BroadwayWorld.com
Profile for qolbinau
Edit Your Profile |

Click to Enlarge
Member Name: qolbinau
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: - - -
Profile: I'm Australian (23-Male), but travel to NYC and catch shows occasionally.

Favorite Show(s): Follies
Gypsy
Kiss of the Spider Woman
next to normal
Sweeney Todd

Favorite Performer(s): Marin Mazzie
Donna Murphy
Bernadette Peters

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Fun Home Previews  Apr 17 2015, 10:37:26 PM

The news that the former head of iOS (Apple iPhone operating system) is a producer of FUN HOME has meant the show has reached publicity in some unusual outlets, such as this Apple forum. Someone made this:

http://i58.tinypic.com/i22050.jpg

• Riedel: Tony race heats up as Neverland fades, and Twentieth Century butts heads with King and I  Apr 17 2015, 09:42:17 AM

"I think the grosses will have a larger share to do with who takes Best Actress. Few mention it, but I think Kelli may have won last year had BRIDGES been a hit. She'd have been giving a glorious performance in a fat hit, alongside Jessie Mueller, giving her a run for her money. But she and the score were in an admirable show, contrasted by a wonderful Jessie in a big fat hit. So, Jessie for the win."

I agree but I don't think it's the grosses so much as the show

• Bombshell Pre-Sale  Apr 14 2015, 05:24:46 PM

It is interesting that this show has completely changed the typical balance of power from the consumer to the supplier. They have all the power and seemingly need consumers a lot less than they need them. It somewhat bothers me that they have made a lot of extra $$$ from this venture without returning the money to the consumers. Where is the money going to go? 

• This year's Tony performa  Apr 11 2015, 02:09:09 AM

I like "Welcome to our House" but I'm not sure if it would get me to buy tickets for that show - fine exposition but not one of the core emotional moments of the show. I would prefer one of the solo performances. Although, I feel like I often complain that solo performances seem to work better at the Tony awards for me than group performances.

Does "Yellow shoes" work outside of context? It's a catchy song, and (I imagine, given I haven't seen the show) pretty chilling with an

• Fun Home will receive updated cast album  Apr 11 2015, 01:59:24 AM

Agreed. Sister Act desperately needed a new recording, a lot of (positive) changes when that show made it to Broadway. I find that I can only listen to audience recordings of that show these days. Was so disappointed when I realised "Haven't Got a Prayer" was recorded. 

• Grey Gardens  Apr 11 2015, 01:57:56 AM

Great score and powerful leading performances. So sad the creative team haven't found success in another show yet. 

• Fun Home will receive updated cast album  Apr 10 2015, 06:36:44 PM

Someone still has to pay, and given the grosses I wonder if they would use money budgeted for a recording to keep the show open (if that's even a thing). Personally, I always think it's better to spend the money on a recording because the recording will keep the show alive in future, not an extra couple of weeks on Broadway. 

• The Visit Previews * Spoiler Alert*  Apr 10 2015, 06:00:19 PM

Saying a production is 'too dark' or 'too bleak' only makes me want to see it more .

• Mamma Mia!  Apr 9 2015, 10:51:14 PM

"Always love the morons who celebrate people losing their jobs."

Oh god, not this again. No one is celebrating the loss of jobs. That's just an unfortunate part of a show closing. 

• whatttt  Apr 9 2015, 07:04:36 PM

Good riddance to bad rubbish. Hopefully theatre-going audiences will now choose to spend their money supporting shows with original scores. 

• Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/5/15  Apr 7 2015, 05:58:23 AM

So disappointed at the Visit's grosses .

RE: NFP grosses. Obviously, if the budget has been carefully planned beforehand then poor weekly grosses might not be a bad thing. But if low grosses have not been budgeted for the money (to capitalise and run the show) has to come from somewhere, so I don't think we can necessarily say the grosses don't matter for a NFP show either. 

• Congrats to GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE  Apr 5 2015, 06:55:32 PM

What a lovely success story of "the little show that could".

• The Visit Previews * Spoiler Alert*  Apr 4 2015, 09:39:21 PM

RE: Chita's voice. 

Can't speak for the rest of the score, but if there is one song in one musical you don't want a perfect (or even good a) vocal performance, it's "Love and Love Alone". This is truly a song that only works if it is sung by someone who sounds like they are speaking from a lot of experience, who are a little bit cynical and a little bit jaded. There actually is a recording of Lucie Arnaz singing this well (more like a ballad too), and while it sounds love

• GYPSY 2015 London Cast Recording (Imelda Staunton)  Apr 4 2015, 09:24:01 PM

Clips here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00VGS5CLC/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk

It's out in the theatre in a few days. It's clearly not going to match LuPone's vocal performance. However, it looks like she will take it in interesting places. Can't say I've heard a "Rose's Turn" quite like that one. It's almost the antithesis of Bernadette's performance. 

• Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 3/29/15  Mar 31 2015, 03:35:36 AM
    I am a bit disappointed at The Visit's grosses. Agree it isn't a good start.

On the other hand, FUN HOME had a respectable first week given the size of the show.
  • The Visit Previews  Mar 28 2015, 11:52:11 PM
    Can anyone describe Chita's entrance?
  • DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Previews  Mar 28 2015, 01:40:37 AM
    Yes, I saw the Sydney production. Some/(a lot?) of the team have actually remained on board (e.g., Director, Set Designer, the main Australian producer is still on board in some capacity too). From these details and my fading memory, I'm not sure exactly what has changed (in terms of team or the show itself). But I remember having a similar reaction to those described here. And it is (or was 4 years ago) so disappointing given the team involved. They ended up cancelling the cast recording (which
  • DOCTOR ZHIVAGO Previews  Mar 28 2015, 01:05:04 AM
    Looks like it hasn't improved much (if at all) from Sydney. At least we had Warlow there.
  • The Visit Previews  Mar 27 2015, 08:58:12 PM
    I know it's been posted but the changes they have made to the artwork are great!

• Best Gypsy Cast Recording?  Mar 26 2015, 06:08:25 PM
    Wasn't she dubbed?