Profile for PalJoey

Edit Your Profile |

BroadwayWorld PalJoey
Click to Enlarge
Member Name: PalJoey
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Birthday: 2 - 28
Favorite Show(s):

Favorite Performer(s):

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Showtunes About What It Means to Be American  Oct 21 2016, 01:04:37 PM

Here is Jennifer Hudson singing it:

• Showtunes About What It Means to Be American  Oct 21 2016, 01:01:40 PM

I think the greatest is "Take Care of This House," from 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue by Leonard Bernstein and Alan Jay Lerner.

It's a bit of an art song, sung by First Lady Abigail Adams, asking one of the servants to take care of the White House after she is gone. But when Abigail sings the words "This house is the home of us all," it becomes a song to all of us, asking us to always care of the newborn country she loves so much.

• Donna Murphy is DOLLY alternate  Oct 20 2016, 12:01:39 PM

How wonderful!

And how classy of Bette to say this: "Donna Murphy is one of the greats, and I’m so honored that we’ll be sharing this role. I was looking forward to staying home on Tuesdays, but looks like I’ll be going to the theater every week to watch her go on."

• Laura Benanti - her Melania on Colbert?  Oct 19 2016, 09:56:05 AM

I do not fault the actors who were manipulated by Patti Murin's self-aggrandizing publicity stunt. They were dupes and several of them have said, privately, that in retrospect, they regret jumping on her bandwagon.

The whole affair has left her with an extremely poor reputation among many of her colleagues.

As for Laura Benanti, she is the kind of adored and admired A-list performer that Patti Murin will never be.

• Broadway for Hillary Performance List  Oct 17 2016, 11:32:00 PM

HATE when entertainment becomes political.

Sorry to inform you, but all art is political.

Art is a radical act.

It has been since Aeschylus and Aristophanes.

• Is a preview like an actual performance?  Oct 17 2016, 12:55:18 PM

During the preview period, a show develops timing and pacing. So it frequently happens that a show that leaves you lukewarm in an early preview ends up enchanting you when you return to it.

At a certain point late in previews the show is "frozen." In a case of a revival of a solid show like Hello, Dolly! with a seasoned pro like Bette Midler directed by a master of the genre like Jerry Zaks, the show will probably jell early in previews.

• Hello, Dolly  Oct 6 2016, 01:34:35 PM

I get more excited about this every day.

• Othello - NYTW  Oct 5 2016, 12:32:37 PM

All seats are good at NYTW. I'm #1065 in the online line.

• Jennifer Holliday to join THE COLOR PURPLE  Oct 5 2016, 10:43:35 AM

Can't wait to see this for a fourth time.

• Riedel on The Front Page not having critics previews  Oct 5 2016, 10:39:28 AM

How stupid was David Rooney to put all that in an email to Scott Rudin, OF ALL PEOPLE?

Rudin is a known barracuda, and Rooney made himself vulnerable to him--ON EMAIL!

Why don't people realize that what they think are private emails are the opposite of private?

Stupid, stupid, David Rooney!

• Jake Gyllenhaal in Sunday in the Park  Oct 4 2016, 04:03:45 PM

WOW! That does it for me--I'm taking my tickets OFF StubHub.

• Broadway tidbits about Gypsy, Angela, etc from new book  Oct 3 2016, 10:11:17 AM

Those anecdotes have a nasty and distinctly un-fun tone to them. Either the book is an unpleasant piece of work or Musto's way of relating the stories is icky. 

• What went wrong with Shuffle Along?  Sep 30 2016, 04:18:47 PM

My prediction: Thirty years from now, it will be revered, like Follies.

• Imelda Staunton to Star as Sally in West End Follies  Sep 30 2016, 11:43:39 AM

The only thing worse than a one-note lunatic Mama Rose is a one-note lunatic Sally Durant.

• Imelda Staunton to Star as Sally in West End Follies  Sep 30 2016, 08:02:42 AM

She has zero vulnerability. This is going to be a Sally-who-just-escaped-from-the-loony-bin.

Note to directors: Sally only asks herself if she is losing her mind out of unrequited love for Ben. There is no reason to take the question LITERALLY.

I blame Liza.

• Is Dolly Too Frivolous  Sep 29 2016, 10:24:46 AM

One might ask the same question of Noel Coward plays or Shakespeare's comedies or Aristophanes or Charlie Chaplin movies. There is a human truth to comedy that your question displays a lack of experience with. Your question is like asking "Is Love's Labour's Lost too frivolous?" or "Is Private Lives too frivolous?" or "Is Mickey Mouse too frivolous?"

Comedy and tragedy have existed side by side since storytelling first began. Whil

• Lin-Manuel Miranda to host SNL  Sep 28 2016, 05:33:43 PM

I don't care whether he's "famous" or not--and there are many levels of famous in 2016, including Internet Famous and Twitter Famous and YouTube Famous--I think this is fabulous.

• LaChiusa  Sep 28 2016, 04:22:21 PM

Don't answer that question with the name of a composer. That will only stultify creativity.

Answer with a mood or a color or a tone...or a painter or an art movement or a historical period...or a kind of food or a season of the year or an emotion.

Judy Garland once said, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else."

• Vocal Dubbing in the Film Version of INTO THE WOODS  Sep 26 2016, 07:03:39 AM

That's not Murphy. Streep is a notorious mimic.

You've been STREEPED.

• Imelda as Rose coming to NY?  Sep 25 2016, 11:58:20 AM

I thought she overacted terribly on the video. I'd rather see her as Martha than Rose.

Backstage with Richard Ridge
Back to Falsettoland w/ OBC - Passing the Torch
Backstage Bite
BWW TV Exclusive: BACKSTAGE BITE with Katie Lynch and PARAMOUR's Ruby Lewis!
Turning the Tables
Randy Rainbow w/ FIDDLER Cast
  Chewing the Scenery with Randy Rainbow
SPAMILTON Takes Over at Broadway Sessions!