Profile for My Oh My
Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld My Oh My
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: My Oh My
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Web Site:
Blog Address:
Birthday: 4 - 9
Favorite Show(s): A Chorus Line
Les Misérables
Show Boat

Favorite Performer(s): Michael Ball
Jordan Bennett
Kelly Bishop
Jennifer Butt
Rebecca Caine
Michael Crawford
Anthony Crivello
Gina Ferrall
Sutton Foster
Randy Graff
Randall Keith
Dale Kristien
Angela Lansbury
Patti LuPone
Donna McKechnie
Michelle Nicastro
Elinore O'Connell
Mandy Patinkin
Valerie Perri
Bernadette Peters
Philip Quast
Chita Rivera
Daphne Rubin-Vega
Frances Ruffelle
Lea Salonga
Andrew Varela
Anthony Warlow
Colm Wilkinson

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Doing Little Shop on the cheap  Nov 25 2013, 09:10:02 PM
    Talk to Cammack. Maybe there's use for that automated pig from his last show...whatchmacallit?
  • London Revival of Miss Saigon has its Kim  Nov 25 2013, 09:03:59 PM
    That would be for people who aren't pleased with anything.

I was pleased with Saigon, Phantom, and Les Mis once upon a time. =)
  • Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread  Nov 25 2013, 08:57:58 PM
    I saw Terra in the 3rd national tour back in 2006 and it's nice to know she is still with the show. Her's is one of the reasons I remember that performance fondly.

That...and the sweet elderly gentleman I sat next to who was so excited to see the show and called me "lad" even though I was 28 at the time, lol.
  • London Revival of Miss Saigon has its Kim  Nov 25 2013, 07:59:34 PM
    Right you are, EricMontreal

Sir Cameron, is that you??? XD

"Exploitation of success." Couldn't have said it better myself!
  • Interesting blog post about the death of production contract tours...  Nov 25 2013, 07:07:23 PM
    My oh my, that was a whole lotta scatterbrain to wade through. I wanna wade through more!

It helps to get the bazillion references, which is why I think I wanna wade through more of it, but also it confirms that I'm not an insane twit and that the light on the road has indeed been getting dimmer and dimmer, like the audiences who pay top price to see non-Equity standards in Equity tours of 25th anniversary Les Mises. OK, so maybe they're not so much dim and maybe they're just except
  • CAROUSEL on Live At Lincoln Center Tonight at 9PM!!  May 4 2013, 11:46:05 PM
    It's hard to envision anything as superior to the absolutely perfect Reprise! production I saw in Los Angeles a few years ago. I'm a picky mofo, and was completely mesmerized by that production at the Freud Playhouse.

It was a semi-concert styled production, with the orchestra partially visible behind the action, spare but imaginative scenery and direction, suggestive lighting, simple costume designs it seemed at first but the way they completed each character was anything but, and a re
  • Jekyll & Hyde (Broadway Previews!)  Apr 14 2013, 03:22:00 PM
    I had a similar opinion to all the Negative Nancys on here, just based on photographs and the badly produced new cast recording.

"Cheap" being the most common opinion here, it's exactly the impression that made me rant about this months ago without having seen it.

Sometimes cheap doesn't need to be seen live in order to know it's, well, cheap. Not that I expect every production to be a 15 million dollar version with enough bells and whistles to fill 28 semi-tractor trailers lik
  • Are new cast recordings  Apr 14 2013, 01:55:30 PM
    I've unloaded lots on this topic before and have found I only confuse people with all the jargon, so I will give an example of a cast recording I adore for its engineering and overall sound, then a brief (OK, OK, not so brief) explanation will follow.

Showboat - 1993 Canadian Revival

Yes, the sound is up close and personal but the singers have room to breathe and it doesn't sound dry (no reverb at all) or too wet (copious amounts of echoey reverb). It also doesn't attemp
  • Would I ruffle feathers if I posted comment about Jeremy Jordan and Smash?  Apr 14 2013, 01:23:19 PM
    I haven't watched Smash since the pilot episode.

But I will butt in here anyway and say it's entertaining to me to see people tip-toe their way into discussion on a discussion board, worried about ruffling feathers.

Just post away as if nobody is reading your posts. That's what I do!!
  • How important is BroadwayWorld to Broadway?  Apr 14 2013, 01:01:45 PM
    Meh. My philosophy has always been to say what the eff I want on here (and other message boards) if it makes me feel better or brings me joy regardless of what anyone says. I immensely enjoy talking theatre and how theatre art works. Certain shows I babble on and on about because I have a lot to say on them. One thing I don't do is try to entertain or engage in attention whoring, despite past accusations that that's all I am about. I'm no one's court jester, thankyouverymuch. Unfortunately, I re
  • What's So Great About Eponine?  Jan 23 2013, 06:15:42 PM
    B*tch gets to sing to this as a friggin backdrop:

I can only imagine what that feels like live in the theatre and onstage.

Well, not anymore. Not with new Tom n' Jerry Saturday morning cartoon orchestration. *middle finger*
  • Non Equity Tours 2013-2014  Jan 22 2013, 03:25:09 AM
    JohnyBroadway, I tried locating that clip for you to see, but wasn't successful.

There are several very high quality promo clips, which I'm sure most of you have seen, of the recent non-equity tour. And unless you're unfamiliar with the Broadway revival cast recording, you will think I'm nuts because the orchestra sounds every bit as good on those clips as it does on the revival recording.

But see, non-equity tours have non-equity tour advertising techniques, and those promo cl
  • Les Mis set to be highest grossing movie musical of all time.  Jan 22 2013, 03:09:58 AM
    Now if only the success of the film would knock some sense into ol' Cammack's noggin and he'll restore the brilliant original production around the world and chuck the non-equity style 25th ann. uncelebration lackluster production currently shouting its way across the country, complete with projected movie slide shows and blue super-speaker.

Fat chance. It kills me to think that now during the musical's most widespread appeal, the number of those being deprived of seeing what the lucky
  • Les Miserables variant lyrics  Jan 22 2013, 02:45:34 AM
    I prefer "in love," too, but I can't recall it ever being "with love." But that's my experience. I don't doubt you've heard different actors do variations of that bit.

That reminds me, and it's sort of off-topic so sorry, but it kills me every time someone says that Eponine's appearance at the end of the stage version makes no sense and they always use Valjean's non-relationship with Eponine as rationale. Some of the more loopy conspiracy theorists claim it's an evil detail strategicall
  • Les Cringerables  Jan 22 2013, 12:52:34 AM
    Yet ANOTHER Les Mis flash mob? I didn't even bother.
  • Non Equity Tours 2013-2014  Jan 22 2013, 12:50:48 AM
    The OP is very cold and looks perverted in my P.J.s.

TMI, I know. *shrug*

There was a non-equity tour of A Chorus Line out recently. I saw a clip of the opening number on YouTube and I swear the orchestra sounded like it was generated by midi. It made my poor ears shrivel up and die.

I'm still impressed by that Hairspray non-equity tour I saw in Costa Mesa awhile back. Totally beat the odds and I felt I saw an actual Broadway caliber production...with a r
  • Les Miserables variant lyrics  Jan 22 2013, 12:21:51 AM
    Another one:

3. "On My Own"

"Without me, his world would go on turning. The world is full of happiness that I have never known!"

"Without me, his world would go on turning--a world that's full of happiness that I have never known!"

Why it's better:

The former makes a character--Eponine--who is often said to be nothing short of a whiner, come across more like exactly just that.

The latter connects the seemingly r
  • Ramin Karimloo to reprise role as Jean Valjean in Toronto production of Les Mis?  Jan 21 2013, 08:13:51 PM
    I'm sooooo glad I grew up in the era that I did.

Karimloo, from what I've heard, sounded fine as Valjean when he did the role not too long ago.

However, I have noted hysterical reactions from both camps.

The gullible state his Valjean was revelatory, ingenious, and totally fresh. I don't doubt the man has the ability to do great things, but all the evidence offered by those who claim such things has been done
  • Les Miserables variant lyrics  Jan 21 2013, 07:49:20 PM
    Some of my favorite variant lyrics that have become standard. And for the better, to me, at least:

1. "Epilogue"

"Take my hand and lead me to salvation."

"Take my hand, I'll lead you to salvation."

Why it's better:

The former makes it seem Fantine and Eponine have been stuck in limbo and are relying on Valjean's croaking to finally lead them towards the light.

The superior latter give
  • Les Miserables variant lyrics  Jan 21 2013, 07:33:56 PM
    "I like keeping track of the interchangeable Javert lyrics in Stars:

"Fallen from God, fallen from Grace" is what is usually sung, but the libretto has always said grace both times.

"And so it has been, for so it is written" is usually sung "And so it must be" although the libretto has always said the former.

And of course, although the libretto has always said "One more day til revolution" most Javerts insist on singing "One day more til revolution"