it. However, when the box office performance will likely be a direct function of her presence it seems fair for her to be receiving a significant proportion of that revenue. And as mentioned, it's relatively low compared with other entertainment mediums (i.e., Film and TV).

• Alice Ripley and Emily Skinner To Reunite After 9 Years  Jan 31 2016, 03:33:28 AM

I assume they mean in the context of performing together.

I'm enjoying her "As If We Never Said Goodbye". However, I must say it's hard for me not to see it as Diana Goodman playing Norma Desmond, haha.

• BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!  Jan 25 2016, 07:28:29 PM

What was management's policy towards attendees with disabilities? I assume they didn't have one (or this conflict wouldn't have been caused). The real people to blame...

• Did anyone else attempt the Hamilton Amex pre-sale today?  Jan 25 2016, 06:58:49 PM

I mean, it would be in the producers' interests to raise normal prices so that they take the wealth rather than the scalpers (indeed, I think this was the point of Premium Pricing in the first place). But turning off the feature - I don't know if that would help the situation. I think it would result in slightly less scalping volume, but higher average scalping prices on places like 'stubhub' and more dissatisfied patrons in terms of scamming, refunds etc.

• Bette Midler will be raking in the $$  Jan 25 2016, 06:13:40 PM

"Which none of them are star driven, all are new musicals ans non are revivals, once the initial furry dies town after a month, get ready to queue at the TKT's line."

This logic makes no sense to me. We have seen time and time again that high-profile stars can sell out (or come close to selling out) shows for extended periods of time. 

• Hillary's response to George Takei's invitation  Jan 25 2016, 06:03:56 PM

"I understand fully that nominating Sanders guarantees the Republicans the White House next year -- preventing that is far more important to me than how late Hilary was to the marriage equality party."

Obviously it's not just about that particular issue. Bernie presents a vision for the USA that involves real change and standing up to the establishment. Hillary is incredibly conservative (in comparison to Bernie) and is part of that establishment

• Breaking News: CATS to Return to Broadway This Summer; Andy Blankenbuehler Joins Team  Jan 24 2016, 08:31:06 PM

"Could a more age-appropriate Marin Mazzie handle it? "

Yes absolutely (assuming her health is in good order).

• BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!  Jan 24 2016, 08:01:37 PM

So which sessions were Stephen Sondheim, Bernadette Peters, Patti LuPone, Hal Prince, Jonathan Tunick, Chita Rivera, Angela Lansbury, Donna Murphy, Julie Andrews, Jerry Herman, John Cullum et al. in? 

• BroadwayCon 2016 - Experience reports!  Jan 24 2016, 08:01:36 PM

So which sessions were Stephen Sondheim, Bernadette Peters, Patti LuPone, Hal Prince, Jonathan Tunick, Chita Rivera, Angela Lansbury, Donna Murphy, Julie Andrews, Jerry Herman, John Cullum et al. in? 

• Hillary's response to George Takei's invitation  Jan 24 2016, 07:28:22 PM

My understanding is that Hillary did not publicly endorse gay marriage until 2013. 

• Deaf West shows that would work well  Jan 24 2016, 07:25:42 PM

PASSION

• Hillary's response to George Takei's invitation  Jan 24 2016, 01:52:33 AM

It's a lovely letter. However, I am very disappointed that George Takei endorses Hillary Clinton and not Bernie Sanders. Less than 3 years ago Hillary wouldn't have even supported his marriage?

• Hamilton Tickets - November 2016  Jan 22 2016, 07:21:54 PM

Oh my god. Is this show practically sold out till November? When is the last time a show had such a big advance? 

• Miscast in Movie Musical Adaptations  Jan 22 2016, 01:41:50 AM

Agreed people want to manage how people see them. Also, I definitely agree that Hugh Jackman was challenged by the score. However, given the total package I can't list a single better choice, not a single one. 

• Miscast in Movie Musical Adaptations  Jan 20 2016, 08:22:52 PM

To me, Hugh was perfectly cast in Les Mis. He had the voice, he had the acting chops, the look. And to top it all off he also had the box-office clout. One in a million - I can't think of any other actor that ticks all those boxes in the world.

The two leads of Sweeney Todd come to mind when I think of the word 'miscast'. However, they were completely appropriate for Tim Burton's vision for Sweeney Todd and their performances (plus the film) was well-executed (pun n

• Anyone OVER 'Hamilton' without even seeing it?  Jan 19 2016, 04:00:05 AM

I was responding to a claim that it already had "pierced international consciousness". If we acknowledge it hasn't, I agree the reasons why are likely for what you have suggested.

Still, I'll be surprised if Hamilton can become as well known internationally. Book of Mormon was being discussed here before they even announced a production. It's a musical that people who don't see musicals want to see. Hamilton is dense and complex.

• Anyone OVER 'Hamilton' without even seeing it?  Jan 19 2016, 02:13:17 AM

I acknowledge that there seems to be a lot of buzz domestically about Hamilton. However, this show is (in my experience) completely unknown to the Australian general public. The show is extremely US centric and I find it hard to believe it will really capture the interest of those who don't know anything or care about that aspect of US history. The Book of Mormon is commonly known in Australia because of the South Park heritage. I don't know why people would talk about Hamil

BROADWAYWORLD TV