Profile for qolbinau

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld qolbinau
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: qolbinau
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: - - -
Favorite Show(s): Follies
Gypsy
Kiss of the Spider Woman
next to normal
Sweeney Todd

Favorite Performer(s): Marin Mazzie
Donna Murphy
Bernadette Peters

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!  Jul 27 2017, 03:45:46 AM

I have to agree Jarethan it does seem like bad producing. What were they thinking casting Oak? (hopefully this incident has still boosted his career, even if it didn't go perfectly). It would have been very easy for the producers to do a bit of market research and conclude that Josh Groban was a major draw and the show wouldn't survive without him - or that the general public do not know who Oak is (if it wasn't already obvious). Even now, it is hard to see casting

• Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!  Jul 27 2017, 12:12:39 AM

A new mantra for those that want to resist this absurd emotional reaction: Oak doesn't pay the bills or fill the tills. 

#fillthetills

#paythebills

This is capitalism. Move along oak. If those complaining have an issue you need to fight capitalism. That is the root cause of this issue, not racism. 

If by god's chance they got Kanye West to play the role we should all start chanting move along Mandy. It is $$$$. 

• Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!  Jul 26 2017, 05:32:19 PM

LizzieCurry said: "qolbinau said: "AND THE sick obsession with race continues. Some of the biggest racists around apparently. "

no

"

Dw I've learned the new rules of Broadway - a white actor can't replace a black actor or it's racist. Come and join the picket line with me. 

• Mandy Patinkin to join THE GREAT COMET as Pierre for 3 week run!  Jul 26 2017, 05:14:15 PM

AND THE sick obsession with race continues. Some of the biggest racists around apparently. 

• Musicals are expensive to run (weekly nuts)  Jul 19 2017, 10:49:09 PM

Thanks - doing a quick search and might be able to do Hamilton, Dear Evan Hansen, School of Rock, Waitress, Sweeney Todd (LuPone) revival. Any requests? We essentially need to know the capital/upfront expenses and the date of recoupment. 

• Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/16/17  Jul 18 2017, 06:45:15 PM

I hope War Paint is advertising in mediums more accessible to the target demographic (particularly older women) and not relying on the internet/facebook/twitter. The Wednesday 2pm show is almost always the best-selling show. This target demographic is probably not best reached using facebook.

• Bette's return  Jul 16 2017, 07:02:08 PM

Maybe I need to think about the tone in which I write but I actually really don't care about this situation, I just find it interesting. 

• Bette's return  Jul 15 2017, 09:21:32 PM

Patti LuPone is almost Bette's age and doing 8 shows a week right now in a role that is far more challenging in terms of vocal and acting demands......bet no one would claim if she took two weeks off now it would be 'much earned'. I guess it's because LuPone makes it look easy/is much more experienced on the Broadway stage so it might seem or actually be less demanding for her. But still - I do find the reactions interesting.

• Miss Saigon + racism  Jul 12 2017, 12:01:03 AM

• Miss Saigon + racism  Jul 11 2017, 11:56:15 PM

I'd hate to be a white straight male (aka the scum of the earth) in today's political climate. 

• Okieriete Onaodowan to Replace Josh Groban in THE GREAT COMET  Jul 11 2017, 11:50:36 PM

RippedMan said: "Now offense to him, but I feel like I'm on these boards a lot and I know Hamiltion, etc, but I don't know who the hell he is or why anyone should care? or why this casting is even interesting? 

"

I don't know who is either. Wonder if he was a little overshadowed by other OBC members. Nothing wrong with that - I doubt he was hired based on any name recognition?

• Broadway: “Hello, Dolly!” Without Bette Midler Crashes at Box Office, Falls Below $1 Mil for Week  Jul 9 2017, 12:19:54 AM

I can't speak for Rudin or his strategy - but if we think about what Donna Murphy's purpose is it's hard to see how it is too much of a failure in my opinion.

Basically, there is a cost issue I believe that even though Midler is only doing 7 shows a week - everyone is still getting paid for the full week. The theatre is still getting rent. All the overhead expenses associated with running a Broadway show are still present regardless of whether there are 7 or 8 performances.

• Broadway: “Hello, Dolly!” Without Bette Midler Crashes at Box Office, Falls Below $1 Mil for Week  Jul 8 2017, 09:41:14 PM

I am surprised it didn't fall further. I wonder how many people thought they were seeing Bette. 

Rudin is probably happy with the outcome, surely. 

• National Theatre: Follies image  Jul 8 2017, 05:38:31 AM

If Sondheim loves Staunton he must adore Peters, who must be by far his most frequent leading performer collaborator. 

I actually don't think Bernadette is overall the 'definitive' Sally. I can very clearly hear the strain in her voice at points (Clark really did sound amazing and almost flawless) - and 'stiff' might describe some of her line readings. She did this in night music too but there are odd pauses sometimes in lines - it's just weird and sometime

• National Theatre: Follies image  Jul 7 2017, 08:53:03 PM

• National Theatre: Follies image  Jul 7 2017, 08:52:25 PM

Bernadette walked out on that stage overwhelmed with emotion because her character was about to meet the guy she has been pining over after 30 years, and she was transported back to another time in her life. She was overwhelmed with a combination of anxiousness, nostalgia and excitement, not sad/weepy. Do we really expect Sally - who is a crazy psycho bitch and waiting for this moment for 30 years - to have no visible affect in that moment? It was a completely different kind of emotion than t

• National Theatre: Follies image  Jul 7 2017, 08:05:38 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luydh4zUry4

Chilling.

• Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/2/17  Jul 7 2017, 08:04:42 PM

markypoo said: "To someone like myself - strictly a novice in these matters - can you inform as to just how much trouble War Paint is in?

"

War Paint's advance is very thin right now. I don't know how expensive the show is to run but given all shows seem to be expensive to run these days, it's hard to imagine it will last to the end of the year.

• National Theatre: Follies image  Jul 7 2017, 04:15:20 AM

I think we all saw her 'performance' in Gypsy. She can't sing. I do concede she definitely has fine acting skills - I mean she is probably a better actor than Bernadette - perhaps it is the direction I'm more afraid of and the specific choices, as well as her ability to actually use her voice in a vulnerable way with a pleasant sounding timbre. I don't think anyone, at least as captured on record, used their voice to act through "In Buddy's Eyes" th

• National Theatre: Follies image  Jul 7 2017, 12:56:44 AM

How did the widow Goldman let this be filmed but not the recent NYC revival?

Good luck Staunton trying to reach the level of acting in "Buddy's Eyes" as Bernadette or reaching those high notes in Too Many Mornings.