Profile for artscallion

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld artscallion
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: artscallion
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: - - -
Favorite Show(s): A Man of No Importance
Assassins
Cabaret
Company
Floyd Collins
Follies
Grey Gardens
Pacific Overtures
Passion
She Loves Me
Sweeney Todd
The Light in the Piazza

Favorite Performer(s): Ramin Karimloo

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • GREY GARDENS off-broadway vs obc cast album?  Apr 29 2016, 01:55:03 PM

I also prefer the Broadway album for Davie's performance. But I enjoy the Off as well for the different songs.

• Hamilton is the greatest musical since RENT?  Apr 16 2016, 04:15:36 PM

And The Producers.

• SHE LOVES ME extends until 7/10  Apr 14 2016, 01:02:17 PM

This is perfect! One of my fave musicals but I didn't think I'd get to see it. 7/10 is my birthday. So I took it as a sign and snatched up 3rd row center. This will be a great birthday!

• SPOILER Waitress SPOILER  Apr 11 2016, 06:55:40 PM

"And, of course, I have my issue with the directorial/acting choices to make Earl an abuser. "

Seriously, this is not a directorial/acting choice. No one here can have the script to quote passages to you to prove this. But this is NOT the story you want it to be. It is based on a movie which is specifically about her struggle to escape from an abusive husband who is specifically physically threatening, and start her life over. Watch the movie. It's clear as a bell.
    <

• SPOILER Waitress SPOILER  Apr 11 2016, 03:12:57 PM

He's definitely controlling in the script. Controlling is a very serious type of abuse.

I'm not sure why you think it's more interesting to leave someone because you don't think they're right for you. That happens to millions of people every day. I find it much more interesting to see an abused woman break free from the manipulative pattern abusers use of alternating terror with smothering "love". It's much less common for people to escape that dyn

• How many people on these boards work in theatre?  Mar 22 2016, 11:05:07 AM

Been working in theatre for about 25 years. Currently a poster designer and marketing director.

• Most Beautiful Touring Theatres  Mar 3 2016, 11:39:43 AM

http://www.jwoolf.com/portfolios/theaterinteriors/

Here's a link to a lot of the great old touring house interiors and lobbies.

• Most Beautiful Touring Theatres  Mar 3 2016, 11:16:25 AM

The Providence Performing Arts Center

• Most Famous Genderblind Roles in Musical Theater  Feb 23 2016, 03:58:20 PM

There's a difference between Peter Pan, where the character gender remains as written whether played by a male or female (same can be said for Gary Coleman in Avenue Q) and the gender of the character changing based on the gender of the actor playing it, because the gender of the character is not relevant to the story. This could include The Lead Player in Pippin  and the MC in Cabaret.

• Most Famous Genderblind Roles in Musical Theater  Feb 23 2016, 07:12:41 AM

Murray Poppins

• Streisand Gypsy is still on....  Jan 28 2016, 01:25:36 PM

lovebwy said: "She is way way too old, and isn't up to the score."

I agree. But I remember a rumor going around that she had already recorded the score years ago in anticipation of someday doing this. Could be just an urban legend. But someone here may remember this being mentioned. Though she's still way too old for the film...beginning, middle or end. The most I'd want to see come of this is the release of that secret recording.

• Ticketmaster Resale: A Rant (Hamilton)  Jan 27 2016, 11:34:49 AM

There's plenty of cheap and free theatre out there. No one is being deprived of theatre. Maybe they can't afford the current smash Broadway hit. But just because you can't afford the Rolls Royce, doesn't equal, "cars should be for everybody"

• What's with the hatred of Cats?  Jan 22 2016, 04:19:09 PM

The important theme of CATS is, cats don't tire easily.

• Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY  Jan 19 2016, 03:21:28 PM

I'd like to see Bryce Pinkham as Cornelius.

• well, not really  Oct 8 2015, 12:07:06 PM

The Huntington is sending out the following email to its patrons:

"Dear Friend of the Huntington,

As you know, the Huntington Theatre Company is one of Boston’s major cultural institutions, providing world-class productions and public service benefits to over 200,000 people a year across the city. For over three decades our relationship with our founding and grand sponsor, Boston University, has been robust and mutually beneficial.

Over the course of the last year

• Best restaurants near Lincoln Center  Oct 5 2015, 02:25:33 PM

I like Rosa Mexicana. The food is great and interesting.  And the prices are on the higher side, but not too bad.

I always have a problem getting a reservation for a party with an odd number of people with their online reservation service. I can put in for three people at a certain time and it comes back saying 'none available'. If I put in for a party of four for the same time, it works. I guess they don't like to waste a table for 4 on just three people. So I always b

• The 1st act Closing number  Oct 5 2015, 07:19:19 AM

All this mention of Millers Son makes me wonder why no one has mentioned A Weekend in the Country as a good example of a 9 O'Clock number. Unless I missed it.

• Your thoughts on A GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE  Sep 23 2015, 01:30:07 PM

Loved GG. Thought it was one of the best things I've seen on BWay. But it was a farce. It was not supposed to have all the things OP claims it is missing. Maybe you just don't like farce. Doesn't make it a bad show, just not your thing. Comparing it to Fun Home is absurd.

• Songs That Have Moved You To Tears  Sep 4 2015, 02:39:49 PM

I'm pathetic. I often start sobbing during the first few notes of the overture at any given show just from the joy of being there. And I cry pretty easily during live performances in general. But the one song that will get me without fail, even in a really bad production is Sunday from SITPWG. It's funny because on the surface, the lyrics don't seem to be about anything emotionally stirring or related to any of the plot lines. Yet somehow, the music itself always makes me climax,

• Digital Lotteries...the new thing?  Aug 6 2015, 02:44:38 PM

It now gives a ton more people a chance of winning. Of course that chance has now become the same as a snowball's chance in hell.

BROADWAYWORLD TV