Profile for qolbinau

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld qolbinau
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: qolbinau
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: - - -
Favorite Show(s): Follies
Gypsy
Kiss of the Spider Woman
next to normal
Sweeney Todd

Favorite Performer(s): Marin Mazzie
Donna Murphy
Bernadette Peters

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • COME FROM AWAY Reviews  Mar 27 2017, 05:17:03 PM

Maybe someone who has actually seen the show would be better to comment, but after listening to it a few times I probably would have preferred to have seen it cold. The style of the show is that, for the most part, it is essentially a linear recount of events - and the recording has extensive dialogue. It is very easy to follow the show from the recording and I think it would make it a bit less novel seeing it cold for the first time. 

• Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/26/17  Mar 27 2017, 05:06:17 PM

This season is crowded. However, I am shocked that many shows are finding their audiences - besides a few examples there are many musicals doing decent business at the moment - Bronx Tale; Anastasia; Come From Away; Dear Evan; Dolly, Sunday; Sunset; War Paint. I wouldn't be surprised if the musical grosses were some kind of record at the moment. I understand that unfortunately given Broadway economics and the need for sustained grosses over a very lengthy period of time that this doesn

• GROUNDHOG DAY Previews  Mar 18 2017, 07:56:01 PM

The sales for this look TERRIBLE..in a season with so many great shows happening, most of which seem to be doing just fine at the moment (surprising: who would have thought WAR PAINT or COME FROM AWAY would have a strong start) - is Groundhog Day going to be (surprisingly) that doesn't make it? 

• Roles for Catherine Zeta Jones!  Mar 14 2017, 05:18:16 AM

https://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/01/13/audra-mcdonald-and-alan-cumming-in-a-reading-of-kiss-of-the-spider-woman/

I must say I'd be excited at the prospect of Alan Cumming and Steve Pasquale. PERFECT casting.

• Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/12/17  Mar 14 2017, 02:32:33 AM

Scarywarhol said: "Fairly auspicious start for War Paint, which I was concerned about looking at all the empty seats at the start of the week. Man, I really did not see Bronx Tale coming and I did not expect it to keep momentum. It's just so...Generic? I so underestimated the appeal. 

"

Agree RE: War Paint. They definitely managed to sell A LOT of tickets at the last minute. Hope it can continue in the future! 

• Roles for Catherine Zeta Jones!  Mar 14 2017, 02:29:31 AM

Kiss of the Spider Woman. I think her glamour and voice will suit the score better than Audra (who is rumoured to be involved in some kind of production/reading recently?).

• Sunday in the Park with George performances  Mar 11 2017, 07:07:09 PM

The final performance seems to be completely sold out!

• COME FROM AWAY Previews  Mar 11 2017, 05:44:30 PM

I do think that's a very noble position for you to hold christinelavin, and shows a lot of respect for the creative team and creative process. I suppose I don't mind though if people criticise preview shows because they are still charging a lot of money and let's face it, bar a few shows (and I can't think of any to mind right now) there doesn't seem to be dramatic turnarounds/improvements in shows from preview to opening anymore these days.

I think if it was an

• Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/5/17  Mar 11 2017, 04:38:17 PM

Have to agree RaisedonMusicals - although the 50% gross potential figure seems rather arbitrary/stupid, in reality from the figures I have seen it does seem unusual for a musical nut (at least) to be less than 40% of the 'gross potential'. 

• COME FROM AWAY Previews  Mar 11 2017, 04:10:42 AM

Ok thanks, I'll take another look. Sometimes it takes a couple of listens I think to get hooked in. I remember listening to next to normal the first time and thinking 'meh'. It has since become one of my favourite shows. The same could be said about Passion, Pacific Overtures etc.

• COME FROM AWAY Previews  Mar 11 2017, 12:17:22 AM

icecreambenjamin said: "I just listened to the cast album and I didn't care for it.  I'll be seeing the show in a couple of weeks, and maybe I'll like it more then, but it sounds pretty corny on recording.

"

I agree I can't say I'm falling for it the way I did hearing some other recordings recently (e.g., Bright Star). Can anyone recommend any particularly favourite/stand out tracks?

• Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/5/17  Mar 10 2017, 05:59:22 PM

Also, I think the amazing FOLLIES revival with Bernadette Peters (:P) remains to have the highest grossing week of any Sondheim show ever on Broadway, if I recall correctly. 

$1,132,226 for one of the weeks.

Of course, the theatre was bigger, but still.

• WAR PAINT Previews  Mar 8 2017, 04:33:17 PM

Obviously I am disappointed that it is not a Patti and Bernadette show, but I can honestly say that I have basically completely forgotten about this because Ebersole is so great singing that song I don't think I could imagine anyone else - kind of like how you can just never hear anyone sing "Will You?" or "Another Winter in a Summer Town" without missing her.

• Norma Desmond understudy in Sunset Blvd  Mar 8 2017, 04:29:56 PM

Bettyboy72 said: "I love Nancy, but I imagine the theatre clearing out if only for the fact that tickets are so expensive. People aren't paying $300 to see an understudy

"

Yep - I will be first in line for a refund if Glenn doesn't show up. I'd be interested to see Nancy but not at $300. 

• WAR PAINT Previews  Mar 8 2017, 04:20:32 PM

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "As someone who loves Grey Gardens, how does War Paint's score compare?

"

There is one song, Pink, that is incredibly melodic/catchy/emotional/dramatic/soaring in the same vein as "Another Winter In a Summer Town" (slightly less effective and affective). I do agree the rest of the score takes some..warming up to. Though I think Grey Gardens had similar issues outside many of t

• Pacific Overtures  Mar 6 2017, 08:06:12 PM

Do they often cast women in this?

• Norma Desmond understudy in Sunset Blvd  Mar 6 2017, 04:44:53 PM

Your best option is cough on her at the stage door (please don't!).

• PRINCE OF EGYPT will finally premiere!  Feb 15 2017, 04:18:31 PM

Now I certainly would not want to see a non-black cast in the Colour Purple, Dreamgirls etc. but are we really that consistent when it comes to attitudes towards cross-racial casting? For example, we can accept and celebrate a black Valjean (I certainly have no issue here). We can also accept an Asian Aladdin (if it were a white Aladdin I can just imagine the protests now).

What is it about race that we are so protective in certain situations? I'm thinking that perhaps because

• Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances  Feb 15 2017, 02:16:19 AM

Does anyone feel like the current leads are just filler until Carmello and Lewis show up? Perhaps it's just me. 

• PRINCE OF EGYPT will finally premiere!  Feb 15 2017, 02:15:18 AM

perfectlymarvelous said: "But did you really just use the phrase "colored people," qolbinau? More than once? 

"

Yes. Apologies, as I am not American I am not aware of some of the culturally sensitivities around language. 

"So why is your assumption that the woman of color they (hopefully) cast will automatically not be as talented as Marin Mazzie?"

&nb