Profile for artscallion

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld artscallion
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: artscallion
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: - - -
Favorite Show(s): A Man of No Importance
Floyd Collins
Grey Gardens
Pacific Overtures
She Loves Me
Sweeney Todd
The Light in the Piazza

Favorite Performer(s): Ramin Karimloo

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • The Rocky Horror Picture Show Event Offical Thread  Oct 23 2016, 08:52:28 PM

What a tone deaf waste of time. They just didn't seem to get it. At any rate, there was absolutely no need to remake this. The original was perfect as is. Why try to outdo perfection?

• Miss Saigon helicopter question  Oct 19 2016, 02:57:16 PM

The last time I saw it on tour, the chopper was a screen projection. It was pretty effective. But I was disappointed that it was not the "real" chopper i"d seen in previous tours.

• Jessie Mueller and Matinees?  Oct 5 2016, 02:56:20 PM

I've traveled from out of town to NYC and see four or five shows a year for the past 15 years. so that's close to 75 shows. We always do  matinees exclusively. In all those years I've only had one occasion when a lead or featured actor was out, Wicked, back when it was new. Idina, Kristin, Norbert, Joel and Carole were all out. Hasn't happened again. So, you see how avoiding matinees because of one instance doesn't make sense? If you went to one evening performance an

• Jessie Mueller and Matinees?  Oct 4 2016, 03:52:46 PM

Went on a Sunday Mat. Entire cast was on.

• Vocal Dubbing in the Film Version of INTO THE WOODS  Sep 26 2016, 06:51:57 AM

Just rewatched this last night and I can definitely hear what people are talking about. I didn't noticed it when I first watched the film. But last night all I could hear was Donna Murphy. Of course that doesn't convince me of anything. Artificial manipulation of Meryl's singing could have resulted in that.

On another note, I don't remember it being mentioned in discussions before, but did anyone notice the few bars of The Night Waltz from ALNM played when we see the gu

• Fired from new off-B'way show  Sep 21 2016, 04:16:54 PM

The Workaround Roundabout Reacharound Theatre Company

• CZJ won the Tony really?  Sep 18 2016, 02:47:17 PM

Zeta-Jones was really wonderful in ALNM.  My theory is that Catherine was used to a small house, suddenly thrust into the vastness that is Radio City Music Hall, trying to play to the mile-away rafters and close-up cameras. I think the same thing happened this past year, to some degree, with Jessie Mueller's performance in the Beacon. She was all kinds of herky-jerky, grabbing at the couch and stumbling around, FAR more so than she is at the much smaller Brooks Atkinson.

• WAR PAINT - Pre-Broadway Thread  Sep 16 2016, 01:15:57 PM

apropos of nothing, I was just in the Sleepy Hollow cemetery (of Washington Irving and Headless Horseman fame) in Sleepy Hollow, NY last week and saw that Elizabeth Arden was buried there. It's a completely plain, small grave marker in the midst of many other small. plain markers in a random field. Her name on the marker is Elizabeth Graham, a combination of her real (Florence Nightingale Graham) and business (Elizabeth Arden) names.

I can't find any explanation of why one of t

• Jenna Ushkowitz to Step in for Kimiko Glenn in WAITRESS  Sep 10 2016, 07:24:43 PM

Saw the matinee today. Jenna still in. 

• Lady Gaga confirmed for A STAR IS BORN  Aug 17 2016, 09:15:55 AM

Sally Durant Plummer said: "I only wish they would keep "The Man That Got Away" from the original."

Sally, "The Man That Got Away" is not from the original. It is from the 1954 remake. The 1937 original (1932 if you consider "What Price Hollywood" the original" was not a musical.

• Sondheim-Favorite Artist Song Performances  Aug 12 2016, 12:53:43 PM

Audra McDonald's - The Glamorous Life. She's done it many times, including the 80th birthday celebration. But this particular rendition is absolute perfection.

• Best 11 o'clock number?  Aug 2 2016, 09:44:49 AM

The Miller's Son, in its own way. It's a show stopper, and it also fits Gaveston's second definition in that it is a reflection and commentary on what's come before it, giving us a different perspective in denouement to follow. Yet it's done by a minor character.

• People Are Dressing Like Slobs: Elizabeth Vincentelli  Aug 1 2016, 10:32:40 AM

I respect the performers immensely. At the same time, I wear what I wear. What I wear has nothing to do with the way I feel about anyone, in the same way that wearing a suit doesn't make you a better worker than wearing jeans and a mohawk. These things are all relics of the past. People are slowly beginning to understand that these superficial things don't amount to a hill of beans.

When I travel to NYC to see a show, I'm taking a 4 hour train ride, walking around in the he

• Bad H!mo: How Musical Theatre Tested My Relationship:  Jul 25 2016, 02:15:34 PM

The point is clearly that two chubby queens drinking pink cocktails can be the powerful cause of an epiphany, especially when trying to decide which stereotype to hate or be.

• Laura Benanti as Melania Trump  Jul 21 2016, 03:38:45 PM

I thought she did a great job. I just thought the writing was really lame and unfunny. But Colbert's writing, in general, has gone way downhill as they keep trying to change what he does to improve ratings on the new show.

• Possible Jenna Replacements  Jul 14 2016, 07:41:11 PM

The movie is set in the deep south according to both the Wikipedia and the IMDB page. The musical website and the Wiki page only refer to a small town. I won't be seeing the play for another month. So I can't speak to the playbill.

• HAMILTON Principal Cast Replacements  Jul 12 2016, 08:04:32 AM

LizzieCurry said: "Interesting:"

Cervantes is a terrific performer. I saw him play Batboy in Boston back in 2002. brought the house down. He was also in the recent production of Giant at the Public.

• SHE LOVES ME closes this afternoon - remembering its three Broadway bows through pictures  Jul 10 2016, 10:24:35 PM

I was there this afternoon. Jane did her split without any problems. The cast, as others have said were on fire, as was the audience. Everyone got enthusiastic entrance applause and great audience response throughout.

Zachary not only cried through the end of his last scene, but through the extended curtain call as well. The Entire cast cried, but most stopped when the speeches began. Zachary continued crying til he left the stage at the end. It was very moving.

• John McMartin has passed  Jul 7 2016, 06:55:09 AM

Saw him in Into The Woods and Grey Gardens. And enjoyed him over the years on many cast recordings and videos. A great loss.

• Broadway Before & After  Jul 6 2016, 11:10:12 AM

South Pacific Overtures

Backstage with Richard Ridge
Back to Falsettoland w/ OBC - Passing the Torch
Backstage Bite
TV Exclusive: BACKSTAGE BITE with AVENUE Q's Elizabeth Ann Berg
Turning the Tables
Randy Rainbow w/ FIDDLER Cast
  Chewing the Scenery with Randy Rainbow
SPAMILTON Takes Over at Broadway Sessions!